Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

got a "recall" notice from my denturist so had my appt. yesterday.

told him my lower denture was making my mouth hurt and it was hard to eat..he said there was also a sore there...then he fixed my denture..

made all the difference...then he told me i had to have dentures relined...$700..le sigh.

guess i will put it on the credit card cause it has to be done..seems i have some bone loss..:(

I also had painful dental work last week and today.  My crown broke, but luckily it was under warranty so no cost to me, just the pain and unpleasantness involved...YAY!  Seriously, I was ecstatic to hear that it was under warranty.

I now have a gold tooth.  

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, bannana said:

I also had painful dental work last week and today.  My crown broke, but luckily it was under warranty so no cost to me, just the pain and unpleasantness involved...YAY!  Seriously, I was ecstatic to hear that it was under warranty.

I now have a gold tooth.  

Bannana, I know what you mean.

My teeth, nowadays, are the equivalent of the Gold Rush.

Thar's gold in them thar gums!

• Love 9

Two-time Grammy winner James Ingram, whose classic vocals and music writing defined the R&B signature style of the 1980s, died January 29. He was 66. 

When he was 18, Ingram joined a band called Revelation Funk and tried to make it in Los Angeles, the Chicago Tribune reported in a 2012 profile. Comparing himself to his bandmates, Ingram underestimated his own vocal abilities. "I knew I couldn't sing," he said. "I wasn't trying. I was just doing background." After the band broke up, Ingram stayed in L.A. and got great backup gigs, working with Ray Charles and Marvin Gaye. He would sing and write demos at a studio on Sunset Boulevard for $50 per song. The studio had a relationship with veteran producer Quincy Jones, who heard Ingram's recording of "Just Once." Jones, impressed, called Ingram. "I hung up on Quincy," he told the Tribune. "I was never no singer. I never shopped a deal, none of that. My wife said, 'James, that was Quincy.' He called back, and we started talking. I said, 'Yeah, that's me.' He put that on his album."

That was the moment Ingram was saved from side-gig obscurity. Ingram ended up singing that song and "One Hundred Ways" on Jones's 1981 album, "The Dude." Both songs ended up on the Top 20 of the Billboard Hot 100. Ingram's performance of "One Hundred Ways" won him the Grammy in 1981 for best male R&B performance. In 1984 he won his second Grammy, for "Yah Mo B There" with singer Michael McDonald. He also had two number one hits: "Baby Come to Me" in 1983, which he sang with Patti Austin; and "I Don't Have the Heart" in 1990. Throughout his career, Ingram was nominated for 14 Grammys.

Ingram was especially in demand as a collaborator, co-writing the Michael Jackson hit "P.Y.T." and enjoying cross-over appeal with Linda Ronstadt. With Ronstadt, he added his soulful rendition of "Somewhere Out There" to the ending credits of the movie "An American Tail."

While Ingram's cause of death has not been formally announced, the entertainment news outlet TMZ reports the singer died after a long battle with brain cancer.

"There are no words to convey how much my heart aches with the news of the passing of my baby brother," Jones wrote on Twitter. "With that soulful, whisky sounding voice, James was simply magical. He was, & always will be, beyond compare. Rest In Peace my baby bro...You'll be in my heart forever."

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7

Polar Vortex?  Polar Smortex....

It's a balmy -3 with a windchill of -32 here and Pearlite is getting socked worse than we are.  Hubby has been parking at the end of our 300' driveway since primary car has been stuck in the ice for almost 2wks.  Our other was totaled by a deer and we had to rent a car for a week till we bought another one Monday.  This morning it was blowing snow so bad I couldn't even see him walking out to the car.  But he made it to work so that's good.

I'm 67 and have seen my share of winters (Blizzard of 1978) and this is one for the record books.....

Is it April yet?

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

I have these great boots that help for walking on ice.  They are amazing and they have technology in the soles that actually allows you to walk on ice.  Made in Canada.  

https://pajar.com/collections/women-ice-grippers

But I also walk like a penguin.

