Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

AAHByER.img?h=552&w=750&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

AAIZmmw.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

1970 Plymouth Barracuda … Hello Baby.

One stolen moment we will live forever ...

• Love 10

AAJ1BnY.img?h=552&w=750&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

NINTCHDBPICT000531411590-e1571217672842.

• The Roads Driving Amazon Deforestation -- As Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro prepares to pave a road deep in the Amazon that could potentially spur economic development to the region, many fear it would be an ecological disaster. Deforestation has typically radiated quickly from road projects.
  • Archaeology of the 99% -- The vast majority of people in antiquity were too poor to leave many artifacts behind. But archaeologists have learned how to look beyond the temples and palaces.

FRANCE-MOULINROUGE-ANNIVERSARY_031019_1.

Axelle stretches as she warms up before performing the French Cancan.

3PCK7KXR5MI6TO362IBG5YGBTE.jpg

I do my hair toss, check my nails
Baby, how you feelin'? (Feelin' good as hell)

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 9

Well, if Professor S can rock the pleasure politics with Lizzo, good on her.

Perhaps it's an age-thing, or maybe it's because I'm not in a field like Gender Studies... I do have fun--in my way. And I have referred in passing to Lizzo in lectures, usually only to incite my riposte to students' amusement: "What? You think I live in a cave?'

• LOL 10

Bob Kingsley, Country Radio Legend, Dead at 80

Country radio legend Bob Kingsley, the longtime host of the nationally syndicated program Bob Kingsley’s Country Top 40, died early Thursday in Weatherford, Texas, following a lengthy battle with bladder cancer. He was 80 years old.

Kingsley had spent the last six decades of his life in radio. In 1978, he took over as the host of American Country Countdown after serving as producer for radio syndication company Watermark. Nearly 30 years later, in 2006, Kingsley and his wife and business partner, Nan Kingsley, established Bob Kingsley’s Country Top 40, which runs on more than 320 stations and is distributed by Westwood One. The beloved radio host was well known for his passion for country music.

"I love the music and the people who make it," he said, "and I want our listeners to have as much insight into both as I can give them, and to make the experience as enjoyable as possible."

Kingsley’s love for radio began as a child. Polio kept him in bed for a year and he would listen to the radio as a form of escape and entertainment. When he was 18, he joined the Air Force where he served in Keflavik, Iceland, and became an announcer on Armed Forces Radio. When he returned to the U.S., he would go on to work for countless stations including KFOX, KGBS, KFI, and KLAC in Los Angeles.

Robert Gibson Kingsley began his radio career on Armed Forces Radio while serving in the Air Force in Keflavik, Iceland. Upon returning stateside, he flourished with stations like KLAC in Los Angeles. His 60-plus year radio career brought him to a national audience in the 1970s when he became producer of American Country Countdown, a country Top 40 hits countdown show started by (and mirrored after a show hosted by) Casey Kasem. Don Bowman was the host of the show until Kingsley took over in 1978, beginning a nearly 30-reign as country music's recognizable voice. With a thick, warm and inviting baritone, Kingsley was the gold standard in country music announcing and storytelling.

In 2006 he began a new chapter when Bob Kingsley's Country Top 40 took to the air. At the time of his passing, he was heard on more than 300 stations worldwide, and in his later years, he continued to notch honors and accolades. In 2014, Kingsley was the inaugural recipient of the Living Legend Award, which now bears his name and recognizes notable music industry professionals. He was elected to the National Radio Hall of Fame in 2016, cementing a legacy that included several ACM, CMA and CRB Awards. Throughout his life he also donated time and money to numerous charitable initiatives, especially those that involved the military. 

Kingsley and Nan, his wife of 30 years, lived on their ranch in Weatherford, just west of Fort Worth, Texas. In announcing his sabbatical from the radio show, Kingsley revealed that women of country would take turns guest-hosting his weekly show until the end of the year.

