Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

(edited)

I don't know about Pearl, but Pearlite doesn't do a wonderful job--the highly esteemed Peach does!

I just go in the Closet--which I'm thinking of giving a do-over: maybe rosewood fittings, recessed lighting, and some small cameo portraits.

Oh, and a great big poster of The King in his Thunderbird jumpsuit! I so hope everyone will enjoy it...

Or I've already read a recap, which thankfully have their own thread, (and pearl does such a wonderful job for us).

They can sit at their own lunch table and I won't bother them. Ultimately nothing matters anyway and I may come back and delete this post because why bother?

Well, kids, I guess we'd better behave at the lunch table, 'cause otherwise Red won't give us any food.

Edited by pearlite
  • Love 3

I don't think it was a case of the Canadian's wanting their own lunch table

I don't either. I could care less where I post.. but it is nice to talk about the show we see when it happens. I sure didn't think it would upset anyone tho. Why not just skip a thread that pisses ya off.

I'm going to print it and give it a shot, thanks!

It is really a decadent food. I love butter tarts. :) With raisins for me. You are welcome.

• Love 1
(edited)

Oh hell, no, I'm not offended at all.

I'm glad, pearlite!  I had a really crappy super-stressful week, which has made me a bit oversensitive lately.  I probably misinterpreted your disclaimer about the use of "eh", but you gotta admit it was kind of LOUD!  ;>)  Also, our totally rad mod radishcake had some concerns about the possibility of the thread making people feel "segregated", but still thought it was worth trying out.  I really like it here at Previously.tv, and all of the witty posters are what make it so great, so I certainly didn't want to step on any toes.  

(Also, to Capricasix...you have my most favoritest username.  Every time I see a post from you, I think of Tricia Helfer!)

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 2

Hello folks! See this is what happens when I'm on a plane all day! I see we've had some disagreement over the CA thread and so far only one person seems offended and I hope they are feeling better now. If not take a martini and PM me all about it,

I still think it's totally fine to have it, I didn't think it was meant to segregate more that if people were excited to talk about things they could do it there and then come on over and talk about it some more once the ep aired in the US. So keep on keeping on and have a butter tart, it really will fix what ails you! <3

• Love 3

I like the CA thread and the idea that I can check over there early without having to deal with spoiler tags. I only travel spoiler-free when I have to and the only alternative is hiking around to various soap sites looking for a Canadian recap because if it is going to be a Lame day I like advance warning. I feel like I am welcome there even if I am not  an official Canadian and I don't live far from Vancouver BC if that counts.

• Love 3

I must try these butter tarts!

We used to tease our cousins in Milwaukee that they sounded like Canadians.  I don't remember them saying "Eh?" or "a-boot", but they definitely said "a-boat".

Of course, they said we sounded like Texans!  lol

• Love 1

LOL--I hate to complain about butter tarts as a Yank--but I hate raisins (I can do currants) and I do not have a food processor (well I have a hand me down one that has been in the garage for like 10 years in the box) I like to beat things by hand or in an extreme situation get out the old $9.99 hand mixer I got at Bartells Drugs---these tarts seem to be kinda like pecan pie tarts but still I want the Canadian experience so is there a recipe that does not yak about food processors? 

I don't live far from Vancouver BC

I love Vancouver. It is my favorite Canadian city. It is also my home town and I miss it. :)

I don't use a food processor. I stir these babies by hand too. Butter tarts are the bomb.  Most Canadian families have them around Christmas time.

(Also, to Capricasix...you have my most favoritest username.  Every time I see a post from you, I think of Tricia Helfer!)

Yay! I only wish I looked like her - she's pretty hot! I loved BSG, so many years ago when I was casting about for a username, I thought of that one.

• Love 1

LOL--I hate to complain about butter tarts as a Yank--but I hate raisins (I can do currants) and I do not have a food processor (well I have a hand me down one that has been in the garage for like 10 years in the box) I like to beat things by hand or in an extreme situation get out the old $9.99 hand mixer I got at Bartells Drugs---these tarts seem to be kinda like pecan pie tarts but still I want the Canadian experience so is there a recipe that does not yak about food processors? 

Oh, my goodness [Great-Aunt Fanny voice]!

Butter tarts are not classic cuisine--I imagine they were originally kind of a make-do thing that could be put together out of what was in the house.

