Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

31 minutes ago, jpagan05 said:

My grandmother and I waited in line to go to Easter mass in 1999. The first time I saw the building, it literally took my breathe away. It was raining and it looked so beautiful and dramatic. I'm crying. This is so sad.

I was there in 1999 too. What month?

• Love 2

See the interior of Notre Dame cathedral in 360° as shot by CNNVR in 2015.

"For generations, Notre Dame has been a place of pilgrimage and prayer, and, even as religion in France has declined for decades, it remained the beating heart of French Catholicism, open every day for Mass.

About the cathedral: Notre Dame is not a parish church, meaning that it does not have a regular body of worshippers who "belong" to the church. But it is still the home church of Paris Archbishop Michel Aupetit, and draws Catholics for vespers (evening prayers), Masses and the Sacrament of Reconciliation, also known as Penance.

And every year during Holy Week, Notre Dame unveils some of the most coveted relics in Christendom. Among them is the Holy Crown, believed by many to be from the crown of thorns placed on the head of Jesus. Catholics have prayed with the Holy Crown for more than 16 centuries, according to the cathedral.

Notre Dame counts among its treasures two other relics connected to Holy Week: a fragment of the Wood of the Cross, believed by many to be a part of the "true cross" on which Jesus was crucified; and one of the nails that the Romans used to crucify Jesus."

-- Why Notre Dame Cathedral is so important to Catholics worldwide

3000.jpeg

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

i am a recovering catholic and i was in tears watching the fire ravage the cathedral.

i was watching cnn and as the reporter in paris was speaking, you could hear the crowd in the background singing hymns..i think one of the ones i heard was ave maria..

• Love 2
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I was there in 1999 too. What month?

Omg, @peacheslatour, I was there in April. My Gram and I would do a museum during the day then she would go take a nap and I would wonder on my own. As a former art student I was gasping at every turn. It was the most beautiful city I've ever seen. It's such a great memory for me. Were we at mass together? I'm not a practicing catholic but it was pretty special to be there.

• Love 8

-- Those looking for hope amid the devastation of Notre Dame will be heartened by French President Emmanuel Macron's assurance that the French will "rebuild together," and immediate fundraising efforts leading to pledges of 50 million euros ($56 million) and 200 million euros ($226 million) from Paris' City Hall and the luxury goods and fashion house LVMH, respectively.

Assuming the requisite funding is found, how will the process be carried out?

Before distinguishing between the salvageable and the unrecoverable, immediate steps will need to be taken to prevent further damage, architectural historian and broadcaster Jonathan Foyle explains.

"It's already a wet building because of the water that's been pumped on it, so they're going to need to provide some kind of cover from the elements," he told CNN.

"The roof's job was to discharge thousands of tons of water, so where's that going to go? Every time it rains it's going to cause damage at this point, so it's a war of attrition now."

French authorities will ultimately need to take a series of design decisions over how best to rebuild. To do so, they will need to better understand how the medieval cathedral was constructed in the first place.

But the goal of restoration is not always to replicate the past, and modern tastes and technologies may influence how damaged structures are reimagined. 

BBVYyYp.img?h=416&w=624&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

Gila River

7fca32ea6876d656fffe74e861ef6093_origina

• Love 10

Yes I was bartending as it happened and the patrons were so sad sniffling into their drinks while it occurred and just before Easter of all times! I have to say that seems a bit suspicious. 

The Pinault family graciously volunteered over $300 million for repairs and later the Arnault family pledged $200 million but of course the history significance and artistic value are lost forever 😔 

Are you guys excited for Spring? George is all about it and being at the park or walking which of course I enjoy. I also plan to take him to all the dog friendly festivals in Chicago including (naturally) Vegan Fest (that’s over a month away and I’m already obsessing over all the food I’m going to scarf, I need help). 

@peacheslatour how are you? @jewel21 how’s Steve?! 

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Yes I was bartending as it happened and the patrons were so sad sniffling into their drinks while it occurred and just before Easter of all times! I have to say that seems a bit suspicious. 

The Pinault family graciously volunteered over $300 million for repairs and later the Arnault family pledged $200 million but of course the history significance and artistic value are lost forever 😔 

Are you guys excited for Spring? George is all about it and being at the park or walking which of course I enjoy. I also plan to take him to all the dog friendly festivals in Chicago including (naturally) Vegan Fest (that’s over a month away and I’m already obsessing over all the food I’m going to scarf, I need help). 

Face is better. My nose has gone back to normal, duck lips are gone, just a slight black eye still. The cracked ribs are the only thing still bothering me- damn that hurts!

