Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
kjh

General Gabbery: DWTS

Recommended Posts

On 10/28/2019 at 1:52 PM, Josh371982 said:

Wicked Game is a sexy song not a Hallowen classic WTF?😂😂

Much like Bad Girls!  Another non-Halloween "classic". 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

The next episode is a Dance-Off one.

After a first round dance to a style they have not yet performed, seven couples compete, with two couples dancing at the same in the same style in a Dance-Off challenge.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Maybe the dance off will be an opportunity for the judges to get rid of Spicer?

Doesn't the audience also do some kind of voting during dance offs?  It would be terrible if Spicer was dancing against any of them and he wins that round.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

They made a post yesterday that James and Emma are exempt from the dance-off but not from elimination. I thought that was part of the point of the dance-off -- to keep someone who had earned it safe?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I think James and Emma are running away with it and they are going to win. Unfortunately, I do think Spicer will be in the finals. He is going to ruin them like he did the rest of the season.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

They made a post yesterday that James and Emma are exempt from the dance-off but not from elimination. I thought that was part of the point of the dance-off -- to keep someone who had earned it safe?

That is how they did it in the past, but in this case I don't think it matters much since James is IMO at no risk of going home.  If it were someone like Ally, the immunity might be necessary since I think she is more vulnerable to winding up in the B2.  I do think the show needs to be careful though and make it clear at the beginning that James doesn't have immunity though because the last thing they need is people getting confused and him winding up in the B2, though even if he did I expect he would be saved over anyone else.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

They made a post yesterday that James and Emma are exempt from the dance-off but not from elimination. I thought that was part of the point of the dance-off -- to keep someone who had earned it safe?

What do you mean?

Share this post


Link to post

If any of you are fans of Trevor Noah and/or The Daily Show, the main story on Wed, Oct 30’s episode was about the current season of DWTS and one of their participants. It was pretty interesting but also a bit infuriating. 

As someone who has seen Trevor do stand up in person and read his book, I was floored to learn that he competed on DWTS in South Africa. How did I not know this?!?! And he was good! If you love him, please try and find a clip on YouTube of the show. You won’t be disappointed.

  • Like 6
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Sharna Burgess was with Tristan MacManus at some event in Melbourne, Australia, relating to the upcoming season of the Australian DWTS - pretty sure that means she'll be a judge on that show again. And Tristan too!

Edited by Morrigan · Reason: attach photo
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I wish I could look forward to tonight, but I suspect the B2 is going to be some combo of Kate, Kel and Ally and Kate would go home over either of those, unless she is amazing tonight and Kel takes a dive because he's kind of back and forth himself.  She would 100% go against Ally.  Though truthfully if she goes in Week 8, she will have had a good run and I can go back to ignoring the show until Spicer is gone, if ever.

I also get the impression, though I could be wrong, that most of them are doing some sort of package about their careers or something important to them and I have a bad feeling they are going to spotlight Spicer's time in the Navy, which means he isn't ever going home and the show isn't even trying at this point.  Just because some of the producers usually post clues about where they film the packages week to week and producers filmed something on some sort of military ship (sorry not an expert in any of that stuff) and he's dancing to Come Sail Away so it all seems to just add up.  The serving our country package could be for someone else, but he's the most obvious one added up with his song.  So barf as painting him as some sort of patriotic American.

Like how does Kate, whose package will be seemingly based on some LA theatre she works at a lot and will probably be about her comedy stage background, compete with the patriotic American package Sean will get.  The show chooses to push an outcome with this nonsense.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post

Spicer won't go anywhere as long as the show keeps giving him positive edits and decent scores. No doubt they love the attention he is bringing them, and I have no doubt he will be getting a job on Fox or a book deal out of this. His sorry ass wasn't even an afterthought when he resigned as press secretary, but thanks to this stupid show he is back in the spotlight again getting rewarded for lying.

  • Like 7
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post

So - I'm in Dallas, and my DVR doesn't have DWTS running here until the wee hours of Tuesday morning because of the Cowboys playing Monday night football. I wonder how that would affect voting in this part of Texas, if at all...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Spicer won't go anywhere as long as the show keeps giving him positive edits and decent scores. No doubt they love the attention he is bringing them, and I have no doubt he will be getting a job on Fox or a book deal out of this. His sorry ass wasn't even an afterthought when he resigned as press secretary, but thanks to this stupid show he is back in the spotlight again getting rewarded for lying.

