Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

I'm happy no one was hurt. Broken stuff can be replaced. The insurance adjuster just left and the glazier is writing up a quote for the windows.

We turned off the gas when we left, and still haven't turned it back on until we have the lines sniffed (gas company trucks are in the neighborhood).

15 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Speaking of Nick Cave, one of my favorite scenes in the Harry Potter films was in TDH1, when Hermoine and Harry danced to O Children.

Oops, sorry I disappeared on y'all, my son dropped by.

Onion Dip

Equal parts cream cheese/sour cream

Finely chopped sweet onion 

Chopped green onion

Chives if you have them

Two heaping teaspoons celery seed

Teaspoon minced garlic

Tablespoon parsley

Salt and pepper to taste

Now, I never really had this recipe written down, I made it the first time from memory and I adjust it it every time I make it. You may add more or less of any of the ingredients as you wish but the celery seed is a must. I usually serve it with Ruffles because it is so thick. OhioSongbird, I believe, serves it with Ritz among other things.

Nick Cave is a gift.

I have to pick up ripple chips, and then the gluttony can begin!

13 minutes ago, boes said:

What a fabulous shot!  Those eyes!!

Beeeuuutiful!

Thing1 took the photo. Melvin is actually her cat, but he refuses to live with her. 

All my pictures of Melvin are of his retreating ass.

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
19 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Onion Dip

Chopped green onion

Chives if you have them

Teaspoon minced garlic

Tablespoon parsley

Salt and pepper to taste

Now, I never really had this recipe written down, I made it the first time from memory and I adjust it it every time I make it. You may add more or less of any of the ingredients as you wish but the celery seed is a must. I usually serve it with Ruffles because it is so thick. OhioSongbird, I believe, serves it with Ritz among other things.

Do you sauté the sweet onion?

Cream cheese--as in Philadelphia?

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Do you sauté the sweet onion?

Cream cheese--as in Philadelphia?

Nope, fresh onion is best. I use store brand whipped cream cheese. If I'm feeling rich, I'll use Philadelphia brand whipped cream cheese with chives.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

I've kind of played around with it....minced fresh garlic and onion are essential and celery seed is a must.  I use dried chives instead of fresh since I always have those on hand.  A dash of Worchestire sauce and a little olive juice to thin.  Dried parsley and/or celery flakes if I have them on hand.

Damn fine dip.  Wherever you got the recipe peaches, it's a keeper.  My family wants it for T-Day every year.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

I've kind of played around with it....minced fresh garlic and onion are essential and celery seed is a must.  I use dried chives instead of fresh since I always have those on hand.  A dash of Worchestire sauce and a little olive juice to thin.  Dried parsley and/or celery flakes if I have them on hand.

Damn fine dip.  Wherever you got the recipe peaches, it's a keeper.  My family wants it for T-Day every year.

I use dried minced garlic and dried parsley as well. I only use fresh chives when I have them in my garden.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, jpagan05 said:

I completely agree. They are also susceptible to infectious diseases contracted from other cats such as FIP, FIV, FeLV, URIs. And we have a lot of lovely people here who think it's fun to injure or kill cats. 

@peacheslatour I can't believe you witnessed a dognapping! What kind of evil asshole would do something like that?

Can I please have the dip recipe too?

On a brighter note, here is some cat levity and pics of Kemosabe's belly😻

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/cats_actually_kill

belly.jpeg.b4f1eae0cabd3b430373aab6500d4cbe.jpegbelly2.jpeg.262373f955cce282c9f74d1c9ea2047d.jpeg

Kemosabe is glorious!!!

• Love 9
16 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Yes, it was Josh, but I don’t think they were like Luke and Laura - Josh never raped Reva, as far as I can remember. She was something like our Sharon in that she went through the male members of the Lewis family (Josh, Josh’s dad HB, and his brother Billy) while Josh was always her true love.

The wonderful Michelle Forbes was on GL for a while also. She played Sonni/Solita, who was paired with Josh while Reva was off the show (IIRC).

