Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: The Swedes

• Start Topic

In an attempt to solve an international case, Jake and Rosa are forced to work with a pair of Swedish cops and things get very competitive, very quickly. Meanwhile, Amy and Terry offer to help Gina prepare for a big test and Holt enlists Charles to sub in as his squash partner for an annual tournament.

Of course Scully & Hitchcock would dress up fancy for the opening of a vending machine.

Holt and Kevin are not fond of Ratatouille. Somehow I love that Kevin thinks it's too far-fetched.

Loved Neil deGrasse-Tyson's cameo. Of course he somehow lifts more than Terry.

So...Rosa and Marcus are done. you know, Marcus wasn't even in this episode yet he had the same amount of impact to it if he was.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 2

They really need to have Kevin on more.  The way he says his lines is fantastic.

Except the word "mag-nifique."

I enjoyed this episode a lot. Three well-balanced plots, good moments in all of them. My favorite was Amy's mnemonic paragraph for the moons of Jupiter that even she had trouble remembering after a while.

• Love 5

Except the word "mag-nifique."

I enjoyed this episode a lot. Three well-balanced plots, good moments in all of them. My favorite was Amy's mnemonic paragraph for the moons of Jupiter that even she had trouble remembering after a while.

As much as I loved that, I can only imagine Andre Braugher pulling that off as smoothly as he did with that long url a few weeks back.

Oh, and if you love Marc Evan Jackson, check out the Thrilling Adventure Hour, he stars in the Sparks Nevada segments. There's a lot of those episodes and he's great in all of them.

• Love 1

I think it might be easier to memorize the actual moons of Jupiter than Amy's mnemonic, which was hilariously complicated. 

This was a fun episode, even if for me, it stated late. Luckily I realized it in time to record Family Guy also, or I would have missed the last half of the show!

Love Jake and Rosa's "friendship." It's great that Jake is maturing, realizing that friends do actually talk to each other sometimes. Not to mention wanted to get Amy a gift for their 6 month anniversary. Rosa, OTOH, still has a way to go, given that it took her 4 shots just to be able to spit out the name, "Tom." But, our little boy is growing up!

Loved Raymond, "unleashing Charles' beast" in order to win the tournament. They didn't seem to be all that upset about being banned for life. Some things are just worth it, ya know? 

Edited by Jodithgrace
  • Love 3

Boyle went to Sarah Lawrence. Also, I knew Holt would prefer him as The Beast. His suggestion that Jake "put a baby in her" was pretty disturbing, though not as much as Rosa going along with it. When Jake seems like the mature and rational person in the group, you have to wonder what's going on.

I still don't like Gina.

• Love 1

Loved the Neil deGrasse Tyson cameo and him and Terry going to the same gym, but I'm a little bummed he was mainly used for Gina's plot, because what I really wanted to see was him and Amy.  I have a feeling that Amy would have been a massive fan of his and I'm sad we didn't get to see them interacted.  At least there is always her mnemonic about Jupiter's moons.  She is just a dork.  An awesome, hilarious, hot dork.  Melissa Fumero continues to be one of my favorites.

Always glad to see more of the Jake/Rosa pairing, and I like the slow, but steady signs that their friendship is going to be fleshed out, with them being more open to discussing things that don't just pertain to work.  Again though, it's going to be a slow one, since Rosa still needs four shots to even tell Jake who her new boyfriend his.  Still, progress!  The Swedish cops were solid enough as antagonists, and are totally the type of people Jake and especially Rosa wouldn't be able to stand.  Not familiar with the guy, but totally enjoyed seeing Rikki Lindhome in this.  I've been seeing her in a lot of stuff this year.

Boyle "unleashing the beast" during squash was great, as was Holt's reactions to everything.  Always great to see Kevin and he had some great lines in this one.  Forget about Nick Offerman and his wooden duck, Holt!  You clearly found the better man with Kevin!

RIP, "Snacky Chan."

