Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

While ‘Old Town Road’ incorporates references to country and cowboy imagery, it does not embrace enough elements of today’s country music to chart in its current version.” Through a representative, Lil Nas X declined a request to comment on Billboard‘s decision.

LOL  not enuff allusions to fornicating, drinking and gambling?

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, Capricasix said:

It’s a great song. I confess I’d never heard of the artist until this remix was all over Twitter this morning - I thought it was connected somehow to Red Dead Redemption

That's a fantastic idea! 

The only reason this has become a thing in the media is that Lil Nas X turned the grey area reasoning of Billboard's chart reassignment into a marketing opportunity by remixing Old Town Road with Country outlier Billy Ray Cyrus, added a new verse, with fattened up engineering. 

The timing of the remix popularity, the PR blackeye, and media steamroller all comes on the cusp of the 54th Academy of Country Music Awards show this Sunday. Oops.

Many remixes are shadows of the original, but Lil Nas X used Billy Ray's very practiced country torch and twang vocal inflection to excellent effect, which makes it thoroughly palatable for Country radio and the Billboard Country charts. The best part is that it still crosses several music genres, making the TPTB very nervous on one hand, while itching for those cross chart dollars with the other -- Oh, the paroxysms of MBAs running in tight Ivy League circles on how to take advantage of this gift of free PR and self-production that just dropped in their lap.

My real question is to Lil Nas X's representation at Columbia, his record label. They dropped the ball spectacularly, because Lil Nas X produced the original Old Town Road on his own, and it was picked up and spread by his fans across the Internet and request radio The remix was produced and distributed the same way by Lil Nas X, and a whole new group of fans picked it up and ran with it. Columbia is choking on their dust.

Not many artists have had successful designations on multiple charts (Shania Twain, Steve Earle, Dusty Springfield, Frank Sinatra, Aretha Franklin, to name a few). It troubles the waters of rigid cultural thinking for consumers/music producers/music media, and forces marketing departments to think past genre bracketing (Ouch!) in the music divisions of media monopolies.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

It's National No Housework Day! -- No problem.

Nancy Pelosi named recipient of Profile in Courage Award

How humanity’s idea of who deserves moral concern has grown — and will keep growing. -- Should animals, plants, and robots have the same rights as you?

RuNv1Fa.gif?noredirect

Polish priest apologises for Harry Potter book burning -- Priest says the public destruction of ‘evil’ items, including JK Rowling’s books and Buddhist figurines, was not intended to condemn specific authors or religions 

giphy.gif

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 4/1/2019 at 4:47 AM, peacheslatour said:

When I was in sixth grade we had a sit in in the principal's office so we could wear pants to school. That was in 1969. WTF?

I worked as a banquet server in the 90s. Our uniform was a (polyester) tuxedo. The women had to wear the skirt version. With opaque tights. Our shifts were super physical and sometimes 15 hours long. I loathed that uniform. 

@Cupid Stunt I love that school lunch redo story!

@peacheslatour Happy belated birthday!

• Love 9
10 hours ago, jpagan05 said:

I worked as a banquet server in the 90s. Our uniform was a (polyester) tuxedo. The women had to wear the skirt version. With opaque tights. Our shifts were super physical and sometimes 15 hours long. I loathed that uniform. 

@Cupid Stunt I love that school lunch redo story!

@peacheslatour Happy belated birthday!

As a former parochial school student, uniforms make me automatically want to hitch up my skirt and tie the blouse like a belly shirt.

45872E7B00000578-0-image-m-182_150853814

There are many school districts in the US that are working on alternatives to the "ketchup as a vegetable" mentality from federal and state education departments. Who better deserves real food than our children?

27 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Thanks, jpagan! 

Hmmm Primetimer. Can we still call ourselves Preverts?

We'll always be Preverts.

; )

• LOL 6
  • Love 6

when i went to catholic school we had to wear a jumper w. long sleeve white shirt and blue tie...i could never do up the top button on my shirt (still can't) cause i have a terrible gag reflex and can't stand anything tight around my throat.

i did roll the waist up on my skirts when in high school tho..

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

when i went to catholic school we had to wear a jumper w. long sleeve white shirt and blue tie...i could never do up the top button on my shirt (still can't) cause i have a terrible gag reflex and can't stand anything tight around my throat.

i did roll the waist up on my skirts when in high school tho..

