Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

I started my foofy steakhouse job taking tables (only a tiny section)  tonight. I only took 5 tables this evening. It went okay from my standpoint but the kitchen and runners fucked up a lot of my stuff. One table had $55 entree deleted from a cooking bungle (rare when I rang medium and supposed be cut tableside and wasn’t)  and all my salads were missing their dressing or modifications ect.  Also a server messed up my order on a table I was one of the many computers ringing a tables order and my guest flagged me so I went over briefly and the other girl started ringing on my ticket instead of one of the free computer terminals  and I had the manager “take it off” but he didn’t remove the full amount so I printed and brought the check it was wrong and had to redo it. Another coworker went up to my table on a date and asked them if they were helped and started service but they had their bread and drinks from me like obviously they were. Those goofs and the tiny section made my tips smaller than they could be. After tip out and taxes I only got $63 and change which isn’t good for 5 tables on a Friday. 

Some of the coworkers are catty to me too. I guess that’s to be expected. I also start another 2nd job Monday selling cars at a dealership.  Both jobs are v close to home 😊 

i think when I’m in the swing of things Ill do well as a server. I like those types of roles, it makes me feel good helping people and I have zero ego doing it or selling. That actually is a secret to selling and doing well in service or menial positions. But is also a hinderance since people I work w probably sense I don’t care about ass pats and idle conversation. The guys at my restaurant job were much friendly in a sincere way. I’ll find a way to make it work. I do work hard on sidework and busing or offering to run stuff so that w me trying to fluff them may help. 

• Love 11

This could be awkward:

• Father charged after twins die in hot car -- After a funeral for 1-year-old twins who died after their father left them in a hot car, apparently by accident. Juan Rodriguez is charged with manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide, and endangering the welfare of a child. There have been 24 hot car deaths this year, after 52 in 2018. 
  • Navy SEALs have a "discipline" problem -- The commander of the Navy’s special operations forces is sounding the alarm about a breakdown in discipline in the elite Navy SEALs. His call to action follows a series of disturbing incidents involving members of SEAL teams.
  • Amsterdam mayor seeks red light closures -- The controversy over reforming the red light district also points to a larger debate among feminists in Amsterdam: Is the industry degrading and exploitative, or is it giving women the freedom to whatever they want with their bodies?
  • Amsterdam sex workers lukewarm about plans to reform Red Light District -- She’s provided four options: closing the curtains of the brothel windows, removing brothels from the district altogether, relocating some brothels, or increasing the number of windows to dilute the pressure of tourists. Debates to determine the best option will be held next week and voted on later in the summer.

katy-perry-dark-horse.jpg

• How to politely smoke weed -- Emily Post’s great-great-granddaughter wrote a book about cannabis etiquette — a thing you never thought you’d need.

<heavy sigh>

niecey.jpg?w=696

Robert Johnson, singer/songwriter

• Love 10

Harold Prince, Dominant Force in Broadway Musicals, Dies at 91

Legendary Broadway musical producer and director Harold Prince, whose considerable legacy includes “Fiddler on the Roof,” “Cabaret,” “West Side Story,” “Company,” “Sweeney Todd” and “The Phantom of the Opera,” has died. He was 91.

Prince died Wednesday in Reykjavik, Iceland, after a brief illness, his publicist confirmed to Variety.

Andrew Lloyd Webber, who collaborated with Prince on “Evita” and “Phantom of the Opera,” paid tribute to the prolific Broadway producer. “Farewell, Hal,” he said. “Not just the prince of musicals, the crowned head who directed two of the greatest productions of my career, ‘Evita’ and ‘Phantom.’ This wonderful man taught me so much and his mastery of musical theater was without equal.”

It is impossible to speak of the American musical theater in the second half of the 20th century without invoking Prince’s name. He is associated in some crucial way with a majority of the great musicals of the period, and though he did not change the face of the musical theater alone, he collaborated with such giants as George Abbott, Jerome Robbins, Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim in some of their most impressive undertakings.

Starting as a wunderkind producer with “The Pajama Game” and “Damn Yankees” in the mid-’50s, Prince moved into directing as well, shaping intimate works like “Cabaret” and “Company” that deepened and transformed the scope of the musical. He was equally adept at spectacle, as he demonstrated with Webber productions such as “Evita” and “Phantom of the Opera.”

With 21 Tonys on his mantle — the most of any individual — Prince was truly his era’s paradigm for a theatrical impresario — brash, demanding, creatively rigorous. His short hair and closely cropped beard were copied by many who sought success on Broadway, almost as if the look was a talisman for success.

