Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: My Mom, Greg's Mom, And Josh's Sweet Dance Moves

MIDSEASON FINALE!

It is the holidays and Rebecca's mom decides to come visit her in West Covina. Old habits die hard and Rebecca, eager to please her mom, embellishes some facts about her life, which all comes crashing down at a local holiday event. Meanwhile, Greg spends Christmas Eve with his mother and discovers he actually might be the problem relative.

Promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNwxjwUeRMc

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

So excited for tonight's episode! I am going to try to hold out on listening to the song ahead of time because I like to be unspoiled. 

This is completely me making something out of nothing, but I love that it's the first time Greg's name appears in the episode title. I am taking it as a sign that he is beginning to occupy some of the space in her mind that Josh does. Probably too much of an extrapolation, but hey, I'll take what I can get...

• Love 1

Well, I loved that.

I was surprised that for the first time there was no tag-epilog. But maybe that'll be the mark of the finale episodes, whether mid-season or end-of-season. If so, we had a classic Act I Finale ensemble to finish with, drawing all the regulars together in song and dance for the first time.

• Love 1

Oh gosh, this episode tugged at my heartstrings. I don't know how I feel about Heather and Greg. On one hand, I'm happy for them and it could definitely be cute. But come on, we all know where this is going, right? No? Maybe I'm the only one who isn't giving up on Rebecca and Greg that easily - especially since this episode only solidified for me how much the two of them have in common (but obviously not always in the healthiest ways). Oh well. I think this will be good for them both, and I do like Heather a lot. I'm curious how Rebecca will react. 

There were so many amazing moments this episode! Everything with her mom was phenomenal, particularly her speech at the end. And I enjoyed her entrance song, although I have to admit, it wasn't among my favorites of the season. I loved everything at Greg's house - it was really great to see him at his worst. And I liked the theme of everyone growing up. Don't we all regress to our teenage selves when we're around family for the holidays? A really fun episode. 

• Love 7

Tovah was perfectly cast as Rebecca's mother. Her song was hilarious but also liked their final scene together so that you know Rachel's mother is more than the overbearing Jewish mother stereotype. 

I was surprised they went there with Heather and Greg, but I'm not upset about it. It was a genuine swerve for me and I think subverting expectations is a good thing here. I do think Greg is ultimately a romantic prospect for Rebecca, but usually shows would have him continue to pine for her. I like that he didn't and may have found some fun with Heather even if it won't last.

• Love 4

I thought some of Greg's lines were the funniest this episode, alongside Paula's weird fake British thing.

I also liked the Heather and Greg thing because it caught me by surprise, made me laugh and could be kind of intriguing. I like the idea of 'settling' becoming somewhat of theme around relationships in this series.

• Love 1

Fuc, fuck, fuck. Everytime I look at the ratings for CEG I want to cry. Why is nobody watching this? This is my favorite new show in a number of years - it's superb! I didn't really appreciate the Bathroom song at first, but rewatching it, it's brilliant. It just completely exhausts the audience at first meeting the mom, putting us right in Rebecca's shoes. And California Christmas was a perfect way to sign off for 6 weeks. It's so glad it got 5 additional episodes.

• Love 2

I used to be pretty cynical about people saying dancers should smile (I mean, if they're dancing well, that seems sufficient), but Josh's big smiles really did make his dancing like 10% more awesome.  And boy, he's got moves!

Heather inviting herself to Greg's mom's party was pretty TV-ridiculous, and yet I liked the kiss.  And I liked that Greg accepted the reality of his being the family jerk when directly called on it. (Which honestly I think is pretty unrealistic; a lot of times people dig in even harder when challenged. But then again, we want to see stories on TV wrap up a little neater than real life.)

Everything about Rebecca's truly over-the-top efforts to please her mom was nuts.  Actually, come to think of it, I think that's kind of what felt off for me. The whole setup was classic farce but it died down rather than have a classic farce's explosive climax where all the lies finally collapse simultaneously.

Everything about Rebecca's truly over-the-top efforts to please her mom was nuts.  Actually, come to think of it, I think that's kind of what felt off for me. The whole setup was classic farce but it died down rather than have a classic farce's explosive climax where all the lies finally collapse simultaneously.

Could they have taken it further? Oh yes. But I'm actually glad they didn't - sometimes the cringe comedy on this show is too much for me. I'm not sure I could have stood more humiliation for Becs.

