Type keyword(s) to search

Eastenders (BBC) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yes - we will find out tomorrow.  Here's the description of the episode from the website -  "It's been ten months since Lucy Beale was murdered. In this hour-long episode, brutal truths about who killed her will finally be revealed. With many names still in the frame, who did kill Lucy?"

Then there is a second episode after that one "EastEnders goes back in time to Good Friday 2014. In this special flashback episode, viewers finally have a chance to see exactly what happened to Lucy on that fateful night. This episode fills in the blanks and answers questions that have been haunting the residents of Walford for almost a year."

Heh, imagine if someone had screwed up at the BBC and had the description for tomorrow as "Tracy revealed as killer".    I think I also knew the date from the woman Graham talked about that has the date marked on her calendar. 

Cindy is so tiny - could she move Lucy on her own?  Not that Lucy wasn't tiny herself.  Gah.  Just tell us already!!  Though, Denise was living there at the time - that should keep her on the list. 

Heh, I think I've guessed everyone at some point which means I will be proven right tomorrow! 

I think Jane helped move Lucy to the common, I just don't know why she would do that, even if it was Cindy?

OOOOh tonight's episode takes it down to Jane, Ian & Cindy. We now know Abi didn't do it!

IMO Jane was about to confess her part in it to Ian when Peter walked in (followed by Cindy) demanding answers, so we know it wasn't Peter, and if Jane was about to confess to Ian we know it wasn't Ian. Dun, dun, DUN!! Which leaves Cindy & Jane!! Who else could've/would've been in the Beale house that night to kill Lucy? Out of the remaining suspects, who else being the killer would have as big an impact?

Can't wait till tomorrow!!

Also; what the heck Phil?!?! SPIT IT OUT MAN! Gah.

Edited by SilverStormm
Spoiler tagged out of consideration

Denise was in the house that night, if I recall correctly, but I am really hoping that she didn't have anything to do with it.

I hope I was not the only one a little disconcerted by Bobby Beale talking about Poo(h).  Took me a minute to figure out what that reading was all about!

Jo Joyner's "How's Adam?" gaffe.  Her face after was priceless.  Guess that's the danger of live television!  Laurie Brett seemed to cover for it quite well.

Jo Joyner's "How's Adam?" gaffe.  Her face after was priceless.  Guess that's the danger of live television!  Laurie Brett seemed to cover for it quite well.

Ha, I legit thought "who the hell is Adam??" and tried to think if there was a character onscreen that I was forgetting when she said that.

My money is now on Cindy as the killer with Jane having helped her move the body.

Denise was in the house that night, if I recall correctly, but I am really hoping that she didn't have anything to do with it.

I hope I was not the only one a little disconcerted by Bobby Beale talking about Poo(h).  Took me a minute to figure out what that reading was all about!

Ha, I legit thought "who the hell is Adam??" and tried to think if there was a character onscreen that I was forgetting when she said that.

My money is now on Cindy as the killer with Jane having helped her move the body.

BIB = I thought the exact same thing - is she was referring to someone else I've missed?! Hahaha that is too funny!! *Goes back to re-watch*

Denise was in the house yeah you are quite right, but Emma was definitely not talking to Denise in the park that day no way....her tone was all wrong to be speaking to a fellow adult, which in my mind rules Denise out.

So, how is Adam? Bless Jo Joyner but it was a funny moment though. I'm not Tanya's biggest fan but she was alright in that episode nonetheless.

Liked that Abi actually told Tanya about Max/Lucy (the latter didn't seem fazed at all) but she was a right cold little madam when admitting she wished she had killed Lucy though.

The ending of the episode made it look like it was going to be Beale and possibily not Peter. So either Cindy or Bobby then.

Starting to think there is something to those Kathy rumours given how quickly Phil shutdown telling Ian anything when Ben arrived too.

What was with the Poo stuff as well in the episode?

Kat is terrible in these episodes. I just don't give a ¤¤¤¤ about her and every scene she dragged down though the bench scene with Stacey was good enough.

We don't need more kids on the square and Lauren and Peter are obviously not ready to become parents either.

Good scenes with Dot and Ronnie in this episode as well.

Looking forward to the big reveal tonight.

