Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

(edited)

?m=02&d=20190621&t=2&i=1400221236&w=780&

French Air Force Patrouille de France team performs at the 53rd International Paris Air Show at Le Bourget Airport near Paris, France. REUTERS/Pascal Rossignol

• Black mothers turn from grieving to governing -- Gun violence in the U.S. results in tens of thousands of deaths every year. So far this year more than 6,800 people have died in shooting incidents. According to Gun Violence Archives that includes at least 28 since yesterday. A group of African-American mothers who have lost a child to gun violence or alleged police brutality want to go from grieving to governing to make a change.

IMG_2718.JPG

"Maya" by Skye Walker -- Taco Vino, Corvallis, Oregon

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 3

Jeff Austin, Yonder Mountain String Band Co-Founder, Dead at 45

A pillar of the modern bluegrass and jam band scene, singer/mandolinist Jeff Austin died unexpectedly on Monday, June 24th. He was 45.

A statement posted Tuesday afternoon on Austin’s Facebook confirmed his death, calling him a “dear friend whose music touched the lives of so many.”

Born and raised in the Chicago suburbs, Austin attended the University of Cincinnati. In Urbana, Illinois, he befriended banjoist David Johnston, whose band the Bluegrassholes he joined. Austin and Johnston later moved to Colorado, where they would found Yonder Mountain String Band with bassist Ben Kaufman and guitarist Adam Aijala in 1998.

With their instrumental prowess and adventurous musical spirit, Yonder Mountain String Band were — and still are — a pioneering group in the emerging progressive bluegrass scene that now includes marquee acts like Railroad Earth, the Infamous Stringdusters, Greensky Bluegrass, and Billy Strings. They have also been a festival staple for the better part of the two decades since they formed. During Austin’s tenure with the ensemble, the group would garner six Top 10 albums on the bluegrass charts, including three Number One releases. Austin parted ways with the group in 2014.

Since 2014, Austin toured the country with as the leader of his namesake Jeff Austin Band. The solo project had been gaining steam in recent years, especially through their ongoing collaboration with the Travelin’ McCourys and the Grateful Dead bluegrass tribute showcase titled “The Grateful Ball.”

“The Infamous Stringdusters opened up for Yonder in our early years and they taught us what was possible as an acoustic bluegrass band to be presented as a rock band,” Jeremy Garrett, Grammy-winning singer/fiddler for the Infamous Stringdusters, told Rolling Stone Country. “Jeff Austin was a huge part of presenting bluegrass as a rock show. It’s tragic. We’re all going to miss him and his profound influence on our scene.”

Austin is survived by wife, Devlyn, and three kids, Lily Rose, Penelope and Jude Patrick

• Love 5

Life and Debt series:

Kajal-Singh-who-uses-the-name-Dizy-has-l

Kajal Singh, "Dizzy" , Punjab, India

Lily-s-50-Reasons-to-Have-Sex-how-i-met-

Singer/Songwriter Nick Murphy, aka Chet Faker. The video features California skaters Candice Heiden, April Corley, and Appelusa McGlynn.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I have a feeling when @jewel21 comes back from Italy Steve will give her some nice snuggles and serenade a pretty song. Then he’ll try to play it off like “I didn’t miss you THAT much Mom, I was busy doing my own thing, I’m a grownup and dude-ish” 

George does that shit sometimes too 😂 like kisses me and sqwees w joy when I see him after a long day or 15 hrs apart, then he’ll catch himself and grab a bully and chew it or dibble a ball like “oh yeah no big i was doing shit when you came back” 

• LOL 9
  • Love 5

?m=02&d=20190626&t=2&i=1401754224&w=780&

A girl plays at a fountain on a hot summer day in central Kiev, Ukraine, June 26. REUTERS/Gleb Garanich -- Reuters Photos -- Heat wave bakes Europe

800.jpeg

Associated Press PHOTOS: California aquarium opens new wing

The Back Keys new album "Let's Rock' was released today.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I have a feeling when @jewel21 comes back from Italy Steve will give her some nice snuggles and serenade a pretty song. Then he’ll try to play it off like “I didn’t miss you THAT much Mom, I was busy doing my own thing, I’m a grownup and dude-ish” 

George does that shit sometimes too 😂 like kisses me and sqwees w joy when I see him after a long day or 15 hrs apart, then he’ll catch himself and grab a bully and chew it or dibble a ball like “oh yeah no big i was doing shit when you came back” 

All I ever get from Melvin when I walk in the door, gone all day or walk out of the laundry room ...

giphy.gif

• LOL 11
12 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Haha, he'd better! Two more nights together and then I have to drop him off early Saturday morning at boarding before heading home to get ready for my brother's girlfriend's baby shower that afternoon. Saturday is going to be crazy! And then Sunday I'm off. So crazy! I can't believe I'm leaving in just a few days!

