Type keyword(s) to search

Wish Upon a Star: Who Would You Like To See On DWTS?

• Start Topic

Definitely, but maybe David Schwimmer would be good here. He keeps a pretty low profile, so I doubt it. But he isn't "too famous" like the rest of the Friends. I see them getting more of a Gunther on this show. 

I have never liked David.  He was my least favorite on Friends.  More than that.  The show would have been better with someone more appealing in his place.  I had a hard time getting into the Ross/Rachael romance.  Luckily Survivor entered the scene in competition before DVRs so I had to choose.  Survivor won because of David.  

His simpering personality was a turn off to me and oddly his hair.  Did not like it. 

• Love 1

To tell you the truth, I agree with you.  I have no problem with Christians who actually do walk the walk as opposed to merely talking the talk.  It's just that I think we can both agree that so-called "Christians" who feel that they have to remind us of their beliefs and standards every five minutes are a pain in the neck.  

I agree.  It is so tiring to hear Christians spout endlessly.  Religion is a personal guidance system, not the ultimate truth.  Keep it to yourself.  

• Love 3

What about Alfonso Ribeiro, AKA Carlton Banks from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air?  <Singing in a sleezy Tom Jones wannabe manner> "It's not unusual to be loved by anyone..." </Singing>

Wow! Nailed it on both points. : )

On the Silver Spoons theme, I'd love to see Ricky Schroder on the show. He definitely had some moves back in the day. See this video of Ricky and Alfonso breakdancing: 

I'll also add a vote for Tim Gunn. 

As for reality stars, I'd love to see someone from one of the earlier seasons of The Real World. Julie from NY would be a dream, though she would be one of the ringiest ringers who ever rang and I doubt she'd do it. I'd guess the people most likely to want to do it from the first few seasons would be Beth S. from LA, Rachel from San Francisco, or maybe Syrus from Boston. 

I think Cher would be great - although she's much too big of a celebrity and probably would never do the show. (Although she was in the audience frequently when Chaz was on the show and she did guest judge last year)

Edited by Sister Havana

It would be great to have a season with figure skaters for the cast - we would get some awesome dancing.  I'd love to see some more ice dancers like Belbin and Agosto, Punsalan and Swallow, Lang and Tchernyshev, etc.  For singles skater guys it would be fun to have Todd Eldredge, Michael Weiss, and Rudy Galindo.  For women, I'd love to see Michelle Kwan, Nicole Bobeck, and Jennifer Kirk.  There are so many great figure skaters to choose from.

Johnny Weir!  I would so watch him!

When he retires, baseball player Torii Hunter. Cute, funny, great attitude and never been a Yankee or Red Sox.

Hey!  Nothing wrong with the Sox!  Speaking of, Jacoby Ellsbury would bring the pretty, even though he went to the dark side.

Christopher Walken would be so amazing, even though he's totally a ringer.

Johnny Weir underimpressed me when he was one of the judges on Skating With the Stars. He had several hissy fits at the contestants that showed he didn't have a clue about this stuff. Bethenny mouthed off about how she wasn't going to listen to the judges, so he announced he wasn't going to waste his time giving her feedback - which yeah, it's tempting, but really? He didn't do it in a charming way, either. Then the Disney guy was throwing up and left the competition and Johnny gave him hell for not dancing despite being barely able to stand. Excuse me, but the male contestants were being expected to lift their partners while on skates. The skier had already skated over his partner's hand and she was clearly in fear for her life; the Disney guy had expressed terror of hurting his partner or worse even before he got sick. And he's supposed to SKATE? 

I will say, though, Johnny probably got unnerved by Dick Button being unable to keep his hands off him. 

(What was ABC *thinking*?)

• Love 1

I really liked Julie and she apparently teaches dance and business now but she is REALLY removed from anything resembling the showbiz scene.  Even when you see the countless "where are they now" articles about Real World people over the years she never even lets a current picture be shown.  There was one article a couple of years ago where she gave a rare, brief interview and when asked if shes shown her kids old Real World episodes she said she doesnt own a TV.

I'd like to see a baseball player on the show too. I could get behind Nomar Garciaparra, but my pick would be Kerry Wood. 

I hope Sean Avery didn't turn the show off from getting another hockey player. Jeremy Roenick would be good. Or what about Wayne Gretzky? They could cast him and his wife Janet Jones, though she'd be a ringer.

A rising media star and current WNBA baller:   Skylar Diggins.

She's a beautiful ebony young lady who is a great example to the youth about fitness.  She would appeal to the guys on two levels:  1)  She's hawt.  2)  She's a darn good basketball player.

