Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

I think it's sexism, plain and simple. It's like that woman Samantha Bee interviewed. The woman was a mechanic, no less. "I don't want a woman president." Sam asked how she would feel if someone said they didn't want a woman mechanic to work on their car and she said "This is different."

• Love 8
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

And the weird facial expressions, the sniffing, the rolling his head around, the pouting mouth. Ugh. I think he was on something. Can you imagine him addressing the UN? Or speaking to foreign leaders? My god, he'd be laughed off the world stage and so would we.

and he doesn't know how to finish a gosh darn sentence...

when he puckers his mouth, it looks like an anus...

guess he is just showing the people what he is, unfortunately, his trumpeters don't see it.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I think it's sexism, plain and simple. It's like that woman Samantha Bee interviewed. The woman was a mechanic, no less. "I don't want a woman president." Sam asked how she would feel if someone said they didn't want a woman mechanic to work on their car and she said "This is different."

The first station manager I worked for after college, used to say the same thing about me, but with the added vigorish of my handle. A real charmer he was. He ended up transferred to graveyard at a 400 watter in Yuma. See ya', wouldn't want to be ya' asshat.

The sexism is strong in Hair Furor, much stronger than common sense, as demonstrated by the GOP nominee and his legion of defenders. You could hear Ivanka Trump slapping her forehead over and over while her father abandoned all pretense of respect and common sense, and swiftly devolved into the pursed lip incarnation of mansplaining — pompously lecturing Hillary, a woman better educated, more accomplished and clearly smarter than his Cheato self.

Racism is what has propelled Trump to the Republican candidacy for president. Key political and institutional dynamics in the Republican Party gave Trump a path to the nomination. The GOP set itself up for a fall by pandering to the donor class, delegitimizing and dismantling political institutions, but what sets Trump supporters apart from the people who supported other candidates is their endorsement of vile stereotypes about people of color and Muslims. Anti-black and -Muslim stereotypes are the strongest predictor of Trump support — far more powerful than the weak economic factors -- We hate all the people you hate.

When people support a candidate or party, they tend to move closer to the views of the candidate or party they support. By tacitly accepting Trump’s racism, the GOP has empowered white supremacists and widened the boundaries of racism that their party will tolerate. Giving racists legitimacy and the public forum of the GOP will leave a lasting negative impact on American politics and culture for decades.

• Love 10

his supporters completely confirm every impression of I have of him. Uneducated/ignorant, blurting self important opinions, fucked up views of women and people of color, they represent their candidate well. Ironically many I see here on this site or Facebook or in my life have the same values and faults .....however are poor, untraveled, and countrified therefore would still be someone he'd be disgusted by. 

My views skew towards nihilism. However I don't like ignorance and I don't like being annoyed by someone making sillyassss comments or bothering others. I was on a thread here about a tv show and conversation was flowing along and a poster went "can I tell you guys something? I'm voting for x. None of you can change my mind. Don't try to. I like him cuz this and this." Like we were all waiting w bated breathe to know who anonymous user D was voting for. And it had no relevance at all to the topic. But this person and a couple that followed saying same endorsing views of him (one familiar to us here) obviously felt what they wanted to say about that candidate and their whimsy was more important than what we were discussing. 

• Love 6

Yeah, I  have a pretty good idea which thread that was. It was bizarre how that stuff came out of the blue. Apparently it was a relatively new poster and I think two things were likely going on: a) they hadn't taken the temperature of the room as it were, and b) they were drunk or high or whatever. (And I'm beginning to think the producers of that show are actually lowkey courting the kind of viewer who's more likely to support the candidate in question. Because ratings.)

I think maybe the one thing TWOP did right was strongly recommend that new people either follow a thread for X days or read X past pages of the thread before posting. It probably helped a lot of new members avoid showing their ass right off the bat.

• Love 6

That reminds me of peeve. Two posters or more will be debating an issue that probably shouldn't come up in a fluffy thread, but the discussion gets moderated right after someone drops an ignorant stinkbomb, which leaves the fecal pile just sitting there unrefuted. I'm talking profoundly anti-science or sexist or racist. I'm glad moderators here keep things on topic for the most part, which prevents a lot of garbage from being left around. 

• Love 9

The poster from this forum who agreed w them and reiterated their opinion has said shady stuff to me before. Like correcting venecular of posters. Also humble bragging about colleges.