I really won’t be surprised if he does end up making it into the finale.

1 hour ago, madpsych78 said:

So - I'm in Dallas, and my DVR doesn't have DWTS running here until the wee hours of Tuesday morning because of the Cowboys playing Monday night football. I wonder how that would affect voting in this part of Texas, if at all...

Here in New Hampshire, the game is airing on ESPN.

Share this post


Link to post

It's kinda interesting how often Lindsey gets the patriotic package.  Isn't this her 4th or 5th time?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Does anyone know what happened to Lindsay's mother-in-law?  Sad, especially since it was unexpected. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I understand why Cheryl couldn't/wouldn't say "I think he's the scum of the earth, I can't believe the producers gave him a platform, and I'm so put off that these cretins are keeping him in to stick one to 'Hollyweird'" even if she thought it, and I have no idea where she stands politically, but she didn't need to give him quite so enthusiastic a tongue bath, did she?

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/1/2019 at 1:54 AM, Bridget said:

If any of you are fans of Trevor Noah and/or The Daily Show, the main story on Wed, Oct 30’s episode was about the current season of DWTS and one of their participants. It was pretty interesting but also a bit infuriating. 

As someone who has seen Trevor do stand up in person and read his book, I was floored to learn that he competed on DWTS in South Africa. How did I not know this?!?! And he was good! If you love him, please try and find a clip on YouTube of the show. You won’t be disappointed.

I didn't see the clip on YT, but Twitter (I don't know why the link is not embedding):

https://mobile.twitter.com/thedailyshow/status/1082423550101934081?lang=en

Share this post


Link to post

If you wonder who is voting for Sean Spicer?  Well, on "The View" this morning, Meghan McCain, laughingly, said she is rooting for Sean Spicer(I had the feeling she IS voting for him), she admits he is a Terrible Dancer, but she finds him amusing....hmmmm

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Not saying it would have made any difference, but I wonder how different the season might have been if Christie Brinkley had not broken her arm...

Edited by catlover79
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I understand why Cheryl couldn't/wouldn't say "I think he's the scum of the earth, I can't believe the producers gave him a platform, and I'm so put off that these cretins are keeping him in to stick one to 'Hollyweird'" even if she thought it, and I have no idea where she stands politically, but she didn't need to give him quite so enthusiastic a tongue bath, did she?

Cheryl even before this strikes me as fairly apolitical and she does come from a rich family, which I have no idea how they lean.  But yeah, I don't expect people to be mean to the guy and I understand not trashing him but the excessive tongue baths from some about how he's misunderstood is jarring.

It is interesting as the celebs and others get kicked of to get vibes on the whole Sean mess.  Karamo keeps waffling back and forth but has finally started walking back his "we're friends" crap he was peddling at his elimination and Kate clearly has no use for him.  I don't know that she hates him but I'm pretty sure she hates what he stands for from context clues and is mostly trying to avoid the topic, except of course the media keeps asking her directly.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

If you wonder who is voting for Sean Spicer?  Well, on "The View" this morning, Meghan McCain, laughingly, said she is rooting for Sean Spicer(I had the feeling she IS voting for him), she admits he is a Terrible Dancer, but she finds him amusing....hmmmm

I still don't understand what is "amusing" about him.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I hope from now on, the show thinks twice about casting political figures (no matter what side of the fence they're on). I agree with Tom Bergeron - the show should be about escapism and the nostalgia factor. Politics, especially in this day and age, divide so many people. We watch shows like DWTS to get away from all that. Hopefully, the casting people will learn from this season and don't cast political figures again!!

Edited by catlover79
  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post

What angers me is when contestants push their fans to vote and even instruct those on the west coast to vote without even watching the show.  So now folks are voting who may not even be viewers.  I don't know how they could prevent this.  Perhaps the technology exists where they could display a code on live TV that allows you to vote.  Wait, that won't work because someone will tweet the code.  Nevermind.  We're screwed.

