Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

Love me some Waylon...and Willie.

Yes ma'am!

It's pretty quiet on the Island post-Labor Day. Mr.Stunt and I have gotten in lots of kiteboarding, bike riding, napping and horseback riding. After dinner, we take a carriage into town and party with the locals. One of the bar's juke box has a great selection of 60-80s C&W, and I've been blowing that sucker up. We're draft beer, shots and a show. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

?m=02&d=20190909&t=2&i=1428095894&w=780&

Lesleigh Coyer, 25, of Saginaw, Michigan, lies down in front of the grave of her brother, Ryan Coyer, who served with the U.S. Army in both Iraq and Afghanistan, at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia March 11, 2013. Ryan Coyer died of complications from an injury sustained in Afghanistan. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

heatwave_phoenix_board_3.0.jpg

AAGXYCQ.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

Torch and twang from the streets of Bakersfield, California.

Ohhh, Suki ...

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Jimmy Johnson, Muscle Shoals Guitarist Who Backed Soul & Rock Giants, Dead at 76

Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section member could be heard on hundreds of records and worked with Aretha Franklin, Paul Simon, Wilson Pickett and Lynyrd Skynyrd

Jimmy Johnson, the guitarist for the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section (a.k.a. “the Swampers”)  whose foundational R&B-based playing could be heard on hundreds of records, including iconic hits by Aretha Franklin, Paul Simon, Wilson Pickett and Lynyrd Skynyrd, died at the age of 76. His death was confirmed by his son Jay Johnson, who did not reveal a cause of death. “He is gone,” his son wrote on Facebook. “Playing music with the angels now.”

“The mighty Jimmy Johnson has passed,” Jason Isbell, who grew up in the Shoals area, said on Twitter. “A lot of my favorite music wouldn’t exist without him.”

Growing up in the South in the 1950s, Johnson was drawn to the blooming sounds of rock, R&B and the electric blues. “I guess you’d say my inspiration was Chuck Berry,” he said in an interview earlier this year. “My parents always tried to get me to play country music and I just didn’t like it that much.”

Johnson began to study the guitar-playing of artists like Berry, Jimmy Reed and Bo Diddley. After gigging in the Northwest Alabama area as a teenager, Johnson began working at Rick Hall’s FAME studios in Muscle Shoals in the early Sixties, where he eventually began playing on sessions by R&B greats like Aretha Franklin, Etta James, and Clarence Carter. Asked about the secret to his backing band’s ability to back such a wide cross section of American pop music earlier this year, Johnson had a simple answer. “We would try to never play the same lick twice,” he said.

In 1969, Johnson, alongside FAME backup musicians Roger Hawkins, Barry Beckett, and David Hood, left Hall to found the Muscle Shoals Sound Studio. Over the next decade, everyone from Paul Simon and Bob Dylan to Cher and Jimmy Cliff would record at the studio, using the Swampers as their backup band. At Muscle Shoals Sound, Johnson also became an influential recording engineer, serving as the engineer for the Rolling Stones’ famous Sticky Fingers” sessions in 1969, which produced “Wild Horses,” “Brown Sugar” and “You Gotta Move.”

Despite being a member of one of the most foundational session groups in American musical history, Johnson was a humble musician who was never eager for attention. “The best way to put it is we consider ourselves backup players,” he said recently, “not stars.”

In later years, Johnson remained active in the Shoals’ music community, producing and engineering records at his own Swamper Sound Studio and serving as a member of the board for the Alabama Music Hall of Fame. Johnson enjoyed a resurgence in the interest of the area after playing a large role in the 2013 documentary Muscle Shoals, which told the story of FAME and the Muscle Shoals Sound Studio.

“The name was based on all the water around here, the Tennessee River, you know that kind of thing – and it has inspired a lot of our music,” Johnson said in 2014, explaining the origin of the name of his band. “People have always asked, ‘Why did it happen here? Tell us why?’ And we would say, ‘It’s in the water!’ But we were honored to be a bunch of southern rednecks who were able to play so many different types of music.”

Johnson always remained humble, Hood said, recalling how Johnson’s mother would host home-cooked dinners for “all these rock and roll people” in their small home in Sheffield.

Johnson is survived by his son, Jay Johnson, who wrote on Facebook: “He is gone. Playing music with the angels now.”

• Love 4

Thought and prayers for all 9/11 families.