Yikes!    I had no idea that Luke raped Laura!    I never watched that soap......just always heard about Luke and Laura all the time.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
(edited)
21 hours ago, bannana said:

I love Patti Smith for so many reasons, but lately it is because she has completely embraced her age and who she is at this age.  

But here is one of fave performances.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Patty+Smyth+Because+the+Night+Hall+of+Fame&&view=detail&mid=4AF8602F2888DBD703164AF8602F2888DBD70316&&FORM=VRDGAR

Braggy story of my most star-studded day evah: Hubs and I were visiting some friends in London. We saw Patti perform a spoken word show at a church. I ran to the bathroom right before the show and almost plowed into her in the hallway as she was about to walk into the church. We made direct eye contact and smiled. I could feel my heart in my throat. The show was amazing. Her mom had recently passed so she cried when she spoke of her and threw in a few of her songs.

David Gray was sitting behind us. I'm not a fan but he has good taste.

Later that evening our pal surprised us with tix to a nightclub. While waiting in line I chuckled cos I heard "The Breaks" by Kurtis Blow and said, "I love this song. I can't believe they are playing it" and our friend says, "that's actually Kurtis Blow. He's DJing tonight." That was a five-star day.

Thanks for the recipe @peacheslatour.

Is it weird that I don't like onions but I love onion dip?

Edited by jpagan05
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11

I have my own Patti Smith story. Not as cool as jpagan's but here goes. We saw her at the Paramount in Seattle in the very late seventies. She was stupendous, as always and she did a version of Debbie Boone's You Light Up my Life that blew us out of our seats! After, we all went to The Cloud Room at the Camlin Hotel which was across the street. There, she was holding court to a rapt crowd. I don't remember what she said because I was too dazzled but it was a great night.

• Love 11

João Gilberto, Master Of Bossa Nova, Dies At 88

João Gilberto, one of the principal architects of the Brazilian musical style bossa nova, has died at his home in Rio de Janeiro, according to a Facebook post by his son. João Marcelo Gilberto wrote that his father, who was 88 years old, died following an undisclosed illness.

João Gilberto is credited by some with writing the first bossa nova, or new beat. This mid-20th century musical gift to the world drew on Brazil's African-influenced samba tradition, but was performed without the usual battery of drums and rhythm instruments, and at much lower volumes. Gilberto's intimate and nuanced style of guitar playing and singing, eventually central to the bossa nova sound, were reportedly developed in 1955 when he sequestered himself inside of a bathroom at his sister's house so as not to disturb her family and to take advantage of the acoustics provided by the bathroom tiles.

In the mid-1950s, Brazil was in the midst of a post-WWII modernization inspired by a new president who wished to move the country out of third world economic status. Gilberto's "Bim-Bom," often named as the first bossa nova song, came from that period, and soon thereafter, the style began to sweep Rio's cafe's and bars. Bossa nova's sophisticated sound became popular with a new moneyed class eager to move away from the more traditional samba sound of explosive drums and group singing. Rio de Janeiro was ground zero of the country's cultural explosion; Gilberto, composer Antonio Carlos Jobim and poet Vinicius de Moraes were the key architects of a culture shift that forever changed their country's musical point of reference.

The breakthrough came just before the end of the decade. In 1958 Jobim and de Moraes had collaborated on a recording of the song "Chege de Saudade" by another vocalist, but the song didn't become a phenomenon until Gilberto's version, with his softly percussive finger picking technique on an acoustic guitar and breathy vocals that matched the soft curves of the music. Gilberto's version became a hit in Rio and internationally, and launched the bossa nova movement.

Brazilian born pianist Jovino Santos Neto described the influence Gilberto's technique had on the music of that era as profound. "His uncanny ability to syncopate his vocal delivery, while keeping a simple groove was his trademark sound," Neto wrote to NPR from his home in California. "Several others tried to imitate him, with no success."

