Type keyword(s) to search

The Best of ELR: Your Favorite Moments

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:42 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

I saw a bloopers reel and the words for his "foot pills" that Brad Garrett and Ray Romano came up with were hysterical!!  One of them was "Young Frankenstein."

Found it.  Although it's called a blooper reel, my understanding is that they would deliberately try out different punchlines in certain scenes and use that one that got the biggest laugh, so these are more like outtakes than "mess ups." Another good example is when Ray guesses different places where Robert might have bought his mustard yellow suit in Robert's Date.  I think the one they kept was "Little Shop of Horrors?"  Can't find that one right now, but funny stuff!

We can't forget Timmy. When Robert had to teach driving class and wanted to try it out on his family he brought Timmy. After Marie answers a question Robert brings it back to his childhood which Marie says was a long time ago. Robert says he doesn't have a problem with it and then it shows a closeup of Timmy staring at Marie. That was hilarious.

I watched The Skit last night for probably the 1000th time, and I think that will always be one of my top 5 ELR episodes.

What I hated was that Marie was being very supportive right from the get go and yet of all of them "traffic cop Timmy" was meanest to her!  It was like Marie could never be a good  mother to Robbie even when she was being a good mother to Robbie!

Edited by CherryAmes
6 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

What I hated was that Marie was being very supportive right from the get go and yet of all of them "traffic cop Timmy" was meanest to her!  It was like Marie could never be a good  mother to Robbie even when she was being a good mother to Robbie!

Because Marie was a terrible, horrible person/mother who never did anything good for anybody. 

• Love 2

It's funny because by the end of the series I think Robert was probably my least favourite character but I just realized that at least four of my favourite episodes are "Robbie-centric".  The Cult, the Lucky Suit, Jazz Records and the one where Robert gets ethnic.  That last one was an earlier one when Robert was still sweet but the first two aren't.  Anyway maybe when Robert is the centre of the story he's not as obnoxious.  Or something.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

It's funny because by the end of the series I think Robert was probably my least favourite character but I just realized that at least four of my favourite episodes are "Robbie-centric".  The Cult, the Lucky Suit, Jazz Records and the one where Robert gets ethnic.  That last one was an earlier one when Robert was still sweet but the first two aren't.  Anyway maybe when Robert is the centre of the story he's not as obnoxious.  Or something.

So maybe if he had been the center of his mom's attention the way Ray was, he would be a functional human being instead of an overgrown 4 year old? :)

9 hours ago, deaja said:

So maybe if he had been the center of his mom's attention the way Ray was, he would be a functional human being instead of an overgrown 4 year old? :)

LOL!  We can hope!! :)

On 1/3/2018 at 7:12 AM, deaja said:
On 1/2/2018 at 2:31 PM, CherryAmes said:

One of my favorite Robert bits though was from the "Cousin Gerard" episode where Ray goes across the street to ask them if he's like his annoying cousin. When he gets angry when they say he is:

Frank: Hey hey! Don't get mad at us.

Marie: He's right, dear. You're the one who came over here asking us if you're annoying.

Robert: Which, in and of itself, is quite annoying.

Ray: Why, huh? Why is that annoying, Robert?

Robert: Because you already know the answer. See, that's you all over. Debra already told you yesterday you were like Gerard, right? But is that good enough for you? Noooo, you have to check with everybody else! Poll the world!  They won't mind. Because no one else is really important, are they, Raymond? What do you think, we're just hanging on hooks over here waiting for you to stop by?

(Gerard walks in)

Gerard: Hey. My mom says next time they're working on my sinuses, they should do a whole nose job. What do you think?

Robert: Well, we were having a conversation about something else, but we can stop to address your concerns,(turns to look at Raymond) GERARD.

Ray: Hey, Robby, you really wanna see annoying? Why don't you check in the mirror?

Robert: (sarcastically)Bravo. (Ray leaves) All right, break's over! Everybody back on the hooks.

Brad Garrett was so great in this scene and I also love it because it's a meta comment that sitcom supporting characters are usually just there for the main ones benefit and don't have a lives of their own!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4

I loved Marie's glasses just for Robert keeping that area over his lip straightened out the whole time!!  "Okay....I AM REALLY TISSED!"  and "TER-HATS!" are still in my vocabulary.

And the Halloween "coins" is good too.  "People are going to think we are having wild sex......"  Ray:  "Well if they are thinking it....."

On 11/6/2017 at 7:11 PM, ShadowSixx said:

We can't forget Timmy. When Robert had to teach driving class and wanted to try it out on his family he brought Timmy. After Marie answers a question Robert brings it back to his childhood which Marie says was a long time ago. Robert says he doesn't have a problem with it and then it shows a closeup of Timmy staring at Marie. That was hilarious.

I love Traffic Cop Timmy.  And then Frank gets all mad at Timmy!!!

20 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I loved Marie's glasses just for Robert keeping that area over his lip straightened out the whole time!!  "Okay....I AM REALLY TISSED!"  and "TER-HATS!" are still in my vocabulary.

Like Robert did in that episode, I always bring homemade cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving, and when I hand it over I always say "it's hantastic!"  I don't care how many eyerolls I get when I say it either :)

• Love 1

One of my favorite moments is from the "Hackidu" episode(ELRS's take on Pokemon) where you think it's going to be about Ray teaching his daughter about greed and that collecting is wrong and then turns into sweet moment of what a parent doing everything he can to make his child happy.