A celebration of life will be held in Nashville on, Nov. 14 at 1:00 p.m. at The CMA Theater at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made in Kingsley’s name to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum or the Grand Ole Opry Trust Fund.

-- I grew up listening to Bob Kingsley on the radio before working with him through a sister station in LA. He was an open supporter of women in radio and headlining country music, and a true gentleman. Godspeed, Bob.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 2

peacheslatour posted this in Getting to Genoa You:

ATTENTION RAY WISE FANS: Decades is having a Twin Peaks marathon all weekend!

"Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?"

Love Ray Wise! If there was ever a villain that needed to return to Genoa City it's Ian Ward.

We had Sunday dinner with the Things and Nana, and they chattered excitedly about the Twin Peaks marathon. Nana commented that she and Grandfather Stunt watched TP avidly when it was broadcast. They thought David Lynch was an unusual, sometimes confusing storyteller, but couldn't wait until the next episode.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Twin Peaks!  One of my all time favs.  Boychild was down for hubby's birthday this weekend for a couple of days and we had it on with no sound just going..."Man, I forgot she/he was in this!"  Good times.  I taped a few for later.  We never missed it back in the day. 1990/91...man do time fly.

Lots of vintage clothing, too.  Heavy on the 40's/50's.  Loved it!

....and yes, Ray Wise is the man!

Edited by OhioSongbird
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, ByTor said:

Twin Peaks...I have never seen a show with such a good season 1 have such a bad season 2.

It's true. I thought Laura Palmer's murder should have never been solved, and ended Season 2 as a cliffhanger … A thousand tantalizing clues, disturbing pieces of evidence, relationships and intrigues to be untangled, astonishing behaviors and felonies to sort through, and askew interrogations to translate against what was known. Let a million fan fictions blossom … 

The Twin Peaks broadcast seasons are two separate tv shows with similar characters in common: Season 1 first nine episodes are beautiful, then it turns into a Soap, while Season 2 dug up a new mystery, with odd staging, and desperate dramatic tempo. Season 3 started out as a love letter to Season 1 and what might have been, then deliberately went off the rails. The movie was a grim first edit for Lynch's masterpiece Mulholland Drive.

The created world of Twin Peaks is lush and stark in equal measures, and is never what we think it is. It was more than a murder mystery procedural with a sardonic twist. Every scene of Season 1 first nine episodes was atypical David Lynch (notoriously surrealist director and writer) funneling his sensibilities through a broadcast network filter, or trying to, anyway. Everything that followed had possibilities, but overall weak tea from how Twin Peaks began.

Without Twin Peaks there never would have been The Sopranos, X-Files, Mad Men, Lost, Northern Exposure, The Leftovers, Psych and Homeland -- Not a total loss.

Fire Walk with Me Indeed. 

• Love 10

og-jerusalem-street.adapt.1900.jpg?auto=

img.jpg

luxuryjet8.jpg

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

blog_make-dogs-day_101619_main.jpg

Hi, Tripod!

800.jpeg

?m=02&d=20191022&t=2&i=1443662314&r=LYNX

Japan's Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako attends the enthronement ceremony where he officially proclaims his ascension to the Chrysanthemum Throne at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo. Kazuhiro Nogi/Pool via REUTERS -- Reuters Photos -- Japanese Emperor Naruhito's enthronement ceremony

• Halloween costumes have a size problem -- “I’ve always made my own Halloween costumes just by putting stuff together,” says Alexis Krase, proprietor of Plus Bklyn, a plus-size specialty boutique in New York. “If I want to be a black cat, I’ll pull out all the black stuff from my wardrobe and draw on whiskers. That’s because I can’t find an out-of-the-box costume that fits me.”

