Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, pearlite said:

On another note...the darker, dirtier side of Christmas...at least chez Pearlite...

Cleaning the damn fridge shelves. Note: I do perform this more than once a year. But so many questions arise:

• Do jars and bottles mysteriously leak onto the shelves during the night, leaving no trace on said jars and bottles that this has happened?
  • Do jars of mayonnaise mysteriously breed and multiply once the fridge door is closed, and it's dark in there?
  • Why are there always two jars of partly used apple butter in there?
  • Who decided we needed a huge bottle of Polish preserved cherries, then ate some, closed the jar, and left them to turn really interesting?
  • Who puts back a jar of chutney with less than a teaspoonful at the bottom of it?
  • Why, when I bought you a couple of really good cabbage rolls, did you take a piece off one, and abandon the rest?

These are the Yuletide questions that beset me. Maybe I should get out more.

Address your all questions to Human Resources. Due to the holiday schedule, a response may be delayed until after the first of the new year.

When you're done cleaning my refrigerator (don't forget to mop up the nuclear leak of siracha sauce under the produce drawer), there are two loads of laundry and the plants need watering.

I've got a stack of naked gingerbread men to clothe and my royal icing won't set up.

3141994.jpg

• Love 11
38 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

There are no short glasses in this house! ;-)

Nor in mine!  Mad dash to the store this morning, last desperate grab for some Riesling right before I ran out.  

1 minute ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Address your all questions to Human Resources. Due to the holiday schedule, a response may be delayed until after the first of the new year.

When you're done cleaning my refrigerator (don't forget to mop up the nuclear leak of siracha sauce under the produce drawer), there are two loads of laundry and the plants need watering.

I've got a stack of naked gingerbread men to clothe and my royal icing won't set up.

3141994.jpg

Those cookies look fabulous, Cupid Stunt.  

Shepard's pie here tonight, simple and perfect for a cold (by northern California standards, anyway) night.

• Love 9
On 12/21/2018 at 5:34 AM, valleycliffe said:

so yesterday another major wind storm happened..

this time, it blew down our fence in the back yard and toppled the blue spruce tree which fell on our house..luckily the spruce was only about 15 yrs old and it fell on the corner of our house but only damaged the eaves troughs...hubby had to go and get his chainsaw to cut the tree so he can clear our driveway...

when the tree hit our house it startled me so bad it made me yell out..

also, since our dog is an escape artist we have to take him out on a leash so he can do his business instead of just letting him out the back door.

hubby is going to be very busy for the next couple of days.

I am so sorry about your wind damage. I hate the wind. It scares the shit out of me. I sit here clutching the edges of my desk, ready to dive under it at the slightest sound of creaking branches. I was looking out the window at the row of Douglas firs swaying like hula dancers next door.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

HR? Horrible refrigerator?

Cupid, I adore you, but I'm not cleaning your fridge. Got my own issues with Sriracha stains--I haven't even hit the produce drawers yet. They scare me. Right now, I'm trying to fathom why no one ever cleans out the microwave. That one's right up there with the riddle of the Sphinx. And, for extra seasonal cheer, the washing machine pooped out.

Those are lovely gingerbread people [trying for correctness].

I'm in that decompression mode--kind of a low-pressure zone once a semester ends, and I realize I can kind of turn off for a while. Happens every year, and it takes a few days.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, OhioSongbird said:

Amen, sister peaches!  Join me in a tall glass of wine?

Homemade pizza, pearlite?  Yummm and recipe, please.  Haven't made one in a long time.

Nothing spectacular, really. A ball of pizza dough, with some cornmeal on the bottom of the flat pan. The sauce varies, depending on whether PLL or I make it--Italian tomatoes squashed and drained a bit. In saute pan after you've cooked some finely minced onion, then garlic, at a low heat in good olive oil [marinara, really]. Reduce this, and add dried oregano, a very small pinch of sugar [depends on the tomatoes you use], and at the end, some torn-up fresh basil if you have it--otherwise pitch in dried basil with the oregano.