Hubby and I were talking about that morning and where we were.  It's indelible.  Here it was a pristine blue sky...not a cloud in sight.  He was walking the dog and out on the road so he had no clue, I didn't have the TV on....unusual for me...and my friend called and said "Are you watching the news??"  "No"  "Turn it on!"  I did and it was PBS'  Barney  "All I see is a big purple dinosaur"  "Change the channel!"  Damn, couldn't believe what I saw.  I yelled to hubby get in here right now! 

We will never forget.

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Thought and prayers for all 9/11 families.

Hubby and I were talking about that morning and where we were.  It's indelible.  Here it was a pristine blue sky...not a cloud in sight.  He was walking the dog and out on the road so he had no clue, I didn't have the TV on....unusual for me...and my friend called and said "Are you watching the news??"  "No"  "Turn it on!"  I did and it was PBS'  Barney  "All I see is a big purple dinosaur"  "Change the channel!"  Damn, couldn't believe what I saw.  I yelled to hubby get in here right now! 

We will never forget.

We had that exact same weather here in Seattle. It was a glorious early fall day, crisp and clear. My husband had left to take our son to school and I turned on the radio to listen to while I got ready for work. They were talking about the Pentagon being evacuated and I thought "Oh, those wacky morning guys." But something felt off so I turned on CNN. I was still a florist back then and we had a big event we were doing for Boeing that evening. Of course that got cancelled. The owner called and said not to come in because there would be nothing to do so I spent the day alternating between watching the news and cleaning like a maniac.

• Love 8

I was standing in line to check in for my return flight at Dallas/Fort Worth Airport. The overhead TVs suddenly switched to video of the World Trade North Tower with a smoking hole in the side of the building. Then a plane flew into the South Tower. I grabbed my suit case and ran to the Avis car rental desk. By the time they handed me the keys to the first available car, there were a couple hundred people fighting in line to rent a car. I drove the wheels off that DeVille  to get back to my family in LA.

• Love 10

Daniel Johnston, Austin Cult Singer-Songwriter, Dead at 58

Outsider music hero had been hospitalized with a kidney malfunction before his death of natural causes .

Daniel Johnston, the outsider folk artist whose childlike pleas for love captivated the likes of Kurt Cobain, Matt Groening and Tom Waits, died Wednesday of natural causes, his family confirmed in a statement. He was 58.

“The Johnston family is deeply saddened to announce the death of their brother, Daniel Johnston,” his family said in a statement. “He passed away from natural causes this morning at his home outside of Houston, Texas.

“Daniel was a singer, songwriter, an artist, and a friend to all. Although he struggled with mental health issues for much of his adult life, Daniel triumphed over his illness through his prolific output of art and songs. He inspired countless fans, artists, and songwriters with his message that no matter how dark the day, ‘the sun shines down on me’ and ‘true love will find you in the end.'”

For years, Johnson had contended with both physical and mental health issues. Although he had been diagnosed with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, his physical wellbeing suffered after he took a fall and was hospitalized; he also had to grapple  with changes in his medication routine.

“Keeping him healthy has been the struggle and when he’s not well, you deal with a different person,” Johnston’s brother Dick said in an interview Wednesday. Johnston had been hospitalized last week with a kidney malfunction, his brother said, and returned home on Tuesday. “He was lucid and in good spirits,” Dick said. “As good as I’ve seen him in years. The [ankle] swelling was down and the problem looked good. He was happy to be home.”

On Tuesday night at approximately 8:30 p.m., a caretaker went to check on Johnston, but the musician declined to see them. His body was discovered in his room on Wednesday morning, according to his brother. No autopsy will be conducted.

The singer will best be remembered for his warbly, high tenor and simplistic ruminations on love and life on songs like “Life in Vain,” “True Love Will Find You in the End,” and “Walking the Cow.” On his best songs, his voice ached with earnestness and longing, features that attracted a number of high-profile fans. Cobain (who stated in interviews that Johnston was among the “greatest” songwriters) notably wore a T-shirt repping Johnston’s Hi, How Are You album to the 1992 MTV Video Music Awards, and artists including Flaming Lips, Death Cab for Cutie, Bright Eyes, and Beck have all covered his songs.

“There are not enough words I can say about the important and vitality of Daniel Johnston’s musical spirit,” Zola Jesus wrote on Twitter. “He was a huge inspiration to me, to follow my creative impulses no matter how messy or simple.”

“Some people really liked me, and other people were making fun of me they thought I was a freak show,” Johnston told Rolling Stone in 1994. “I was just all wrapped up in the middle of it like a total psychopath. Not like a killer or anything. More like a way-out teddy bear. … And if people were making fun of me, if they have a good time making fun of me, then that’s just as good, really. I’m entertaining them. Maybe I’m more of a comedian than they know.”