<sob>

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:
On 10/21/2019 at 9:55 AM, Cupid Stunt said:
7 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Prince estate releases unheard acoustic track

This is great!💜💜💜

My own private Iceland

Commenting on the lamb- I grew up on Icelandic lamb. It's extremely gamy and I never liked it; until hangikjöt. I haven't eaten meat in about 30 years but when I get back to Iceland I will probably partake. It's salt and smoke cured and like nothing you've ever eaten. My Grammie used to serve it with creamy béchamel potatoes. It's so freaking good, my mouth is watering thinking about it. Hubs and I are going to try to get to Europe via Iceland next year. It's been 20 years and my family has be hounding me to come back. It's a magical place.

Edited by jpagan05
  • Love 9
39 minutes ago, jpagan05 said:

For @boes and other Carpenter fans. Does anyone else own this album? It's really fun.

220px-If_i_were_carpenter.jpg.219b43d0bc4231edf1386d87884d9b2d.jpg

This is FABULOUS!  Thanks so much, Jpagan05, I had NO idea this existed!  My listening pleasure for the next day or so is guaranteed!

How exciting for you to go home to Iceland again, after all these years.  The anticipation, the memories, you must be rich with both.  

• Love 8
2 hours ago, jpagan05 said:

Commenting on the lamb- I grew up on Icelandic lamb. It's extremely gamy and I never liked it; until hangikjöt. I haven't eaten meat in about 30 years but when I get back to Iceland I will probably partake. It's salt and smoke cured and like nothing you've ever eaten. My Grammie used to serve it with creamy béchamel potatoes. It's so freaking good, my mouth is watering thinking about it. Hubs and I are going to try to get to Europe via Iceland next year. It's been 20 years and my family has be hounding me to come back. It's a magical place.

I would love to visit Iceland for the Northern Lights alone. They’re on my bucket list.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, jpagan05 said:

For @boes and other Carpenter fans. Does anyone else own this album? It's really fun.

220px-If_i_were_carpenter.jpg.219b43d0bc4231edf1386d87884d9b2d.jpg

I remember Richard Carpenter venomously censuring the album at an industry convention and in the press. The speculation was because he wasn't involved in carefully curating The Carpenters songbook, while others had their own idea about the music. He's a vigilant proponent of the original Carpenters recordings and their integrity is to be seen through a narrow lens.  

I love The Carpenters. Karen Carpenter was an accomplished drummer and rhythm section in the early recordings, but her voice was so rare and perfect. It had a silky quality, a tone that was rich and full, with perfect pitch that held the note dead center. Her intonation and feeling, that perfect melancholy catch in her voice, tells a story of loss and sadness even in the most buoyant of songs. The microphone loved Karen Carpenter. To this day, no one can touch Karen Carpenter's vocal emotion and pure quality. Like Patsy Cline or Roy Orbison, her voice is from another time and place.

Richard was an excellent pianist and instrumentalist, music writer, orchestral arranger, and producer, with a lovely voice that blended and harmonized seamlessly with Karen's. His music wasn't difficult or complicated, but it was in his technical production where his perfectionism and genius is fully apparent. I understand he was a big fan of Les Paul and Mary Ford's recordings, and their dubbing/over-dubbing style is a regular feature in most of the Carpenters arrangement and recordings.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 10

stanford-university-1.jpg

• The WeWork mess, explained  -- From the “next Alibaba” to a financial liability for SoftBank, here’s how the coworking startup got to this point.

depositphotos_61604747-stock-photo-chino

191022144536-wonders-of-the-universe-102

• A Healthy Baby Food Initiative -- A new study finds 95 percent of tested baby foods contain toxic chemicals that lower babies’ IQ, including arsenic and lead.
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6

capture.jpg

?m=02&d=20191023&t=2&i=1444235936&w=780&

A demonstrator holds a flag that reads "New Constitution" during a protest against Chile's state economic model in Santiago, Chile October 23, 2019. REUTERS/Ivan Alvarado

california-legislators-make-last-minute-

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7

Preverts, I need your help.  Does anyone remember a TV show many decades that had a lead character that resembled Bill Barr?  He was a cartoonist or maybe animator and he drew cartoons and they came to life in the show.  Am I dreaming this or was this a real thing?  I did try to google and find, but whenever I googled anything that said:  Bill Barr resembles an actor, a cartoonist, an animator...the sites that came up said he resembles a toad!

