Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

I know it's colder where y'all are, but when the temperature goes below freezing here, we let the water drip, a pretty steady drip to keep the water flowing and not freezing. Does that not work for you guys?

We do this too.  Turn on all the faucets and let 'em drip or even trickle a bit.

• Love 2

I know it's colder where y'all are, but when the temperature goes below freezing here, we let the water drip, a pretty steady drip to keep the water flowing and not freezing. Does that not work for you guys?

SS, it would work, so I'm told...but...I tend to retire ahead of daughter [keeps grad student hours] and others [who have no excuse], so...how shall I put this...even if I ask for such a service, it tends not to occur...

Also, the pipes/drains in question are on the back [south] wall of the kitchen, whose extension was built out into the backyard over a cold pantry in the basement--so pipes are not warmed by anything. And this winter, all the cold wind is hitting the south face of the house--that is unusual for here. Maybe it's from being so close to the lake--who knows?

Edited by pearlite
  • Love 3

I did that by accident once and went out for a couple of hours and when I came home I found an icicle hanging from the spout!  LOL  

Given my luck this winter--and given the ice-weenie out the front of the house--I can see this happening here!

• Love 4

I am in Texas. sitting at my desk, looking at the most beautiful snowfall I ever saw.  The flakes are huge, the roads are melting, so driving is safe, and everything else is covered.  The pool is the only thing that isn't white.  Keeping my great grand-daughter today, so life couldn't get much better than this.  Hope everyone has a great day.

• Love 5

beautiful day today where I am..sun shining makes beautiful diamonds on the snow..the snow is up past the bird feeders now and we can't get to them anyway, so we just throw the seed out on the snow and watch them feed from there...we have had the guys come by three times to shovel the snow off the roof...so looking forward to spring, but concerned about flooding when this massive amount of snow begins to melt..seems like a grand exodus of many of my family members (children, grandchildren) to the Dominican, Bermuda etc as March break approaches..hubby and I will just stay here and watch the snow melt...no urge to travel anymore...

• Love 3

stewedsquash - you have so much fun ahead.  Been there - done that.  My grandchildren are 27, 25, & 19 - this one is my only GREAT grandchild.  At my age, I never thought I'd be able to handle her and probably can't when she gets mobile.  Right now, she's almost 6 months old and such a joy.  Never quits smiling and they let me keep her in 3 or 4 hour blocks, so I don't get completely worn out.  I have to fight with my son and his wife for time with her.  Having watched 3 grandkids go to kindergarten, I know what you mean - the time goes too fast.  Enjoy!

• Love 2

Yes it does go too fast. My oldest granddaughter is 17 and headed to university next year. Yikes! I used to babysit her daily and it was so tough when her mother moved away. Even though it was only about 1 1/2 hours, it felt like it was the moon. 

The little ones are coming out to tobaggan today. We've had a light dust of fresh powder and it isn't that cold. Still below freezing but not by far. They will have a blast!

The wildlife is really suffering with this prolonged chill and deep snow. Four turkeys were grazing under our bird feeders and we are going through seed like crazy. They must be getting pretty desperate to venture this close to a house with dogs. 

Hard to believe the clocks will change next weekend already!

• Love 2

the narcissus are up in our front garden..

>:( This is meant to be a "dislike" face!

Elizabeth May (Green Part leader) tweeted a picture of cherry blossoms this morning and said, in essence, "Don't worry, Rest of Canada! Spring is on its way!"

• Love 4

Elizabeth May (Green Part leader) tweeted a picture of cherry blossoms this morning and said, in essence, "Don't worry, Rest of Canada! Spring is on its way!"

Uh huh.

• Love 3

That is a super good "dislike" face - I love the frown lines.  These little faces you guys make fascinate me.

You can edit your post using the little pencil icon (located at the bottom of the post) for up to a week after posting.

Good information - and I have to use it constantly.  I never take the time to proofread my nonsense.  lol.

• Love 2

It's snowing like crazy in Texas again - all the schools closed and dozens of wrecks, as usual.  Will this never stop?  I don't know how you guys up north handle this.  It's beautiful, but I think I'm ready for spring, already.

• Love 3

Well, Photofox, this one's for you...

6c13559993ff75cebf85a1606ec59ecf.jpg

When I got home last evening, I clicked past TCM, and caught the last bit of this immortal 1972 item. And thought, "grumpy bunnies." Mind you, these bunners were supposed to be ultra-pissed-off, vengeful, and carnivorous. But not even the rabbit wranglers could make the bunny-herds look anything but just sorta cute.

• Love 4

Oh hai, you guize.  I'm back!  The repairman just left and I couldn't wait to get back to my favorite Preverts!  I have A Lot of catching up to do.

Welcome back - I remember when mine was fixed, it felt like the greatest gift in the world.  I came to this site before I checked my bank balance. lol

• Love 4

Welcome back - I remember when mine was fixed, it felt like the greatest gift in the world.  I came to this site before I checked my bank balance. lol

Thanks, movinon!  I did the same thing!  God, what a hassle, when you realize how dependent you are on the interwebs.  The repairman told me that most of his calls are for people going crazy over losing access and they don't give a rats ass about their landlines.

• Love 3

It's been kinda quiet in here lately, so...

Movinon--i've got friends down in Texas right now--I thought of you!  They're some place south of Dallas/Fort Worth, near Waco. I head Waco, and thought eugh...

Mind you, they're down there hunting wild hogs. I'm on the hogs' side where hunting's concerned--I texted one of these friends that I put out an APB to my compadres, the pigs, to hustle themselves south of the border.

• Love 3

It's been kinda quiet in here lately, so...

