Type keyword(s) to search

General Gabbery: DWTS

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, vdw84 said:

I personally just think she is doing it to stick to the fans of the show who were pissed over Bobby and her win. She is just trying to get under peoples skin because she knows everyone is still very pissed about their win. Sharna never been the one to be a big showoff and I always felt if she ever won, she would be one of the most humble ones because how she has always congratulated all the winners in past seasons but I think for this particular win and huge backlash she is just going to take it in stride and own it because it is her first and pissed off alot people so just say screw it and move on.

That seems like an awful lot of effort to take just to "stick it to people".  Like she really took the extra steps of packing it for trip and taking it on vacation and having a photoshoot with it, all to stick it to fans?  I'd agree with you if we were just talking about twitter responses or posting pics on social media or whatever, or things that took virtually no effort, but she took the time to carry the damn thing with her everywhere she goes?  Which can't be remotely convenient for her, especially when she's hopping on and off planes.  So I guess more power to her, but I'd question her intense need to stick it to people in the first place instead of just enjoying her dang win.

Also it's hard for me to say that Sharna has never been a big show off, especially in situations like this, because she has never won until now.  So I can't definitively say she wouldn't have acted like this before, but it's all just a lot.

Those things are so crappily made though that if she keeps it up it will fall apart soon.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, spanana said:

Maybe I just haven't paid attention in the past and it's more noticeable because of how much they annoyed me, but Sharna/Bobby seem particularly extra about their win.  I try to avoid Bobby on social media these days, but Sharna literally took her mirrorball on vacation with her and photographed it on the plane.  Like she took it with her and took it out of the box on the plane for the plane ride and had it set up in her little area.  Or at least for a photo op.  Like I really don't get traveling with the thing unless you have to do so.  I remember last year Lindsay had a hard time getting through airport security with the thing, but it was like a ha ha moment when she tried to take it back home, I presume to Utah.  It was boxed up and she didn't take it places.  Like I get this is a long time coming for Sharna so I get it to an extent, but isn't the actual winning the fun part and not the need to tout around a tacky badly made trophy everywhere to show it off?

I'm willing to bet $100 Maks slept with his mirrorball after he finally won it LOL

All kidding aside, Sharna is not on vacation, she is at David Ortiz's charity golf tournament and she was probably invited because she won so it would make sense for her to take her mirrorball there with her.

Edited by Toonces464
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, spanana said:

That seems like an awful lot of effort to take just to "stick it to people".  Like she really took the extra steps of packing it for trip and taking it on vacation and having a photoshoot with it, all to stick it to fans?  I'd agree with you if we were just talking about twitter responses or posting pics on social media or whatever, or things that took virtually no effort, but she took the time to carry the damn thing with her everywhere she goes?  Which can't be remotely convenient for her, especially when she's hopping on and off planes.  So I guess more power to her, but I'd question her intense need to stick it to people in the first place instead of just enjoying her dang win.

Also it's hard for me to say that Sharna has never been a big show off, especially in situations like this, because she has never won until now.  So I can't definitively say she wouldn't have acted like this before, but it's all just a lot.

Those things are so crappily made though that if she keeps it up it will fall apart soon.

Hell she waited so long to win, she pro. scared this be her only chance esp. since so many people can for her over the win. She may be just marinating with it for however long because she fear she may never get this chance again. Even tho it wasnt the ideal win by no means, it was still a win for her in her eyes and she may just want to suck it up as much as she can. Who knows,the way this season with, its only matter of time before dwts  cuts the plug.

• Love 1

Sharna update: She has the mirrorball at the beach on a table with her while she suns.  I have no words. Even if she’s just doing this to supposedly stick it to people, is she not embarrassed looking like a lunatic carrying this thing around the resort with her like a baby?  

• Love 3

My apologies if Sharna is at a charity event, but I'm sorry...it's still weird.  If she was invited because she won or based on her DWTS fame, which I'm sure was based on the latter, she was not required to bring the actual trophy along with her and she certainly wasn't required to bring it to the beach while she sunbathed.  You would just be announced at the charity event as the most recent DWTS winner, not required to trot out the trophy to prove it to people.  It's still a bit much.  Especially considering most of the athletes at the type of event have their own trophies and accolades, which I'm sure they didn't bring along.

I also repeat taking it to places like the beach is just going to make the thing fall apart quicker.  She should talk to some of the other pros whose trophies are falling apart.

