Type keyword(s) to search

General Gabbery: DWTS

• Start Topic

On 8/3/2020 at 2:08 AM, vdw84 said:

It shouldnt be enough for you and I never said it should but as me being black woman I am only coming a place where I would like to see us represented on the female side. People get mad when black people protest for equality but close mouths do not get fed. Other minority groups can do the same thing but they choose to stay quiet and that is not on us but on them. Like I said dwts should have been diversified their pros.

I was making a point: Issues of diversity and representation on DWTS are bigger than any one pro. I can't speak for all Hispanic fans, just myself. Personally,, I look at the numbers to make the case.

Based on U.S. demographics, we should expect 5-6 pros of color among 14 pros (2-3 Hispanic, 2 Black, 1 Asian/Indigenous on average}. Given that the ballroom world skews European, 4-6 pros of color (Hispanic, Black, and Asian/Indigenous inclusive) out of 14 pros might be a reasonable target. Hispanics are currently the most under-represented group on DWTS. However, thanks partly to the burgeoning Miami scene,  Hispanic/LatinX ballroom trained dancers are gaining visibility in the U.S.. Eventually, they will be part of DWTS, with or without campaigning.

On 8/4/2020 at 11:06 AM, friendperidot said:

shoot, I don't care what ethnicity the dancers are, as long as they can work with and teach their partners and not be "me, Me, ME!" As an old woman, I'd like to see older dancers really get a fair chance. There are videos on YouTube of several older couples and they really can cut a rug. So what if they are bringing the sexy. Dancing isn't necessarily about bringing the sexy, if that's all the dancer is doing, maybe they should be on a pole at a strip club.

Well, old people can be sexy as well. I would swoon if they had Sean Connery or Patrick Stewart on the show. LOL

• Love 3
On 8/5/2020 at 4:02 PM, vdw84 said:

Its alot of black ballroom dancers out there that do not get the spot light and given the opportunities. I know several personally right now that can dance their butts off and should be out there professionally dancing. It lot of them cant continue the dancing because its extremely expensive as well. Im talking about 1000s of dollars a month for classes, that is why alot of these ballroom dancers already come in with money because u have to have money to pursue a ballroom dance career atleast on a national basis.

I just think its ridiculous to not have a diverse group of dancers on a show that has alot of cultural dances. They need more hispanic, black, asian and so on to represent.

This is true. I had no idea how expensive ballroom dance classes were until I looked into them. I mostly take group salsa and tango classes because schools specifically designed to create ballroom dancers cost an arm and a leg. 

• Love 1
On 8/10/2020 at 2:25 AM, RealHousewife said:

This is true. I had no idea how expensive ballroom dance classes were until I looked into them. I mostly take group salsa and tango classes because schools specifically designed to create ballroom dancers cost an arm and a leg. 

One of dear friends daughters, is a salsa dancer  and she is damn good. She was wanting to take ballroom classes to increase her craft but its too expensive. 

• Love 3
On 8/12/2020 at 6:21 PM, vdw84 said:

One of dear friends daughters, is a salsa dancer  and she is damn good. She was wanting to take ballroom classes to increase her craft but its too expensive. 

Sadly, a lot of other dance styles are also expensive.  If you want to be a really good ballet dancer, you need to go to an excellent ballet academy and then go to professional company summer intensives.  Then you find yourself having to buy pointe shoes every month or even less time.  You can't just take ballet at your local competition studio.  Although, the competition studios are also expensive with all their competition, costume, and tour fees.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, realdancemom said:

Sadly, a lot of other dance styles are also expensive.  If you want to be a really good ballet dancer, you need to go to an excellent ballet academy and then go to professional company summer intensives.  Then you find yourself having to buy pointe shoes every month or even less time.  You can't just take ballet at your local competition studio.  Although, the competition studios are also expensive with all their competition, costume, and tour fees.

Being classically trained in anything dealing with the arts is going to be expensive. If u want to be fully trained, u will be out of some money.

