Type keyword(s) to search

The Best of ELR: Your Favorite Moments

(edited)

The Best of ELR: Your Favorite Moments

Some of my favorite moments and/or episodes are when all 2-3 of the families are together.  Whether Debra's parents and the Barones, Amy's parents and the Barones or all 3 of them.  For example I love the episode where we learn Pat smokes, Hank liked to blow stuff up, and Amy turns Roberts toothbrush.  I also liked when the Barones were at Amy's place and Marie wouldn't let Frank eat a muffin -  and he ended up with a pants-muffin.  "Nothing good can come from family!"  Or when Pat kills the bird.

But I do also really like some of the core cast episodes.  Like when Ray tells Debra the PTA said she dressed trampy and she comes out all "tarted up".  And the whole set of episodes with Robert in a cult to get Debra and Marie talking to each other again.

Edited by aquarian1
  • Love 1
(edited)

There are so many awesome moments from this series.  I loved any time that Debra got to cut loose and vent about Marie, like the time Marie changed out the seasoning label on the meatball recipe.  

Edited by smiley13
  • Love 1
(edited)

I love the one with Aunt Serina.  The family is so nice to each other, then once they realized she wasn't related to them it was back to their mean ways!

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 1

So many favorites for me.

When Amy and Robert "do it" at Ray's house, in the basement, and Marie comes over with a lasagna and catches them.  Amy, with just Robert's big pants on, says to Marie "And sometimes your noodles are overcooked" and everyone gasps.  lol

The show about Marie's lost canister.  Frank takes the heat for Debra and she asks him why he did that and he says "You are like a daughter to me."  Sweet!

I also like the who episode when Ray stays home with one of the twins (Michael?) because he refuses to go to school.  Ray gets to the bottom of why and solves the problem and then they have a great and fun day of father and son bonding.

And the whole episode where the electricity is out and the guys and Debra and Amy do the crazy dancing at the end.

• Love 2

And the whole episode where the electricity is out and the guys and Debra and Amy do the crazy dancing at the end.

Oh yes, Snow Day. In fact, that season had consecutive episodes that I rewatch perhaps too much...The Kicker, Season's Greetings, Tissues, and Snow Day. But then along comes Cookies (where Peggy "beats" Ray up...not crazy about that one.

I love the cookie lady episode! My favorite moment comes when Peggy's leaning over the table towards Ray and he moves the American Flag out of the way and says: "I'm right here." Romano's delivery of that line slays me every time. Snow Day is easily one of my all-time favorites as well. The entire ensemble was really clicking like a well-oiled machine in that episode.

• Love 1

I've loved Amy Aquino ever since she played the mom on the short-lived series Brooklyn Bridge, so it was nice to see ELR put her talents to good use (as Peggy).

Some of my favorite episodes are the ones with Lois and Warren, but most especially Older Women, when Warren brings his new, older girlfriend to Thanksgiving shortly after the divorce.  There are so many hysterically funny lines and bits of physical comedy in this one, but it also touches realistically on some marital themes, like temptation and the yearning (even if not acted upon) for something new.

I also have a soft spot for Hackidu, both because of Ray's nemesis (I love the way Ray almost growls Parker) and for Paul Reubens' bizarre take on Russell.  I never really "got" Pee-wee Herman, but I think Reubens is a terrific comic actor (also love his turn as Prince Gerhardt on 30 Rock).

• Love 2

The scene where Marie was ranting about the fruit of the month club.  So funny and totally reminded me of my mom.  Oh, and the counseling session with Charles Durning about The Angry Family.

I loved how many times over the course of the series there was a throwback to the Fruit of the Month club. Even when Frank and Marie leave for the home in New Jersey "There was always too much fruit in here!"

Speaking of, one of my favorite scenes is in the show when they have to move back from the home in New Jersey.  The scene were the directors are talking about how awful they are cracks me up every time.  "Your mother has a way of seeming to give a compliment, but really she's INSULTING you."  "It's now a one-woman show."  on and on.  Priceless.

Agreed, Inquisitionist, Lois and Warren were almost always comedy gold. I believe the only episode I didn't care for was when they announced their separation and Debra broke down in tears. Patricia Heaton has great comic timing, but she's kind of a lousy crier.

Hackidu is a gem, from start to finish. "Mint condition. No creases."

I loved the times when Marie actually gave Debra good advice, like the episode with the giant fork and spoon.

That one had me rolling because my mom actually has a set of those in her kitchen.

To this day, when two of my family members Iare arguing and it's not going anywhere, someone always says, "guys, don't let a suitcase full of cheese be your big fork and spoon."

• Love 5

When Ray did that dance to Voulez Vous Coucher Avec Moi ..

