Type keyword(s) to search

Eastenders (BBC) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I loved how the main piece of evidence implicating Phil was that the brake fluid on the rag matched the brake fluid in the car.  So...does the Arches use some Super Special Secret Blend of brake fluid that is only used there?  Even Phil doesn't deny that he worked on Ronnie's car, so why is this so crucial?

Can we get back to finding out Lucy's killer now?

Oh my God, and I thought Ben was insufferable before! 

It was nice to see Max finally give in to his emotions and shed some tears. But geeze, Abi… learn to read a room!

I wish that news that Nick was around would just spread through the square because watching Roxy complain about Charlie's behavior is getting on my nerves. Also, I'm not that familiar with Roxy and Phil's history, so is there a good reason why she would immediately believe Phil could have been responsible for the crash? Because that's also kind of hard to swallow.

At least it appears that Charlie isn't buying Nick and Yvonne's load of hogwash about who's really responsible for cutting the breaks. So that's something!

• Love 1

Ben's face when Phil was all "No, that was from when Sharon was trying to rip me off. I don't actually want you in charge of anything!" was hilarious. Loved it! I also love that Max keeps asking Abi if she's sure Ben's not gay. Hee!

However, it does appear that Charlie is starting to blame Phil for the accident. Or is he just trying to keep on Roxy's good side? I'm not entirely sure. I appreciate that he doesn't want CJ anywhere near Nick, but then he let his father comfort him, so… yeah. Mixed messages, there.

Nick is working my last good nerve, and I can't wait for him to be exposed.

Also, now that Lauren is playing Nancy Drew and suspects her dad, I assume that we're going to get a couple weeks of Max being a prime suspect before the ultimate twist that it's Abi? Or do you suppose that every week there will be a focus on a different suspect so that by the time the live reveal episode rolls around we're just swimming in red herrings?

Also, I'm not that familiar with Roxy and Phil's history, so is there a good reason why she would immediately believe Phil could have been responsible for the crash? Because that's also kind of hard to swallow.

Phil and Shirley stealing her money a while back might be a contributing factor, plus stress and grief over Ronnie's condition could alter her judgement but Roxy thinking Phil would do something like that to Ronnie feels like a bit of a stretch to me, too.

I still don't think Abi killed Lucy.  Way too many anvils are being dropped for that character right now to make me believe it would be her.

Edited by Decider

Oh Alfie.  Oh Mo.  *facepalm*

These two absolutely have a point in that Harry's money could solve the family's immediate problems - namely keeping them fed, clothed, and a roof over their heads.  But the decision on whether or not to take the money should fall to Kat and only Kat.  She is the one who faced the abuse from Harry and all of the fallout that's come over the years.  She's the one who has the most to lose in terms of self-respect if she takes the money.  And regardless of Kat's decision, Alfie, Mo, Stacey, and everyone else in the family needs to support her.  

Alfie in particular makes me want to scream.  Dude, does it not occur to you that perhaps supporting your estranged wife in her decision about whether or not to take money from her rapist might be a step in the right direction to getting back together?  And that just urging her to take the money might make her feel cheap and dirty?  Ay yi yi...

I guess this makes me a bad person, but I just don't care about most of the Carters and I feel like they have no particular place in Walford. They could all leave tomorrow and I'm not sure anyone in Walford would care. The family consists of endless Shirley history rewrites (and if it was to give her a place on the show, that failed too, as I'm not sure she's ever felt as irrelevant as she does now), and depressed people sitting around glowering and waiting for the latest secret. This is intercut with Nancy (and before recently, Mick) pulling a lot of "comedy" faces to try to stave off the misery. 

I feel terrible for Linda and I do want to see justice done, but she was a misery pit long before the rape and I have a feeling that will always be her only role on the show. It's not just that she seems like such an outsider to Walford - Angie always felt like an outsider but it worked for the character - it's that she seems to have no real purpose beyond misery and to be raped so that they could have the pointless, tedious "he's your bruvva!" reveal. When I think of a woman running the Vic, I think of her standing at the bar, sure and in charge. When I think of Linda in the Vic, my only memories are her scowling at the kitchen table and scowling on the sofa. 

Mick is as forced in his pouty hangdog sessions with Linda as he is in his cheeky chappy and rageaholic personas. I don't believe Danny Dyer was the right choice for this role and he lacks the charisma to run the Vic. 

