Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

On 12/26/2018 at 10:48 AM, Cupid Stunt said:

tngqe7pryn601.jpg

That is an Olympic level hugger and snuggly nap expert 🤩😍 for some reason any dog with a pinch of poodle and doodles are experts at this stuff. 

@AngelKitty your holiday sounded wonderful! Truly heartfelt and meaningful. I thought of you and your loved ones on Christmas Day. 

@jewel21 how his handsome man doing? 

• Love 11

That puppy is adorable, Cupid Stunt. I love animals that I can snuggle with, it makes me miss my dog and kitty from when I was a teen. 

Petunia - thanks for asking about Steve. I brought him to the vet on Saturday with the help of my cousin. We Ubered both ways (my first time ever in an Uber) which ended up costing $60 in all, but it was nice not to have to travel over an hour and half just one way. They didn't find anything wrong with Steve. The vet who normally sees him doesn't work Saturdays which I was not aware of...he ended up being seen by another vet who also works at the Montreal hospital where I used to bring Steve. She had treated him once and was familiar with him and his case. She suggested if he's not doing better, we could draw blood in a few weeks, either there or at the Montreal hospital. She didn't want to do it when we were there because Steve is a difficult draw and her vet tech didn't have a lot of experience drawing blood. We clipped his nails and that seems to have made a difference. From the moment I brought him home he started flying again and sitting on top of his cage for hours. My only concern is his appetite has been down since I brought him to the vet, but it seems to slowly be increasing. 

How is Georgie doing?

• Love 12

Re: Boxing Day/Post-Christmas Shopping -- The bleak hope of the day-after-Christmas sale

To all the Christmas/New Year babies out there, I hope you have/having a very Happy Birthday with all the trimmings!

happy-birthday-for-her-62.gif

Thinking of you (((Bea))).

It's a Dalek Christmas!

736a228dcfddaec02f0baaceac4f61ac.600x.jp

The laundry basket helmet, weed whacker spool for a lens, paint roller and toilet plunger appendages are a brilliant use of easily accessible materials. The pink artificial tree would be a treasure hunt, but odd colored bottle-brush trees are around.

• Love 9

My google page showed a picture of an LA Newscaster that was found dead in a hotel room from a possible drug overdose. I thought he looked familiar so I clicked on the link and it turns out he worked for  KTLA and did the morning show. I get KTLA as part of my Superstations package and would watch him from time to time on Sunday mornings before my shower. It sucks, I remember thinking he was funny. 

• Love 7

Go California ❤️ they are banning the sale of pet dogs, cats and rabbits and becoming a rescue only state! This is wonderful news! In the Netherlands they’ve had the same policy a long time and because of that no animal euthanasia!!! 

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Go California ❤️ they are banning the sale of pet dogs, cats and rabbits and becoming a rescue only state! This is wonderful news! In the Netherlands they’ve had the same policy a long time and because of that no animal euthanasia!!! 

What about breeders? Not the puppy mill kind but the legit ones?

• Love 3
On 12/30/2018 at 4:12 PM, Petunia13 said:

This is the best news, Go Cali

• Love 8

Pasadena always tries to top the previous year's parade …

Too soon?

Ray Sawyer of Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show, dies at 81 after short illness

Former Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show vocalist Ray Sawyer has died at the age of 81. It was reported December 21st that Sawyer had died in Daytona Beach, Florida following a brief illness. A representative for the band later confirmed the singer’s death.

Born in Chickasaw, Alabama, Sawyer founded Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show with Dennis Locorriere, Billy Francis and George Cummings and was with the band from 1969 to 1981. A few years before the band’s formation, Sawyer lost his right eye in a car accident and he wore an eyepatch which made him resemble the Peter Pan villain Captain Hook, which served as the inspiration for the Dr. Hook moniker. In 1970, Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show’s demo tapes wound up in the hands of author and songwriter Shel Silverstein. The band would later enjoy mainstream success with Silverstein-written tracks including ‘Sylvia’s Mother’ and ‘The Cover of ‘Rolling Stone’ and release two albums of Silverstein-penned songs, 1971’s Dr. Hook and 1972’s Sloppy Seconds.