• Love 5

I didn't think the ep was as good as other ones. The cold open with the vending machine was disappointing. I'm not particularly a stickler on realism with sitcoms, but I figured someone would have worried that christening an electronic machine with a champagne bottle would have negative results.

There were a few things I liked. Rosa's mocking Swedish accent was great. Holt's face after Boyle slapped his butt made me laugh.

I liked Jake getting all grossed out by fish and... baby eels? I also liked when the woman Swede asked him if he'd like to do something, and he said with a big smile, "Would I LIKE to? I would HATE to!" Oh, and I liked that when Jake told Rosa a bee sting could kill him he actually sounded proud.

Ray refreshing Kevin's mind about Ratatouille by saying "The Rodent Chef" -- and with subtle disdain -- was pretty great.

But I think my favorite part was that Ray and Kevin seem to enjoy flight duration talk. First Holt says to the Swedes, "It was a pleasure talking to you about the duration of your flight." Then Kevin, talking about his flight to Paris, adds, "It's a 7-hour flight." 

• Love 5

Not familiar with the guy, but totally enjoyed seeing Rikki Lindhome in this.

That was Anders Holm.  I always think of him from The Mindy Project (he played one of her boyfriends in about 10 or so episodes), but I just realized that he played the husband (to Anne Hathaway) in the movie The Intern.

• Love 1

I love everything about this show except Gina, but gods help me, I am even enjoying her this season. Well, okay, more than I usually enjoy her.

The only thing I didn't like was Ray and Kevin hating Ratatouille. It's one of my favourite all-time movies. Rodent Chef for the win!!!

• Love 1

Holt's and Kevin's dislike of Ratatouille cracked me up. Of course they would find it far-fetched.

Loved the pairing of Holt and Boyle. I feel like that's a combo we don't get to see very often, and it was great - Boyle being so competitive when it comes to squash was awesome. Him slapping Holt's butt made me laugh out loud.

My very favourite thing, though? Swedish lady cop's line about the languages Swedish people speak: "...But not Danish. That is a garbage language for garbage people." As a Swedish woman who speaks English, Spanish and a bit of Italian but hardly understands a word of Danish and is known to mock it, I totally loved that. (Her accent was mostly terrible, though. Sounded German more than anything.)

• Love 3

I'm with peeayebee on this episode. It had some good moments, but wasn't at the level this show could reach. I'm not surprised that Holt and Kevin play squash, nor that Boyle was The Beast of Squash at Sarah Lawrence. I was amused that they played squash with raquetball rackets.

I love NdeGT, but I can never forgive him for his role in demoting Pluto. Talk about ruining an astronomical mnemonic. Now I'll have to just keep Amy's one in mind the next time I'm asked to name all of Jupiter's moons.

• Love 1

But I think my favorite part was that Ray and Kevin seem to enjoy flight duration talk. First Holt says to the Swedes, "It was a pleasure talking to you about the duration of your flight." Then Kevin, talking about his flight to Paris, adds, "It's a 7-hour flight." 

Heh. Yep, I loved that as well. It must be so much fun as a writer to think of things that only Holt would find interesting.

• Love 1

I have to say, social media addict Gina not knowing what Star Wars is is probably one of the more far fetched things this show has asked me to believe. Maybe a few years ago, but it is EVERYWHERE now.

Other than that, another really good episode. Its always good to see Rikki Lindhome turn up, even if her character was pretty broad. I kind of wanted the Swedes to be angry, angsty Girl with a Dragon Tattoo style Swedes, instead of the over sharing snobby Swedes. 

We got Holt and Boyle AND Rosa and Jake? Score! Heres hoping Tom and Librarian is more interesting than Nick Cannon.  

"...interesting casting..." I love Kevin. I want him to come around more. 

• Love 2

The return of the vending machine! Briefly. Poor Snacky Chan.