My problem with this episode boils down to a fact that they tried to fit in too much plot and character development. If in case of Rebecca and her mom it worked out nicely (if you can call this tenuous truce "nice" - Mrs. Bunch, even if she indeed does love her daughter, is/was still a bad parent who messed up her child's mental health), Greg's subplot was simply too rushed. I surprisingly loved Heather's involvement, thought she contributed greatly and don't mind the kiss (more on that below). Unfortunately, Greg vs. his mother needed more time to be fleshed out. I'd appreciate if the show acknowledged that while he apologized for being a dick as he absolutely should have, his issues are not actually resolved. After all, with both his dad and his mom being such nice, warm people, and Greg growing up to be a bitter grump - this will take more than one semi-successful Christmas Eve-Eve dinner for him to work through that.

I like Josh, but his storyline this week was silly and not particularly meaningful. It doesn't help that it's pretty much a retreat from Aloha Tech Center, only thinner and less funny. I prefer watching him fretting over his romantic life, as I think it has more potential for juicy drama. Of course the writers want to develop him as a character first, but... there's no need! We already get him, he's a sunny, uncomplicated sweetheart mentally stuck in high-school. For Josh/Rebecca to work (for now), that's enough. Once the real trouble with his own love triangle starts (this is only a foretaste), he'll be forced to grow up anyway.

Speaking of love polygons... I find it really interesting how they're pairing up and contrasting various characters. As it stands now, Josh and Rebecca are super cute together and have great chemistry. Josh brings out her sweet, charming side and they obviously find great comfort in each other's presence: mutual adoration and validation. Unfortunately, he hasn't been exposed to most of her crazy recently and seems to forgotten how "dramatic and weird" she can get. He seeks a cheerful, laid-back gal much like himself and Rebecca (nor Valencia) is just not it. And from Rebecca's side, putting aside her blind obsession for a moment, she ignores that he's just too chill for her and obviously their life goals and intellect are drastically different. Mirroring these two, we have Greg and Heather. I think they aren't a bad match at all, but we'll have to see more of them together to really for an opinion and prediction for their future. I'm curious to see how their characters will clash, with a dramatic (in his own way) and hard-working Greg and super-chilled but still level-headed Heather. They do share bluntness though - I like that about this pairing.

The question is: does putting together two people with very similar issues like Greg and Rebecca could work too? They have fantastic chemistry, great banter and lots of things in common - but if together, wouldn't they just make each other miserable? Same if we got a hypothetical pairing of Josh and Heather - these two would accomplish nothing in their lives (but maybe they'd be happier that way). I wonder if balancing each other out works best for these four. Anyway, I'm very intrigued about where all of this is going. Winter break is going to be rough :/

As a sidenote: British Jew Paula slayed. Woman, stop enabling Rebecca and just be that awesome always, okay?

• Love 4

I agree with you DB--this show deserves a bigger audience. While I doubt that there is much crossover appeal between this show and the walking dead, it amazed me how versatile Tovah Feldshuh is in playing such distinctly different characters. And even though her lip synching was not exact, it was still pretty damn good. I loved both songs this episode. The Christmas one should become a cult classic. And Josh amazed me with his athletic dancing--I had heretofore thought he was chubby, but I guess that was mostly muscle. Greg and Paula continue to be two of the greatest supporting characters in any show, and Heather is the "Kramer" of the show--so off the wall, but just adorable.

I don't know if the show keeps getting better or it's simply that my affection for it keeps growing, but I love it! I keep replaying "California Christmastime." Everyone got a part! I was so jazzed that even Heather got a line that I couldn't stop grinning even though it was about skin cancer and I'm waiting to hear if I have malignant melanoma, which killed my mother and uncle (admittedly, gallows humor is my thing).  

When the show comes back I'll watch live and tweet during the show and in the meantime get other people to watch. It's a gem. 

• Love 1

I don't know if the show keeps getting better or it's simply that my affection for it keeps growing,

Good point.  I don't know either!  I loved this episode.  I don't watch with an analytical eye.  I just sit back and enjoy the superior writing, songs and witty plot.  

Glad to see more of Heather (love her) and happy Calvin is still around.  I sense we will see he and Paula heat up in the next 5 episodes.   There is a lot of opportunity there.   

If this is renewed (oh please, oh please) they have fertile ground for many romantic collisions. 

• Love 1

I love this show. The opening number reminded me of EVERYTIME my mom visits me in my own home. I am still a mom pleaser and I am 40! As a Jewish woman, I have to say the opening number rang true, and made me extremely anxious. Good job, show.

