Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

I can still find them at my grocery but they are hard as a rock and kinda tasteless...  😞 

Fellow Preverts I need some prayer support.  My good friend and bandmate was on his way to his usual Breakfast Club (that's what I call them...6-7 guy friends of ours who meet every Sunday morning at our local coffee shop) on his motorcycle...he's a long time rider and restorer of classic bikes...when someone pulled out in front of him and he had to lay it down.  Broke several ribs and fractured his T3 vertebrae.  Still don't know how bad it is.  Thank God he always wears a helmet or it could have been a lot worse.  Please send good thoughts and prayers his way.  His name is Pat.

Good thoughts heading his way ❤️

• Love 11

I have a Pat update.  He's awake and in a lot of pain as you might expect.  They transferred him to Miami Valley Hospital well known for their trauma center.  He's in a brace and they're still deciding if/when they are going to operate.

Thanks for the good vibes and keep them coming....

• Love 13
5 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

I have a Pat update.  He's awake and in a lot of pain as you might expect.  They transferred him to Miami Valley Hospital well known for their trauma center.  He's in a brace and they're still deciding if/when they are going to operate.

Thanks for the good vibes and keep them coming....

That's very good news!  So far so good!  You must be feeling more hopeful.

• Love 9

Good news about Pat. *hugs*

I love turtles. I had four growing up until I came home one day in the 4th grade and my mother had given them away. Then people wonder why I have trust issues. 

Steve is molting heavily for the past month or so. He looks like a ratty teddy bear. It's kind of cute, actually. 

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:31 PM, jpagan05 said:

Seinfeld2.png.3fba139546f0c163e8aff180d3770a52.png

@peacheslatour and the other horror obsessed, there's a series starting tonight called "The Terror" https://www.amc.com/shows/the-terror

It's actually season 2 but I think it's an anthology like AHS. I'm going to check it out. I've been jonesing for some horror.

I'm a co-mod on the Terror forum and figured I'd try to watch an episode since I like knowing what posters are talking about. I only caught the first 8 minutes or so, the rest is saved on my PVR, but what I saw I really liked. The cinematography is stunning and I was sufficiently creeped out. I can't wait to watch the rest tonight. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Good news about Pat. *hugs*

I love turtles. I had four growing up until I came home one day in the 4th grade and my mother had given them away. Then people wonder why I have trust issues. 

Steve is molting heavily for the past month or so. He looks like a ratty teddy bear. It's kind of cute, actually. 

I'm a co-mod on the Terror forum and figured I'd try to watch an episode since I like knowing what posters are talking about. I only caught the first 8 minutes or so, the rest is saved on my PVR, but what I saw I really liked. The cinematography is stunning and the I was sufficiently creeped out. I can't wait to watch the rest tonight. 

On this site?

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I'm a co-mod on the Terror forum and figured I'd try to watch an episode since I like knowing what posters are talking about. I only caught the first 8 minutes or so, the rest is saved on my PVR, but what I saw I really liked. The cinematography is stunning and the I was sufficiently creeped out. I can't wait to watch the rest tonight. 

Cool, I will feel like I have someone to watch it with!  I enjoyed it. The beginning was the creepiest part but they appear to be laying some groundwork. It is nicely shot and the acting is great, plus George Takei is in it! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Gave away your turtles?!   Mommmm...how could you?    :-(  

I love turtles, too.  As kids my brother and I got to keep pretty much whatever we wanted.  We had fish, snakes, lizards, frogs, turtles, bunnies for a while, always cats and dogs running around.  Even had an aquarium where we kept praying mantises.  Those things still fascinate me.

Hubby had a turtle...the small green ones from the pet store that usually don't survive long.  Tuffy lived for well over 10 yrs and grew to a pretty good size.  One day he and his brother took him outside to roam for a bit...I mean how fast can a turtle move, right?...and the little dude ran away!  It's a family story...Tuffy the Runaway Turtle.