I can't wear turtlenecks for the same reason. To quote the immortal Mitch Hedberg:

"I wear V-neck shirts. I can't wear a regular neck shirt, it hurts. And I especially hate turtlenecks. Wearing a turtleneck is like being strangled by a really weak guy. All day! If you wear a backpack and a turtleneck, it's like a weak m***** trying to bring you down. "

• LOL 5
  • Love 7

LOL when i was in grade 8 the movie taras bulba came out...tony curtis starred in it and he was a cossack.

cossack boots became the rage, at least where i lived.  i got a pair and loved them..black patent mid calf high with just a regular shoe  sole.  i was hauled into the principals office because school policy banned boots being worn to class.  you had to change into shoes once you were inside...i explained to the principal that these weren't really "boots" like snow boots or rain boots but were more like shoes..i was reminded "boots" were banned....i wore them anyway.

LOL  i also had a "ben casey" shirt that i wore just like the actor did in the show...🤣

• LOL 7
  • Love 4

Since the threads are kind of quiet today, I think I'll tell a funny story on myself.

Last week we had Taco Time taco's. I had a cold so I only ate half of mine. The next day I wanted to reheat it but I didn't want the lettuce and tomato part to get all gross so I came up with genius idea. I would steam it with the meat/cheese side down. I put a small pot of water on the stove and placed my PLASTIC colander in it. I then, in my mania, plopped  the taco, paper wrapper still on into the colander. As the flames reached for the ceiling and the colander melted all over the stove, I reacted to it "Aha, grease fire!" I threw a bag of flour on it and guess what? That's right, it made it WORSE. I then tried frantically to smash it out using pot lids. This did not work. I finally threw water on it. It was out. Just then, my DH, who had forgotten his lunch walked through the front door, took in the scene before him. His insane wife grinned crookedly and said "Um, we had a small fire." He nodded briefly, grabbed his lunch and backed out the way he had come. Needless to say, I needed a new colander, so I ordered a stainless steel one from Amazon. It came the next day.

• LOL 15
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Since the threads are kind of quiet today, I think I'll tell a funny story on myself.

Last week we had Taco Time taco's. I had a cold so I only ate half of mine. The next day I wanted to reheat it but I didn't want the lettuce and tomato part to get all gross so I came up with genius idea. I would steam it with the meat/cheese side down. I put a small pot of water on the stove and placed my PLASTIC colander in it. I then, in my mania, plopped  the taco, paper wrapper still on into the colander. As the flames reached for the ceiling and the colander melted all over the stove, I reacted to it "Aha, grease fire!" I threw a bag of flour on it and guess what? That's right, it made it WORSE. I then tried frantically to smash it out using pot lids. This did not work. I finally threw water on it. It was out. Just then, my DH, who had forgotten his lunch walked through the front door, took in the scene before him. His insane wife grinned crookedly and said "Um, we had a small fire." He nodded briefly, grabbed his lunch and backed out the way he had come. Needless to say, I needed a new colander, so I ordered a stainless steel one from Amazon. It came the next day.

I feel bad with how loudly I've been laughing at what happened to you but but but but I can't help it!  

The visuals are perfect from the pot to colander to wrapped taco to flames to the flour to husband backing out the way he came in.  

But at least he left with his lunch and you're there with a HUGE mess and tacoless.

Isn't it amazing how this shit happens, our brain tells us what to do next and our brains are worthless??

Oh peacheslatour, you done killed me ####Dead####

• LOL 6
  • Love 7
(edited)
12 minutes ago, boes said:

I feel bad with how loudly I've been laughing at what happened to you but but but but I can't help it!  

The visuals are perfect from the pot to colander to wrapped taco to flames to the flour to husband backing out the way he came in.  

But at least he left with his lunch and you're there with a HUGE mess and tacoless.

Isn't it amazing how this shit happens, our brain tells us what to do next and our brains are worthless??

Oh peacheslatour, you done killed me ####Dead####

For my next act I'll tell you how I broke my nose last Friday night. 🤕

The best part is now I have glamorous bee stung lips that celebs pay big buck s for.😎

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 5
15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

For my next act I'll tell you how I broke my nose last Friday night. 🤕

The best part is now I have glamorous bee stung lips that celebs pay big buck s for.😎

Do you have blackeyes to go along with that broken nose?

; )

You're fortunate the fire wasn't worse, Peaches. As you've already found out, flour is very flammable.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

my daughter called me this morning while on her way to work...she has bluetooth so she's not holding her cell.

anyway, she told me that dawnica's (my grand) math teacher asked her to be in the math competition coming up..

when dawnica told her about it, teri's comment was "but you don't like math", to which her reply was "just because i don't like math doesn't mean that i'm not good at it".

she is looking foreward to next year when she is in grade 10 because then she will get letter grades instead of what they do now...apparently she is supposed to self assess or something..the comment with her course is something like "above expectations" or something like that..