But few of his imitators had the wherewithal and passion Prince brought to his work, and while he had the occasional down period, the astounding success of his best- known productions all but paved over the occasional glitch — his flops were never as bad nor his successes as big.

Abbott was his first mentor; Prince developed his next significant relationship with fellow stage manager Robert E. Griffith, and the two embarked on a producing career by optioning the novel “7½ Cents,” which was the basis for their first musical, “The Pajama Game.” Directed by Abbott on a modest budget, it was a major hit of the 1954 season and won the producers a Tony. Prince later served as associate producer on the 1957 film version.

The following year, again with Griffith, Prince produced an equally big hit, “Damn Yankees,” winning a second Tony (he was associate producer on that film too in 1958). Their next musical. “New Girl in Town” (based on “Anna Christie”), was a brief comedown from the heights of their first two productions.

But their biggest success came in 1957 with “West Side Story,” which brought the talents of Sondheim, Bernstein, Jerome Robbins and Arthur Laurents together in an updated retelling of “Romeo and Juliet.” Prince and Griffith’s next production, “Fiorello,” a musical about the colorful former mayor of New York, won a Pulitzer Prize (as well as a Tony), though follow-up “Tenderloin” paled by comparison.

Prince’s first genuine flop was the straight play “A Call on Kuprin” in 1961. It was also his last collaboration with Griffith, who died suddenly in June of that year. Stunned at first, Prince quickly recovered with the fluffy Broadway comedy “Take Her, She’s Mine” and another major musical hit, “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum,” which Prince helped transform during its troubled out-of-town run. It brought Prince yet another Tony.

Eager to finally direct, he replaced Word Baker on “A Family Affair” in 1962, though his doctoring of the musical didn’t quite succeed and it closed after 65 performances. Encouraged by Abbott, Prince got back on the horse with a limited run of “The Matchmaker” and then felt the first glow of directorial success with “She Loves Me,” based on the wonderful Ernst Lubitsch film “Shop Around the Corner.”

He put his producer’s hat back on for one of the major musicals of the 1960s, “Fiddler on the Roof,” which shattered every Broadway record during its prosperous run and brought Prince yet another Tony. It more than compensated for the next three musical productions, “Flora, the Red Menace,” “It’s a Bird…It’s a Plane….It’s Superman” and “Baker Street” (which Prince directed), none of which enjoyed a profitable run. “Poor Bitos,” a straight play, also failed.

The first major indication of Prince’s directorial style came with “Cabaret” in 1966. The Kander-Ebb musical based on Christopher Isherwood’s “Berlin Stories” and John Van Druten’s “I Am a Camera” was a darker, almost Brechtian tale, and the production brought home eight Tonys that year; like “West Side Story,” it would later become an Oscar-winning film musical.

With Kander and Ebb, Prince hit Tony paydirt again with “Zorba,” an adaptation of the acclaimed 1964 film “Zorba the Greek.”

But the next major turn in Prince’s career was “Company,” the first of a long line of directorial collaborations with composer-lyricist Sondheim. Though not as big a financial hit as some of his other musicals, “Company” changed the face of the musical theater, bringing psychological drama and social relevance to the form. It won Prince yet another Tony. The following year came the even darker “Follies” and a Tony for his direction of it.

In 1970 Prince directed the first of two films, “Something for Everyone,” a black comedy that became something of a cult hit.

He would later tackle a film version of one of his best collaborations with Sondheim, “A Little Night Music,” bringing little of its charm to the screen. But the 1973 Tony-winning stage production was a brilliantly nuanced realization of Ingmar Bergman’s “Smiles of a Summer Night” that had warmth and sentiment, which “Company” and “Follies” often lacked.

Prince and Sondheim would collaborate on only one more great musical, “Sweeney Todd,” another dark exercise (about a murderous barber), which was close to an opera and one of the milestones of the 1970s. Their other two works, “Pacific Overtures” and, later, “Merrily We Roll Along” had their problems, particularly the latter, a story that is told backwards. “Merrily We Roll Along” ended the Prince/Sondheim partnership, though they reportedly remained friends. Prince also directed the revue “Side by Side by Sondheim,” which made the most of Sondheim’s singular songs and themes.

Also during this period Prince brought Bernstein’s “Candide” back to vivid life on Broadway, winning another Tony. Straight play assignments included “Love for Love” and “Some of My Best Friends Are.” A musical version of “Twentieth Century” entitled “On the Twentieth Century” was also a modest hit for Prince.

Prince’s next great collaboration came with Andrew Lloyd Webber. Using some of the theatrical style of “Sweeney Todd,” Prince astutely transferred Lloyd Webber’s musical composition “Evita” to the stage. Later in the decade would come “Phantom of the Opera,” one of the most profitable musical productions ever.