I liked Rosa calling Jake her best friend. That was a sweet moment, even if it was couched in Rosa being her usual, closed off self. And I like her amused reactions to Jake, which look more like Stephanie Beatriz reacting, a lot of the time.

Jake reacting to the fish was excellent. "Ooh, something yucky touched me! Oh gross, gross, gross, gross!"

The Swedish cops were amusing, and I appreciated their inability to dance around the point. Hope no Danes were watching this episode. Although if they were, they'd probably appreciate the joke. The over-sharing in contrast to Jake and Rosa was fun, and I cracked up at the guy having his sperm ready in a tupperware container, to donate to her.

"I am allergic to dust."

"Everyone is. That's what sneezes are."

"You're what sneezes are!"

See, Rosa and Jake really are similar. That's totally an insult Jake would come up with.

Amy continues, as ever, to be adorable. "I'd love [the used textbooks]. It's never too late to teach yourself something new." You're right, Amy. You're right about everything. "I had eleven straight birthdays at the planetarium! That was also a brag." Loved her detailed drawing of the solar system, on the whiteboard.

Wasting Neil deGrasse Tyson on the still-vomitous Gina, after setting up Amy's interest in astronomy? Unforgiveable. And seriously? They dance around (literally) to help Gina with something because she had been to downright lazy and entitled to actually do it herself? Screw that shit. Stop wasting Amy on Gina storylines.

I like it when Kevin shows up, but since I started listening to The Thrilling Adventure Hour, I'm struggling to picture him as Sparks Nevada, and it distracted me a little. But the storyline with Holt and Boyle playing squash was tiresome.

Superfudge reference? Awesome.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 5

My very favourite thing, though? Swedish lady cop's line about the languages Swedish people speak: "...But not Danish. That is a garbage language for garbage people." As a Swedish woman who speaks English, Spanish and a bit of Italian but hardly understands a word of Danish and is known to mock it, I totally loved that. (Her accent was mostly terrible, though. Sounded German more than anything.)

Yes, I enjoyed that line too! Although my Danish friend said he can understand Swedish and other Scandinavian languages pretty well. But I don't know if that's just him or Danes in general.

Hope no Danes were watching this episode. Although if they were, they'd probably appreciate the joke.

I messaged my Danish friend as soon as the episode was over that he needs to watch immediately! He has said previously that Danes are always up for a joke, even when people confuse Sweden, Denmark, Norway, etc. And even if they are being made fun of.

• Love 4

Holt's and Kevin's dislike of Ratatouille cracked me up. Of course they would find it far-fetched.

Loved the pairing of Holt and Boyle. I feel like that's a combo we don't get to see very often, and it was great - Boyle being so competitive when it comes to squash was awesome. Him slapping Holt's butt made me laugh out loud.

(Schweedie:  My husband was Norwegian.  His Oslo cousin relentlessly mocked his "reserv-Dansk" accent, and I always got the feeling Danes were way down the scale compared to Swedes.  Although my husband's (Swedish) grandmother was known to talk about "Swedes, Norwegians, Danes, and foreigners," so at least Danes were not "utleninger.")

Loved the Swedes, loved the racquetball, loved Jake and Rosa.  Since Gina's job is to be loathsome, I even love her.  And Neil DeGrasse Tyson is always good. 

• Love 1

I didn't think the ep was as good as other ones. The cold open with the vending machine was disappointing. I'm not particularly a stickler on realism with sitcoms, but I figured someone would have worried that christening an electronic machine with a champagne bottle would have negative results.

There were a few things I liked. Rosa's mocking Swedish accent was great. Holt's face after Boyle slapped his butt made me laugh.

I liked Jake getting all grossed out by fish and... baby eels? I also liked when the woman Swede asked him if he'd like to do something, and he said with a big smile, "Would I LIKE to? I would HATE to!" Oh, and I liked that when Jake told Rosa a bee sting could kill him he actually sounded proud.

Ray refreshing Kevin's mind about Ratatouille by saying "The Rodent Chef" -- and with subtle disdain -- was pretty great.