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, OhioSongbird said:

I love turtles, too.  As kids my brother and I got to keep pretty much whatever we wanted.  We had fish, snakes, lizards, frogs, turtles, bunnies for a while, always cats and dogs running around.  Even had an aquarium where we kept praying mantises.  Those things still fascinate me.

Hubby had a turtle...the small green ones from the pet store that usually don't survive long.  Tuffy lived for well over 10 yrs and grew to a pretty good size.  One day he and his brother took him outside to roam for a bit...I mean how fast can a turtle move, right?...and the little dude ran away!  It's a family story...Tuffy the Runaway Turtle.

Tuffy The Runaway Turtle. Oh The Shit He's Seen.

I was the same way as a kid. Turtle, mice, rats, chipmunks, frogs, fish, rabbits, gerbils, hamsters and of course dogs, cats and a horse. When my horse was killed in an arson fire my dad said No More Critters. Naturally he brought home a puppy a month later.  🐕

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

My uncle got me my first turtles, two of them. I named them Tommy and Terri. My mom put them and their little aquarium (those tubs with the palm tree) outside on the grass so they would get some sun. My two demon twin brothers put them both on the grass. By the time we discovered what happened, we were only able to locate Tommy. We searched high and low for Terri but to no avail. Poor Tommy swam around his little habitat looking for her and broke my heart. I was like 7 at the time. My uncle came over the following day and bought me two more turtles much to my mom's dismay. I named them Bashful and Freckles (he had spots on his shell.) 

I had all three for a few years but one day Freckles died and it was just Tommy and Bashful. Bashful wasn't bashful for long after we got him and turned into a giant pig who would hoard all the food. He ended up becoming the biggest turtle out of all of them with Freckles being the tiniest. 

Anyway, one day I came home and Tommy and Bashful were gone. I've never forgotten or forgiven. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

With the few posts you've made about your family, I don't wonder.

Tortoise story -- My brother Mike rescued a desert tortoise from a pack of coyotes harassing it, and brought it to the piñon pine grove, about six miles from the ranch. Two weeks later the same tortoise was in the front yard eating a blue agave in my mother's garden. That was 15 years ago, and Louise (vet identified it as a female) still follows Mike. 

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Tuffy The Runaway Turtle. Oh The Shit He's Seen. 

Tuffy started his own post-apocalyptic motorcycle gang, and rides by night in the wastelands. Sometimes you can hear his straight pipes cut through the moonless dark.

I was the same way as a kid. Turtle, mice, rats, chipmunks, frogs, fish, rabbits, gerbils, hamsters and of course dogs, cats and a horse. When my horse was killed in an arson fire my dad said No More Critters. Naturally he brought home a puppy a month later.  🐕

Same here. All the kids in my family had a rotating menagerie. We never had to buy a dog or cat because well-meaning idiots would abandon their animals on our road regularly.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
54 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

With the few posts you've made about your family, I don't wonder.

Tortoise story -- My brother Mike rescued a desert tortoise from a pack of coyotes harassing it, and brought it to the piñon pine grove, about six miles from the ranch. Two weeks later the same tortoise was in the front yard eating a blue agave in my mother's garden. That was 15 years ago, and Louise (vet identified it as a female) still follows Mike. 

Tuffy started his own post-apocalyptic motorcycle gang, and rides by night in the wastelands. Sometimes you can hear his straight pipes cut through the moonless dark.

Same here. All the kids in my family had a rotating menagerie. We never had to buy a dog or cat because well-meaning idiots would abandon their animals on our road regularly.

So Tuffy, what are you rebelling against?

What do ya got?

• LOL 9
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

So Tuffy, what are you rebelling against?

What do ya got?

Ya just can't get throught to ol' Tuffy, that shell he's got around him is just too thick.  

He rides alone.....

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

i was told turtles give you salmonella..

no turtles for me

same here!  I remember finding one at the curb in front of our house and my mom and dad freaked out when I touched it and made me wash my hands for roughly half an hour.  My dad picked it up with some tool he had and put it in the woods behind out house........afterwards, every day I would spend  hours in those woods looking for that turtle !

