Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: My Mom, Greg's Mom, And Josh's Sweet Dance Moves

I want to see Hugh Laurie as Rebecca's Irish Catholic father before the season is over. Is that too much to ask?

Her father has already been cast and appeared on screen (Jay Huguley). He's another TWD Alexandria alum.

The logic of Hollywood casting is rarely logical.

Just because her dad showed up in flashbacks doesn't mean they'd use the same actor for present-day scenes.

Well he also called Tovah his CEG wife on Twitter this past Sunday.

(spoilers if you're behind on TWD)

I just caught up with this episode after a grueling week.  I'm too tired to do much interpretation but I do have to say I really thought so many posts here nailed it.  I love reading them when I'm tired and I can't think of this stuff myself!

ITA that Paula as the British Jew was genius - I split my sides, especially because my grandfather and his family were British Jews.  Paula's mom reminded me of my best friend's Jewish mom - right down to the put downs and taking the gift back.  It hit a little too close to home.  I don't think my friend would have enjoyed this episode, to be honest.  At least I could appreciate the humor.  I liked finding out that Rebecca is half Irish and that we just might meet her father.

I do hope they lose the sabotaging angle for Paula.  I liked her better in this episode.  I have been saying for weeks that I hope Rebecca ends up with Greg but that the show would probably put everyone with everyone else until that finally happens.  If Greg has an epiphany about himself regarding his mother, he may become less depressing and more attractive to Rebecca.  At least that's what I'm hoping for.  They really do have so much more in common.  Of course now Josh is vowing to grow up so perhaps he will change as well.  This should be interesting.  I'm glad there are several more episodes.  It's insane that more people aren't watching this.

• Love 1

First, Kudos to Rachel Bloom for nailing the Yiddish. My Yiddish isn't that good! 

Second, the Bathroom song was a work of genius and so triggering that I actually considered calling my therapist. Those things have actually been said to me. And I choked on "boycotting cheddar cheese" and "greasy goyish food" way too close to home. 

Greg is just as much a self centered narcissist as Rebecca, it's kinda adorable to see he's not much of a better person. The two really do need time apart before they can do awesome duets. 

And Josh continues to be awesome. I can see why Rebecca adores him. 

Now, back to my fantasies of calling my mother an Uber. 

• Love 2

Rebecca's mother is a self-centered monster. I don't think there was any breakthrough at the end. Of course she loves her daughter—what abusive thinks she's abusive? The whole bullying about going home for Passover put things back at square one, AFAIC. Maybe Rebecca can let go a bit more, but she's never going to not be a level 5 mom pleaser. 

Tovah Feldshuh is terrifyingly good in the role, and it's probably catnip for her at this point in her career. 

I like Paula a lot. I don't like her continued sabotaging of Rebecca and Greg, but Rebecca doesn't seem to mind (yet), so I'm willing to give her a pass on it. Paula is living vicariously through Rebecca at the moment, but Paula does give Rebecca reality checks every now and then.

Oh I have to chime in to say I didn't see bullying... Passover is to Jews what Christmas is to Christians in terms of family traditions and beings together. Hanukkah is a minor holiday but I've never felt so lonesome in my life the few times incouldnt make it home for passover.

It's such a joy to see all these great theater actors on TV strutting their stuff!

Did not see greather coming. Dude, weak and then a kiss. Love it!

I also have to say I absolutely adore that rebecca, like rachel, is Jewish as in she just happens to be, no big deal, just like josh is Filipino-American. I never saw an ingenue character on TV growing up just happened to be Jewish. Actually Thirtysomething was one of the first shows I ever saw characters have it be a real part of life as it is for most people, not just a jokey thing but not super orthodox either... So nice to see Mel Davis. Though I think she should lose the bangs.

So glad I found this show. Learned about it in the times, and better late than never.

• Love 1

I thought this was one of the strongest episodes, other than the resolution with Rebecca's mom -- she's just too cartoonishly horrible (and has, as we've seen, caused Rebecca way too much actual psychological damage) for the "oh, I actually love you" stuff to not feel unearned.

• Love 1

I thought this was one of the strongest episodes, other than the resolution with Rebecca's mom -- she's just too cartoonishly horrible (and has, as we've seen, caused Rebecca way too much actual psychological damage) for the "oh, I actually love you" stuff to not feel unearned.

I mulled over this point myself. In the end I felt OK about it as depicted because everything isn't magically OK afterwards. Even after Rebecca caves a bit and agrees to visit for Passover, she's still pissed about it all, letting Mom know that she's still taking Über to the airport, and she can carry her own damn luggage.

I binge watched all of the episodes over the NYC Blizzard this weekend and this episode was my favorite. Loved The Bathroom Song and California Christmastime - replayed both several times. However, my hands-down favorite part of the episode was British Jewish Paula. Brilliant.

Loved seeing Hope from Thirtysomething as Greg's mother. I think the temporary pairing of Heather and Greg is inspired - and will be hilarious. Love Heather's deadpan comments.

Mama Bunch is a real piece of work. Forgot to mention that I loved the Yiddish in the opening scene.

I mulled over this point myself. In the end I felt OK about it as depicted because everything isn't magically OK afterwards. Even after Rebecca caves a bit and agrees to visit for Passover, she's still pissed about it all, letting Mom know that she's still taking Über to the airport, and she can carry her own damn luggage.

I'm completely ok with the ending as well.  Moms like that ... they cast you out and reel you in and then cast you back again ... I didn't for one minute think that was the resolution, or that it hadn't happened before.  If I had to think about whether it was earned or unearned - that scene was earned ... they're just using counterfeit money.

My fav episode only cause we were spared her quest for Josh.

Im kind of hoping that as the show continues, Rebecca realizes she doesnt need a man and to love herself.  Id rather she be alone then with a guy.

Very late to the party but had to post my love for the Where’s Your Bathroom? song. Maybe I don’t fully get it because I’m not Jewish but I thought it was hilarious. She’s a terrible mother but I loved it. 

Also enjoed California Christmas. It is too bad Valencia couldn’t have been included somehow.

• Love 2
On 3/24/2019 at 6:12 AM, Blue Plastic said:

Very late to the party but had to post my love for the Where’s Your Bathroom? song. Maybe I don’t fully get it because I’m not Jewish but I thought it was hilarious. She’s a terrible mother but I loved it. 

Agreed! This song makes me think of both my relationship with my mom, and her relationship with her mom (my grandma), where the relationship(s) embody that perfect combination of crazy-making, loving, crazy-making again, passive aggressive, loving again, etc. We're not Jewish, but I see so much of my family's mother-daughter relationships in Naomi and Rebecca.

• Love 1