• Love 5

This show just grows more and more offensive every day. First Tom and Erin are unceremoniously fired. Then Tyra Banks is allowed to bring her crude brand of cable reality tawdriness to what was once a family show. And now . . . Carole Baskin?

I was willing to give the show a chance, but that trailer was just beyond ludicrous. I don’t know what the new demographic is supposed to be, but it’s certainly not loyal viewers. Goodbye DWTS. 

Edited by ChiefWiggum9-1-2
  • Love 13
5 minutes ago, ChiefWiggum9-1-2 said:

This show just grows more and more offensive every day. First Tom and Erin are unceremoniously fired. Then Tyra Banks is allowed to bring her crude brand of cable reality tawdriness to what was once a family show. And now . . . Carole Baskin?

I was willing to give the show a chance, but that trailer was just beyond ludicrous. I don’t know what the new demographic is supposed to be, but it’s certainly not loyal viewers. Goodbye DWTS. 

I guess they gave up on younger viewers, because the average age of these folks must be 50. I'm that age, but I don't watch Netflix, so I don't know who any of these people are. I know Baskin was on that Tiger King show, but I didn't watch it. I've seen pictures of her, though. She sure doesn't look like she's in any shape for this show.

• Love 3

I was looking up some of these people and that Nev Schulman guy studied dance in college. He also got accused of sexual assault. Ugh, they just can't stay away from criminals, can they? You would think by now, they could run a background check on their contestants.

Hey 6ix9ine is available, isn't he? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ChiefWiggum9-1-2 said:

I'm with you.  I've even taken my daughters to the DWTS tour the last two years.  I'd probably watch this season if it was Tom (w/ or w/o Erin) and this cast of characters, or if it was Tyra plus a cast of "stars" (heh) that I was somewhat interested in, but the combination of Tyra and this cast does nothing for me.  I'd literally be watching only for the pros and that's not enough of a draw for me.  

Edited by MMLEsq
  • Love 4
On 9/2/2020 at 1:38 PM, boyznkatz said:

I was looking up some of these people and that Nev Schulman guy studied dance in college. He also got accused of sexual assault. Ugh, they just can't stay away from criminals, can they? You would think by now, they could run a background check on their contestants.

Hey 6ix9ine is available, isn't he? 

The obviously love the controversy. Im just glad its no politicians. Politics and dance does not mix for this show, so stay out and I mean that from all parties.

• Love 3
On 9/2/2020 at 1:33 PM, boyznkatz said:

I actually liked Anne Heche as an actor when she was relevant 30 years ago, but she's all weird now and looks 20 years older than she actually is. I agree that her and Carole Baskins will be the first to go. 

If it's a public vote I imagine two total nutters, one of them a possible murderer, might be near the top to go.  But we have to consider how they dance too, and I'm seeing Charles Oakley as the possible worst dancer. 

12 minutes ago, Kromm said:

If it's a public vote I imagine two total nutters, one of them a possible murderer, might be near the top to go.  But we have to consider how they dance too, and I'm seeing Charles Oakley as the possible worst dancer. 

I could see Baskins having some nutty fans who keep her in, like Tonya Harding. I haven't seen Oakley dance, but basketball players have historically been way too tall to look graceful.

1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

I could see Baskins having some nutty fans who keep her in, like Tonya Harding. I haven't seen Oakley dance, but basketball players have historically been way too tall to look graceful.

Yeah, the only basketball player I can think did somewhat well was Red Fox back in season 11. He didnt look bad like alot of them do but yeah basketball players dont do well because of their height.

4 minutes ago, vdw84 said:

Yeah, the only basketball player I can think did somewhat well was Red Fox back in season 11. He didnt look bad like alot of them do but yeah basketball players dont do well because of their height.

Yes, Rick Fox wasn't bad.  I'm surprised he was paired with Cheryl since she isn't one of the taller female pros.  Fox is tall at 6' 7" but Kareem was really tall at 7'2".  I still laugh at his salsa dance with Lindsay and Hayley.  They need taller female pros in order for the male basketball players to look good.