Given that Lee's role in the Lucy Beale murder has always felt tacked-on, and his "anger" issues are no better (still cringing at that scene where he gave Ben a few taps and Nancy got in the way and this very lackluster scene was sold as him being out of control), I see absolutely no purpose in him. He's just...there. He has a nice ass. Good for him, as that's one of the best things about Carter family scenes. 

Nancy has a lot of silly faces ready to go at all times, and wears her best TLC clothes from 1992, but I have a limited use for this type of character. She's not even a character - she's a caricature. How does she even dress herself? 

Sam Strike thankfully decided to try his luck elsewhere, sparing me the thrilling "romance" of Ben decking him and then smashing their faces together. Johnny was such a cipher that he barely seemed to be there most of the time anyway. 

Dean has been destroyed, so no real reason to count him. 

I have no great desire to see Alfie or Phil in the Vic, but I sure wish this family was not consigning it further into the doldrums. At this point I just wish they'd let Tracy the barmaid run it. Or take a risk and have someone like Billy run the place. 

Edited by Pete Martell

I have no great desire to see Alfie or Phil in the Vic, but I sure wish this family was not consigning it further into the doldrums. At this point I just wish they'd let Tracy the barmaid run it. Or take a risk and have someone like Billy run the place. 

I still hold out hope that Lucy's murder will never be solved from the perspective of the EE characters, and that we'll be treated to a flashback episode in which the killer is revealed as Tracey.  In fact, I really want to believe that Tracey is the criminal mastermind of Albert Square pulling the strings on her puppets Nick Cotton and Phil Mitchell.  She never fooled me with that quiet barmaid ruse!

• Love 2

Regarding the spoiler above:

I've always thought that Nick would probably be killed rather than dying naturally, and that it would be by Dot's hand. The irony that the one person who has never completely lost faith in Nick, the one who gave birth to him is now taking his life away is incredibly satisfying.

That said, I think Nick's death will be accidental, in self-defense, or defending someone else (Dot kills Nick as he's trying to harm Charlie's baby or something like that). I really don't think a trial will go anywhere, because any number of people on the Square not only want to get rid of Nick, but would be willing to vouch for Dot in that the death was in self-defense. No one wants Dot to go to jail for killing a waste of space like Nick.

I'm not clicking that spoiler! I'm not clicking that spoiler! AAAGGGHHH!

I'm just chiming in to say that I honestly can't believe that Charlie had to be told that Nick was the one who caused the accident. Right after it happened, and Nick was being all nice and comforting, the way the actor playing Charlie played the scene, it seemed like he didn't quite buy what his father was selling. But in subsequent episodes, he was eager to blame the hell out of Phil. Seriously? At least Yvonne came clean so we can finally get somewhere with this storyline. 

On the plus side, it gave Charlie and excuse to beat the crap out of Ben, and anytime someone beats the crap out of Ben it's a good episode. ;-) (I'm eagerly anticipating the day Phil finds out that Ben lost the Arches to Max. Ben's gonna be in TROUBLE! AHAHAHAH!)

Ben's gotten punched or beaten up at least three times since he got back to the Square in September.  Dean, Lee, and now Charlie have all taken a turn.  In Charlie's case, he did it with one arm and with Fatboy trying to fend him off. 

Who's next to have a go at Ben - Dot?  Bert and Ernie?

I am getting kind of tired at the writers feeling like Ben needs to try to lay a kiss on practically every man in his life who shows him any kind of support or sympathy.  First Johnny and now Jay?  Ugh.

I laughed out loud at that moment, though. I can't believe it took this long for Ben to try it on with Jay. I mean, just look at Jay! They've been sharing a room… how has Ben not tried it before now? :-D

Also, I know Yvonne was trying to make a point, but why would you burn all that perfectly good money? (I'd like to think she hid most of it and just burned some bills with regular paper to throw Nick off)

Also, I know Yvonne was trying to make a point, but why would you burn all that perfectly good money? (I'd like to think she hid most of it and just burned some bills with regular paper to throw Nick off)

Yeah so stupid, damn writers, as if! I would've grabbed that bag and ran into the square to find Dot or Charlie and failing that hidden the bag until I did find them. (headdesk).