The latter single, a tongue-in-cheek tribute to the magazine and rock stardom with Sawyer on vocals, became a Top 10 single on the Billboard Hot 100 and resulted in Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show, in caricature form, receiving a Rolling Stone cover in March 1973 as well as a profile of the New Jersey-via-Alabama act.

2c664e18f72ef1f0887d67101a1b74c0.jpg

“Here was this little band from Alabama standing on the corner saying, ‘Hey, put us on the cover’, and it worked,” Sawyer later said in an interview with the BBC. “It was a dream come true.”

Following their Silverstein partnership, the band shortened their name to Dr. Hook and enjoyed a string of hit singles in the mid- to late-Seventies, including ‘Only Sixteen,’ ‘A Little Bit More,’ ‘Sexy Eyes’, ‘Better Love Next Time’ and ‘When You’re in Love With A Beautiful Woman,’ which shot to No.1 in the UK. Bruce Springsteen also notably served as Dr. Hook’s opening act in 1973.

After nine albums with Dr. Hook, Ray Sawyer left in 1983 to pursue a solo career. He had previously released a self-titled solo LP in 1977. While Dennis Locorriere maintained ownership of the official Dr. Hook moniker, Sawyer toured as Dr. Hook featuring Ray Sawyer over the past few decades. However, health issues forced Sawyer to stop performing live in 2015.

Locorriere said in a statement to Rolling Stone, “Although I hadn’t been in contact with Ray for many, many years it does not erase the fact that we were once close friends and shared an important time in both our lives. Deep condolences go out to his family at what must be a difficult time.”

Via con Dios, Ray.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 6

Hey guys hope you’re all well! ❤️ Happy NY! Who else here has a cold? 🤧 my symptoms actually started a few days ago but I’ve been working a lot of long days and most of it physical labor, so it’s dragging out. 

George is good and we are spending the day together tomorrow! He will have one brief interlude of his doctors appointment which will vex him and the rest fun. He’s already sick of winter. 

• Love 7

Poor George, I don't blame him. I'm sick of winter, too. 

Sorry you're not feeling well but hopefully you feel better soon. I've been on vacation since the 23rd and I go back to work on the 7th. I'm already sad my vacation is almost over. Don't get me wrong, I like having money, I just also like sleeping, lol. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Sake614 said:

I wasn’t. They went in through my nose. Although if I’d known that it would result in the mostly loss of smell, I might have opted to have my head shaved instead....😖

I'm sorry to hear that, Sake. The position of the mass made a craniotomy the only option for me.

After always having hair, a shaved head was very perplexing. I wore a lot of hats and scarves, and became a big fan of turbans.

• Love 9

I can’t eveni imagine @Cupid Stunt  my tumor was pressing against the optic nerve I joked that if they had to shave my head they Beyer bring in my hairdresser because he was the only one allowed to touch my hair lol! 

back to the show...did Nate ever say exactly what type of surgery he performed on Nikki? 

• Love 8
15 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

When I had the benign mass removed from my pituitary, I was shaved. 

I hope you had it done at a time they did think shaving was necessary, otherwise I'm sorry they put you through that unnecessarily :(  

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I hope you had it done at a time they did think shaving was necessary, otherwise I'm sorry they put you through that unnecessarily :(  

IDK Bytor. I had surgery in September 2015 -- It was considered an emergency procedure at the time. My mother was more upset about my hair being shaved off. I was more concerned that I had said what I needed to say to my husband and children.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

IDK Bytor. I had surgery in September 2015 -- It was considered an emergency procedure at the time. My mother was more upset about my hair being shaved off. I was more concerned that I had said what I needed to say to my husband and children.

Sounds like something my mother would do!  Glad to see you came out of it ok (and I don't only mean the hair) :)

• Love 7
3 hours ago, ByTor said:

Sounds like something my mother would do!  Glad to see you came out of it ok (and I don't only mean the hair) :)

A woman's hair is her crowning glory … Or some such religious/cultural/marketing dogma.

<Thhpppttt> Hair grows back and I can plot out the long game on my next Hair Police violation.

I did recover completely, and ended up having my endocrine system closely monitored. It was when I was diagnosed with early onset menopause last Fall that I was thrown for a loop -- How dare I run out of my lady juice! I'm in a compounded hormone replacement study now. 