• Love 5

I was slightly disappointed this week, though that finale number with EVERYONE singing and dancing almost made up for it and what a way to go out. January 25th feels so far away. 

But for what didn't work...Greg's been going to his mom's for several years, one can assume, and has he been this assholish with all the digs all this time? How could his mom not call him on it previously and them not talk out that she didn't really abandon him, he chose his dad? I greatly appreciated Heather's presence to cut through the bullshit but it just seemed so contrived overall and he was such a jerk that it kind of turned me right off. 

Likewise, so so glad to see Broadway star Tovah Feldshuh get a song (she has been EVERYWHERE lately, what with Walking Dead, Flesh and Bone, and this show). But I found the big climax to their fight a little disappointing because Rebecca didn't fess up that her "fabulous life" in New York was actually making her miserable and she wasn't happy and THAT is why she really moved. And that she doesn't want to be as miserable as her mother seems to be with life. Maybe that's too self-actualized/self-aware for her at this point but it seems like they were skirting around it and then just failed to nail it.

Speaking of love polygons... I find it really interesting how they're pairing up and contrasting various characters. As it stands now, Josh and Rebecca are super cute together and have great chemistry. Josh brings out her sweet, charming side and they obviously find great comfort in each other's presence: mutual adoration and validation. Unfortunately, he hasn't been exposed to most of her crazy recently and seems to forgotten how "dramatic and weird" she can get. He seeks a cheerful, laid-back gal much like himself and Rebecca (nor Valencia) is just not it. And from Rebecca's side, putting aside her blind obsession for a moment, she ignores that he's just too chill for her and obviously their life goals and intellect are drastically different. Mirroring these two, we have Greg and Heather. I think they aren't a bad match at all, but we'll have to see more of them together to really for an opinion and prediction for their future. I'm curious to see how their characters will clash, with a dramatic (in his own way) and hard-working Greg and super-chilled but still level-headed Heather. They do share bluntness though - I like that about this pairing.

The question is: does putting together two people with very similar issues like Greg and Rebecca could work too? They have fantastic chemistry, great banter and lots of things in common - but if together, wouldn't they just make each other miserable? Same if we got a hypothetical pairing of Josh and Heather - these two would accomplish nothing in their lives (but maybe they'd be happier that way). I wonder if balancing each other out works best for these four. Anyway, I'm very intrigued about where all of this is going. Winter break is going to be rough :/

I love all of this analysis on the love pairings and very much agree. I do think that Josh and Rebecca share a similar childlike sensibility (immaturity if we want to be harsh) and nostalgia for the past which is making it easy for them to bond, but isn't necessarily a really healthy thing to build a relationship on. And I think at the moment he does see Rebecca as cheerful and laid-back (because she's very much trying to come across that way) in stark contrast to Valencia. But I do find them charming together, far more often than I do with Rebecca and Greg--although they were great on their failed date at the festival/food truck park thingy until Rebecca freaked out. I have to admit that I see them right now as better off being really good friends than romantic partners though. I appreciate the way the show is able to shift the relationships to fit the narratives but without it seeming too unnatural or manipulative. Heather and Greg could be interesting for awhile. 

British Jewish Paula was the best. Just the best.

And whoever called the "can't we have a shirtless beach volleyball game with White Josh?" might be in luck next episode judging by the previews!

• Love 2

I didn't get the impression that Heather/Greg was going to be a real thing. She's the cool millennial who doesn't believe in defined relationships, or she'll get bored pretty quickly.

But I love them as a short term hook up. 

Tovah was amazing. I've been eagerly awaiting her first song since I recognized her voice overs, and I was not disappointed. 

Edited by sacrebleu
  • Love 1

When the show comes back I'll watch live and tweet during the show and in the meantime get other people to watch. It's a gem.

That is exactly what I was thinking! At first, I thought this show would be cancelled ASAP, so I didn't bother telling many people about it (too many broken hearts!), but now that it might actually have a chance? I want to put it all over my social media, tell my friends about it, tell my family, tell random passersby on the street, whoever will listen. Its really not like anything else on TV right now, and it deserves to stick around. 

• Love 5

I really enjoyed the parallels between Greg and Rebecca's "mommy issues" where neither really see their mothers how an outsider would. Greg acts as if his mother pulls the crap that Rebecca's does (I thoroughly hate the "your friends are losers" junk) and Rebecca seems to think she could end up with a supportive mother like Greg's mom appears to have tried to be.

