Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
kjh

General Gabbery: DWTS

Recommended Posts

On 10/1/2019 at 3:17 PM, spanana said:

She also briefly was on that show on one of the networks with Nicole S. and Joe Jonas where they had to learn to do different acts.  I don't entirely remember the point of it but like AGT type acts would come on and they had to vote on what they think they could do and couldn't do and the acts would teach them to do a routine and one of them would "win".

She and another one of the pros were also slated to be judges on a talent competition show, including receiving producer credits. However, the show never made it out of production. If I'm remembering it was NBC and planned to go on in direct competition to DWTS. The Voice got the spot instead. 

Share this post


Link to post

On 10/1/2019 at 3:17 PM, spanana said:

She also briefly was on that show on one of the networks with Nicole S. and Joe Jonas where they had to learn to do different acts.  I don't entirely remember the point of it but like AGT type acts would come on and they had to vote on what they think they could do and couldn't do and the acts would teach them to do a routine and one of them would "win".

I remember this show.  Cheryl filled in the gaps when she was out of DTWS, nevertheless, I recall some behind the scenes reveals perceived as negative, and I do believe that is why she had the hiatus.

Share this post


Link to post

So...I did some research. 😁

Since Gleb came highly recommended from other versions of the show, I looked through some of his dances there.

A samba on Strictly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pZ23eShemY

AT on the Russian version with Adelina Sotnikova (IMO the whole water theme is here much better used than later with Jana):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq3ojTRvfQA

And tbh, it's all a bit of a headscratcher.... I mean, it's the same aesthetic he uses on DWTS, heavy on theatricality, for my taste too much filler and too much reliance on "sexy". But...those are substantial dances with plenty of content. Vastly superior to anything he's produced on DWTS so far. And it's not like he hasn't been given partners with potential.

So what is the problem? Does he somehow just not click with this version of the show? Thinks he has to dumb it down for the format? Since TPTB seem to like him, I'd prefer it if the version of Gleb that was around on SCD showed up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

I understand the urge to get the show "back on track" to some degree, but they need to realize that this will hamper the quality of the dances and the entertainment value if they go too far. Also: The celebs with weaker pros will be at even more of a disadvantage, because if you have someone who can't work around the nonsense they're given, you'll look even worse...

OTOH, this was always done on the show. Pros and celebs had perhaps some music input, but throughout the years there's been tons of inappropriate song assignment and wacky "themes" that made the pros want to run away. A lot of them have publicly complained about it.

Mark once said that they basically ordered him to put Bristol in that gorilla costume. And I tend to believe him

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, katha said:

Mark once said that they basically ordered him to put Bristol in that gorilla costume. And I tend to believe him

I'm no Bristol fan, but I felt sorry for her about that. How did she not quit?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Totally agree with everything Cheryl said in her article!  She would be the female version of Len.  And the Prod should have a say if the music doesn’t fit the dance. 

And I thought they got rid of troop, but Movie Night had plenty of extra dancers and gimmicks.  ( but I hate to admit  I did like the ending of Sailor and Val’s with the added dancers)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, katha said:

So...I did some research. 😁

Since Gleb came highly recommended from other versions of the show, I looked through some of his dances there.

A samba on Strictly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pZ23eShemY

AT on the Russian version with Adelina Sotnikova (IMO the whole water theme is here much better used than later with Jana):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq3ojTRvfQA

And tbh, it's all a bit of a headscratcher.... I mean, it's the same aesthetic he uses on DWTS, heavy on theatricality, for my taste too much filler and too much reliance on "sexy". But...those are substantial dances with plenty of content. Vastly superior to anything he's produced on DWTS so far. And it's not like he hasn't been given partners with potential.

So what is the problem? Does he somehow just not click with this version of the show? Thinks he has to dumb it down for the format? Since TPTB seem to like him, I'd prefer it if the version of Gleb that was around on SCD showed up.

Oh, my<fans self>. This may be shallow, but can we get this version of Gleb? He doesn't seem as smarmy, and when he talks in another language...

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/5/2019 at 12:14 PM, luvthepros said:

Watched this link above. Gleb is a very hard worker. I know he is not popular on this site but if you didn't watch this link above, give it a go and watch it now. Gleb is impressive as a teacher and a dancer.......

Gleb (Russian but you don't have to understand what is being said)

I love this! I wish he would do more of this on the American version. Of course, he hasn't had a partner near as good as Adelina though...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/5/2019 at 3:14 PM, luvthepros said:

Watched this link above. Gleb is a very hard worker. I know he is not popular on this site but if you didn't watch this link above, give it a go and watch it now. Gleb is impressive as a teacher and a dancer.......