• Love 13
(edited)
45 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Haha, he'd better! Two more nights together and then I have to drop him off early Saturday morning at boarding before heading home to get ready for my brother's girlfriend's baby shower that afternoon. Saturday is going to be crazy! And then Sunday I'm off. So crazy! I can't believe I'm leaving in just a few days!

Those few days before you leave are always a whirlwind and stressful, but it's gonna be okay.

Have a wonderful time!

Edited by boes
  • Love 14
31 minutes ago, boes said:

Those few days before you leave are always a whirlwind and stressful, but it's gonna be okay.

Have a wonderful time!

Thank you, Boes! Or I guess I should say grazie!

• Love 11

so, today my grand logan had his high school graduation ceremonies down at the port threatre...glad they were cushy seats and not bleachers..

anyway, just as group 3, the one my grand was in, was just starting to have their names read out and go to shake the hand and take a pic with the principal, the fire alarm went off..then came the announcement we should leave our seats and make an orderly exit to outside.  anyway, there we all were, friends, family and graduating students all standing outside on the sidewalk waiting for fire trucks and men to arrive..2 trucks showed up,, they went inside, made a thorough search of the place and then left..apparently someone on the third floor thought it would be funny...ha ha.. anyway, we all went back in and ceremonies started where they left off and i got to see my grand walk across the stage when his name was called and receive his certifcate....diploma will arrive in the mail in august.

i cried....

• Love 16
8 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

so, today my grand logan had his high school graduation ceremonies down at the port threatre...glad they were cushy seats and not bleachers..

anyway, just as group 3, the one my grand was in, was just starting to have their names read out and go to shake the hand and take a pic with the principal, the fire alarm went off..then came the announcement we should leave our seats and make an orderly exit to outside.  anyway, there we all were, friends, family and graduating students all standing outside on the sidewalk waiting for fire trucks and men to arrive..2 trucks showed up,, they went inside, made a thorough search of the place and then left..apparently someone on the third floor thought it would be funny...ha ha.. anyway, we all went back in and ceremonies started where they left off and i got to see my grand walk across the stage when his name was called and receive his certifcate....diploma will arrive in the mail in august.

i cried....

So much YAY!  🎆🎇🎊

• Love 10

Have a wonderful trip to Italy, jewel! Explore and be bold!

9 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

i cried....

(((Valley)))

Congratulations, Logan!

• Love 10
(edited)
  • 10 LGBT Uprisings Before Stonewall -- Stonewall is seen as the birth of the LGBT rights movement. But there were pickets, protests—even riots—in the years before June 28, 1969.
  • The Reckoning -- Nearly two decades after the U.S. Catholic Church vowed to eliminate sexual misconduct by clergy, Pope Francis and his bishops are still reckoning with the crisis of abuse, cover-up and the failure to hold church leaders accountable. The Associated Press explores the church’s greatest credibility crisis since the Reformation.

If you don't know Ry Cooder as a singer/songwriter, influential musician, music arranger and producer, advocate of forgotten music genres and  musicians, then you should.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7

Thank you Cupid and Snaporaz!

One more day before I'm off. I have most of Steve's things packed up and ready to go. It's supposed to rain most of the day tomorrow so I'll Uber with him to the animal hospital in the morning. Then I have to rush back home to get ready for my brother's girlfriend's baby shower. 

Then I need to go through my suitcases again once I'm home and make sure I didn't forget anything. I also want to water my plants before I go and clean out Steve's cage so it'll be ready and waiting for him when I come back. 

I'm so excited/nervous/anxious I don't know how I'm going to go sleep tonight or tomorrow night for that matter, haha. 

• Love 15

?m=02&d=20190628&t=2&i=1402562488&w=780&

Christen Press of the U.S. in action with France's Marion Torrent. REUTERS/Benoit Tessier

Reuters Photos: Women's World Cup: France 1 - USA 2

• Rapinoe double takes U.S. past France into semi-finals -- The single most inspiring athlete in America this week is Megan Rapinoe :1) Scored both goals against Spain, 2) Decline an invitation to eat fast-food with TPTB, and 3) Scored both goals against France. That's how you do it.