Also Bobby claims he and Sharna are getting matching mirrorball tats.  Which DWTS tats aren't new...not sure if anybody has gotten a mirrorball one before.  Obviously Alexis got the number of the season, so they certainly aren't alone.

• Love 2

I find Sharna's eccentricities with her mirror ball to be charming.  But then, I walked around Toronto carrying my bouquet all day the day after my sister's wedding.  If a bouquet felt that glamorous and fantastic, I can only imagine what a disco-ball trophy would feel like.

The thing I think it super interesting about this horrendous win is that I don't think it will hurt DWTS at all (as I said on the other thread, the discussion hasn't continued beyond a week or 9 days for years on this board and look how many of us are still here).  I already know how curious I am to see what the show will do to fix it.  I think if the next season seems like more of the same, it may hurt them, but I doubt we'll ever be able to tell given the extreme longevity fo the show in a time of massive viewer choice about what to do with their viewing time.  At the moment, Bobby's win seems like an inevitable monkeys-typing-Hamlet kinda situation; it's only if it continues to dive after this season that I will say, no I don't need to see this.

Edited by crowceilidh
  • Love 6

Tbh, I think Bobby's win is just one issue of many dwts need to fix before I ever see it get to the popularity it once was and tbh it may never get that popularity again. I think even WOD that is highly popular now will decline its viewership overtime the longer it stays on. Dwts has been on 27 seasons, it is the longest running dance show on tv, it was only bound to lose viewership overtime. The thing it has to do now is try to maintain the little viewership it has which is going to be hard because I think alot of viewers have just gave up on this show a longtime ago and even more from this season.

• Love 1

Today is James Hinchcliffe's birthday.  Just about my all time favorite celeb to appear on DWTS.  I thought he and Sharna were a terrific team....and what great performances they created.  Comparing Hinch to Sharna's last partner is painful.  Neither Hinch nor Bobby had any dance experience at all...but that's where the similarity ends.   Hinch loved to learn and spend many REAL hours rehearsing.  He never went out on the dance floor unprepared, and brought joy and enthusiasm every night.  Happy birthday, Hinch.

• Love 13
19 hours ago, sinycalone said:

Today is James Hinchcliffe's birthday.  Just about my all time favorite celeb to appear on DWTS.  I thought he and Sharna were a terrific team....and what great performances they created.  Comparing Hinch to Sharna's last partner is painful.  Neither Hinch nor Bobby had any dance experience at all...but that's where the similarity ends.   Hinch loved to learn and spend many REAL hours rehearsing.  He never went out on the dance floor unprepared, and brought joy and enthusiasm every night.  Happy birthday, Hinch.

He was fantastic, a natural dancer and very unlucky not to win. Had Canada been allowed to vote I suspect he would have. Should there be an all star season in the future, I think he’d go in red hot favourite to win it.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Emily-D said:

He was fantastic, a natural dancer and very unlucky not to win. Had Canada been allowed to vote I suspect he would have. Should there be an all star season in the future, I think he’d go in red hot favourite to win it.

I'm sure many said the same thing about Gilles Marini and look how that turned out LOL

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I'm sure many said the same thing about Gilles Marini and look how that turned out LOL

I suspect James and Giles had totally different reactions to losing in their seasons.  Hinch kept his sense of humor about it...while Giles apparently did not.

4 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I didn't see Gilles during his regular season but he seemed like a douche during All Stars.  Good dancer but not a fan of his personality.  James has a nice funny personality.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, sinycalone said:

I suspect James and Giles had totally different reactions to losing in their seasons.  Hinch kept his sense of humor about it...while Giles apparently did not.

15 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

I didn't see Gilles during his regular season but he seemed like a douche during All Stars.  Good dancer but not a fan of his personality.  James has a nice funny personality.

The biggest part of Gilles V2 was his partner. He was incredible with Cheryl. With Peta, he was intolerable.

And this is coming from someone who LOVED Gilles V1.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

The biggest part of Gilles V2 was his partner. He was incredible with Cheryl. With Peta, he was intolerable.

And this is coming from someone who LOVED Gilles V1.

I'm no huge fan of Peta but I'm not laying this one on her. As I said before, I think Gilles was a victim of his previous success. He came on All Stars after years of hearing how much he should have won, how he was the greatest male contestant the show ever had and he'd also gotten a bit more fame, having parlayed his success from DWTS. All of that I think did get into his head and Gilles of All Stars was a humorless, taking himself way too serious dud.

