Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: AKA You're A Winner

On a positive note, it was great to see Malcolm clean and sober! I hope it lasts. After seeing way too many movies and tv shows about creepy assholes, the thought of someone forcing you to become an addict is horrifying. Kilgrave did it to him once so I'm afraid he'll do it again. It was heartbreaking to see Malcolm at the survivors' group talking about how Kilgrave made him a thief and an addict but wondering how much of it was already in him and how much of it was still within him now. Thankfully (at least as far as we know so far), he didn't make Malcolm kill anyone, unlike Jessica and Hope.

And man, poor Hope. I know that some women are able to give birth to babies who were conceived in rape and still love them, but I can't blame Hope for wanting nothing to do with a baby that's part Kilgrave.

I knew Kilgrave was creepy and obsessed with Jessica, but holy shit, buying her childhood home? Fuuuuuuck. On the plus side, he didn't kill the owner so yay? Whatever his reasoning for that, it's still a good thing when Kilgrave doesn't casually add to his body count.

As much as I like Malcolm, I don't think it was his place to tell Luke about what Kilgrave did to Jessica. If he wanted to tell Luke what Kilgrave did to HIM, then fine, but what Kilgrave did to Jessica is her trauma and it should be her choice who to share that information with.

On 11/21/2015 at 9:58 PM, Leia1979 said:

I love the scene where Kilgrave is obviously trying to refrain from using his powers. It's probably not something he does often. And I know Kilgrave is an awful person, but I think I'd be completely happy with an entire episode of his shenanigans. He's just so darn entertaining. Also, there are times when I too wish I could just tell everybody to be quiet. I mean, I could, but they wouldn't actually do it.

On 11/22/2015 at 0:27 PM, thuganomics85 said:

The Hope story-line might not make everyone happy, but I can certainly understand why she does not want to birth the child of fucking Kilgrave (I'm guessing it was actually him, unless he mind-controlled someone else to have sex with her, which... yeah, I can even begin to get into what kind of fucked-up shit Kilgrave's into).  But why does Hogarth want the dead fetus?  Does she think it will help the case somehow, or is there something sinister going on.

I'm guessing Kilgrave buying Jessica's childhood house legally was to not get in any trouble, plus owning it officially does probably give him an even more perverse pleasure.  He's such a bastard.  Although, him making everyone in the restaurant be quiet did kind of amuse me.  He's still an awful being, but if he wasn't, I wished he worked a movie theater and his entire job would be going into auditoriums and making people turn off their damn cellphones and quit talking during the show.  But that would require him to not be the creepiest psychopath on the planet.

Ha, I was worried that maybe I had a little bit of Krazy Kilgrave in me because when he yelled at everyone in the restaurant to shut up, I found myself kind of wishing I had that power too. I would totally love a scene of him yelling at everyone in a movie theater to STFU, stop texting, and just watch the damn movie similar to when George Costanza did that. I would love to see Kilgrave spend a day forcing rude people to behave themselves. Imagine him telling litterers to pick up their trash and making people who cut in line go all the way to the back to wait their damn turn.

I'm hoping that Jeri wants the fetus so she can run a DNA test to try to figure out who Kilgrave is, but I still don't trust her so she could be using the fetus for some other nefarious purpose.

On 11/28/2015 at 4:22 AM, Blakeston said:

It looks like a lot of people disliked the "you let me inside of you" line, but I thought it did a good job of showing just how violated he felt.

And he had every right to feel extremely violated. Imagine if Malcolm had escaped Kilgrave's hold on him, and then initiated a sexual relationship with Jessica, knowing that she was unaware of all the spying he did. Jessica would be justified in being furious with him if she found out, and I think most viewers would share her anger.

When Luke confronted Jessica at the end of this episode, I think he had accepted that Kilgrave really has mind-control powers. When he confronted her, his anger was about her failure to tell him the truth. If he actually thought Jessica had murdered his wife out of her own free will, things would have probably gone very differently.

ITA with all of this. I thought that line was not great, but it did illustrate how sickened he was that he he'd had sex with the weapon that killed his wife (which is how I view Jessica's part in Reva's death - despite her actions, I don't consider her a murderer because she had no control over her actions). The comparison with Malcolm was a great example.