She keeps insisting she is all about "going for it" (She's on the Nike endorsement list) and would be a great example of an athlete with zero dance training being a fish out of water.  She's the perfect blend of athleticism, femininity, and minor celebrity status. 

• Love 1

Count me in as somebody who would love to see an All Star Season. To anyone who watches the Challenge on MTV, they essentially work with the same 30 or so people for the past 4 years or so and I think the reason why it's even still on the air is that people know the personalties and the themes that they have on the show bring up new drama. 

So for example if they brought back people like Corbin, Zendaya, Mya (i feel like she never gets credit for being one of the better female contestants on the show bc she came off unlikable), Amy Purdy, Mario Lopez people who were runner ups but then pair them up with different pro's. How would they fair? How would they work with a different partner chemistry? It could sort of be a redemption theme. 

Or you want the redemption angle with the excitement of new blood and you can bring in people that fans have been asking for then do a Vets vs. New Blood theme. Who will win? I'd personally love to see Tatiana Ali like PBgamer89 stated, Russell Wilson (Seattle Seahawks QB), The first mom from Fresh Prince of Bel Air would be a good older contestant since she is a former dancer. A lovable train wreck could be Corey Feldman.

Some people I'd like to see on DWTS:

Baseball - Bernie Williams, Andy Pettitte, Jorge Posada, Derek Jeter

Reality - Vicki Gunvalson (RHOC), Chris Tamburello, Cara Maria Sorbello, Wes Bergmann, Camila Nakagawa (MTV Challenges)

Figure Skating - Nicole Bobek, Oksana Baiul, Katarina Witt, Scott Davis, Brian Boitano, Surya Bonaly

Music - Shaggy, any member of Def Leppard

Acting - David Naughton, Rex Smith, Elizabeth Moss, Parker Stevenson, Jeremy Davidson, Brian Wimmer, Bill Pullman,

Bridget Fonda, Daniel Lissing, John James, Rick Hearst, Patrick Warburton, Vincent Irizarry, Ted King, Denis Leary,

Lisa Peluso, Nicollette Sheridan, Sean Astin, Andrew McCarthy, Donna Mills, Corbin Bernsen, Kerri Green

Edited by dangwoodchucks

I think Cher would be great - although she's much too big of a celebrity and probably would never do the show. (Although she was in the audience frequently when Chaz was on the show and she did guest judge last year)

Actually, she did say, when originally asked about doing the show, precisely that -- that she was too big a star to need the show (she IS an Oscar winner, after all!). In fact, she seemed almost insulted by the question.  But that was long before Chaz did the show, so perhaps she's softened her stance since she was so supportive of his doing it.

If they ever did a themed season I would love for them to do a season full of married couples. We never got to see the Ty Murray and Jewel season play out because of her injury. This would also help stop any showmances! Some couples that I would like to see or that I could see doing it would:

Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prince Jr.- 90's and early 00's nostalgia at its finest. They both seem like great people and have lived outside of the press. Plus Buffy fans.

Leann Rimes and Eddie Cibrian- They would probably jump at the chance to be on the show and it will probably be a trainwreck...so viewers would watch. But on the off chance that they got it together I would be nice to see her regain some favor from the public.

Naya Rivera and Ryan Dorsey- Ok he is stretching the term "star" but that's not new. She will be coming off the final season of Glee and has done a few guest spots on The View so she has some ABC connections.  I feel like she also needs some help with the public after the Big Sean mess so this could be good for her.

Alexa Vega Pena and Carlos Pena- They would with the younger demographic that TPTB are going for but since they are both in their mid 20's no age appriate drame come with it. She has her Spy Kids films to draw on plus a recent stint on Nashville for some cross promo. He was in Big Time Rush (with James Maslow) and their Nickelodeon show was a success too.

Nick and Vaness Lachey- Another early 00's throw back couple with 98 degrees and TRL. They've always seemed like a normal couple low key couple so thats always nice. He already has the Dwts connection with Drew winning season 2 and being an allstar. She was a TV host so she should be able to handle the live aspect better than some of the other models/beauty queens. 

Joanna Garcia Swisher and Nick Swisher- She has the Reba show connection which will be a big help to her plus she is Ariel on Once Upon a Time so she has the ABC cross promo covered too. He is a current baseball player for the Cleveland Indians so he takes the athlete spot of the season. Plus they also seem like a nice normal couple.

I'm sure there are a lot of other couples that would be fun for a season like this but these are just the few that came to mind while I was writing this. They could easly grab a former Bachelor couple for some more cross promo and to fill the reality TV spot or something like that too.