Daily Penguin Walk at the Calgary Zoo

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, bannana said:

I have these great boots that help for walking on ice.  They are amazing and they have technology in the soles that actually allows you to walk on ice.  Made in Canada.  

https://pajar.com/collections/women-ice-grippers

I've seen those at Nordstom's; very nice boots.

When I went to Minneapolis with Mr.Stunt for the Pond Hockey Tournament in 2018, the weather was zero and barely above the entire weekend. I was swaddled in fleece layers and long johns, snow bibs, Canada Goose parka, polar mittens, fleece balaclava, Sorel Caribou boots, with Yaktrax.

The whole town was out and about for the tournament, marathon, bicycle race, cross county ski race, St.Paul Winter Carnival festivities and prepping for the Super Bowl the following weekend.

But I also walk like a penguin.

Daily Penguin Walk at the Calgary Zoo

Whatever works for you, Bannana.

PenguinWalk2015WM1.jpg

Magnificent birds.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Ugg -- Try leaving the under sink cabinets open and the pipes will slowly thaw out, hopefully without any damage.

Well, as luck would have it, PLL brought home from Yale a small space heater. She learned from the woman whose house & cat she's sitting [same vintage of house, kitchens always on the back in 1880s 1890s, and drain plumbing on exposed back walls] to put a small heater under the sink permanently in winter, and to leave it on low, with cupboard doors closed. Took about 3 hours but it worked.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

when we lived in northern bc in the 70's our basement was a dug out cistern...after the first couple of times having frozen or busted pipes, hubby learned about leaving just a light bulb on and it worked...sometimes when it was bitterly cold tho, we would leave a tap dripping to keep pipes open.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
27 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

when we lived in northern bc in the 70's our basement was a dug out cistern...after the first couple of times having frozen or busted pipes, hubby learned about leaving just a light bulb on and it worked...sometimes when it was bitterly cold tho, we would leave a tap dripping to keep pipes open.

Yup--left a note on the counter--on bright yellow paper--reading, "leave tap dripping" for the last few days... Unfortunately, suddenly no one could read...

• Love 7

In Remembrance of Fred Korematsu

100 years ago today, Fred Korematsu was born in Oakland, California. After being turned down for military service in 1940 for health related reasons he lost several jobs due to his Japanese heritage after Pearl Harbor was attacked. He underwent plastic surgery in order to pass as Latinx so he could work. Finally, Korematsu went into hiding to evade the internment camps. He was arrested in San Leandro and jailed in San Francisco. It was there that he was approached by the ACLU and the rest, as they say, is history.

"Several states celebrate Fred Korematsu Day on January 30, Korematsu’s birthday. Established in 2011, the “Fred Korematsu Day of Civil Liberties & the Constitution” honors the legacy of Korematsu, who resisted Japanese American incarceration during World War II. He was one of three who legally challenged imprisonment, all the way to the Supreme Court.

The issuance of Executive Order 9066 in February 1942 allowed for the removal of any persons from Western coastal areas. Although EO9066 did not specifically target Japanese Americans, it paved the way for the forcible removal of those of Japanese descent from their homes and into camps. In March, “Civilian Exclusion Orders” were posted for all those of Japanese ancestry in Washington, Oregon, California, and southern Arizona. The majority of those of Japanese descent in the US lived in these areas and two-thirds were native-born citizens of the United States. When faced with having to report to an assembly center, Oakland, California-born Fred Korematsu chose a different path. Korematsu, a 23-year old welder, stayed in Oakland with his Italian American girlfriend. He even had minor plastic surgery on his eyes and changed his name in an attempt to avoid recognition."

Long ago, Fred Korematsu was arrested in San Leandro, Calif., his home town, for defying an executive order that led to the expulsion or imprisonment of more than 100,000 Japanese Americans after Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. He later went to the Supreme Court to fight it, much as others now oppose President Trump’s executive order barring people from seven mostly majority-Muslim countries from entering the United States. Korematsu lost in 1944 and, although his criminal conviction was vacated in 1983, the case was not overturned.