The quality of it really rests on the quality of the mozzarella [full fat only] you can get. We're lucky; there's an Italian cheese factory not far from us, whose fresh mozzarella [& ricotta] are wonderful.

Edited by pearlite
  • Love 9
42 minutes ago, boes said:

Nor in mine!  Mad dash to the store this morning, last desperate grab for some Riesling right before I ran out.  

So we're all admitting we drink out of 32 oz Slurpee cups?

Those cookies look fabulous, Cupid Stunt. 

The trick is to not bake gingerbread dry in the oven: remove from the oven a minute before the baking time is done and let them finish baking on the hot cookie sheet until they're cool. 

Shepard's pie here tonight, simple and perfect for a cold (by northern California standards, anyway) night.

A Rueben casserole for us. I went to Langer's deli and went kosher.

34 minutes ago, pearlite said:

HR? Horrible refrigerator?

Cupid, I adore you, but I'm not cleaning your fridge. Got my own issues with Sriracha stains--I haven't even hit the produce drawers yet. They scare me. Right now, I'm trying to fathom why no one ever cleans out the microwave. That one's right up there with the riddle of the Sphinx. And, for extra seasonal cheer, the washing machine pooped out.

Those are lovely gingerbread people [trying for correctness].

<snerk>

Once you mentioned refrigerator cleaning, I put on a HAZMAT suit and got to work.

I try to organize the condiments by height, but there's always a fossilized jar of bean paste that ends up behind a barricade of mustard jars, tahini and Greek olives. 

I'm in that decompression mode--kind of a low-pressure zone once a semester ends, and I realize I can kind of turn off for a while. Happens every year, and it takes a few days.

Me too. I bake to decompress. To heck with the laundry ...

• Love 6

A Rueben casserole sounds delicious!  One of my favorite sandwiches but I hate Thousand Island dressing so I prefer brown mustard.  Really good.....

There's a song called "Life's Too Short to Fold Laundry".  Really cute.  Lots of folks hate to fold laundry but I enjoy it.  Good decompresser for me, too.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

A Rueben casserole sounds delicious!  One of my favorite sandwiches but I hate Thousand Island dressing so I prefer brown mustard.  Really good.....

There's a song called "Life's Too Short to Fold Laundry".  Really cute.  Lots of folks hate to fold laundry but I enjoy it.  Good decompresser for me, too.

I like to iron for the same reason. You can really get into the zone.

• Love 6

Hello to you, too, @pearlite!  I had to take my mom to buy the baccalà the other day.  However, I will not be partaking.  Recently, I found myself to be vegan-curious, so I will have the Feast of the Seven Legumes.  But there is no way I am passing up the panettone.  I hope PLL enjoyed her birthday!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Snaporaz said:

Hello to you, too, @pearlite!  I had to take my mom to buy the baccalà the other day.  However, I will not be partaking.  Recently, I found myself to be vegan-curious, so I will have the Feast of the Seven Legumes.  But there is no way I am passing up the panettone.  I hope PLL enjoyed her birthday!

I became vegan in May 🌱 it has been wonderful. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Oh, mio caro snaporaz! How kind of you to remember her birthday! She’s house-and cat-sitting one of her former profs, so I have her part of the time at least.

Vegan I admire you! We’ve been at the panettone already.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

And the return of a Christmas favorite ...

enhanced-buzz-636-1387048633-9.jpg?downs

Joseph, Mary and Baby Dweezil

Hmm, here at the house of dubious taste and, despite someone's theological graduate degree [hem, hem, PLL] and notable lack of conventional reverence, and my tendency to a lot of catcalling, we tuned in to that immortal masterwork of the late Nicholas Ray, with Jeffery Hunter in the career-killing role of JC, King of Kings. Many indelicate comments were tossed about--I shone especially during Herod's lustful interchanges with his daughter.

Oh, wrong holiday?

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Hmm, here at the house of dubious taste and, despite someone's theological graduate degree [hem, hem, PLL] and notable lack of conventional reverence, and my tendency to a lot of catcalling, we tuned in to that immortal masterwork of the late Nicholas Ray, with Jeffery Hunter in the career-killing role of JC, King of Kings. Many indelicate comments were tossed about--I shone especially during Herod's lustful interchanges with his daughter.