• Love 2

So for example if they brought back people like Corbin, Zendaya, Mya (i feel like she never gets credit for being one of the better female contestants on the show bc she came off unlikable),

I love Mya and was so upset that she lost to Donny Osmond.  See, I didn't feel that she came off as unlikeable.  She was just more shy and reserved compared to the other contestants that season.

My dream casting:

Derek Jeter - never gonna happen, but a girl can dream.

Vanessa Marcil

Kristin Chenoweth

JC Chasez - he and Justin were the best dancers in Nsync.

Lee Pace

Rachel Bilson - she just had a baby, this could help her lose the weight.  Although I get the feeling she's one of those girls who went back to their normal size right after giving birth.

Mark Paul Gosselar

Katie Holmes

• Love 2

JC Chasez - he and Justin were the best dancers in Nsync.

Count me in as someone who'd love to see JC. I think he had as much potential to be just as successful as Justin, for whatever reason his first album just didn't stick. You can tell he was LIVING during the NYSYNC reunion at the VMA's. I think it's time for him to put himself back in the spotlight. Plus he was on America's Best Dance Crew. Even though he was a judge I'm sure he's familiar with a dance show format and how to sell himself to an audience. 

For pro's for JC, my first instinct is Cheryl... but she's gone lol. So then I'd say Either Karina or one of the newer girls who hasn't gotten a great partner in the past like Emma. 

• Love 1

This is probably going to sound crazy to a lot of folks, but I'd like to see a season of REAL dancers compete in a ballroom setting. For instance, Marilou Henner has expressed several times that she'd love to learn ballroom on the show, but producers tell her that she has way too much dancing experience to compete.

And yes, I know/realize this show is all about popularity with dancing being secondary, but for me, I watch the show primarily for the dancing...good, bad or indifferent. So, a show with actual dancers who WANT to be there (and not disasters like Master P) would be the epitome of all DWTS "contestants".

• Love 1

Given how many ringers have been routinely cast during the past few years, I'd say your wish is almost redundant at this point.  Besides, professional-level perfection tends to be boring after a while; there's a reason that PBS no longer airs the Ohio Star Ball pro competition.

Edited by legaleagle53

True, but having one or two "ringers" per season is not the same as having an entire season of actual "stars" who WANT to be there to learn & perform ballroom dances such as paso doble, Argentine tango, etc. IOW, just because Marilou (for example) dances on Broadway and can perform ballet, doesn't necessarily mean that she can master a mean paso. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Count me in as somebody who would love to see an All Star Season. To anyone who watches the Challenge on MTV, they essentially work with the same 30 or so people for the past 4 years or so and I think the reason why it's even still on the air is that people know the personalties and the themes that they have on the show bring up new drama. 

So for example if they brought back people like Corbin, Zendaya, Mya (i feel like she never gets credit for being one of the better female contestants on the show bc she came off unlikable), Amy Purdy, Mario Lopez people who were runner ups but then pair them up with different pro's. How would they fair? How would they work with a different partner chemistry? It could sort of be a redemption theme. 

Or you want the redemption angle with the excitement of new blood and you can bring in people that fans have been asking for then do a Vets vs. New Blood theme. Who will win? I'd personally love to see Tatiana Ali like PBgamer89 stated, Russell Wilson (Seattle Seahawks QB), The first mom from Fresh Prince of Bel Air would be a good older contestant since she is a former dancer. A lovable train wreck could be Corey Feldman.

The problem with this is I think many of our more popular contestants wouldn't do the show again unless promised the same partner.  So depending on how badly the show wants someone, you wind up with this weird mishmash where some people have their original partners and some don't.  For instance, while I don't think Zendaya would ever do it anyway as her fame level is on the rise and has started to eclipse the show, I guarantee she would never do it without Val.  The only reason I could ever see her saying yes is as a means to help him finally get his mirrorball.

• Love 1

I think if they attempt an all star season again, it should be with the same partnerships as before. It might make it harder to cast, but it'd be far more interesting (for me) than bringing back people and having them have a different pro. If they switch partnerships it's like watching a whole new season, because the partnerships are what make the show, not the people they cast. And I think their last attempt with a mash of some of the same partnerships and some different partnerships was a pretty big failure.

To be fair, some of the new partnerships from the last all star go-around were great. If Drew couldn't have Cheryl, I'm glad he got Anna. But we also saw how someone like Gilles, who was great with Cheryl, fail a bit with Peta. And all of that seems unfair when someone like Melissa can keep Tony, or Emmett gets Cheryl.

For instance, while I don't think Zendaya would ever do it anyway as her fame level is on the rise and has started to eclipse the show, I guarantee she would never do it without Val.