Seems kind of fitting that Nick should be hiding out in Reg Cox's old flat.  Poor Dot.  Don't want to say more about that as it may tie in with the spoiler I linked a few days ago.

I cannot wait for the wrath of Phil when he finally gets out and finds out 1) about the Arches and 2) how practically his whole family believed that he was responsible for Ronnie, but I suspect that may not happen for a while with Steve McFadden having time off.

Edited by Decider

I’m trying to figure out Stan’s motivations for insisting Dean stay at the Vic.  Since Mick told him about the rape, I got the feeling that Stan didn’t necessarily believe or disbelieve anyone, but that he understood that keeping Dean away from the Vic was the best course of action so as not to aggravate the situation.  Stan was still supportive of Mick, and he didn’t seem to want to alienate Dean either.  Honestly, it seemed like a pretty believable stance for Stan to have taken.

But since Dean found Sylvie and brought her back to the community center the other day, Stan has been 100% behind Dean.  What Dean did was nice, but I’m having a tough time believing that Stan would have suddenly changed his approach so drastically just with that one act.  So is Stan possibly trying to gain Dean’s trust, let his guard down, and find out exactly what happened?  Otherwise I’m not really sure why he’s suddenly made a 180 from wanting Dean to keep his distance to now demanding he lives at the Vic.

And honestly, why would Dean move in there?  I’m assuming he has his own room right now at Denise’s place.  He gets along well with both Denise and Patrick, and he and Kim seemed to hit it off when they first met.  Denise probably appreciates some help with Patrick’s care.  So why would Dean want to move into the Vic and share an apartment with Shirley, Nancy, Stan, Tina, Lee, Mick, and Linda? 

Speaking of Tina, I liked her a lot yesterday.  I’m glad someone besides Mick believes Linda.  Actually, since Tosh has left I’ve liked seeing Tina a lot more.  She’s still kind of a ditz, but she is very kind-hearted and doesn’t completely mow everyone over with a personal agenda like Shirley. 

So what’s up with Shabnam’s newspaper clipping?  Does it tie in with the fact that she’s mysteriously rich?  I still think that she is either pretending to be a more devout Muslim as a ruse, or that she became devout to compensate for a big perceived moral failing.  I’m really curious to hear more about her story.

Edited by eejm

I've always loved Tina. I think she's got a good head on her shoulders. I don't know why Dean would move into the Vic aside from just creating an unbelievably awkward situation for when Mick and Linda return and find him hanging out on the couch… It reeks of the writers forcing square pegs into round holes just to suit their story plans.

I don't know what is up with Shabnam's clipping. At first I thought it might be a photo of someone, but I guess you're right, it is a clipping. Her hesitation to get involved with Kush even though he's super hot and she's clearly tempted makes me wonder if she's been put in some kind of arranged marriage and is second-guessing that decision to go along with it. Perhaps the clipping is an engagement announcement? It's honestly all I can think of. Didn't she get the money through an inheritance or something? A relative that died and hated all the men in the family and so she got the money? I could be misremembering, though.

And as soon as Dot was hiding that Tupperware of food when Fats walked in, I knew she was hiding Nick somewhere and that was food she was going to sneak to him. I also thought that looked like Reg Cox's old flat, too. Was it really? Because it's kind of hilarious that no one would've bought it and remodeled it or anything. Maybe they think it's haunted? ;-)

I think Dot is a hypocrite; all her bible bashing and god squad stuff and yet she lies and lies and lies when it suits her agenda, to the point where she would let someone else take the blame and sit in prison for her scumbag son's actions. I can't understand Sharon going along with it either; why would she care about Dot or any of the Cottons after they were all happy to either frame Phil or let him take the blame even when they'd discovered the truth? 

As for Shirley; she is getting on my last nerve right now, it's one thing to believe Dean but quite another to move him into the Vic; I think we are meant to think that Shirley hopes by forcing Dean down everyone's throats they will end up feeling sorry for him/believing him. I hope Mick kicks them both out on their ears when he returns grrr.

I used to be okay with Dot siding with Nick constantly in the past, but at this point, it's like, no. Just give up on him. Even SHE has to realize that now he's a lost cause. But then I guess she wouldn't be Dot.

And agreed on the Sharon going along with it. All this talk of family loyalty, but does that really count when it's by marriage like that?

