Type keyword(s) to search

Eastenders (BBC) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Alan and Carol were already together when they came to live on the Square but they were not married despite having a son together (Billie) and the other children taking on Alan's last name.  It was when the family was attending her sister April's wedding that there was the first showing of Jim and Derek's feelings about Alan. I remember watching that episode but it was so long ago that it is easy to forget most of that family backstory.

Edited by Decider

Hm. There was a chunk of time I missed when I got to college because the PBS in NYC was on a different timeline than the PBS upstate where I was. So I know I missed a bunch of storylines in there. At least that's what I like to think when I don't remember past stories. ;-) 

Also, I know that the Charlie/Roxy storyline started abruptly with their "passion" coming out of nowhere, but I now completely accept it because we got that AMAZING cliffhanger. :D Unless that's how they do marriage proposals over in Latvia! 

I really hope that support group can help Carol because she has been really unpleasant lately.

I can't believe that Aleks has not only been kind of a dick to everyone the whole time he's been around, but he's been stealing from the struggling market traders? Kat would flay him alive if she found out! And they let him flee the country before the cops catch up to him? (I got the impression that he was returning to Latvia with his wife and daughter, but I'm not sure they actually said that out loud) I kept hoping that the cops would show up, but no. That's lame. He should have gotten caught. And I was with Roxy and Charlie as a heated one-off, but now he's acting like Roxy is the one he truly loves? Yeah, no. Not buying it.

I will say that Shabnam is working my last good nerve with the way she's treating Kush, and he's better off without her. But when Tamwar kissed Nancy in the pub in front of everyone I got the biggest smile on my face and even welled up! You go, Tam! :D

I will say that Shabnam is working my last good nerve with the way she's treating Kush, and he's better off without her.

Exactly!  And, I honestly don't understand her attitude about hanging out at the Queen Vic.  I don't drink and I hang out at a bar every week.  I've been to pubs in England and just sit there all night drinking sodas.  No one is pointing at her and making a big deal about her drinking orange juice.  Unless it is a religious thing I just don't understand.

Max mentioned Robbie!  They should have him at the funeral  - what's the big deal having Dean Gaffney back on the show for five minutes.  Strange.

I am officially over Roxy/Charlie/Ronnie though I loved the scene where Dot basically called Charlie on the carpet over all of his foolishness.  I hadn't even thought about the parallel between them and Dot/Charlie/Rose.  This idea that Charlie is suddenly so besotted with Roxy that he would leave his child and his hospitalized wife for her seems to have materialized out of thin air.  And he has more nerve than a toothache to tell Roxy that she has to stay away from them.  I wish Roxy had cursed him out instead of whimpering in response to that ultimatum.

Edited by Decider

The Roxy/Charlie/Ronnie thing is pure rubbish. Not doing Charlie or Roxy any favours either.

Carol's always been an unpleasant character but a part of me sides with her and Max for reminding audiences that Jim was a bully long before he was married to Dot though.

Sonia and Tina's matching tattoos wasn't half as cringey as I expected them to be.

The Phil vs. Max feud need to end already. It's just dull viewing. Same with Shirley/Mick/Dean/Linda at the moment. The more I think about it, the more it was a mistake having Dean rape Linda.

Aleks deserved a better exit than the one he got.

Yay for Nancy/Tamwar. Shabnam needs to relax - Kush is a decent bloke.

BTW Les and Pam's grandson has been cast ....

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a642117/eastenders-jonny-labey-cast-as-les-and-pams-grandson-paul.html

Edited by darkestboy

Now I wonder if we'll even get to see either of the funerals. And I'm still annoyed they're doing them together. John Bardon's Jim deserved better than this, being overshadowed by Stan's memorial. At least Dot looks like she'll show up, which should help because nobody can beat Dot! (I'm still having trouble with Carol and Max being almost glad to be rid of Jim because everything I've seen of the guy he was Dot's lovable old husband. Having never seen him being a racist bully, I can't see their side.)

And I REALLY need them to wrap up this crap with Dean right quick. I'm over it. He's swanning around like he didn't do anything, and it's driving me insane. I either need him to admit to what he did to Linda or for everyone else to get over it. (Obviously the former would be better, but I'm not picky)

Just shut up Cora.  When Abi is the voice of reason, you know you are being a drama queen.  Maybe think of Stan's actual family who known him all their lives - you knew him for five minutes.  Its not all about you.

I'm so hating the Dean storyline also.  Now, its just "lets torture Linda". 

• Love 2

Why did Max and Carol have to argue so much over Jim's eulogy?  Why didn't they ask Abi or Sonia to write and deliver it?  I get that they didn't have very good memories of their dad, but Abi and Sonia were both attached to their grandfather and knew only a kinder and gentler Jim.  I will say that Max constantly whining like an eight-year-old over participating in his dad's funeral was weirdly funny to me.  