Therefore, and based on experience: you can put anything you damn well please in the filling, so far as solid objects [nuts, dried fruit of any kind] go, or put no solid objects in there at all. A lot of people prefer them with no raisins or nuts.

Yes, they're pretty much what a pecan pie tart would be, if you put in pecans. And because these little jobbies pre-date electric mixers or food processors, of course you can hand-mix the filling. I've never done otherwise. I've attached two links: the first is from Canadian Living [who are pretty reliable as authorities on cooking]: http://www.canadianliving.com/food/baking_and_desserts/best_butter_tarts.php  This recipe, with the bit of vinegar, is pretty much what my mother made,

And here's another similar one, for comparison's sake: http://www.food.com/recipe/award-winning-butter-tarts-14756

• Love 1
(edited)

I click on this thread in error, and I'm so glad I did! Another TWOP refugee (escapee?), and a Canadian. Born and raised in Eastern Ontario, moved to B.C. as a young adult and have lived here ever since. Sixteen years in Vancouver and area, and 18 years in the Okanagan Valley. I see there are also fellow cat lovers on here - we have three now, down from a high of six.

So many interesting topics in this thread! Love buttertarts - my mom used to add walnuts rather than raisins - yum. I don't make them myself though - too tempting to eat them all.

I just recently discovered The Republic of Doyle - love it!! In fact I checked the thread on PTV and was sad to see it was empty. I have seen some of the second season and am now PVRing the third. Maybe I will post on that thread later and see if any ROD fans join me. : )

I love the idea of a Canadian thread where those of us who see the show a day early can post. I hate having to wait until the next day to snark, and most of my snarks aren't really spoilers. Often by the time it has aired in the U.S. I can't be bothered to post, or have forgotten what gems of wisdom I was going to contribute.

So glad I am not alone feeling that often the mods on TWOP were a bit over the top. Way too many rules that were inconsistently applied. Thank goodness for PTV!

Edited to add: I loved seeing "Hillary" from Y&R as a guest on a few episodes of Republic of Doyle as a love interest for Des!

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 1
(edited)

Username, I will gladly join you in the RoD thread! It's my favourite Canadian TV series. We can gush about Allan Hawco's hotness in a T-shirt (or out of it...). He did a guest appearance on Strombo a couple of years ago, and was trying to teach George how to speak Newf. It's hilarious - I'll see if I can find it on Youtube, and post the link.

I have a fondness for Eastern Ontario - my husband's parents live in Perth, and I lived in Ottawa in my formative years (i.e. my 20s :-) ).

Edited by Capricasix

Well, UsernameFatigue, I'm looking forward to more company in the Closet, so please step in any time.

I love the idea of a Canadian thread where those of us who see the show a day early can post. I hate having to wait until the next day to snark, and most of my snarks aren't really spoilers. Often by the time it has aired in the U.S. I can't be bothered to post, or have forgotten what gems of wisdom I was going to contribute.

That's exactly my feeling--I tend to forget the previous day's [current day's US] details, if not entire scenes. Doubtless, some the currently less-than-sterling writing has do with this. But snark is always best served fresh, I find.

You can add me to the list of cat lovers!  And some of my favorite internet cats are Canadians!  Shorty and Kodi of the Sho Ko Show on YouTube live in Toronto, I believe.  They're hilarious!

The butter tarts look excellent.  I think I'd like them either plain or with walnuts.  Are they a fall/winter thing?  They sound like they might be kind of rich.  I've never been able to find a recipe for pecan pie that didn't have corn syrup, so I'd like to give these a try.

• Love 1

Just posted on the Canadian thread - love it!

I haven't heard of the Sho Ko Show, but now will have to check it out.

I also watched Allan Hawt-co's interview with George on YouTube, and a few others than he has done. Yummy!

(edited)

You can add me to the list of cat lovers!  And some of my favorite internet cats are Canadians!  Shorty and Kodi of the Sho Ko Show on YouTube live in Toronto, I believe.  They're hilarious!

The butter tarts look excellent.  I think I'd like them either plain or with walnuts.  Are they a fall/winter thing?  They sound like they might be kind of rich.  I've never been able to find a recipe for pecan pie that didn't have corn syrup, so I'd like to give these a try.

Oh, Snaporaz [bTW, that name sometimes haunts me--I like it.], why did you put me on to ShoKo? "Purr Elise" is great! Whoever edited it to match the cats' movements with the Beethoven did a job!

