Type keyword(s) to search

General Gabbery: DWTS

• Start Topic

I seriously can't even with the ice dancers. I'm a dancer so I'm excited to see some good dancing on this show, but it really isn't fair. It ESPECIALLY peeves me because there has been a decades-long campaign to get ballroom dancing in the Olympics that is going nowhere, but ice dancing is a derivative sport of ballroom dancing. My non-dancer favorites are Billy Dee Williams and Danica McKellar.

I don't even complain about the ringers anymore since the public votes, and if they don't like you, no matter how good you are, you won't win. There has to be some personality there, or an interesting backstory. What annoys me more are the people who flat out can't dance who make it way further than they should.

• Love 1

I don't want to say that I'm not going to watch, but now I have Out TV and I can watch RuPaul's Drag Race instead of this show.  I'd record DWTS, but I'm still seething that they would send the two least-popular stars home after one dance without giving them the chance to win over the viewers.  It was a shitty move!  I didn't watch Kristi's season, either, even though I went to school with her.  Now there's two ringers?  Jeez...

Kimmie and Aunt Becky I can tolerate. If the brother shows up, my head will explode.

Erin cannot do comedy, imo. Leave that to Tom who can do no wrong in my book.

Glad the skybox is back even though I loathe the stairs. I hated that insipid glitter lounge or whatever they called it last year.

Still not crazy about the one night format. It sucks all the fun out of it for me.

Len: "You're good on wood."

Len: "The judges will go down on you." Someone do Len a favor and hook him up with Urban Dictionary so he can stop embarrassing himself.

So glad Sloppy Seconds is gone. I wish he had taken that twit Cody with him instead of Diana, who couldn't dance, but I enjoyed her spirit.

• Love 1

Kimmie and Aunt Becky I can tolerate. If the brother shows up, my head will explode.

Glad the skybox is back even though I loathe the stairs. I hated that insipid glitter lounge or whatever they called it last year.

Still not crazy about the one night format. It sucks all the fun out of it for me.

Len: "You're good on wood."

Len: "The judges will go down on you." Someone do Len a favor and hook him up with Urban Dictionary so he can stop embarrassing himself.

So glad Sloppy Seconds is gone. I wish he had taken that twit Cody with him instead of Diana, who couldn't dance, but I enjoyed her spirit.

Agree- Erin should stick to what she's good at...more the straight man interview person.  Leave the comedy to emmy award winning Tom B!

As Candace has jive this week....wondering if there will be some sort of Full House theme since she has some cast members there.  I REALLY hope not.  I really can't think of an iconic DJ Tanner moment similar to "I'm So Exicted.....so scared" from Saved by the Bell....so I hope and pray the producers don't try to re-hash that idea.

Now if that twit Cody could do something about his atrocious diaper pants........

As for Len...I refuse to believe that at 105 years old he doesn't understand the double meaning of what he is saying.

• Love 1

Just a thought on the inevitable Meryl/Derek pairing.  I really don't think Derek will wind up with Meryl for good.  The week of the switch is the first week that Meryl and Charlie will be on the road and while Derek can probably make time to travel with them for one week, I doubt he would be able to keep it up for the rest of the season.  Derek is supposed to be overseeing the Macys Stars of Dance stuff.  How can he do that if he's travelling cross country with Meryl every week?  So I'm actually not sure it's entirely feasible for Derek to keep her anyway. 

For the switch - I would rather just see them pick names out of a bowl rather than the stupid twitter voting.  I think Derek is the best choreographer on the show, but am tired of him winning. 

• Love 2

I'm usually not a fan of Derek, but I like him better this season for some reason. Maybe because I haven't watched the show since whatever season it was that Baby won. I've never managed to watch a whole season, but this year I'm fast forwarding through the judges comments and that makes it much easier. I just hope they don't pair Ballas with someone I like. I couldn't watch several seasons I might have in the past cuz they paired the one celeb I liked with the one pro I cannot abide.

The idea of the "ringers" used to bug me, but after so many seasons with so many obvious ringers, I just don't care anymore. Watching for the dancing and not overly concerned with who wins, as long as it isn't Ballas.....