Of course Billy would mix up the bodies.  I'll admit I kind of missed Pam during the Jim-Stan funerals storyline.  I wouldn't want her onscreen all the time, but she does bring about some deliciously morbid humor.

Oh Mick.  You know I love you, but your timing suuuuuuuccccks.  Linda was approximately two seconds away from achieving just a little closure to her ordeal, and you pissed all over it.  I know you feel guilty for not protecting Linda, but you've got to let her get some peace over this without your involvement.  Please, Mick.  Do it for me.

Am I on crack or is Roxy completely wrong in the fact that Charlie never met Jim?  I swear Dot took Charlie to meet Jim when they first started bonding as family.  That said, those two need to stop it with their ill-fated romance.  NOW.

I really, really, really want to find out more about Vincent and his relationship with Ronnie.  I hope there's something meaty there.

I really could've done without the coffin mix-up. That seemed in poor taste. And the broken seatbelt was a cheap way to get past the whole Babe/Cora conflict since neither of them could go in the car. 

Tina's eulogy was nice, but I'm really upset that we're not going to hear Dot's. At least, I assume that Jim's funeral will happen off-camera since we're not back until Thursday. I'm kind of annoyed that a beloved longtime character like Jim is getting no respect as the Carter's take over the show for Stan's funeral. That said, Dot placing Jim's cap on his casket carried more emotional weight than anything that happened at Stan's service.

And yes, Roxy and Charlie need to quit it. The whole thing is just terribly wrong. I kept expecting them to hold hands in the back of the limo on the way to the church!

At least, I assume that Jim's funeral will happen off-camera since we're not back until Thursday.

I think we do see it - I saw pictures of them filming it so hopefully they will actually show it. Yep - I checked the episode description - we see the funeral on Thursday 

I really could've done without the coffin mix-up.

When they had both funerals scheduled for the same day, I just knew there would be wacky hijinks.

Edited by M. Darcy

Thank you for that. Honestly, that should be the entire episode, but as long as we actually get to see everyone reminiscing about Jim (even if it includes Carol and Max bitching about the bad old days we never got to see and were only told about secondhand) I guess it'll be okay if we cut away to Roxy and Charlie or whatever. Actually, now that I think about it, they couldn't really do the time jump they usually do from Tuesday to Thursday. We also need to pick up on Mick trying to throw Dean forcefully out of the Vic. (I really need some forward momentum on this storyline because it's getting old just watching everyone snipe at each other repeatedly.)

Shirley's, um, "dismantling" of the licensee plate had me in stitches, especially with Mick's Flashdance comment at the end.  She certainly knows how to make her point.  But throwing the 10K on the bar, thinking she could get Mick and Linda to agree to a buyout?  Please, Shirley.  Give it a rest. 

Speaking of Shirley, she says she knows where Phil was the night of Ian's and Jane's wedding.  If she's talking about Kathy, how in the hell does she know that?  Or is she talking about something else?

Is it completely nuts that Linda and Dean are being the most reasonable people in the Carter family right now?  Linda is OK with having Dean in the Vic for the wake because she feels safe with her family around, and understands that Dean is grieving too.  Dean wants to leave Walford because everyone already knows he's a rapist.  When the rapist and his victim turn out to be the most objective-thinking characters, you know the story has gone down a really weird path.

The hairdressers on the EE staff have to have something against Leticia Dean to make her hair look like that.  It's practically a separate character by now. 

Way to f*&k up every aspect of your life there, Max.  Your business, your relationship with your family, and even your father's funeral are all toast largely because you were thinking with your other head. 

After Roxy's confession I half expected Ronnie to shrug and say, "Eh, I figured as much.  I've got another iron in the fire, don't let it stress you out too much."

Edited by eejm

I wasn't going to say anything about Leticia Dean's hair, but yeah. It's kind of out of control. Sharon and Roxy must share the same hairstylist… at least the extensions blend a little better on Leticia! ;)

Charlie's done for. Ronnie knows her way around a car bonnet after all. The whole Charlie/Roxy thing seems to be more of a plot device to have Ronnie with Vincent temporarily together or whatnot. Not to mention the fact that he's also married to Kim.

I did like last night's episode exploring the sister relationships - Ronnie/Roxy, Denise/Kim, Shirley/Tina and Babe/Sylvie. For the first time in ages I actually felt sorry for Shirley when she was talking to Tina about Mick and Jimbo and it was nice to see Kim open up to Denise. If only Denise did the same with Kim though.

Babe and Sylvie - I think they're both horrible people/have done horrible things but they are fascinating characters played by two brilliant actresses. I don't know what they did with Queenie, but I assume it's going to mean that the latter will be showing up again at some point.