My own four cats try to make me avoid cat videos--jealousy, I assume.

There is something called a Butter Tart Trail here in Southern Ontario, like a sightseeing route where you can buy the best butter tarts! It's actually not too far from where I live, so I may be doing some road trips with the kids this summer :yum

http://www.simplyexplore.ca/buttertart.htm

And there's a giant thread on Chowhound [Ontario, inc. Toronto] called "Toronto's best butter tarts aren't in Toronto," or something to that effect. That's where I read about bacon in butter tarts [nonononono].

Edited by pearlite
  • Love 1
(edited)

I was somewhere yesterday where a TV was on around 1PM and I heard a familiar voice. I looked up and saw Lauren's mom. I was surprized since I hadn't heard anything about her coming on the show and it is so rare when she does. So I'm watching and I'm like who are all these zombie models with her? It turns out it was another soap. And, jeez, it was worse than Y&R.

Edited by SweePea59
  • Love 1

It turns out it was another soap. And, jeez, it was worse than Y&R.

That would be DAYS.  Susan Seaforth Hayes was a favorite of Bill Bell's.  A  few years ago, by an accident of scheduling, she was on both soaps on the same day.  Bill Bell ran DAYS before he started Y&R.  The original contracts were issued by Corday Productions, which is still listed in the Y&R credits.  Ted Corday died soon after starting up DAYS, the first soap filmed in California.  His wife Betty Corday took over.  Bill Bell helped her get the show out of the dumps.  Betty was a consultant on Y&R until she died.  Her son Ken Corday runs the show now.  He regarded Bill Bell as a mentor and always speaks highly of him. 

• Love 2

This thread has such potential but seems to have stalemated..my nic pretty much tells my origin, Canadian and proud of it eh? My hubby of 55 years is an American..I want to welcome the newcomers who have followed me here from another forum where I posted as Rediculous..that has been discussed already in the Sharon thread so I will not elaborate further here...I love this Forum, love the freedom to pretty much post as we think, although I have been reined in a couple of times when needed by our very patient mods..LOL..I have a very intelligent little Yorkie who seems to understand every conversation and is usually one step ahead of my hubby and I when we are finalizing our plans to do anything..he keeps us on track...up thread there was discussion about the Canadian thread, I think it is wonderful that we can discuss what has happened on the Canadian show freely without giving away accidentally info to those who have not yet seen the show and do not like spoilers...have an amazing day all and happy posting..

• Love 2

Hi all,

If anyone lives in or around San Diego, I'm looking for some guidance about neighborhoods. I'm going out there in September on vacation and want to rent an apartment instead of staying in a hotel. Thoughts on the below? How close/far from downtown? How good/safe?

North Park
College West
Mission Bay
Clairemont
Little Italy
La Playa
Hillcrest
Cortez Hill
East Village
Golden Hill

I haven't been there in a few years but I would definitely stay out of North Park and Clairemont. I liked Mission Bay very much, it's downtown accessible . Can't say I know much about the others. Try Google earth?

(edited)

Nosy is most welcome in this instance, :) For one thing, hotels charge upwards of $20/day for parking. Also, vacation rentals tend to be much less expensive and offer privacy, a full kitchen (if you want to save moe money) and the chance to actually 'live' in the city. I rented a place in Venice Beach last year that was gorgeous. Nice, quiet neighborhood but six blocks from the beach and two blocks from dining, met the neighbors, one of whom made a point of coming over to ask what I was interested in, and telling me about a local art festival that I. Wouldn't have otherwise heard about, as well as some other out of ether way places,

I've thought about B&Bs but In not crazy about a room in someone's home, I like my creature confronts and want to be able to be on my own when I want, and not be on anyone else's schedule.

ETA, thanks whiteowl, I didn't think of google earth. I'll check it out. I know downtown pretty welcome having worked in the comics business and attended Conic Con for three years straight. But I never ventured outside that area (kind of tough when you're working from 7 am - 9 pm lol) and so I don't jobs any of the other neighborhoods, I plan to go to the zoo and probably spend a day or two at the safari park. And of course I'll likely eat most dinners in the gaslamp district.