Over three years Gilberto recorded three albums that were the blueprints for a musical revolution: Chega de Saudade (Odeon, 1959), O Amor, o Sorriso e a Flor (Odeon, 1960), and João Gilberto (Odeon, 1961).

In 1961 the U.S. State Department had organized one of its goodwill musical ambassador tours to Rio and jazz guitarist Charlie Byrd caught some of the music and took the style back home, where he shared it with jazz saxophonist Stan Getz. Their 1962 album Jazz Samba was an immediate success in the US. The next year, Getz invited Gilberto to record together. The resulting album, Getz/Gilberto, featured compositions by the Jobim/de Moraes writing team, many of which became jazz standards over the decades, including "Corcovado," "Desafinado" and "Doralice."

The album's breakout hit featured Gilberto's then-wife Astrud on a sultry vocal of the song "Garota de Ipanema (Girl From Ipanema)." João sang the lyrics in Portuguese, Astrud repeated them in English and Getz added an now-iconic tenor sax solo. It was a worldwide hit and won the 1965 Grammy for record of the year. Getz/Gilberto won album of the year and would go on to become one of the highest-selling jazz albums of all time, helping to cement bossa nova's soft, lulling beats and intimate vocals across the global musical landscape.

In the mid-1960s, less than a decade after the movement started, the music was pretty much silenced by a military dictatorship that clamped down an all outside political and cultural influences. Gilberto, who had moved to the United States after recording Getz/Gilberto, remained until 1980. Upon his return to Brazil he was heralded for his contributions and recorded with many of the younger musicians who had been part of the Tropicalia movement that incorporated rock and psychedelia into the subversive music aimed at the dictatorship.

Pianist Jovino Santos Neto says that Gilberto's restless musical spirit was reflected in the music he made upon his return: "When people started to think that he was a bossa nova singer of Brazilian tunes, he challenged their assumptions by applying his style to boleros, Italian songs, Gershwin and later to the pop music of Brazil."

Gilberto continued to perform well into the 21st century and has been recognized by every generation since his debut as a Brazilian musical pioneer. Well known to be a recluse, he spent the last years of his life alone in his apartment in Rio, trying to sort out various legal problems that had accumulated over the course of his storied career, while still holding a place of highest honor in his country's cultural legacy.

Gilberto first married the singer Astrud, with whom he collaborated on the hit recording of "The Girl from Ipanema"; the couple had a son. They divorced, and he later married the singer Miúcha; they had a daughter, Bebel Gilberto, who is also a singer. They later separated. Gilberto also had a daughter with Claudia Faissol, a journalist.

• Love 6
(edited)

tokashiki_F06_main_01-thumb-900x270-1137

Make way for the Rape Culture Conga Line!

That was unseemly. On to other subjects …

• How your brain invents morality -- Neurophilosopher Patricia Churchland explains her theory of how we evolved a conscience ... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH … And how easily that evolution is circumvented?

Bob Dylan, singer/songwriter

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 5
47 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Neurophilosopher Patricia Churchland explains her theory of how we evolved a conscience ... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH …

or MMMWWWAHAHAH. I'm writing a sci-fi novel that has genetic manipulation to enhance psychic abilities but I didn't think of doing it to manipulate conscience which sounds evil. MMMWWWAHAHAH...

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

Right--used fresh chives [got them out front], and parsley [also mine]. And I have good, greasy kettle chips on hand--the only kind of potato chips for me.

Between the dip and the chips, my coat should gleam like a mink.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3

i want to comment on the "shoe / feet" posts at getting to genoa you.

i also have high arches and arched toes...i cannot wear mules or thongs cause i walk right out of them.  i need a closed heel...i used to go barefoot alot in the summer but now i wear slippers in the house and "runners" when i go out doors.

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

i also have high arches and arched toes...i cannot wear mules or thongs cause i walk right out of them.  i need a closed heel...i used to go barefoot alot in the summer but now i wear slippers in the house and "runners" when i go out doors.