The 2005 documentary The Devil and Daniel Johnston brought his music and story, including a sequence about how Johnston shockingly threw the key to a two-seat plane he was in out the window, to a wider audience.

“Well, it sure was embarrassing,” Johnston told the Chronicle of the film in 2005. “Every terrible dilemma, every fabled mistake. Nothing I can do about it now, though. I wish they’d added a laugh track to it, because it sure is funny.”

Johnston was born the youngest of five children on January 22nd, 1961 in Sacramento, California. His family relocated to New Cumberland, West Virginia, where Daniel fell in love with the Beatles and other rock musicians. He made his first album, Songs of Pain, in 1980, and got his commercial breakthrough three years later with Hi, How Are You, which came out on the indie label Homestead.

"When I was growing up, after church, everybody shook hands and would say, ‘Hi. How are you?'” Johnston told The Chronicle last year. “I always heard it, even at the funeral home when there was some dead person who died of old age. The undertaker said to me, and I was just a little boy, ‘Hi. How are you?’ That’s how that started.”

Around this time, Johnston moved to Texas and lived with family. He would hand out tapes of his music for free around Austin and eventually got enough buzz that MTV made a feature on him. The exposure brought him to the attention of artists on the college-rock circuit like the Dead Milkmen, Mike Watt, Sonic Youth, and the Butthole Surfers. The Lyon Opera Ballet staged a 25-minute piece set to songs from his Yip/Jump Music album in 1992, and galleries around the world sought out his artwork to display.

Johnston signed to major label Atlantic in 1994 and issued Fun, which found him collaborating with the Butthole Surfers’ Paul Leary. It sold around 12,000 copies, which wasn’t enough to keep him in the majors. Over the years, he also collaborated with Half Japanese’s Jad Fair, Yo La Tengo, Mark Linkous of Sparklehorse and Okkervil River, among others; many of those artists, plus Flaming Lips, Beck, Waits and more, contributed to a tribute album to Johnston in 2004.

His last album, Space Ducks, came out in 2010. In 2015, Lana Del Rey covered Johnston’s “Some Things Last a Long Time” for a 15-minute short film about the indie legend; Del Rey and Mac Miller both donated $10,000 to a Kickstarter campaign for the film’s production. “I guess the one thing I hoped is that he understood that while he’s home alone doing his art still — he says he writes every day — that he knows that he really did make a difference in people’s lives,” Del Rey said of Johnston. “He made a difference in mine.”

Johnston announced in the summer of 2017 that he would be embarking on a final tour, with members of Wilco, Built to Spill, and Fugazi serving as his backing band. “I owe Daniel a lot as an inspiration to me,” Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy told The New York Times that year. “Daniel has managed to create in spite of his mental illness, not because of it. He’s been honest in his portrayal of what he’s been struggling with without overtly drawing attention to it.”

In the same Times article, Johnston was surprised to hear that he was going on a final tour and said that he could not stop writing music. “If I did stop, there could be nothing,” he said. “Maybe everything would stop. So I won’t stop. I’ve got to keep it going.”

Johnston’s brother said in the past two years since the death of their father Bill, a massive trove of unreleased recordings and documents that were left in their father’s home have been found, including letters Johnston’s father wrote that shed new light on the singer’s mental illnesses. “His struggle was always more serious than I was sensitive to,” Dick said.

“There are as many unpublished songs as there are published,” he added. “We’ll be spending a long time sorting out what he’s left behind. We have lots more to share.”

-- Kory Grow

Edited by Cupid Stunt

I had to go open the shop as I had an app't.   Took my little b/w TV with  me and watched all day.  My app't was with my two British ladies, mother/daughter (they came to the US twice a year to buy vintage and ship it ship back for their store. Vintage is very hard to come by there due to WWII).  They had been listening on the radio as they were worried about London and they said "It's sad you all do so much for the world and they do this to you".

Still makes me tear up.

• Love 6

On a personal level, I'll never forget 9/11, either.  I live in Columbia, MD, a suburb smack between Baltimore and Washington, DC .  I was headed to Fairfax, VA for a meeting and was unaware of what was happening.  A trainer from my company was meeting me at my house, she was late and I was pretty annoyed.....when she got to my house, she was a mess and when she told me what was happening, I was just fixated on the tv.  The Pentagon hadn't been hit yet.  I called my husband, who was on the road with one of his sales reps for an appointment at the Pentagon.  He was at a point on the highway where you can see the Pentagon, The Washington Monument and the Capitol, one of his favorite spots.  I was telling him what was happening and he interrupted me to tell his rep to get the hell out of there, to turn around because he saw this terrible flash of light and put two and two together.  He saw that plane ram into the Pentagon......and didn't get home until 10 hours later, the traffic was so bad.  Cell phones were jammed.....I was determined to make my appointment in Fairfax, so got in my car and quickly had to turn around and come back home.  We didn't have Sirius radio then, so we were relying on local radio and everyone was reporting that bombs were going off all over Washington, DC (that turned out to be completely false).  Military planes were all over the sky.....I live 20 minutes from Ft. Meade and NSA.....and between my own private hell of wondering where my husband was and watching the tv, it was a lonely time. It was a scary time. But not like what others went through.  My husband came home - other people's loved ones didn't. 