Zendaya I definitely don't think would do the show if she wasn't paired with Val. They're clearly very loyal to each other, as evident through social media. Even though it would be interesting to watch their dynamic now since the whole being under 18 is no longer an issue. By no means do I think all of the sudden they'll be showmancing, i think their friendship is beyond that. However, I'd be curious to see how Val's choreo would be for a grown Zendaya rather than a child Zendaya. Guess I'll just have to buy my tickets to the next Sway show lol.

However I still stick to my Tatyana Ali, Corey Feldman, Russel Wilson non All Star picks haha. 

With the rumors of some of the older pros coming back, is it possible they might do a whole season where the celebrity changes pros every week?

That way the voting would be solely about the celebrity, and not battle of the pro fan bases or lifetime achievement/which pro hasn't won yet crap.

That would be interesting.

As for a celeb I want to see, how about dipping into the Saved by the Bell/90210 well again and getting Tiffani Thiessen? I've read they've been trying to get her for years.

• Love 1

As for a celeb I want to see, how about dipping into the Saved by the Bell/90210 well again and getting Tiffani Thiessen? I've read they've been trying to get her for years.

With White Collar ending they might be able to! She looks like she'd be a lot of fun.

• Love 1

The problem with this is I think many of our more popular contestants wouldn't do the show again unless promised the same partner.  So depending on how badly the show wants someone, you wind up with this weird mishmash where some people have their original partners and some don't.  For instance, while I don't think Zendaya would ever do it anyway as her fame level is on the rise and has started to eclipse the show, I guarantee she would never do it without Val.  The only reason I could ever see her saying yes is as a means to help him finally get his mirrorball.

I think Zendaya wouldn't do it again not because her fame level is too great, but because it's almost the same as it was before, and that's embarrassing. She was lauded as the next big thing on the show but post-show all she's done is release music no one wants and get cast in a movie no one wanted her in. 

Edited by anonymiss

I think Zendaya wouldn't do it again not because her fame level is too great, but because it's almost the same as it was before, and that's embarrassing. She was lauded as the next big thing on the show but post-show all she's done is release music no one wants and get cast in a movie no one wanted her in. 

Hmmmmm, I may have to defend Zendaya. Is she a mega A-List star? No, but in terms of her key demo, which is Disney's demo, she's one of the biggest stars they have. Her Disney Channel movie was very successful and I believe she is the producer of her upcoming Disney original series. It takes time to cross over, as it took years for former Disney stars to do so: Justin, Britney, Christina, Lindsay, Ryan Gosling, Miley. She's only 18, and seems to have a solid team around her that won't lead her down the path of other's post Disney mental breakdown.  

As fas as that Aaliyah movie is concerned, that was a Lifetime publicity stunt that Zendaya was smart enough to get herself out of. The family didn't want the movie to made whether Zendaya was in it or not, they think Aaliyah deserves a feature film. Once the producers (Wendy Williams) couldn't get the rights to Aaliyah's music, Zendaya was smart enough to drop out. Look at who they cast for Missy Elliot and Timbaland, that movie would have done Zendaya more harm than good. Look at it this way, more people know Zendaya's name than the girl who actually ended up starring in that movie. 

• Love 2

Thought I wouldn't be able to think of anybody but now I can't shut my brain off, though some of these are probably wildly unlikely:

Dr Oz, Dr Drew, Dr Phil (or his wife), Shepard Smith, Maurice Benard, Nancy Lee Grahn, Ronan Farrow, Ron Reagan! (former ballet dancer but wth, so was Jane Seymour), Craig Ferguson. Sarah Silverman, Wanda Sykes, Ellen Degeneres, Faith Hill &/or Tim McGraw, Steve Burton, Rebecca Herbst, Lucy Liu, Isla Fisher, Kylie Minogue, Naomi Campbell, Larry David

• Love 1

Probably not the place for a Z defense, but oh well.  She isn't an A-list star by a longshot, but her fame level I'd argue is at least a few notches higher than she was when she was on the show and she's still working her way up.  Her first single went platinum and the video to date has over 80 million views on youtube and she just switched record labels.  Now she's being repped by Republic Records (Drake, Ariana Grande), which is a much bigger deal than dinky Hollywood Records.  She landed the February cover of Teen Vogue and she's also the face of Madonna (and her daughter's) Material Girl clothing line.  A new campaign was just released yesterday and her Teen Vogue cover a few days before that.  On top of that she is starring in and co-producing her own television show, which premieres this month, even if she's sticking with Disney a bit longer.  I won't even touch the Aaliyah movie mess since I think that was handled pretty well above.  Z may never be an A-list star.  I have no idea.  But all this to say that in terms of fame level, IMO she is above DWTS at this point.  Also FWIW, it takes time to build careers.  It's much healthier for young stars to have a slower, steadier climb with solid teams around them than to leap into the limelight ill equipped and unprepared.