I also thought that looked like Reg Cox's old flat, too. Was it really? Because it's kind of hilarious that no one would've bought it and remodeled it or anything. Maybe they think it's haunted? ;-)

Yep, Number 23 was Reg's flat.  There were other characters who lived there over the years after Reg was killed and the space was split into two flats -- Ali and Sue Osman, Mary Smith, Mo Butcher, Dot even lived there briefly -- then the Slaters moved in and it was converted back to a house.  23 is where Kat and Alfie were living up until the fire that Alfie set, that is why it is empty right now.

Edited to add: Sonia and Fats?   Oooooooh, I say. And I cannot wait until Mick goes off on Shirley on Monday.

Edited by Decider
  • Love 1

Yeah, I am SO GLAD Mick and Linda are back. Watching Shirley swan around the Vic and shove Dean in everyone's faces was getting OLD. They need to put her (and him) back in their places!

Also, was anyone else spending the back end of the episode worried about Patrick being left on his own? :)

• Love 2

Ugh. So Mick and Linda come back and we get cheated out of our big confrontation by picking things up days later? Boo!

And I really don't understand why they didn't just tell Lee and Nancy the truth about the rape if they were just going to go to the cops anyway. Now they're going to know and Nancy is going to be even MORE pissed that they didn't tell her the truth. Also, I'm really not sure what good it's going to do going to the cops months and months after the incident. There's no evidence. It's just her word against his. And since he's sociopathic he's going to continue acting like he didn't do anything wrong, so it's not even like he'd get all twitchy like he's covering his guilt. As this story continues to play out, I'm liking it less and less...

• Love 1

Ugh. So Mick and Linda come back and we get cheated out of our big confrontation by picking things up days later? Boo!

And I really don't understand why they didn't just tell Lee and Nancy the truth about the rape if they were just going to go to the cops anyway. Now they're going to know and Nancy is going to be even MORE pissed that they didn't tell her the truth. Also, I'm really not sure what good it's going to do going to the cops months and months after the incident. There's no evidence. It's just her word against his. And since he's sociopathic he's going to continue acting like he didn't do anything wrong, so it's not even like he'd get all twitchy like he's covering his guilt. As this story continues to play out, I'm liking it less and less...

Emphasis mine; I had the exact same reaction!

I also 100% agree with everything else you said here; it's irritating all round.

I can certainly understand why they wouldn't want to tell Nancy and Lee - I imagine telling anyone that you've been raped is horrible and feels humiliating, but to have to tell your children that would probably be doubly so - but I do hope with Linda going to the police that it all comes out so that Nancy can have a better understanding of what's been going on. That said, considering Nancy already thinks that Dean and Linda slept together, I wonder if maybe she won't believe the rape story and will buy Dean's side of things.

The problem is that Mick and Linda REALLY should've told Nancy and Lee the truth before going to the police. Because now it's a matter of public record and they're going to find out anyway and Nancy is gonna be PISSED if she finds out from someone or somewhere else before her mom and/or dad. I guess they've got a little time now to come clean with the kids before the police arrest Dean. Because that's when it's ALL going to kick off.

That said, this episode was good, and I could see what they were going for, but honestly, the cross-cutting between Dean and Linda telling their stories just didn't have the impact I think the writers/editors wanted. It was a fine effort, and Kellie Bright did a great job, but all together I just didn't turn into an instant classic.

I am pleased that it appears Shirley is having second thoughts about Dean's story, like she doesn't COMPLETELY believe him anymore. So that's good. 

Oh, and while that young male officer who first took Linda's statement was adorable, if I was her I would've asked for an officer who was out of high school! ;-)

I hate to say it, but I'm not sure if there would have been evidence of rape even if Linda had gone to the police straight away.  She didn't seem to have any visible injuries, no one saw or heard anything, so other than her mental state I think it would still be Linda's word against Dean's.  Even with Linda being pregnant with Dean's possible baby doesn't prove much other than the two had sex, which is something Dean doesn't deny.  

