Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I love anything movie and TV related. I went to Vancouver years back and stumbled upon so many shooting locations. I was in heaven. It's lucky I don't live there though because I'd never make it into work, lol. 

lol  the commuters complain loudly when movies shut down the roads or viaducts throughout the city....deadpool closed down one of the major commuter roads into the city for several days.....great for people watching for ryan reynolds et al but horrid otherwise..

they were shooting a movie or something here in nanaimo not too long ago and people weren't happy with the roadways being closed to traffic....then of course there was major roadwork being done didn't help either...especially when the ferry came in...

• Love 11
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:25 PM, Petunia13 said:

George has always loved fashion and clothes. He will grin and race to a new outfit or clean jammies.  Thanksgiving Day I spent with him bonding. Since I posted about it I haven't been speaking to or seeing my mother (because it wasn't safe for me emotionally or physically) but she'd been harassing me via phone and on my job. Thanksgiving evening her dog died suddenly so now I'm back to speaking to her / helping her 😥 It's a mess.

I'm sorry, Petunia. The death of a pet can bring out so much angst and insecurity in people.

Doing what is needed for your mother is very difficult, and you are to be commended for your efforts. Take care that you don't overtax yourself.

Speaking of George; How is he getting along at daycare?

@OhioSongbird thanksgiving leftovers are the best kind of leftovers!  I am a sucker for stuffing! It's hard to find or make a good vegan one. 👍🏼😜potatoes and dip and veggies. Ugh I can eat them everyday. 

Gaaa! J'adore Thanksgiving carbohydrates!

I have a Vegan-friendly dressing recipe that can be zhuzhed for any diet preference:

Serves: 6 - 8

1 large loaf whole-grain bread* (cubed & set out to dry overnight or dried in the oven -- 1 large loaf yields about 9 cups loosely packed cubes)

3 Tbsp olive oil, butter or vegan butter (I used a mix of both)

1/2 cup diced white onions 

3/4 cup diced mushrooms of your choice

3/4 cup diced celery

Salt & pepper to taste

3 - 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth, warm (homemade or store-bought)*

1 beaten egg or 1 batch flax egg (1 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 2-1/2 Tbsp water or as recommended on label)

3/4 tsp each dried sage, dried and crushed rosemary leaves and ground savory*

Instructions:

-- The night before, cube your bread and set it in a large bowl to dry out - you want it to be the texture of day old bread - noticeably dry but not rock hard.

-- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and oil 9x13 pan.

-- Sauté onion, celery and mushrooms in the olive oil or vegan butter, and season with a bit of salt and pepper. Cook until fragrant and translucent - about 5 minutes. Stir in sage and rosemary and savory, Set aside.

-- To the bowl of bread, add sautéed vegetables, beaten eggs, pour in half of the broth and mix. The key is to make sure it is about the consistency of a dry meatloaf mixture. If it’s too dry, add more broth and mix again. If too wet, add more bread.

-- Transfer to the prepared pan and cover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes. Then remove the top layer of foil so the top can brown. Increase heat to 400 degrees F (204 C) and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the top is well browned and crisp.

-- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving. Leftovers reheat well in the microwave or oven, though best when fresh.

Notes:

* You can substitute 2 baguettes, a loaf of sourdough per 1 large loaf whole-grain bread or a combination of breads

* You can substitute 1 1/4 tsp fresh sage and rosemary each, chopped per 3/4 tsp dried

* Homemade or store-bought chicken broth can be used, but be careful of how much salt you add to the dressing 

* If you're interested, 3/4 cup toasted chopped pecans, toasted pine nuts, prepared chestnuts, toasted butternuts (not the squash), chopped dried cranberries, dried apricots, chopped apple are delicious add-ins. Add to the sautéed vegetables, stir, and bump up your herbs, salt and pepper by scant 1/2 tsp, set aside and follow the rest of the recipe.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, jewel21 said:

They're filming some sort of movie on my street tomorrow. They already put up the no parking signs and there are some trailers parked across the street. I believe it's a French film, and I don't know either of the two actors who will be filming here tomorrow, but it's still so cool!