There were some stones in the road like the musical version of Ibsen’s “A Doll’s House” entitled “A Doll’s Life” and “Grind.” He tried to fix the musical “Rex,” but it didn’t take. Prince forayed into drama with “Play Memory,” “End of the World,” “The Visit,” “The Great God Brown” and “Diamonds,” some for the Phoenix Repertory. He even wrote and directed the Off Broadway production “Grandchild of the Kings,” based on the autobiographical writings of Sean O’Casey.

Into the 1990s Prince scored with “Kiss of the Spider Woman” (another Kander-Ebb adaptation) and a successful revival of “Show Boat.” He also brought back “Candide,” though he failed to reach Broadway with Lloyd Webber’s musical adaptation of “Whistle Down the Wind.”

Prince co-conceived and directed the 1998 musical “Parade,” about an anti-Semitic incident in the South, but while the tuner scored with critics and at the Tonys — Alfred Uhry won for best book and Jason Robert Brown for original score, and Prince was nominated — it closed on Broadway after only 39 previews and 84 regular performances.

In 2002 Prince directed “Hollywood Arms,” an autobiographical play by Carol Burnett and her daughter Carrie Hamilton, but its run was also brief.

The next year he helmed the Stephen Sondheim musical “Bounce” at Chicago’s Goodman Theater. It moved to the Kennedy Center under a different director and didn’t make it to New York, although it was revived later under a different name.

Prince conceived the idea for a musical based on the lives of Kurt Weill and Lotte Lenya and brought it to Uhry, who penned the work, titled “LoveMusik.” Some reviews for the limited-run Broadway production directed by Prince in 2007 were ecstatic.

Most recently, Prince co-helmed, with Susan Stroman, the new tuner “Paradise Found,” for which Jonathan Tunick adapted the music of Johann Strauss II, with lyrics by Ellen Fitzhugh. Richard Nelson penned the book based on Joseph Roth novel “The Tale of the 1002nd Night.” The musical premiered at London’s Menier Chocolate Factory in May 2010 and starred Mandy Patinkin.

After cutting his teeth with the American premiere of Israeli Josef Tal’s opera “Ashmedai” at the New York City Opera, Prince alternated between the commercial musical stage and more classical pieces — “La fanciulla del west” (Chicago Lyric Opera and San Francisco), Kurt Weill’s “The Silver Sea” in New York, “La Traviata” in Santa Fe as well as productions at the Metropolitan, Houston Grand Opera, Dallas, Vienna Staatsoper and Teatro Colon in Buenos Aires.

Born and raised in Manhattan, the son of a successful stock broker, Prince developed an interest in the theater from a young age. “Theater was always part of my life,” he once told a journalist. After graduating from the Franklin School in New York, Prince moved on to the U. of Pennsylvania, where he studied English and indulged his theatrical passions with the Penn Players.

After graduation in 1948, he sought and received employment in the office of the legendary Abbott. Prince’s first legit assignment was as assistant stage manager for the musical “Touch and Go” in 1949. He then stage managed the revue “Tickets, Please.” He was drafted into the Army in 1950, serving until 1952 and then returning to work for Abbott as assistant stage manager for “Wonderful Town.”

Prince inspired a couple of fictional counterparts. He was the basis for John Lithgow’s director character in Bob Fosse’s film “All That Jazz,” and he was the basis of a character in Richard Bissell’s novel “Say, Darling,” which recounted Bissell’s experience turning his novel “7½ Cents” into “The Pajama Game.”
In 1974 Prince collected his thoughts about the theater in the book “Contradictions.”

Prince served as president of the National Institute for Musical Theater.

In 2000, he received the National Medal of Arts. In 2006, Prince was presented with a Special Tony Award for lifetime achievement in the theater.

In 2009 Prince was the subject of a documentary called “Mr. Prince” that aired on the Ovation cable network. He had earlier appeared in the documentaries “Broadway: The Golden Age, by the Legends Who Were There” and “Broadway: The American Musical” as well as many others.

After long delays and difficulty in raising the necessary financing, “Prince of Broadway,” a Broadway-bound musical based on Prince’s career, premiered in Japan in 2015. Prince co-directed with Stroman; Jason Robert Brown (“Parade”) wrote the vocal and dance arrangements of songs drawn from Prince’s canon. The show made its Broadway debut on Aug. 3, 2017.

Prince is survived by his wife, the former Judith Chaplin, daughter of Hollywood producer Saul Chaplin; a daughter, director Daisy Prince; and a son, conductor Charles Prince.