More than 30 years after Korematsu challenged, for the second time, what is widely considered one of the most unjust government actions in U.S. history, the country watched another legal battle conclude, when the Supreme Court issued its decision in Trump v. Hawaii (Docket 17-965, June 26, 2018). The court upheld the administration's travel ban and overturned Korematsu’s case. The irony is that Korematsu’s vindication came as the Supreme Court actualized his worst fear by “racially profiling of a group because they looked like the enemy,” according to Fred Korematsu’s daughter, Karen.

“The Korematsu court presumed people were dangerous because they were of Japanese descent. Today, it is because they are from a particular country,” said Erwin Chemerinsky, who is dean of the University of California at Berkeley Law School and once called the Supreme Court’s ruling against Korematsu “one of the worst decisions in history.” Neither assumption, he said, is rooted in equal protection of the law. “In the majority opinion, Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. wrote, ‘Korematsu was gravely wrong the day it was decided.’ I think a future court will one day say [today’s decision] was a huge mistake,” Chemerinsky said.

“Korematsu may be overruled, but it’s not to be celebrated,” said Karen Korematsu. “Unfortunately with this decision, we are continuing to repeat history.”

For months, Karen Korematsu heard echoes of her father’s old warnings in the way Trump’s order cast suspicion on an entire class of people, and the way its defenders in court made claim to national security without citing any evidence against the people the order affected. She was reminded that during the campaign, Trump promised a broader ban on Muslim foreigners — as well as a registry of Muslims living in the United States. She was reminded that one of his top backers cited her father’s case as legal precedent for such things.

“Racial profiling was wrong in 1942 and racial profiling and religious profiling is wrong in 2018,” Karen Korematsu lamented. “The Supreme Court traded one injustice for another 74 years later.”

Korematsu was sent to the Central Utah War Relocation Camp in Topaz, Utah.

Topaz_site,_Utah_(19880897854)_bronze_pl

How can we keep saying ‘never again’, when it keeps happening?

For those interested, there are more resources at The Fred Korematsu Institute

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 9

I had a dream about Y&R. There was a big boom in the sky, and suddenly the show reset itself. No one remembered who they were, their past relationships, and some were dead. It was very strange and apocalyptic. 

Edited by jewel21
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10

Just before 7:30 a.m. Saturday, Punxsutawney Phil emerged from his burrow in Pennsylvania at sunrise and didn’t see his shadow. Nearly the same series of events unfolded about 300 miles to the east, where Staten Island Chuck’s handlers also revealed the same prediction. Groundhog predicts an early spring. Don't get too excited, he's usually wrong.

It's pouring rain here, with a flash flood warning since midnight with mud and debris flows in and around recent burn areas, roadway and low-lying area flooding.

2 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I had a dream about Y&R. There was a big boom in the sky, and suddenly the show reset itself. No one remembered who they were, their past relationships, and some were dead. It was very strange and apocalyptic. 

Still not feeling well, Jewel?

• Love 8
3 hours ago, jewel21 said:

oh, was mal still writing?

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Now that I would watch and enjoy!

Sad thing is Victor would survive....you know how those cock-a-roaches are.....

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

Well, we put my dad into a very nice senior living community yesterday. He has tried to walk out twice but they said he was easily persuaded to go back in. I hope he will be very happy there. He was so bored and lonely on his own but didn't want to give up the home he built and lived in for over fifty years with my mother. But it was time,  he was falling a lot and after I took his cars away he was bothering the neighbors for rides all the time. It's really a beautiful place, more like a resort than an old folks home.

• Love 11

he might enjoy it after the newness wears off peaches..there will be people around to talk to, probably a coffee pot that is always on or tea if he prefers.

lounge areas where they all gather..

best of all, there will be caregivers and medical attention around constantly should he fall again..

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

he might enjoy it after the newness wears off peaches..there will be people around to talk to, probably a coffee pot that is always on or tea if he prefers.

lounge areas where they all gather..

best of all, there will be caregivers and medical attention around constantly should he fall again..