I think it was the one where Ray spys on Debra through the window and catches her crying.  She admits she likes to cry and tells Ray that one of the things she does to get her in the mood is to listen to the song from Ice Castles.  Later, to see if it'll work for him, Ray puts on the Ice Castles song and sits on the couch with a box of tissues next to him.  He makes a "crying face" but to no avail, so he tunes in to Voulez Vous and starts dancing.

Oops. I thought you were asking, "When did Ray DO that dance...." Sorry!

Edited by HappyPeppyPerson
  • Love 2

Marie ruins Robert's lucky suit ("I wasn't applying for a job at the Gap"!)

"The Angry Family", especially the way Michael reads his title and looks at his family with that angelic "aren't you proud of me" smile

The Can Opener

Robert's Wedding

• Love 1

Oh, the PMS episode ("Bad Moon Rising") - always cracks me up. "You're on me like a monkey on a cupcake!"

Love the frog lady episode - "She ate a FLY" - especially the end where Robert accidentally causes a tray of drinks to spill over a lady in a bar, who turns out to be Amy. The audience gasp at that reveal was priceless!

But I think my favorite is "Halloween Candy", where Frank accidentally hands out condoms to the trick or treaters. Classic comedy, and Frank and Marie as Frankenstein and the Bride of Frankenstein always cracks me up!

• Love 1

You've all covered most of my favorites, so I'll just add: The Plan where Ray tells Robert to fake being bad at the wedding invitations so she'll take over, The Liars (I think) where one little lie spirals out of control (Robert: "this is great, usually I'm behind the glass for this part"), and I can't remember the title but it's early in the series - when the cable goes out so they play Scruples.  I had to throw out that game because the one time we played it, it worked out almost exactly like it did on the show.  Do not play games with friends where you have to prove they're lying to win!  It leads to things like "of course he took the pizza, look at him - does he look like a person who ever turns down a free slice of pizza?  Oh wait ... let me rephrase that."

And I also loved the fruit - it's like they stole that bit directly from my parents. 

• Love 1

My absolute favorite was the Frog Lady of Massapequa, when Robert's date ate the fly and Raymond couldn't get anyone to believe him.  I couldn't stop laughing

That episode was just full of hilarious moments.  I loved Frank's little frog tongue gesture.

One of my favorites that hasn't been mentioned is after Marie crashed the car through the front door and Ray freaked out about the wallpaper.  It was a spectacular rant and I think the only time Debra wanted Ray to ease up on his parents.

• Love 1

While I agree with all of you, the episode I try to NEVER miss is the one about the can opener--the monologue with Frank explaining why he took the jar from the special drippings for his change for the tollbooth was heartbreaking--that HAD to have come from one of the writers or someone working on  the show--there was something about it that was exceptional.  I also loved the way they showed Ray and Debra's argument from both sides with flashbacks--just enough to be correct on both sides.

• Love 1

Older Women.  The group's reactions to Warren's date, Emma, and the ensuing argument this engendered about fidelity had so many great moments.  Frank particularly shone in his anecdote about Ray and Debra's 200-pound cleaning woman, Claudia.  "There was always a little rumba in the horn section."  "Even though she was not what you'd call classically beautiful, I could see what Ray saw in her."  "What, I'm not a monk." 

But I think my favorite exchange is this one.

Warren:  It's not all about looks and sex for me.

Ray:  OK, but is any of it?

• Love 2

I'm indifferent to The Breakup Tape, except for Ray's poem to Debra's ears: "So round and nice/with a subtle ridge/there's no bone in there/it's cartilage." It always makes me giggle, especially since I think her ears are Patricia Heaton's worst feature.

I caught the Cousin Gerard episode a couple of days ago. I think Fred Stoller is something of a creep in real life, but oh man was he believable as Ray's cousin. This show did such a good job casting recurring roles. Cousin Gerard, Father Hubley, the crew at the lodge, Bernie and Linda, the twins' teachers, Bill Parker, Officer Judy...I loved them all.

• Love 2
(edited)

This is my favorite episode too.  Was this the same episode with the suitcase in the hallway?  

I never watched this show when it was on primetime.  I fell in love with it just now.  Go figure.  

ETA:  I thought I quoted someone who mentioned the spoon and fork on the wall......same episode, right?  

OH OH OH, and when Debra gets drunk at Amy's shower and falls asleep in her car.  I LOVE THIS ONE!

Edited by Lablover27

I love the one where Robert screws up the wedding invitations as a "gift" to Amy.  Attire optional always makes me laugh.  And what REALLY makes me laugh is, for a wedding that is black tie optional, it certainly didn't look like that type of venue.