Movinon--i've got friends down in Texas right now--I thought of you!  They're some place south of Dallas/Fort Worth, near Waco. I head Waco, and thought eugh...

Mind you, they're down there hunting wild hogs. I'm on the hogs' side where hunting's concerned--I texted one of these friends that I put out an APB to my compadres, the pigs, to hustle themselves south of the border.

Thanks for thinking of me - it's absolutely gorgeous here right now, in the 70's, and I hope the winter is gone.  Kids are already in the pools here, but we know they are cold.  I don't know about wild hogs in Waco, but Tyler and that area has them, and they are absolutely vicious.  I  have a friend whose husband goes boar hunting occasionally and they have to climb trees to get away from them.  From what I hear, they are maybe twice the size of a normal hog, and have tusks.  I have never seen one and don't really want to.

• Love 1

Thanks for thinking of me - it's absolutely gorgeous here right now, in the 70's, and I hope the winter is gone.  Kids are already in the pools here, but we know they are cold.  I don't know about wild hogs in Waco, but Tyler and that area has them, and they are absolutely vicious.  I  have a friend whose husband goes boar hunting occasionally and they have to climb trees to get away from them.  From what I hear, they are maybe twice the size of a normal hog, and have tusks.  I have never seen one and don't really want to.

Well, I'm glad to know the weather's good!

I guess in my friends' case, at least moving around in pursuit of one of those fearsome tuskers will give them some exercise--most of their texts have been about eating huge steaks, Texas BBQ, and everything else they could find in Arkansas, Tennessee, and so on. Man, I'd love a picture of one of those XXXL boys up a tree...

It was nice to have something to share, movinon! I've got nothing going on up here, except for a strike at the university where I teach--not interesting, just a lot of sitting in the car, waiting for picket lines to let me through.

• Love 2

Pearlite, what's your opinion of the strike? Do the TAs have a good reason to strike, or not?

Unrelated - I was watching All in the Family tonight (I was too young to watch it when it first aired in the 1970s), and a young A Martinez, Cruz from Santa Barbara, had a role as Archie's bartender! I liked him when SB was on.

• Love 1

Pearlite, what's your opinion of the strike? Do the TAs have a good reason to strike, or not?

Unrelated - I was watching All in the Family tonight (I was too young to watch it when it first aired in the 1970s), and a young A Martinez, Cruz from Santa Barbara, had a role as Archie's bartender! I liked him when SB was on.

I'm of two minds [at least] about the York strike--and my daughter's stuck in the U of T one, too. TAs make a fair buck for marking and doing tutorials--they don't create courses, just do stuff under supervision. That said, some of them have kids or other obligations, and if they don't have other fellowships or grants, they get stretched pretty thin. Mind you, as someone who had to hustle and who usually worked a couple of jobs, part of me wants to yell at them a bit, too.

Contract faculty are another issue--some of those have been teaching for decades, and some never get tenure--it just depends on the department--and they have very little job security; they have to sign new contracts every year--those at York have already settled, though.

Enough of that--I'm glad to have my students back, finally. They're the ones who suffer with this stuff.

Oh, Santa Barbara! I really liked that show--especially Lane Davies.

I have to sincerely thank each and every one of you for the fabulous snark. My very ancient, wisp of a Mom is quite ill right now and reading all of these comments has given me much joy, snickers, and outright guffaws. What a fantastic, witty group!! 

• Love 6
(edited)

I have to sincerely thank each and every one of you for the fabulous snark. My very ancient, wisp of a Mom is quite ill right now and reading all of these comments has given me much joy, snickers, and outright guffaws. What a fantastic, witty group!! 

This is a nice group to have around when you are going through unbearable times.  I wish the very best for your Mom, and you have my sympathy - been there, done that.  Nothing is more heart-wrenching than watching the person who made you who you are, laying helpless and dependent on you.  I'm sure everyone on the board wishes you peace and hope.  Will be thinking of you.

Edited by movinon
  • Love 7

Your little wisp of a Mom has a wonderful amazing daughter to help guide her through her final life's journey..watching our Mom's slip away from us is a very traumatic experience...no matter the age, it is a life changing event for all of us...hugs Patsy  and it's great that you have this place to comfort and amuse you...it's great that we all do..:0)

• Love 5

Your little wisp of a Mom has a wonderful amazing daughter to help guide her through her final life's journey..watching our Mom's slip away from us is a very traumatic experience...no matter the age, it is a life changing event for all of us...hugs Patsy  and it's great that you have this place to comfort and amuse you...it's great that we all do..:0)

Beautifully said, Red.  This really brings it all back, so sharply. 

• Love 3

Hugs and prayers. It's been almost a year now since I lost my ancient wisp of a mom. Hold on to the memories.

• Love 5

My best wishes and prayers for you both, as well.

This board is the best discovery I've made in years--people are smart, kind, and obviously entertaining. All without the bitterness and cliquey, factional behaviour that kept me from posting much on TWOP. [sorry, you can give me a bunny--maybe not one of those Flemish Giants, though--for that reference, if need be.]

• Love 5
(edited)

PatsyandEddie my thoughts are with you in this difficult time. You always brighten my day with your posts and quips.

Guys I apologize I this has been mentioned. I know many of you have dogs or have friends and and family with dogs. Please be mindful of the kennel cough and canine influenza epidemics going around ! this shit is no joke. Several dogs I work with have it and it turned to pneumonia and one died yesterday . It's extremely contagious so avoid grooming. Daycare, boarding, dog parks, elevators if you live in the afflicted regions

Edited by Petunia13
  • Love 4