Oh absolutely. There is a beautiful restaurant and movie theater. They have live entertainment twice a week and they go on really cool outings like a visit to the Tulip Festival and last week they went to the Columbia Tower, the tallest building in the state. The have a concierge service and a barber shop, hair salon and a gym. Hell, I wouldn't mind living there myself. Lol, he called me today and wanted me to take him somewhere. I said I will be seeing him tomorrow and he said he might not be there tomorrow and I said you have to, your roof is half torn off, being repaired. He goes Oh, that's right, I guess I'll just stay here then, shall I? I think he's going to be fine.

• Love 12
9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh absolutely. There is a beautiful restaurant and movie theater. They have live entertainment twice a week and they go on really cool outings like a visit to the Tulip Festival and last week they went to the Columbia Tower, the tallest building in the state. The have a concierge service and a barber shop, hair salon and a gym. Hell, I wouldn't mind living there myself. Lol, he called me today and wanted me to take him somewhere. I said I will be seeing him tomorrow and he said he might not be there tomorrow and I said you have to, your roof is half torn off, being repaired. He goes Oh, that's right, I guess I'll just stay here then, shall I? I think he's going to be fine.

That sounds super luxe.  It is tough to do what you did @peacheslatour, but from what you have been telling us, it was definitely time.  I think he will, after some adjustment time, enjoy the facility and the other residents.  My mom did not want to leave her house of 50 years, and I think we kids made a mistake and waited too long to move her.  We were trying to honour and respect her wishes but we were wrong.  It is not  a good thing to be isolated.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Gemini Gipsy said:

What part?

West Palm Beach. Even though I moved here from Maine, I've always been a Florida girl at heart. I lived in Satellite Beach 1st - 3rd grade, then junior and senior year of high school in Pompano Beach.

• Love 4

"The Ballot or the Bullet" -- Malcolm X (1925 - 1965) King Solomon Baptist Church, Detroit, Michigan - April 12, 1964

We had 3 inches of rain and the water was roiling over the curbs, with more rain expected today through Tuesday. Two main roads leading out of Nana's neighborhood are blocked from mudslides and emergency crews. Mr.Stunt found a dog huddling in the entryway last night, and brought him into the garage. He'll take Mickey (tags) to the pound this morning to be reunited with his owners. 

What to Watch on Super Bowl Sunday Instead of Football

The Lumière brothers were among the first filmmakers in history and from 1896 to 1900, they shot several scenes around Paris. Guy Jones remastered the Lumière’s Paris footage, stabilized it, slowed it down to a natural rate, and added some Foley sound effects. As Paris today looks very similar to how it did then, it’s easy to pick out many of the locations seen in this short compilation: the Tuileries, the Notre-Dame, Place de la Concorde, and of course the Eiffel Tower, which was completed only 8 years before filming. Here’s the full location listing:

0:08 - Notre-Dame Cathedral (1896)
0:58 - Alma Bridge (1900)
1:37 - Avenue des Champs-Élysées (1899)
2:33 - Place de la Concorde (1897)
3:24 - Passing of a fire brigade (1897)
3:58 - Tuileries Garden (1896)
4:48 - Moving walkway at the Paris Exposition (1900)
5:24 - The Eiffel Tower from the Rives de la Seine à Paris (1897)

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Cupid Stunt said:

We had 3 inches of rain and the water was roiling over the curbs, with more rain expected today through Tuesday. Two main roads leading out of Nana's neighborhood are blocked from mudslides and emergency crews. Mr.Stunt found a dog huddling in the entryway last night, and brought him into the garage. He'll take Mickey (tags) to the pound this morning to be reunited with his owners.

The Lumière brothers were among the first filmmakers in history and from 1896 to 1900, they shot several scenes around Paris. Guy Jones remastered the Lumière’s Paris footage, stabilized it, slowed it down to a natural rate, and added some Foley sound effects. As Paris today looks very similar to how it did then, it’s easy to pick out many of the locations seen in this short compilation: the Tuileries, the Notre-Dame, Place de la Concorde, and of course the Eiffel Tower, which was completed only 8 years before filming. Here’s the full location listing:

0:08 - Notre-Dame Cathedral (1896)
0:58 - Alma Bridge (1900)
1:37 - Avenue des Champs-Élysées (1899)
2:33 - Place de la Concorde (1897)
3:24 - Passing of a fire brigade (1897)
3:58 - Tuileries Garden (1896)
4:48 - Moving walkway at the Paris Exposition (1900)
5:24 - The Eiffel Tower from the Rives de la Seine à Paris (1897)

Bless you for bringing in the poor dog!