You just ruined the show for me.  I would have NEVER guessed that would happen.  CAI emotional??? How do you know these things?  LOL.  Anywho I tend to be annoyed with the theme "Most Memorable Year of My Life."  The whole point is to see who can get you to cry.  Not the celebs but really the producers. The thing with Amy is when I heard her story I didn't want to cry.  I mainly thought she was bad ass for deciding to become a bad ass Olympic snow boarder.

I don't blame the celebs b/c it's their stories and their life.  But this show has made me super cynical and fairly emotionless during "memorable year" week. It feels contrived by producers and their aim is super obvious.

Bob Saget might be a fun one to show up.  Maybe making lewd gestures or something or wearing a "Jesus Loves Candace!" T-Shirt or something.

Erin is a travesty--without any warmth OR wit.  Brooke, as bad as she was, at least had the warmth, if little wit.

Tom is without doubt the best host on TV.  I will admit to hating him for a period when all I knew him from was that Home Videos show, but that was more the stupid show's fault than his.  He makes DWTS watchable more than anybody else.  Never caught flatfooted.  Has the wit to spring off anything that happens, the warmth to make you care about what are often in actuality fairly stupid going-ons, and the professionalism to make it all look easy (when its truly incredibly hard). I remember the year when they had all the Reality Show hosts present the Emmys.  I kept thinking "why don't they just have Tom do all of this--do we really need these other clowns?"  Well its kind of the same with DWTS.  They could get the timing down for him to do the celeb interviews himself without breaking the flow of the show. They just have this built-in bias that most British-based shows seem to have for "double acts", where they insist on using two people for the job of one.

Further reason the switch-up will be a trainwreck.  The voting is a big old mess.  So first there has been confusion about whether you are supposed to tweet the names with spaces or without.  Because the pros and celebs are telling people to do it without spaces, but the automatic tweet generator from the official DWTS page does it with spaces.  Then with Maks and Val there is also great confusion about whether or not people have to use their full names or not.  Is it Maks or Maksim?  Val or Valentin?  Because on the DWTS page they have their full names, but that is not generally how people refer to them on the show, so many fans are using their shortened names.  Like I swear in the past few seasons when they've had twitter votes they used Val not Valentin.   How is the show so badly organized?

While Maks is relatively reigned in this season so far, I will say he still is the same old Maks and lacks some tact.  Like he tweeted yesterday that the he wants Meryl with Val.  Most pros have avoided saying their preference publicly and have just told fans to vote, even though I'm sure they all have a desired outcome in mind.  Maks just put it out there.

I'm not saying I want Brooke back, but I agree what Erin lacks is warmth.  There was a gossip item circulating about how nobody can stand Erin on set and she's acting like a diva and blah blah blah.  Big grain of salt and I'm not saying I believe it though.  For all I know it was planted by people in Brooke's camp.

Edited by spanana

I said this over on TWoP but it bears repeating... I initially thought oh, it should be no spaces! But as I thought about what info TPTB need I realized it shouldn't matter. All they need to do is write a routine that collects all the tweets with #DWTS for the week and counts each variation. It's a simple matter to add, say, the collected numbers for #DWTSMerylVal, #DWTS Meryl Val, #DWTSMerylValentin, and #DWTS Meryl Valentin. It's a trivial programming effort, and it's also trivial to ignore upper vs. lower case.

Which they totally should have said by now, so yeah, they're being their usual annoying selves. The only way it matters is if TPTB think they can get away with being jerks, which they can't as long as one person who does Twitter programming checks up on them. And a *lot* of people do Twitter programming.

Which they totally should have said by now, so yeah, they're being their usual annoying selves. The only way it matters is if TPTB think they can get away with being jerks, which they can't as long as one person who does Twitter programming checks up on them. And a *lot* of people do Twitter programming.

This is the same show where the online voting magically broke down during the S16 finale.  I don't put anything past them when it comes to online voting.

I don't put anything past them when it comes to online voting.