• Love 5

I was w my rabbit at a vet appointment leaving. I was in shock listening on the radio driving the first tower was struck then the second the whole world was in shock. 

Today I read stories about flight 93 and thought about them. “Let’s roll.” I cant imagine. An ex bf’s father was in the 2 towers at work and I think of those there often too. And the jumpers.  The bravery of everyone who suffered or died in these attacks and the responders is humbling. The last dog who helped sniff out people in the rubble has passed away, a golden retriever. So so many heroes and strength. 

• Love 5

worst_case_scenario_board_3.0.jpg

It's all about the money.

MB37B2GSXAI6TCJEDW35VR4X7M.jpg

Mean people suck.

It's never too early to monitor the female body for public judgement.

It's not rocket science ...

• Love 9
20 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Daniel Johnston, Austin Cult Singer-Songwriter, Dead at 58

Outsider music hero had been hospitalized with a kidney malfunction before his death of natural causes .

Daniel Johnston, the outsider folk artist whose childlike pleas for love captivated the likes of Kurt Cobain, Matt Groening and Tom Waits, died Wednesday of natural causes, his family confirmed in a statement. He was 58.

“The Johnston family is deeply saddened to announce the death of their brother, Daniel Johnston,” his family said in a statement. “He passed away from natural causes this morning at his home outside of Houston, Texas.

“Daniel was a singer, songwriter, an artist, and a friend to all. Although he struggled with mental health issues for much of his adult life, Daniel triumphed over his illness through his prolific output of art and songs. He inspired countless fans, artists, and songwriters with his message that no matter how dark the day, ‘the sun shines down on me’ and ‘true love will find you in the end.'”

For years, Johnson had contended with both physical and mental health issues. Although he had been diagnosed with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, his physical wellbeing suffered after he took a fall and was hospitalized; he also had to grapple  with changes in his medication routine.

“Keeping him healthy has been the struggle and when he’s not well, you deal with a different person,” Johnston’s brother Dick said in an interview Wednesday. Johnston had been hospitalized last week with a kidney malfunction, his brother said, and returned home on Tuesday. “He was lucid and in good spirits,” Dick said. “As good as I’ve seen him in years. The [ankle] swelling was down and the problem looked good. He was happy to be home.”

On Tuesday night at approximately 8:30 p.m., a caretaker went to check on Johnston, but the musician declined to see them. His body was discovered in his room on Wednesday morning, according to his brother. No autopsy will be conducted.

The singer will best be remembered for his warbly, high tenor and simplistic ruminations on love and life on songs like “Life in Vain,” “True Love Will Find You in the End,” and “Walking the Cow.” On his best songs, his voice ached with earnestness and longing, features that attracted a number of high-profile fans. Cobain (who stated in interviews that Johnston was among the “greatest” songwriters) notably wore a T-shirt repping Johnston’s Hi, How Are You album to the 1992 MTV Video Music Awards, and artists including Flaming Lips, Death Cab for Cutie, Bright Eyes, and Beck have all covered his songs.

“There are not enough words I can say about the important and vitality of Daniel Johnston’s musical spirit,” Zola Jesus wrote on Twitter. “He was a huge inspiration to me, to follow my creative impulses no matter how messy or simple.”

“Some people really liked me, and other people were making fun of me they thought I was a freak show,” Johnston told Rolling Stone in 1994. “I was just all wrapped up in the middle of it like a total psychopath. Not like a killer or anything. More like a way-out teddy bear. … And if people were making fun of me, if they have a good time making fun of me, then that’s just as good, really. I’m entertaining them. Maybe I’m more of a comedian than they know.”

The 2005 documentary The Devil and Daniel Johnston brought his music and story, including a sequence about how Johnston shockingly threw the key to a two-seat plane he was in out the window, to a wider audience.