4 hours ago, realdancemom said:

Yes, Rick Fox wasn't bad.  I'm surprised he was paired with Cheryl since she isn't one of the taller female pros.  Fox is tall at 6' 7" but Kareem was really tall at 7'2".  I still laugh at his salsa dance with Lindsay and Hayley.  They need taller female pros in order for the male basketball players to look good.

I think Kym was the only female pro I can think of that was super tall. I think next is Emma and Britt who is new this season.

My predictions as to the pairings (mind you, I have found absolutely no clues as to who is following who on social media):

Skai Jackson and Justina Machado are the shortest female celebs, at 5'2" and 5'1" respectively, so I think they will be paired up with Sasha and Pasha in some order. 

Monica Aldama is the tallest female (5'8") so it's unlikely she'll be paired with Artem, who is 5'10". Most of the other male pros who are 6' or taller (i.e., Keo, Brandon, Gleb, Val, and Alan) are fair game, but she's one of the older celebs (age 50) so based on history, I'm leaning toward Keo, Gleb, or Val. Carole and Anne could get either one of the other two, although Artem is a possibility.  

That leaves Kaitlyn, Jeannie, and Chrishell for the female celebs (30s/early 40s). I could see them trying to pair Kaitlyn with Alan since he has had a Bachelorette pairing before. Perhaps Jeannie with Brandon, and Chrishell with Artem. 

For the male celebs:

Obviously Charles Oakley is the tallest at 6'8", although Vernon Davis is pretty tall (6'3") as well. Nev Schulman is 6'1". I'm thinking they will be paired with either Britt Stewart, Peta, or Daniella, in some order.

The rest of the male celebs (AJ, Jesse Metcalfe, Nelly, and Johnny Weir) are all between 5'8" and 5'10", so they will likely be paired up with Sharna, Jenna, Emma, and Cheryl, in some order. I can see Johnny being paired with Jenna because she's been paired with at least two gay celebs before. 

• Love 3

Has the show even tried to explain the COVID-rules? They don't make much sense to me, to be honest. We've got the social distancing at the extended judges panel desk, no audience or celebrequarium or group dances or pro numbers, the couples are standing six apart from Tyra post-dance when they get their scores, and each dancer got their own bubble/square to hang out in when watching the other dances. But the pros and their celeb are, obviously, up close and personal during the dancing.

Cheryl mentioned in an article that the DWTS pros that are married to each other (Pasha/Daniella, Sasha/Emma, and Val/Jenna) can't live together, but all the other pros can live in their homes. Peta can go home to Maks, Cheryl can go to her husband, etc. I don't understand the reasoning. Is DWTS springing for three hotel rooms for one person from each married couple? Say Jenna is eliminated the first week and Val sticks around until the semifinals, is Jenna stuck in a hotel room for two or three months or can she go home?

I hope Johnny Weir doesn't turn out to be a surprise elimination. The judges lowballed him and he isn't enough of a criminal for them to keep around. I wonder how many people they are going to sacrifice to keep Carole Baskins around?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

I hope Johnny Weir doesn't turn out to be a surprise elimination. The judges lowballed him and he isn't enough of a criminal for them to keep around. I wonder how many people they are going to sacrifice to keep Carole Baskins around?

I agree and after Carrieanne made subtle dig at Britt sayin she was Lost, Im glad Johnny got her ass in check for that comment. She is such a hater. Why did Tom have to go when they could have got rid of Carrieanne.

14 hours ago, vdw84 said:

I agree and after Carrieanne made subtle dig at Britt sayin she was Lost, Im glad Johnny got her ass in check for that comment. She is such a hater. Why did Tom have to go when they could have got rid of Carrieanne.

Agreed, she should have gone, not Len. Her ass knows nothing about ballroom dancing and it's obvious she's jealous of anyone younger than her.

7 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Agreed, she should have gone, not Len. Her ass knows nothing about ballroom dancing and it's obvious she's jealous of anyone younger than her.