I can totally picture this guy, and I think he a brush cut in the show.  He is a well known actor and I cannot come up with his name.

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, Gloriole33 said:

I believe you are remembering "My World and Welcome to It" starring William Windom, which ran on NBC in 1969-70.  It was based on the the writings of James Thurber.

OMG, you are so awesome.  Strange that I would remember this one season series when I was a kid.  But it is the actor, who was then on Murder She Wrote!  Didn't he play the doc?  

He is the one I think looks like Bill Barr.  Yikes, my memory/brain is a scary thing.  I actually pictured the older William Windom on that short-lived show. 😮

• Love 6
57 minutes ago, Gloriole33 said:

I believe you are remembering "My World and Welcome to It" starring William Windom, which ran on NBC in 1969-70.  It was based on the the writings of James Thurber.

11 minutes ago, bannana said:

OMG, you are so awesome.  Strange that I would remember this one season series when I was a kid.  But it is the actor, who was then on Murder She Wrote!  Didn't he play the doc?  

He is the one I think looks like Bill Barr.  Yikes, my memory/brain is a scary thing.  I actually pictured the older William Windom on that short-lived show. 😮

He was also the lead in the wonderful 60's sitcom, "The Farmer's Daughter", with Inger Stevens and Cathleen Nesbit, based on the old Loretta Young movie with Ethel Barrymore.

Ah, memories!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, boes said:

He was also the lead in the wonderful 60's sitcom, "The Farmer's Daughter", with Inger Stevens and Cathleen Nesbit, based on the old Loretta Young movie with Ethel Barrymore.

Ah, memories!

I kind of remember that series, because of Inger Stevens.  Didn't she die young and tragically?

P.S.  Does anyone else think he resembles Bill Barr?

• Love 4

main_900.jpg?1571974587

A general view shows Tokyo's Ginza district on October 23, 2019. -- Charly Triballeau / AFP / Getty -- The Atlantic Photos of the Week: In Focus

officialsolv.jpg

800.jpeg

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

The fires are upon us up here in Northern California, and down south as well.  Cupid Stunt, what's going on where you're at?

We have my niece and her two boys here from Healdsburg.  They have been under an evacuation warning since early yesterday, and with the air full of smoke and ash falling from the sky, they got out of there.  Her husband has stayed behind, he's part of the volunteer fire department up there.  Tomorrow she'll go further south, down the SF Peninsula to her mother in law's, where the air should be cleaner, one of the boys has asthma.  I think we'll keep the dog here, maybe not if we lose power.  Right now, according to the map we're not supposed to but we should know by early morning if that changes.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, boes said:

The fires are upon us up here in Northern California, and down south as well.  Cupid Stunt, what's going on where you're at?

We have my niece and her two boys here from Healdsburg.  They have been under an evacuation warning since early yesterday, and with the air full of smoke and ash falling from the sky, they got out of there.  Her husband has stayed behind, he's part of the volunteer fire department up there.  Tomorrow she'll go further south, down the SF Peninsula to her mother in law's, where the air should be cleaner, one of the boys has asthma.  I think we'll keep the dog here, maybe not if we lose power.  Right now, according to the map we're not supposed to but we should know by early morning if that changes.

@boes I am keeping you, your family and everyone else in CA in my prayers.  My husband's family is more in SoCal, scattered from Santa Barbara, Ventura, LA, all the way down the coast to San Diego and we're keeping tabs.  The wind is awful.

Please be safe!

• Love 7
6 hours ago, boes said:

(((boes))) Don't hesitate and stay safe. 

The Tick Fire in Santa Clarita is north and slightly west of us (24 miles) on Hwy5; it's about 10% contained. The Sylmar Fire last week left a 5-9 mile wide burn area between us and Santa Clarita and us -- Not much comfort when the fire zone maps across the state keep shifting with the forcasted 50-70+ MPH winds. PG&E has power shut downs proposed all through the state.