I'm still convinced that it's not ANYONE in that room and it's yet another misdirect like the Abi moment at the end of Tuesday's episode. As soon as someone in a mystery says "It must be someone in this room!" I know it's not anybody in that room. :)

I didn't realize watching the Tuesday episode, but when I read that you can tell the live inserts by the #EELive tag in the corner of the screen, I kept an eye out on Wednesday. And if you didn't have that tag, you honestly wouldn't know what was taped and what was live. It's pretty seamless. I couldn't believe they were blending live wedding scenes with taped wedding scenes. It seems that anything involving Bobby was pre-taped (likely for child labor laws?) and everything else was live. There were only two gaffes I noticed, the Adam mention (my husband hasn't been watching as long as me, and asked who Adam was and I said I had no idea) and the bit when Laurie Brett laughed when they cut to Jane asking the officiant to repeat the vows she's supposed to repeat. I suppose someone made her laugh right before they went live.

Still, an impressive feat of production to make it look so seamless. I didn't even notice anything going weird with the hair and makeup or wardrobe! (Which is really impressive as a recent episode had Sharons' hair close but not quite because scenes in the episode were clearly taped on different days)

I honestly don't know who to suspect at this point. It could be anyone. I just hope it makes sense. If it is Jane, that would suck, but it would at least make more sense than Cindy. I don't see Cindy moving Lucy's body, and I REALLY don't see Jane helping Cindy move Lucy's body to the Commons.

It seems to me that anyone could have walked into the house so it doesn't have to be someone living there.   I'm trying to remember when Denise started drinking so much - she could have done it and not remember.  

Oh, its probably Janine.  Its always Janine. 

I know Tanya and Christian's returns make sense because of the wedding, and that Janine would have no earthly reason to show up in Walford right now, but damned if I wouldn't squeal with delight if she came back for the anniversary!

I thought it was sweet that the reading was from AA Milne.  I really love his poems.

All I heard was "poo" and it took me a second to realize that he was saying "Pooh".

I am going to be kind of disappointed if it is Cindy or Bobby after all this buildup.

I know Tanya and Christian's returns make sense because of the wedding, and that Janine would have no earthly reason to show up in Walford right now, but damned if I wouldn't squeal with delight if she came back for the anniversary!

I'd be fine with Janine driving into the Square, running down the show's most annoying character [insert your choice here], and being all, "Bitch is back."

• Love 2

I wonder if we'll see Christian interact with the Masood family, or if he says anything about why Syed didn't come along?  I always liked Christian and thought that he and Jane had a very sweet brother-sister relationship.

Criminy, did Phil and Lauren both attend a life-changing seminar on the merits of dragging news out as long as possible?  At least Lauren seemed to tell Peter based on the last scene yesterday.  Phil will probably keep being coy if what he knows has nothing to do with Lucy.  I really hope Kathy hasn't come back from the dead.  I could buy Phil's news to be something about Kathy, but the idea that she's been gone all this time and has never once reached out to Ian, Ben, or anyone else she knew in the Square is just ludicrous.

I kind of hope Mick pulls a Prisoners-esque kidnapping/torture on Dean.  It would fit with the storyline - Mick knows Dean raped Linda and is gutted that he can't do much to protect her from him - and I think we'd get to the bottom of exactly what made Dean go down this road. 

Can't wait to find out the killer! 

coughBencough.  Though to be fair, since he lost the Arches, he has been less annoying. 

I find that Ben is fine if he just stands there and looks cute. It's when he opens his mouth and/or actually does something he tends to get on my nerves.

But at this point, if Janine was going to come roaring into the square and mow someone down, I'd vote for it to be Kat. That girl is a hot mess, and I can't take much more of it. (Especially since they don't do much with the makeup to make her look burned, so all her self-pity comes off as really unnecessary.)

My nerves are shot after watching that.

As much as I instantly thought I KNEW IT when Jane was revealed, I still think she may be covering up for someone so I am holding off until after the flashback (and maybe even tomorrow's live episode) for the full exhale.