The funeral stuff was okay enough. Max is a twat but I assume we're nearing the end of this idiotic feud with him and Phil though. The sooner the show moves on from the Dean/Linda storyline, the better too.

Edited by darkestboy

Yeah, when Ronnie asked Roxie not to tell Charlie she knew about the affair, I was like, "oooooh, you in trouble, gurl!" :D

It's weird, though, because I swear that when Charlie and Roxie were having their "we can't keep sleeping together" conversations over Ronnie's bed, they kept showing her moving and blinking and stuff. Which made me think she was going to know about it when she woke up and not let on until she'd tormented them both. But then Roxie confessed and Ronnie didn't really act like she already knew. I mean, she didn't act terribly surprised, but come on… like she said, it's not like this is something new for Roxie.

I loved when Sylvie took a chunk out of Babe. She's been driving me nuts, and listening to the condescending way she kept talking to Sylvie - who is clearly not as far gone as Babe would like everyone to think - I wanted to slap her face off. :) To be fair, the actress does a great job playing the character with this veneer of wholesome cheeriness offering trifle to everyone, and then occasionally letting slip that vicious beast inside.

Oh dear.  I just found out that Jake Wood is also the voice of the gecko in the GEICO so when right now when I finally had time to watch the episode with Jim's funeral, I just started laughing during his eulogy.  That voice.  I do feel dense I didn't figure it out until it was pointed out.  I saw an GEICO commercial this morning and now its so obvious. 

Yeah, my husband found that out last year and now I can't listen to Max whine without thinking about how I could save money on car insurance! :D

Also, it cracks me up to no end that after everything that Kat Slater has gone through… it's sex with Max Branning that is somehow hitting "rock bottom!" AHHAHAH!

• Love 1

So Zoe has a twin, who may or may not be Sean Slater? 

And here I thought it was just the Carter family tree that was developing into a straight line...

(edited)

I want her long-lost son to be Jamie Dornan's character on The Fall, he comes to Walford and bumps off the Carters one by one, beginning with Babe, continuing with Shirley, Dean, Lee and Mick. I'd have him spare Linda and Nancy.

Would the nuns even have suitable anaesthesia at their disposal for a C section? June Whitfield's character said they weren't interested in being midwives.

In all seriousness I'm starting to think the moment DTC found out that Danny Mac was leaving Hollyoaks he and Daran Little put their heads together as to who he could play. Kat's long lost son and Zoe's twin? Bingo!

Edited by TimWil

That was a good episode, but I just found it difficult to focus on Kat's drama because they cast June Whitfield as the nun. I kept waiting for Saffy or Edina to show up! ;)

Edina drove her to a nunnery. 

And, really?  All this time and no one ever let it slip that Zoe has a twin brother?  Really?  I guess if only Kat's mom knew and she has been long dead.  But still. 

Poor Max.  If only he had bought GEICO insurance. 

• Love 2

I guess it's because I was brought up on American soaps that the whole "She had another child at birth that we never talked about" didn't even really strike me as that much of a leap. Although I feel like US soaps use that excuse for when a look-alike shows up in town so the actor can win an acting award. They say "Oh, it's your twin that nobody ever knew you had!"

At least this time it's just so they can bring in a new character. Or I suppose make an old character Kat's son to tie them in more directly? Dunno. The whole thing is kind of weird and out of far left field. But hey: SOAPS! :D

Yeah, that's true - it is a soap where people come back from the dead so long lost babies turning up shouldn't be that surprising. I'm guessing Mo didn't know because she would have spilled the beans.

What exactly is Babe's endgame?  She's obviously trying to manipulate both Carter camps, but...for what? 

You know, besides a trifle over the head...

Oh my God, that trifle over her head was HILARIOUS! :D

I'm not sure what Babe is up to. She's playing nice with everyone. I guess she was getting on Shirley's good side so when she bought out her share of the Vic, Shirley wouldn't be upset? I'm sorry Babe got found out so quickly, though. I was really enjoying watching her shine everyone on. I love watching that fake saccharine smile fade in and out depending on who's around. :)

Oh my God, now I'm picturing Buster dumping the trifle on her head and it short-circuiting her holographic disguise gadget and revealing her as a Slitheen in the Carter kitchen! :D

• Love 1

Okay, so Vincent is Kim's husband/babydaddy, then it turns out he's also Ronnie's "friend" who gave her the gun. And now the guy is revealed to be Donna's foster brother? What's next?

IS HE KAT'S LONG LOST SON? O.o

Okay, so Vincent is Kim's husband/babydaddy, then it turns out he's also Ronnie's "friend" who gave her the gun. And now the guy is revealed to be Donna's foster brother? What's next?

