Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

• Is wealth immoral? -- Adam Roberts was born into the 1%. And says it’s time to change the system

_108397604_p07l87xd.jpg

• Why Beatrix Potter Ended Up Self-Publishing The Tale of Peter Rabbit -- Initially, she attempted to go the traditional route and sent the book to six publishers, each of whom rejected it because Potter was insistent that the book be small enough for a child to hold while the publishers wanted something bigger (so that they could charge more money for it). It wasn’t a compromise that Potter was willing to make, so she took the matter into her own hands.
  • The group that helps rebuild after hurricanes … It has been two years this weekend since Hurricane Harvey made landfall in Texas. Along with Hurricane Katrina, Harvey is as the costliest storm on record, with damage estimated at $125 billion. Most disaster response focuses on the immediate aftermath – but one group has stayed to help residents deal with the mess that’s left behind.

sub-buzz-21600-1476286625-1.jpg?downsize

1483230160-0.jpg

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 8

Been offline for a few days....

AngelKitty you poor baby!

Many, many hugs to you.  Glad you're home.  Been in the hospital a couple of times myself and there's nothing like getting home and washing off all the hospital funk and sleeping in your own bed.

Here's to a speedy recovery.....

Thanks for asking about Pat, boes.  He's getting a little better everyday...still gonna be awhile but all signs are good.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

I wanted to show you guys my purple arm but the picture is too big. If somebody can tell me how to make my picture smaller, I would appreciate the help.

Oh man, I wish I could help but I'm such a dummy when it comes to stuff like that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Mr. BJ, the 'chonky' cat is in the process of being adopted. While he's waiting, the Twitter-verse is doing its thing ...

68959577_2727881413909257_72437393228499

When people start fighting about whether or not Pluto is a planet.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • LOL 9
5 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Mr. BJ, the 'chonky' cat is in the process of being adopted. While he's waiting, the Twitter-verse is doing its thing ...

68959577_2727881413909257_72437393228499

When people start fighting about whether or not Pluto is a planet.

He looks like he's sitting in his lawyer's office and hearing that his child support payments are going up again.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 9
2 minutes ago, AngelKitty said:

I'm back in the hospital. My left leg stopped wanting to work again and Mr. A insisted on taking me. We don't know what's wrong yet.

oh no.  hugging you ak..

Edited by valleycliffe
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

I'm back in the hospital. My left leg stopped wanting to work again and Mr. A insisted on taking me. We don't know what's wrong yet.

Oh no!  You must feel at your wits end, I hope you're home soon! 

• Love 12

@AngelKitty I was thinking of you all weekend. I hope you heal and feel better soon. We are all sending love, good vibes,  and prayers you get better ASAP. ❤️ 

@Cupid Stunt one of my friends is in the Amazon right now but at a distance from the burning. He studies there w a guru and also has a foundation for protection that saved almost 4000 acres previously for reforestation. While he’s there now he learned 80 acres were set on fire (arson). He said the animals on it died and I saw pics. I also saw pics of the burned dead primates, anteaters, and sloths who couldn’t outrun nearby. 

Lord, hear our prayers for our friend AngelKitty. We ask that You be at her side and guide the hands that minister her treatment. You are the source of life and healing and to You we give praise for Your grace, now and forever. Amen.

(((AngelKitty)))

• Love 8

1485003_082516-shutterstock-national-dog

How Money Works -- A look at the critical role finances play in daily life

• The Never-Ending Foreclosure -- How can the country survive the next economic crash if millions of families still haven't recovered from the last one?
  • Is a Recession Coming? -- If you’re going to worry about the economy, tumbling stocks are the least of America’s financial troubles right now.

?m=02&d=20190826&t=2&i=1422861831&w=780&

Demonstrators walk past a graffiti as they march during a protest in Hong Kong, China, August 24, 2019. REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach

6db1d26c870c2afb1da5e717d016a54e--honey-

Leonardo Fioravanti designed Ferrari Daytona … Hello, Baby!

Rosner-Popeyes-Primary.jpg

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

@AngelKitty I was thinking of you all weekend. I hope you heal and feel better soon. We are all sending love, good vibes,  and prayers you get better ASAP. ❤️

Amen!

The congregation at my Quaker Meeting House has you on their prayer chain.

Listen to your body and your doctors, Kitty.

@Cupid Stunt one of my friends is in the Amazon right now but at a distance from the burning. He studies there w a guru and also has a foundation for protection that saved almost 4000 acres previously for reforestation. While he’s there now he learned 80 acres were set on fire (arson). He said the animals on it died and I saw pics. I also saw pics of the burned dead primates, anteaters, and sloths who couldn’t outrun nearby. 

It's horrific how out of hand the Jair Bolsonaro administration has allowed the deliberate setting of fires has gotten. The news out of opposition news outlets 'suggest' (because they will be shut down and jailed if stated directly) that the populist-leaning/army-friendly Bolsonaro administration and family are financially benefitting from logging and Big Ag industries. These questions were broadcast by Fernando Haddad (PT Party), Bolsonaro's opponent, before the general election, and shouted down by PSL Party media and advertising.