Look if you say you or spouse or kids honeys or whatever are so smart cuz they didn't go to an Ivy League or top school cuz it's a dumb waste of money. Those are insulting comments to those who did. Also saying they could have or you could have but didn't is like someone who's half way attractive saying they could have modeled. You usually put in a lot of work and will know. People who get into Harvard spend years working at it and excelling in extracurriculars and volunteerism. Just because you had straight As doesn't mean you could have gone to Harvard it's cute you say that. It reminds me of the dozens of people who claim they could be in Mensa or have a high iq. They know that how? And if everyone I met who said that was correct then they need to adjust the national average for intelligence. 

I also hate those academic pissing matches because there's always a better school and even if someone has a degree from Yale or whatever they aren't as exemplary as a Rhodes Scholar or maybe haven't gotten a Ph.D. I don't give a shit but can people stop talking out of their ass about this.  

• Love 6

No, not at all! What you said about a poster steering a conversation off the rails, and then Joimia's comment about one thing that TWOP mods did right, made me realize that we hadn't had a bunny for a while. We've been good Preverts!

Edited by Capricasix
  • Love 9

AMC and OLTL were different styles of shows IMHO. A bit more family oriented and salt of the earth. I liked that each depicted a cross section of classes. There'd be a few poor people, many middle class, and few rich, and couple v rich. In their prime they'd have small scenes that were conversation or friendship oriented. They also weren't afraid of having women be smarter than men or business big shots. I still miss those shows. 

• Love 7

i was watching cnn and snippets of a rally hilary was at.

about 2 rows behind her, was a man in a suit just standing there.  he wasn't smiling, he was looking at the crowd, didn't clap like the others.. i wondered if he was one of her secret service guys cause he just looked so very out of place..usually you don't see them...can't help but wonder if they are worried one of her opponents nutcases will heed his dog whistle he put out there..

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Capricasix said:

He probably was a Secret Service guy, yeah. It's like when you see pictures of the PM, it's easy to tell which guys are his bodyguards.

I'm pretty sure she wears a bulletproof vest under her jackets, too.

well, that would explain why sometimes her clothes look bulky.

• Love 3

lol, i was just watching the food network and they had a commercial for a tv series called timeless. i think it's about people who can go back and forth in time.

the girl character did the talking and she said "this is dr.dray and i'm nurse jackie and we're from general hospital...i found it funny anyway.

LOL  i just realized she probably said dr. drake...

Edited by valleycliffe
  • Love 6

Paging Jewel21! When Travis was getting into the elevator with Ash I noticed that he looked an awful lot like Steve McQueen. The actor, not the cockatoo. Why, oh why couldn't he have been our new Billy instead of that unpleasant bounder we ended up with.BTW, how is Lovey Dovey Stevie?

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, valleycliffe said:

lol, i was just watching the food network and they had a commercial for a tv series called timeless. i think it's about people who can go back and forth in time.

the girl character did the talking and she said "this is dr.dray and i'm nurse jackie and we're from general hospital...i found it funny anyway.

LOL  i just realized she probably said dr. drake...

I've seen the same commercial, and I'm pretty sure she did say Dr Dre ?

• Love 5
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Paging Jewel21! When Travis was getting into the elevator with Ash I noticed that he looked an awful lot like Steve McQueen. The actor, not the cockatoo. Why, oh why couldn't he have been our new Billy instead of that unpleasant bounder we ended up with. BTW, how is Lovey Dovey Stevie?

Yes, we need some updates about the feathered and furry Preverts!  I hope Steve McQueen is feeling better and that Blanche de la Pearlite is recovering nicely from her surgery.

• Love 8

Aww, thanks guys!

Steve is doing okay. He's on day 7 of his new antibiotics. I have to make a fresh batch tonight. I have to mix the liquid and power together and shake. Once mixed, it's only good for seven days. You can tells it starts getting unstable, too. For the first few days it's a pale shade of yellow and smells like bananas and penicillin and then by day 6 it's a dark, ugly yellow and doesn't smell much of anything. Anyway, I digress. I'm bringing him to the vet on Friday and they'll redo the gram stain. I hope to God it works this time and his infection is gone.

He's less squawk-y today (much to my delight) and I heard him singing last night so I hope that means he's feeling better. His appetite is still a bit off, though.

Edited by jewel21
  • Love 9

Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

Bob Porter: Don't... don't care?

Peter Gibbons: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime, so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now.

Bob Slydell: I beg your pardon?

Peter Gibbons: Eight bosses.

Bob Slydell: Eight?