--  Richard Natale

Broadway director Harold Prince left an unparalleled legacy of masterworks -- Hal Prince’s Broadway legacy includes Cabaret, Phantom, and an iconic partnership with Sondheim.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 6

D.A. Pennebaker, Master Director of Documentaries, Dies at 94

D.A. Pennebaker, a director and cinematographer known for his documentaries, including the classic “Don’t Look Back” (1967), “Monterey Pop” (1968) and “The War Room” (1993) and “Elaine Stritch at Liberty” (2002), died Thursday night of natural causes, Variety has confirmed. He was 94.

Pennebaker’s many other films included the 1973 David Bowie concert film “Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars,” 1989 Depeche Mode road movie “101” and “Down From the Mountain” (2000), about the musicians who performed the songs in the Coen Brothers’ film “O Brother, Where Art Thou?”

Pennebaker won an honorary Oscar in 2013.

In a 1997 article the U.K.’s the Independent described Pennebaker as arguably the preeminent chronicler of ’60s counterculture.

Pennebaker did not reserve his camera exclusively for the musical arena, however.

He and his wife, Chris Hegedus, with whom he made most of his films in the past several decades, were Oscar nominated in 1994 for best documentary for “The War Room,” a witty, behind-the-scenes look at Bill Clinton’s 1992 presidential campaign.

Pennebaker Hegedus Films -- Collection

They shared a 2004 Emmy nomination for outstanding directing for a variety, music or comedy program for documentary “Elaine Stritch at Liberty.”

Most recently Pennebaker and Hegedus directed the BBC-HBO documentary “Unlocking the Cage,” following animal rights attorney Steven Wise on his quest to break through the legal wall that separates animals from humans. Other recent films include “Al Franken: God Spoke” (2006) and “Kings of Pastry” (2009).

In 1977 the pair turned out the five-hour “Energy War,” about then-President Jimmy Carter’s gas deregulation bill.

Bob Dylan documentary “Don’t Look Back,” which chronicled the musical icon’s 1966 U.K. tour, famously opens with the landmark video for “Subterranean Homesick Blues,” in which a young, scruffy Dylan flips cue cards along to his lyrics while poet Allen Ginsburg chats on the side; this sequence significantly influenced the later development of music videos. Pennebaker would have a place in film history if he’d made only this rock documentary classic, which was selected for inclusion in the Library of Congress’ National Film Registry in 1998 and ranked No. 6 on Time Out magazine’s list of the 50 best documentaries of all time.

“Monterey Pop” offered extraordinary live footage of Janis Joplin, Ravi Shankar and Jimi Hendrix, with the director affectionately capturing the Summer of Love.

Pennebaker was not merely a maker of fine documentaries but part of a team that helped redefine what a documentary was. In the early 1960s he and filmmakers including Richard Leacock and Albert Maysles created the handheld, easily portable camera equipment that allowed for the formation of the cinema verite movement. The revolution was, in the words of a a 1997 article in the U.K.’s the Independent, “as much an ideological as a technological one; the verite films discarded preachy narration in favour of watchful fly- on-the-wall neutrality and championed non-judgmental observation as the purest form of documentation.”

Donn Alan Pennebaker (his friends would call him Penny) was born in Evanston, Illinois; his father was a commercial photographer.

Pennebaker attended MIT in 1944-45 and studied mechanical engineering at Yale, graduating in 1947, and initially worked as an engineer, founding the company Electronics Engineering, which produced the first computerized airline reservation system. During World War II Pennebaker had served as an engineer in the Naval Air Corps.

Ultimately cultivating an interest in filmmaking, Pennebaker first directed the 1953 documentary short “Daybreak Express,” which followed a train around New York City and utilized the Duke Ellington song of the same name.

“I feel in debt to Ellington and instinctively to all musicians,” Pennebaker would later tell Stop Smiling magazine. “They taught me my art. The very nature of film is musical, because it uses time as a basis for its energy. It needs to go from here to there, whereas pictures and paintings are just there. With movies, you’re putting something together that’s not going to be totally comprehensible until the end. It’s the concept of the novel and the sonnet — you need to get to the end, to see if you like it and decide what it’s about. With stills, there’s always the same instant, frozen and beguiling, but lifeless. A single note. With film, the moment doesn’t hold — it rushes by, and you must deal with it like you do music and real life.”