Lumieres! Just finished teaching that stuff [once again for so many years]!

• Love 6

Is it possible to catch flu on the net?

If so I curse you jewel21!  Twice...

I got really (I mean really) the sickest I have been in a loooong time.  It was weird.  I had felt fine all day, got my chores done, hubs was bringing home food since I'd been cooking from the freezer/pantry for 2 wks due to our lovely weather and right as he got home it hit.  Barf/runs all the fun stuff and when I got up to the bathroom I was dizzy.  Went to bed at 7:30, slept till 8am.  Food still in fridge for today...I think I'll be ready to eat sometime.  Still feel like shit but better.

The second curse is in my fevered dreams it was all Mia/Rey Rey/Arturo.

Thank you very little......

• Love 9

i haven't had the flu in quite a few years...i get a flu shot every year.

when we lived in squamish, my dr. there advised me to get them due to taking immunosuppressants for my ra.

this last time we had to have them done at the pharmacy as all the public flu clinics seemed to be for just families with little children.

feel better soon ohio....

• Love 9
58 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Is it possible to catch flu on the net?

If so I curse you jewel21!  Twice...

I got really (I mean really) the sickest I have been in a loooong time.  It was weird.  I had felt fine all day, got my chores done, hubs was bringing home food since I'd been cooking from the freezer/pantry for 2 wks due to our lovely weather and right as he got home it hit.  Barf/runs all the fun stuff and when I got up to the bathroom I was dizzy.  Went to bed at 7:30, slept till 8am.  Food still in fridge for today...I think I'll be ready to eat sometime.  Still feel like shit but better.

The second curse is in my fevered dreams it was all Mia/Rey Rey/Arturo.

Thank you very little......

Oh, Ohiosongbird, my sympathies.  That's the worst, exhausted and nauseous and the rest...I hope you start feeling less dreadful soon.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

West Palm Beach. Even though I moved here from Maine, I've always been a Florida girl at heart. I lived in Satellite Beach 1st - 3rd grade, then junior and senior year of high school in Pompano Beach.

Very nice! You know what's crazy is I still have yet to make it to the Atlantic side. You make it to the gulf side a lot? We have a place in Ft Myers. Would have preferred Longboat ot Sarasota but nothing beats florida no matter where you are. :)

• Love 3

Just an FYI: flu shots are for upper respiratory viral in factions not for gastric ailments which are not actually a flu. Flu shots do not make you sick but do take 10 days before one is protected. Some years, the protection offered doesn’t cover all the strains out there but some protection is better than none. Sorry if I sound preachy, old retired RN here.

There is a horrid gastric bug going around. DD ( a teacher ) and SIL had it last week. Continuous vomiting accompanied by uncontrollable runs. Utterly gross . 

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

according to tmz, kristoff st. john was found dead...he was 52.

rest in peace kristoff.

TMZ Link

Mary Frances Berry (1938 - ) 100th Anniversary of Plessy v. Ferguson -- Howard University, Washington, D.C. - November 14, 1996

Ten earthquakes strike the coast of Northern California in less than 24 hours 

Blizzard, avalanche warnings for California

Review of the Halftime show at the Super Bowl -- giphy.gif

23 hours ago, pearlite said:

Bless you for bringing in the poor dog!

Micky's owners were very happy to see him. It makes sense to chip your pets.

• Love 8

Sad news, everyone - Kristoff St. John (our Neil) is dead at 52:  https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/04/entertainment/kristoff-st-john-dead/index.html 

Early reports are saying alcohol overdose. What a tragic loss, especially after all he's been through after his son took his own life. :(
RIP. 

ETA - sorry, this should be in the Reel to Reel category!!! It is already posted there. Sorry. :(

Edited by lightninggirl
  • Love 6