• Love 2

I love the one where Robert screws up the wedding invitations as a "gift" to Amy.  Attire optional always makes me laugh.  And what REALLY makes me laugh is, for a wedding that is black tie optional, it certainly didn't look like that type of venue.

The ending of that episode is never shown in syndication, so when I caught it on Netflix a couple weeks ago it was like a bonus scene. The McDougalls got one of the original invitations and were like "OH NO! THEY'RE NUDISTS!!!!!"

My favorites are when Marie drives through the front door. The reactions of all were priceless. The dog walks through the house and Ali wants to keep it.

Second is when Marie and Frank go to the retirement home and then get kicked out. Too funny.

Honorable mention: the Italy shows.

• Love 1

My favorite episodes is the "Faux Pas" cause they were slinging them left and right and loved the ending when Amy comes in to retrieve that man's keys and she said something about Marie not knowing that Marie was behind the door. Amy's reaction was priceless.

I also love the "Cookies" episode which started the Ray vs Peggy rivalry.

"T-Ball" is another favorite of mine. That guy going all stupid over Debra bringing a box of pretzels. 

I love "Baggage" for some reason when Ray and Debra both refuse to move the luggage. Love when Ray tells the story and he says how Debra pulled a sweater right out of it and wears it.

"The Skit" is hilarious, I cannot stop laughing at, "Oh stop Ray, I'm trying to heat up soup from a can."

"The Fly" is my all time favorite, it's the funniest episode ever.

• Love 1

I love "Baggage" for some reason when Ray and Debra both refuse to move the luggage. Love when Ray tells the story and he says how Debra pulled a sweater right out of it and wears it.

I love when Ray gets even & wears that super wrinkled shirt from the suitcase :)

Baggage is one of my favorites "Don't let a suitcase become your big fork and spoon."  And then the ending when Marie moves  them, finds the outline on the wallpaper and yells at Frank "This is all your fault!"  "Hey, when did we get those?"  And Ray's "luggage" from the supermarket?  So much good in that episode.

I also agree that The Skit is great. I love the part where "Frank and Marie" enter the house by kicking down the door. Robert also is great in that episode. Where he's laughing at Frank and Marie's impersonation of Ray and Debra and he can't breathe to the part where he sits down for Ray's lecture on humor - he really is one of the stars of that episode comedically, I think.  Robert annoys me in a lot of episodes, but when he's given a chance to really be funny, I think Brad Garrett does a great job.

The woman eating the fly episode will never not be funny- loved it. Same with the suitcase episode and Marie driving a car through the house.

One of the funniest scenes was when everyone celebrated Marie and Frank going to the retirement show and Ray trying to lift Debra on the fridge like Robert did to Amy.

• Love 1

I do like the "Held Back" episode where Debra and Ray learn that Geoffrey is progressing normally and Michael is a little slow in developing. I like the talk Ray had with Michael towards the end in the bedroom.

• Love 1

My favorite episodes is the "Faux Pas" cause they were slinging them left and right and loved the ending when Amy comes in to retrieve that man's keys and she said something about Marie not knowing that Marie was behind the door. Amy's reaction was priceless.

My favorite moment is also from that episode. When Ray brings up the time Robert arrested the guy for throwing up gang signs:

Ray: What was he really doing, Robert?

Robert: ...being deaf

Edited by spaceytraci1208
  • Love 2

For all my dislike of overbearing Marie I have to admit some of my favourite moments belong to her.  Tonight I saw the episode where Ray loses out on a book deal at the same time that Robert makes lieutenant.  Robert and Ray have their big fight which results in Marie coming in, looking around the scene angrily and saying "this is why we can't have nice things".  No matter how many times I see this I laugh out loud.  She is so much Every Mom when she says this!

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 2

Raybert !!!

any episodes where Ray & Robert act like brothers & work together.  

Probably a UO but I liked when the wives thought the guys were all going to therapy but where really going to the race track.   When Frank says he sees a  sure thing a horse named "big mouth Marie" makes me laugh every time.  I may be laughing now LOL

Edited by tribeca
  • Love 1

I think liking the newer episodes is an unpopular opinion, but I like the therapy one as well.  But then again, I also like the much disliked episode with the custodian!

Edited by ByTor

I disliked that the first time I saw it and basically avoided it in reruns, then I saw it again and realized just how funny it actually was.  Sure, uncomfortable to watch in parts, but actually a very well written and well acted little episode.  Two highlights are the ones already mentioned about  Robert and his gang signs and then poor Amy at the end!  You had to wonder what everyone said (in theory of course) afterwards!

• Love 1

Another of my favorite moment Is the Charity episode when Ray comes home upset that Robert was entertaining the patients and says, "He doesn't even bother to dress the doll up like a doctor, he's such a hack." It was the way he said it.

• Love 1