“Well, it sure was embarrassing,” Johnston told the Chronicle of the film in 2005. “Every terrible dilemma, every fabled mistake. Nothing I can do about it now, though. I wish they’d added a laugh track to it, because it sure is funny.”

Johnston was born the youngest of five children on January 22nd, 1961 in Sacramento, California. His family relocated to New Cumberland, West Virginia, where Daniel fell in love with the Beatles and other rock musicians. He made his first album, Songs of Pain, in 1980, and got his commercial breakthrough three years later with Hi, How Are You, which came out on the indie label Homestead.

"When I was growing up, after church, everybody shook hands and would say, ‘Hi. How are you?'” Johnston told The Chronicle last year. “I always heard it, even at the funeral home when there was some dead person who died of old age. The undertaker said to me, and I was just a little boy, ‘Hi. How are you?’ That’s how that started.”

Around this time, Johnston moved to Texas and lived with family. He would hand out tapes of his music for free around Austin and eventually got enough buzz that MTV made a feature on him. The exposure brought him to the attention of artists on the college-rock circuit like the Dead Milkmen, Mike Watt, Sonic Youth, and the Butthole Surfers. The Lyon Opera Ballet staged a 25-minute piece set to songs from his Yip/Jump Music album in 1992, and galleries around the world sought out his artwork to display.

Johnston signed to major label Atlantic in 1994 and issued Fun, which found him collaborating with the Butthole Surfers’ Paul Leary. It sold around 12,000 copies, which wasn’t enough to keep him in the majors. Over the years, he also collaborated with Half Japanese’s Jad Fair, Yo La Tengo, Mark Linkous of Sparklehorse and Okkervil River, among others; many of those artists, plus Flaming Lips, Beck, Waits and more, contributed to a tribute album to Johnston in 2004.

His last album, Space Ducks, came out in 2010. In 2015, Lana Del Rey covered Johnston’s “Some Things Last a Long Time” for a 15-minute short film about the indie legend; Del Rey and Mac Miller both donated $10,000 to a Kickstarter campaign for the film’s production. “I guess the one thing I hoped is that he understood that while he’s home alone doing his art still — he says he writes every day — that he knows that he really did make a difference in people’s lives,” Del Rey said of Johnston. “He made a difference in mine.”

Johnston announced in the summer of 2017 that he would be embarking on a final tour, with members of Wilco, Built to Spill, and Fugazi serving as his backing band. “I owe Daniel a lot as an inspiration to me,” Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy told The New York Times that year. “Daniel has managed to create in spite of his mental illness, not because of it. He’s been honest in his portrayal of what he’s been struggling with without overtly drawing attention to it.”

In the same Times article, Johnston was surprised to hear that he was going on a final tour and said that he could not stop writing music. “If I did stop, there could be nothing,” he said. “Maybe everything would stop. So I won’t stop. I’ve got to keep it going.”

Johnston’s brother said in the past two years since the death of their father Bill, a massive trove of unreleased recordings and documents that were left in their father’s home have been found, including letters Johnston’s father wrote that shed new light on the singer’s mental illnesses. “His struggle was always more serious than I was sensitive to,” Dick said.

“There are as many unpublished songs as there are published,” he added. “We’ll be spending a long time sorting out what he’s left behind. We have lots more to share.”

-- Kory Grow

I am absolutely gutted. Hubs and I listened to him all day yesterday. We have a piece of his artwork. He was a genius.

My 9/11 story- I am from Boston (where the planes took off from) getting ready for work and my bf called and told me to turn on the TV. The first plane had crashed. Initially I didn't believe it was a terrorist situation. By the time I got to work the second tower was hit. We had the news on and watched as the towers fell. One of my best friends lived and worked in TriBeCa. I desperately tried calling him but there was no cell service. I called his mom and she answered the phone crying; my heart sunk.  She said, "Billy is fine but I'm talking to him on the other line". Ughhh, so awful. Turned out that he and a friend were standing outside watching the towers burn. When they collapsed they had to run for their lives. I just can't even imagine. He couldn't go back to his apartment for over a week. I went to visit shortly after. Lots of the businesses' front windows were completely covered in gray soot. And the buildings just being gone was completely surreal.

• Love 2

My little doggie friend is alive! I had serious doubts after a couple of weeks of not seeing him, but he was back in the window today which made me extremely happy.

ETA: Tomorrow I get to go to work for three whole hours. Considering it takes me over three hours round-trip to get to work and come back home I am not impressed.

ETA 2: My face being told I could start later and finish earlier tomorrow:

FB_IMG_1568320160851.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, jpagan05 said:

I am absolutely gutted. Hubs and I listened to him all day yesterday. We have a piece of his artwork. He was a genius.