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

AAFMHs8.img?h=476&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

• Las Vegas Neo-Nazi charged with plot to bomb gay club, synagogue -- The complaint also makes mention of a 2016 TV interview with Climo, conducted by Las Vegas ABC affiliate KTNV, in which he discusses patrolling his Centennial Hills neighborhood armed with an AR-15 assault rifle, large knife and 30 extra rounds of ammunition.
  • A Norwegian white nationalist tried to kill Muslims at a mosque -- Police says he was inspired by the attacks in Christchurch and El Paso. -- Manshaus thought he was a soldier in a race war; ended up a punchline. A deserved fate; The inevitable irony that every devotee of white supremacy is themselves evidence the proposition is false and should be known as the Manshaus Principle (Hat Tip to Adam Serwer).

?m=02&d=20190813&t=2&i=1418609383&w=780&

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9
On 8/13/2019 at 2:05 PM, valleycliffe said:

i was told turtles give you salmonella..

no turtles for me

On 8/13/2019 at 5:09 PM, lovemesomejoolery said:

same here!  I remember finding one at the curb in front of our house and my mom and dad freaked out when I touched it and made me wash my hands for roughly half an hour.  My dad picked it up with some tool he had and put it in the woods behind out house........afterwards, every day I would spend  hours in those woods looking for that turtle !

I heard the same thing about geckos. I have to rescue quite a few from the cats. I don't know if it's true or not, but I always wash vigorously after. 

Edited by jpagan05
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

This makes me so happy.  I cannot abide the destruction of art in any form.

I still tear up thinking about the 2000 yr old Buddha statues the Taliban blew to oblivion a few years ago....

😞   

I agree, art is art and history is history.  It should all be preserved.

In this case though the mural is offensive to the students, and understandably so.

What astounds me is the cost to either paint over it or cover it without removing it.  $875,000?

• Love 3

1154618932.jpg.0.jpg

A protest group holds up signs of Jeffrey Epstein in front of a New York City federal courthouse in July 2019, the month before his death. -- Stephanie Keith/Getty Images

• There's so much reporting/speculation on Jeffrey Epstein in the media it's difficult to sort out what bears significance. I gave up today, so I leave it to you -- Search results for "jeffrey epstein"
  • Women accuse opera legend Domingo of sexual harassment -- For decades, Placido Domingo, one of the most celebrated and powerful men in opera, has tried to pressure women into sexual relationships by dangling jobs and then sometimes punishing the women professionally when they refused his advances, numerous accusers told The Associated Press.
  • Bill Cosby's appeal of sex-crime conviction goes for crucial hearing -- Bill Cosby's effort to erase his conviction for sexual assault went before a Pennsylvania appellate panel Monday for a hearing focused on whether the trial judge made prejudicial errors or properly allowed testimony about Cosby's "decades-long pattern" of sexual misconduct. 
  • Justice late, not denied: New York to allow old abuse suits --  "Hundreds, if not thousands of people who say they were molested as children in New York state are expected to go to court this week to sue their alleged abusers and the institutions they say failed them, including the Catholic Church, the Boy Scouts, public schools and hospitals. It’s all because of a landmark state law passed this year that creates a one-year window allowing people to file civil lawsuits that had previously been barred by the state’s statute of limitations, one of the nation’s most restrictive, that had prevented many victims from seeking justice for decades-old abuse."
Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 9

I was out of the office yesterday. IT came in and 'upgraded' the office computers, and they're all jacked up.

I told the IT department head they had to repair all the desk tops that had been 'upgraded' to the satisfaction of the staff before I put down my pitchfork.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

There's so much reporting/speculation on Jeffrey Epstein in the media it's difficult to sort out what bears significance. I gave up today, so I leave it to you -- Search results for "jeffrey epstein"

This statement cracked me up!

