Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

yesterday was awards day at the grands school..

dawnica is only in grade 9 so their ceremony was in the afternoon...

dawnica received an award for being #1 in english in her school for gr. 9 english and she also received an award for being in the top 3 for science, social studies and french.

logan being a senior had his awards ceremony in the evening..

his award was for outstanding achievement in 3D video modeling and also voted most likely to be a super hero..

so dang proud of them i strut like mick jagger.

• Love 15
(edited)
  • TV’s Reckoning with #MeTo -- Many creators are visibly struggling to adjust to the changing landscape, rejecting the “very special episode” path and seeking something more honest and original. An ethic not trickling down to Daytime.

kawhi-leonard-2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

TheSource_t653.jpg?214bc4f9d9bd7c08c7d0f

28089572824_1ea4944d36_k.jpg

c903073443798907d591b78a97b47632.jpg

Artist my dog sighs mural -- London

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 8
31 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

yesterday was awards day at the grands school..

dawnica is only in grade 9 so their ceremony was in the afternoon...

dawnica received an award for being #1 in english in her school for gr. 9 english and she also received an award for being in the top 3 for science, social studies and french.

logan being a senior had his awards ceremony in the evening..

his award was for outstanding achievement in 3D video modeling and also voted most likely to be a super hero..

so dang proud of them i strut like mick jagger.

That's fantastic! I bet you're having a hard time keeping your buttons from popping off! So it's off to college for Logan? God, they grow up waaay too fast.

• Love 10

That's fantastic news, Valley! Congratulations to scholars, Logan and Dawnica. What plans do they have for the summer?

We have Thing1's commencement this Sunday. Mr.Stunt left this morning, with Thing2 and Nana, to finish packing and loading a POD with Thing1's household. The POD is being picked up tomorrow morning and shipped to her townhouse. They're staying at the home of Mr.Stunt's brother in Menlo Park for the weekend; Thing1 was renting his garage apartment. The whole famdamily will be in attendance; I don't know where Thing1 got all the tickets.

I stayed behind for the electrical certificate from the Pasadena city inspector; she was poking at the new wiring in the kitchen, bathrooms, garage and laundry room at Thing1's condo. It all went right (Thank you, Saint Eligius!-- Patron Saint of Electricians) so I jumped in my car and am driving to San Francisco (stopped at a gas station to have dinner, because the traffic is horrific). I have the radio booth setup/broadcast startup for the Sonoma-Marin Fair the following week. The union was giving me static for a job exchange option (no to a licensed engineer from a different local, because their President is an asshat -- What a surprise), so I'm covering at the fair because the two scheduled licensed engineers have the measles -- Yay! The acceptable union replacement returns from vacation on Tuesday.

• Love 12
(edited)
  • As the May government limps off, and an election looms over Britain and Brexit, other parts of Europe seem to be weighing, electorally and otherwise, if the European Union is something worth keeping or whether it belongs on the trash heap of history next to The League of Nations and the Roman Empire. In this video, Kurzgesagt takes a look at some of the benefits and criticisms of the EU and considers whether the former outweigh the latter.

?m=02&d=20190606&t=2&i=1395011838&w=780&

A migrant kneels while holding the stroller of his son after being detained by federal police officers during a joint operation by the Mexican government to stop a caravan of Central American migrants on their way to the U.S., at Metapa de Dominguez, in Chiapas state, Mexico June 5. REUTERS/Jose Torres

Reuters Photos -- Migrants met by armed forces at Mexico's southern border

Banksy_tag.jpg

Banksy -- Toronto, Ontario

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7
(edited)
7 hours ago, bannana said:

That is so exciting @Cupid Stunt.  It doesn't happen often, good on Thing 1.

Apparently many graduates don't have guests at commencement, so they 'give away' their tickets. She lobbied Spring 2019 graduates during W/S semester, and passed on additional tickets to students that wanted them. 

She chooses to use her powers for Science, yet Thing1 could be the woman who sold the world … 

Jk, and an excuse for a musical interlude. I'm very proud of Thing1's accomplishments.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 13

You almost gave me a heart attack @jpagan05

I think Steve senses something is up and I'm going to be leaving soon on vacation. He's become much needier, always screaming  if I try to leave the room. He's also started flying onto my bed and napping in the crook of my arm which he hasn't done in over a year. Or maybe he's just getting softer in his "old" age,  he does have a birthday coming up, heh. 