LA-Pride-Parade-Festival.jpeg

Reuters Photos: Pride worldwide

WInF6SJH_h4bAwx8FU6QfYyzOt2Bm7ISckAILhBi

Japanese zoo holds lion escape drill with costumed actor, real lions unimpressed -- Lion thought bubble: "Iz it fud?"

• Decoding the wedding dress code -- They’re stressful, classist, and sometimes no help at all. (We attended a wedding last night, and the dress 'suggestion' was picnic casual. Groan.) 

Elmore James, legendary singer/songwriter

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

I actually skimmed through the articles about the deep fake nudes because I was wondering if it would make one look better than reality. Unfortunately, that question was never answered. 🤭

Is that what you're shootin' for, AngelKitty.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Steve is in boarding and I keep thinking I hear him moving around in his cage. It's kind of creepy. 

Because he didn't get a mite treatment beforehand, they had to put him on the hospital side and I couldn't leave him any of his toys or blanket or his branch because they could be contaminated. I also wasn't able to change the layout of his cage as a result, and he's so finicky I don't think he'll want to sit on any of the perches they gave him. Hopefully he'll adjust quickly. 

The baby shower went well. The people were nice and the cake was adorable. 

Finally all packed up. I just have to put my face was in my checked luggage. 

Can I put an umbrella in my purse or will they think it's a weapon, lol. 

Also, my cousin and I aren't sitting together at all but maybe that's a good thing. We would've just fought over who got the window seat, lol. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

@peacheslatour what is your favorite Pinot Grigios? For whites I really like Sauvignon Blancs. Its funny, I know so little about wine and my palate is so uneducated but I buy it 😂 

my hubby makes my wine when he makes his beer....

however, when i buy it at the liquor store, it is dry white and comes in a box.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
  • TV’s Reckoning with #MeToo -- Many creators are visibly struggling to adjust to the changing landscape, rejecting the “very special episode” path and seeking something more honest and original.

swimming.jpg

Dolly Parton, Queen of Country, singer/songwriter -- There will be sequins. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
  • What the last Nuremberg prosecutor alive wants the world to know -- Benjamin Ferencz: Do you think the man who dropped the nuclear bomb on Hiroshima was a savage? Now I will tell you something very profound, which I have learned after many years. War makes murderers out of otherwise decent people. All wars, and all decent people. -- Many thanks for your undaunted service and wisdom, Mr. Ferencz.

190615094859-luis-alvarez-exlarge-169.jp

• 9/11 first responder and advocate Luis Alvarez dies at 53 -- Luis Alvarez, a retired NYPD bomb squad detective who described for Congress his medical issues during an impassioned appeal for an extension of the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund, died Saturday in a hospice in New York. He was 53. His death from complications of cancer linked to the time he spent with other first responders in the rubble at ground zero was announced in a Facebook statement from his family.

Tim Buckley, singer/songwriter

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 8

Gary Duncan, Quicksilver Messenger Service Guitarist, Dead at 72

Gary Duncan, guitarist and vocalist of the influential San Francisco psychedelic rock band Quicksilver Messenger Service, has died at the age of 72.

The band confirmed Duncan’s death on their Facebook page. According to Best Classic Bands, Duncan died Saturday in Woodland, California after suffering a seizure and falling into a coma.

Born out of the same San Francisco scene that fostered the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane and Steve Miller Band, Quicksilver Messenger Service were known for their electrifying live performances and complex guitar interplay.

Duncan co-founded Quicksilver Messenger Service after a stint as lead singer of the garage rock band the Brogues, who had a Nuggets-bound hit with 1965’s “I Ain’t No Miracle Worker.”

Soon after, Duncan and his Brogues bandmate, drummer Greg Elmore, were recruited by guitarist John Cipollina to audition for and then join the fledgling Quicksilver Messenger Service in 1965 alongside bassist David Freiberg; at the time, the band’s founding guitarist Dino Valenti (the stage name of “Get Together” songwriter Chet Powers) was in the midst of a two-year prison sentence on marijuana charges.

“When I first came to San Francisco before Quicksilver started, Jefferson Airplane was already playing. You could see them and see that they were gonna be successful. I mean, they were groomed for it. The Grateful Dead was just a phenomenon,” Duncan said in an interview. “We didn’t pursue that. Nobody really wanted to be a celebrity. That’s kind of like the way all of us are. Virgo is the sign of the hermit in the Tarot cards. We were all hermits and still are.”