Were you like me as a kid? As soon as school got out, the shoes came off not to be seen again until it started again in the fall.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
22 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Were you like me as a kid? As soon as school got out, the shoes came off not to be seen again until it started again in the fall.

yes...

and then when i worked in offices / dealerships i wore stiletto heeled shoes and boots.  now it's runners and slippers... 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

yes...

and then when i worked in offices / dealerships i wore stiletto heeled shoes and boots.  now it's runners and slippers... 

Same here until I got pregnant with my son, after that I said the hell with it and started wearing Japanese T strap canvas flats or low heeled boots.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

peaches.....you're a hillbilly!  Welcome to the fold my sister....

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

Thanks for moving this discussion here. When I posted before I thought I was on small talk. I've had bad feet all my life. When I was a toddler I had to wear corrective shoes with a bar that connected them so my feet wouldn't turn. And I know when I was 4-5, I walked around on my tippytoes. All the kids called me Miss Priss. I always wore shoes, though. My mom never let me go barefoot. Not even when we moved to Florida. "You'll get ringworm!"

• Love 9
(edited)
  • How Facebook Fought Fake News About Facebook -- Polling data and secretive projects – ‘Stormchaser’ and ‘Night’s Watch’ – helped the social media giant track public sentiment, and respond to it. This Bloomberg report found that starting in 2016, Facebook developed and deployed two internal tools, dubbed Stormchaser and Night’s Watch, to track and combat misinformation about the company and its CEO Mark Zuckerberg. The tools also measured shifting public sentiment toward Facebook and its leaders. Facebook was devoting its resources to managing its own reputation at a time when fake news and political manipulation were propagating on its platform. Facebook told Bloomberg it’s stopped using its Stormchaser tool, but the technology still exists. Yay!

GettyImages_515664079.0.jpg

155545524450311813_812x.jpg?v=1555455325

Ray LaMontagne, singer/songwriter

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 5

@peacheslatour JUST mentioned this issue of pet theft 

its a big problem. I think some take for resale, some for breeding, some for dog fights or bait, crush videos, and some for dog/cat meat trade. I know someone, a hair stylist at a top salon in Chicago whose dog was stolen. And I’ve gotten some really sketch vibes from a guy who followed me and George a few x approached and asked questions, then another time drove up and took pics of him then zoomed off. 

• Love 1
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

@peacheslatour JUST mentioned this issue of pet theft 

its a big problem. I think some take for resale, some for breeding, some for dog fights or bait, crush videos, and some for dog/cat meat trade. I know someone, a hair stylist at a top salon in Chicago whose dog was stolen. And I’ve gotten some really sketch vibes from a guy who followed me and George a few x approached and asked questions, then another time drove up and took pics of him then zoomed off. 

If you didn't do it at the time, if you ever see him again get his licence number and a description while it's fresh in your mind. If I had any inkling that that asshole was going to steal my neighbor;s dog I wish to god I'd paid more attention at the time. As it was I was unable to help. It made me feel terrible. Nothing can happen to our George!

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Whelp, I missed Show today because I was at the dermatologists getting the glass pulled out of my foot. Yay! And thanks basiltherat for the tough love!

did he have to cut it out?  hopefully it's not too painful walking on it.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

did he have to cut it out?  hopefully it's not too painful walking on it.

Yep. The put about ten shots of some kind of numbing agent and then they started to dig. I tried not to look but I did see a razor blade, scissors and tweezers being flashed around. Bleh.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Yep. The put about ten shots of some kind of numbing agent and then they started to dig. I tried not to look but I did see a razor blade, scissors and tweezers being flashed around. Bleh.

OMG, I'm so sorry it was that bad, but so glad you got it taken care of so fast.  Memories like that, you do NOT need!

Feel better.

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, boes said:

OMG, I'm so sorry it was that bad, but so glad you got it taken care of so fast.  Memories like that, you do NOT need!

Feel better.