In 1959, Pennebaker, Richard Leacock and former Life magazine editor and correspondent Robert Drew founded Drew Associates. In what represented a key time in the development of Direct Cinema (a documentary genre similar to cinema verite), the collective produced documentaries for clients including ABC News (“Close-up”) and Time-Life Broadcast (syndicated series “Living Camera”). Their first major film was 1960’s “Primary,” which documented the campaigns of candidates John F. Kennedy and Hubert Humphrey in the 1960 Wisconsin Democratic Primary. It was, according to the Drew Associates website, “the first film in which the sync sound camera moved freely with characters throughout a breaking story” — a substantial technical achievement that paved the way for contemporary documentary filmmaking. Drew, Leacock and Pennebaker, as well as photographers Albert Maysles, Terrence McCartney Filgate and Bill Knoll, all shot the campaigning from dawn to midnight over the course of five days. In 1990 “Primary” was selected for inclusion in the Library of Congress’ National Film Registry.

Drew Associates produced nine more documentaries for “Living Camera,” including “Crisis,” which followed President Kennedy and Attorney General Robert Kennedy in their conflict with Alabama Governor George Wallace over school desegregation.

Pennebaker and Leacock left the organization in 1963 to form their own production firm, Leacock-Pennebaker Inc. Pennebaker directed several short films over the next two years. One was a rare recording of jazz vocalist Dave Lambert, who died in a car accident shortly thereafter, leaving Pennebaker’s film as one of the few visual recordings of the singer. The documentary drew attention in Europe, and a few weeks later, Bob Dylan’s manager, Albert Grossman, approached Pennebaker about filming Dylan while he was touring in England. The subsequent film, “Don’t Look Back,” paved the way for the rest of Pennebaker’s career.

Jean-Luc Godard took an interest in Pennebaker’s work and sought to team up with him on a project, but it never quite came to fruition.

Pennebaker was a member of the media panel for the National Endowment for the Arts from 1971–76 and later taught a workshop on documentary films at Yale.

He won a career achievement award from the International Documentary Association in 2005.

Pennebaker was thrice married, the first time to Sylvia Bell from 1950-68, the second time to Kate Taylor, who did sound work on some of Pennebaker’s documentaries in the 1970s, from 1972-80. Both marriages ended in divorce.

He is survived by third wife Chris Hegedus, whom he married in 1982, and eight children: Stacy Pennebaker, Frazer Pennebaker (a producer of many Pennebaker documentaries) and Linley Pennebaker, from Bell; TV director Jojo Pennebaker, Chelsea Pennebaker and Zoe Pennebaker, from Taylor; and camera operator Kit Pennebaker and Jane Pennebaker, from Hegedus.

-- Carmel Dagan 

• Love 8

so, yesterday i got the bsod on my laptop.  then computer restarted but for some reason it took out my wi fi .  then i broke the router.  bob and i went to best buy to get another router and we looked at laptops too just in case i had to buy a new one.  anyway after a very long time my honey got the drivers on my laptop updated and wi fi with new router works again.

lol.  good thing i don't have to buy a new laptop cause i don't have any of my passwords for the different forums i go to written down.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

800.jpeg

Never again?

480x480.jpg

• What happens to the stuff you return to the store … Typically about 8% of items purchased at a store will be returned; for ecommerce sites, that can be as much as 25% to 40%. And all the stuff that stores cannot easily resell will wind up in the secondary market, where one company's trash can become other people's treasure. Rita Braver visits liquidators who process and resell goods that are just as good as new, or even newer.

image_asset_32109.jpg

You'll miss me when I'm gone …

M.I.A,, singer/songwriter

Edited by Cupid Stunt
Pardon my mess.
  • Love 9

so, there is a lady in chemainus here on vancouver island who was out jogging on one of the trails around duncan.  she was with her dog.  she then said she noticed there was a cougar stalking her and she recorded on her phone to show the cat.  anyway, she decided to play a song on her playlist to try and scare it.  she played a song by metallica called "don't tread on me" and it worked.  she said the song saved her life.  apparently her video of it went viral as well as the story being picked up on several news networks including cnn and fox news.  it reached the lead singer of metallica and a spokes person reached out to her to ask if she could give contact info to the singer and she said ok.  so , she got a phone call from the singer who  said he was happy they could save her life.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, OhioSongbird said:

What is going on?  Gilroy, El Paso, now Dayton, my home town.  I know the Oregon District well.  Great clubs, cool shops and a friendly vibe.  

I am beyond sad.   

It's awful, and worse for you and yours, happening, literally, in your own backyard.  

The world is stunning these days, and not in a good way.

Stay safe.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, bannana said:

There is so much depressing news out there.  This made me feel a bit better.

I should have mentioned that Silken Laumann, who posted this, is an Olympian.  With a somewhat tragic story, but then she turned that around. 

She was seriously injured by another boat before the Olympics in practice.  In spite of that she went on to win a medal.  And later, more Olympic medals.