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 10
10 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

A woman's hair is her crowning glory … Or some such religious/cultural/marketing dogma.

<Thhpppttt> Hair grows back and I can plot out the long game on my next Hair Police violation.

I did recover completely, and ended up having my endocrine system closely monitored. It was when I was diagnosed with early onset menopause last Fall that I was thrown for a loop -- How dare I run out of my lady juice! I'm in a compounded hormone replacement study now. 

My mom had a friend who's hair all fell out when she was being treated for cancer. Her hair had been straight, grey and when it grew back it was not only black but very curly.

• Love 7
37 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

My mom had a friend who's hair all fell out when she was being treated for cancer. Her hair had been straight, grey and when it grew back it was not only black but very curly.

Isn't that strange?  My mom's straight hair which we all assume had become white or grey by that time, after it all fell out during her chemo, grew back in white and curly and beautiful.  She'd always sworn to never stop coloring it but after that, she left it natural.  

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

September 2015

9 months after me. I could’ve waited but just figured I should get it ovef with. It was almost 2 cm and pressing against my optic nerve, so there was a chance of losing my sight which of course was not an option. Mind if I ask how they found it? For me, it was an elevated level of prolactin in my blood. Since I wasn’t pregnant or breastfeeding it shouldn’t have been that high. After two consecutive tests over six months where the levels were still high, the doctor ordered an MRI and they saw the tumor.

• Love 8

Bad Rabbits with bad habits strayed too far off the topic path again … 

238609_2.jpg

23 hours ago, Sake614 said:

9 months after me. I could’ve waited but just figured I should get it ovef with. It was almost 2 cm and pressing against my optic nerve, so there was a chance of losing my sight which of course was not an option. Mind if I ask how they found it? For me, it was an elevated level of prolactin in my blood. Since I wasn’t pregnant or breastfeeding it shouldn’t have been that high. After two consecutive tests over six months where the levels were still high, the doctor ordered an MRI and they saw the tumor.

That had to be terrifying, Sake. I'm so glad you recovered, Pituitary Sister.

I had been feeling progressively off for about six weeks -- spotty period, sex drive either in over-drive or nonexistent, having trouble sleeping if I did any sleeping at all, appetite was in negative numbers, not being able to complete my morning run without being lightheaded and nauseous was the final straw. I got in to see my GP by planting my woozy self in the waiting room and spooking the receptionist. The blood work indicated peri-menopause, but my GP was concerned about the sudden onset of dizzy spells while exercising. That same day she sent me to the clinic endocrinologist for more tests, another physical exam and CT scan; he called the surgical clinic to look at the scans and blood work. I called Mr.Stunt and my parents, who were visiting us, to come to the hospital. I went in for the MRI, and was shown the mass on the scans (Gulp!), told I needed surgery immediately, handed the surgical paper work and signed with a flourish.

"Get that thing out of my head." Words that endear a suite full of surgeons excited about removing a pituitary mass in a peculiar location. Let's do that craniotomy!

Weeee!

• Love 8

We bought a new mattress at a bankruptcy sale. Yay! I wasn't sorry to see the Serta mattress take its final trip to the county collection lot, along with twelve obsolete PC towers, four computer screens, two obsolete printers, rusted out barbecue, five tires, the last tube tv, five cans of dried up paint, and 3 gallons of used motor oil. -- New Year Resolutions: Day 5

Dutch Artist Found A Way To Create Clouds In The Middle Of A Room And The Result Is Amazing

The incredible story of Pita Taufatofua, Tonga's shirtless Olympic flag bearer

• Love 6
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Jesus, that's terrifying CS. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. And how frightening for your family. I'm so glad you made it!

I woke up to my mother whispering the rosary over my bandaged head -- Proximity is everything when praying to God for intercession.

God bless my parents. They took care Mr.Stunt and I while I recovered at home.

I should have been scared spitless, but it was the look in the radiologist's eyes that told me I had one option. I saw the blood tests and CT scan where the mass was shown. The option was surgery in the hands of highly specialized UCLA surgical staff.

