Type keyword(s) to search

Eastenders (BBC) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Abi's 'things die' was genuinely unsettling as well. I did suspect she might have bumped off Lucy before. Now I'm almost certain of it.

Yeah. My husband mentioned her as a suspect early on, but I dismissed it. She was too peripheral to the whole thing. But that moment WAS quite unsettling, and made me suspect he could be on to something...

Okay, I started to watch that trailer, but then I saw how long it was and how much it was spoiling, so I stopped! One of my favorite things about watching EastEnders is not knowing all the casting and storyline spoilers. It makes the show so much more fun to watch when you don't know what's coming.

But yes, that episode was very distressing. Not quite sure how you make Dean a viable character going forward after this. That was pretty ugly. 

Although just ONCE on a soap, I would love to see the woman immediately call the police and do everything right. I know there wouldn't be as much drama in it, but it's always so frustrating to me to watch the woman cower in fear and feel guilty and the guy totally get away with it. (For a while, at least.) Of course, I am not a woman, so I can't even begin to put myself in that situation to understand the emotions involved. But as a viewer it drives me up the wall!

• Love 1

re: the trailer -

Finally - Nick is back! That took a long time. Well, he's back this year at least. I hope that the pregnancy test isn't Linda's. Maybe Lauren's since the actress is pregnant in real life.

Poor Linda.  I agree, I was hoping that she would go straight to the police but sadly, what she did was probably very common to people who have been raped. 

Edited by M. Darcy

I agree, and I think all of the actors involved did really well.  Thankfully it wasn’t as brutal as I thought it would be, but it was still deeply chilling seeing Linda in the bathtub with the bleach and how she acted after Mick came home.  It wasn’t so much the pain and fear, but Linda’s “WTF just happened and what do I do now????” look really sold it for me. 

I’d gotten the impression from some of the spoilers that Dean would have no understanding that what he did was wrong.  When he touched Linda’s cheek before leaving and said he wouldn’t tell Mick, the spoilers seemed to be right.  But given his reactions after – how he looked back up at Linda’s window and when he hesitated talking to Mick – he knew deep down he’d done something very, very wrong.  I’m sure Dean will sell it to himself the next morning as, “well, we were both drunk and had sex, things happen,” but I think at first he was just as stunned as Linda that he’d done something so horrible. 

Purely from the storyline perspective, Dean raping Linda actually fits in well with the other BIG Carter storylines that are going on now – Shirley on the run, Mick is Shirley’s son and no one and everyone knows it, Mick doesn’t yet know about the rape and will probably go mental when he find out, Mick and Linda not being actually married, the tension between Linda and Mick as she’s been hiding Dean’s harassment, and the Tosh/Tina/Dean sperm donor story. 

Then, of course, it’s been revealed that Linda will be pregnant and will naturally be freaked out not knowing the baby’s father, if she’ll keep the baby under the circumstances despite wanting one before, as well as both Linda’s and Mick’s mothers (or grandmother, in Mick’s case) coming to the Square soon

, I’m guessing everything will weave together showing just how dysfunctional the Carters really are.  If it’s well-written, it should be an interesting watch.

Does anyone else get the impression that Babe is actually Shirley’s mother?  The conversation they had last night just before Shirley ran sold me on it.  So there’s another Carter secret.  By now the Carter family tree has to be damn near trapezoidal.

Edited by eejm

I really don't know where they're going with this storyline, but I can already tell it's going to be super-uncomfortable to watch. Linda is a mess, and Dean is trying to act like nothing bad happened. And I mean, how the hell didn't ANYONE in her family pick up on Linda's mood? That is NOT a hangover. Guess Mick is in the running for Worst Husband Of The Year?

I really don't know where they're going with this storyline, but I can already tell it's going to be super-uncomfortable to watch. Linda is a mess, and Dean is trying to act like nothing bad happened. And I mean, how the hell didn't ANYONE in her family pick up on Linda's mood? That is NOT a hangover. Guess Mick is in the running for Worst Husband Of The Year?

No kidding.  I know that they've only seen her for a few hours, but she's been so quiet and obviously out of it.  She isn't complaining of a headache or stomach ache or any other symptom someone hung over might have.  I suppose when Linda bolted from the kitchen when Dean sat down her kids could have thought she was running to the bathroom. 