And no kidding!  "His autopsy showed his neck was broken"  "His neck was broken consistent with suicide by hanging in 25% of cases"  "His autopsy report looks more like a homicide, but 25% of the time that bone is broken when someone hangs themselves" and my favorite today that I heard a pundit say "that bone is broken 25% of the time when someone hangs themselves, particularly when it's someone of Jeffrey Epstein's age".  Huh? 

I just know he is dead.....and I want his victims to have justice.  And I want those who were in on it with him to pay dearly.

• Love 11

I have a quick Pat update.  They have decided not to operate (YAY!) and see how it mends on it's own.  Poor baby is still sick and having trouble keeping food down but it's slow, hopefully steady progress.

Keep your fingers crossed and sending good thoughts his way.....

• Love 14

As I was leaving work I saw this little doggy walking down the sidewalk toward me. I asked him where he was going and he looked at me with one blind eye. I asked where his owner was and he sniffed my shoe. I let him sniff my hand and gave him a pat. He nuzzled by my leg. I've seen him in the past a couple of houses down. He likes to sit on the sofa in front of the window and people stare. He never barks at passerby's. 

I picked him up, he was sturdy. I'm thinking a chubby Jack Russel terrier, but I can't be sure. He nestled in my arms. I told him I was going to take him home and found his house and rang the bell. He licked my face while we waited. 

His owner opened the door, saw me, and then registered the doggy. She thanked me and I set him down and off he went into the house. Turns out she'd had a repairman over early and said he must have gotten out. I told her I was just happy I found him before he crossed into the street. I mentioned I often saw him sitting by the window as I would walk to the bus stop after work. 

She thanked me again and I wished her well and went home. 

I miss the doggy. He was cute and super chill and so sweet. I'm just happy he's safe. But I do wish I'd petted him a few seconds more before returning him, lol. 

• Love 17

Just dogs and squirrels? I'm the crazy guy who also talks to cats, birds, chipmunks, butterfies, ladybugs, caterpillars, spiders I find in my bathroom, the Xerox machine, etc...And I don't care if anybody sees me!  

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Aww, thanks. Although I'm like the crazy lady who talks to dogs and squirrels. I try and do it when I'm sure no one is around but it's still weird, heh. 

9 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Just dogs and squirrels? I'm the crazy guy who also talks to cats, birds, chipmunks, butterfies, ladybugs, caterpillars, spiders I find in my bathroom, the Xerox machine, etc...And I don't care if anybody sees me!  

On the Weird Scale, you two have a long way to go.

; )

I don't trust anyone who doesn't acknowledge living things that cross their path.

• Love 11

3e19adea-729e-11e9-b91a-87f62b76a5ee_ima

• All That’s Missing From This Story Is an Crocodile,, a Golf Cart, and Several Kilos of Cocaine: Approaching Peak Florida.

ap_19226627874072-b370c916abe1e2de51b8d1

City and Colour - The Grand Optimist -- From Little Hell

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

So good to know I'm not alone!

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Haha, no those too. The other day I spoke to a wasp that I feared might have been stuck to a wall. I don't even like wasps, lol.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5

Same here.....I used to be terrified of spiders in spite of liking all other crawly things but I've grown to appreciate them for keeping other harmful insects out of my house.  Living in the country we get some interesting things showing up.  

I got into the shower a couple of weeks ago and there was a small spider (I think they're called wolf spiders...black with white dots...little dudes)  shooed him out and he ran under the chest of drawers I use for towels, etc (didn't want a linen closet, not enough space and I like my old '30's Waterfall chest) , took my shower and I get out and as I'm drying off a much larger wolf spider came charging at me out from under the chest!  I said "Sorry, Momma.  I didn't hurt him, I swear!"  She paused and ran back under the chest.

We have an understanding now.....you don't get into my bed and all is cool.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
52 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Same here.....I used to be terrified of spiders in spite of liking all other crawly things but I've grown to appreciate them for keeping other harmful insects out of my house.  Living in the country we get some interesting things showing up.  