'Until my last drop of blood' tribe vows to protect Amazon -- In the heart of the Amazon, the Mura indigenous people have vowed to protect their traditional land amidst threats from farmers, logging and raging fires. Michelle Hennessy reports.

Unfortunately, the same problem has been plaguing Bolivia, too -- It’s not just Brazil's Amazon that is on fire, Bolivia is facing its own disaster

One of my client's is a coffee importer, and he's noticed the reduced quality over time of the coffee coming out of clear-burned Central/South American regions. 

Scripture teaches us when we fight for justice, it is not only our justice, it is justice for our neighbor -- Johnson & Johnson Opioid Ruling in Oklahoma  

opioid_toned.1534442210.jpg

AAGnme8.img?h=993&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Life-Is-Good-Stripe-Beach-Towel_56595_1_

• Families transformed by gun violence -- At least 272 mass shootings have occurred this year in the U.S., according to the Gun Violence Archive. People who have lost their loved ones in past shootings talk about how the attacks have changed their communities forever.

Mourn. Pray. Repeat.

Victims' families describe living with the grief brought by mass shootings: "It was like I died" -- Marquez-Greene didn't understand why forgiveness is so frequently picked up as a narrative after shootings.

"When did this become my responsibility to absolve the person?" Marquez-Greene said. "Because I feel like it's another way to let folks off the hook."

Ultimately, Marquez-Greene thinks the country needs to stop putting people in the position she's in now.

"We cannot as a nation say that is okay, because I didn't sign a 6-year-old up for war. I signed her up for first grade," she said. "We have to address the injustice that we are visiting on American families. It's like a hell's lottery, where if you lose today, you lose today. And that's not OK."

• It is VMAs tradition for the recipient of the Video Vanguard Award to give an extended performance to remind us of what makes them so great. And Missy Elliott’s medley as 2019’s Video Vanguard honoree was a stunning example of the form. Elliott gave us the giant trash bag look from her iconic video “The Rain” and created live-action spectacles of her dance hits, including turning “Pass That Dutch” into an alien invasion with people getting beamed up into a spaceship hovering above the stage. Elliott’s relentless performance made a strong case for renaming the accolade the Missy Elliott Video Vanguard Award from this point on.

Missy 'Misdemeanor' Elliott crushed it!

• Yesterday was Women's Equality Day. It's working. I'm still paying more for my dry cleaning, taxis ignore me, and I'm still schlepping my luggage. 
Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 6

when i had my hip replaced the doctor prescribed me opioids for pain.  i took them for a couple of days but while in the hospital they had to give me shots of gravol too as i got so sick from them.  then when i got home the rash that started in the hospital got worse and i had to go see my gp doctor.  she said it was obvious i was allergic to the medication and she tried a different one.  that one made me sick too so i had to just tough it out.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I was given a 2x renewable prescription for 30 Vicodin (90 total) after my brain salad surgery. I took the recommended dosage and was nauseated for hours afterward. I called the surgeon while embracing the toilet, and she prescribed compounded buffered Dilaudid, which worked much better.

After the Dilaudid 'script, I completely understood how easy it is to get addicted to opiates.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Hi everybody, I'm out of the hospital and home again.  I had an MRI immediately after I got there and it showed no stroke happening again which was a good thing since they obviously couldn't give me that special blood thinner again. But I was having trouble breathing and they gave me antibiotics because they think I had a little pneumonia.

891825703_bruisedarm.thumb.jpg.d57851050d96498e852c2383450092cf.jpg

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, AngelKitty said:

Hi everybody, I'm out of the hospital and home again.  I had an MRI immediately after I got there and it showed no stroke happening again which was a good thing since they obviously couldn't give me that special blood thinner again. But I was having trouble breathing and they gave me antibiotics because they think I had a little pneumonia.

I'm so glad you're home and that it wasn't another stroke that got you there.

Your arm!  My goodness!

You take it easy and rest - pneumonia is no joke!

• Love 11
4 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

@jewel21, does steve sound like this when he has to go to the vet?

It's a soon-to-be ex, with a 3 year old brain, wrapped in feathers.

Sedatives for everyone!

3 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

Ouch!

3 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

I'm so glad you're home and that it wasn't another stroke that got you there.

Your arm!  My goodness!

You take it easy and rest - pneumonia is no joke!

Cosign, AngelKitty.

Be careful, and take care of yourself.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 10

Neal Casal, Guitarist Who Worked With Willie Nelson, Shooter Jennings, Dead at 50

Neal Casal, the influential roots guitarist who played with Willie Nelson, Shooter Jennings, Ryan Adams, Phil Lesh and more, has died at the age of 50 died by suicide. “Neal was a gentle, introspective, deeply soulful human being who lived his life through artistry and kindness,” read the announcement of his death on his Facebook page August 27.