LA police post notices for streets under filming restrictions. It's annoying and all too common.

Aunt Trinket was in charge of a church rummage sale Saturday (bought boxes of vintage Christmas decorations, ruby Anchor Hocking punch bowl set, and 1950s costume jewelry), and went to an estate sale (canoe paddle, dish towels, tooled saddlebag, porcelain crescent plates, yellowware mixing bowl) on the way to the hardware store, but that was the extent of my shopping over the weekend.

• Love 10
On 2018-11-25 at 10:09 AM, pearlite said:

Ah, jewel, Montreal! Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays, c'est l'hiver...

People location-shoot a lot of film and TV [and commercials] around where I live. Unfortunately, we generally start swearing when we see the orange cones and the Panavision or Wm F White vans and Starwagons. It screws up traffic, parking, and pretentious little Gofers are all over, talking into their headphones.

No snow here, just November grey.

Gilles Vigneault, non?

Jewel, your city (you’re in Montreal, right?) might have a section on their website that details which movies and TV shows are being filmed. I know the city of Toronto’s website gives that information. And HOLY SCHNIKES  CHRIS EVANS IS GOING TO BE IN TORONTO IN JANUARY *falls over dead*

https://www.toronto.ca/business-economy/industry-sector-support/film/current-productions-and-news/

Back in June, my son and I went to meet a friend in a park in Oakville, a western suburb of Toronto. We discovered when we arrived that an episode of a program shown on TVOKids was being filmed that day, which was exciting because my guy enjoys TVOKids shows!

Edited by Capricasix
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Gilles Vigneault, non?

Jewel, your city (you’re in Montreal, right?) might have a section on their website that details which movies and TV shows are being filmed. I know the city of Toronto’s website gives that information. And HOLY SCHNIKES  CHRIS EVANS IS GOING TO BE IN TORONTO IN JANUARY *falls over dead*

https://www.toronto.ca/business-economy/industry-sector-support/film/current-productions-and-news/

Back in June, my son and I went to meet a friend in a park in Oakville, a western suburb of Toronto. We discovered when we arrived that an episode of a program shown on TVOKids was being filmed that day, which was exciting because my guy enjoys TVOKids shows!

I am in Montreal, yes. I will have to see if I can find out any info. Thanks for the suggestion. 

I saw a man today walking by the trailers with blood on his face. I'm going to assume he's an extra, heh. 

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Saw that on TV this morning.  I thought it was CGI at first or maybe the others were dwarf cows or calves or something.  Day-um....

Today is Mr. Songbird's and my 48th wedding anniversary.

Yikes...where did all the time go......

happy 48th

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Saw that on TV this morning.  I thought it was CGI at first or maybe the others were dwarf cows or calves or something.  Day-um....

Congratulations!!!

• Love 7

Congratulations, Ohio! And many more years to come.

6 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

holy moly that's a big cow.....growth hormones?

Australia has very stringent regulations on bio-manipulation in food production, so I think it's doubtful. Holstein-Friesian crosses are pretty large on their own, but if you keep mating two of the largest animals available, you could end up with a beast the size of Knickers. It's the same mentality that you see in animal barns at state fairs with contests for the largest hog, tallest draft horse, biggest chicken … because we can.

‘SpongeBob’ creator Stephen Hillenburg dies at 57

Stephen Hillenburg, who used his dual loves of drawing and marine biology to spawn the absurd undersea world of “SpongeBob SquarePants,” has died, Nickelodeon announced Tuesday. Hillenburg died Monday of Lou Gehrig’s disease, also known as ALS, the cable network said in a statement. He was 57.

He had announced he had the disease in March 2017. His death comes just weeks after the passing of another cartoon hero in Marvel creator Stan Lee.