RAY: I know I know you want that Scramisaur. But there are some people out there and all they want to do is get rich. So they make kids think that things are more valuable than they really are. Things like pieces of paper with pictures on 'em.

ALLIE: You mean like money?

RAY: No no no. No, money is important pieces of paper with pictures on it. Look, what Daddy doesn't like about the Hackidu people is that they've made you believe that this Scramisaur thing is worth $65.

ALLIE: $65?

RAY: Yeah yeah, that's why you wanted it, right?

ALLIE: No.

RAY: Why'd you trade all your cards for it?

ALLIE: 'Cause Scramisaur's my favorite. I love him.

(long pause)

RAY: What do you mean you love him? That's the only reason you wanted it?

ALLIE: Yeah.

(Ray sighs realizing he messed up and now has to drive all the way to Amy's brother's comic book shop in New Jersey and pay 65 dollasrs to get a Hackidu card)

ALLIE:(pats his shoulder) It's okay, Daddy. 

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

One of my favorite moments is from the "Hackidu" episode(ELRS's take on Pokemon) where you think it's going to be about Ray teaching his daughter about greed and that collecting is wrong and then turns into sweet moment of what a parent doing everything he can to make his child happy.

I love when Ray does this.  In the party dress episode (despite the EPIC fail of not having Allie talk to her friends about the change in dress code) I loved that Ray got Allie the dress in the end because he wanted her to be happy.  He was right (or certainly not wrong) about spending that much money on a dress for a child's party) but it was a very touching moment when he gave Allie the dress.

• Love 1

I did like Ray's talk with Michael about him having to stay back in pre-K. I also loved the beginning of the episode when the teacher showed Ray & Debra the comparison between Michael & Geoffrey's school work. Especially the self portrait one, "Is that a nose? What the hell?"

• Love 1

I loved the teacher "And let's see then they were supposed to draw pictures of themselves. So here's Geoffrey. Here's Michael. At first he didn't want to draw, but then I talked him through it. It just lacks a little detail."

I love in Bad Moon Rising when Debra and Marie “take” the “magic pills.” “Oh look, Ray’s clothes just flew right into the hamper!” “Frank’s toenails just marched into the garbage can!”

2 hours ago, deaja said:

I love in Bad Moon Rising when Debra and Marie “take” the “magic pills.” “Oh look, Ray’s clothes just flew right into the hamper!” “Frank’s toenails just marched into the garbage can!”

Both Patricia Heaton and Ray Romano were fantastic in the episode.

Debra: Listen, if I had PMS and I'm not saying that I have is that how you help me, by taping me, by telling me I have PMS? That doesn't help me, Ray! That doesn't help me!

Ray: Well, what do you want me to do?! I don't know what to do! Show me what to do! - Just draw it out for me!

Debra: How about giving me a hug?

Ray: A HUG?!!

Debra: Yes, a hug! Did you ever think of hugging me, you jerk?!

Ray: Well, it's pretty hard to hug someone who's trying to kill you!

Debra: Yeah, well, it never occurred to you. You've never tried it before!  

Ray: Well, look, this is not huggable! This this is not Debra! This is the woman who shows up once a month to rip into me like a monkey on a cupcake! All right, that's it! That's the reason I taped you, so you could hear yourself and maybe admit that there might be a problem that isn't just me being a dorkwang or whatever!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

And then at the end where she’s mad and he hugs her and she gets even madder “the hug was your idea!!!!” That episode cracks me up.

On 2/7/2018 at 6:31 PM, BlossomCulp said:

I loved the teacher "And let's see then they were supposed to draw pictures of themselves. So here's Geoffrey. Here's Michael. At first he didn't want to draw, but then I talked him through it. It just lacks a little detail."

I used that line when showing some parents (I am a special ed teacher) a picture that a student drew of me.  It looked nothing like a human!   "It just lacks a little detail!"  Like a head, a mouth, a nose, eyes or hair.

I don't use this line at school (haha) but I love the line of Debra's:  "These were WORKING BREASTS!" all the time.  Let's just say....gravity came for me.  

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 1

I love Father Hubley in the later seasons episode about Ray and Debra first having sex,  and Marie drags him along in the  hopes that he'll talk them out of it.

"I was told there would be a lasagna."

"Wait a minute! You mean there's no lasagna HERE!?" He's so indignant, I laugh every time.

• Love 4

I just saw The Cult again the other day.  Love this episode so much :).  I really needed something funny and light right about now!  The scene with Ray supposedly wrestling Robert into the chair will always have me laughing out loud.

• Love 3

My parents never like The Cult, so I just assumed it was a bad episode and never really watched it, but then I did, and I agree, it's really funny!  I love the cult getting all excited about Ray being there & then they do that weak "Robert Robert woooo" chant :)

• Love 3

Another good one that showed up on my PVR this week is the "she ate a fly" episode.  The payoff at the end with Amy is gold (of course!!) but Ray when he is trying to convey his horror at what he has seen Angela do is just so, so funny! I admit I did find it irritating that Debra and Robert completely dismiss his eye witness account of the fly eating, but in fairness it's so bizarre and gross I guess it is understandable that they'd rather assume it was a flying crouton :).

• Love 2