Oh, wrong holiday?

Ah ha!  Someone else who considers the "Life of Brian" a documentary?  

I knew I wasn't alone.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, pearlite said:

Oh, wrong holiday?

Talk about career killers, Ted Neeley anyone?

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Capricasix said:

I actually saw him in a live performance of JC Superstar in the mid-nineties - he was getting a bit long in the tooth for it even then 😄

There is no doubt he could sing but he was the whiniest Jesus I've ever seen in anything.

• Love 7

Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday to all of you!

And thank you for brightening up some dark spots in the past year--you're just such a pleasure, and such smart, funny, enjoyable people!

jesus-christmas-meme-662x814-662x814_c.jpg

Edited by pearlite
  • Love 13

Had the best day with my dad, bringing in the foster angus (he's boarding cattle abandoned on state land until auction). I'm out of practice riding a cutting horse, but it's like your first boyfriend … follow his head and let him do most of the work.

What's Christmas without a fire in the fireplace and some select music to sip Tom and Jerry's to?

Eight-year-old Virginia O’Hanlon wrote a letter to the editor of New York’s Sun, and the quick response was printed as an unsigned editorial Sept. 21, 1897. The work of veteran newsman Francis Pharcellus Church has since become history’s most reprinted newspaper editorial.

DEAR EDITOR: I am 8 years old.
Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus.
Papa says, ‘If you see it in THE SUN it’s so.’
Please tell me the truth; is there a Santa Claus?

VIRGINIA O’HANLON.
115 WEST NINETY-FIFTH STREET.

VIRGINIA, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men’s or children’s, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus. It would be as dreary as if there were no VIRGINIAS. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas Eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if they did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that’s no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the baby’s rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, VIRGINIA, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy to all Preverts! I second pearlite's sentiments, you creepy weirdos are the best friends a girl could ask for!

Couldn't have said it better myself!!  

Much joy and blessings to you all this holiday season!

• Love 12

Merry Christmas Eve! I hope Santa gives each of you something you want 🎁 I love all of you so much ❤️ I’m snuggled up w George and a pile of crosswords and will over indulge in chips, hummus, and cheesy and cute movies. I have a hankering to watch Major League, a personal favorite, or John Hughes. 

@AngelKitty God sent a dog with a letter to teach unconditional love. He ate the letter, but dogs have been sharing the message ever since.

I think that’s true of dogs and our other animal companions (like cats, buns, birds and pigs) the capacity of their love and forgiveness is truly humbling. 

• Love 12

A very Merry-Merry/Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy/Cheerful.......paper-rippin', belly-stuffin', after dinner nappin' Yuletide to all my fellow Preverts!

I love being a part of all your brilliant and hilarious snark on show and our life/experience sharing.

Carry on wid your bad selfs.....and I know you will.

• Love 13

I did have a lovely day. I cooked a 12-pound turkey for just me and Mr. AngelKitty. While it was cooking we watched The Christmas Chronicles on Netflix which was cute and I've always been enamored of Kurt Russell. We ate early so for dinner just picked at leftovers. We don't exchange gifts anymore but Mr. A got me a really cute card and since I didn't get him one, I re-wrote the rhyme to pertain to him and gave it back.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

I did have a lovely day. I cooked a 12-pound turkey for just me and Mr. AngelKitty. While it was cooking we watched The Christmas Chronicles on Netflix which was cute and I've always been enamored of Kurt Russell. We ate early so for dinner just picked at leftovers. We don't exchange gifts anymore but Mr. A got me a really cute card and since I didn't get him one, I re-wrote the rhyme to pertain to him and gave it back.

That sounds really nice!