With everything Mick said in the cafe to Tina while Dean was attacking Linda (how Tina needed him now and not Linda, no one should bring a baby into the world if they aren't 100% sure about it) and how he wouldn't listen to her the morning after, saying he needed her before storming off to see Sharon, I'm surprised no one was crushed by an anvil. 

Okay, I'm sorry. But when freakin' PAM THE FLOWER STALL OWNER WHO IS BARELY EVER ON THE SHOW recognizes that something is seriously amiss with Linda while her entire family is just disappointed in her party-planning skills (although clearly not in her sandwich-making abilities - have you ever SEEN so many sandwiches?), there is something terribly wrong with the writing. 

I mean, it sort of looked like Nancy was twigging to something for a little bit, but then she got distracted by her 21st birthday party and that was pretty much the end of that thread. 

But if her screaming "GET OUT!" to everyone in the room doesn't at least get a couple of her family members to suspect something might be up with dear old Linda, I'm going to have a serious problem with this show.

Seriously.  She's been wearing sweats for days (? - how many days has in been since the rape in Eastenders land), hasn't been wearing makeup, is either walking like she is half asleep or lies in bed for hours, cries at nothing and only yesterday does Mick ask her if something is wrong.   At least he finally did something and called her mother. 

So...Max is in love with Emma and to show his love, he calls the police to report the affair. 

Looks like they are finally answering my question about where the heck is Martin. He is returning but with a different actor playing him.

Edited by M. Darcy

The writers have got to be pursuing a mental illness angle with Dean, especially with the question of what happened to him in prison.  It seems as though soap rapists usually gloat or otherwise verbally harass their victim.  Dean, on the other hand, has taken a much creepier, delusional approach by choosing to believe he and Linda are having an affair. 

Next week, Dean will tell Linda that he thinks they should quit their "affair," giving even more creedence to the fact that Dean is really coming unglued.  It's been revealed that there will be no trial,

so my thought is that when the rape is revealed Dean will probably end up in a mental hospital.  I think there's a good chance that whatever happened to him in prison before will come out as well as a reason for his mental decline. 

But before all that happens, Mick and Dean have to find out they're really brothers, Shirley has to pop back up somewhere, Mick has to find out about the rape and probably be livid, and Linda

will find out she's pregnant.

That's a lot of territory to cover leading up to Christmas.

Oh, see, I didn't get mental illness angle at all. I mean, not to the point of being hospitalized for it. I just assumed that when he realizes Linda thinks he raped her, he'll deny it and then slowly come to the realization and feel terrible about it. Though I can't imagine that would redeem the character enough to keep him on the canvas interacting with everyone. I mean, would YOU want to be seen with him after that?

I'm pretty spoiler-free, so I don't know who this creepy dude is spying on Peter and Lauren. Or is it just Peter? Because if I lived around there, you can bet your bottom dollar that Peter would totally catch me staring at him a lot! ;-) But do people who are spoiled know where this is going? And if you don't, thoughts? Because I have NO idea.

I haven't seen any spoilers, but my guess is that it may have to do with Peter's admission to Lola a while back about when he was living in Devon, his friend drowned while they were out swimming and he never told the friend's family the details about what happened.  That has never been spoken of again since his admission.

Edited by Decider

Okay, I'm gonna need them to move this Linda storyline along now. It's getting SO frustrating. I thought she might open up to her mom, but NOPE. I mean, Mick has to be putting something together in his head, right? She won't even let him touch her. The problem is, I'm pretty sure Linda's going to end up preggers, and then she'll have to just pretend it's Mick's and Dean will continue to walk around free. (Although if Mick can put two and two together he'll realize that he can't be the father because she hasn't let him touch her in ages)

Also, why the hell is Emma's ex-fiancee stalking Lauren and Peter? SO WEIRD.

I think Elaine suspects Dean did something to Linda.  Elaine definitely picked up on the fact that Linda was way too upset just to be tired, and she saw when Linda backed away from Dean at the bar.  Then Elaine followed Dean into the bathroom and she said that she'd make sure he'd never use "that" again if he hurt Linda.  My guess is that Elaine suspects some unwanted contact (like the groping or forced kiss Dean did in the weeks before), but her mind hasn't jumped to rape. 