Edited by Decider

Bobby.  Really?  BOBBY?  I am going to wait and see what happens with tomorrow's live episode but if his was the blow that killed her, that feels like a really jacked up way to end 10 months of buildup.  Emma's confrontation in the park had to have been Jane.  And let us not even speak to how Billy's character has now been assassinated with him lusting after a teenager who he's known for her whole life suddenly and out of the blue. Just...ugh.  Nice callback to Den Watts with the gun in the bouquet of flowers.  And what was all that business with Ben, Jay and Lucy? One more episode to go this week.  Let's see how it goes.

Edited to remove spoiler tags the day after airing.

Edited by Decider

Hour Long episode

So, er Kathy's alive then? That was pretty obvious, wasn't it?

Nice recreation of the first scene in the episode as well. Would they really send Dot to jail though? Even Keeble didn't seem to know how to react when she confessed about killing Nick.

They set up a future Stacey/Martin pairing in this episode as well.

Kat's scenes were still a low point. I get why she's acting out but it doesn't stop those scenes being irritating nonetheless though.

Vincent's gonna be Kim's baby daddy, isn't he? Certainly looked like it here.

Dean has be dead as well, right?

Good ending scene with Ian and Jane too.

Flashback episode

Can we all agree that Ben is awful? Ugh, I really want him to go away. So he has no problem stealing from his niece the night she dies and Jay does little to actually stop him as well.

The Lucy and Max scenes were great. I loved that comment she made about how he liked them young and she wasn't going to stay that way forever.

Abi casually admitting to smacking Lucy should be a hint to Max that she's unhinged as well.

For a moment I thought it was going to be Denise as the killer when she tackled Lucy to the ground.

Bobby was a good reveal though. Makes sense that Jane would cover it up.

Nice they set up Ronnie and Vincent stuff there too and it was nice enough seeing Rainie again I suppose.

Whitney was a bit annoying in the episode even if she had good reason to hate Lucy.

Heh, a young woman in California twitter handle is bobbiebeale and couldn't figure out why she kept getting tweets accusing her of killing Lucy.   http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02kfb4f?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_5_live&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=radio_and_music

Also, apparently there was a contest you could enter to win a trip to the set by guessing the killer and Bobby wasn't included in the list.  People aren't very happy about that.

Edited by M. Darcy

Why oh why is the American destination for all Eastenders characters always in Florida?

I've been wondering that! Is that common for English people to constantly head to Florida for vacation and/or "I have to get out of town quickly" getaways? Are there no other warm-weather destinations that people might go?

Abi casually admitting to smacking Lucy should be a hint to Max that she's unhinged as well.

Plus her smirking "I wish I had killed her" confession in the live episode. And all because Lucy was sleeping with her dad? I mean, understandable that that would throw you for a huge loop, but so much so that you want to murder someone?

I'm not sure how I feel about the Bobby reveal. On the one hand, it was surprising enough (though when Jane got that last phonecall I was pretty sure it was going to turn out that Bobby was the killer) that I cackled out loud, but thinking on it some more, other than the shock of the reveal, it's a bit of a letdown. I was hoping they'd really live up to all of the spooky "there's a killer among them" tagline stuff but in the end it was all down to a kid who was angry and didn't seem to realize what he'd done. That also annoys me, that we got a flashback of the whole night except the actual murder. Annoying. And annoying that there were no hints - either in the actual episodes leading up to Lucy's death or even really in the flashback episode - that Bobby was so bothered by what was going on at home or so angry at Lucy that he could do something like this. Especially with the big deal that was made out of "the final list of suspects" and such, it's kind of annoying that Bobby was never among them. And I'm still wondering how Les and Pam got on the suspect list.

That said, I liked everything else about these two episodes. They really packed in every possible soap trope they could into the live episode - a wedding, a murder, solving a murder, deaths, someone being arrested for murder, someone giving birth, someone's pregnant, back from the dead, and nearly blowing up the pub. I especially loved the totally random group of about 10 people sitting around Dot's house plotting to cover up Nick's death. I'm looking forward to hearing more from Jane about Lucy's death and covering it up, though I'm also going to need more explanation about how Emma, Lauren, and then everyone else put the pieces together to figure out where it happened and who did it, because that still doesn't make much sense to me.

• Love 1

I've been wondering that! Is that common for English people to constantly head to Florida for vacation and/or "I have to get out of town quickly" getaways? Are there no other warm-weather destinations that people might go?