It's nice to have a show where an episode is not as good as usual, but then you can still list quite a few things that were funny/great :)

I loved Holt and his interest in flight length. 

• Love 1

I died laughing when they started playing "Wild Side" during the squash game and Boyle slapping Captain Holt on the but, OMG!

I'm dissappointed that Holt didn't go into detail about how he found out Boyle's squash prowess - looking it up on www.sarahlawrence.edu/charlesboyle/activities/sports/squash/championship/TheBeast.html (because you know he would have to say the capital letters).

• Love 2

Oh Danish being a 'garbage language for garbage people' made me laugh. My mother's side of the family is Danish/Norwegian from South Dakota. When my grandmother's eldest sister married a boy from a Norwegian family it was considered a mixed marriage. And then my grandmother did the exact same thing! The Nordic countries do have an on-going 'feud' amongst themselves which the rest of the world tends to respond to with 'aren't they all the same?'

http://satwcomic.com/sweden-denmark-and-norway  <-- This comic is a great way to see the stereotypes play out.

As for the show, I was just thinking last week that I missed Kevin and wanted to see him again. Lo and behold, there he is! Sparks Nevada himself! Holt's reaction when Boyle slapped his ass was great.

But I really did love that Jake realized he had gotten to the point where he needed to be able to talk about more than cop stuff with his partner and friend. I am also fascinated with Rosa dating a librarian. My headcanon is that she's totally dating Jacob Stone from The Librarians (played by the rather delicious Christian Kane) and it pleases me to no end. The thing is, as much as Rosa fought against the whole 'sharing' thing and even slapped Jake down with a 'then maybe we aren't friends', she relented in the end and came through. That was nice to see.

Gina dissed Neil Degrasse Tyson? No. Unacceptable. I'm not fond of Gina anyway but shitting all over Amy and Terry being 'pathetic nerds' because they have degrees... ugh! NO!

• Love 3

Damned football game! I never thought to add recording time to my DVR for B99. Only recorded about half of it. Grrrrr.

I think it was bumped for the president's speech. I was waiting for it to come up on demand but it didn't so I broke down and purchased it on Xbox.

Edited by GussieK

Gina dissed Neil Degrasse Tyson? No. Unacceptable. I'm not fond of Gina anyway but shitting all over Amy and Terry being 'pathetic nerds' because they have degrees... ugh! NO!

This is a large part of why I don't like her. I think they try to make her some sort of 'everyman' figure, but she just comes across as 'lowest common denominator and proud of it' to me. Dismissive of intelligence and drive and anything that isn't about the coolest bit of celeb pop culture or the easiest shortcut for her. It's a mindset I find so utterly depressing and disheartening, yet this show seems to want me to find it charming. I can only assume this is informed by Peretti's real personality and act.

But they do also portray Amy's dorkiness as appealing and attractive, which I like. Even if Gina thinks she's a boring, plain, nerdy waste of space, at least the show never actually portrays her as that.

• Love 5

Oh Danish being a 'garbage language for garbage people' made me laugh. My mother's side of the family is Danish/Norwegian from South Dakota. When my grandmother's eldest sister married a boy from a Norwegian family it was considered a mixed marriage. And then my grandmother did the exact same thing! The Nordic countries do have an on-going 'feud' amongst themselves which the rest of the world tends to respond to with 'aren't they all the same?'

It also amuses me because I would've expected a joke of that sort to be about Norway. If there's one thing Swedes are fond of it's jokes about Norwegians.

But they do also portray Amy's dorkiness as appealing and attractive, which I like. Even if Gina thinks she's a boring, plain, nerdy waste of space, at least the show never actually portrays her as that.

That reminds me of another thing I really loved, as mentioned upthread - I giggled so hard when Amy said that she'd spent a whole bunch of birthdays at the planetarium, and then seeing Terry and Gina's reactions added the "...That was also a brag." Never change, Amy.