• Love 12
1 hour ago, valleycliffe said:

my daughter called me this morning while on her way to work...she has bluetooth so she's not holding her cell.

anyway, she told me that dawnica's (my grand) math teacher asked her to be in the math competition coming up..

when dawnica told her about it, teri's comment was "but you don't like math", to which her reply was "just because i don't like math doesn't mean that i'm not good at it".

she is looking foreward to next year when she is in grade 10 because then she will get letter grades instead of what they do now...apparently she is supposed to self assess or something..the comment with her course is something like "above expectations" or something like that..

Do encourage your granddaughter to pursue the math competition, Valley.

Whatever the theory is for self-assessment in her present math class, her teacher recognizes her aptitude and problem-solving skills, and is directing her toward more challenging work in mathematics. Many people that like math find it difficult and frustrating, too.

Gently remind your daughter that Dawnica listens to every word she says, and closely measures the tone of statements like "but you don't like math", and may hear Teri discouraging her to go out for the competition because her mother doesn't believe Dawnica is  interested enough in math to participate in a math competition … I'm not saying Teri isn't supportive, but teenagers often hear their unspoken insecurities echoed back at them from off-the-cuff conversations, and the walls go up.

14 to 16 is a tricky age; I was disciplined and studious one minute, then a prickly hellion the next. In a similar situation with Thing2, my mother laughed and laughed, then told me to wear a helmet. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Whatever the theory is for self-assessment in her present math class, her teacher recognizes her aptitude and problem-solving skills,

it's not just her math class/teacher cupid...this is a ruling in bc made in 2017.

apparently many teachers and parents thought that letter grades put too much pressure on the students and that many students were only interested in what grade they got..letter grades come back in grade 10 because the universities and colleges want to know what grades you got.

i am not sure if every school district has to implement it.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

it's not just her math class/teacher cupid...this is a ruling in bc made in 2017.

apparently many teachers and parents thought that letter grades put too much pressure on the students and that many students were only interested in what grade they got..letter grades come back in grade 10 because the universities and colleges want to know what grades you got.

i am not sure if every school district has to implement it.

Because specific expectations and deadlines are not required in the real world?

And only three years to catch up … just in case self-assessment isn't a strict enough guideline to keep children, and teachers, within graduation requirements.

The less you expect of a child, the more likely they'll live down to that expectation.

• Love 3

dawnica doesn't like "self assessment" she wants letter grades.

also, dawnica is very smart, quite witty and puts alot of pressure on herself.

i think she decided in grade 4 that she wants to be a marine biologist.

she also hates to spend money on herself cause she says its for her education and she wants to save it.  she also hopes to get some bursaries and/or scholarships too.

• Love 9

I imagine there are a lot of bright and motivated students that are disappointed with self-assessment outcomes. Encourage your granddaughter to ask for more instruction from her math and science teachers, maybe summer school.

Very cool that D is inspired to become a marine biologist. She is to be admired for that goal. It's a very long row to hoe.

• Love 5

when teri and troy were filling out dawnica's birth certificate / registration, teri wanted to spell her name danica.  troy pointed out that then it would be pronounced DANica so they added the "w" to make it sound like dawn.

• Love 5

00walmart1-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&a

• Each night, Walmart’s parking lots turn into America’s largest campground. Walmart is an example of a commercial third place…a place people go to socialize that isn’t home or the workplace. But like Starbucks and McDonald’s, Walmart also functions as a replacement home for some people. Across America, Walmart parking lots fill up with the vans, RVs, and cars of nomads, vacationers, and the homeless. El Monte RV provides a short guide to Walmart camping and Allstays has a list of Walmarts that allow overnight parking.

Drunk-robot.gif

Barcelona Series --

** Cute Alert **

20190129-rebeccasturniolo02.jpg?itok=Ba7

• Love 10

Why when I hear @peacheslatour stories I picture them so vividly and want to know more? You should have your own show like a mashup of A Christmas Story or Wonder Years growing up stuff and present day sitcom stuff. 

When the site name changed I immediately thought of y’all and our nickname 😊 

• LOL 5
2 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Why when I hear @peacheslatour stories I picture them so vividly and want to know more? You should have your own show like a mashup of A Christmas Story or Wonder Years growing up stuff and present day sitcom stuff. 

When the site name changed I immediately thought of y’all and our nickname 😊 

Thank you! I do have a lot of stories, shit just seems to happen to me. My mom used to just shake her head.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

More Black Hole News:

f-vulture-a-20190414-870x580.jpg

Dobrila, a female griffon vulture is seen inside a cage after arriving at the Nikola Tesla Airport in Belgrade, Serbia, April 12, 2019. REUTERS/Marko Djurica

iStock-944272718.jpg

**Product Recall**

fbac102bef757b7f61b3e251e59f8093.jpeg

A Muslim woman lifts her veil to identity herself to a polling agent before casting her vote in village Shahpur near Muzaffarnagar, Uttar Pradesh, India, Atul Loke / Getty Images

• Love 5

gen2-palm-sunday-andy-zapata-jr_2019-04-

A man crafts palm fronds to be blessed for Palm Sunday at the Baguio cathedral, Baguio, Philippines.