Not only visiting, but living there!  Michelle and David live there, as do Jane's parents.  Ben and Jay apparently wanted to go to Miami.  No one ever seems to go to any other places, even large cities.  No LA, no NYC, no Chicago.  Always...Florida. 

HOLY. CRAP.

That was some seriously impressive television. I'm still amazed at how well they were able to blend the live and pre-taped sequences. And the flashback episode was fantastic, showing how everything went down while adding in some new twists here and there.

The opening was a great callback to the first episode "Cor, it stinks in here!" Even if it was a bit random for Stacey, Martin and Kush (?!) to decide to bust into the flat to check it out and see if it's habitable IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. Kush being involved in that and the subsequent cover-up (or attempt at cover-up, really) was so random. I guess they're just trying to squeeze him into storylines wherever they can?

I had forgotten about the gun in the flowers, Decider, thanks for reminding me. Although I was unable to remember why Ronnie wanted a gun at that time last year. Did we see that? And this was just showing where she got it?

The one thing I still don't get is what the hell was Billy doing with those photos of Lucy. When he pulled out the folder, and looked at the pictures, I was like, "Oh yeah, that weird folder. What WAS that all about?" But then he just hid it under the counter where it was eventually found and I was confused all over again. Did Billy have a creepy obsession with Lucy? Where did that come from?

When Kathy got out of that car, I nearly fell off my couch. Even having heard the rumors here, I was still blown away that they actually did it. Now I'm curious why she's stayed away so long. I mean, now she obviously wants to come home and Phil won't let her, but clearly she could've come back beforehand… right?

And then when they showed Jane coming down the stairs, I was flabbergasted. My husband was all "I knew it! I told you all along it was Jane!" Because she'd been acting so guilty all week, especially after getting Lauren's card. But I just couldn't wrap my head around it because what kind of motive would Jane have to kill Lucy? It would've had to have been an accident, but if that's what happened, I couldn't figure why Jane would hide her body up at the Commons. So we watched the entire flashback episode, and Jane was being all super sweet to Lucy and I was more confused than ever. 

I will say that after Ian checked on the kids and saw Lucy's bed empty, when it cut to Cindy and Bobby and he opened his little eyes, I had a moment where I thought "Ooh, wouldn't it be awesome if Bobby turned out to be like Damian and totally evil?" I wish I'd said it out loud at the time, because when Jane turned around and saw Bobby standing there holding the jewelry box, I almost fell off the couch again!

Very much looking forward to the fully live episode tonight where I'm hoping they'll tie everything together. And I'm sure they're not going to turn Bobby into the police. Also because that would drop Jane right in it, too. I'm also hoping that Dot gets to come home because I hate that they arrested her for letting Nick die. That was a public service, right there!

That also annoys me, that we got a flashback of the whole night except the actual murder. Annoying. 

I guess it makes sense that they wouldn't necessarily want to make the kid actor act out the scene of violently striking someone, especially as a live insert, but I do think we need more context about exactly what happened - did he hit Lucy right off, did they argue, was she being a bitch to him, etc.  Jane will hopefully provide some of that tonight.

I've been a very on-and-off watcher, but...does it seem like Denise is always getting shit on?

Although I was unable to remember why Ronnie wanted a gun at that time last year. Did we see that? And this was just showing where she got it?

I think Ronnie wanted the gun because they were being threatened by Carl White's family?  And then Sharon ended up finding the gun?

did he hit Lucy right off, did they argue, was she being a bitch to him, etc.  

It's Lucy. Of COURSE she was being a bitch to him.

It did kind of crack me up that in the flashback episode she kept getting beat up by everyone. Loved when Abi was all "What? I smacked Lucy around? So?" Because I mean, really. Who WOULDN'T want to give Lucy a good slap? ;)

It's Lucy. Of COURSE she was being a bitch to him.

LOL.  I do think, in all the "poor dead Lucy!" stuff, her being a nightmarish shrew most of the time got buried a bit.  Not that that excuses Bobby or anyone else killing her, of course.

Edited by TeeVee329

I think Ronnie wanted the gun because they were being threatened by Carl White's family?  And then Sharon ended up finding the gun?

Oh, was Carl then? I thought he was WAY before Lucy's murder. Although was this the gun that ended up being used by Shirley to shoot Phil? God, it's all blending together...