British Jewish Paula was so well acted! A delight.

My favorite tiny moment? Daryl's California Christmastime attire: Christmas sweater, green gym shorts, white socks, Birkenstocks. Sartorial perfection.

• Love 1

I thought Rebecca's mother got off entirely too easy at the end. No, Mrs. Bunch, "teaching" Rebecca to survive the coming of the Cossacks -- really? in the 21st-century? -- does not excuse your years of emotional abuse to your daughter, and I felt that her protestations of love were too forced and facile. And what was with Tovah Feldshuh's face? Too much plastic surgery? It barely moved. That said, I loved the "Where's the Bathroom?" song.

I also thought Greg's story resolved too quickly. There was no investment in his bad relationship with his mother, because we never heard about it until now (I had thought his father was a widower who raised his son alone). While I enjoyed the presence of the neighbor here, she is definitely a character to be used sparingly. 

Josh's behavior was disappointing -- I liked that he was willing to help the kids (I believe the lead dancer used to be on Disney's "Shake It Up"), but not that he had his mom call in sick to his job, a job he really, really wanted two or three episodes ago.

Loved the big production number at the end. 

I know I'm venturing into UO territory here, but I don't like Paula and each episode increases that dislike -- maybe because she'll do everything she can to sabotage Rebecca and Greg or that she takes no responsibility for the death of her own marriage and her rotten kids. Plus, she comes across as a bully, especially when dealing with her coworkers.

• Love 1

I thought California Christmastime was the weakest song of the series yet, which bummed me out because conceptually...it shoulda coulda woulda been great. It just wasn't working for me.

Otherwise I really enjoyed the episode but that song was a letdown.

• Love 3

That is exactly what I was thinking! At first, I thought this show would be cancelled ASAP, so I didn't bother telling many people about it (too many broken hearts!), but now that it might actually have a chance? I want to put it all over my social media, tell my friends about it, tell my family, tell random passersby on the street, whoever will listen. Its really not like anything else on TV right now, and it deserves to stick around. 

I was just getting my long distance bill sorted and found myself telling the clerk she should watch it.

But then, short lived shows? I'm a Browncoat (Firefly) masochism is our middle name.

• Love 5

I also thought Greg's story resolved too quickly. There was no investment in his bad relationship with his mother, because we never heard about it until now (I had thought his father was a widower who raised his son alone). While I enjoyed the presence of the neighbor here, she is definitely a character to be used sparingly. 

Actually Greg's mom was mentioned before a few times. He did say in the pilot that his parents were divorced and he had to quit business school to take care of his dad, who he considers to be the only person to be there for him; his father also said: "run while you still can, like your mother did." So for me, the set-up worked well. As I said earlier, it could have used more time to flesh out the story, but the idea was solid and it honestly explains so much about Greg's issues.

Edited by blueteainfusion
  • Love 4

Actually Greg's mom was mentioned before a few times. He did say in the pilot that his parents were divorced and he had to quit business school to take care of his dad, who he considers to be the only person to be there for him; his father also said: "run while you still can, like your mother did." So for me, the set-up worked well. As I said earlier, it could have used more time to flesh out the story, but the idea was solid and it honestly explains so much about Greg's issues.

Ah, OK. Obviously, I wasn't paying attention. Sometimes, I'm doing other things and not focused on the show.

I liked that he was willing to help the kids (I believe the lead dancer used to be on Disney's "Shake It Up")

OMG thank you for this. As I was watching those scenes I kept thinking I knew that guy from somewhere... And while I've never seen "Shake It Up" my good friend's nanny actually dates (or dated) that guy and so his picture would occasionally pop up on my FB feed. That's why he looked familiar.

In ratings news, this show finally ticked up to a 0.4 from it's usual 0.3, even broke a million viewers too. Good thing it's going off the air for 2 months with this momentum. I think if this show could regularly get a 0.5 it'd be safe for another season. 

I know I'm venturing into UO territory here, but I don't like Paula and each episode increases that dislike -- maybe because she'll do everything she can to sabotage Rebecca and Greg or that she takes no responsibility for the death of her own marriage and her rotten kids. Plus, she comes across as a bully, especially when dealing with her coworkers.

I don't like her either.

Tovah Feldsuh's face looks like she's wearing a bad  mask.