Carrieanne is awful, she is. She is very bitter and jealous woman and she wears it well. I think she needs be replaced. Derek and Bruno can stay and add a new woman judge. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, vdw84 said:

Carrieanne is awful, she is. She is very bitter and jealous woman and she wears it well. I think she needs be replaced. Derek and Bruno can stay and add a new woman judge. 

I would like to see Shirley Ballas. Or maybe one of the old pros like Karina or Anna. Any of them would be better than the bitter witch.

Len is rude as well, but at least he knows his stuff and he's funny. Derek is boring, but at least he also knows his stuff and he hasn't been as annoying as a judge.

I am not going to be watching full episodes this season.  I watched a little between my fingers and Tyra's hosting is just not for me.  That said, as much of a naysayer as I've been, I think it is only sporting to say that I appreciate the return to simple "one couple dancing together" routines.  The escalating production values were a turnoff to me.  Now if only each dance could get about a half a minute more, as they all had in the old days.  My goodness, the "old days" don't go back beyond 2005, I need to stop dating myself.

Generally speaking, and directed at no one in particular, I cannot bear the general applause for Nev while Carole is raked over the coals.  I don't particularly like either person, but as I've said before, Carole has been "convicted" of her crime by media intrigue via abject trash TV.  Joe is the high-profile proven criminal on "Tiger King."  Nev, meanwhile, admits to having been thrown out of college (as a dance major!) for physical assault.  I think his show is just as greasy as Carole's too.  Neither of them can go soon enough for me.

Finally, Justina is one of the contestants for whom I was most excited, but I thought she might not be long for the ballroom.  I am delighted that she is excelling and will be tickled pink as long as she keeps going.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Generally speaking, and directed at no one in particular, I cannot bear the general applause for Nev while Carole is raked over the coals.  I don't particularly like either person, but as I've said before, Carole has been "convicted" of her crime by media intrigue via abject trash TV.  Joe is the high-profile proven criminal on "Tiger King."  Nev, meanwhile, admits to having been thrown out of college (as a dance major!) for physical assault.  I think his show is just as greasy as Carole's too.  Neither of them can go soon enough for me.

Agreed. I don't like Nev either, but he can dance and I do like watching his routines. Carole, on the other hand, is horrible and her cheesy cat routines aren't cute or funny.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Why do you think it's wrong for there to be general applause for a good dancer?  How long ago was that Nev was college?  Getting thrown out of college for physical assault is equal to being accused of being part of murder? Maybe.I don't know that she did anything; I just don't see them as equivalent villains. But I don't really know anything about either of their TV shows. I just know what I like in dancing.  I like to watch Nev dance.  I am not looking forward to his illumination I think he might be good in a final with a freestyle. Carole not so much.

Edited by Kira53
I don't remember to proofread.
5 hours ago, Kira53 said:

Why do you think it's wrong for there to be general applause for a good dancer?  How long ago was that Nev was college?  Getting thrown out of college for physical assault is equal to being accused of being part of murder? Maybe.I don't know that she did anything; I just don't see them as equivalent villains. But I don't really know anything about either of their TV shows. I just know what I like in dancing.  I like to watch Nev dance.  I am not looking forward to his illumination I think he might be good in a final with a freestyle. Carole not so much.

I did not say that those who enjoy Nev's dancing are wrong.  I said that I feel there is something of a double standard applied between Nev and Carole.  I am tired of reading about how Carole is bringing the calibre of the show down when I think the entertainment products with which Nev is associated are just as lowbrow and unproductive.  And, between them, he's the one proven to have done something for which a person could go to jail, not her.

If you want to know the truth, given the choice between "I punched a woman repeatedly in the head and my excuse is that I thought she was a man" and "I dress and speak kinda wacky and a bunch of bored people watching a miniseries thought I was kind of a ballbuster, so the world has decided to label me a murderer as if the authorities haven't investigated that possibility to no effect multiple times," I know who I think is the bigger chump.  I don't even need to consider how long it's been since an action for which Nev has not to my knowledge apologized to know that.