• Love 7

tngqe7pryn601.jpg

Post-Christmas dinner casualties 

We do a Secret Santa lottery, stocking stuffers and a Pink Elephant. And what was the most contested Pink Elephant gift? … As Seen On TV!

large_46829.jpg

Boxing Day, explained -- "Boxing Day, which always falls on December 26, is observed as an official public holiday in the UK and many European countries, as well as in former British colonies such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa, among others. America has decided that, much like the metric system and extra U's in certain words, we will not embrace this particular tradition. "

7 bad science and health ideas that should die with 2018

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Boxing Day, explained -- "Boxing Day, which always falls on December 26, is observed as an official public holiday in the UK and many European countries, as well as in former British colonies such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa, among others. America has decided that, much like the metric system and extra U's in certain words, we will not embrace this particular tradition. "

Hmm, well, it's a holiday for civil servants, banks, liquor stores [provincial] and various levels of government offices. Otherwise, it's just a shopping day for those indefatiguable souls who haven't had enough shopping. I am not a shopper; ergo, I'd had enough by the 23rd, and I can't stand malls. Maybe other Commonwealth countries attach more significance to it than we do.

I've never met anyone who actually thinks about its C of E origins--my cat calendar assures me that it was a mediaeval alms-giving day or something, followed by some Victorian thing about giving the help a day off and a box of stuff. The cat calendar is never wrong.

• Love 8

packing up some food and stuff and heading to tofino in an hour or so...can't wait.

there is snow on highway 4 so will have to be careful driving...

looks like there will be lots of rain in tofino so taking umbrella, rain boots and my parka  ( going for a walk on long beach in the pacific rim park ) also my blankie for over my knees during the drive there..oh, an my alligator record collection for parts where there is no radio signal.

had ham and scalloped potatoes for dinner last night tho it was later than usual...mistimed the ham again..

i found out i don't like pecan pie...it's just way to sweet.

Edited by valleycliffe
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

packing up some food and stuff and heading to tofino in an hour or so...can't wait.

looks like there will be lots of rain in tofino so taking umbrella, rain boots and my parka  ( going for a walk on long beach in the pacific rim park ) also my blankie for over my knees during the drive there..oh, an my alligator record collection for parts where there is no radio signal.

had ham and scalloped potatoes for dinner last night tho it was later than usual...mistimed the ham again..

Have a great time and a safe trip!

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

Now, that sounds like a wonderful day!

I'm hoping to get ambitious enough for a wee walkie--no snow here, and I'm glad of that. I do wish the sun would come out, though.

The turkey, stuffing, onion porridge, gravy, braised leeks, and so on are lying in the fridge awaiting day 2. After that point, I stop eating it. Christmas dessert is pretty much a non-starter here--I never know what to do about it. When I was a child, Christmas pudding with hard sauce still happened, but alas... I do eat one or two mince tarts, for ceremonial reasons. Then I throw out whatever's left.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, pearlite said:

Hmm, well, it's a holiday for civil servants, banks, liquor stores [provincial] and various levels of government offices. Otherwise, it's just a shopping day for those indefatiguable souls who haven't had enough shopping. I am not a shopper; ergo, I'd had enough by the 23rd, and I can't stand malls. Maybe other Commonwealth countries attach more significance to it than we do.

I've never met anyone who actually thinks about its C of E origins--my cat calendar assures me that it was a mediaeval alms-giving day or something, followed by some Victorian thing about giving the help a day off and a box of stuff. The cat calendar is never wrong.

365 Cats!  A friend of mine has been giving me that calendar for years now.  I keep the pages to write notes on the back.  And you're right...it's never wrong.

I have no idea just how much polite eating I do during the holidays.  "Of course I'll have one of your gross cookies/cupcakes/confections even though you should never be allowed anywhere close to a kitchen."  Can't people bake at any time of year, just to spread it out a little?  

• Love 10
12 hours ago, pearlite said:

Other than King Wenceslas, I always thought Boxing Day was a bank holiday. I hit the three antique shops in town and bought vintage Christmas decorations, stopped and visited friends. 

I'm a true believer in 365 Days of Cat calendars. They must have a research department to rival the New Yorker.

Have a fun vacation, Valley!

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 8

Boxing Day is a federal stat holiday in Canada, and a provincial stat in many provinces so most people have it off, except for retail etc.  In those provinces, those employees would be getting  time and a half for working on Boxing Day.

• Love 8