We moved the outdoor activities of tonight's Halloween party indoors because of the wind and air quality. Bowling for Crap has turned into Karaoke for Crap -- Terrifying! 

We've had a few cancelations from guests, and it's understandable. The whole city is on edge from the weather and fire danger. Many are preparing for the worst because it's already here. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

(((boes))) Don't hesitate and stay safe. 

The Tick Fire in Santa Clarita is north and slightly west of us (24 miles) on Hwy5; it's about 10% contained. The Sylmar Fire last week left a 5-9 mile wide burn area between us and Santa Clarita and us -- Not much comfort when the fire zone maps across the state keep shifting with the forcasted 50-70+ MPH winds. PG&E has power shut downs proposed all through the state.

We moved the outdoor activities of tonight's Halloween party indoors because of the wind and air quality. Bowling for Crap has turned into Karaoke for Crap -- Terrifying! 

We've had a few cancelations from guests, and it's understandable. The whole city is on edge from the weather and fire danger. Many are preparing for the worst because it's already here. 

BE WELL AND BE SAFE

• Love 9

(((hugs))) to all in CA!!   Stay safe and remember house and possessions are replaceable...you guys aren't.

Hubby's sister and husband live in San Francisco and they are on pins and needles.  They got totally burned out back in the '80's (barely got out with the clothes on their backs) and don't want to go thru that again.  Rebuilt on the same spot...on top of a hill overlooking the city.  Beautiful location.

Will be sending prayers your way, too.

• Love 10

This is a fire update in boes general location: Kincade fire surges, burning winery properties; much of Santa Rosa evacuated

LA Tick Fire Latest: Wildfire Burning In Santa Clarita Now 55 Percent Contained -- Evacuation order lifted.

We had a fun, but smaller party than was planned. We took the untouched food to the Dorothy Day Center where Thing2 volunteers.

Wifi keeps fluctuating locally. Thank you for all your prayers.

• Love 10

We're okay so far, one of the few areas around here still with power.  The evacuation order last night encompasses virtually all of Sonoma County, from the wine country all the way to the coast.  Any of you who have been out here and visited the wine country or drove along the coast north of San Francisco will have a good idea of what that means.  The winds are blowing east to southwest, luckily not so far south as to threaten San Francisco or the North Bay, though Marin County is under an almost complete power blackout.

We've had three fires close by spring up late last night/early morning, all about 20/30 minutes away, all now contained - God Bless those firefighters! - have a new, bigger, uncontained one, now, at the Carquinez Bridge straits, jumped the straits so is now buring on both sides, near the refineries, evacuations in place there.  The winds are very strong.  No evacuation warning or order in place for our exact area so we're staying put.

The air is pretty awful and the sky is dirty orange.  Tree branches are coming down everywhere and when we were out picking up extra propane all I could think of was how, in the current fire areas, those branches being tossed by the wind would be fire sticks ready to start another blaze.  

The roads are full of cars, all heading in one direction, away from the fires.  We were out early with the folks from our local church, St. Francis - ( not a member, I'm a devoutly lapsed catholic) - dropping off bottled water and fruit boxes for the evacuting motorists, who have been stuck in this traffic all night and morning long.  Remarkable how well people are behaving.

Edited by boes
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, boes said:

We're okay so far, one of the few areas around here still with power.  The evacuation order last night encompasses virtually all of Sonoma County, from the wine country all the way to the coast.  Any of you who have been out here and visited the wine country or drove along the coast north of San Francisco will have a good idea of what that means.  The winds are blowing east to southwest, luckily not so far south as to threaten San Francisco or the North Bay, though Marin County is under an almost complete power blackout.

We've had three fires close by spring up late last night/early morning, all about 20/30 minutes away, all now contained - God Bless those firefighters! - have a new, bigger, uncontained one, now, at the Carquinez Bridge straits, jumped the straits so is now buring on both sides, near the refineries, evacuations in place there.  The winds are very strong.  No evacuation warning or order in place for our exact area so we're staying put.