I agree his dancing is good.  It should be, since he studied it.  I don't like him personally at all: I find him unctuous and self-impressed beyond all reason.  But others think he's great and that's fine.  How boring it would be if we all had the same opinion.  It seems we can agree on being glad that Carole is gone.  So, good. 🙂

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

Are those two really the bottom two in scores/votes, or can the judges put anyone they want in jeopardy?

Yes, they are.  Standards & Practices would insist upon it.

Edited by 853fisher
sorry, truncated quote
  • Useful 2
24 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

Okay, thanks.

So they couldn't have gotten rid of Bones anyway.

You're right because I don't believe Bones was ever in the bottom two.  I thought I read somewhere that Bones had so many votes that even if the judges gave really low scores on his freestyle, he still would have won.

• Useful 2
23 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

I dont think that applies here since there is no prize involved as there is with some reality shows.

I agree that it doesn't apply in that way, but I think the invitation to vote obliges them to present the result honestly.  I know there is no charge from ABC to vote, but a viewer might pay for a text, say.

Aside from any legal obligations, about which I am not fully knowledgeable, I still think S&P would frown upon presenting a false result.  It would be a PR problem for the network if it could ever be shown that the genuine result was ignored.

Perhaps I'm being naive, but I trust that what they say happened happened.

Interesting to note that Battle of the Blades which is sfaik the only Canadian equiv to DWTS, has done something very clever with the absent-due-toCovid audience.  On BOTB, their 'dance' teams are a professional hockey player paired with a figure skater and the prizes are money that go to each contestant's favourite charity  On the first night, I actually said out loud, "Oh they've copied DWTS" because they didn't have an audience but I could had a cheering section.

BUT, as the show has gone on (not sure I've seen it every week), they have put up screens where the live audience usually is (in the stands) and they televise AND give shout outs to watching clubs who inhabit the screens with their homemade signs and are jumping up and down and yelling.  Some of the watching club are friends and families of the contestants, but other fan clubs have applied and I think tonight they had reps from one of the charities.

It's good on many levels, but it's especially nice to see real live people jumping up and down for the person they support (big white screens on a very black background so everybody wears super-colourful clothes and waves super-colourful signs) and they feature one or two screens as they go to commercial break and stuff like that - say who they're rooting for, who they are (like friends or fans or whatever) and where they're from.  It's quite clever really.  Maybe other shows are doing it too but I'm not a big watcher of any competitive reality that don't involve dancing, and I really think it's well done in a pinch.

• Love 4
On 9/29/2020 at 1:49 PM, MsJamieDornan said:

I dont think that applies here since there is no prize involved as there is with some reality shows.

Hey, there's a prize!  Have you forgotten about that swanky mirrorball??

Seriously, though, they get paid a weekly amount and the longer they stay the more money they get so that's kind of like a prize, isn't it?  If it was for charity like some celebrities on shows, then that would be different.

Edited by Sile
  • Useful 1

So I have not watched the show but had to come here to share something I thought was kinda funny: Criatián De La Fuente, who was in season 6 with Cheryl is—get this—a judge on a dancing show. It is a show in Spanish, called Así se baila:and presume his qualifications are solely based on his dwts experience.

• Useful 3

Is anyone else bored of these dumb themes? I love Queen, but I got tired of hearing their music halfway through, and those dances were cringey because they didn't go with the songs.  Grease Night was the dumbest of all. They should have just had something more general like musicals.

Hey TPTB, if you read these boards, go back to only a couple of themes per season, like Latin Night and Classical Night.

Oh yeah, and fire Tyra and bring back Tom.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Is anyone else bored of these dumb themes? I love Queen, but I got tired of hearing their music halfway through, and those dances were cringey because they didn't go with the songs.  Grease Night was the dumbest of all. They should have just had something more general like musicals.

Hey TPTB, if you read these boards, go back to only a couple of themes per season, like Latin Night and Classical Night.

Oh yeah, and fire Tyra and bring back Tom.

Agree, they're going overboard with the theme nights. Next week is Janet Jackson night? Seriously? Not looking forward to next weeks episode. 

Tyra Banks is an awful host. The constant costume changes, strutting down the stage very week. This isn't a modeling show. 

• Love 3