Hillenburg conceived, wrote, produced and directed the animated series that began in 1999 and bloomed into hundreds of episodes, movies and a Broadway show. The eternally, obliviously jolly SpongeBob and his yell-along theme song that opened “Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?!” quickly appealed to college kids and parents as much as it did kids. “The essence of the show is that SpongeBob is an innocent in a world of jaded characters,” Hillenburg told The Associated Press in 2001. “The rest is absurd packaging.”

Its vast cast of oceanic creatures included SpongeBob’s starfish sidekick Patrick, his tightwad boss Mr. Krabs, and his always-exasperated neighbor Squidward Tentacles. Hillenburg’s undersea world of Bikini Bottom was a realm like no other, real or fictional. SpongeBob can play his nose like a flute and could not possibly be happier to work his fast-seafood job of flipping Krabby Patties. But he has his troubles, too. He constantly fails his boat-driving test, forcing his frightened blowfish teacher to inflate. In one episode he suffers a broken butt and is afraid to leave his pineapple home for days. “I don’t want to face my fears,” SpongeBob, voiced by Tom Kenny, says in another episode. “I’m afraid of them!”

Kenny presented Hillenburg with a special honor at the Daytime Emmy Awards in April, and said in his speech that Hillenburg himself is the embodiment of his main character. “SpongeBob’s vocal cords might be mine,” Kenny said. “But SpongeBob’s playful spirit of gentle anarchy, his humor and the joy he takes in his vibrant, colorful, music-filled world come directly, directly, 100 percent from my good buddy, Mr. Stephen Hillenburg.”

Born at his father’s army post in Lawton, Oklahoma, Hillenburg graduated from Humboldt State University in California in 1984 with a degree in natural resource planning with a marine emphasis, and went on to teach marine biology at the Orange County Marine Institute. While there he drew a comic, “The Intertidal Zone,” that he used as a teaching tool. It featured anthropomorphic ocean creatures that were precursors to the characters on “SpongeBob.” Hillenburg shifted to drawing and earned a master of fine arts degree in animation from the California Institute of the Arts in 1992.

He worked on the Nickelodeon show “Rocko’s Modern Life,” from 1993 to 1996 before he began to build SpongeBob’s universe, which showed off his knowledge of marine life and willingness to throw all the details out the window. “We know that fish don’t walk,” he told the AP in 2001. “And if you know much about sponges, you know that living sponges aren’t square.” The show was an immediate hit that has lost no momentum in the nearly 20 years since its creation and helped define the culture of Nickelodeon.

“He was a beloved friend and long-time creative partner to everyone at Nickelodeon,” the network’s statement said. “His utterly original characters and the world of Bikini Bottom will long stand as a reminder of the value of optimism, friendship and the limitless power of imagination.” Its nearly 250 episodes have won four Emmy Awards and led to an endless line of merchandise to rival any other pop cultural phenomenon of the 2000s. “When you set out to do a show about a sponge, you can’t anticipate this kind of craze,” Hillenburg told the AP in 2002.

In 2004, the show shifted to the big screen with “The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie” and a 2015 sequel, “The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water.” David Bowie, Johnny Depp and Scarlett Johansson are among the dozens of major stars who provided guest voices to the show or movies. Intensely involved in every aspect of the show initially, Hillenburg after the 2004 film stepped back into an executive producer role on the show, where he remained for the rest of his life. A musical stage adaptation debuted on Broadway in 2017, with music from such stars as Steven Tyler, Sara Bareilles and John Legend. It earned 12 Tony Award nominations, including one for best performance by a leading actor for Ethan Slater.

“I am heartbroken to hear of the passing of Stephen Hillenburg,” Slater said in an email Tuesday. “Through working on ‘SpongeBob,’ I got to know him not only as a creative genius, but as a truly generous and kind person. He warmly embraced us on Broadway as the newest members of his wonderful ‘SpongeBob’ family, and made it so clear from the get-go why he is so beloved: genuine kindness.”