I think his being a relative unknown in his original season was actually a good thing for him because he knew that people didn't really know him and he was ready to listen to whatever Cheryl said to get them far. In All Stars, now that he was this "star", he delivered plenty of back talk to Peta. He was also bothered right from the start that he wasn't paired with Cheryl, which didn't help his partnership and connection with Peta. That said, despite all that, I will say he took his elimination very well. 

Personally the male contestant I always felt got hosed in All Stars, was Apolo who I think did amazing with Karina. But they were determined to give the hipless wonder that was Melissa Rycroft the win so he was constantly dismissed with half-assed comments and middling scores. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

Personally the male contestant I always felt got hosed in All Stars, was Apolo who I think did amazing with Karina. But they were determined to give the hipless wonder that was Melissa Rycroft the win so he was constantly dismissed with half-assed comments and middling scores. 

Totally agree with this part. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I agree.  I also didn't see Apolo in his regular season but I liked him during All Stars.  They always gave Karina/Apolo the no chemistry criticism.  I'm sure that he had a different chemistry than when he was with Julianne since Julianne and Karina have different personalities.  But I thought Karina and Apolo were fine together.  He doesn't seem like a complainer to me and he didn't say anything even when Karina was really anxious about getting hip-hop.  He's a hard worker and I'm sure Karina appreciated that.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I'm no huge fan of Peta but I'm not laying this one on her. As I said before, I think Gilles was a victim of his previous success. He came on All Stars after years of hearing how much he should have won, how he was the greatest male contestant the show ever had and he'd also gotten a bit more fame, having parlayed his success from DWTS. All of that I think did get into his head and Gilles of All Stars was a humorless, taking himself way too serious dud.

I think his being a relative unknown in his original season was actually a good thing for him because he knew that people didn't really know him and he was ready to listen to whatever Cheryl said to get them far. In All Stars, now that he was this "star", he delivered plenty of back talk to Peta. He was also bothered right from the start that he wasn't paired with Cheryl, which didn't help his partnership and connection with Peta. That said, despite all that, I will say he took his elimination very well. 

My thing about All Stars, which I actually loved. There were journeys in a way, you had Kelly to come on and prove she deserved to win and could dance. You had Shawn coming on much older and more mature, etc.

I think TPTB were all about a newbie winning it and not a previous champ. I think Gilles was their horse from the beginning. Notice how his scores and comments were glowing for the first few weeks, also he got the reigning pro champ. When he started acting douchey, and his votes probably slid, they decided to back Melissa. Notice the week he got some real criticism (country week) and Melissa started getting 10's and then the following week she won the marathon and got this momentum.

In the semis, you had Melissa's momentum/TPTB help, the massive Shawn/Derek fanbase, and Kelly's rabid GH fanbase and the chemistry between her and Val, naturally Emmitt and Apolo stood no chance.

In the finals, they gave Melissa a perfect 60, and supposedly told Shawn to reprise their rule breaking Quickstep. Rumor was Derek wanted to reprise their fusion he couldn't do when he was injured. So giving them their QS was a way to show viewers "hey look how they broke rules again".

Overall, Shawn/Derek should've won All Stars, but I'm not mad that Melissa/Tony did. It gave him his only win, and Melissa while not the best dancer ever on DWTS, she held her own enough to be a good winner.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, realdancemom said:

I agree.  I also didn't see Apolo in his regular season but I liked him during All Stars.  They always gave Karina/Apolo the no chemistry criticism.  I'm sure that he had a different chemistry than when he was with Julianne since Julianne and Karina have different personalities.  But I thought Karina and Apolo were fine together.  He doesn't seem like a complainer to me and he didn't say anything even when Karina was really anxious about getting hip-hop.  He's a hard worker and I'm sure Karina appreciated that.

I don't think he had as much chemistry with Karina as he did with Julianne, but they were still fine. He didn't deserve all the criticism he got. RE Giles, he was super funny and humble in the first season, but I agree with the people who said the attention went to his head. He seemed like he was one of the few people who did get a career boost from dwts, and it didn't rub off well on him.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Toonces464 said:

They were on a break! (Please tell me we have some Friends fans on here)

And that's why I don't care what anyone says about how "annoying" he was, that alone made Ross Gellar a legend to me. 

But seriously, this is just getting pathetic now regarding Alan and Alexis. No one really cares that much about these two people, and the five delusional fangirls who bought into this nonsense, I'm sure they'll be fine as soon as something else pops up to distract them. 