• Holy Wednesday-- In the New Testament account of Holy Week, after Palm Sunday, the Sanhedrin gathered and plotted to kill Jesus before the feast of Pesach. On the Wednesday before his death, Jesus was in Bethany, in the house of Simon the Leper. As he sat at the supper table with his disciples, a woman named Mary anointed Jesus' head and feet with a costly oil of spikenard. The disciples were indignant, asking why the oil was not instead sold and the money given to the poor. But Judas Iscariot wanted to keep the money for himself. Then Judas went to the Sanhedrin and offered to deliver Jesus to them in exchange for money. From this moment on, Judas sought an opportunity to betray Jesus. 
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Face is better. My nose has gone back to normal, duck lips are gone, just a slight black eye still. The cracked ribs are the only thing still bothering me- damn that hurts!

What happened to you, Peaches?

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:
  • Holy Wednesday-- In the New Testament account of Holy Week, after Palm Sunday, the Sanhedrin gathered and plotted to kill Jesus before the feast of Pesach. On the Wednesday before his death, Jesus was in Bethany, in the house of Simon the Leper. As he sat at the supper table with his disciples, a woman named Mary anointed Jesus' head and feet with a costly oil of spikenard. The disciples were indignant, asking why the oil was not instead sold and the money given to the poor. But Judas Iscariot wanted to keep the money for himself. Then Judas went to the Sanhedrin and offered to deliver Jesus to them in exchange for money. From this moment on, Judas sought an opportunity to betray Jesus. 

What happened to you, Peaches?

I fainted and fell flat on my face. Now I know why there is special cold medicine for people with high blood pressure.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 5
50 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I fainted and fell flat on my face. Now I know why there is special cold medicine for people with high blood pressure.

Ouch!

I didn't know that OTC meds can cause issues with high-blood pressure. Rest those ribs.

• Love 5

i also have hb and stay away from things like neo citran and store brand cold remedies.

my dr. in squamish told me not to use them.

i remember taking a pkg. of weight loss tea to him to see if i could drink it and he flat out told me NO and to stay away from that kind of stuff because of the ingredients in it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

has anyone ever brined chicken breasts?

i was looking at roast ck. breast recipes and one of them said brine for at least 15 min. but not more than 6 hrs..

even tho you wash the brine off, doesn't it still taste salty?

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

i was looking at roast ck. breast recipes and one of them said brine for at least 15 min. but not more than 6 hrs..

I have and yes after you rinse the brine off much of the salty flavor is gone. Is it worth it? Debatable. I even made a chicken breast sous vide. Best chicken salad I've ever had,

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Steve has been molting for the past little while and there are feathers everywhere. He also has a lot of blood feathers and pin feathers coming in so he looks a bit rough right now, like a tatty teddy, heh. I need to give him a shower/misting this weekend. I keep forgetting but it'll help with all the keratin that's coming off the feathers as he's opening them up.  Thanks for asking and I'm glad George is enjoying the spring 😄

• Love 10
3 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

I'm a big brine believer, especially whole chickens.  For me, doing that has always meant moist white meat and we've never found the chicken salty.

Breasts alone can be harder, I think.  The first time I did it, I left them too long and the meat was definitely too salty.  Now I do a light brine for an hour or two and the meat stays moist but not salty. 

What brining recipe do they give?

• Love 4
15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

The cracked ribs thing is a trial. It will take a long time to heal.  Take care of yourself, and use ice/heat, whichever works, but there is not much else to do. 🙁

• Love 6
3 hours ago, bannana said:

The cracked ribs thing is a trial. It will take a long time to heal.

Ooh, yes. I had that once and it hurt for a long time. It was my right side and then, one day, my left side started hurting just the same which was really weird but somebody told me that happened to them too with a broken rib. I don't know why it happened and it didn't last long but it was weird so don't be surprised if that happens.

• Love 4
  • Maundy Thursday -- "Maundy" comes from the Latin word mandatum, or commandment, reflecting Jesus' words "I give you a new commandment." … A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. John 13:34 KJV

Maundy Thursday initiates the Easter Triduum, the period which commemorates the passion, death, and resurrection of Jesus; this period includes Good Friday and Holy Saturday, and ends on the evening of Easter. The Mass of the Lord's Supper or service of worship is normally celebrated in the evening, when Friday begins according to Jewish tradition, as the Last Supper was held on the feast of Passover, according to the three Synoptic Gospels.

imag22.1.jpg

Where the clocks don't measure time, but radiation

There's been an increasing interest in touring the Exclusion Zones surrounding Chernobyl, and parts of Belarus and the Ukraine. I follow a Russian blogger, elenafilatova.com, and her many motorcycle trips to Chernobyl. 