Silken Laumann

And now, she gets to see whales off her dock.  🐋

• Love 11
17 hours ago, bannana said:

There is so much depressing news out there.  This made me feel a bit better.

Close encounters with whales is a glorious experience. Mr.Stunt and I took a fishing trip on the Sea of Cortez with friends that live in Santa Rosalia, and spent most of our time whale watching instead of fishing. It never gets old.

15 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

so, there is a lady in chemainus here on vancouver island who was out jogging on one of the trails around duncan.  she was with her dog.  she then said she noticed there was a cougar stalking her and she recorded on her phone to show the cat.  anyway, she decided to play a song on her playlist to try and scare it.  she played a song by metallica called "don't tread on me" and it worked.  she said the song saved her life.  apparently her video of it went viral as well as the story being picked up on several news networks including cnn and fox news.  it reached the lead singer of metallica and a spokes person reached out to her to ask if she could give contact info to the singer and she said ok.  so , she got a phone call from the singer who  said he was happy they could save her life.

A hiker in Canada was approached by a cougar. She blasted Metallica to scare it off

Yeah, hissing and 'bad kitty' doesn't spook house cats, much less cougars. Carry bear spray, honey.

Between James Hetfield's hollowing white angst, Lars Ulrich skin pounding and the rest of the band clashing along, it's no wonder the cougar made tracks.

14 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

What is going on?  Gilroy, El Paso, now Dayton, my home town.  I know the Oregon District well.  Great clubs, cool shops and a friendly vibe.  

I am beyond sad. 

12 hours ago, boes said:

It's awful, and worse for you and yours, happening, literally, in your own backyard.  

The world is stunning these days, and not in a good way.

Stay safe.

There have been 255 mass shootings (four or more victims constitute a mass shooting, delineated by the FBI), with 275 people killed, 1,063 injured in the U.S. for 2019. These numbers come from the Gun Violence Archive -- 6am Eastern Time 8/5/2019.

Many people are being given permission to strike against real or imagined enemies from the powers that be, and are inspired to act on their 'plan' because of these mass shootings. Often enough these same bad actors cue peers, coworkers, and family about their violent intentions, yet no one contacts the police. 

What can the individual do?

• Donate blood in your location, because there's gun violence every day, everywhere.
  • If you suspect someone is spinning out of control, act on your instincts and tell the authorities. The life you save may be your own.
  • Donate to the Red Cross, they are often one of the first responders for the victims and their families.
  • Many victims have little or no insurance, or there are no provisions for burial. If possible, confirm the legitimacy of donations going to the appropriate use for hospital expenses or funeral.
  • Contact your state and federal representatives to vote for universal background checks for gun purchases. And don't stop.
  • Work with like-minded people that have had enough of gun violence -- 

Moms Demand Action

Brady Campaign

The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence

Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

March For Our Lives Campaign -- Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, Parkland, Florida, Student Advocates

• Persevere against gun violence and call it by its name. Pray for strength with every step forward, because gun worship will do everything in its power to stop your progress.
  • Love 8

shootingtracker_share01.0.jpg

800.jpeg

<heavy sigh>

Yusuf Islam, AKA Cat Stevens, singer/songwriter 

• Love 7

I don't text or Facebook even though I can.  Does that make me an odd Songbird?  Probably.  My problem with Facebook is I don't need to know what your cousin's daughter had for lunch.  Too much of that fluff for me.  

Now get off my lawn!  😉  

Edited by OhioSongbird
  • LOL 6
  • Love 5

I don't text either since I have a flip phone but I do enjoy the Facebook. Most of my friends and family live far away from me so I don't mind seeing what my cousin's daughter had for lunch. I do stay away from all political posts since most of my family are Republicans. My mom always wondered how she raised a Democrat. 😁

• LOL 6
  • Love 5

I should rephrase that Facebook comment.  My family members I have no problem with, I will open those but I don't post.  It's people I don't/barely know.  Family, I use email.  I don't want 50/11 million (my friend's phrase) people knowing my bidness.

Call me a Luddite.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
29 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

I should rephrase that Facebook comment.  My family members I have no problem with, I will open those but I don't post.  It's people I don't/barely know.  Family, I use email.  I don't want 50/11 million (my friend's phrase) people knowing my bidness.

Call me a Luddite.

Nope, you just have common sense. Using any form of social media smartly really does mean knowing the endless reach of anything you post. I read Twitter when I'm procrastinating from paper work--never tweet; Facebook the same, but it's too much of a time-eater and I just don't care enough about some relative's Bernese or whatever.

Texting for me is for daughter and very close friends only. Email mainly for college business, with a second one for online billing and so on.