The air is pretty awful and the sky is dirty orange.  Tree branches are coming down everywhere and when we were out picking up extra propane all I could think of was how, in the current fire areas, those branches being tossed by the wind would be fire sticks ready to start another blaze.  

The roads are full of cars, all heading in one direction, away from the fires.  We were out early with the folks from our local church, St. Francis - ( not a member, I'm a devoutly lapsed catholic) - dropping off bottled water and fruit boxes for the evacuting motorists, who have been stuck in this traffic all night and morning long.  Remarkable how well people are behaving.

OMG, what a hellscape. I've driven up through the wine country and the coast as far as Eureka. It's so beautiful there, this just breaks my heart. The only consolation is that I hope, after this the area will come back the way the Cloumbia Valley did after Mt. St. Helens blew. Please stay safe and bless you for helping your fellow humans. I hope and pray the animals are able to get out as well.

• Love 10

I’ve been really worried about you @boes and @Cupid Stunt and your friends and neighbors and the wild life in CA. ❤️ 🙏🏼 💞

I can’t imagine what people and the animals are going through out there.  I just pray people and the wildlife or abandoned pets make it out safe and feel terrible the ones who do homes are damaged or destroyed. 

• Love 6

URDTGMHXG4I6TMWSD434TWBNXM.jpg

• Emotional support dogs on planes -- I've been on planes with seeing eye dogs with no issue, but the ESA ferret across the aisle … hissing, lunging, growling and the ever-popular spraying … made for an odiferous and exasperating experience.
  • College admissions scam -- Mossimo Giannulli, husband of actress Lori Loughlin, told his accountant that he had to "work the system" to get his older daughter accepted into USC, prosecutors alleged in a new indictment this week bringing additional bribery charges against the couple. 

tag:reuters.com,2019:newsml_LYNXMPEF9R0B

giphy.gif

G.Dragon is rapper in pinstriped open vest

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

Little Feat Guitarist Paul Barrere Dead At 71

Little Feat guitarist and singer Paul Barrere died at the age of 71 on Saturday morning, October 26th. Born in July 1948 in Burbank, CA, Barrere joined Little Feat in 1972 and would go on to provide notable contributions to the rock band’s catalog throughout the rest of the 1970s and again with their eventual reunion, in addition to outside collaborations with other artists, recording and performed with Taj Mahal, Jack Bruce, Chicken Legs, Blues Busters, Valerie Carter, Helen Watson, Chico Hamilton, Robert Palmer, Eikichi Yazawa, and Carly Simon.

Barrere’s death was confirmed with a statement shared to Little Feat’s social media accounts on Saturday evening, which reads:

“It is with great sorrow that Little Feat must announce the passing of our brother guitarist, Paul Barrere, this morning at UCLA Hospital. We ask for your kindest thoughts and best wishes to go out especially to his widow Pam and children Gabriel, Genevieve, and Gillian, and to all the fans who were his extended family.

Paul auditioned for Little Feat as a bassist when it was first being put together—in his words, “as a bassist I make an excellent guitarist”—and three years later joined the band in his proper role on guitar. Forty-seven years later, he was forced to miss the current tour, which will end tomorrow, due to side effects from his ongoing treatment for liver disease.

He promised to follow his doctor’s orders, get back in shape, and rock on the beach at the band’s annual gathering in Jamaica in January 2020. “Until then,” he wrote, “keep your sailin’ shoes close by…if I have my way, you’re going to need them!”

As the song he sang so many times put it, he was always “Willin’,” but it was not meant to be. Paul, sail on to the next place in your journey with our abiding love for a life always dedicated to the muse and the music. We are grateful for the time we have shared.