Quicksilver Messenger Service spent the next few years honing their guitar-powered, psychedelic sound at San Francisco venues like Bill Graham’s Fillmore West. Following a breakout set at the 1967 Monterey International Pop Festival, the band signed with Capitol Records, which released their self-titled debut in 1968.

As far as Quicksilvers’ [Monterey Pop] performance, we were scared. I was scared. I had never been in front of that many people in my life. The whole set went by in a flash and it was finished,” Duncan said in 2007 for the book A Perfect Haze: The Illustrated History of the Monterey International Pop Festival. “I wasn’t aware until later that there was that much media, label attention on the show. I don’t know if we got signed because of our performance or not. I would assume not because we didn’t play that well in my opinion.”

In 1969, Quicksilver Messenger Service released their acclaimed Happy Trails, recorded live at the Fillmore West and Fillmore East and featuring a side-long riff on Bo Diddley’s “Who Do You Love?” Duncan also penned a pair of instrumentals, “Calvary” and “Maiden of the Cancer Moon,” that appeared the album’s B-side.

Rolling Stone placed the band’s 1969 LP Happy Trails at Number 189 on the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list. “The definitive live recording of the late-Sixties ballroom experience: This San Francisco acid-blues band’s second album captures its twin guitarists in bright flight, and composed intricacies like the studio epic ‘Calvary’ prove that psychedelia was about more than just tripping out,” Rolling Stone said of the album.

Following a brief departure from Quicksilver Messenger Service – the guitarist did not perform on 1969’s Shady Grove – Duncan and founding member Valenti rejoined the group for 1970’s Just for Love. Duncan remained a member through the founding lineup’s run, which concluded in 1975 with Solid Silver. Duncan and Elmore continued performing under the Quicksilver moniker until 1979, when the group disbanded.

While Duncan revived the Quicksilver name in the mid-Eighties for his own band, he ultimately reunited with Freiberg beginning in 2006. The duo performed as Quicksilver Messenger Service until Duncan’s death.

Vaya con Dios, Gary.

33 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

smart parrots doing amazing things

Incredibly inventive and adaptive creatures.

• Love 8
(edited)

190702151152-01-chicago-cloudgate-vadali

AADKn32.img?h=312&w=624&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Presenting The Very Reverend Al Green, singer/songwriter, with rhythm guitarist Teenie Hodges. "Love and Happiness" is called the quintessential Al Green song, and one of the greatest soul songs of all time.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 9
(edited)
55 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

190702151152-01-chicago-cloudgate-vadali

AADKn32.img?h=312&w=624&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Presenting The Very Reverend Al Green, singer/songwriter, with rhythm guitarist Teenie Hodges. "Love and Happiness" is called the quintessential Al Green song, and one of the greatest soul songs of all time.

Wish I could love this news roundup a million times!  Lots of good articles this morning (as there are everyday!), but to end with Al Green?  And this song? I'm a happy girl!

Thank you for taking time to do these daily!

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Wish I could love this news roundup a million times!  Lots of good articles this morning (as there are everyday!), but to end with Al Green?  And this song? I'm a happy girl!

Thank you for taking time to do these daily!

J'adore Al Green.

Just for you, lovesme.

; )

• Love 8

Happy Fourth of July, Preverts!

4th-Of-July-2017-Animated-GIF-9to5animat

I'm burning up vacation time at my parent's. There was a wedding, graduation party and family reunion last weekend. Dad's smoking a beef half and roasting sweet corn for the ravening hordes on the Fourth. The family will ride in the Independence Parade.

Yee Haa!

What are you guys up to for the Fourth?

• Love 11

we didn't do anything for canada day either.  just stayed home.  it was too hot for me to go out.

my daughter and grand rey are in forida this week..liz drove her and the dog down to step mom's place and rey will be going to college there in sept.  wanted to get all settled in and try and find a job before school starts.  got her first nu to her car too.  lizzie is also planning to see some friends from ft. rucker before she heads back to maryland.  she is not looking foreward to getting used to not having rey around.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

J'adore Al Green.

And I couldn't seriously like anyone who didn't. That voice, and the Hi/American Records horn line...

Since I go in and out of popular music [which amounts to classic R & B for me], there have been stages where I just tune out on it and revert to my pre-set, classical. Al Green, though has always been the exception.

I once spent months listening only to the Reverend and to Sinatra's Capitol Records versions of Cole Porter [Nelson Riddle arrangements only].

• Love 8