My 9/11 story- I am from Boston (where the planes took off from) getting ready for work and my bf called and told me to turn on the TV. The first plane had crashed. Initially I didn't believe it was a terrorist situation. By the time I got to work the second tower was hit. We had the news on and watched as the towers fell. One of my best friends lived and worked in TriBeCa. I desperately tried calling him but there was no cell service. I called his mom and she answered the phone crying; my heart sunk.  She said, "Billy is fine but I'm talking to him on the other line". Ughhh, so awful. Turned out that he and a friend were standing outside watching the towers burn. When they collapsed they had to run for their lives. I just can't even imagine. He couldn't go back to his apartment for over a week. I went to visit shortly after. Lots of the businesses' front windows were completely covered in gray soot. And the buildings just being gone was completely surreal.

The aftermath of it all was so surreal, wasn't it?  None of this is obviously as bad as what happened in New York, but at the time, several of my accounts were in the Crystal City area, technically part of Alexandria, VA, next to the Pentagon.  Most of that Crystal City area was closed for at least two weeks because the HVAC systems in these humongous buildings had sucked in all of the burning jet fuel from the plane's impact to the Pentagon.  One of my customer's, a govt. contractor, was housed in a building where the 21st floor housed an office for the Secretary of the Navy.  After the building opened, when you drove into the building's underground parking garage, there were five or six robots that would roam around and check out every car that came in......including mine.  It was like being sniffed by R2D2!!  I never did understand what those things did! 

I'm in sales and my job is to prospect....I regularly roamed buildings to get new customers.  After 9/11, that was a thing of the past!  Everything, especially now, is super secure.  It really was the end of our country's innocence to learn that people would go that far to hurt us.

• Love 4

I remember it was a beautiful day and I was home alone because grandpa was still working back then. 

I had the day off work. I woke up late and got dressed, left my house, and took the bus to Mc Donald's. I got my trio to go and got back on the bus to go home and eat it. 

I went down to the basement, turned on the TV to watch "The Young and the Restless" at 12:30 pm while I ate my Big Mac, and saw there was a special report. I remember groaning because it seemed Americans, especially CBS, were always having special reports and I thought it would be something trivial. Then I saw the footage of the towers going down and of the Pentagon. And it didn't hit me that it was terrorism. I just thought what a weird coincidence. It was only when the reporter said terrorism that it clicked. And I remember being so shocked because The U.S. was always an impenetrable giant to me and I couldn't imagine how something like this had happened. 

I called my mom and she was watching the coverage. It was surreal. I felt like I was watching footage from some big blockbuster movie. I had gone to New York in 1997 on a school trip and had gone up the towers and taken pictures. I couldn't imagine them no longer existing. I remember wondering if the man who manned the elevator and told us how fast it ran still worked there and if he survived...? And the lady I bought souvenirs from...was she working there still...? Was she there that day...? I stayed up watching coverage until the late evening and in the days that followed until they finally went back to regular TV programming. 

• Love 10

I was about seven months pregnant with my first child. I remember thinking that he was in the safest place he would ever be, and wondering what kind of world I was bringing him into.

My husband worked at the printing plant for a major Toronto newspaper. He was called into work because they were printing a special afternoon/evening edition.

Our neighbourhood lies under the final approach to one of Toronto airport’s busiest runways, so we’re used to airplane noise. I remember how quiet it was for three or four days afterwards.

• Love 8

True that.  I live 30ish miles from Wright-Patt AFB and I see big planes, small planes, cargo planes...even saw Air Force One go over when Clinton signed the Dayton Peace Accords.  Some small airports around, too, so there are always contrails in the sky.

Not a thing to be seen.  Even the clouds were off crying somewhere.....

• Love 8

We took the ferry off Mackinaw Island yesterday and toured the Upper Peninsula of Michigan on our way to Marquette. Overcast and occasional rain; We stopped at an orchard for a packed lunch and apples, and hiked in Hiawatha National Forrest. We're staying at a Scandinavian bed and breakfast on Lake Superior in Marquette.

I spoke at Northern Michigan University on media business practice; the journalism head is a friend from college. And presently programming the college radio station (WUPX-FM) for drive time, with on-the-air demonstrations with students.

Mr.Stunt is interviewing a couple of digital media seniors, trolling for new employees.

We fly out of Marquette Saturday morning to transfer in Detroit, and back home to LA. 