And TeeVee329, you're right. Murder isn't justified. But a good slap is! :D

Oh, was Carl then? I thought he was WAY before Lucy's murder. Although was this the gun that ended up being used by Shirley to shoot Phil? God, it's all blending together...

Ronnie killed Carl on New Year's 2014.  But around the time Lucy died, she and the Mitchells were being harassed by Carl's family (I think they kidnapped Roxy's kid or Lola's kid or something) and that's why Ronnie got the gun.

And yes, Sharon found the gun and kept it for security after her attack.  And then Shirley found it and shot Phil with it.

Edited by TeeVee329

Oh good. That's what I thought, but my memory isn't what it used to be (hell, it honestly never was!), so I wasn't sure. Now it all tracks in my head.

So there's just Billy's creepy stalker photos of Lucy that needs explaining. Ugh.

Bobby.  Really?  BOBBY?  I am going to wait and see what happens with tomorrow's live episode but if his was the blow that killed her, that feels like a really jacked up way to end 10 months of buildup.  Emma's confrontation in the park had to have been Jane.  And let us not even speak to how Billy's character has now been assassinated with him lusting after a teenager who he's known for her whole life suddenly and out of the blue. Just...ugh.  Nice callback to Den Watts with the gun in the bouquet of flowers.  And what was all that business with Ben, Jay and Lucy? One more episode to go this week.  Let's see how it goes.

Agree with all of this...

It feels like a cop out considering Bobby was never even on the list of suspects EE themselves presented to us. So yeah, so much for a 'Broadchurch like storyline/reveal' - not impressed with it at all - I say "boo EE boo!!".

Now, I'm more interested in the Kathy returning storyline! :D

The problem with the way that EE did this storyline was that it was NEVER going to result in a Broadchurch kind of story/reveal. The revelations and clues were so random and doled out so haphazardly, there was no way you could put any of the pieces together to come up with a solution. I, like everyone else, was just picking someone at random going with my gut feeling. Whoever they picked was going to be a surprise simply because they didn't give enough clues to put it together yourself. I mean, sure, it works in retrospect when you watch the flashback episode, but it was always going to be disappointing. 

But as far as launching a new storyline, Bobby being the killer is WAY more interesting than anyone else it could have been.

• Love 2

I don't really hold a soap like "EastEnders" to the same kind of standard as something like "Broadchurch".  Apples and oranges, IMO.  

Bobby had means, motive, and opportunity and that's enough for me.  It being someone completely random, completely unconnected to Lucy - like, I dunno, Kush - would have been more of a cheat.  And there's other pieces that now make sense, like Jane whisking him out of Walford for a while right after Lucy's death.

In other news, I don't think Dean's dead at all.  I do think he's probably going to blackmail Mick and maybe force him to get Linda to retract the rape charge.

Edited by TeeVee329

Having had a chance to sleep on it, I am still disappointed in Bobby being the culprit but I do recognize where DTC is trying to go with this.  In an interview on the EE Facebook page after the flashback episode, he mentioned a book called "We Need to Talk About Kevin" which deals with a mother trying to deal with the fact that her young son has sociopathic tendencies.  If that's the route the writers are taking with Bobby, it may have been less of a letdown if there had been some indication prior to last night that he was capable of that kind of behavior, like Steven Beale and even Ben.  Bobby has barely registered as a character on the show for the whole time he has been on as an older child -- in fact, I don't ever recall him interacting much with Lucy, even when she was taking care of him during Ian's breakdown and disappearance.  I can recognize the impact that it will have on the Beales going forward, though -- Ian having to raise Bobby knowing that he had a hand in Lucy's death, dealing with Jane's part in the coverup, Peter's relationship with Lauren being affected, etc.

I still am baffled as to why no one upstairs heard anything that was going on.  Denise had a bottle of wine on the nightstand next to her, so her being knocked out kind of makes sense.  Neither Ian or Cindy heard any kind of commotion from downstairs while Lucy's body was being moved?  I guess that will be explained in tonight's live episode.  I am thinking that Jane may have got Max to help her move the body to the Commons and that could be why he suspected Abi was at fault.