I still think that at some point before they returned from Watford, Mick should have told Lee and Nancy under no uncertain terms that Linda and Dean did not have an affair, that Dean massively overstepped his boundaries with Linda, that Linda and her baby would be all right, and that they'd elaborate later, but that Linda was shaken by the experience and needed some time away from the Square.  All of it would be true, Mick wouldn't have been betraying Linda's trust by telling the kids without her knowledge, and Lee and Nancy wouldn't be as scared, confused, and resentful as they (rightfully) are right now.  It's understandable that Linda is having a tough time with the idea of her children knowing what happened to her, but they're adults and are plenty old enough to understand how this will affect their mother.

As for Shirley believing Dean - well, as Tina noted the other day, Shirley is making this all about her. Shirley is well aware that Dean raped Linda and either can't or is choosing not to acknowledge it as anything other than consensual sex.  Shirley also recognizes that the rape happened indirectly because she ran off after shooting Phil. (Granted, the blame for the actual rape is on Dean 100%, but I don't think Shirley is at all comfortable with her actions having such a negative effect on his mental state.) Shirley also knows that part of the reason she's been a terrible mother is because she's abandoned her children on multiple occasions. By backing Dean, she feels she's standing by the one child who needs her help most. Also, by supporting Dean she's is removing herself from any association with the rape, as Dean claims it was all consensual sex.

So - Shirley doesn't believe Dean's version of events, but is supporting him because it makes her feel better about herself.

• Love 2

The two-header...wow.  Goodness.

Everyone that was in these two episodes - all of the Carters (and I mean ALL), Sharon, Max, Ben, etc., did a truly incredible job.  There weren't any weak players or moments in my opinion.  But Linda telling her children about the rape, the Linda/Nancy and Lee/Mick scenes, and Shirley describing being pregnant with Mick just blew me away.  They were all very powerful scenes.

Do any of the Carters ever have a good birthday?  Stan told everyone he was dying at Lee's birthday.  And didn't Lee beat the shit out of Ben at Johnny's?  And this made one doozy of a birthday for Mick.  Given what Shirley described of her pregnancy and Mick's babyhood, I think Mick may have survived more attempts on his life before his first birthday than Phil has in his 50+ years, and that's no easy feat.  

I'm all in favor of everyone referring to Dean by his new name (Scum) from now on.  He's certainly earned it.  I did have a little chuckle when, after Mick taunted Dean with the talk of what happens to rapists in prison, he turns to Shirley and says, "Oh yeah, thanks for the birthday present."  Hee.  

Is it just me or has EastEnders just been killing it all month, from Mitchells to Slaters/Moons to Brannings to Carters to Cottons?  Next week is supposed to be a big Masood week, so we've got all of the major families with some really meaty stories.  This show has had a huge turnaround in a very short time.

Edited by eejm
  • Love 1

Actually, I'm not certain, but I think Lee beat the shit out of Ben at Lee's birthday.

I doubt anything will come of the police report of the rape, unfortunately, because it really does seem like it's just down to Linda's word against Dean's, but I did enjoy Mick telling Dean they'd reported him.

At the very least, Dean will be arrested, and the entire square will know he's a rapist. Or at least an accused one. Hopefully the shame of that will finally trigger something in him so he either realizes the horror of what he actually did or just runs away with his head hanging low.

But yeah, those were a pair of really great episodes. Powerful performances all around. Weirdly, the moment that made me go all misty eyed was when Lee scurried off with the milk, but then came back to kiss his mum on the head from behind. Aw. Baby steps.

I do have to say, though, that as much as I love Stan and The Carters, I can't imagine that they'll be able to top the tear-fest of Dot and Ethel from all those years ago. Sorry!

• Love 2

I wasn't crazy about the Back to Ours special with Kat and Alfie. And it makes me wary of the others to come. It was too short, and I feel like we barely got to hear their thoughts on things. Every so often one of them would have an interesting behind the scenes tidbit, but the whole thing just felt rushed. I would've preferred a full half-hour special where we could really hear them reminisce about the clips. The number and length of the clips was good, but I wanted more behind the scenes comments. :(

I honestly thought that Sharon's smug "Don't pick fights you can't win" was going to get Max to change his mind that instant. But now I can't wait for Phil to get out of prison and show Max just how out of his depth he is. ;-) (Also, that scene where Carol lit into Max because she assumed he was snogging Emma's mom was just plain ridiculous. Ridiculous that she would even jump to that conclusion and then ridiculous that the writers made it so that Max couldn't explain himself so she would listen. LAME.)