• Love 13

?m=02&d=20190913&t=2&i=1429419938&w=780&

The Tribute in Light shines in downtown Manhattan to commemorate the 18th anniversary of September 11, 2001 attacks in New York City. REUTERS/Andrew Kelly

giphy.gif

Bumblebeeeee!

nfa-miller-message-in-a-bottel-needs-bro

Edited by Cupid Stunt
Pardon my out-of-towner mess.
  • Love 11

Eddie Money, Rock Hitmaker, Dead at 70

Singer-saxophonist behind “Take Me Home Tonight” and “Baby Hold On” recently battled stage 4 esophageal cancer and heart complications

Eddie Money, the singer-saxophonist whose string of hits include “Baby Hold On,” “Two Tickets to Paradise” and “Take Me Home Tonight,” died Friday in Los Angeles at the age of 70.

“The Money Family regrets to announce that Eddie passed away peacefully early this morning,” the family said in a statement to Rolling Stone. “It is with heavy hearts that we say goodbye to our loving husband and father. We cannot imagine our world without him. We are grateful that he will live on forever through his music.”

Money suffered a series of health problems in recent years, and revealed in August that he was battling stage 4 esophageal cancer in a promo for the upcoming season of Real Money, a TV series about the rocker’s life.

“What I don’t want to do is … keep the fact that I have cancer from everybody,” Money said. “It’s not honest. I want to be honest with everybody. I want people to know that cancer [treatment] has come a long way and not everybody dies from cancer like they did in the Fifties and Sixties. Am I going to live a long time? Who knows? It’s in God’s hands.”

In July, Money canceled his summer tour after developing pneumonia while recovering from his recent heart valve surgery. “The heart issue was a condition unrelated to his cancer,” AXS TV noted. Despite the multiple health issues, Money still planned on returning to the road later this year.

The Brooklyn-born, Long Island-raised rocker born Eddie Mahoney broke into the music scene after moving to Berkeley, California in the late-Sixties; after nearly a decade honing his craft on the Bay Area rock scene with manager Bill Graham, Money inked a deal with Columbia Records, which distributed his self-titled album in 1977. Eddie Money opens with perhaps the singer’s most enduring hit, “Two Tickets to Paradise.”

“Well, I was going with a girl at the time. She was in college and I was in college and her mother wanted her to meet somebody that was actually making a living,” Money told Rolling Stone of the song’s inspiration in 2018. “She had been dating the mayor’s son and I didn’t have any money to take her to Bermuda or Hawaii or anything else like that. So I wanted to take her on a Greyhound bus ride to the California Redwoods. It would only cost maybe 62 dollars for the both of us. But she dumped me and it never happened, so who knows?”

Eddie Money went double-platinum and both “Two Tickets to Paradise” and “Baby Hold On,” Money’s first single, landed in the upper quarter of the Hot 100, beginning a decade-long stretch where the singer’s tracks routinely charted, despite being largely disregarded and derided by rock critics at the time.

“They used to call me ‘Freddie Foodstamps’ or ‘Eddie No Money,” the singer told Rolling Stone. “You read reviews and people get ‘shortchanged by the Eddie Money show.’ These critics are soooo clever with the words, but if you got a name like Money, people are gonna love it or hate it.”

In the early Eighties – following a 1981 incident that gave Money the unfortunate distinction of being the first rocker to overdose on fentanyl – Money made a comeback with his platinum-selling 1982 album No Control and its Hot 100 hits “Shakin'” and “Think I’m in Love.” While the rocker continued pumping out radio gold like “Club Michelle” and “The Big Crash,” 1983’s Where’s the Party? marked the lowest-charting album of his career at that point. However, following another battle with addiction, Money scored the biggest hit of his career in 1986 with “Take Me Home Tonight,” a duet with Ronnie Spector.

-- Daniel Kreps

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 3

My last day at the dealership was Thursday 😊 😥 before I could quit they “laid me off”  for lack of sales and too large a team (and kept the 2 guys hired after me who had no sales to my several) I already got another full time job in hours and of course have my part time job still. 

• Love 13
12 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Congratulations, @Petunia13!  You and George need to celebrate!

Excellent news, Petunia! Another step forward for you and George. Enjoy your weekend.

Have a safe trip home, @Cupid Stunt!  Melvin will be so happy to see you! 

It's been uneventful so far, and that's the best you can ask for with modern air travel and Homeland Security Theater.

Melvin will be spoiled silly by Thing2, and inconsolable that we're not hand feeding him tender morsels of kibble. 

Feel better soon, @boes!  I was hoping you were on vacation instead of sick..😞

Get rest and stay hydrated, boes. 