Edited by Schweedie
  • Love 3

This is a large part of why I don't like her. I think they try to make her some sort of 'everyman' figure, but she just comes across as 'lowest common denominator and proud of it' to me. Dismissive of intelligence and drive and anything that isn't about the coolest bit of celeb pop culture or the easiest shortcut for her. It's a mindset I find so utterly depressing and disheartening, yet this show seems to want me to find it charming. I can only assume this is informed by Peretti's real personality and act.

re: the "they try to make her some sort of 'everyman' figure" theory:

Huh?  I gotta ask where you're getting that impression from.  They're doing the exact opposite IMO. They are, always have, made Gina the freakiest freak who ever freaked in that place. Her statements about having less formal education (and thus not knowing something totally reasonable for ANYONE to know) or her not liking certain things aren't intended to make her identifiable with the audience, but rather to make her seem over-the-top weird with her selections of when and where she pulls that card (in situations where it doesn't really make sense). She's the Seinfeld Kramer character, the Office's Kevin, Boy Meets World's Eric, Rev. Jim on Taxi...  The OTT character who doesn't operate like normal humans. A cartoon character in human form. Not the everywoman. 

This is not any kind of argument intended to persuade you to like her any more than you do by the way. It's just that even if this is the first time I've seen it expressed as "everyman(woman)" , I have noticed over time that many of the people who hate the character most seem to take what the character says and does the most seriously/literally. 

Hitchcock and Scully are like that too (some shows have multiple characters like that, for example how Taxi had both Rev. Jim and Latka).

• Love 5

It's nice to have a show where an episode is not as good as usual, but then you can still list quite a few things that were funny/great :)

This is true. A disappointing ep of B99 is still better than an ep of many other shows.

• Love 1

re: the "they try to make her some sort of 'everyman' figure" theory:

Huh?  I gotta ask where you're getting that impression from.  They're doing the exact opposite IMO. They are, always have, made Gina the freakiest freak who ever freaked in that place. Her statements about having less formal education (and thus not knowing something totally reasonable for ANYONE to know) or her not liking certain things aren't intended to make her identifiable with the audience, but rather to make her seem over-the-top weird with her selections of when and where she pulls that card (in situations where it doesn't really make sense). She's the Seinfeld Kramer character, the Office's Kevin, Boy Meets World's Eric, Rev. Jim on Taxi...  The OTT character who doesn't operate like normal humans. A cartoon character in human form. Not the everywoman. 

This is not any kind of argument intended to persuade you to like her any more than you do by the way. It's just that even if this is the first time I've seen it expressed as "everyman(woman)" , I have noticed over time that many of the people who hate the character most seem to take what the character says and does the most seriously/literally. 

Hitchcock and Scully are like that too (some shows have multiple characters like that, for example how Taxi had both Rev. Jim and Latka).

I guess everyman wasn't the right term. Perhaps more of a pastiche on the sort of person who sneers at education and only cares about the vapid things in life (which, the impression is often given, is the American version of an everyman). But the fact still remains that we're supposed to like her and appreciate her outlook on life. I've seen people with similar opinions as Gina becoming minor celebrities and championing their vacuous idiocy, and it saddens me. If I felt like she was supposed to be pitied, then I might find her more tolerable, but the writers clearly think she's awesome and fun, and she just isn't.

The 'quirky' views she's supposed to have are sadly not quirky and unusual, like Phoebe's or Kramer's were. They're not at all far from the views you'd see posted in comments on gossip websites and you'd hear from people reading trashy magazines.

Hitchcock and Scully, as I've said, are cartoon characters. They aren't mean to have depth or be likeable or exist in any other way than as a punchline. Gina is, which is why the character doesn't work for me.

• Love 3

At the end of the episode when Rosa requires 3 (4?) shots to reveal her boyfriend's name and Jake is providing his little narration (including "I've got to assume those belong to someone else") followed by his delight when she chokes out "Tom," I was thinking, "I really want to be friends with Jake Peralta."