If Linda is pregnant, Mick could be the father if she got pregnant just before the rape.  I really don't know how this is going to go down, only that Shirley's eventual return and the revelation that Dean and Mick are actually brothers will most definitely play how everyone reacts to the situation.  With all the recent references to Mick's supposed temper, I'm thinking he's going to really give Dean a beating.

Okay, first off, the new market trader is well fit. I have a crush on Kush. (or however it's spelled) Shabnam doesn't deserve him. She's so annoying.

Phil is back from the hospital for ONE DAY and already bullying everyone around him. Guess some things never change. And what the hell with the "You can't date a copper because you killed a man" thing? I mean, I kind of get it, but hey, just don't mention it. And then what does Ronnie do? She mentions it! O.o Not "Hey, I can't date you because you're a copper" but "I killed a man." And no lead-up, either! Yikes! Although this gives Charlie the perfect opportunity to finally tell her that he's actually just a janitor. (I'd totally forgotten that everyone thought he was a policeman until this episode where everyone was mentioning it again. Did he get another janitor job somewhere? Or is he still working at that old folks home? I thought he got fired… but he has to go SOMEWHERE every day to earn some money)

And still, the Linda storyline makes no discernible progress. Sigh. Hey, at least she's out of her tracksuit and wearing some makeup again… That's progress, right?

Okay, first off, the new market trader is well fit. I have a crush on Kush. (or however it's spelled) Shabnam doesn't deserve him. She's so annoying.

Phil is back from the hospital for ONE DAY and already bullying everyone around him. Guess some things never change. And what the hell with the "You can't date a copper because you killed a man" thing? I mean, I kind of get it, but hey, just don't mention it. And then what does Ronnie do? She mentions it! O.o Not "Hey, I can't date you because you're a copper" but "I killed a man." And no lead-up, either! Yikes! Although this gives Charlie the perfect opportunity to finally tell her that he's actually just a janitor. (I'd totally forgotten that everyone thought he was a policeman until this episode where everyone was mentioning it again. Did he get another janitor job somewhere? Or is he still working at that old folks home? I thought he got fired… but he has to go SOMEWHERE every day to earn some money)

And still, the Linda storyline makes no discernible progress. Sigh. Hey, at least she's out of her tracksuit and wearing some makeup again… That's progress, right?

I don't know how 3/4 of EE characters make enough money to actually survive.  And why doesn't *anyone* commute to a job in another part of the city?  Nope, everyone lives, works, and breathes only on the Square. 

I like Ronnie and Charlie together in principle.  The actors seem to work well, and the characters look right together.  But this has been the weirdest "courtship" ever.  Charlie told Ronnie that he really didn't want anything to do with their baby like a week ago.  Then the next day he wants to be involved.  A few days after that they decide to start dating.  Then after a conversation with Dot, Charlie pops the question and Ronnie responds by telling him she killed someone!  Guess these two aren't interested in any mystery whatsoever.

Alfie is genuinely loathsome. I have no sympathy for him at all. His own stupidity cost him his home and his wife to be scarred. I wish Stacey had smacked him last night.

The Dean/Linda stuff is dragging out. I'm not loving this storyline at all and I'm starting to think it was a bad idea as well.

The Charlie, Ronnie and Dot stuff was brilliant though.

Kush is pretty. That is all. I think I could like the eventual pairing of him and Shabnam.

Mature Stacey is a lot more interesting to watch than shouty Stacey ever was.

Agreed. Stacy now is SO much more tolerable than she ever was before. But then, with Alfie seemingly never having learned his lesson, I guess SOMEONE had to be the adult in that family. :-P

Speaking of, Kat's burns? Not that bad. Seriously. I was expecting her to look much worse. So it's going to be really annoying when she lurks around Walford like the Phantom of the Square not wanting to show her face. Unless someone points out to her that it's not that bad and it's just Kat seeing it as worse than it really is. That would be okay. But I doubt they'll do that.