• Love 11

?m=02&d=20190614&t=2&i=1397939272&w=780&

Reuters Photos: Women's World Cup

image.jpg

Bella, the vervet monkey looks at the camera at Primates, Inc.

Welling-Court-Piece2-960x600.jpg

Ryan Seslow mural collaborates with wallpaper/sticker artists -- Welling Court

800.jpeg

Notre Dame Cathedral holds first mass since devastating fire, with attendees in hardhats

alt_62830.jpg

Bianca Del Rio just clowning around

• Love 6
(edited)

Bad Dad Jokes:

- "Dad, did you get a haircut?" "No, I got them all cut!"

- "My wife is really mad at the fact that I have no sense of direction. So I packed up my stuff and right!"

- "How do you get a squirrel to like you? Act like a nut."

- "Why don't eggs tell jokes? They'd crack each other up."

- "I don't trust stairs. They're always up to something."

- "What do you call someone with no body and no nose? Nobody knows."

- "Did you hear the rumor about butter? Well, I'm not going to spread it!"

- "Why couldn't the bicycle stand up by itself? It was two tired."

- "Dad, can you put my shoes on?" "No, I don't think they'll fit me."

- "Why can't a nose be 12 inches long? Because then it would be a foot."

- "This graveyard looks overcrowded. People must be dying to get in."

- "Dad, can you put the cat out?" "I didn't know it was on fire."

- "What time did the man go to the dentist? Tooth hurt-y."

- "How many tickles does it take to make an octopus laugh? Ten tickles."

bigstock-Happy-Fathers-Day-188678863.jpg

Thank you, Dad.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
53 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

"Dad, did you get a haircut?" "No, I got them all cut!"

54 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

"This graveyard looks overcrowded. People must be dying to get in."

54 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

"What time did the man go to the dentist? Tooth hurt-y."

3 of my father's staples.  I always rolled my eyes when he said them...now I miss it 😞

• Love 4
11 hours ago, jewel21 said:

You almost gave me a heart attack @jpagan05

I think Steve senses something is up and I'm going to be leaving soon on vacation. He's become much needier, always screaming  if I try to leave the room. He's also started flying onto my bed and napping in the crook of my arm which he hasn't done in over a year. Or maybe he's just getting softer in his "old" age,  he does have a birthday coming up, heh. 

Steve snuggling his Mom is the most adorable mental image. I bet your heart melted. 

I thought this was really well done.

i didn’t realize initially 

Spoiler

his wife and also his son were hit by the bus and died. And end he was old and dying and thinking back to all the meaningful moments and would do them all the same. 

• Love 7
(edited)

800.jpeg

"No More Stolen Sisters" -- Vela (Sebastian Velazquez), Las Cruces, New Mexico

• Thousands of Swiss women walked out of their jobs to protest inequality -- It was the 28th anniversary of the historic 1991 women’s strike in Switzerland that put pressure on the government to better implement a constitutional amendment on gender equality. That 1991 strike led to the passage of the Gender Equality Act five years later, which gave women legal protections from discrimination and gender bias in the workplace.

160303112113-restricted-brandi-chastain-

180109095452-boondocks-oprah-2-exlarge-1

• What it's like to be a white woman named LaKiesha -- We hear a lot about what are known as "black-sounding" names these days. Comics make fun of names like "D'Brickashaw Ferguson" or "Tyrasciuses." Professors conduct studies on the success rate for job applicants with names like "Jamal." Online commentators warn black parents not to give their babies names like "Keisha," while others simply confess -- as one white man did -- "I truly don't get the black name thing."
Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 6
On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:33 AM, Cupid Stunt said:

?m=02&d=20190614&t=2&i=1397939272&w=780&

Reuters Photos: Women's World Cup

image.jpg

Bella, the vervet monkey looks at the camera at Primates, Inc.

Welling-Court-Piece2-960x600.jpg

Ryan Seslow mural collaborates with wallpaper/sticker artists -- Welling Court

800.jpeg

Notre Dame Cathedral holds first mass since devastating fire, with attendees in hardhats

alt_62830.jpg

Bianca Del Rio just clowning around

I did not realize that Cali beaches had to be accessible to everyone.  We stayed in Malibu a long time ago (the 80s) at a lovely motel which is no longer there, but it was the only way to access the beach.  Access was cut off to the public because all of those beach homes were owned by celebs and/or other wealthy people.  So this is interesting to me.