And just as I start feeling bad for Shabnam, she turns around and releases her inner megabitch again. I really need to know what the heck is up with her because this is starting to get frustrating watching her being so mean to Kush. Poor Kush. I just want to give him a hug… ;-)

I honestly thought that Sharon's smug "Don't pick fights you can't win" was going to get Max to change his mind that instant. But now I can't wait for Phil to get out of prison and show Max just how out of his depth he is. ;-) (Also, that scene where Carol lit into Max because she assumed he was snogging Emma's mom was just plain ridiculous. Ridiculous that she would even jump to that conclusion and then ridiculous that the writers made it so that Max couldn't explain himself so she would listen. LAME.)

While Carol was jumping to conclusions, Max is a bit of a slut.  :D

(Also, that scene where Carol lit into Max because she assumed he was snogging Emma's mom was just plain ridiculous. Ridiculous that she would even jump to that conclusion and then ridiculous that the writers made it so that Max couldn't explain himself so she would listen. LAME.)

There was plenty of eye rolling going on from me with that scene.  Even with Max's well known habits, that felt like a bit of a stretch.
  • Love 1

Not sure how I feel about Shabnam's revelation today (Friday).  Trying to figure out how this all fits in the timeline is making my head hurt but maybe there will be more explanation on Monday's episode.

Whoa...Dean is the father of Shabnam's baby?  Were they ever in the Square at the same time before now?  Did she know who she was that time they slept together?

Yep, their initial appearances in Walford overlapped, but I'm not sure how it worked given when Shabnam would have conceived.  Dean left Walford the first time in February 2008; he'd been in prison for the six previous months.  Shabnam left in October 2008 looking not-pregnant.  She did have a crush on him when she first got to the Square, and I think that's how she became friends with Dean's sister Carly.  If Shabnam was pregnant when she left the Square, she must have gone out clubbing one night, perhaps in the summer of 2008, and ran into Dean. This would have been after he left Walford but when he was still in London.  

EastEnders reveals 30th anniversary Live Week schedule

EXCITing!

Copying this in here for easy reference.

The full schedule follows below:

Monday, February 16
10.45pm: The Graham Norton Show EastEnders Special

Tuesday, February 17
7.30pm: EastEnders (30-minute episode - includes live elements)

Wednesday, February 18
8.00pm: EastEnders (30-minute episode - includes live elements)

Thursday, February 19 - Lucy Beale's killer revealed tonight
7.30pm: EastEnders (Hour-long episode - includes live elements)
9.30pm: EastEnders (30-minute Lucy Beale flashback episode - includes live elements)

Friday, February 20
8.00pm: EastEnders (Full 30-minute live episode)
8.30pm: EastEnders: Backstage Live (with a live switchover to BBC Three at 9pm)

• Love 2

If Shabnam was pregnant when she left the Square

Oh, I thought the one-night stand and the pregnancy happened much more recently.  I was just curious if Shabnam knew who he was the night they slept together or if she only realized who he was once they had both moved back to the Square.

• Love 1

Oh, I thought the one-night stand and the pregnancy happened much more recently.  I was just curious if Shabnam knew who he was the night they slept together or if she only realized who he was once they had both moved back to the Square.

No, Shabnam knew who he was.  She said she only came back to the Square because Dean was long gone by that point and she figured he'd never come back.  Even though Shirley was still in the Square, Shabnam probably knew from Carly that Dean and Shirley were at odds.  As she explained to Stacey, Shabnam said that when Dean returned to the Square, she'd already been back a few months, she had a job, and Masood and Tamwar needed her so she stayed. 

I read an interview with the actress who plays Shabnam.  She said she knew shortly after she was hired that Shabnam had a secret child.  She found out a couple of months later that Dean was the father, likely when it was definitely that the actor who plays Dean would come back.  She also says that there have been some scenes in the past year where Shabnam has avoided Dean, although none come to my mind. 

That was a really interesting twist in my opinion, but I'm not sure exactly where it's going to go from here.  Dean is fast becoming persona non grata in the Square because of what he did to Linda, and he and Shabnam have barely said hi to one another since they've both been back.  So how are we going to get to the point where Shabnam says to Dean, "Oh hey, that time we had sex that you don't remember?  Yeah, I got pregnant.  And I left the kid on a doorstep.  You have a daughter out there somewhere, so...do whatever you want with that."