I also liked the return of the running joke that Calvin is urbane and cultured to rubes.  "I have attorneys in major cities all over this world. Cincinnati, Shreveport, Tallahassee!"

• Love 3

This show is just such a delight. This episode felt sort of messy and haphazard, but it still made me so happy (in a candy with a soul crushing center kinda way).

Rebecca's relationship with her mom was probably the highlight. The bathroom song was a fabulous entrance, and might be one of the most impressive musical numbers from a writing perspective. Though not as rewatchable, perhaps, as the songs that aren't trying to give the viewers anxiety attacks.

Greg's storyline felt kind of like a first draft to me. The insertion of Heather was charming but too sitcomy, and the resolution came too easily. You don't stay that bitter for that long only to have your worldview rocked because a 15 year old tells you you're acting like a douche. They were trying to accomplish too much too quickly, and it didn't quite hit its marks. It did give us a fair amount of insight into Greg, however, who is so much better realized than Josh that it's almost unfair.

The episode never directly paralleled Becca and Greg's parental woes, but I think there are some comparisons that can be drawn. Greg actually has the family life that Becca so desperately craves, but is too invested in his own bitterness to realize it. Becca has an abusive mom, and she deals with it by retreating into childlike fantasies and making life-altering, nostalgia fueled decisions. Greg has to shed some of his bitterness and Becca has to get over her fantasies before either of them can be viable romantic partners for anyone.

I thought Greg and Heather were surprisingly fun, though I'm not sure I can see them as a long term thing. Her detached deadpan does puncture his ~I'm the smartest loser in the room, ask me about labor reform in the 19th century~ vibe, and they're cute. So maybe that's enough for now. I don't get too much enjoyment out of Josh and Becca, unfortunately, because he just feels too much like an affable cipher to me. I know that's the point, but I don't find it to be a super fun viewing experience. But Pleasant Bro is a trope I've seen done well on other shows, and I think there's potential there. If they could get him 70% of the way to Andy Dwyer territory I'd be satisfied, personally.

I also really enjoyed British Paula. The actress is always great, but sometimes Paula terrifies me in a way I'm not sure is narratively sustainable. I get that she is the dark deconstruction of the romcom bff; she doles out terrible advice and uses Becca as a conduit for her own dashed dreams. But like, sometimes she is terrifying to me. Am I supposed to root for the continued existence of their friendship? Because sometimes I do not.

• Love 7

Can Josh dance and tumble every week? I knew he was a good dancer from the Four Joshes, but axels and standing back tucks? it is a waste not to let him show off his skills more often! I was also really impressed at how even Heather and Paula pulled off some more technical dance moves during the big finale. Surprisingly, Greg was the one with the weakest dance skills. The big Christmas finale number was a nice bookend to the West Covina number in the pilot (which also took place at a mall!).

I think that the two main storylines (Rebecca's mom and Greg's resentment of his mom) were resolved way too quickly and easily, but I'm more apt to believe Greg's turnaround for several reasons. First, he was a kid when his parents divorced. That's painful for a lot of kids and their emotions sometimes overtake their logic. He felt hurt and abandoned and put all the blame on his mother. He's been reverting to that pouty angry kid every time he's arond his mom and her new family, seeing himself as the victim. He was pretty excited that Heather would be a witness to all the insults but instead, she told him that he was acting like a baby while his family was funny and nice and charming. And his pubescent half brother told him that he was being a dick. I'm willing to believe that all of those things put together gave him a moment of clarity and he realized that he's been taking out his childhood anger on all of these people. I'm sure it was much easier for him to believe that he was being picked on when he was just sitting in the corner by himself sulking at previous holiday/family gatherings but to have someone who is almost a stranger point out that he was the one being a jerk helped with his epiphany. Yes, he still has a lot more to work through, but he has taken the first step. He finally sees that his mom hasn't been a heinous bitch this whole time.

In contrast, Rebecca's mom can say whatever she wants about trying to make Rebecca strong but she has been a straight up bitch to her daughter. She is demanding, insulting, condescending, judgmental, and manipulative. Telling your child that she and all of her friends are losers is not going to make her stand up to the Cossacks.

I am neutral on Heather and Greg hooking up. I could go either way. I do get the feeling that Rebecca and Greg are the endgame, but I am fine with them not jumping into that right away. I just hope they don't use it as a catalyst for Rebecca to realize that she has feelings for Greg, at least not right now. First she needs to get over her Josh fantasy.