In Hawaii all State beaches, except those on military bases, must be accessible to the public.  So even you are staying in a gated upscale property, or a high end hotel, there must be public parking and access.  Most tourists don't realize this, of course, but it makes it accessible to the locals who rightly should be able to access any beach.

• Love 8

11219416-3x2-700x467.jpg

cardib.jpg?itok=uX4MCaPp&h=c673cd1c

2-1560121822.jpg?resize=480:*

csm_00-Suhaib-Attar-Dina-Saadi-Hombre-B_

• Baladk Street Art Festival, Amman , Jordan -- Unknown (1st), Dina Saadi (2nd), Hombre SUK (3rd)
  • Love 9

LOLOL  i was just on my facebook page and a sponsored ad was for the canadian hemochromatosis society on how to spot symptoms for the disease...

crap victor, i don't care what you have but it annoys me that what is printed on y&r forums shows up on facebook.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

LOLOL  i was just on my facebook page and a sponsored ad was for the canadian hemochromatosis society on how to spot symptoms for the disease...

crap victor, i don't care what you have but it annoys me that what is printed on y&r forums shows up on facebook.

Be afraid, Valley.

The Zuck is sifting through your computer, selling your every key stroke to corporate clients.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
(edited)
  • The Reckoning -- Nearly two decades after the U.S. Catholic Church vowed to eliminate sexual misconduct by clergy, Pope Francis and his bishops are still reckoning with the crisis of abuse, cover-up and the failure to hold church leaders accountable. The Associated Press explores the church’s greatest credibility crisis since the Reformation.

hqdefault.jpg

190618-cuadrado-cemetery-al-1445_2922821

Pillaged graves in El Cuadrado cemetery.

• The Plain View Project -- The Plain View Project is a database of public Facebook posts and comments made by current and former police officers from several jurisdictions across the United States.

sharkmermaid-streetartmural_orig.jpg

Fieldey -- "Jumping the Shark" -- Victoria Park, Perth, Australia 

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Be afraid, Valley.

The Zuck is sifting through your computer, selling your every key stroke to corporate clients.  

guess i will be inundated with ads to buy double strap walking shoes and full length zipper housecoats....🤣🤣

• LOL 10
2 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

guess i will be inundated with ads to buy double strap walking shoes and full length zipper housecoats....🤣🤣

You're on the cusp of Influencer-mode! You got it goin' on, Valley.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:18 AM, bannana said:

I did not realize that Cali beaches had to be accessible to everyone.  We stayed in Malibu a long time ago (the 80s) at a lovely motel which is no longer there, but it was the only way to access the beach.  Access was cut off to the public because all of those beach homes were owned by celebs and/or other wealthy people.  So this is interesting to me.

In Hawaii all State beaches, except those on military bases, must be accessible to the public.  So even you are staying in a gated upscale property, or a high end hotel, there must be public parking and access.  Most tourists don't realize this, of course, but it makes it accessible to the locals who rightly should be able to access any beach.

It's a huge problem in California. In the last 20 years, the California Coastal Commission had been regularly influenced by big money interests, lobbying and specious "Green" projects that promise the moon and stars when it comes to public access, guaranteeing open spaces and protecting endangered species, which contributes to the land grab of less than optimum land to develop. The article below shows the difficulty of protecting sensitive coastline areas from millionaires that demand to build personal fiefdoms on the coastline, simply because they are able to pay 4-5 times the asking price to secure multiple connecting parcels.

U2 guitarist won’t get to build mansions on Malibu hillside

The Sierra Club was undaunted, promising to fight Edge for as long as it took. If Edge decides to amend his plans and reapply for the building process again, he will be met by the changed board members on the Los Angeles County Department of Regional Planning and Coastal Commission. The community and conservation groups are  overwhelmingly against the development of the hillside, and Edge has managed to make himself leading pariah in the Malibu colony, not an easy accomplishment with so many sharp elbows and enormous bank accounts navigating to quaint streets.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
(edited)
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

I hope everyone is enjoying the first weekend of summer!  After a week of rainy days, we've been having perfect weather since Friday...warm but not hot, clear blue skies, nice breezes, and no humidity.  It won't last, so it's best to carpe the diem and relish it while we have it.

How are the real estate adventures going. @peacheslatour?  And has your dad adjusted to his new home yet?  Enquiring minds want to know!