ITA.  I think they will manipulate the votes to create the couples they want.  I think the rules have been purposely vague and I'm not a big Grassy Knoll type of person.  The whole thing comes off as fishy to me.  I don't even understand how the viewers will make some of the couples permanent and then others not.  But I am sure the show will explain this all away in a breezy manner that will make no sense whatsoever.

I'm already convinced the producers have the partners chosen and everyone spending their days tweeting these hash tags is wasting their time and clogging up other people's timelines. I hate the Twitter votes. I use Twitter to follow news about the show but I'm not going to spend all day tweeting. If they had a poll set up where you could vote once a day or something I would do that but otherwise, not worth it. The only gimmick that would make incessant tweeting worth it for me was if they included former pros and let them come back for a week. 

Hmm, they should do that anyway. Give all the current pros a week off and bring back old pros to dance with the celebs once a season.

• Love 2

See, the thing I've always hated about the Twitter voting is that I use Twitter as a professional medium, and there is no way in Hell that I'm going to subject the people who follow me to a string of inane pair votes for DwTS.  And when TPTB don't even bother to explain the voting properly, well, why should anyone else really bother?

While Maks is relatively reigned in this season so far, I will say he still is the same old Maks and lacks some tact.  Like he tweeted yesterday that the he wants Meryl with Val.  Most pros have avoided saying their preference publicly and have just told fans to vote, even though I'm sure they all have a desired outcome in mind.  Maks just put it out there.

I don't see why people think it's bad form for the pros or celebs voicing their thoughts on who they want for the switch. They stated that everyone must switch, so it isn't like they have the option of keeping their partner and voicing an opinion on the switch means they're saying they don't want their partner, and it isn't like we don't see celebrities who go into it saying they want a specific pro before they find out their partner. It isn't the celeb or pro saying "I hate this person, I wish I were paired with this person." It's the show saying "You're switching parnters, deal with it." and people trying to leverage that to their benefit.

I don't see a problem with Maks encouraging people to vote for the pairing he thinks best for his partner or Cody suggesting that people vote for him with Sharna. Meryl retweeted Maks' tweet and while Danica hasn't directly said it, it seems she'd like to be paired with Maks for the switch or is at least engaging with fans who want to see a direct swap on Val and Maks' partners. Maybe it's just the fact that it seems like they haven't even explained the rules of the switch to the people involved is fishy, but I can't muster the energy to feel like there's anything dishonorable about voicing a preference here. 

Since I mentioned the Maks tweet, I realized Derek also put a plug in for Amy getting Mark in his blog too.  So the pros are starting to put it out there.  I tend to to take some issue with Maks wording, but I also realize that that the main reason Maks wants to keep it in the family is he probably figures he has a better chance of getting Meryl back if he and Val get to switch partners.  He's probably worried that if Derek gets her, he might not get her back.   Wish I can't really blame him for that.

It's funny because the voting on the female pro/male celeb side is pretty straightforward.   It's likely going to stay the way the votes have gone so far.  it's looking like Cheryl will likely get Charlie and poor Sharna will be relegated to Billy Dee if he's still there, which isn't surprising since Cheryl probably has the biggest fanbase of the female pros that are still on the show.  It's really only the Maks/Val vs Derek/Mark where there is a showdown happening amongst fandoms and it is likely to get a tad ugly. 

7. How does The Switch Up voting work? I really want to see my favorite Star with a new Pro!

The vote will take place via Twitter, so you’ll need a Twitter account to vote on the new pairs. You can pick your dream combo by voting at the The Switch Up page on ABC.com, or you can follow the guidelines for valid tweets found below. (The voting module on The Switch Up page on ABC.com will generate a valid tweet for you.)

And you can vote as often as you’d like until voting closes at 11:59pm PT on MONDAY, MARCH 31.

To be valid, each Twitter vote must contain three consecutive parts:

The hashtag of "#DWTS"

The Star's first name

The Pro's first name. The Pro of the opposite gender who has not been eliminated yet. That Pro must also not be that celebrity’s original partner.