They need to stop trying to pretend this was ever anything real and just let it quietly fade away and for Alan's sake, hope everyone forgets it ever happened, by next season. The fact is there was never anything between Alan and Alexis. She was the hot chick, he was good looking, that should have been enough they hoped to get them votes. But it wasn't. So out of desperation and probably prodding from the producers, they played up some fake romance and it worked to get them to the Finale. That's it. 

But the truth is those two were never in a romance, Alexis frankly seems spacey as hell, who knows what the real deal is with her boyfriend/ex-boyfriend and truthfully she spent the season flirting with a 17 year old, not Alan. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

And that's why I don't care what anyone says about how "annoying" he was, that alone made Ross Gellar a legend to me. 

But seriously, this is just getting pathetic now regarding Alan and Alexis. No one really cares that much about these two people, and the five delusional fangirls who bought into this nonsense, I'm sure they'll be fine as soon as something else pops up to distract them. 

They need to stop trying to pretend this was ever anything real and just let it quietly fade away and for Alan's sake, hope everyone forgets it ever happened, by next season. The fact is there was never anhe ything between Alan and Alexis. She was the hot chick, he was good looking, that should have been enough they hoped to get them votes. But it wasn't. So out of desperation and probably prodding from the producers, they played up some fake romance and it worked to get them to the Finale. That's it. 

But the truth is those two were never in a romance, Alexis frankly seems spacey as hell, who knows what the real deal is with her boyfriend/ex-boyfriend and truthfully she spent the season flirting with a 17 year old, not Alan. 

If you're not watching David Schwimmer now on Will & Grace, you should be!

I'm amazed that anyone has bought into them, but I've actually seen a lot of people torn up over this "breakup." Most of them are Peta/Sharna fans, which isn't that surprising, but it makes you realize how much this younger generating of watchers that they're trying so hard to bring in are really in it just for the "#relationshipgoals."

• Love 1

here is some changes this show needs: 

1.  bring back results show permanently but make it an hour

2. change the voting system. they can have the bottom two couples have a dance off and the judges chooses who to save or they can have the judges vote count 60% and audience vote 40% 

3. less troupe in dances. save them for freestyles. 

4. bring back dance marathons

5. have the announcer introduce the dances again. 

6. bring back confessionals

7. have the eliminations and winner announcements not be rushed.

8. increase the contestants by at least one. 

9. bring back dance center

10. have a christmas special after the season is over where former contestants come back and dance to christmas songs

11. have better singers

12. bring back mambo, jitterbug, swing, and lindy hop.

13. bring back macy’s stars of dance

14. bring back the original DWTS theme song and intro. 

15. have the music actually fit the dances.

16. bring back two night finales

17. less contemporary and jazz and more ballroom.

18. bring back fusion dances. 

19. less extra production on certain dances. it takes away from the couple that is dancing. 

20. less themes 

• Love 5
On 2018-12-06 at 8:29 AM, Emily-D said:

The All Star season took a tumble in the ratings due to the lack of care the show runners took in giving some past winners their original partner and others not. Ballroom dancing is all about the partnership, and that journey on dwts it’s not an individual sport, so either everyone gets a new partner or no one does.  That season reeked of manipulation and infighting. Cheryl had 3 former partners who returned so they should have given her Apolo, I would have loved to see how rival Karina would have danced with Emmitt, and then Gilles wouldn’t have been so put off dancing with Peta. He was a douche sure, but he was pissy because the fix was in. And it was silly to include Bristol and Kirstie Alley or Pam Anderson, none of whom got a 30 at all during their season. Of course they were all fodder. You can’t tell me there was no other woman who wanted to come back?  Kristie Yamagucci was waiting for the call that never came.  Jenny Garth got  a 30 during her season and wasn’t asked, and there was strong indications  that MelB was wanting to return but they cast Alley instead, for what comic relief?  And JR Martinez was mad as hell he didn’t get asked. So imagine how much better it would have been to have a more even competition, and All Stars who actually stood out for their dancing not controversy or popularity. If they ever do another AllStars and it’s doubtful they will,  the show has to stop treating the fans like idiots , because no matter how lovely these people were in their season, they like the fans can easily not be so gracious and walk away from this crap. 