Strange that not wrestling with other treatment possibilities was a relief for me, while Mr.Stunt and my parent's (who were visiting us) were stunned that I decided to have the operation without much discussion. Some trails are clearly marked.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 9
52 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Jesus, that's terrifying CS. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. And how frightening for your family. I'm so glad you made it!

I'm co-signing, this, Cupid Stunt.  Thank God it was benign.

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, boes said:

I'm co-signing, this, Cupid Stunt.  Thank God it was benign.

Amen, Bothers and Sisters!

Post-testing, the lab delivered the mass to me in a jar (per my request before the anesthesiologist put me under). Mom was appalled, but the rest of the family was fascinated I wanted to hold on to it.

I would shake the jar like a snow globe, watching it bob and swirl around -- So, you're what's behind the new hair do.

4 days after returning home I had my first checkup. I brought the mass with me and dropped it off at the lab for disposal. Mr.Stunt and Mom were thankful -- They both thought having the mass on my bedside table was macabre -- A little.

muahh.gif

-- This is coming from the man who tries to creep everyone out for his birthday on Halloween. 

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 10

@Cupid Stunt

Yikes! That sounds terrifying! So glad you’re okay.  Like you, I didn’t even think about it. I was told it needed to come out or I’d go blind eventually, so I said okay fine, when do we do it? I think everyone else was more freaked than I was probably because I didn’t think about it. And I somehow didn’t connect that it was in my BRAIN! I mean, it’s the pituitary gland. It’s in my head sure, but it isn’t part of my brain, right? Yeah denial is a wonderful thing 😏

i spent two days in the hospital and couldn’t wait to get home. The only other time I’d stayed overnight in a hospital was when my tonsils came out at age 8. And if there was any possible way to do this as an outpatient I would have lol! I hate hospitals!

the surgeon said that it had likely been growing for about 10 years but I had absolutely no symptoms other than the high hormone level. And if that wasn’t bad enough, 8 months later I had a hysterectomy. I was starting to think I was jinxed! Thankfully that was an outpatient procedure and was done laparoscopically 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Sake614 said:

@Cupid Stunt

Yikes! That sounds terrifying! So glad you’re okay.  Like you, I didn’t even think about it. I was told it needed to come out or I’d go blind eventually, so I said okay fine, when do we do it? I think everyone else was more freaked than I was probably because I didn’t think about it. And I somehow didn’t connect that it was in my BRAIN! I mean, it’s the pituitary gland. It’s in my head sure, but it isn’t part of my brain, right? Yeah denial is a wonderful thing 😏

i spent two days in the hospital and couldn’t wait to get home. The only other time I’d stayed overnight in a hospital was when my tonsils came out at age 8. And if there was any possible way to do this as an outpatient I would have lol! I hate hospitals!

the surgeon said that it had likely been growing for about 10 years but I had absolutely no symptoms other than the high hormone level. And if that wasn’t bad enough, 8 months later I had a hysterectomy. I was starting to think I was jinxed! Thankfully that was an outpatient procedure and was done laparoscopically 

Sake614, Thank God everything worked out for you.  And then the hysterectomy??  How could you not feel jinxed?  It's pretty amazing what you can go through when you have to isn't it?  I hope that's it for you for a long, long, LONG time.

• Love 9

Thanks @boes. Here’s hoping! The hysterectomy became a necessity because my two medium-sized fibroids decided to marry and become one massive fibroid that was blocking my kidney. I was almost hoping they’d have to cut instead of going in with a laparoscope because I made the surgeon promise to give me a Tummy tuck while he was in there lol! I mean, it was the least they could do after all I’d been through right? 😏

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

Thanks @boes. Here’s hoping! The hysterectomy became a necessity because my two medium-sized fibroids decided to marry and become one massive fibroid that was blocking my kidney. I was almost hoping they’d have to cut instead of going in with a laparoscope because I made the surgeon promise to give me a Tummy tuck while he was in there lol! I mean, it was the least they could do after all I’d been through right? 😏

I completely agree.  And I love the way you think!  

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

I was almost hoping they’d have to cut instead of going in with a laparoscope because I made the surgeon promise to give me a Tummy tuck while he was in there lol! I mean, it was the least they could do after all I’d been through right? 😏

wish i had thought of that.......

