Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: AKA Top Shelf Perverts

This is one of those times where even in two brief scenes, the all-too-human villain of Trish's mother is almost as bad as Kilgrave.  Imagine an even worse version of Kris Jenner.

I was thinking that by showing so much of that scene in the police station in the trailers might have defused the tension, but seeing that it looked for all the world like the only people Kilgrave was controlling were the people with the guns, and the people one the business ends of them were aware of what was happening and terrified, it sold it for me.  And we got Stan Lee's cameo in the background again.

Did we see the bullpen on Daredevil?  The set looks different, and given how Marvel tries to keep its shared universe consistent, it surprised me that they'd use a different set.

• Love 1

I'm absolutely grateful that they chose not to depict the rape onscreen. It reminds me of similar choices made in Mad Max: Fury Road, a film not otherwise characterized by restraint. It's almost like Hollywood is growing up.

In the early going here they've trusted the actors to convey what's going on, and trusted the audience to be able to figure it out. This is probably easier to do with the streaming format. I think I would have enjoyed this show even more if it had been aired weekly and I could have discussed it and speculated episode by episode - but the episodes would have been weaker, with too much recapping and less trust in the audience.

Enjoyed the write up, but isn't that the Manhattan Bridge?

• Love 1

Jessica walking into that house.....oh my. I guess this is her giving up? I completely understand. She thought for a while she got away despite the trauma and the guilt bout Reva and over the course of this show, Kilgrave has slowly been creeping back into her life until Ruben and finally, her diary.

I think the plan was the best you can do when you are faced with someone who you have no defenses against and you can only hope that enough walls and people between you and him might do it. It was stupid but she was completely desperate. From the pictures and Malcolm to Ruben and the diary...yeah, I get she feels she is out of options.

I feel bad for thinking Ruben and his sister had been kilgraved all this time. She was a terrible person but she doesn't deserve a dead brother she clearly is very attached to. Even creepily so.

I was quite worried that Kilgrave had gotten to Simpson again when he neglected to tell Trish that he had found him. I guess he was just stupidly trying to protect her.

I've always been a fan of David Tennant and he plays this so well. The slightest hint of vulnerability, the changes in temper. And he's funny. Terrifyingly so.

Someone upthread wrote that he can't control Jessica since he said everyone will think this was a hilarious joke and Jessica clearly didn't. I'm wondering if he knows or just worries and that's part of why he claims to want her to choose him. Apart from the thrill, he might not be entirely sure that he can and just plays on her fears that he still can.

I checked and he says: in 30 seconds you'll all realize that this is a hilarious joke and you will let Jessica leave. So, unless he can aim his power and exclude his power for some people, he really can't control her any more. Now all it takes is for her to realize that.

I really like Wendy. After that, I would have signed. But then, she knows who she married in the first place.

• Love 2

My favorite thing about this episode was how fiercely determined Malcolm was to keep Jessica from going to prison for Ruben's murder. I expect that kind of loyalty from Trish since they've been friends for so long, but to get that from Malcolm was really sweet.

At the opening scene of this episode, my brain said, "Who's that in Jessica's apartment? OMIGAWD, KILGRAVE IS IN JESSICA'S APARTMENT!!!" I knew no good would come of his presence at her place, but poor Ruben. He just wanted to bring Jessica more banana bread and he got murdered for his trouble.

Kilgrave's scene at the police station showed just how crazy, delusional, and dangerous he is but it also shows how emotionally stunted he is. This "yearning" he feels is just what 13 year old boys feel when the girl they like rejects them. He wants what he can't have and he thinks that's love. The only good thing is that he has decided not to compel her because he wants it to be real (heh, TM The Vampire Diaries!). We'll see how long that lasts.

And yay for the return of Lester from The Wire!

• Love 2
On 11/28/2015 at 10:00 PM, jeansheridan said:

And I will admit I loved seeing him walk out of the house in those jeans and sweater ...yum!

I totally agree. I have a girl-crush on Tennant since the Doctor, and in this scene he was really...yummy

The only plot I'm not interested in is the lawyer's divorce and her new love interest. But since they spend so much time on that, I assume it will be important later.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

I totally agree. I have a girl-crush on Tennant since the Doctor, and in this scene he was really...yummy

The only plot I'm not interested in is the lawyer's divorce and her new love interest. But since they spend so much time on that, I assume it will be important later.

Are you finally catching up on Jessica Jones?  I thought the pacing was off, but overall enjoyed the storyline.  The Luke Cage show not so much.

Enjoy the rest of the series!  

My husband tried to convince me to watch Jessica for a long time. We watched Daredevil and I didn't like season 2, so I thought Jessica is similar.

But now I'm hooked 

Edited by Snow Fairy
On 11/21/2015 at 11:22 PM, Chaos Theory said:

Plus Kilgrave has to come off as charming

Just discovered this show and my husband and I are binge-watching Season 1 now so we can catch up and start watching Season 2.  We both think the show is very well done, but I have to disagree with what seems like the majority opinion here that Kilgrave, as portrayed by Tennant, has layers and can be charming or even delightful. I've only seen DT in Broadchurch (never saw Dr. Who), and don't read comics so don't know the character from there. But to me Kilgrave is pure evil, and when he is in a scene where his dialogue is perhaps meant to be entertaining, he just comes across to me as slimy. It's just not possible for me to find anything charming or entertaining about this dangerous monster who takes such pleasure in ruining people's lives.