You know, all these years I have misunderstood Alfie. I thought he was supposed to be a good guy but obviously he's a villain like Dirty Den.  Lets see, he lied to get the original job at the Queen Vic, he dated two sisters at the same time (haven't seen the next episodes yet so who knows what he did during those years), he almost married Roxy even though he was in love with another woman, when said woman got pregnant he didn't do the reasonable thing like get a steady job, when money ran out he burned down the house with checking that someone was in it and now he is breaking into a house after marrying the woman without telling her the truth. Are we supposed to feel sorry for him?  Because seriously, once Kat knew she was pregnant, he should have done something about the future. And, after what he said to Stacy about her tearing families apart.  What an ass.

Finally!  Nick is back. 

I knew Nick was coming back and I knew that had to be him, but when the camera panned up for the reveal I STILL got chills! EXCELLENT!!!

Also, I'm with you on the Alfie hate. He's always been portrayed as a lovable doofus, but right now he's not lovable at all. I mean, COME ON. Everything he does is WRONG. He nearly kills Kat, destroys his family's home, and now he's moving them into a place that they don't even own? He tried this squatting thing once before, and it didn't really work out very well. That realtor is totally going to sell this house and they're going to try and move in and there is going to be DRAMA and I hope Kat kicks him to the curb. (I'd say she should take him for everything that he's got, but he hasn't got a penny to his name)

If you like looking at Kush, you'll really like the next episode. Hot damn!

Can I chime in on the Alfie hate? His speech to Stacey was galling in its hypocrisy, and I don't even like her!

Det. Emma's ex-fiance stalking Lauren is like a pointless sideshow designed purely to prolong the reveal of Lucy's killer until next year. The pool of suspects really should remain within the Square, not random characters who've been introduced after the fact. I hope the killer's identity will be someone who impacts the Square, and by that I mean someone with real ties to its residents. I just hope it won't be Ben! I really like him in this latest incarnation. How cute is he with Johnny? Granny Shirley will have something to say about that, for sure! Better get Johnny into bed before she returns, Ben! But is it just me or is Abi making googly eyes at him? She's looking crazier (and murderous-er) by the minute. Is she unaware of his sexuality? I thought that was settled fairly publicly before Ben was incarcerated for Heather's murder.

Edited by Aymery

Ben telling Abi that he's straight now and it was just a phase he went through didn't really sound likely since he can't keep his eyes off Johnny! :-)

Although Johnny deserves better. Ben is still a little too creepy and intense even in this incarnation. Hopefully they're just playing him that way so he's a viable suspect and once they reveal Lucy's killer as Abi (my prime suspect), the'll calm Ben down a bit.

Phil being a bully still rankles (as does Sharon being the loyal wife… guess she's over the whole Shirley thing?), but I appreciate him giving Charlie the fake money to give to Nick because it'll force Nick's hand. I don't want them to drag this story out too long. (Although moments like Dot finding the cigarette and freaking out while "White Cliffs Of Dover" played in the background gave me chills!)

Ben telling Abi that he's straight now and it was just a phase he went through didn't really sound likely since he can't keep his eyes off Johnny! :-)

Although Johnny deserves better. Ben is still a little too creepy and intense even in this incarnation. Hopefully they're just playing him that way so he's a viable suspect and once they reveal Lucy's killer as Abi (my prime suspect), the'll calm Ben down a bit.

Phil being a bully still rankles (as does Sharon being the loyal wife… guess she's over the whole Shirley thing?), but I appreciate him giving Charlie the fake money to give to Nick because it'll force Nick's hand. I don't want them to drag this story out too long. (Although moments like Dot finding the cigarette and freaking out while "White Cliffs Of Dover" played in the background gave me chills!)

When Ben said that being gay was just a phase for him, even Abi gave him a WTF look.  He seemed certain he was gay after sleeping with Lola.  I wonder what changed his mind?

Johnny and Ben are bound to get together at some point being the only gay male characters on the show and being about the same age.  I think they look cute together, and I like the idea of a good boy-bad boy pairing.

Yeah, Sonia manipulating her daughter was a new low. "Don't follow your dreams! If you go to music school, your parents will divorce!" 

Although I totally feel her trying to kiss Kush after a couple glasses of wine. I wouldn't even need any wine at all! ;-)

You know, it's a shame that Ben is gay (he still is, obviously, even if he's trying to deny it) because he and Abi would make a terrific couple! They could just go around the Square being all intense and creepy together! :-)

• Love 1

Daran Little, one of the writers, tweeted a few weeks ago that he'd just finished off a "duff duff" moment which left him sobbing. I strongly suspect that's Dot finding out about Jim's death. I think that will probably air soon after the 30th anniversary in February.