Notre Dame Cathedral related news:

• Love 6
18 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I have and yes after you rinse the brine off much of the salty flavor is gone. Is it worth it? Debatable. I even made a chicken breast sous vide. Best chicken salad I've ever had,

14 hours ago, boes said:

I'm a big brine believer, especially whole chickens.  For me, doing that has always meant moist white meat and we've never found the chicken salty.

Breasts alone can be harder, I think.  The first time I did it, I left them too long and the meat was definitely too salty.  Now I do a light brine for an hour or two and the meat stays moist but not salty. 

I like to brine too, and prefer chicken on the bone with skin, but you still have to proceed carefully with poultry; too much time in the brine breaks down the meat, ending in a mushy result. Adding dry herbs or crushed garlic to the brining solution imparts flavor, too. Brining has become popular because commercial meat is raised with less fat content, and fat used to impart umami flavor and keep meat moist during the cooking process. Without the fat the meat dries out before it's cooked through, so brining became an easy process to add flavor and moisture.

Steven Raichlen has several brine recipes; he primarily barbecues, but the recipes can be used for oven roasting. 

Enjoy!

• Love 5
14 hours ago, boes said:

PLL for the last while has been using an olive-oil based marinade with lemon juice & zest, garlic, fresh thyme, & salt & pepper for whole chickens.

If it's a little 3--4 lb chicken, she flattens them, removes the wishbone stuff up front & backbone--these cook really fast & stay very moist.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Mr.Stunt is packing the car; leaving LA to join my family for Easter. Thing 1&2 will be with us Friday night. The Stunt in-laws are celebrating Easter in Hawaii. 

What are your plans?

Imma nurse my cracked rib by eating my weight in ice cream.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
44 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Mr.Stunt is packing the car; leaving LA to join my family for Easter. Thing 1&2 will be with us Friday night. The Stunt in-laws are celebrating Easter in Hawaii. 

What are your plans?

Not much here, low key Easter dinner with a few friends invited to stop by.  

The weekend is going to be a warm one so morning and evening hours will be spent gardening - weeding, fertilizing and planting the tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini and herbs, cutting way back this year on vegetable variety.  Back and legs have been sending me messages.....

• Love 7
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Imma nurse my cracked rib by eating my weight in ice cream.

Atta' girl, Peaches!

3 hours ago, boes said:

Not much here, low key Easter dinner with a few friends invited to stop by.  

The weekend is going to be a warm one so morning and evening hours will be spent gardening - weeding, fertilizing and planting the tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini and herbs, cutting way back this year on vegetable variety.  Back and legs have been sending me messages.....

Dinner with friends sounds lovely. The weather has been perfect for gardening.

Mr.Stunt got the raised boxes cleaned and planted last weekend while I was working the Coachella carnival. The only gardening I've done is pull cacti from cold frame storage, seed lettuces and repot the geraniums and lemongrass. 

• Love 6
  • Passover -- Begins at sunset, April 19, and ends nightfall, April 27 (8 days) -- Also called Pesach, is a biblically derived Jewish holiday. Jews celebrate Passover as a commemoration of their liberation by God from slavery in ancient Egypt and their freedom as a nation under the leadership of Moses. It commemorates the story of the Exodus as described in the Hebrew Bible, especially in the Book of Exodus, in which the Israelites were freed from slavery in Egypt. According to standard biblical chronology, this event would have taken place at about 1300 BCE.
  • How Harry Potter and emoji became part of Passover -- The Haggadah, the centuries-old text that accompanies the Passover Seder, is getting a pop culture makeover.
  • Good Friday -- A Christian holiday commemorating the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and his death at Calvary. It is observed during Holy Week as part of the Paschal Triduum on the Friday preceding Easter Sunday, and may coincide with the Jewish observance of Passover.

Bemalte-Ostereier-225x300.jpg

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 5
  • Holy Saturday -- Commemorates the day that Jesus' body lay in the tomb.

?m=02&d=20190419&t=2&i=1378412824&w=780&

People belonging to a caravan of migrants traveling from Honduras to the United States walk across a bridge as they leave Tapachula, Mexico April 15. REUTERS/Jose Cabezas

• Why measles is back in the US  -- My brother's six month old granddaughter is recovering from being hospitalized five days with the measles. Being too young to be vaccinated, she was infected by a neighbor, just recovering from the measles, delivering Girl Scout cookies. Ruth is a wide-open child, and greeted the Girl Scout at the door with a hug.
Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 4

@Cupid Stunt I’m vegan 🌱 but believe in feeding animals their natural diets. George is carnivorous. But I think dogs can survive vegan, cats can’t because of taurine. 