IS HE KAT'S LONG LOST SON? O.o

Well, we know Vincent knows Phil.  Vincent turned up at Phil's house during the live episode.  Upon seeing him Phil just said, "Oh, it's you," so clearly they have some sort of history.  I think the actor who plays Vincent said something along the lines of being connected to everyone on the Square.  He wasn't exaggerating.

It's a bit much, though. I mean, I appreciate that they didn't want to introduce a new character who only is connected to one person. That's kind of limiting. But COME ON! :D

I'm trying to remember the last time Tina got drunk - but is it in character for her to make such an inappropriate speech during Sonia's birthday party?  She talked about Sonia's breasts in front of Sonia's teenage daughter and her mother. Though, it was probably so that Sonia would have a reason to be upset and kiss Martin.

I'm trying to remember the last time Tina got drunk - but is it in character for her to make such an inappropriate speech during Sonia's birthday party?  She talked about Sonia's breasts in front of Sonia's teenage daughter and her mother. Though, it was probably so that Sonia would have a reason to be upset and kiss Martin.

Even Shirley seemed shocked when Tina said she'd consumed half a bottle of vodka.

When Shirley is concerned about your vodka intake, you know you've had too much.

• Love 1
(edited)

It seemed like such a weird overreaction.  Did she get drunk because Martin was at the party?  Which if so, really?  He's Sonia family and Rebecca's father.  It makes more sense for him to be there instead of Buster or Shirley.  Heh, yep its bad when Shirley is the voice of reason.

Speaking of which, Shirley, don't let Buster go.  He's a keeper.  I just love Buster!  Which means of course, he'll kill a kitty or doggie tomorrow.

And, speaking of doggies and kitties, look out pets of Walford. Abi has a car.

Edited by M. Darcy

Alfie and Kat now have a million pounds? Ugh. Beyond awful. A drunken whorebully and a compensation fraudster have triumphed. Great message to send out there.

Yeah, that party was kind of a hot mess. Tina's behavior was so ridiculous I just assumed it was the writers forcing the plot so that Sonya would sleep with Martin. Because there's no other reason why that would happen. Sigh. I hate when people act out of character just to drive plot. It's irritating. (Although I did kind of like Rebecca telling Tina about what Sonya did because that's totally in character for her!)

And yeah, this is EastEnders. Kat and Alfie are going to have… maybe ONE episode of happiness with the money before things go horribly wrong.

Do people in England have to pay taxes on winnings?  I wonder just how much of the money they actually get.  If they were smart (HA!), they would buy a house and invest the rest but I doubt that will happen.

I think Tina's behavior was worse than Sonia's.  Seriously, she talked about Sonia's rack in front of her daughter and mother.

Yeah, wouldn't they have to pay tax on the winnings? Seemed optimistic for Alfie to offer Mick $900K! :D

And oh my God, that ending! I literally gasped out loud and put my hand over my mouth. In public. On the subway. 

Wow. I can't say I saw that coming! After Linda's fall, I naturally assumed there would be all this drama getting her to the hospital and she'd find she'd lost the baby. Of course, once everyone else started congregating at the hospital, I should've known that they wouldn't go through with killing the baby in front of all those people. Plus, there's WAY more drama to be wrung out of Dean lurking around like a creeper wanting to see his son. (Who I really really hope is Mick's even though it's really unlikely)

At least we have some time before the baby gets released from the hospital and we have to endure Dean kidnapping it… :-/

Where the f%#k does Dean get off calling Linda a "lying whore"???  Why is he so bound and determined that he's the father of Linda's baby? 

I hope the fact that Linda's baby seems healthy despite being early means that she was actually farther along than she thought.  That would mean Mick would definitely be the father.  With Lee's remark about his "half-brother" at the end of the episode, I'm sure we'll see plenty of drama before we find out the real father.

I really liked Mick's scenes last night, both with Buster and Linda.  He's gone around in circles recently with this anger toward Dean and Shirley, but last night I think he finally understood that said anger was truly getting the best of him.  I'm glad he and Buster finally got to bond and bit, and being so attentive to Linda during the birth was very sweet.

Ronnie's right - she didn't *shoot* Carl White.  I feel as though she, um, left out some crucial details there, though.

Did Phil say that Vincent's dad was a head case, or did I hear that wrong?  Who is Vincent's dad and how does Phil know him?

I can't believe I'm siding with Shirley's gang, but YES! GOD, YES! DO THE STUPID DNA TEST SO WE CAN MOVE THIS ALONG!

Either it's Mick's baby and then they can tell Dean to go do one (preferably far, far away from Albert Square) or it'll be Dean's and he'll become so insufferable that I'll wish someone would murder him for real.

But let's just move this along already!