Sean should remove himself from the contest.  His staying is disrespectful to the viewers, to production, and to the other contestants. I realize that he's enjoying himself, but it is so frustrating watching him get saved week after week, when more deserving contestants go home.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Hopefully, the casting people will learn from this season and don't cast political figures again!!

If there is one.  Their ratings are lower than they've ever been.  I know it's cheap to make, and broadcast numbers are generally lower these days, but I half want the show to be taken out back and shot already.  And by "half" I mean "very much, actually."

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, deSchenke said:

What angers me is when contestants push their fans to vote and even instruct those on the west coast to vote without even watching the show.  So now folks are voting who may not even be viewers.  I don't know how they could prevent this.  Perhaps the technology exists where they could display a code on live TV that allows you to vote.  Wait, that won't work because someone will tweet the code.  Nevermind.  We're screwed.

That is not the contestants fault. They have to do that and of course they will employ their fanbases. The setup of the show this season means that if a contestant goes last or towards the end that viewers have less time to vote for them based on merit, so it's not technically fair the other way either.  If people are only voting based on having seen the dances, then if person X goes first, that person has almost two full hours of voting based on merit and person Y going last has 15 minutes.  So that setup isn't fair either.

Plus if people were really voting fairly in that way, then viewers would have to wait until the end of the show to vote since it would be fair to watch everyone dance before making a decision.  But that has never been how fans react to this show.

I understand being upset at the structure TPTB created.  I can't be upset at the contestants (besides Spicy) for having to work an impossible system to try and stay in the game.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I think in most cases, people aren't going to vote for someone just because some celebrity they liked told them to. I love Paul McCartney, but I wouldn't vote for someone just because he tweeted for that person. I do think in Spicer's case it makes a difference, though. It is pretty unheard of for a sitting president to pimp someone on a fluffy reality show.

That said, all the contestants shill for votes themselves, so I can't fault Sean for that.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

I think in most cases, people aren't going to vote for someone just because some celebrity they liked told them to. I love Paul McCartney, but I wouldn't vote for someone just because he tweeted for that person. I do think in Spicer's case it makes a difference, though. It is pretty unheard of for a sitting president to pimp someone on a fluffy reality show.

That said, all the contestants shill for votes themselves, so I can't fault Sean for that.

I can't fault Sean for shilling for himself, it's the how he does it that bothers me.  If you're equating your DWTS run to family values and making America great again, that is a problem.

But I agree on the rest.  I think a strategic celeb endorsement during voting hours can help somewhat if a celeb blatantly spells out how to vote, but I don't think most celeb endorsements do all that much and especially since often they will post something at like the beginning of the day and so it's buried by the time the show is on.  A well timed one can be a reminder to somebody who maybe was going to vote and forgot, but that is about it.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

The best way to save the show (if they get renewed, and I think they will), is if next season they have all contestants be stars of classic TV shows. They did an all-athlete season, but I think this idea would be a guaranteed winner. DWTS would be wise to try it.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, deSchenke said:

What angers me is when contestants push their fans to vote and even instruct those on the west coast to vote without even watching the show.  So now folks are voting who may not even be viewers.  I don't know how they could prevent this.  Perhaps the technology exists where they could display a code on live TV that allows you to vote.  Wait, that won't work because someone will tweet the code.  Nevermind.  We're screwed.

Sean should remove himself from the contest.  His staying is disrespectful to the viewers, to production, and to the other contestants. I realize that he's enjoying himself, but it is so frustrating watching him get saved week after week, when more deserving contestants go home.

He should Withdraw.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, spanana said:

I can't fault Sean for shilling for himself, it's the how he does it that bothers me.  If you're equating your DWTS run to family values and making America great again, that is a problem.

But I agree on the rest.  I think a strategic celeb endorsement during voting hours can help somewhat if a celeb blatantly spells out how to vote, but I don't think most celeb endorsements do all that much and especially since often they will post something at like the beginning of the day and so it's buried by the time the show is on.  A well timed one can be a reminder to somebody who maybe was going to vote and forgot, but that is about it.

I agree.  Contestants are going to shill for votes.  But don't say stuff like the judges hate me because I'm Christian or vote for me to stick it to the Left.  Other people that are voting/re-tweeting are repeating the same thing.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

I don't like the fact that you can vote without even watching the show.  Worse yet is when the contestants encourage you to vote without watching the show.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, deSchenke said:

I don't like the fact that you can vote without even watching the show.  Worse yet is when the contestants encourage you to vote without watching the show.