Besides the fact that most of the stars that wind up coming back for all-stars seasons are no better off than they were the first time they did the show.  Or they wouldn't have the time or the inclination to come back and do it all again.  So it wouldn't be an embarrassment since all the celebs would be in the same boat.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 4

But all this to say that in terms of fame level, IMO she is above DWTS at this point.  Also FWIW, it takes time to build careers.  It's much healthier for young stars to have a slower, steadier climb with solid teams around them than to leap into the limelight ill equipped and unprepared.

Said something very similar a few post up and I couldn't agree more. Even though the All - Star season didn't do as well ratings wise I think as ABC would have liked however I think it all depends on who they get to come back. I personally think if they get stars like Zendaya, the ratings will be more successful than the prior All-Stars season.... IMHO. 

Btw - on Val's instagram there seemed to be a battle between Zendaya and Janel fans about who would be better for an All Stars season with him so maybe that's where this could all be headed. 

Considering Janel and Val have been having passive aggressive indirect tweeting wars on social media and have unfollowed each other altogether on all mediums, I don't think anybody needs to worry about Janel doing an all star season with Val.  They have been playing out their personal drama with each other on social media pretty much since Thanksgiving.

• Love 1

Considering Janel and Val have been having passive aggressive indirect tweeting wars on social media and have unfollowed each other altogether on all mediums, I don't think anybody needs to worry about Janel doing an all star season with Val.  They have been playing out their personal drama with each other on social media pretty much since Thanksgiving.

Well I heard she will be performing with Val for the last 2 shows of the tour so... shrugs lol

I don't want to see anymore RH franchise characters, and the Disney kids theme has been pretty much beat into the ground.   I wouldn't mind seeing the show go to the American Idol well again.  Has there been anybody besides Kellie Pickler?   A couple of them off the top of my head that I think would bring me lots of snarky amusement: 

Sanjaya!  It would be a funny backstory, especially if the same thing happened with him as did on American Idol.  Plus he's fairly young, in decent enough shape, and might even be able to learn to dance. 

Gokey!  The guy is such a d-nozzle, but I think he'd do anything to be on TV.  He'd probably even try really hard to learn to dance because he'd believe he should win this show, by virtue of his awesomeness and holiness. 

There are more who, while they wouldn't have the high snark factor, might not mind trying to kickstart their careers by appearing on another reality show - Kris Allen?  Bo Bice?  David Cook? 

I wouldn't mind seeing the show go to the American Idol well again.  Has there been anybody besides Kellie Pickler? 

Now that you mention it, I think someone who may be good for the show is Jordan Sparks. She was in the audience often when she was engaged to Jason Derulo. Even though she's never been a musical act that incorporates dancing, I don't see her being devoid of rhythm. I haven't watched Idol since Simon Cowell so... Jordan Sparks would be my pick. 

I liked Kellie Pickler much more on DWTS than I did when she was on AI, so I'm game for getting another AI alum on the show. Taylor Hicks got the "drunk uncle dancing at a wedding" critique, so I think he'd be a fun contestant. Sanjaya was also on a season of "Help, I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here," or whatever the name of the show was. He was upbeat, outgoing, didn't take himself too seriously. I think he'd be great for DWTS. And just to throw out a random one, maybe Jessica Sierra? She had a rough go at it post-AI; it would make for an interesting back story, at least.

Given how great some of the comedians have been, I'd like to see Dave Foley or Scott Thompson from Kids in the Hall.  They wouldn't have that many American fans to begin with, but I'm pretty sure both of them have enough exposure (Dave on Newsradio and tons of continuing story lines in American sitcoms (Scrubs, Hot in Cleveland));, (I think Scott's biggest American run was in the Larry Sanders Show, but his imdb has lots of other continuing roles in sitcoms).

• Love 2

Alice Wetterlund, a comic from MTV's Girlcode, who also has been in some really funny commercials including one for Southwest as a bridesmaid crazy dancing at a bunch of weddings would be all kinds of awesome. David Feherty from the Golf channel, ABC should throw Malin Ackermann a bone after axing Trophy Wife, and I've always thought Rachael Ray would be kind of perfect for DWTS. Another ridiculous ringer (even beyond Zendaya or Sabrina Bryant) would be the hip hop dancer Chachi Gonzales. She'd also fit the bill if they wanted to try and engage with the youtube generation again.

• Love 1