You know, it's a shame that Ben is gay (he still is, obviously, even if he's trying to deny it) because he and Abi would make a terrific couple! They could just go around the Square being all intense and creepy together! :-)

I think Abi and Ben would make an incredible evil, platonic super couple.  Best friends who would encourage and enable one another to stir shit up in the Square.  

Okay, I'm really seriously going to need some movement on Linda's story. It's been AGES of her moping around, and not letting anyone touch her and falling to pieces at random moments. And now she's pregnant (as we all predicted/feared), so we'll likely have AGES of her moping around about that. At least with a pregnancy, she can't ignore it forever. Eventually Mick will figure out she lied and is pregnant. And then he'll be over the moon and wonder why she isn't. 

And then hopefully the truth will come out. Maybe by March? :-P

I almost felt bad for Tosh when only her mom showed up and it was clear that she was the only parent even willing to make half an effort to be a part of their daughter's life after she revealed she was a lesbian. Almost. But then she threw her temper tantrum at the end and started throwing things and I remembered how she hits Tina and then I'm like, "Yeah, plenty of people have been essentially disowned by their families and DON'T turn into wildly violent people who hit the people they claim to love, so… no."

Also, yay for more shirtless Kush (I wanted to see more of the shoots)! Can we actually buy this calendar anywhere? It seems like a perfect tie-in to raise money for an actual charity!

I almost felt bad for Tosh when only her mom showed up and it was clear that she was the only parent even willing to make half an effort to be a part of their daughter's life after she revealed she was a lesbian. Almost. But then she threw her temper tantrum at the end and started throwing things and I remembered how she hits Tina and then I'm like, "Yeah, plenty of people have been essentially disowned by their families and DON'T turn into wildly violent people who hit the people they claim to love, so… no."

I think Tosh's mom was actually more put off by Tosh's anger than by the fact that she's a lesbian.  I don't think her mom is crazy about that either, but she was trying - she came to lunch, complimented the food, brought Tosh's favorite cake, and got along fairly well with Tina.  It wasn't until Tosh blew up that her mom decided to make a run for it.  

I'd had a tough time understanding exactly why Tosh and Tina are together in the first place until Tosh's mom's visit.  Now it's clear that they are super co-dependent - Tosh is estranged from her family and clings to Tina, while Tina feels guilty at the thought of leaving Tosh all alone.  I think this scene would have been more effective had we seen it a few months back and it would have been easy to do.  Tina could have said something about being happy her family was together in one place again.  Tosh could have been prickly about that comment, and knowing Tosh doesn't speak to her family, Tina could have sought out Tosh's family to extend the olive branch.  If this scene would have happened earlier, I'd have found it easier to understand why Tina was so reluctant to leave after Tosh punched her.

No, Tosh's mom clearly shut down when the baby was mentioned. That set Tosh off onto one of her ragers, and then things got worse and mom bailed. I just hope Tina get get free before she ends up in the hospital or worse. Tina annoyed me when she first showed up, but much like the annoying characters before her (Like Stacey), I've grown rather fond of her.

I don't know why the hell the Cokers are suddenly getting a storyline like this. It's totally coming out of nowhere. And with no build-up, it has no dramatic impact, despite the actress playing Pam doing her best to sell the hell out of it.

Again, why aren't they selling these calendars in reality to raise money for an actual charity? I looked around online and can't seem to find any info to indicate that's what they're doing, but from this episode, it looked like they printed up actual calendars for props, so why not sell them? (Also, WOW that printer works fast, making boxes and boxes of calendars over the weekend!)

It was nice to see Linda almost acting like Old!Linda at the beginning of the episode, but now I get the impression that she slept with Mick just so that when she can't hide her pregnancy anymore she can pretend it's his. Which it isn't, so she's basically going to mope around driving me up the wall for the next nine months. Great. Something to look forward to. :-P

No, Tosh's mom clearly shut down when the baby was mentioned. That set Tosh off onto one of her ragers, and then things got worse and mom bailed. I just hope Tina get get free before she ends up in the hospital or worse. Tina annoyed me when she first showed up, but much like the annoying characters before her (Like Stacey), I've grown rather fond of her.

