Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Loplop

ElectricBoogaloo
  • Start Topic

Just watching this now. I pretty much love Peggy and Ed, and hope those  crazy kids make it. Peggy and Dodd were hysterical. And then when Ed came in and Dodd was like signaling to his injuries without trying to say anything, I lost it. Funniest thing in s. 1 or 2 to date.

After this first and second ep, a lot of people were saying Peggy was like a sociopath and comparing her to Martin Freeman's character in s. 1. I never read her that way, right from the beginning. At first I though maybe shock, and then maybe just an off reaction in someway but she never struck me like a sociopath like Martin did. She definitely has mental health issues, but I don't think it is equivalent to that. 

Not surprised Hanzee killed Dodd. I could not figure out why he would be so loyal- he is clearly smart and capable and Dodd is a complete ass. 

Continuing to love this season so much. 

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:02 PM, cleo said:

Just watching this now. I pretty much love Peggy and Ed, and hope those  crazy kids make it. Peggy and Dodd were hysterical. And then when Ed came in and Dodd was like signaling to his injuries without trying to say anything, I lost it. Funniest thing in s. 1 or 2 to date.

After this first and second ep, a lot of people were saying Peggy was like a sociopath and comparing her to Martin Freeman's character in s. 1. I never read her that way, right from the beginning. At first I though maybe shock, and then maybe just an off reaction in someway but she never struck me like a sociopath like Martin did. She definitely has mental health issues, but I don't think it is equivalent to that. 

Not surprised Hanzee killed Dodd. I could not figure out why he would be so loyal- he is clearly smart and capable and Dodd is a complete ass. 

Continuing to love this season so much. 

Hi, @cleo.  I just watched this episode last weekend too.  I'm still thinking about a couple things from the episode that I haven't been able to find satisfying answers to online. 

First, the apparition man that Peggy was interacting with from the basement stairs that was giving her all the woo woo advice about being and not thinking.  Most people assume the apparition was a hallucination or delusion of Peggy's, based on her new age-y interests.  That would make sense to me except for one thing.  The apparition's vocabulary, grammatical construction, and somewhat complex thoughts were all beyond anything we've seen in terms of Peggy's intellectual ability to express or imagine.  That lead me to speculate whether the apparition was truly something outside of her self, such as alien.

Next, the whole Hanzee's haircut scene.  As you noted, Hanzee has been shown as a smart man.  He's seen the evidence of how cray-cray Peggy is, and the violence/murder she's easily capable of.  So, when he says he's "tired of this world" and asks Peggy to give him a haircut, what's really going on there?  By "tired of this world" does he mean it in the sense of "it's time for me to die"?  And that he's chosen for Peggy to be the one to kill him?   Or, as seems unlikely, does he fully expect crazy Peggy to simply give him a literal haircut?  As a follow-up, had Hank and Lou not arrived so suddenly and unexpectedly, would Peggy have killed Hanzee, or no?  I can see it as possible (however remotely) that Peggy would have simply have cut Hanzee's hair without plunging the scissors into his neck, (even if Hanzee had actually wished her to kill him), but the sudden arrival of the Law triggered her survival instincts.  She quickly saw that she might be able to talk the officers into believing that the kidnap/torture/murder of Dodd had been all Hanzee's doing, made easier for her by a freshly dead Hanzee not around to contradict her story.

Understand, I'm not asking you to answer these questions; rather, I'm just conveying what's still on my mind five days after seeing this episode, which is easily in my top 3 of best hours ever seen on television.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

First, the apparition man that Peggy was interacting with from the basement stairs that was giving her all the woo woo advice about being and not thinking.  Most people assume the apparition was a hallucination or delusion of Peggy's, based on her new age-y interests.  That would make sense to me except for one thing.  The apparition's vocabulary, grammatical construction, and somewhat complex thoughts were all beyond anything we've seen in terms of Peggy's intellectual ability to express or imagine.  That lead me to speculate whether the apparition was truly something outside of her self, such as alien.

Guess I'm going to try to answer anyway lol. The thing about Peggy interesting, I never really thought about it. I feel like I need to go back and rewatch the scene. I guess I thought it was something she came up with based on the seminars, books, etc. she was reading. That she would have picked up the language there.

So, when he says he's "tired of this world" and asks Peggy to give him a haircut, what's really going on there?  By "tired of this world" does he mean it in the sense of "it's time for me to die"? 

This scene really stayed with me, and I think it has layers and is open to lots of interpretation. I took it several ways- I took it like he was tired of violence and almost wanted to be reborn into something or someone new, and the haircut was symbolic of that, cutting away the past, becoming a new man. I also did hear it as something like a death wish, of just being tired of life in general. It came across to me like he was actually very comfortable with Peggy, and felt no fear at all, thus he just was able to sigh and be open and make that comment about being tired. 

Anyways it was a great scene and I was on the edge of my seat the whole ep. Tom and Lorenzo also have a few thoughts, though nothing earthshattering. 

https://tomandlorenzo.com/2015/12/fargo-loplop/ 

my top 3 of best hours ever seen on television.

Yeah. I enjoyed the whole season tremendously, I thought it was vastly superior to Season 1. 

• Love 5
On 12/2/2015 at 8:58 PM, knaankos said:

I do not like how race has been brought up in the past couple of episodes. We have gone almost the entire season with no mention of Milligan or Hanzee's race, it was;t much of a factor at all in the early parts of the season. Now out of nowhere they throw in some racial hate toward each of them, making it an issue. Is this supposed to make us forgive their murders?

I liked that in both cases racist jerks being racist is what pushed both men to finally turn on their own organizations.

On 12/4/2015 at 9:52 PM, CouchTater said:

It's odd to me that Lou and Hank and their people don't secure really fresh crime scenes: diner, the Blumquist house. Why was Hanzee able to go into and investigate so soon after crimes, literally minutes in the Blumquist house case, I think.

For Ed and Peggy's house I not sure what they were supposed to do. There are like 5 cops in all of Luverne and they are in the middle of a gang war with wanted people ( Dodd, Hanzee, Ed) on the loose. Who would they get to secure the house, Karl?

Also I liked that Ed mentioned that the motel he wanted to meet Mike at had two storeys. Bodies stacked up to the second floor.

• Love 1