For example, #DWTS Amy Derek won’t count, because they’re already partners. In addition, #DWTS Sean Peta won’t count, because Sean Avery has already been eliminated. Ditto for #DWTS Danica Henry, because Henry Byalikov was eliminated with Diana Nyad, so he’s out of the running, too. 

In calculating votes, we’ll consider any tweets that contain the three parts listed above (they must be adjacent without other words in between, though spaces are fine). Your tweet can be all about the sandwich you just ate so long as it still has the three required elements in consecutive order (as listed above). And since some Stars and Pros have nicknames, we'll try to anticipate potential variations you might use in your tweets so we can be sure to count those votes, too.

Please note that the voting module on The Switch Up page on ABC.com may not work in some older browsers. If you have any issues, you can go directly to Twitter and tweet your vote there.

So how will the votes determine who gets paired with whom?

After voting ends at 11:59pm PT on MONDAY, MARCH 31, we’ll rank the Stars based on the total number of valid votes they received from Twitter and from The Switch Up vote page at ABC.com -- regardless of which professional partners the celebrity is paired with in those tweets. So, the Star named in the most Switch Up tweets during the voting period will get switched up first.

That Star will then be paired with the Pro of the opposite gender who was named most often in all eligible tweets for that celebrity (so long as they haven’t been eliminated and aren’t already partners with that person).

So for example, Star A is named in 20,000 total tweets, which ends up being the highest number of cumulative votes received for all celebrities. Of those 20,000 total tweets/votes, Star A is paired with Pro  1 in 6,000 of the same tweets/votes, with Pro 2 in 10,000 of the same tweets/votes and with Pro 3 in 4,000 of the same tweets/votes.  In this example, Star A will be paired with Pro 2 since Pro 2 was named most often as the potential partner for Star A across all votes in which Star A was named.

We’ll do the same thing to switch the partner for the next highest-ranking Star, and so on. Once a Pro has been paired with a new Star partner, that Pro is no longer available to be paired with any other Star.  If the Pro who was named most often in all eligible tweets for a particular Star is no longer available, that Star will then be paired with the Pro who was the second-most named partner in all eligible tweets with that Star, and so on based on availability.

If it turns out that the only Pro left to be assigned to a given Star is their original partner, we reserve the right to assign that Star the most recently “switched” Pro to make sure everyone gets to switch for Week 4.  We’ll also use our discretion to break any ties.

I'd like Val with Amy. I've bought into the show narrative; I believe Val is the only non-Derek pro astute enough to manage her pressure, stability, and balance issues, while capitalizing on her musicality, showmanship and hip action. I'd like Charlie with Meryl, because I like Charlie/Sharna, and believe Charlie/Cheryl would be the least disruptive. Would he even notice he's switched partners, the two of them so similar in personality, teaching style, and approach to choreography? As for Meryl Davis, I'm not a fan, but I think Mark Ballas is her best bet. Maks is traditional. Mark is more "creative" which is an approach I think MD needs if she's going to bust out from the pack.

Has anyone formally announced how the switchBACK works? Im still murky on that portion of the hotmess.

I haven't seen anything on how that works. I know initially what I read was that the switch would last at least one week and that was all was said on the topic. Then I've seen a variety of different things from fans voting to celebs choosing to just a straight switch back. I'm kind of guessing that nothing has been said because TPTB don't know yet.

Zendaya threw her support behind a Chmerkovskiy switch the other day, so that adds over 4 million potential voters for that. I wonder if enough of them mobilize to offset the devoted Hough fanbase. I wonder if that also means some of those people will vote for Derek and NeNe... He doesn't grate the way he used to for me, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see him with her.

Zendaya threw her support behind a Chmerkovskiy switch the other day, so that adds over 4 million potential voters for that. I wonder if enough of them mobilize to offset the devoted Hough fanbase. I wonder if that also means some of those people will vote for Derek and NeNe... He doesn't grate the way he used to for me, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see him with her.

It would really be something if EVERY twitter subscriber translated to reality show voters, wouldn't it?  

It would really be something if EVERY twitter subscriber translated to reality show voters, wouldn't it?