Happy Harvest Moon Weekend, everyone!

harvest_moon_dan_bush.jpg

• Love 11

ca_fire_lead_2.0.jpg

1c957a-20190912-ap-alaska-sexual-assault

190913165501-03-wildlife-photographer-of

Trash panda driving a Pinto.

• Love 9
21 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

My last day at the dealership was Thursday 😊 😥 before I could quit they “laid me off”  for lack of sales and too large a team (and kept the 2 guys hired after me who had no sales to my several) I already got another full time job in hours and of course have my part time job still. 

You should try to collect unemployment! F them.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

besties_.jpg

Installation-view-America-2016-Victory-i

These two crawled out of their bunkers, and went on TV with something to sell ...

• Billy Bush says he isn't angry over Access Hollywood tape -- Softball Gayle King interview where philosophical ruminating (Seneca, no less) on his downfall, a bit of navel-gazing, and the conclusion is: 'I'm just a talking head. I didn't say it. I just agreed with him.' Because your response didn't contribute to the cultural acceptance of misogyny and sexual abuse?
Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 10

I lost one of my rings earlier this evening. I never went out so I lost it somewhere in the house but I've looked all over and can't find it. I bought it 4 years ago for my 35th birthday. I paid quite a bit for it, too. It's white gold with diamonds and rainbow sapphires and I'm so sad it's missing. The longer I can't find it the more anxious I'm getting. I just want it back. 

phpnuF1liPM.jpg

9 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

Did you take it off and set it down somewhere, or did it fall off of your finger without you realizing?   

I had taken all my rings off earlier in the day to shower but put them all back on once I was done. I believe this one fell off without my realizing it. It's always been a bit loose.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I had taken all my rings off earlier in the day to shower but put them all back on once I was done. I believe this one fell off without my realizing it. It's always been a bit loose.

where did you set your rings down jewel?  near the sink?  maybe it fell down the drain and is in the trap in the drain pipe?

was steve around?

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

where did you set your rings down jewel?  near the sink?  maybe it fell down the drain and is in the trap in the drain pipe?

was steve around?

I had removed them and placed them on the table in the basement. 

After looking for a few hours, taking apart the freezer (I had gotten ice cream at one point and gramps distracted me so I figured maybe I lost it there,) looking under the fridge, washer/dryer, couch, treadmill, and between couch cushions, I decided to look once more between the couch cushions before going to bed. This was despite the fact I'd already looked there multiple times. And, there it was. I think when I was folding laundry it slipped off into the pile of folded clothes. I moved them a bit the last time and finally saw the ring. I also found a soap opera digest magazine pushed way into the couch from 2012. It had MS on the cover. Go figure. 

Anyway, than you all, and a special thank you to Saint Anthony who I prayed to as well. I'm so happy and relieved to have it back. It's my favourite ring. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 10

800.jpeg

800.jpeg

merlin_157824042_40c4e4d7-2091-410c-a450

• Love 9

George had his bi annual checkup a couple shots and his nails and glands done and the vet called me when I was a work 1st day training on the server new job, so he left a vm George has some crystals in his urine. I hope this is easily treatable and fixable. Other than that he said says he’s looking great. The day of the tests before their results he prescribed an antibiotic which George has been taking since we suspected a UTI. 

@jewel21 I’m glad you found your ring. Losing precious or sentimental things can be so anxious and painful. You beat yourself up and wonder and panic. I lost an heirloom earring once at the END of my day after I worked 2 retail jobs in large stores and walked through 2 big parking lots on a windy and snowy day and even retracing my steps never found it and I still feel guilty since I know it’s literally irreplaceable. 

• Love 9

WireAP_6447ade8c330413a917637a16d896fa9_

800.jpeg

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

George had his bi annual checkup a couple shots and his nails and glands done and the vet called me when I was a work 1st day training on the server new job, so he left a vm George has some crystals in his urine. I hope this is easily treatable and fixable. Other than that he said says he’s looking great. The day of the tests before their results he prescribed an antibiotic which George has been taking since we suspected a UTI.

Both of my cats were diagnosed with crystals in their urine (they are siblings) - it's very treatable.  You have to feed them special food, though, that dissolves the crystals.  Both  have been on it for a year and haven't had any issues.

Hope the training at your new job went well!

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Love 9
15 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

8 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Both of my cats were diagnosed with crystals in their urine (they are siblings) - it's very treatable.  You have to feed them special food, though, that dissolves the crystals.  Both  have been on it for a year and haven't had any issues.

Hope the training at your new job went well!

Both of my cats are on Science Diet C/D. It's good for urinary health maintenance. The antibiotics will take care of the crystals- don't worry!💓

• Love 9