• Love 7
56 minutes ago, boes said:

Sake614, Thank God everything worked out for you.  And then the hysterectomy??  How could you not feel jinxed?  It's pretty amazing what you can go through when you have to isn't it?  I hope that's it for you for a long, long, LONG time.

My grandmother used to say people can get used to anything, even hanging. I still don't really get what she meant but I think it was a tribute to how resilient people can be.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, valleycliffe said:

wish i had thought of that.......

The doctor thought I was crazy. Or joking. I assured him I was most certainly not joking. He got off the hook because they didn’t have to cut lol!

• Love 7

You're my hero, Sake.

Reuters Editors Choice Pictures

CBS News president steps down, replaced by veteran producer

Daryl Dragon of '70s pop sensations Captain & Tennille died of renal failure Jan. 2 at a hospice in Prescott, Arizona, with former wife Toni Tennille by his side, according to his publicist, Harlan Boll. He was 76.

More commonly known as the Captain, Dragon was a member of the Beach Boys from 1967 to 1972 before forming a duo with Tennille in 1974. 

"He was a brilliant musician with many friends who loved him greatly," Tennille said in a statement. "I was at my most creative in my life when I was with him." 

A Los Angeles native, Dragon was the son of Oscar-winning composer Carmen Dragon. He was a classically trained pianist but preferred to play blues and boogie music instead of Bach and Beethoven. He played with Fats Domino and BB King and was also a backup keyboard player for the Beach Boys in the mid-1960s and early 1970s.

Dragon and Tennille met in the early 1970s as members of the Beach Boys backup tour group. His stage moniker was said to have been coined by Mike Love during the late ’60s and early ’70s period when Dragon was a keyboard player for the Beach Boys; the perennial captain’s hat followed to cement the persona. When the tour was conclude they began performing together, with Tennille singing and Dragon on keyboards. (He would later serve as Captain & Tennille's producer.) Their breakthrough came in 1975, when they topped the Billboard Hot 100 with a cover of the Neil Sedaka-Howard Greenfield song "Love Will Keep Us Together," which became the biggest-selling record of the year and won a Grammy for record of the year.

Their best-known hits included "The Way I Want to Touch You," "Lonely Night (Angel Face)," "Shop Around," "Muskrat Love," "You Never Done it Like That" and second chart-topper "Do That To Me One More Time." They also briefly starred in their own television variety show before their careers faded in the 1980s. The duo’s variety show ran for one season on ABC and was followed by a series of annual specials. Dragon, who was virtually a silent partner in the duo, was said to be uncomfortable being on television, which contributed to the demise of their well-viewed series in 1977.

Dragon and Tennille divorced in 2014 after nearly 40 years of marriage. But if love couldn't keep them together, it did keep them close enough for Tennille to move back to Prescott to care for Dragon in 2017. 

In 2016, Tennille published "Toni Tennille: A Memoir," which presented their marriage as far removed from their cheerful hits. They wed in 1974, but Tennille recalled that their marriage was announced in advance – and to their surprise – by their record company. The couple, who had been living together, made it official in November of that year. Tennille would allege that the marriage suffered from lack of intimacy and blamed it on what she described as Dragon's "very, very difficult family" and "famous but overbearing father."

A Los Angeles native, Dragon was the son of Oscar-winning composer Carmen Dragon and singer Eloise Dragon and was himself a classically trained musician. Before he was with Tennille, he played keyboards for the Beach Boys and was dubbed "The Captain" by singer Mike Love, who noted Dragon's fondness for sea captain caps.

He is survived by his older brother, Doug Dragon, and two nieces, Kelly Arbout and Renee Henn. The LA Times bituary notice said that at Dragon’s request there would be no services, and suggested donations to organizations conducting research into neurological conditions.

My brother played a copy of Willis Alan Ramsey's only album to death, and  "Muskrat Love" was one of the soft rock cuts. It's a peculiar song, but I always think of Captain and Tennille fondly when I hear it.

• Love 7

I was at an awards event Sunday --hair, mani/pedi, makeup, get dressed -- A client sneezed on me at the hair dresser. Yippee! I have a dull headache and running a temperature.

At first I thought it was me, bit I kept seeing this old commercial …

I love the Norwegian electronic band Röyksopp …

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 9