On the flip side, im a watcher of the show, but dont do twitter. Whereas, if Zendaya, or anyone of these "celebrities" for that matter twittered out something saying , " Hey, go tweet this hash tag for me...", it wouldn't be too hard for SOME of her 4 million followers to do so. Ya know? Whereas myself, im not going through all the hassle of creating an account just for some gimmick that i find annoying.
  • Love 1

On the flip side, im a watcher of the show, but dont do twitter. Whereas, if Zendaya, or anyone of these "celebrities" for that matter twittered out something saying , " Hey, go tweet this hash tag for me...", it wouldn't be too hard for SOME of her 4 million followers to do so. Ya know? Whereas myself, im not going through all the hassle of creating an account just for some gimmick that i find annoying.

That was more my thought process. Not so much that her fanbase would be voting consistently through the competition, but rather that if she's drawing attention to it then at least a portion of those fans are going to mobilize to vote a few times. What percentage, how frequently, and whether it's enough to outnumber the Hough fans (who from everything I can tell are highly organized and highly motivated) remains to be seen. Same thing goes for Cody Simpson's followers. Even if they aren't watching the show, there's a fairly captive audience who have the time to tweet those things. I don't know if Zendaya or Cody do it, but I know that there are other celebrities who will go through and follow a few people who post certain hashtags or whatever. Once word of that starts spreading, more people start tweeting thinking that it'll increase their chances of having a celebrity follow them. And I don't know what her twitter follower count is in relation to what it was then or how having two/three additional fanbases voting will impact it.

Edited by Flick
(edited)
I will be one happy, snarky poster if that ends up happening!  I actually would really like to see what Derek could do with Nene.

And if he makes Nene look decent, then what does that mean?

And I don't know what Maks is worried about.  He and his brother got the ringers this season.  Plus, they're getting extra votes because their shortened and longer names are being counted.  Then, Zendaya decided to throw her little opinion out there and her little minions do whatever the hell she says.  So, Maks is fine.  He has nothing to worry about.

For the switch - I would rather just see them pick names out of a bowl rather than the stupid twitter voting.

I would have liked that, too.  That would have been better and more exciting than all this nonsense with twitter and the various fanbases.

Edited by superdeluxe

And if he makes Nene look decent, then what does that mean?

I actually think Derek could do a great job with Nene - she can move and I think she has a lot of potential.  It frustrates me that he almost always gets front-runners, because I think he is very talented and could take a star who starts at a lower level on an incredible imprevement arc.*  I actually think it would be great for his image to get an older partner (like the ones Tristan/Jonathan would get) so he could be gallant and respectful to a legend for a season - I'm sure he has it in him, he just doesn't get those partners.  I think those two partnerships (Derek/Nene and Peta/BillyDee) would be humerous only because I can't imagine TPTB ever pairing them up on purpose, that's all.  The thought behind my comment was how the show just has their story lines and seems to know the roles that they want each of the pros to fill.  Peta has been cast in the role of the sex-crazed showmance pro, and that role would be hard for her to play when her partner's bringing his grandkids up on the stage.  That's all.

* I consider this year one of the exceptions.  Amy is an incredible dancer, but I don't think anyone could have known how she would do until she started, and I don't see how anyone could claim that a woman with 2 prosthetic legs is a ringer.

That was more my thought process. Not so much that her fanbase would be voting consistently through the competition, but rather that if she's drawing attention to it then at least a portion of those fans are going to mobilize to vote a few times. What percentage, how frequently, and whether it's enough to outnumber the Hough fans (who from everything I can tell are highly organized and highly motivated) remains to be seen. Same thing goes for Cody Simpson's followers. Even if they aren't watching the show, there's a fairly captive audience who have the time to tweet those things. I don't know if Zendaya or Cody do it, but I know that there are other celebrities who will go through and follow a few people who post certain hashtags or whatever. Once word of that starts spreading, more people start tweeting thinking that it'll increase their chances of having a celebrity follow them. And I don't know what her twitter follower count is in relation to what it was then or how having two/three additional fanbases voting will impact it.