• Love 13
1 minute ago, Snaporaz said:

I hope everyone is enjoying the first weekend of summer!  After a week of rainy days, we've been having perfect weather since Friday...warm but not hot, clear blue skies, nice breezes, and no humidity.  It won't last, so it's best to carpe the diem and relish it while we have it.

How are the real estate adventures going. @peacheslatour?  And has your dad adjusted to his new home yet?  Enquiring minds want to know!

Funny you should ask. My dad us adjusting very slowly, thinks he will go home when "he gets better". Of course we know he will only get worse. The good news though, is that he is in a very nice place and they do all sorts of fun activities and outings. He is being well taken care of. My husband has taken several days off from work to work on my dad's yard. It used to be a show place when my mom was alive but dad just couldn't do anything anymore. We hope to put it on the market in Sept. So far we have rented a storage unit, hired roofers, landscapers and a tree service to do some heavy duty pruning.  As soon as the few pieces of furniture we want to keep is in storage, the auction house will go to work to get rid of everything else. Here's a pro tip kids: Don't throw away anything if you have to do this. The auction house rep chided me for throwing away food. She says people will buy anything. Thank you for asking, it's been a trip. A very painful trip. Alzheimer's disease is a nightmare I wouldn't wish in my worst enemy.  How are you doing snap? Have you given any thought to getting a new cat?

• Love 12

Lew Klein, who helped create ‘American Bandstand,’ dies

Lew Klein, a broadcast pioneer who helped create “American Bandstand” and launched the careers of Dick Clark and Bob Saget, has died. He was 91.

Klein died June 12, according to Temple University, where Klein taught and mentored students for more than six decades.

He began working at WFIL-TV, now WPVI-TV, where he directed “Romper Room” and co-created “Captain Noah and His Magical Ark,” two popular children’s programs in the 1960s that attracted a bigger local audience than “Sesame Street.”

A native of Philadelphia, Klein served as executive producer of “American Bandstand,” the popular music performance and dance television show hosted by the late Clark. Klein is credited with launching Clark’s career and served on the board of Dick Clark Productions.

Klein spent 15 years producing telecasts for the Philadelphia Phillies and also helped with the careers of players-turned-sportscasters including Richie Ashburn and Tim McCarver.

Only a couple years after he graduated with an English degree from the University of Pennsylvania, Klein started teaching at Temple. He stayed for more than 65 years.

In 2017, Temple renamed the College of Media and Communications in his honor. During a ceremony, which included remarks from comedian Saget, Klein said he was “so proud and very thankful” to be honored by the university.

Klein helped Bob Saget get an internship on “The Mike Douglas Show,” a daytime talk show. Klein was also an early supporter of “Through Adam’s Eyes,” a film Saget made in the late 1970s at Temple about his nephew who received facial reconstructive surgery.

“I can truly say he was a conduit for all of that,” Saget said. "People like him don’t come around often,” Saget said. “He was just an all-around good man. When I saw him, I kissed him. And I only did that with my dad, Don Rickles and Norman Lear.”

Former NBC news anchor Tamron Hall, also a Temple graduate, called Klein “a legend and an inspiration.”

“I lost someone who I admired dearly,” she tweeted alongside a photo of the two of them.

Joe Conti, president of the Pennsylvania Association of Broadcasters, called Klein a “titan within the broadcast community.”

“He was a compassionate leader, tireless advocate and mentor to generations of broadcast television and radio professionals,” he said in an emailed statement.

Survivors include Klein’s wife, Janet; children Ellen and Stephen; granddaughter Anna and her husband, John; and great-grandchildren Oscar and Miriam.

• Love 5

Elliot Roberts, pivotal industry figure managed Joni Mitchell and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young alongside launching the careers of Tracy Chapman and the Cars, dead at 76

Elliot Roberts, who managed the careers of Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Tom Petty and many classic-rock legends, died Friday at the age of 76. A cause of death has not been revealed.

“It is with a heavy heart that we can confirm the passing of Elliot Roberts. No further details are available at this time,” a rep for Young wrote in a statement on behalf of Roberts’ Lookout Management. “Roberts, among the most respected and beloved music industry figures of all time, leaves an indelible footprint as a pioneer and leader in the business of artist representation. His uncanny intellect, unmatched, sharp wit, larger-than-life charisma along with his keen understanding of the music industry will remain unparalleled. Truly one of a kind, he will be missed always and by many.”