I don't know why the hell the Cokers are suddenly getting a storyline like this. It's totally coming out of nowhere. And with no build-up, it has no dramatic impact, despite the actress playing Pam doing her best to sell the hell out of it.

Again, why aren't they selling these calendars in reality to raise money for an actual charity? I looked around online and can't seem to find any info to indicate that's what they're doing, but from this episode, it looked like they printed up actual calendars for props, so why not sell them? (Also, WOW that printer works fast, making boxes and boxes of calendars over the weekend!)

It was nice to see Linda almost acting like Old!Linda at the beginning of the episode, but now I get the impression that she slept with Mick just so that when she can't hide her pregnancy anymore she can pretend it's his. Which it isn't, so she's basically going to mope around driving me up the wall for the next nine months. Great. Something to look forward to. :-P

Like I said, I don't think Tosh's mom is thrilled that Tosh is a lesbian.  She didn't acknowledge Tina the first time it was mentioned they were trying for a baby, which is I think indicative of her discomfort with Tosh's and Tina's relationship.  But I do think she accepted Tina's invitation with the intention to mend fences and with hopes of becoming comfortable with the relationship.  The minute after Tosh snapped at her, she hightailed it out of the house.  That's what makes me think that while she isn't crazy about Tosh being lesbian, she's even more put off by Tosh's anger issues. 

As for Linda and Mick, I presume they were still having more or less regular sex until the rape and that he wouldn't doubt he was the father of her baby.  There was no need for Linda to sleep with Mick just for that reason.  I think she did it to convince him that everything truly is OK between them.  I truly believe Linda's prime motivation in all of this is to pretend things are as normal as possible until they actually are normal - sort of a fake it until you make it situation.  While it's tough for the audience to understand why she won't tell Mick (or anyone) about the rape because we know she'd probably receive nothing but support and compassion, Linda isn't convinced of that.  She's not 100% convinced that the rape wasn't her fault and probably figures Mick would place some blame on her.  Even if she does believe she wasn't at fault, it still would change *everything* between them.  Linda and Mick both take a lot of pride in only having been with one another, and even though Mick likely wouldn't blame her for what happened, both would still know that was no longer the case anymore. 

TL;DR - It's frustrating to watch, but I can understand what Linda is thinking and why she isn't telling anyone.

• Love 1

Oh, I get it, too. (Although just once on a soap opera, I would love to see the woman go straight to the cops and get the guy arrested and put in jail ASAP, even if there's less drama in it for the show) It's just frustrating to watch, as you said. Ugh.

Also, why was Sonja so upset at her photo? She didn't look bad! :-) (Well, maybe a bit too much makeup, but whatever…)

Oh, I get it, too. (Although just once on a soap opera, I would love to see the woman go straight to the cops and get the guy arrested and put in jail ASAP, even if there's less drama in it for the show) It's just frustrating to watch, as you said. Ugh.

Also, why was Sonja so upset at her photo? She didn't look bad! :-) (Well, maybe a bit too much makeup, but whatever…)

I think Sonia's upset because of something Martin has been saying to her.  He must really be doing a number on her because I thought she looked cute.

Which months of the calendar have we seen?  I remember Roxy & Aleks, Pam & Mo, Mick & Linda, Sonia, Lola & Stacey, and multiple people have lusted after Peter's shot.  Have we seen Kush, Lee, Sharon, or Johnny?  Fatboy decided against it, right?  Who else am I missing?

I feel like we might have seen Kush's shot, but maybe not. 

I still think they should sell the thing, even if the pictures aren't really all that great. I mean, it really does look like a cheap calendar that a neighborhood put together to raise some money. Very amateur. But I still want one! :-)

Oh, and while I appreciate Stacey telling Kat that she looks fine and can totally go out in society, I would have preferred her to use the words "Your burns don't look that bad after all" or something to that effect. Because it's just a little patch on her temple and one on her neck. And when she put some makeup on and sat in the dim lights of the Albert, you wouldn't have known there was anything wrong with her. I was hoping they'd do a story where she thinks she's a monster and her burns are worse than they really are.

In other news, Alfie continues to be the worst. That is all.