@peacheslatour no because the painter can’t landscape and paint at the same time, plus speaking as a service and retail gal we love any work we can get! I have actually complimented customers who were candid. 

• Love 5
  • Easter -- Easter, also called Pascha (Greek, Latin) or Resurrection Sunday, is a festival and holiday commemorating the resurrection of Jesus from the dead, described in the New Testament as having occurred on the third day after his burial following his crucifixion by the Romans at Calvary c. 30 AD. It is the culmination of the Passion of Jesus, preceded by Lent (or Great Lent), a 40-day period of fasting, prayer, and penance.

tenor.gif

Peace be with you, your family and friends this Easter Day.

• Love 7

I live in Montreal, but I'm in the suburbs, and way too landlocked for any flooding, thankfully. I do know of one patient who might have a flooding issue and mentioned she might not be able to keep her appointment as a result. 

• Love 3

Happy Earth Day!

s-l1000.jpg

gallery-brian_skerry-021-740x493.jpg

A California sea lion hunts for fish on a kelp paddy at Cortes Bank, a seamount off the coast of San Diego. 

According to the National Climate Assessment, climate change has already affected the US in significant ways. The change in temperatures from around the country, specifically the “1991-2012 average temperature compared with 1901-1960 average”. Climate change? More like climate changed.

broad-city-earth-day-1555903448.gif

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 6

UCLA gymnast Katelyn Ohashi's final collegiate gymnastic floor routine on Saturday at the national championship meet.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 2:11 PM, Petunia13 said:

@Cupid Stunt I’m vegan 🌱 but believe in feeding animals their natural diets. George is carnivorous. But I think dogs can survive vegan, cats can’t because of taurine.

At Melvin's last vet appointment, the new vet tech was waxing romantic on a vegan diet for our cat. As you pointed out, the veterinarian disagreed, saying vegan diets for pets too often cause many more problems than they solve.

Considering Melvin's in good health, and is a fussy cat food eater, who supplements his diet with bugs, field mice, voles, lizards and salamanders when available, I'm not putting myself through the torment of a dietary change. The scowling, ignored feeder bowl, and random, small mammal carcasses proudly displayed aren't worth it. Melvin's feline brain has no toleration for change in his domain. 

One reason I've been posting articles about faux-meat products, its production and availability, is that people may have an interest trying them, but want to taste-test it first. An easy way to do that is through national restaurant franchises that are featuring the products. This is also a sea-change for commercial food producers and brands investing millions of dollars into these food products, and could change national eating habits.

I think we need to understand how these products are made, who's producing them, the environmental issues involved, and the caloric and nutritional value.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 8

I don't believe in turning our animals vegan unless they are naturally meant to only eat veggies like bunnies. Cats and dogs are carnivores and I refuse to deny them that right. It just seems cruel to me to force them to alter their diet to mimic my own. 

On another topic, if you had the opportunity to go to Europe for the first time ever for 9 days, would you go, even if it meant putting your bird in boarding. Keep in mind your bird doesn't eat when you're not there and you fear he might die while your gone. I'm so torn. I want to go but I'm totally worried about Steve. Boarding is at the vet so if he doesn't eat, they can incubate him (force feed) but still, I don't know what to do. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I don't believe in turning our animals vegan unless they are naturally meant to only eat veggies like bunnies. Cats and dogs are carnivores and I refuse to deny them that right. It just seems cruel to me to force them to alter their diet to mimic my own. 

On another topic, if you had the opportunity to go to Europe for the first time ever for 9 days, would you go, even if it meant putting your bird in boarding. Keep in mind your bird doesn't eat when you're not there and you fear he might die while your gone. I'm so torn. I want to go but I'm totally worried about Steve. Boarding is at the vet so if he doesn't eat, they can incubate him (force feed) but still, I don't know what to do. 

Go to Europe, and know that Steve will be fine.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Gorillaa-470x264.jpg

The Climate Never Sleeps:

4825ebf4cf11a35bb90afa962e2efdad.jpg

Blooming Blue Elf Aloe

10 hours ago, jewel21 said:

A friend of ours has a African Grey that is boarded. They made several 3 hour recordings of the family talking at a meal, reading out loud, playing a board game to be played to keep Max company while he's at the vet. It seems to comfort him and give some continuity hearing familiar voices and sounds in the home.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Happy birthday to me!  I need some laughs to offset the tears of today's show (which, incidentally, was totally ruined for me because that leering swamp creature couldn't keep his web-hands off of Lily).  I told the folks at CBS that Cane is the Nickelback of soap opera characters.  I lied.  He's ten times worse than that.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5