With his former colleague David Geffen, Roberts was one of the pivotal figures in the rise of the Southern California and Laurel Canyon music scenes of the Sixties and Seventies. Known equally for his business savvy and sense of humor, Roberts landed record deals for Young and Mitchell, co-managed Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, conceived the idea of Petty and the Heartbreakers backing Bob Dylan in the 1980s and helped launch the careers of Tracy Chapman and the Cars.

Young called Roberts “the greatest manager of all time” in a tribute he penned Saturday. “Never one to think of himself, he puts everyone else first. That’s what he did for me for over fifty years of friendship, love and laughter, managing my life, protecting our art in the business of music. That’s what he did,” Young wrote. “When it came to our business, Elliot guided me through every move. We talked every day. Often I would call him multiple times in a day, arguing, discussing, planning and sharing. He was there for me and protected my music with a fierceness.”

“Elliot was a funny, brilliant friend and devoted manager,” Graham Nash said in a statement. “His life touched many people, and he brought forth the best in people. He was the glue that kept CSNY together in our early years and I will certainly miss him with sadness in my heart.”

In a statement to Rolling Stone, Stephen Stills said Roberts was “probably the kindest, gentlest, and far and away the funniest man I ever worked with in Show Business.” “He was also tough as a barbed wire fence, fiercely loyal and keenly observant; guarding the best interests of his clients with uncommon tenacity and skill. But his greatest gift was his soulful, open heart,” Stills wrote.

Roberts was long known as one of the fiercest protectors of his clients. “I think I’m tough,” he told Young biographer Jimmy McDonough in 2002’s Shakey. “Have you ever met a guy in my position who thought he was a pussy? I’m tough, but I’m fair… No, I think I’m way tough, and I don’t think I’m fair at all. Fairness comes into the equation sometimes, but when I deal with Neil for Neil, I don’t care what’s fair — I only care what Neil wants. Not what’s fair.”

The tenacious manager also negotiated Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young’s massive 1974 stadium tour and, later that decade, reorganized the deal between Petty and the Heartbreakers, giving Petty 50 percent and the other four musicians the remaining amount. “As I told them, this will keep us together; otherwise, this band will not stay together,’” he told Petty biographer Warren Zanes last year. “It was something that, as Tom’s manager, I had to do.”

Born Elliot Rabinowitz on February 25th, 1943, Roberts was raised in the Bronx, ran with gangs and, after flirting with the idea of becoming an athlete given his basketball chops, opted for show business. He wound up in the mail room at the William Morris Agency, where he would meet fellow would-be mover and shaker David Geffen.

After he and Geffen rose up the ladder, Roberts heard a tape of Mitchell and soon became her manager, forming Lookout Management. At Mitchell’s urging, Roberts, then only 23, also began managing Young (following the breakup of Buffalo Springfield) and, soon after, Crosby, Stills & Nash. While trying to land the trio a record deal, Roberts realized he needed someone with more record company contacts. Alongside Geffen, he formed the powerful Geffen-Roberts Company. The management firm soon came to represent not just Mitchell (until 1985) but Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, America and many others. When Geffen started Asylum Records, its acts, including the Eagles and Jackson Browne, were also managed by Geffen-Roberts.

Roberts’ working relationship with Young, which began in 1969 and continued through Roberts’ death, was one of the most enduring artist-manager relationships in rock history. The two often butted heads but remained close and forged a bond that got them through the peaks and valleys of Young’s career. “Because I tend to avoid the confrontations and delivering bad news, I am not good at doing any of that,” Young wrote in his first memoir, Waging Heavy Peace. “Elliot is. He knows how to communicate where I don’t … Just as I wake up every day with a new idea, he wakes up every day with a new approach to solving the problems that arise with the projects I am already immersed in. There are a lot of them. This is our pattern.”

As Roberts told McDonough in Shakey, “I couldn’t write all those great fuckin’ albums for Neil, or have the pain that he has so he could get those emotions out. I can protect him, I can showcase him, I can make sure when it’s special, everyone knows.”

-- David Browne

• Love 8
(edited)

Dave Bartholomew, Songwriter and Fats Domino Collaborator, Dead at 100. New Orleans legend and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee co-wrote “Ain’t That a Shame,” produced Domino’s “Blueberry Hill”

Dave Bartholomew, the New Orleans musician, Fats Domino collaborator and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee who co-wrote the R&B classic “Ain’t That a Shame,” has died at the age of 100.