Barrere was not an original member of Little Feat, but joined three years into the group’s tenure, in 1972, in time for one of their most enduring albums, “Dixie Chicken.” During the original run of the band, before George died, Barrere co-wrote some of their signature songs, including “Skin It Back,” “Feats Don’t Fail Me Now,” “Down on the Farm” and “Time Loves A Hero.”

After George died in 1979, the group disbanded, and Barrere released a pair of solo albums, before Little Feat reformed in 1987, overcoming fans’ suspicions about how they would go with a successful resumption that involved occasional studio albums and regular touring.

Barrere was forced to miss a number of the band’s fall 2019 tour performances due to complications from liver disease. Larry Campbell and Teresa Williams filled in for Barrere throughout much of October, with former Gregg Allman Band musical director Scott Sharrard also stepping in to help close the remainder of the band’s ongoing 50th-anniversary tour.

Barrere’s attitude seemed rather optimistic at the time of his initial break from the tour, which he explained in a statement open the announcement earlier this month.

“As many of you know, for the past several years I have been dealing with liver disease,” Barrere bravely stated back in early October. “When we finished the second leg of our ’50th Anniversary Tour,’ I was beginning to develop some edema, which has been making some things a little more difficult. It has been a bit of a roller coaster as I go through the treatments my medical team has prescribed, and I have had good days and not so good days. Lately, the not so good days have been more common. I have met with my team at UCLA and they have told me that what I am experiencing is common and treatable. However, the timing is not ideal, as they have directed me to stay home in October while they fine-tune the treatment in order to get me back to where the good days are the norm.”

Sadly, Barrere would never return to his “good days,” as his liver disease progressed over the past few weeks to the point where his body could no longer cope. His liver disease came as a result of a Hepatitis C diagnosis in 1994.

Little Feat's performance at Portland, OR’s Revolution Hall this past spring with Paul Barrere.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/25/2019 at 8:09 AM, Cupid Stunt said:

Police officer resigns after video shows him using excessive force on an 11-year-old girl -- The incident has reignited a debate about police presence in schools.

There is a 90 minute video that shows what transpired before and after.  If you have time, it is worth watching.  He had no reason to put his hands on her to begin with and then when he did, he was ridiculously brutal.  He made comments about her being a big girl, as if to defend his actions.  The other cops who showed up all handled the situation more sanely, and you could tell they were not believing this school cop.

The girl was not threatening anyone and she was just walking around, waiting for her mother to pick her up.  She clearly has some behaviour issues, but last I checked, we don't physically assault children who misbehave in school.  At least not in this century.  😢

Doing okay, thank you for asking, jpagan05, Petunia13, all you wonderful preverts

.  Today was relatively calm after yesterday.  The winds were very calm today so there weren't all the spot fires that got started due to blowing embers, spot fires that stayed that way because of all the fire crews who seem to work nonstop in the worst conditions.  Yesterday there were seven separate fires that started from within 4 to 11 miles of the house and all but one were put out with no loss of live and only a minimal loss of property.  Six of those fires were due to the winds carrying embers to brush or trees that ignited immediately, and one was due to a downed power line.  That one landed on the grounds of a tennis club during a children's tournament, set the club house on fire, spread to both sides of the road and caused a neighborhood evacuation.  The firefighters got it out and safe within about 3 hours.  That's pretty much how the others went around here, except for one that burnt a 1000 acres on a nature preserve called Grizzly Island - they let that one be a controlled burn, how they managed is anyone's guess - and the other shut down the bridge over the Carquinez Straits, with motorists stranded between two walls of fire for some heart pounding moments.  It was touch and go but it also got put out.

But the winds drove the bulk of the fire, which is north of us, into overdrive, going from 30000 acres to 66000 by morning.  The winds are picking up again later tonight and tomorrow morning. 

October out here used to be the Bay Area secret time to have everyone visit, because the weather was perfect - warm, for here anyway, not much fog, pretty much perfect weather for being outdoors, but now it's become scary ass fire season.

Cupid Stunt, hows it with you and down south?

• Love 8