Best known for his work as the lead guitarist in Ryan Adams’ backing band the Cardinals, Casal also played with the Jayhawks, the Chris Robinson Brotherhood and the Hard Working Americans. As an in-demand studio musician, he played on records by Nelson, Jennings, Lucinda Williams, Amanda Shires and Tift Merritt. Casal was also a prolific singer-songwriter in his own right, releasing numerous solo albums and founding the group Circles Around the Sun. 

“I am absolutely devastated,” wrote Jennings on Instagram. “[Neal] was my always my favorite picker in LA and we’d just finished some beautiful music together.”

As a teenager, Casal became obsessed with the music of the Rolling Stones and the Grateful Dead. “Those groups opened my eyes and ears to the best music, literature, film and art of all kinds,” he said in a 2016 interview.  “I bought every record and book that they ever spoke about in their interviews and tried to follow their instructions on how to dig in and do good work.”

Casal spent the Nineties primarily making music as a solo artist, releasing his acclaimed debut album Fade Away Diamond Time in 1995 before eventually teaming up to play with Adams in the Cardinals a roughly one decade later.

“Mine hasn’t really been a rock star life,” Casal said last year. “Granted, I’ve gotten to travel the world and see a lot of things that other people haven’t. Some of the other life building events that people go through… I haven’t had some of those things. It gets harder as you get older. I’ve definitely had an amazing life in music. That’s for sure. I’ve got to make so many records, tour, take photographers, write songs, meet new friends, and all of that.”

May you find the peace that eluded you in life. 

Ah, Maxwell. I’ve seen him before; he’s quite the character, lol.

Thankfully Steve doesn’t talk, but he will scream in protest. I have to be sure when taking him to the vet to leave him in his cage till the last moment or I’ll never catch him. And then I need to throw a blanket over his carrier or he’ll scream the entire time. 

Oh, AngelKitty, your poor arm!! I was thinking about you today. I’m so happy it wasn’t another stroke. 

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Who's a pretty boy?

Wait until I grab in him a week or two and preen his crest which is partially covered in pin feathers, he'll be gorgeous, lol. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, jewel21 said:

He actually posed for me just now. 

IMG_20190827_181752.jpg

So handsome!

5 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Neal Casal, Guitarist Who Worked With Willie Nelson, Shooter Jennings, Dead at 50

Neal Casal, the influential roots guitarist who played with Willie Nelson, Shooter Jennings, Ryan Adams, Phil Lesh and more, has died at the age of 50 died by suicide. “Neal was a gentle, introspective, deeply soulful human being who lived his life through artistry and kindness,” read the announcement of his death on his Facebook page August 27.

Best known for his work as the lead guitarist in Ryan Adams’ backing band the Cardinals, Casal also played with the Jayhawks, the Chris Robinson Brotherhood and the Hard Working Americans. As an in-demand studio musician, he played on records by Nelson, Jennings, Lucinda Williams, Amanda Shires and Tift Merritt. Casal was also a prolific singer-songwriter in his own right, releasing numerous solo albums and founding the group Circles Around the Sun. 

“I am absolutely devastated,” wrote Jennings on Instagram. “[Neal] was my always my favorite picker in LA and we’d just finished some beautiful music together.”

As a teenager, Casal became obsessed with the music of the Rolling Stones and the Grateful Dead. “Those groups opened my eyes and ears to the best music, literature, film and art of all kinds,” he said in a 2016 interview.  “I bought every record and book that they ever spoke about in their interviews and tried to follow their instructions on how to dig in and do good work.”

Casal spent the Nineties primarily making music as a solo artist, releasing his acclaimed debut album Fade Away Diamond Time in 1995 before eventually teaming up to play with Adams in the Cardinals a roughly one decade later.

“Mine hasn’t really been a rock star life,” Casal said last year. “Granted, I’ve gotten to travel the world and see a lot of things that other people haven’t. Some of the other life building events that people go through… I haven’t had some of those things. It gets harder as you get older. I’ve definitely had an amazing life in music. That’s for sure. I’ve got to make so many records, tour, take photographers, write songs, meet new friends, and all of that.”

May you find the peace that eluded you in life. 

Beautiful song......so sad to listen to the words, given how he died.

• Love 5

lead_720_405.jpg?mod=1566587963

amazon-fire-01-rt-jt-190822_hpMain_sl_3x

• The Great Seattle Pot Heist -- A rash of marijuana thefts has Seattle growers wondering: Is the government leading the thieves right to them?

f507ead7ca583c1fab8e1c50c7deaf066e659432

After a lackluster opening monologue, the VMAs badly needed a punch of energy. Luckily, Lizzo was there to provide it — with a giant inflatable ass and a gospel choir for backup, because like all the best musicians, Lizzo knows how to move seamlessly from the profane to the sacred. But mostly, we’re okay calling her sacred because she saved us from a truly flaccid first half-hour to this ceremony. It’s like she knew that we, like her, were just tired of the bullshit.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 9