Thanks Sweetie. I didn't feel a thing. I just sort of watched in a detached way, like it was happening to someone else. Might have been the Xanax I popped before heading over there. 🌈

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

they started to dig. I tried not to look but I did see a razor blade, scissors and tweezers being flashed around

Well, I'm glad you went to the doctor. It sounds like it was more than just a splinter. 😢

• Love 8
1 minute ago, AngelKitty said:

Well, I'm glad you went to the doctor. It sounds like it was more than just a splinter. 😢

Actuall it was just a splinter. That's why they had to dig around to find it. But it was starting to hurt more every day and basiltherat started talking infection and amputation and I ran straight to my dermatologist. Why the dermatologist you might ask? Because he never bothers taking my blood pressure. And he did my skin cancer biopsy a few years ago so I knew they had the stuff and the skill to do a little surgery.

• Love 12

Ooofaa, if you were telling squeamish me this story in person, I would be cupping my ears and saying "LALALALALALA".  So I read it with my fingers over my eyes.🙈  Feel better soon, peaches!

Get well!.jpg

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:29 AM, peacheslatour said:

Nope, fresh onion is best. I use store brand whipped cream cheese. If I'm feeling rich, I'll use Philadelphia brand whipped cream cheese with chives.

Okay, I am now inspired to make the dip and got Philly with chives cream cheese (which I didn't even know existed).  Taking it to a party tomorrow, and will report back afterwards!

• Love 11

Squee-Worthy Animals! -- Adorable moment toddler daughter of Cleveland Browns NFL player Jarvis Landry befriends a baby deer.

Rape Culture Don't Know Nuthin' -- 

Just another day …

21039130393_12a1fdbe41_o.0.jpg

Amos Lee, singer/songwriter

• Love 10

I'm back!!

Well technically I got  back yesterday around 5:30 PM, but I spent hours unpacking, doing laundry, etc. Today I picked up Steve who was a good boy and ate while in boarding. 

Italy was gorgeous! All the food tastes better there than here. 

And I became an Aunt on the 9th of July. 

I'm also super behind on show, but trying to catch up. 

How has everyone else been?

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I'm back!!

Well technically I got  back yesterday around 5:30 PM, but I spent hours unpacking, doing laundry, etc. Today I picked up Steve who was a good boy and ate while in boarding. 

Yay! So glad you're back. How was your flight? Uneventful, I hope. I bet Steve was thrilled to see you.

All the food tastes better there than here. 

I noticed that when we were in France, especially when you get out of the city. What kind of dishes did you get to eat?

• Love 9
43 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Yay! So glad you're back. How was your flight? Uneventful, I hope. I bet Steve was thrilled to see you.

I noticed that when we were in France, especially when you get out of the city. What kind of dishes did you get to eat?

Going there we had some turbulence, enough so that they had to suspend the hot drink portion of the flight. My cousin maintains it was mild but she's ridiculous. We also had a delay leaving Montreal because we had to wait for another plane to arrive and 56 people on it to get on our plane. 

Coming back there was no turbulence but a delay of 40 minutes leaving. 

Well, there wasn't a place in Italy to get a bad cappuccino. Tomatoes, steak, veggies, it's all so much tastier and sweeter than here. 

I had pizza twice, once in Formicola and once in Naples, both amazing. Our great uncle made us penne with cherry tomatoes and it was divine. We also had steak there, and I don't like steak but I ate the whole thing it was so good, and it was like the size of my plate, lol. 

In Modena we ate a lot at my cousin's place. She and her husband are very good cooks. The first night we had a dish where they took a tortilla, warmed it on the stove, then spread on a soft cheese, prosciutto, and arugula or radicchio on it (dressed in olive oil and balsamic vinegar.) They made us penne with cooked radicchio and zucchini another day with some olive oil. Another day we had spaghetti with clams in an olive oil sauce. We had a mushroom risotto which was really good and my first time trying a risotto. And another day we had a linguine with a spicy tomato sauce with pancetta, onions, and arugula. 

And in Venice I had a wonderful spaghetti with scallops in a white wine and butter sauce and homemade tiramisu with a glass of prosecco.. I'm now a huge fan of prosecco, lol.