Peter Gibbons: Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired

Office Space 1999

• Love 9

Oh, jewel you have my sympathy. My DH works for a father /daughter run business (his wife used to be the bookkeeper, but she divorced him because he's such a whiny baby) neither knows what the other is doing, they spend half the day at lunch and yelling at each other. My hubby is the manager and he tries to keep order, but it's next to impossible when the owners can't agree on one single thing. 

• Love 8
40 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Somebody has to go back to the vet tomorrow for another gram stain. Here's hoping the infection is gone this time.

My boss doesn't like that his daughter keeps cutting my hours. He wants to increase my hours to a minimum of 25 a week, and pay me back for the hours she's cut. Her mother is going to speak to her about it. I'm scared. I'm worried she's going to think it's my idea, that she's going to hold a grudge, or want to fire me. Gah.

This may work in your favour. If the dad takes charge and stops letting his daughter runs things, you're good.

Hope Steve is okay.

• Love 10

C'mon, Steve!  That infection needs to make The Great Escape!

Office/family politics aside, it's nice that your boss appreciates your work and is making efforts to keep you happy, jewel21

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 7

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Preverts north of the border. We have much to be thankful for Show-wise as the winds of change appear to finally be altering direction toward a brighter horizon.  I am thankful for all who post on this wonderful board -- you all bring me so much joy and laughter. Thank You everyone!

Edited by klopek
  • Love 8

O.M.G.  shouldn't have been surprised by the video of the vulgar nominee, but the grossness of his conversation stunned me..   the rats will all be leaving the sinking ship.  or they will still make excuses for him with the adendum of ....but....but....hillary..

• Love 3
2 hours ago, PatsyandEddie said:

Poor Ari Zucker having to be seen in the same space as that orange degenerate. 

But but Hillary indeed. 

When Billy Bush told Ari to hug Trump after what the two of them had said about her?? I can't even express my disgust and rage. 

• Love 9
12 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Ladies and gentlemen, your republican presidential nominee. 

Current Senators endorsing Trump.

John Barrasso, WY[31]
Roy Blunt, MO[32]
John Boozman, AR[33]
Richard Burr, NC[34]
Shelley Moore Capito, WV[35]
Bill Cassidy, LA[36]
Dan Coats, IN[37]
Thad Cochran, MS[38]
Bob Corker, TN[39]
John Cornyn, Maj. Whip, TX[40]
Tom Cotton, AR[41]
Mike Crapo, ID[42]
Ted Cruz, TX[43]
Steve Daines, MT[44]
Mike Enzi, WY[45]
Joni Ernst, IA[46]
Deb Fischer, NE[47]
Cory Gardner, CO[48]
Chuck Grassley, IA[49]
Orrin Hatch, Pres. pro tempore, UT[50]
John Hoeven, ND[51]
Jim Inhofe, OK[52]
Johnny Isakson, GA[51]
Ron Johnson, WI[53]
James Lankford, OK[54]
John McCain, AZ[41]
Mitch McConnell, Maj. Leader, KY[55]
Jerry Moran, KS[56]
Lisa Murkowski, AK[57]
Rand Paul, KY[58]
David Perdue, GA[59]
Rob Portman, OH[60]
Pat Roberts, KS[61]
Mike Rounds, SD[62]
Marco Rubio, FL[63]
Tim Scott, SC[64]
Jeff Sessions,[a] AL[65]
Dan Sullivan, AK[41]
John Thune, SD[66]
Thom Tillis, NC[67]
Pat Toomey, PA[68]
David Vitter, LA[69]
Roger Wicker, MS[70]

1 hour ago, miamama said:

When Billy Bush told Ari to hug Trump after what the two of them had said about her?? I can't even express my disgust and rage. 

Rule No. 1 about P***y Club: Never Talk about P***y Club.

Does this mean Billy Bush will finally be publically censured for the disgusting frat boy he happens to be?

***Warning on Link: The open mic video with Hair Gropenführer and Billy Bush is included***

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/10/07/the-bush-family-finally-does-some-damage-to-donald-trumps-campaign-via-an-unlikely-bush/

• Love 4

^^^^^Yup, this is going to sink more than a few down ticket repubs. And it proves that Paul Ryan is a sniveling little weasel. If Comrade Combover shows up at tomorrow night's debate, Hillary should offer him a Tic Tac. Or better yet , just shake the box at him every time he tries to act "presidential".

• Love 6

hair furor said he is going to double down on bill clinton and hillary...figures that's the best way to go..

his default deflection.....but...but....hillary...

one of his pundits said they don't think he should, that it won't end well.

do love the idea of hillary shaking the tic tac box at him tho.

• Love 3