I got into the shower a couple of weeks ago and there was a small spider (I think they're called wolf spiders...black with white dots...little dudes)  shooed him out and he ran under the chest of drawers I use for towels, etc (didn't want a linen closet, not enough space and I like my old '30's Waterfall chest) , took my shower and I get out and as I'm drying off a much larger wolf spider came charging at me out from under the chest!  I said "Sorry, Momma.  I didn't hurt him, I swear!"  She paused and ran back under the chest.

We have an understanding now.....you don't get into my bed and all is cool.

You are admirable!

I'm neutral on spiders, but PLL is positively phobic. One night [perhaps more than one night, but she's not telling], a spider suspended from the ceiling closed in on her.

Lights on! Everything but emergency klaxon!

Result? Underpants on head to keep spiders out of her hair. A true fashion statement.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1

And there's more!

Oliver Is Welcome Everywhere! -- A Texas man took one local Petco’s “all leashed pets are welcome” slogan a bit too far by bringing in his steer.

The man, Vincent Browning, led his 1,600-pound African Watusi right into Petco outside Houston as carefree as if he were walking a dog.

The animal was so huge it just barely cleared the sliding doors with its horns. The steer even knew how to enter and exit the sliding doors properly by ducking its head.

Once the steer got inside, the gentle giant was greeted with a warm welcome from employees and customers.

People could not believe it as Oliver the curious steer looked around the store.

Browning said he wanted to “call their bluff;” however, the joke was on him.

The video was posted to Oliver’s Facebook page this week and has since gone viral with over 1 million views.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 9

An upsetting Friday afternoon in Pearlite and PLL's neighbournood yeaterday,

Around 4:00PM PLL appeared to check the PVR for DOOL, which she currently loves. I sat down with her and a glass of wine and then we heard two or three loud noises like a car backfiring. A minute or two later, sirens.

So we walk the two or three steps over to Roncesvalles and a wall of EMTs, cop cars, and somebody lying on the sidewalk outside spiffy Italian restaurant across the road.

It was a drive-by targeted shooting. And really upsetting, even as an observer.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/1-dead-after-daylight-shooting-in-roncesvalles-1.5250493

That's so unnerving!

We had a shooting incident a few days back. Not as close to my house though! That's scary, Pearlite. They believe it's mafia related. A man shot in the chest walked into a motel/hotel and staff called an ambulance. It's being investigated. 

So disconcerting when it happens near us. Being Canadian, I'm not used to gun violence. 

• Love 9

Wow...scary!   Be interesting to hear the back story on that.  Is it usually a quiet neighborhood?

I have a Pat update.  They let him go home last night so he is making good progress.  Gonna be in bed for awhile then some PT.  Still don't know how good his mobility will be.

• Love 14
8 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

That's so unnerving!

We had a shooting incident a few days back. Not as close to my house though! That's scary, Pearlite. They believe it's mafia related. A man shot in the chest walked into a motel/hotel and staff called an ambulance. It's being investigated. 

So disconcerting when it happens near us. Being Canadian, I'm not used to gun violence. 

Being American we didn't used to be used to it. It's insane.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

That's so unnerving!

Yeah, it still feels off.

And, yes, as it turns out, a mob hit. Courtesy of Montreal and Toronto's Rizzuto family. Straightforward kill-shot, and throw away the gun.

Quiet neighbourhood? Absolutely. And downtown is far less prone to gun/violence incidents in TO than are the suburbs. These things are unfortunate bi-products of the neighbourhood getting glitzier and more chic. Property values skyrocket and dirty money moves in. A fact of life, regrettably.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, jewel21 said:

That's so unnerving!

5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Being American we didn't used to be used to it. It's insane.

I keep shouting a the Devil and looking for emergency exits ... I can't get used to it.

When I see the faces of the survivors trying to comprehend the results of random domestic gun violence, I need this dynamic explained to me ...

• If one side of the aisle has a plan and the other side of the aisle has their plan, at what point do the two sides choose not talk to each other, so they can go home for summer recess to raise money and tell their constituents how complicated the gun issue is and how screwed up the other side of the aisle happens to be?

<shakes head>

Do Something!

• Love 10