Hillenburg is survived by his wife of 20 years Karen Hillenburg, son Clay, mother Nancy Hillenburg, and a brother, Brian Kelly Hillenburg.

Godspeed dear friend.

37c31d1379d39e0e080af34df8bcf7a2.jpg

Merry Machine Age and a Happy Ray Gun to you!

• Love 6
50 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Wow! You were married the year I was born! Happy anniversary 😊

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

“We know that fish don’t walk,” he told the AP in 2001. “And if you know much about sponges, you know that living sponges aren’t square.”

We also know that they can't drown (I LOVE the Spongeguard on Duty episode), since they already...you know...live underwater!

ALS is so sad :(

• Love 9
33 minutes ago, ByTor said:

We also know that they can't drown (I LOVE the Spongeguard on Duty episode), since they already...you know...live underwater!

ALS is so sad :(

<snerk> Good choice!

Season two kills me, but the Band Geeks finale is beautiful lunacy.

5b06993128eedffbbf3315d02a2db53ff3d0eb97

Stephen will be sorely missed by children of all ages.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

We're about the same age - isn't it glorious?

What were the songs you had at your wedding?  I seem to remember "We've Only Just Begun" by the Carpenters and Elton John's "Your Song" both being played around then......

• Love 9

No songs.  We got married on the cheap (as we didn't have two nickels to rub together) in the beautiful chapel of hubby's Episcopal church with all of 11 people attending.  Immediate family only...no I wasn't preggers.  Boychild was born in' 72....;-)  The same Pastor married us that baptized hubby and he also baptized our son.  

Wore my prom dress (that I attended with soon-to-be hubs).....a long sleeved,  floor length, ruffled at v-neck and end of sleeves, white dotted Swiss, empire style with an A-line skirt w/blue bow at the bodice.  Just took off the bow and bought a short veil.

One SIL made our cake and we had the pot luck reception...more folks came for the party...at the other SIL's way-cool apt.

It was a great day all round.  My best memory is when we went back to our place to get out of the wedding attire before the party it was softly snowing as we ran across the street hand in hand....

• Love 13
21 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

No songs.  We got married on the cheap (as we didn't have two nickels to rub together) in the beautiful chapel of hubby's Episcopal church with all of 11 people attending.  Immediate family only...no I wasn't preggers.  Boychild was born in' 72....;-)  The same Pastor married us that baptized hubby and he also baptized our son.  

Wore my prom dress (that I attended with soon-to-be hubs).....a long sleeved,  floor length, ruffled at v-neck and end of sleeves, white dotted Swiss, empire style with an A-line skirt w/blue bow at the bodice.  Just took off the bow and bought a short veil.

One SIL made our cake and we had the pot luck reception...more folks came for the party...at the other SIL's way-cool apt.

It was a great day all round.  My best memory is when we went back to our place to get out of the wedding attire before the party it was softly snowing as we ran across the street hand in hand....

What a wonderful day it must have been!  Great memories.......

• Love 9
15 hours ago, boes said:

We're about the same age - isn't it glorious?

What were the songs you had at your wedding?  I seem to remember "We've Only Just Begun" by the Carpenters and Elton John's "Your Song" both being played around then......

Aaah, boes, ohio, we're all in this together.

Mind you, in my case, I should have just got that frequent-flyer divorce loyalty card...

On another note, you just reminded me of one of my strangest favourite characters, Paul Williams--the songwriter, not Paulie TP. I always preferred his crackly-voiced versions of his own songs to the hit versions. I first noticed him in The Loved One [personal fave movie], and then later in the under-rated Phantom of the Paradise.

• Love 7

I'm pretty sure We've Only Just Begun was my prom theme song. That was 1973.

27 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Paul Williams--the songwriter,

I also enjoyed his acting. He had parts in shows that I watched, though I can't remember what they were at the moment.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, boes said:

I seem to remember "We've Only Just Begun" by the Carpenters and Elton John's "Your Song" both being played around then......

