Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
radishcake

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

8 minutes ago, boes said:

I was loving Chinese chicken salad back in the 70's in San Francisco, and cheesy dust stuff since the 60's in Iowa.

And I still do!

I got the recipe from an exes mom. She also taught me chicken enchiladas, guacamole, sweet and sour stir fry and soft corn tacos. My mom was an excellent cook ( she had a degree in home ec) but she didn't know from Mexican or Asian.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 2

28 minutes ago, boes said:

I was loving Chinese chicken salad back in the 70's in San Francisco, and cheesy dust stuff since the 60's in Iowa.

And I still do!

Is that the chicken salad with the canned mandarin oranges, soy/sesame dressing, & dry noodles? Or am I thinking of the take-out item called something like Asian salad?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

21 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Is that the chicken salad with the canned mandarin oranges, soy/sesame dressing, & dry noodles? Or am I thinking of the take-out item called something like Asian salad?

The one I have calls for chicken, green onions, toasted almonds and sesame seeds. The dressing is oil, vinegar, honey, sesame oil, garlic and ginger. You're also supposed to use those rice noodles that puff up when you fry them but I usually don't bother. It's best if you use leftover fried chicken.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

The one I have calls for chicken, green onions, toasted almonds and sesame seeds. The dressing is oil, vinegar, honey, sesame oil, garlic and ginger. You're also supposed to use those rice noodles that puff up when you fry them but I usually don't bother. It's best if you use leftover fried chicken.

That sounds much better!

But--you have leftover fried chicken?

• Laugh 6

2 minutes ago, pearlite said:

That sounds much better!

But--you have leftover fried chicken?

Right? I often buy fried chicken from the deli. Since our son is grown and on his own we seem to have a lot more leftovers. 🤔

• Like 3
  • Laugh 2

41 minutes ago, pearlite said:

I don't know about the mandarin oranges, but everything else sounds right.  I've never made it at home.  There was a restaurant in SF back in the 70's called Yet Wah where we'd go after work on Friday's for Chinese chicken salad and martinis - oh, youth!! - and I'd never had something so delicious.  I still order it on the rare occasions I eat out in the city - the old restaruant is long gone - and while the taste is similar, it's not exactly like Yet Wah's was.  

Or maybe even my taste bud memories are rosier than the reality was.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I beg your pardon! I had Chinese chicken salad for breakfast this morning. It's delicious. 🐓

3 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

I beg your pardon, I had those for breakfast. 😁

2 hours ago, boes said:

And I still do!

Stow your batons, Preverts!

I'm a Fritos fangirl, and my Caesar salad must have anchovies.

In the 90's certain food entrees, salads, desserts, drinks and cheese-dust encrusted snack options (Cheezy GameBoy/Speed Racer/Hello Kitty crackers?) were everywhere for almost exclusively marketing reasons. Certain flavors, colors, textures and packaging were being given the hard sell.

Tiramisu in the 90's (time consuming preparation, involving expensive ingredients if it is to be made well) suddenly was on every menu, at every dinner party, flavoring every cream-filled refrigerated bakery case item -- Like the desperation for Pumpkin Spice everything the day after Labor Day, the 90's became the proving ground for a form of marketing tsunami that we've become immunized toward after years of exposure.

One day it's salted caramels, next week we're mad for cupcakes (a buttercream frosting delivery system, as far as I can tell), next we can't live without reverse-osmosis water, then it's fish tacos, yesterday we were a bunch of spuds if we weren't stuffing our gobs with French macarons (another frosting delivery system), everyone march to the Vegan/Paleo/South Beach/Soylent Green drumbeat -- Food as fast fashion, a political statement or moral imperative … Screw it.

Eat for health, sustenance and enjoyment. Life is too short.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, boes said:

I don't know about the mandarin oranges, but everything else sounds right.  I've never made it at home.  There was a restaurant in SF back in the 70's called Yet Wah where we'd go after work on Friday's for Chinese chicken salad and martinis - oh, youth!! - and I'd never had something so delicious.  I still order it on the rare occasions I eat out in the city - the old restaruant is long gone - and while the taste is similar, it's not exactly like Yet Wah's was.  

Or maybe even my taste bud memories are rosier than the reality was.

Have another martini.

; )

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

Truly. The police had stopped looking. There were volunteers still searching every day and night. The man that spotted her was a friend that used "Go Fund Me" money to hire the helicopter. It's just incredible.

• Like 6