• Love 11
  • Guns are the problem -- America doesn’t have a monopoly on hate, angry young men, gamers or mental illness. What it has is a lot of guns.

hubble-colorization-745x419.jpg.optimal.

Hubble colorization of the Horsehead Nebula

• They’re Mad as Hell -- Among older women, anger is trending. In the time of #MeToo, their indignation is long overdue. -- I don't know who they've been talking to, but I've been pissed off since I was told "Girl's aren't allowed in Shop class."

EGirl_2.0.jpg

• E-girls and e-boys, explained -- The irony-laced aesthetic that exists mostly in the privacy of one’s own bedroom is the future of subculture. -- Welcome To My TV Show!

Frank Zappa, singer/songwriter

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
47 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Call me a Luddite.

13 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Nope, you just have common sense. Using any form of social media smartly really does mean knowing the endless reach of anything you post. I read Twitter when I'm procrastinating from paper work--never tweet; Facebook the same, but it's too much of a time-eater and I just don't care enough about some relative's Bernese or whatever.

Texting for me is for daughter and very close friends only. Email mainly for college business, with a second one for online billing and so on.

You're being smart and proactive.

I had all the FREE social media aps removed from my new phone before startup; don't need them, don't use them, don't want to be distracted by them, don't want them tracking and compiling information on me and mine. The only aps that consume my phone battery time is CALFire, National Weather Service, CALTraffic, Earthquake.usgs.gov, home/work email.

• Love 9

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

17084756398_05d61b6a07_z.jpg

1165793744.jpg.0.jpg

Joe Strummer and Mick Jones, Singer/ Songwriters of The Clash 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Cupid Stunt said:
  •  

This is so timely for me.  My niece and nephew own a brewery in another province.  They were visiting with their kids and they wanted to check out  some of the many breweries we have here.  I had to investigate whether kids were allowed.  What I learned is that they are allowed up until a certain time.  Or if the brewery has a proper restaurant then I believe they are just welcome as long as the kitchen is open.

So we did visit a number of breweries mostly in the late afternoon or early evening.  I observed that the breweries had toys and games for  kids!  Some of the more popular ones also welcome dogs so you have adults, kids and dogs which creates a lot of chaos.  A number of them had outdoor patio and play areas for kids, and these were very popular with young families.  

I don't mind that kids are allowed but I am not sure I would choose to go to a brewery that had a ton of kids running around.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, bannana said:

I don't mind that kids are allowed but I am not sure I would choose to go to a brewery that had a ton of kids running around.

Exactly. That's what the hungover Sunday Brunch Food Fight is for.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

I feel like the conversation at some breweries and bars are bit rated r and they are too noisy. The steakhouse I serve at seldom has kids or babies but I think the high price point drives it a lot away. It’s not unusual for a table of 2 to spend $160 and if they’re on a date or discussing some asshole they’re suing in Victor Newman tones and verbage they don’t want to be around children.  That said the kids meals are a steal (burgers w cheese or not /ribs/chicken plus a huge serving of fries, ice cream sundae, and beverage) and the kids I’ve served were delights. 

Im actually liking serving I think the only hindrance to me now is when it’s a group the giant oval trays to bring all beverages or entrees at once. Also our host doesn’t follow sections or rotate so it’s not unusual to have 3 tables and one in a dining room one on the patio and one in another room, it’s more intelligent to have one section and for host to pace them. Another thing is since it’s mostly CC tips mine are on paycheck not walking away each night w money. 

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

CC tips mine are on paycheck not walking away each night w money. 

Aww, I always try to leave a tip in cash but I think most people nowadays don't even carry much cash at all.

• Love 10

19475858.jpg

Machete!

Rape Culture gets a little smaller, weirder, sadder:

J.J. Cale, singer/songwriter

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I feel like the conversation at some breweries and bars are bit rated r and they are too noisy. 

It may not be much different than what's happening at home for some kids.

Mr.Stunt and I took the Things to restaurants that had bars, but no baby carrier at the bar, as described by the article. It's less work to take care of young children when you're sober, and you're more present for them when they reach the end of their patience dealing with the world.

The steakhouse I serve at seldom has kids or babies but I think the high price point drives it a lot away. It’s not unusual for a table of 2 to spend $160 and if they’re on a date or discussing some asshole they’re suing in Victor Newman tones and verbage they don’t want to be around children.  That said the kids meals are a steal (burgers w cheese or not /ribs/chicken plus a huge serving of fries, ice cream sundae, and beverage) and the kids I’ve served were delights. 

It sounds like a very nice place. How's the food? I know the service is excellent.