Bartholomew died Sunday at a New Orleans-area hospital, his son Dave Bartholomew Jr. confirmed to the Associated Press. “His body simply broke down. Daddy was 100 years and six months old. It was just that time,” Bartholomew Jr. said.

A trumpeter, bandleader, producer and arranger who worked with artists like Domino, Lloyd Price, Smiley Lewis and Shirley & Lee, the Louisiana-born Bartholomew had a lasting impact on both the music of New Orleans and R&B of the Fifties, which in turn inspired the rock music that emerged in the early Sixties.

His 14-year partnership with Domino, which began in 1949 when the two co-wrote and recorded Domino’s career-launching hit “The Fat Man,” yielded R&B gems like “I’m in Love Again,” “I’m Walkin’,” “Valley of Tears,” “My Girl Josephine,” “Whole Lotta Loving” and the classic “Ain’t That a Shame,” which would later be covered by artists like Cheap Trick, John Lennon, Paul McCartney and more.

“We never sat down to write anything,” Bartholomew told the Times-Picayune of his collaborations with Domino. “He and I just played. If we started a song and we got lost… I remember one time on ‘I’m in Love Again,’ we went outside and somebody said, ‘Don’t let the dog bite you.’ So we come back and put that in the song. We always had an awful lot of rhythm in our world, plus the blues, and New Orleans being known for its second-line, we considered that, too. With that, and what we added to it, we were very lucky. It went over big.”

Bartholomew is credited with adding the brassy arrangements, inspired by the “Big Beat ” sound of New Orleans, to Domino’s famed renditions of “Blueberry Hill” and “My Blue Heaven.” Both “Ain’t That a Shame” and “Blueberry Hill” were named to Rolling Stone‘s 500 Greatest Songs of All Time list.

An inductee into the Songwriters Hall of Fame, Bartholomew penned hits like Chuck Berry’s Number One novelty hit “My Ding-A-Ling,” “Blue Monday” (popularized by Domino and covered by Dr. John, Buddy Holly and others) and “One Night,” a Smiley Lewis hit that Elvis Presley recorded as part of his 1968 comeback special. Bartholomew also produced Lloyd Price’s 1952 hit “Lawdy Miss Clawdy” and co-wrote “Witchcraft,” a hit for the Spiders that Presley covered in 1963.

After a collaborative hiatus that stretched the Seventies and Eighties, Bartholomew and Domino reunited at the 1999 Jazz & Heritage Festival in New Orleans. In 2014, the pair both attended a screening of the documentary The Big Beat about their impact on music. Domino died in October 2017. Bartholomew was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1991 as the recipient of the Ahmet Ertegun Award.

-- Daniel Kreps

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Funny you should ask. My dad us adjusting very slowly, thinks he will go home when "he gets better". Of course we know he will only get worse. The good news though, is that he is in a very nice place and they do all sorts of fun activities and outings. He is being well taken care of. My husband has taken several days off from work to work on my dad's yard. It used to be a show place when my mom was alive but dad just couldn't do anything anymore. We hope to put it on the market in Sept. So far we have rented a storage unit, hired roofers, landscapers and a tree service to do some heavy duty pruning.  As soon as the few pieces of furniture we want to keep is in storage, the auction house will go to work to get rid of everything else. Here's a pro tip kids: Don't throw away anything if you have to do this. The auction house rep chided me for throwing away food. She says people will buy anything. Thank you for asking, it's been a trip. A very painful trip. Alzheimer's disease is a nightmare I wouldn't wish in my worst enemy.  How are you doing snap? Have you given any thought to getting a new cat?

I'm not sure I'm emotionally equipped right now for another pet.  Those awful six weeks of Boris' illness still haunt me two years later, and I don't think I could handle anything like that again.  I know that's a pessimistic view, but that's where I am at the moment.  

It may sound strange, but I think I have unofficially adopted a squirrel who visits me every day.  I bought him his own stash of almonds and a bag of mixed nuts in their shells.  He's gotten so comfortable that he comes on my porch and sits right beside me as he eats his almonds.  He takes the in-shell nuts and buries them.  It's kind of great when a wild animal develops some trust in you, but now I worry that he'll think he can trust all humans.  Last month, he didn't come around for over two weeks, and I really believed something had happened to him.  As I was getting my mail one day, I saw him and called out to him.  He stopped in his tracks and followed me back to the porch where I give him his almonds, and he's been back every day since.  