Edited by dusang
  • Love 8

the fact still remains that we're supposed to like her and appreciate her outlook on life. 

But I don't think we ARE supposed to like her. Oh we're not supposed to see her as any kind of villain, but she's not in any way a "point of view character". Jake of course is that, but at times so are Amy and (as weird as he gets sometimes) Charles, and even Holt sometimes too. Vs. Rosa and Terry, who really aren't, along with Gina and of course Hitchcock and Scully. The POV generally doesn't directly follow that second group of characters (Terry comes closest, but even with him there's usually a more traditional character along with him seeing his story through their eyes), and while clearly some are meant to be more likable than others, there's really no story requirement for the show to MAKE them nice for the viewing audience.  And I think that's most important with Gina. Her character is a prop for the other characters perhaps more than any other--someone for them to react to rather than someone who's own reactions matter. Of course even with such a character a show can go too far and make them unwatchable.  There's perhaps something about Gina that's persuaded a decently large group of people that she's a character who's insulting to them because she's somehow representing them badly. But the show is never really saying she represents anyone. Gina HERSELF is, but Gina is also shown as ridiculous, so I don't know why viewers are believing her when she says this.

• Love 2

The one thing that bothered me about the Swedes is that the woman had a strong accent, but the man barely had an accent at all. I thought it was a strange choice. Otherwise, really good episode. I loved Jake's attempts to flesh out his friendship with Rosa, and I'd like to see more Terry and Amy together. (Also bummed that Amy didn't get a scene with NDT.) And I'm still not feeling Gina. They have stupid/annoying characters in Hitchcock and Scully; they don't need her too.

Gina is like a caricature of a millennial, and I don't think anyone is really supposed to relate to her or like her.

Except that they do like her.  She abuses people right and left, but they all seek her opinion and approval, and go out of their way to help her and promote her.  I might find her funny in a vacuum (she has made me laugh a few times),  but I can't believe that people put up with her shit and find her charming.  And yes, she does remind me so much of Junior High Mean Girls that I just can't be objective about her.

• Love 3

My favorite was Amy's mnemonic paragraph for the moons of Jupiter that even she had trouble remembering after a while.

I got as far as "Ganymde, Io, Europa, and... ??Callista??

I lived in Denmark for 6 months and this brought back the memory of my Danish friends looking at the teen Swedes who'd come over the bridge with such disdain...

*happy sigh* I love this show.

I have to say, social media addict Gina not knowing what Star Wars is is probably one of the more far fetched things this show has asked me to believe. Maybe a few years ago, but it is EVERYWHERE now.

Oh, I don't believe for a moment that Gina didn't know what Star Wars was. I think she was simply playing dumb in her usual attempt to appear cool.

This is a large part of why I don't like her. I think they try to make her some sort of 'everyman' figure, but she just comes across as 'lowest common denominator and proud of it' to me. Dismissive of intelligence and drive .

I adored how Terry bragged about graduating with honours and then added "Terry's bragging". :)  And then Amy with her adorable bragging about her planetarium birthdays...too cute. Them choreographing an astronomy dance for Gina? Ugh. I want all these people (except Gina) as friends.

At the end of the episode when Rosa requires 3 (4?) shots to reveal her boyfriend's name and Jake is providing his little narration (including "I've got to assume those belong to someone else") followed by his delight when she chokes out "Tom," I was thinking, "I really want to be friends with Jake Peralta."

...right? He effortlessly glides from immature kid to serious, supportive friend, to earnest boyfriend, to competent cop...it's very appealing.

Also, what's more far fetched: Swedish prisons having saunas or a rat becoming a great chef? ;)

Boyle and Holt are a rare treat. What was Boyle's great opening blast? "Are you butternuts ready to get squashed?" Fucking priceless.

If I could go the rest of my life without hearing "cervical pH balance", I'll be happy. :D

• Love 2