Gleb (Russian but you don't have to understand what is being said)

Then why hasn't this version of Gleb shown up on the US version once in 10 seasons.  Even if he hasn't had partners as good, he has partners with potential and part of the game is being able to coach celebrities of different abilities.  Plus in his case it's not just the teaching that has been lacking but his choreo.  He has had a few duds but he's also had people with potential that likely would have done better with other partners (Sasha P., Lauren, etc.). I think he probably did his best with Jana, but even that his choreo was mostly lame.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, spanana said:

Then why hasn't this version of Gleb shown up on the US version once in 10 seasons. 

Maybe he isn't that motivated unless he knows he is going to win? Adelina was the mother of all ringers. Not only was she a good dancer, she was hugely popular because she had recently won a gold medal when she was on. No way was she ever going to lose.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, for whatever reason, nothing he's done on other versions of the show really translates on DWTS. He's done well with Jana mostly, I'll give him that. But IMO after that it's been lost opportunity after lost opportunity. If you can only produce decent results with ringers or near ringers, that doesn't speak for you as a pro. Hell, even Maks has a Kristie Alley season under his belt, where he vastly overperformed with a challenging partner...😁

And it's like both teaching and choreo doesn't work, so it's not like with someone like Tony, for example, who wasn't some master choreographer, but had a skill set in teaching older and more tentative contestants. And even he did usually pretty good and went far into the season when he had strong partners. Lindsay seems to do well with everyone. Mark and Derek often had partners with potential. But OTOH, Mark IMO really showed his mettle with Bristol Palin, one of the most difficult candidates to ever do the show. And Derek and Mark also made  people like Rickie Lake, Lil Kim, Candace Cameron Bure or Sadie Robertson into contenders.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

So will there be an elimination on tonight's episode?

Yes, there should be an elimination.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

So I thought we were rid of contemporary and jazz permanently but I guess not.  They are showing up for Disney night though I'm not sure if it's a one off for Disney night to give some people leeway and to make the songs work or if it show up other weeks.

Kate and Kel I believe both have jazz and Ally has a contemp.  I hope Pasha is comfortable choreographing jazz cause the jazzes on this show are generally so lackluster.  Though if she has something she can act the crap out of it she will be fine.

Disney Week

Edited by spanana
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

4 minutes ago, spanana said:

So I thought we were rid of contemporary and jazz permanently but I guess not.  They are showing up for Disney night though I'm not sure if it's a one off for Disney night to give some people leeway and to make the songs work or if it show up other weeks.

Kate and Kel I believe both have jazz and Ally has a contemp.  I hope Pasha is comfortable choreographing jazz cause the jazzes on this show are generally so lackluster.  Though if she has something she can act the crap out of it she will be fine.

I bet they bring back contemporary for Most Memorable Year. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I feel like Len for asking this (and I can handle the booing!), but...

Am I the only one who doesn’t care about Disney Night and wish they skipped it? I know why they have it as a theme week, but I have a hard time believing every single dancer LOVES and is OBSESSED with Disney. It reminds me of when they meet their partners and are SO EXCITED because both people really wanted to be matched with each other. 

I live about an hour south of Disneyland and haven’t been since I was a teenager, so maybe I’m missing out on the cool new stuff? Even as a little girl, I preferred Scooby Doo cartoons and Knott’s Berry Farm was my preferred theme park. 

I have nephews, so I’ve seen most of the Marvel Universe films (Hello, Captain America!), but I know they aren’t originally a Disney staple. I really love the Toy Story films and I even have my own copy of “Brave” at home, but I just can’t seem to get fired up over Disney Night. 

Maybe I’d be on board if someone danced to something from “Guardians of the Galaxy” or waltzed to a slow air from the “Brave” soundtrack?

Edited by Bridget · Reason: I meant booing, not boing.
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, Bridget said:

I feel like Len for asking this (and I can handle the boing!), but...

Am I the only one who doesn’t care about Disney Night and wish they skipped it?

No, you're not the only one. I liked it the first time they did it, but it has become tiresome since then. Not to mention they always do contemporary and jazz on those nights. I wish they would do classical night again. That was one theme night that I really liked, but they never brought back.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Bridget said:

I feel like Len for asking this (and I can handle the boing!), but...

Am I the only one who doesn’t care about Disney Night and wish they skipped it? I know why they have it as a theme week, but I have a hard time believing every single dancer LOVES and is OBSESSED with Disney. It reminds me of when they meet their partners and are SO EXCITED because both people really wanted to be matched with each other. 