I understand why Jessica hasn't told anyone about her part in Reva's death. As she told Malcolm, her way of dealing with what Kilgrave did to her is repression. Sometimes just saying something out loud is too much to handle. Although Jessica knows what she did and obviously admitted it to herself enough to spy on Luke out of an immense sense of guilt, I also think that she couldn't bring herself to actually admit to anyone that she was responsible for Reva's death. I would guess she had never even spoken the words in an empty room. I'm not trying to justify the fact that she kept it a secret from Luke all this time, but I think that she has not dealt with it enough to say, "Hey, I know exactly how your wife died because I was there and I was the one who did it." If the bus driver's life hadn't been at stake, she never would have said anything to Luke about it.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2
On November 22, 2015 at 3:27 PM, thuganomics85 said:

The truth is finally out!  I saw were both characters were coming from in the end and, rightly or wrongly, I did think they acted realistically.  I know and have seen what Jessica has been through, so I still has more sympathy for her.  This whole situation is so fucked up and even if she threw that punch, that was all Kilgrave.  And it is clear that it eats her up and that was why she was looking in on Luke in the first place, because of that guilt.  At the same time, yeah, keeping that from him while sleeping with him, certainly doesn't look good on her, and I was perfectly fine with Luke's outburst because of it.  Maybe the "piece of shit" was out of line, but that had to feel like a betrayal to him.

The Hope story-line might not make everyone happy, but I can certainly understand why she does not want to birth the child of fucking Kilgrave (I'm guessing it was actually him, unless he mind-controlled someone else to have sex with her, which... yeah, I can even begin to get into what kind of fucked-up shit Kilgrave's into).  But why does Hogarth want the dead fetus?  Does she think it will help the case somehow, or is there something sinister going on.

I'm guessing Kilgrave buying Jessica's childhood house legally was to not get in any trouble, plus owning it officially does probably give him an even more perverse pleasure.  He's such a bastard.  Although, him making everyone in the restaurant be quiet did kind of amuse me.  He's still an awful being, but if he wasn't, I wished he worked a movie theater and his entire job would be going into auditoriums and making people turn off their damn cellphones and quit talking during the show.  But that would require him to not be the creepiest psychopath on the planet.

Interesting to see Malcolm off drugs and trying to move past what happened to him.  I like his loyalty to Jessica, even if he ever did try to fight Luke, it would end pretty badly, I suspect.  But I do think all these shots at the victim meetings means that this season will probably end with Jessica finally going to one.

Missed Trish, but I guess they didn't want to make the episode too crowded.

I'm watching the series again, and also came here to talk about the fetus. I think Hogarth wanted it for sinister porpoises, since she told the nurse not to tell anyone. It's only the girls word against his, that she was raped, and forced to do things, so they wouldn't need a paternity test. They don't even know that he exists.

I think Hogarth wants to try to replicate that power, for herself. Hopefully, she isn't into cloning, but I wouldn't put anything past her. The only problem there, for her, would be that it seems that people get their own powers, they don't get passed down. I'm not a comic reader, so I'm sure someone will correct me on that. I'm not talking superman, from another world, where they're all alike when it comes to that.

Edited by Anela
6 hours ago, Anela said:

I'm watching the series again, and also came here to talk about the fetus. I think Hogarth wanted it for sinister porpoises, since she told the nurse not to tell anyone. It's only the girls word against his, that she was raped, and forced to do things, so they wouldn't need a paternity test. They don't even know that he exists.

I think Hogarth wants to try to replicate that power, for herself. Hopefully, she isn't into cloning, but I wouldn't put anything past her. The only problem there, for her, would be that it seems that people get their own powers, they don't get passed down. I'm not a comic reader, so I'm sure someone will correct me on that. I'm not talking superman, from another world, where they're all alike when it comes to that.

This goes really into comic-book stuff and older comic book stuff at that.  That said, Reed and Sue Richards, who got their super-powers via cosmic rays on a space trip, had a child named Franklin who also got super-powers, so there's precedent for super parents to have super children.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, johntfs said:

This goes really into comic-book stuff and older comic book stuff at that.  That said, Reed and Sue Richards, who got their super-powers via cosmic rays on a space trip, had a child named Franklin who also got super-powers, so there's precedent for super parents to have super children.

That, I understand. I just didn't think they would have the same powers - so hogarth would have been out of luck trying to generate that power for herself (having people do what you tell them to). I would love something like that, to help, or occasionally to make a day easier, I admit, but the latter is ethically a no-no. I don't think I could do it.