Breakfasts were always some sort of pastry, usually a croissant filled with custards or Nutella and a cappuccino. It was amazing! Although at the end I was really craving a bagel with cream cheese, lol. 

I'm going to miss the food, lol. 

• Love 15
20 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Going there we had some turbulence, enough so that they had to suspend the hot drink portion of the flight. My cousin maintains it was mild but she's ridiculous. We also had a delay leaving Montreal because we had to wait for another plane to arrive and 56 people on it to get on our plane. 

Coming back there was no turbulence but a delay of 40 minutes leaving. 

Well, there wasn't a place in Italy to get a bad cappuccino. Tomatoes, steak, veggies, it's all so much tastier and sweeter than here. 

I had pizza twice, once in Formicola and once in Naples, both amazing. Our great uncle made us penne with cherry tomatoes and it was divine. We also had steak there, and I don't like steak but I ate the whole thing it was so good, and it was like the size of my plate, lol. 

In Modena we ate a lot at my cousin's place. She and her husband are very good cooks. The first night we had a dish where they took a tortilla, warmed it on the stove, then spread on a soft cheese, prosciutto, and arugula or radicchio on it (dressed in olive oil and balsamic vinegar.) They made us penne with cooked radicchio and zucchini another day with some olive oil. Another day we had spaghetti with clams in an olive oil sauce. We had a mushroom risotto which was really good and my first time trying a risotto. And another day we had a linguine with a spicy tomato sauce with pancetta, onions, and arugula. 

And in Venice I had a wonderful spaghetti with scallops in a white wine and butter sauce and homemade tiramisu with a glass of prosecco.. I'm now a huge fan of prosecco, lol.

Breakfasts were always some sort of pastry, usually a croissant filled with custards or Nutella and a cappuccino. It was amazing! Although at the end I was really craving a bagel with cream cheese, lol. 

I'm going to miss the food, lol. 

OMG, I'm drooling.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
(edited)

Sounds like you had a delicious trip, Jewel21!  And having your family to cook such excellent and authentic food, what a treat!

I'm so glad Steve did well, I bet he was almost as thrilled to see you as you were to see him.

Edited by boes
  • Love 12
On 7/8/2019 at 10:52 AM, peacheslatour said:

Speaking of Nick Cave, one of my favorite scenes in the Harry Potter films was in TDH1, when Hermoine and Harry danced to O Children.

Oops, sorry I disappeared on y'all, my son dropped by.

Onion Dip

Chopped green onion

Chives if you have them

Teaspoon minced garlic

Tablespoon parsley

Salt and pepper to taste

On 7/8/2019 at 2:51 PM, OhioSongbird said:

Thank you! I took a photo of the related posts for tips! Thanks everyone. 

Going back upthread to talk no shoes....

• Love 8
3 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I'm back!!

YAY 🙌🏼 So happy you had a wonderful trip and your handsome feather son had a nice staycation! 

• Love 11

@jewel21 welcome back!!! 😍 I am so happy you loved Italy.  🍕 And all of the fabulous food and drink.  I did love dining in Italy.  Also Austria.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:50 PM, bannana said:

Okay, I am now inspired to make the dip and got Philly with chives cream cheese (which I didn't even know existed).  Taking it to a party tomorrow, and will report back afterwards!

So I made @peacheslatour's onion dip last night.  I used sweet onion and green onion, and fresh garlic and everything else in the recipe posted.  I used the cream cheese with chives.  I used fresh parsley.  I added a bit of olive juice.  When I tasted it last night I thought it was nothing special.  Then I tasted it today and it was fabulous! The flavours had to meld.  

So I took it to a party.  Friends of ours were hosting other friends of ours who had their family visiting from Ireland and England.  There was a ton of food (my friend is a chef), but the onion dip got eaten up so quickly and everyone raved and wanted to know who made it, and they wanted the recipe.  So the onion dip is now headed across the pond to please many more people! ✈️🙂

• Useful 1
  • Love 10