Obviously Cody's little stunt of tweeting for himself with Sharna, in hopes that his fans would follow, didnt work out for him so far. If i heard correctly, before the show went off the air, he was currently paired with Peta. Now, if Witney gets James, i call shenanigans. The two TPTB had in a "rivalry" switching pros? Yeah, right. I doubt Cody's little minions wouldn't NOT vote for him to be switched with who he wanted.

Curious why Cheryl/Charlie seemed to be the most popular Charlie or Cheryl-related partner switch tweet for either of them. Cheryl's my favorite, but I'm usually out of synch with voting trends. There are votes for other combinations, such as Charlie/Emma, but it sure looks to be trending Charlie/Cheryl overall. I didn't vote but if I did, I'd probably have done the C&C too, just for continuity's sake. Cheryl is most like Sharna in her personality, teaching style and choreographic approach. As dancers she and Sharna both really into the floor and spin the same way.

Aw, I didn't know that about the new band not being union. Boo, DWTS. (I actually like the new band better, though! At least the vocalists seem to be an improvement to me.)

I also feel like Cheryl/Sharna are a bit similar energies so I was hoping Charlie would be with someone else. I'd have liked to see him with Emma, but I guess that was never going to happen anyway.

Apparently for the lady celebs, the top vote getters are Meryl/Derek and Amy/Mark... but there's disagreement about the rest. I'm seeing predictions for both Nene/Maks and Danica/Maks with different sets of fans insisting their predictions are correct. If Danica/Maks wins out, then the other pairings will be Nene/Val and Candace/Tony. If it's Nene/Maks, then I guess it will be Danica/Tony and Candace/Val. 

Missing the band this season--I work for unions, so I was sad when they went to a non-union band

This is misinformation.  You can enjoy the show fully, as a loyal union member.

Ray Chew is a union member for 40 years, the band is a union band.  Here's his page at American Federation of Musicians http://www.afm.org/im/ray-chew

When Harold Wheeler and the band were fired, it was reported the show would be going to recorded music.  The musicians union protested against the loss of union musician jobs.  Within a couple of weeks, DWTS announced it had hired Ray Chew and the band. No further protests have been heard from the union.

Which begs the question of why Ray Chew is considered better than Harold (both are highly regarded professionals), why would they fire one and hire the other, but the show didn't bust a union in any way.

I was reading on another forum that one of the troupe tweeted the partner switch twitter voting was all for naught. The show is going to put the couples together without considering the vote.

Good luck spinning that one, if true. I'm a little surprised a member of the cast would put that out there. Doesn't seem like something that would please the bosses.

It was actually the Afterbuzz DWTS host who tweeted that. Not sure where she got her info from.

I have read a lot of doubts that Derek would be able to follow Meryl on her Stars on Ice tour even if he was matched with her. He appears to have won that vote, and I wouldn't be surprised if the producers were unable to pair them because of Derek's L.A. obligations and all of the stuff he is working on there (Macy's dances, his tour, his movie promotion, etc). Perhaps the pairings got screwed up because of that.

However, Cheryl clearly won the Charlie vote, and supposedly she was spotted outside the studio yesterday (Meryl and Charlie already flew to Florida), so... that's weird. 

Please help me find a new name for this topic! I have moved posts just chatting about the show out of Small Talk and into this topic. So continue chatting! 

I love 'General Gabbery"  !  It reminds me of TWoP and I vote to keep it.   RIP TWoP. ::sniff::

• Love 7

Please help me find a new name for this topic! I have moved posts just chatting about the show out of Small Talk and into this topic. So continue chatting! 

If TWOP doesn't mind, makes sense to keep the name since everyone already knows what goes here.

• Love 1

I posted this in another area (sorry) but regarding the switch: Val and Peta have been seen in FL so are probably there with Meryl and Charlie. Yesterday, Tony posted an Instagram that pictured himself, Maks and Derek. Also Candace, Danica and NeNe. Those six are likely partnered which means that NeNe is either dancing with Maks- or Derek.