Barcelona Series:

Earth Day --  Monday, April 22

cc842ac0-0aaf-40eb-88ba-8e63a091b842.jpg

Earthrise from Kaguya spacecraft on the Moon -- JAXA/HDK/Nicolaus Wegner/2007

13945727719_7b74f0c631_z.jpg

North Atlantic right whale with calf

9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Wow, this site is messed up on mobile now.

2 hours ago, rcc said:

Yes it is.  I gave up and now it's fine on my tablet now.

It is frustrating.

• Love 7
  • Holy Monday of Holy Week -- The Gospel narrative tells of some of the events that happened on the day of the Biblical Holy Monday. Some of the most notable and recognizable of these were the cursing of the fig tree (Matthew 21:18-22, Mark 11:20-26), the questioning of Jesus' authority (Matthew 21:23-27), the Cleansing of the Temple and parables.
  • For his series of documentary short films, States of America, Brad Barber is profiling one person from each of the 50 US states : "In the United States, you might be born one place, go to school or work in another, then pack it up and move somewhere else for a thousand different reasons of choice or circumstance. You might have been born in another country. What is it that ties us to these places and makes us adopt them as our home? How does our state affect who we are and how we identify ourselves? What makes us from there?"

n-fukushimafuel-a-20141222-870x557.jpg

Endangered and Exotic Species News:

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:
  • Holy Monday of Holy Week -- The Gospel narrative tells of some of the events that happened on the day of the Biblical Holy Monday. Some of the most notable and recognizable of these were the cursing of the fig tree (Matthew 21:18-22, Mark 11:20-26), the questioning of Jesus' authority (Matthew 21:23-27), the Cleansing of the Temple and parables.
  • For his series of documentary short films, States of America, Brad Barber is profiling one person from each of the 50 US states : "In the United States, you might be born one place, go to school or work in another, then pack it up and move somewhere else for a thousand different reasons of choice or circumstance. You might have been born in another country. What is it that ties us to these places and makes us adopt them as our home? How does our state affect who we are and how we identify ourselves? What makes us from there?"

n-fukushimafuel-a-20141222-870x557.jpg

Endangered and Exotic Species News:

Liberty Mutual might want to rethink their ads.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I was wondering where you were. 😢

when i tried to get into forum on friday evening after we got back from trip to mainland to see my doctor it had changed to primetimer.  i clicked on sign in and then was told i didn't exist...so, then i tried to sign up with my regular email address and was then told i was a security risk..so i tried a different user name and was told i was a security risk..so then for the rest of sat. and sun. i could only read the threads.  i eventually decided to see if they were on facebook.  they were so i sent a dm telling them what happened, how it happened and if they could please help me...and they did....

oh no, notre dame in paris is on fire..😥

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

when i tried to get into forum on friday evening after we got back from trip to mainland to see my doctor it had changed to primetimer.  i clicked on sign in and then was told i didn't exist...so, then i tried to sign up with my regular email address and was then told i was a security risk..so i tried a different user name and was told i was a security risk..so then for the rest of sat. and sun. i could only read the threads.  i eventually decided to see if they were on facebook.  they were so i sent a dm telling them what happened, how it happened and if they could please help me...and they did....

oh no, notre dame in paris is on fire..😥

I know. My heart is breaking. Not only is it breathtakingly beautiful but it's the finest example of French Gothic architecture in the world. We stayed about a block from it when we were in Paris and walked by it every day for a week. My DH took some great pictures. 😭

• Love 5

Notre Dame was begun in 1163 and built for the next 200 years or so. It is stone and wood- so much old, old wood. I don’t see how in the world they can save it. We saw ND in 1982. It was astonishing to know how it was constructed and how enormous it was. 

• Love 3

on the news, the reporter said that the church had been undergoing some construction and repairs but they still didn't know how the fire started and wouldn't be able to figure it out until it's out...

i am just hoping it wasn't arson.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

on the news, the reporter said that the church had been undergoing some construction and repairs but they still didn't know how the fire started and wouldn't be able to figure it out until it's out...

i am just hoping it wasn't arson.

I think it started on the construction area, possibly electrical. You know, for once I'm glad my dad has Alzheimer's. This would kill him. He went back there every other year even though his family was from Brittany.

• Love 2

My grandmother and I waited in line to go to Easter mass in 1999. The first time I saw the building, it literally took my breathe away. It was raining and it looked so beautiful and dramatic. I'm crying. This is so sad.

• Love 2