I live about an hour south of Disneyland and haven’t been since I was a teenager, so maybe I’m missing out on the cool new stuff? Even as a little girl, I preferred Scooby Doo cartoons and Knott’s Berry Farm was my preferred theme park. 

I have nephews, so I’ve seen most of the Marvel Universe films (Hello, Captain America!), but I know they aren’t originally a Disney staple. I really love the Toy Story films and I even have my own copy of “Brave” at home, but I just can’t seem to get fired up over Disney Night. 

Maybe I’d be on board if someone danced to something from “Guardians of the Galaxy” or waltzed to a slow air from the “Brave” soundtrack?

I'd like it better if they didn't do it every single season.

The one I'm looking forward to most is Halloween. That's always fun!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

As I pretty much loathe Disney (message and marketing), I would be super happy if they'd drop Disney night.  I agree that many of them are pretending to be so chuffed to dance to these tunes, although it doesn't hurt the contestants to be associated the brand because the general social attitude to the monolith is worship, even for just a minute and  a half.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Disney night worked the first time around because they used the songs that people recognize and know. However, as the years/seasons go on with this show, we aren't even getting the B sides now. We're getting the cutting room floor rejects. 

I like the classical night or the Broadway night better. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I dont mind disney night but they need to stop grabbing from the same disney films. I was glad to see HSM as a selection last night because it was a change from all the Princess theme dances. Its so many disney films they can explore but we keep getting the same films every season.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

They keep using the same song AND dances for Disney night.  How many have done a samba to "I Just Can't Wait to be King" or "Under the Sea"?  Or a VW to a Cinderella song or "A Whole New World" (I know Hannah's was a Foxtrot this time around)?  A Quickstep to "You Got a Friend in me"? Or a Paso to Pirates of the Caribbean?  And it just so happens when the pro tells the star what they'll be dancing to, "that's my FAVORITE movie EVER!"  Mmm-hmmm. 

I liked 3 years ago when they did a Cirque de Soliel night.  Also agree with @Toonces464 that Halloween night is the best night.  

Edited by ShaNaeNae
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

I’m surprised they haven’t done Most Memorable Year (Sob Story) night yet. Don’t they usually like to do that one early in the season, when there are still plenty of couples left?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

The actress who plays Lily on Modern Family was in the audience tonight. She’s a teenager so I have to wonder if some incarnation of DWTS Juniors is on the horizon again.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

The actress who plays Lily on Modern Family was in the audience tonight. She’s a teenager so I have to wonder if some incarnation of DWTS Juniors is on the horizon again.  

I don’t think that DWTS Juniors is coming back.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I don’t think that DWTS Juniors is coming back.

I don’t think so either though they could very well come up with another idea with teenagers instead of including the younger kids.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/21/2019 at 11:12 PM, Koalagirl said:

I don’t think so either though they could very well come up with another idea with teenagers instead of including the younger kids.

Since Juniors isn't coming back, I could see her possibly doing the show in a couple years if it's still on the air, she's only two years younger than Willow Shields was when she did DWTS.  Modern Family is currently in its final season so she will be free, I'm surprised she wasn't pointed out by Tom like when other ABC employees are in the audience.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Some interesting information from the press release about tonight's episode:

Dancing with the Stars: Halloween (10/28)
            BOO-YAH!
  THE COMPETITION WILL GIVE THE AUDIENCE PUMPKIN TO TALK ABOUT
  AS EIGHT CELEBRITY AND PRO-DANCER COUPLES CELEBRATE HALLOWEEN AND COMPETE FOR THE COVETED MIRRORBALL TROPHY ON
  ABC’S ‘DANCING WITH THE STARS,’ MONDAY, OCT. 28
“Halloween” – All treats and no tricks as eight celebrity and pro-dancer couples return to the ballroom to celebrate Halloween and compete on the seventh week of the 2019 season of “Dancing with the Stars,” live, MONDAY, OCT. 28 (8:00-10:00 p.m. EDT), on ABC. (TV-PG, L) Episodes can also be viewed the next day on ABC.com, the ABC app and Hulu.
The show starts with a spooky Halloween opening number set to “Bad Guy” by Billie Eilish and “Come Along” by Cosmo Sheldrake. Choreographed by Michael Rooney, the celebrities and pro dancers will take the audience on a journey from the graveyard to the ballroom, ending with an epic zombie dance number. Later, after a round of individual competitive performances, there will be an additional round of two Halloween team dances. Each team (Team Trick with James, Ally, Lauren & Hannah and Team Treat with Karamo, Kel, Sean & Kate) of four celebrities and their pro partners will compete for more judges’ points, which will be added in as part of the final scores of the evening.
Vying for America’s vote, each couple will dance to a variety of songs including Halloween classics “Time Warp” and “Monster Mash” as well as Donna Summer’s “Bad Girls,” Chris Issak’s “Wicked Game,” Annie Lennox’s “I Put a Spell on You,” and Ava Max’s “Sweet but Psycho,” among others.
This week, the live vote (via abc.com, the ABC app and SMS/text) will be combined with the judges’ scores and tabulated in real time, with the bottom two revealed during the broadcast. The live votes will occur each week only during the live broadcast in the EDT/CDT time zones (but fans in all U.S. time zones may vote within that window). And for the first time in “Dancing” history, judges will decide which celebrity up for elimination stays in the competition and which celebrity’s journey comes to an end.
The couples are (with their dance choice) the following:
  Country artist Lauren Alaina and Gleb Savchenko (Argentine Tango)
  Pop star Ally Brooke and Sasha Farber (Tango)
  “The Bachelorette” Hannah Brown and Alan Bersten (Jazz)
  “The Office” actress Kate Flannery and Pasha Pashkov (Rumba)
  TV host and “Queer Eye” star Karamo and Jenna Johnson (Paso)
  Comedian and actor Kel Mitchell and Witney Carson (Jive)
  Former White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer and Lindsay Arnold (Jive)
  TV and film actor James Van Der Beek and Emma Slater (Viennese Waltz)
For the first time ever, “Dancing with the Stars” now has an official podcast! Every week with host Kym Johnson Herjavec, “Dancing with the Stars” fans can listen in and get a behind-the-ballroom perspective for all the latest backstage action, reactions and exclusive interviews with their favorite couples and cast members. These special access episodes will be released weekly on Tuesdays on Apple, Spotify, Acast and other podcast platforms. The “Dancing with the Stars Official Podcast” is produced by BBC Studios. David King is the producer, and Fabrizia Mauro and Lisa Ledterman are the managing producers.
Hosted by two-time Emmy Award®-winning host Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews, “Dancing with the Stars” is the hit series in which celebrities perform choreographed dance routines that are judged by a panel of renowned ballroom experts, including head judge, Len Goodman, and dancers/choreographers Bruno Tonioli and Carrie Ann Inaba.

“Dancing with the Stars” is produced by BBC Studios. Andrew Llinares is executive producer.

Photography and video available at www.wdtvpress.com.

For more information on “Dancing with the Stars,” visit abc.com.

Follow ABC Publicity on Twitter and Instagram.

Follow “Dancing with the Stars” (#DWTS) on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.

I'm sorry if this is so long.

Edited by MikaelaArsenault
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

THE COMPETITION WILL GIVE THE AUDIENCE PUMPKIN TO TALK ABOUT

...really, press release people :p? 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Some interesting information from the press release about tonight's episode:

Dancing with the Stars: Halloween (10/28)
            BOO-YAH!
  THE COMPETITION WILL GIVE THE AUDIENCE PUMPKIN TO TALK ABOUT
  AS EIGHT CELEBRITY AND PRO-DANCER COUPLES CELEBRATE HALLOWEEN AND COMPETE FOR THE COVETED MIRRORBALL TROPHY ON
  ABC’S ‘DANCING WITH THE STARS,’ MONDAY, OCT. 28
“Halloween” – All treats and no tricks as eight celebrity and pro-dancer couples return to the ballroom to celebrate Halloween and compete on the seventh week of the 2019 season of “Dancing with the Stars,” live, MONDAY, OCT. 28 (8:00-10:00 p.m. EDT), on ABC. (TV-PG, L) Episodes can also be viewed the next day on ABC.com, the ABC app and Hulu.
The show starts with a spooky Halloween opening number set to “Bad Guy” by Billie Eilish and “Come Along” by Cosmo Sheldrake. Choreographed by Michael Rooney, the celebrities and pro dancers will take the audience on a journey from the graveyard to the ballroom, ending with an epic zombie dance number. Later, after a round of individual competitive performances, there will be an additional round of two Halloween team dances. Each team (Team Trick with James, Ally, Lauren & Hannah and Team Treat with Karamo, Kel, Sean & Kate) of four celebrities and their pro partners will compete for more judges’ points, which will be added in as part of the final scores of the evening.
Vying for America’s vote, each couple will dance to a variety of songs including Halloween classics “Time Warp” and “Monster Mash” as well as Donna Summer’s “Bad Girls,” Chris Issak’s “Wicked Game,” Annie Lennox’s “I Put a Spell on You,” and Ava Max’s “Sweet but Psycho,” among others.
This week, the live vote (via abc.com, the ABC app and SMS/text) will be combined with the judges’ scores and tabulated in real time, with the bottom two revealed during the broadcast. The live votes will occur each week only during the live broadcast in the EDT/CDT time zones (but fans in all U.S. time zones may vote within that window). And for the first time in “Dancing” history, judges will decide which celebrity up for elimination stays in the competition and which celebrity’s journey comes to an end.
The couples are (with their dance choice) the following:
  Country artist Lauren Alaina and Gleb Savchenko (Argentine Tango)
  Pop star Ally Brooke and Sasha Farber (Tango)
  “The Bachelorette” Hannah Brown and Alan Bersten (Jazz)
  “The Office” actress Kate Flannery and Pasha Pashkov (Rumba)
  TV host and “Queer Eye” star Karamo and Jenna Johnson (Paso)
  Comedian and actor Kel Mitchell and Witney Carson (Jive)
  Former White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer and Lindsay Arnold (Jive)
  TV and film actor James Van Der Beek and Emma Slater (Viennese Waltz)
For the first time ever, “Dancing with the Stars” now has an official podcast! Every week with host Kym Johnson Herjavec, “Dancing with the Stars” fans can listen in and get a behind-the-ballroom perspective for all the latest backstage action, reactions and exclusive interviews with their favorite couples and cast members. These special access episodes will be released weekly on Tuesdays on Apple, Spotify, Acast and other podcast platforms. The “Dancing with the Stars Official Podcast” is produced by BBC Studios. David King is the producer, and Fabrizia Mauro and Lisa Ledterman are the managing producers.
Hosted by two-time Emmy Award®-winning host Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews, “Dancing with the Stars” is the hit series in which celebrities perform choreographed dance routines that are judged by a panel of renowned ballroom experts, including head judge, Len Goodman, and dancers/choreographers Bruno Tonioli and Carrie Ann Inaba.

“Dancing with the Stars” is produced by BBC Studios. Andrew Llinares is executive producer.

Photography and video available at www.wdtvpress.com.

For more information on “Dancing with the Stars,” visit abc.com.

Follow ABC Publicity on Twitter and Instagram.

Follow “Dancing with the Stars” (#DWTS) on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.

I'm sorry if this is so long.

Wicked Game is a sexy song not a Hallowen classic WTF?😂😂

  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

We have been a fan with this series since the begining but as of today were done and talking to a few others ,there done also . It's a no brainer that a lot of viwers are gonna disapear with the way the judging is set up . My wife was just livid since Spicer who has pretty well all 6's  stays in and the ones with 9's and who are good dancers go home ---what  the hell is going on here?????, we really thought after the fiasco last year that the judging would be better but it;s not  so bye bye  -  Louis

Edited by Louis Massicotte · Reason: spelling
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm watching so little of the show at this point - basically I come on here and if people seem to agree that they saw a good dance from a couple AND I like the couple, I watch it and nothing else.  So, frinstance, this week I will be watching James and Kate.  It's only about 7 minutes of my time.  Very disappointing that the new show runner is such an idiot -- I was really hoping for changes that sparked my interest, but I find the changes rather dull and uneventful.  I wouldn't be watching at all if I didn't like participating in this forum so much and I'm not sure how long that can keep me PVRing.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I have literally watched every episode of the U.S. version since it premiered as a little 6 episode summer tryout back in 2005, thus it is difficult for me to actually pull the trigger and stop watching for good, but for the first time ever the safety is off and my finger is on that trigger.  This is the very first season that I am basically not getting any enjoyment out of at all and if it had not returned after its hiatus last Spring, I probably would not have missed it much.

I watched the Disney ep a couple of weeks back late at night on my DVR and was falling asleep throughout.  There were huge gaps in what I recall seeing.  When I read the episode thread here I realized that I had missed a great deal of detail including entire dances.  I didn't care.  I just deleted it regardless.

A funny irony here is that I presume Sean Spicer's appearance on the show was part of a redemption strategy for him to recast his reputation, yet despite him behaving very decently on the show, this is only going to make many more Americans hate him, if that is possible.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/28/2019 at 1:52 PM, Josh371982 said:

Wicked Game is a sexy song not a Hallowen classic WTF?😂😂

Much like Bad Girls!  Another non-Halloween "classic". 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

The next episode is a Dance-Off one.

After a first round dance to a style they have not yet performed, seven couples compete, with two couples dancing at the same in the same style in a Dance-Off challenge.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Maybe the dance off will be an opportunity for the judges to get rid of Spicer?

Doesn't the audience also do some kind of voting during dance offs?  It would be terrible if Spicer was dancing against any of them and he wins that round.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size