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

I'm not sure I'm emotionally equipped right now for another pet.  Those awful six weeks of Boris' illness still haunt me two years later, and I don't think I could handle anything like that again.  I know that's a pessimistic view, but that's where I am at the moment.  

It may sound strange, but I think I have unofficially adopted a squirrel who visits me every day.  I bought him his own stash of almonds and a bag of mixed nuts in their shells.  He's gotten so comfortable that he comes on my porch and sits right beside me as he eats his almonds.  He takes the in-shell nuts and buries them.  It's kind of great when a wild animal develops some trust in you, but now I worry that he'll think he can trust all humans.  Last month, he didn't come around for over two weeks, and I really believed something had happened to him.  As I was getting my mail one day, I saw him and called out to him.  He stopped in his tracks and followed me back to the porch where I give him his almonds, and he's been back every day since.  

That's really terrific, Snaporaz.  I don't think you need to worry about the squirrel getting too trusting.  I put food on the fence for ours every day, and while they don't run away when I approach, they do hightail it outta sight if anyone other than me does it.  That squirrel knows you won't harm him.

I totally get how you feel about another animal after Boris.  If it changes, you'll know it, but till then I think you're right to pay attention to your feelings.

• Love 14
6 hours ago, jewel21 said:

This time next week I will be on a flight to Italy and I'm freaking out. Also, I already miss my bird and I haven't even left him yet.

It is going to be so fantastic @jewel21.  I understand the freaking out part.  When you let yourself embrace the experience, you will be amazed.  And before you know it, you will be back home.

I cannot wait to hear all about it!

• Love 12
7 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

I have unofficially adopted a squirrel who visits me every day.

That's so cute. We have a squirrel who comes into my screened in porch to eat the oatmeal the pig leaves on the ground. The other day my little 18-year-old kitty, Nelson, was out there and the squirrel was right in front him eating away. And then Nelson got up and moved towards squirrel who jumped up on a chair and Nelson went under and was like "where did he go?" It was so funny. I wish I had videoed it.

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
(edited)

tumblr_p814cuvBqb1wzvt9qo3_500.gif

1*SKtutgFq19xu5xvPq1c7JA.png

Sheefy McFly mural -- Market neighborhood, Detroit, Michigan

• The Rise of the Snowplow Sports Parents -- In football as in other sports, they’re drawing up business plans, starting marketing agencies, turning up at practice and even monitoring phone use. But by clearing out every obstacle on their kids’ road to stardom, hyper-involved moms and dads threaten to deprive young athletes of critical life experiences. And they’re driving coaches and agents nuts.

Singer/Songwriter Series -- Twofer with Alicia Keys & Maren Morris - Grammy Rehearsal  "Once"

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, bannana said:

It is going to be so fantastic @jewel21.  I understand the freaking out part.  When you let yourself embrace the experience, you will be amazed.  And before you know it, you will be back home.

I cannot wait to hear all about it!

Thank you, bannana, you always know how to make me feel better! 

• Love 10

How the ever loving hell do you cancel Century Link service? Mt dad obviously no longer needs phone, internet, cable. I called under the pretext of paying his bill and every time I say the word "cancel" they put me on hold for hours. I am going to enclose a letter with my payment, threatening legal action. Is there anything else I can do?

• Love 3

the grands were over yesterday and they picked a slew of cherries off our tree in the front yard....today, i am going to make some cherry tarts...i am not going to cook cherries first tho, i will try to make them using fresh cherries instead...used a cake decorating tip to pit the cherries.  worked great but i have cherry juice splatter on my shirt.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

How the ever loving hell do you cancel Century Link service? Mt dad obviously no longer needs phone, internet, cable. I called under the pretext of paying his bill and every time I say the word "cancel" they put me on hold for hours. I am going to enclose a letter with my payment, threatening legal action. Is there anything else I can do?

is there an option just to hit 0 and speak to a representative?

i do that when making my ferry res. or even booking a hotel room...hate talking to computers.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

is there an option just to hit 0 and speak to a representative?

i do that when making my ferry res. or even booking a hotel room...hate talking to computers.

You know, that usually works but I haven't tried it yet with these shit weasels. Thanks for the great idea!

• Love 5