I agree with you, and I say that as someone who lives in California. There is a certain contestant whose campaign explicitly states “Don’t wait for me to dance, just vote now!” The same contestant also instructs his “supporters” on how to vote via text message and on abc.com. This is the same person who shared during his intro package last week that his wife texts everyone on Monday nights to remind them to vote.

I almost wish there was some sort of audition or tryout process for potential contestants. It would rely only on the basics, like rhythm, musicality and ability to clap on the beat. I’m not even even joking! If one has no rhythm, they will never be able to dance. No one wants to watch contestants awkwardly stomp around on the dance floor.  I’m fine with bad dancers who are actually trying, but I will never be fine with people who stand in one place or only walk/march on the floor and have the nerve to call it “dancing.” Spicer would never have been cast after someone asked him to try to clap on the beat. Watching Lamar Odom was painful because he was awful. So was Sharna’s partner last season. Master P sucked as well. 
 

If there’s a realistic and alternate voting system idea floating around, I’d love to hear it. The overnight voting system was nixed because of fake and/or duplicate accounts that produced an onslaught of votes for one or more contestants. The 28293949556 votes for certain contestants (ahem, ahem) does need to end because it’s just insane. In my opinion, that’s not what the spirit of the show is about. It would be great if viewers had an individual ID number, specific code or some other method to guarantee they were actual fans, but it’s just not feasible. 

Fans of the show should be the ones voting, not a wave of voters who don’t know Len from Bruno.

However, I live in California and I don’t have satellite TV. I vote every Monday at 5:10pm PST for Kel and then tune in later that night to watch the show.  

It might sound crazy, but as a longtime viewer, fan and dancer myself, I am invested in the show. Like the saying goes, If I don’t vote, I can’t complain. 
 

Edited by Bridget
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Bridget said:

I agree with you, and I say that as someone who lives in California. There is a certain contestant whose campaign explicitly states “Don’t wait for me to dance, just vote now!”

Couldn't agree more. ABC needs to stop calling it DWTS. Just call it "An evening with your favorite D list stars". Let them talk, recite a poem, etc (whatever the heck they feel like doing), then line them up and let the voting begin.

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/7/2019 at 5:21 PM, catlover79 said:

The best way to save the show (if they get renewed, and I think they will), is if next season they have all contestants be stars of classic TV shows. They did an all-athlete season, but I think this idea would be a guaranteed winner. DWTS would be wise to try it.

I really love this idea and think it would be a great way to get the show back on track!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

To change the subject from the Spicer melodrama, I am so down for a James vs. Ally showdown because A) they're both good, and B) Sasha vs. Emma. That would be fun!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/9/2019 at 2:07 PM, Bridget said:

I almost wish there was some sort of audition or tryout process for potential contestants. It would rely only on the basics, like rhythm, musicality and ability to clap on the beat. I’m not even even joking! If one has no rhythm, they will never be able to dance. No one wants to watch contestants awkwardly stomp around on the dance floor.  I’m fine with bad dancers who are actually trying, but I will never be fine with people who stand in one place or only walk/march on the floor and have the nerve to call it “dancing.” Spicer would never have been cast after someone asked him to try to clap on the beat. Watching Lamar Odom was painful because he was awful. So was Sharna’s partner last season. Master P sucked as well. 

I had that same thought last night watching Spicer flail about.  It's just uncomfortable for everyone involved:  "star," pro partner, judges, hosts, viewers...  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/16/2019 at 2:03 PM, boyznkatz said:

I think this live vote thing is going to piss off a lot of people. I don't bother with voting, so it doesn't affect me, but I do feel bad for people who actually want to vote.  Are they going to bother if they haven't even seen the dances?

It's bugging the heck out of me. I haven't had much interest this season as it is. My husband watches something else during this time frame, so I always have to watch on at least somewhat of a delay. I think it's a punk move.

Basically, they've guaranteed that my so-so interest will drop even more. If they are trying to kill the show with this, they've probably succeeded, since I doubt I'm alone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size