; )

Im actually liking serving I think the only hindrance to me now is when it’s a group the giant oval trays to bring all beverages or entrees at once. Also our host doesn’t follow sections or rotate so it’s not unusual to have 3 tables and one in a dining room one on the patio and one in another room, it’s more intelligent to have one section and for host to pace them. Another thing is since it’s mostly CC tips mine are on paycheck not walking away each night w money. 

That seems to be a very inefficient way to distribute tables in the dining room, but perhaps there's a method to the madness of the host … Perhaps not.

Like AngelKitty, I personally tip the server cash and write a tip on the check. There's no way for me to know if tips are being stolen or over-taxes, but I can make sure the server pockets some cash, just in case. I did my time waiting tables and bartending. It's about managing chaos, the tips, and time to put up your feet.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

And no one should forget.  Ever.

I've been busy with work and have been too tired and not able to come here for awhile.  I finally had a chance to catch up and just want to tell you that as I'm reading these news posts of yours, I thoroughly enjoy them and didn't realize until now how much I missed them!  Thank you for taking time to do this.

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Love 11

I was car jacked a few hours ago. I’m fine. George is fine (he was in the car) and I still have my car I’m still w the police the guy got away. I am waiting for them to bring him for a “show up” to identify him. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, AngelKitty said:

Oh, Petunia, what a terrible thing to have to go through. I'm so sorry. I hope they get the guy.

It took hours but they caught him and I just ID him for police. 

• Love 15

GRLSWIRL!

sky-brown-skateboarder-a-promo.jpg

8O7A8053.jpg?format=1000w

And the rest:

lead_720_405.jpg?mod=1565192530

Neo-Nazis burning a swastika following a white supremacist rally in the city of Newnan, Georgia, April 2018 -- Getty Image.

***Food Safety Notice and Other Health-Related Stuff***

hepatitus-a-today-main-190808_2d0a4b8dd7

Joan Armatrading, singer/songwriter

"I'm not in love, but I'm open to persuasion … " -- Exquisite 

• Love 8

Petunia13, echoing everyone else in being very glad that you're both physically okay.  Let us know how you are, things like this are terrifying in so many ways.

• Love 13
On 7/19/2019 at 8:12 AM, pearlite said:

Oh, who could miss snow?

I can see your point about people who don't have to live with it. Whenever I see those shots of actors at Sundance wearing the cute little booties and amusing winter jackets, I find it risible.

Snow is the enemy. I do not play in, or with it. We the North, my ass.

Part of the thing with Toronto and Winnipeg is how much Winnipegers [sp?] loathe Toronto. Several times, coming back east with a planeload of folks from the prairies, they've boo'd when the pilot announced that we were landing in TO.

I'm late to this party, but I'm suddenly reminded of how my nephew (one of the two native San Diegans in this county lol) was confused about why his mother (a New Yorker) could hate snow so much that she put her foot down on taking a ski trip to Big Bear. I suppose I'd hate it too if I had to walk a half hour to and from school in the winter for 13 years in Brooklyn too 🤣

And being a native CA girl, I can tell you my people (at least those outside of the woodlands and Lake Tahoe) are absolute morons. I met a few Navy SoCal folks who refused to purchase jackets for a ship commissioning take took place back during that insanely cold winter of 2013-14 in Philadelphia. Boy, they all looked stupid when we pulled up in port and had to later up both sweatshirts they owned under the wool peacoat 😅

I can't laugh too hard, because I touched the fresh snow with no glove like a moron. That....was a bad idea. 👀

• LOL 5
  • Love 6

I have no idea what he planned for me if I had drove to where he wanted. I stopped off at an all night gas station where there’s usually other people. And said I needed to pee. I got out of the car w him and mouthed “I need help call 911” to a man near and he said he wouldn’t help me and didn’t care. Another man in a night security guard uniform pulled up and I told him I was being car jacked and the guy told him I’m lying and his girlfriend. The ladies inside the station were already on the phone w 911. The security guard was separating me from the man and he ran off.

When he got into the car he was restraining my arms and hands and I have 2 cuts and when I was driving he was stroking my face.  The whole time George was in my lap and thank god he wasn’t harmed and didn’t panic. I worked today but when I think about it I’m sick and shaky. Apparently car jackings aren’t uncommon in Chicago and the burbs. I’m not sure what this guys intention was though cuz he really wanted me to drive him somewhere and never said the address. I wanted to humanize myself to him so told him I work a lot 2 jobs struggling and I have heart aneurysm which is true. He said he’s never known anyone who’s died. 

I had to wait hours doing the reports and while the witnesses wrote reports. They had camera footage of him and caught him in a long chase on foot and I had to identify him. Then I changed and walked George and went to work. It really is that easy and random for someone to grab you. 

• Love 1