I don't know if they still do this, but the 70s channel on Sirius XM used to replay that Casey Kasem "America's Top 40" show (how I remember as a kid looking forward to listening to it on my AM radio), and it seems that The Carpenters were kind of a 70s staple.  Some of that 70s music though?  I'd love to know what they were smoking.  When I heard "Muskrat Love", one week, all I could wonder is how this song ever made top anything.  

Just now, AngelKitty said:

I also enjoyed his acting. He had parts in shows that I watched, though I can't remember what they were at the moment.

I think he was on an episode of The Odd Couple.

• Love 5

Smoky and the Bandit among others.  In that one he was paired with Pat McCormick as brothers or partners.

Always preferred his versions, too.  He was a wonderful songwriter.  Many movie theme songs...I think he might of written "There's Got to Be a Morning After" from the Poseidon Adventure.

eta....ooops...he didn't...

Edited by OhioSongbird
  • Love 6
52 minutes ago, pearlite said:

On another note, you just reminded me of one of my strangest favourite characters, Paul Williams--the songwriter, not Paulie TP. I always preferred his crackly-voiced versions of his own songs to the hit versions. I first noticed him in The Loved One [personal fave movie], and then later in the under-rated Phantom of the Paradise.

Paul Williams was everywhere, writing music for dozens of movies, TV shows and singers -- And still is.

I remember his turn as Bailey Masterson on the Bold and Beautiful.

A holiday tradition from the White House … Christmas Greetings from Melania Trump 

wh.0.jpg

• Love 9
42 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Sorry, Paul....my reports of your death were greatly exaggerated.

CS...I heard the WH Christmas trees were red but please tell me that is photoshopped....

just the hats are....the red trees are really there.

• Love 6

Whew...I thought she may be going for another cry for help....but I really don't care, do you?

Those trees are ugly.  Last year's were austere but these...I don't know what she's going for here.  Blood red trees with no decorations that I can see.  Odd...

• Love 8

I went to a Christmas party that featured a red flocked tree. It had old-fashioned white Christmas light bulbs with silver reflectors, oversized pearl and silver ornaments, and silver star topper. The entire home was coordinated to the centerpiece tree -- very striking decorator seasonal decor, but lacking a certain warmth you associate with Christmas.

Thousands evacuated as flash floods, mudslides hit wildfire-ravaged California

Our plague of locusts is scheduled for next week.

How about a little Christmas music?

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7

giphy.gif

World AIDS Day: 5 ways you can make a difference

• Know your status
  • Stop the stigma
  • Educate yourself and spread the word
  • Be an Ally
  • Donate to AIDS-related causes

Hanukkah begins Sunday evening, December 2 -- Why Hanukkah’s message of Jewish resilience matters so much after Pittsburgh

Advent starts Sunday December 2 this year. Nana sent us a Bonne Maman Preserves Advent Calendar. YUM!

bonne-maman-advent-calendar-2017-10.jpg

We all have that one person that stumps us every holiday, here's something for the cat lover on your list -- You're welcome.

• Love 8

That photo shows they have quite a nice selection. I think there's a raspberry and lychee one there that intrigues me. I've only seen maybe 5-6 varieties here in Montreal. Raspberry, strawberry, blueberry, orange, mixed berries, etc. Basically the staples, but I'd like to try the other varieties. 

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I have two jars in my fridge right now, raspberry and blueberry. So good.

I've got their cherry jam--it's really nice, not terribly sweet. And I save the jars for fridge storage--I prefer glass containers to plastic.

• Love 8
50 minutes ago, pearlite said:

I've got their cherry jam--it's really nice, not terribly sweet. And I save the jars for fridge storage--I prefer glass containers to plastic.

And they are such pretty jars. I have clean, de-labeled one in a row on my kitchen windowsill. Great for fresh herb vases. I'd really like to try the apricot and the mango peach for making salsa for snapper wraps.

• Love 6