Dean is not dead.  Dot is going to stand trial for her part in Nick's death and I assume that Jim is going to die offscreen sometime soon, I can't see the show not addressing John Bardon's passing.  Kathy won't be back for a while but she is coming back.

Edited by Decider

So it was Bobby who put the music box under the Christmas tree? No, it must have been Cindy. She's the one who found it. Therefore I think it will turn out that Bobby covered for Cindy, she's the murderer and whoever entered her name will get a chance for the studio tour.

Cindy opened it because the tag on the gift was for Beth, right?  I actually thought for a minute that Emma may have done it just to see the reaction that unwrapping it would get.  She was at the Beales' house that morning.  (Probably a bit of a stretch, but given the events of the last 24 hours, nothing in this storyline would surprise me.)

Edited by Decider
Yep, Cindy opened it. Were we supposed to believe that Bobby wrapped it up and put it under the tree? Please. No way.

Unless he did it thinking it would be nice for Beth to have a keepsake from her aunt?  I don't know.  I don't think we'll ever know.  Now that the Beales have closed ranks, this storyline is pretty much done aside from how they will deal with Peter leaving soon.

I don't know how Bobby didn't hear them all shouting about not telling him he had killed Lucy, but no one actually heard her body being taken out of the house so there you go.

After watching today's episode, my feelings are still the same about Bobby but I am more at peace with it now.  Well done by all of the actors involved given that the episode was done completely live.

They did a really good job considering they only had a day(?) to rehearse half of the scenes. 

The ending was appropriately cheesy, and I'm glad that they found a way to get the fireworks to fit story wise. 

After watching today's episode, my feelings are still the same about Bobby but I am more at peace with it now.  Well done by all of the actors involved given that the episode was done completely live.

I agree with these sentiments. The fully live episode was great, I forgot I was watching a live episode for a good portion of it. Cheesy is a good word for the end, but it was great cheese and I thought it was fab. Adam Woodyatt had me in tears again this evening when Lucy's note was being read; he really is a very good actor.

Congrats to all the cast involved this week, but this evening especially.

Enjoying the backstage live aftershow too!

The moment that got me was it dawning on Ian and Peter that Jane had put Lucy's body in the trunk of the car and Ian barreling through the door into the kitchen so he could retch.

And there was Cindy's line to Peter about not understanding the others' desire to cover for Bobby because he doesn't have a child, ironic of course because we know that Lauren's pregnant with his baby. 

Most of the episode was great - Jane recounting what had happened, including how she moved the body and Pater and Ian's reactions to it were all excellent, and I'm only a little embarrassed to admit that I cried as Cindy read Lucy's note, which should be a lot of comfort to Ian on the one hand considering he'd had to live with the pain of his last conversation with his daughter having been a fight, but also so, so sad with her writing that she'd be asleep in her bed and asking him to come check on her.

The thing that bugs me, though, is Bobby was 10, not 4. A 10-year-old should probably be able to understand what they've done when someone they've just hit is lying motionless on the floor, especially when told the next day that that person is dead. And even if he didn't understand it that night, eventually he's going to be an adult and he's going to think back on the night that Lucy died and realize what a huge coincidence it is that he hit Lucy in the head, she crumpled to the floor and didn't get up, and the next day he was told that she'd been killed.

And I get why the family is circling the wagons, but it's a shame that no one (except maybe Peter) is considering the fact that if he could hit someone hard enough to kill them at the age of ten and never faces any consequences for it or grasps what he's done, it's likely that he'll do it again. It'll be interesting to see if they go down that road with him. I'm going back and forth a little on this - on the one hand, I wanted a reveal that would immediately create more unfolding drama, that would have a huge ripple effect on the family and the square, and with this it feels like things are kind of settled, wrapped up. On the other hand, there's a lot of potential for a slow burn storyline to develop in the future with Bobby becoming more violent or having future violent outbursts and Ian and Jane realizing that they made a mistake in covering up what he did.

• Love 1

The thing that bugs me, though, is Bobby was 10, not 4. A 10-year-old should probably be able to understand what they've done when someone they've just hit is lying motionless on the floor, especially when told the next day that that person is dead.

Especially since Jane said that Bobby tried himself to wake up Lucy for a while before he called her. 

I mean, I guess it's possible that what happened traumatized him so much that he blocked it out.