I'm okay with Josh taking some baby steps toward becoming an adult. He can still be a happy adorable enthusiastic puppy dog without having his mom call in sick for him.

• Love 3

Greg's storyline felt kind of like a first draft to me. The insertion of Heather was charming but too sitcomy, and the resolution came too easily. You don't stay that bitter for that long only to have your worldview rocked because a 15 year old tells you you're acting like a douche. They were trying to accomplish too much too quickly, and it didn't quite hit its marks. It did give us a fair amount of insight into Greg, however, who is so much better realized than Josh that it's almost unfair.

I can agree with a lot of that. It did feel like a lot was crammed into too short a time and resolved in too facile a way. But it almost worked for me. Greg's realization wasn't because of his brother -- it came one sentence earlier, from understanding how everything looked to the impartial observer, Heather. And it was only a slight exaggeration of something I've experienced myself (albeit about smaller issues): that after comfortably feeling that I was right in a situation and others were being unreasonable, a remark from someone I trusted forced me to shift my viewpoint just a millimeter, enough to see that it was the other way around and I was the one being a jerk.

One of the elements of Greg seeming better realized is that Santino Fontana is probably a contender for #1 theater actor in the US in his age range -- he's been chosen to play Wilde, Miller, Simon, Shakespeare (Hamlet at 24!), Coward, Guare, Karam, Lapine, plus musicals, all in major venues, and he's only 33. It was quite a coup for this series to get him.

• Love 1

My big moment was Greg's mom was played by Hope from Thirtysomething. Love random 80s actors popping up on shows. And she was good. I hope we see her again. I wished they had gotten Ken Olin to play the stepdad.

The Christmas song was silly and fluff but a good way to end the first batch of episodes. I loved that we got the cast together for a song. I would've liked to see the little boy from the bar there too but overall I enjoyed it.

• Love 1

Rebecca's mother is a self-centered monster. I don't think there was any breakthrough at the end. Of course she loves her daughter—what abusive thinks she's abusive? The whole bullying about going home for Passover put things back at square one, AFAIC. Maybe Rebecca can let go a bit more, but she's never going to not be a level 5 mom pleaser. 

Tovah Feldshuh is terrifyingly good in the role, and it's probably catnip for her at this point in her career. 

I like Paula a lot. I don't like her continued sabotaging of Rebecca and Greg, but Rebecca doesn't seem to mind (yet), so I'm willing to give her a pass on it. Paula is living vicariously through Rebecca at the moment, but Paula does give Rebecca reality checks every now and then.

• Love 1

One of the things I love about Paula (among many) is that when Rebecca once again says that she didn't move here for Josh, it's just a coincidence, Paula goes wide-eyed and says, "Oh, are we still saying that? OK."

• Love 2

Maybe I read too many Tom and Lorenzo Mad Men recaps/analyses, but did anyone else notice that Rebecca and Greg were the only ones wearing blue in the California Christmastime number?

Yes! Also definitely significant: Josh and Greg and basically wearing red and blue versions of the same exact checkered shirt in that dance number. 

You know, I've been thinking more about the love polygon going on here and while I am totally digging it, I'm also a little bit worried about getting it all resolved in time. In an ideal world, before Rebecca enters any sort of long-term, serious relationship, she would spend some time working on herself and figuring out what she wants. Meanwhile, Josh needs to figure out that he's not with the right person and this Greg and Heather needs to play out however it does. But realistically, we only have 10 episodes left. Is that long enough to get us to a place where there can be some sort of realistic and satisfying romantic conclusion? I'm not saying that it needs to end in a happily-ever-after romantic way.. but I would love for it to end with a sense that we're headed in the right direction. 

Of course, maybe my dreams will come true and this show will get six seasons and a movie and we'll have more than enough time to really see all of this play out...

• Love 3

I was also really impressed at how even Heather and Paula pulled off some more technical dance moves during the big finale.

According to Vella Lovell's Julliard resume, she has "18 years classical piano, music direction and composition, 15 years Modern/Jazz/Ballet"!

Nope, she wasn't in the episode at all, as far as I know.

I didn't see her either, although my full attention wasn't on the show last night.  Too bad she wasn't in the musical scene because she's part of the cast, too.

On the other hand, there are a ton of more-than-adequate actors in the LA area, so they'd have little reason to fly in a Brit to pretend to be American. I'd expect them more to go for one of the many good Broadway musical theater guys who are now aging out of romantic leading roles, and perhaps looking for character work on TV.

• Love 1