Edited by Sake614
  • Love 1

Vacation rentals are the best, for all the reasons @Sake614 noted.  No hotel noise, (generally) a lot more space and freedom, a kitchen so you can save on food expenses, not to mention being able to relax at "home" for a meal or two.  Plus, the ones I've stayed in have typically been in residential neighborhoods, so you get a lot more of a local "feel" for where you're visiting.  And they're often significantly cheaper than a hotel, even though you get more space, more amenities, better and cheaper/free parking.

How do you find your rentals?  I really like vrbo.com, but I'm always on the lookout for something new.

• Love 1

I have a couple of sites that I check. Vrbo is one. I found my Venice rental last year on homeaway.com and have been checking airbnb this year. From what I see most of the listings are the same, with maybe a couple of different ones on each site. I loved my Venice rental last year, but don't see it on the site anymore, so I have to find another one. Good news is, after spending a week there last year, I have a pretty good feel for the neighborhood and can figure out from the map hoe far the houses are from the things I want. San Diego is the problem because like I said, I never ventured outside of the immediate downtown area when I was there. I'm going to spend a week in San Diego and a week in LA. Then come home and talk to the doctor about foot surgery. So this will likely be my Last hurrah for a while..

• Love 3

What does everyone see today?? I see mounds and mounds of snow, beautiful to look at but very treacherous underfoot and for driving..as some of you already know, one of my sons is a commercial airline pilot, he flies with Air Canada, a few times a year he takes his father and I flying in a private plane to look down and admire the landscape, we did that last week, flying low, looking down at the snow covered trees, fields, and the icy rivers and streams, and even rooftops is pure delight..the sun is shining so brightly on the snow right now, it hurts my eyes to look out my window, almost need sunglasses just to look out..what do others see today as you peer out your windows...

Edited by Canadian
  • Love 4

Oh man I WISH we had some snow. I think our winter might actually be over at this point. I passed a forsythia blooming while running errands this AM. ugh I need more winter to KILL BUGS. Summer mosquito clouds here we come.

• Love 4

I see a ton of snow as well. I was out with the dogs this morning and it is CHILLY!! I feed the birds all year long and they are so hungry right now.  The sun isn't really shining too brightly today but it has been out far more often than last month. 

I'm looking forward to season 2 of Vikings on Feb. 19th and Game of Thrones on April 12th. Wahoo!

• Love 6

What does everyone see today?? I see mounds and mounds of snow, beautiful to look at but very treacherous underfoot and for driving..as some of you already know, one of my sons is a commercial airline pilot, he flies with Air Canada, a few times a year he takes his father and I flying in a private plane to look down and admire the landscape, we did that last week, flying low, looking down at the snow covered trees, fields, and the icy rivers and streams, and even rooftops is pure delight..the sun is shining so brightly on the snow right now, it hurts my eyes to look out my window, almost need sunglasses just to look out..what do others see today as you peer out your windows...

AAAAck, really? I am a bit of an AVgeek - I live about 20 minutes' drive west of YYZ, right under the final approach to one of the east/west runways, and there's a lot of traffic over my house. What does your son fly, and where does he fly to?

• Love 2

I never noticed this topic before - how interesting.  I am looking out my window at a 3- level swimming pool with a fountain, and a gazebo, but I'm in Texas.  It's cold here (52) cold to us, but they clean the pool every morning year round.  Not wild about my little apartment, but choose it for the view.  I would love to be looking at snow for a while - my sister lived in the mountains in Colorado for years, and lives in Alaska now.  We went to Colorado a lot, but not Alaska.  I have a feeling she's rather be looking at my view right now

I'm jealous of the flying, Canadian - my daughter worked for AA for years, and we flew everywhere, but she retired early, after 9/11. We all miss the free flights - those were the days. Sigh.........Everyone have a great day!

Edited by movinon
  • Love 4

AAAAck, really? I am a bit of an AVgeek - I live about 20 minutes' drive west of YYZ, right under the final approach to one of the east/west runways, and there's a lot of traffic over my house. What does your son fly, and where does he fly to?

Right now he is flying a Boeing 787..that can change though as needed..his home Airport is Pearson International....you may be hearing some of his approaches...LOL

Edited by Canadian
  • Love 3

Oh man I WISH we had some snow. I think our winter might actually be over at this point. I passed a forsythia blooming while running errands this AM. ugh I need more winter to KILL BUGS. Summer mosquito clouds here we come.

wish I could send you some, I sure have some to spare!!! :0)

• Love 3