Edited by LoveDance
  • Love 4
34 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

I’ve largely stayed out of this Bobby stuff because I wasn’t that invested in this season all around, but man, what a MANCHILD. Way to take a post congratulating a couple kids and make it all about how “hard” things are for you? Ew. 

So funny. I just saw his comment on the DWTS post and came here to ask why is he still carrying on?

• Love 5

So funny. I just saw his comment on the DWTS post and came here to ask why is he still carrying on?

Seriously. You’re a grown-ass man. Congratulate the children and move on.

Now all the comments on that post are about him instead of Sky and JT, so it seems he managed to get himself the attention he wanted.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Seriously. You’re a grown-ass man. Congratulate the children and move on.

Now all the comments on that post are about him instead of Sky and JT, so it seems he managed to get himself the attention he wanted.

That's sad.  It should be about Sky and Jt.  Congrats to Alan are also o.k.  But it definitely shouldn't be about Bobby.

• Love 4

Bobby doing that just reminds of how Sharna enabled him so much whenever he acted up on SM. Instead of ignoring his antics she stooped all the way down to his level with her 'clapbacks' to their "haters".  

• Love 3
13 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

I’ve largely stayed out of this Bobby stuff because I wasn’t that invested in this season all around, but man, what a MANCHILD. Way to take a post congratulating a couple kids and make it all about how “hard” things are for you? Ew. 

1CCA6611-A895-4057-B141-9742398D2982.jpeg

I think this should be the people's chimp.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

In some not-so-good news for the future of this show, DWTS won't be airing a Spring season.

It could be that they don't have any timeslot for the show for the spring (they're pretty packed with shows), or it could be the controversy from this past season that has the show on hiatus, or just a sign that they'll cancel it outright. Whatever the reason is, this definitely isn't great news.

I hope American Idol was worth it.

• Love 3

I hope American Idol was worth it.

It wasn't. People barely watched last season and no one cared about the winner far as I know (or that may just be me who couldn't even tell you who the winner was). 

But yeah this one will definitely go down as one of those WTF network decisions. Blow millions of dollars on rebooting a show that hadn't even been off the air for five years, which went off the air because the ratings had significantly dwindled and to facilitate it, gut a season of your other long standing reality show that was still pulling in some decent numbers. Okay then...

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

It wasn't. People barely watched last season and no one cared about the winner far as I know (or that may just me who couldn't even tell you who the winner was). 

I know who the winner was from last season, mainly 'cause she's from my state and is the first person from this state to win that show :D. 

I did watch the "Idol" reboot last year, and will probably watch it again, just 'cause it's been a long-standing show for our family in general. But yeah, I do agree that it's kind of odd that they brought it back so soon after it originally went off the air, and agree the money that went into it probably could've been put to better use, both for DWTS and the network in general. 

• Love 3

Think we all knew it was on the cards the moment American Idol was picked up that DWTS was getting cut to one season. The ratings this season simply give them the ammunition to pull the trigger without any controversy. I don’t watch Idol live and probably won’t again because it will adversely affect DWTS. I’ll get it on catchup.

The writing is on the wall. The next season of DWTS is the most important in its history. They simply have to get it right if the show is to survive beyond 30 seasons. Unfortunately while the elimination and voting rules may change, I don’t think ABC will allow DWTS the budget it requires to cast notably recognisable celebs to help draw people in. It’ll be another list of cheap nobodies like the season just gone and the ratings will drop further. It’s sad but true.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Emily-D said:

Think we all knew it was on the cards the moment American Idol was picked up that DWTS was getting cut to one season. The ratings this season simply give them the ammunition to pull the trigger without any controversy. I don’t watch Idol live and probably won’t again because it will adversely affect DWTS. I’ll get it on catchup.

The writing is on the wall. The next season of DWTS is the most important in its history. They simply have to get it right if the show is to survive beyond 30 seasons. Unfortunately while the elimination and voting rules may change, I don’t think ABC will allow DWTS the budget it requires to cast notably recognisable celebs to help draw people in. It’ll be another list of cheap nobodies like the season just gone and the ratings will drop further. It’s sad but true.

I know I sound like a broken record but I've always said once they go to once a year the end is imminent. People move on to other things and in this case there isn't a good feeling carrying over from last season.

• Love 2

Yes, there isn't a good feeling, but there is a watching-that-accident feeling, which considering how disgusting human beings really are is likely to work fairly well if they make that right moves when everyone comes back in rubbernecking curiosity.  They won't have long to re-cement ties to the show.

• Love 1