Type keyword(s) to search

Eastenders (BBC) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So, Phil just left a gun in a shopping bag in a house with a young kid.  None of these people should be parents.

AHAHAHAHA! Yes.

Also, I wasn't surprised that folks didn't know how to swim. My husband was born and raised in Brooklyn, and doesn't know how to drive or swim. It never came up. So I just assumed that was more common in urban areas.

But of course, nearly being drowned as a child would certainly put ME off going anywhere near water, so I feel Mick's pain.

In other news: Ronnie is not usually a boring character, so why did she get such a boring send-off?!?

In other news: Ronnie is not usually a boring character, so why did she get such a boring send-off?!?

Well it's not for good, right, isn't the actress just taking a break to do something else?

I have no idea. I try to avoid spoilers. I didn't even know she was leaving. But that black tank with the loose white blouse over it did make her look like she actually might be pregnant, so maybe the actress is going on maternity leave for a while and then she'll come back after the baby is born. And Ronnie will have an infant in tow. And it will be Aleks'! (idle speculation!) :-)

(edited)

Also, I wasn't surprised that folks didn't know how to swim. My husband was born and raised in Brooklyn, and doesn't know how to drive or swim. It never came up. So I just assumed that was more common in urban areas.

I went to high school in St Louis and they made us swim as part of gym class. 

And Ronnie will have an infant in tow. And it will be Aleks'! (idle speculation!) :-)

No!  I like the thought that Dot is going to be a great grandmother.

Edited by M. Darcy

I guess we will be going through a "Who's the daddy" storyline, then. Sigh...

I have to say that I was thoroughly on Johnny's side when he finally unloaded on Linda, at least up until he called her a "stupid bitch." Dude, that's your mum! But up to that point, everything he said was completely valid, and what she needed to hear. Especially when she made that "You're not a man" crack. Ooooh. She just burns my britches!

And can we start a pool on how long it will take before Denny discovers Sharon's new "toy" she got off Ronnie? ;-)

I'm surprised if she is coming back this summer why they even said anything. Some of the characters get so little screen time, who would even notice.  Like Kat - except for her scene Monday (?) it seems like she hasn't been on in weeks.

I can't decide if Denny will find the gun or if Sharon will shoot someone that she thinks is breaking in.   Ooo, maybe Denny will shoot Phil.  It would be justice since Phil caused the death of Dennis. 

Yeah, I had thought Denny might accidentally shoot himself, but then I remember what a horrible little monster he is, so I'm sure putting a gun in his hands wouldn't end badly AT ALL.

Heh, Denny annoys me also.  You'd think someone related to Dennis and Den would be more awesome.  Den was horrible but a great horrible.  The funny thing about how upset I am about Dennis's death is that in PBS land, it hasn't happened yet!  He's still alive for me. 

I wonder if Mick will get someone to help him to learn how to swim.   On our side of the pond, there are adult swim lessons so I'm sure there are in England. And, I'm guessing there are many adults who would be scared so the teacher would be able to help with their fears.  And, it is scary!  I've been swimming most of my life and I still get a little nervous when I am in water when I can't touch the floor of the pool (heh which since I am short is about 5 feet).

I understand why Billy and Mick don't know how to swim but I was just wondering if that was normal.  Do most people in England know how to swim?  That was a really nice pool Mick went to.  

There is no normal per se, people can or can't swim here just like any other country. Being an island you would think, if anything, the 'can swim' ratio is higher but who knows?! Many primary school children here have swimming lessons in school at some point.

NB: I almost drowned aged 3 (I was swept out to sea from the beach in Australia by a freak wave) but loved the water and was a real water baby by age 6, then won the school cup for it at 11; I'm living proof that Mick should've been encouraged back on that (sea) horse!

That's a pretty standard swimming pool here in my experience, unless you go to a 'fun' pool, with water spray, slides, waves etc.

• Love 1

That's a pretty standard swimming pool here in my experience

Of course, I have no idea what swimming pools really like here in the States.  The only one I ever see is the one in my building which is your normal high rise swimming pool.

Of course, knowing Eastenders this story will drag out so long we will just push Mick in the pool ourselves.  We still don't know what's up with Charlie Cotton.

• Love 1

I actually really enjoyed the episode last night (Fri).  The focus was on a select few, and I think this allowed for some character exploration.

Loved Ian teaching Mick how to swim.  This is definitely a kinder, softer Ian than we're used to.  I think Adam Woodyatt and Danny Dyer bounce well off of each other.

Enjoyed learning more about Linda and her past.  Really hope her relationship with Johnny continues to progress, and she's more open with him, and respectful of him.

Glad Deano (sorry he'll always be Deano to me) stood up to Phil, but hope this doesn't become a feud.  The look on his face at the end of the ep?   Oh dear.

Dean breaking into Phil's house to make a point and a payment, really?!? Not the wisest move. Seemed OTT to me. Enjoyed learning more about Linda's past (although it did feel like a big info dump all at once) and Ian teaching Mick to swim also. Adam W & Danny D tweet each other alot so I'm guessing they're friends IRL.

• Love 1

That scene with Linda in the old pub was a little expository, but it went a long way towards explaining her attitude towards Johnny.  I just wish they could've found a more subtle way to get that information across.

And of COURSE Johnny pulls the second he gets out of the cab! :-)

I was afraid the next episode would begin with a dead Patrick, so I was delighted when he seemed to have pulled himself together. But when he decided not to call the doctor after all and instead go down some rum at the pub, I have realized that I must now steel myself for his imminent demise. Sigh. #thisshow

Re: Patrick

He's not going to die! He's having a stroke.

Oh Linda, not another baby.  It seems like she's not happy with how two of her kids turned out (gay and tomboy) so she just wants to start over. 

I don't know if I'm more surprised that Billy had to steal electricity or that he actually figured out how to do it.

Ok I'm confused.  Are Mick and Linda not married?  I just thought they meant that they didn't have a church wedding that they went to a registry office or something.  But then she told Dean not to tell the kids. 

I seem to recall in the past that she's made mention of how she'd love for Mick to propose to her. So it didn't come as a surprise to me. I thought it was a reasonable attempt on his part to deflect her attention away from having another kid she could smother to death.

Oh Billy. You idiot.  I doubt he put the pictures there though - I can't imagine they are his. 

So basically, the night of Lucy's murder, everyone had an argument with her and was walking through the Square but no one saw who killed her.

Well, I'm sure one person saw who killed her - the killer! (two if you count Lucy) But we won't find out who that is until February, I guess. Sigh.

I'm really not crazy about how this "mystery" is playing out. It was working in the beginning because of the realistic depiction of how long the grief takes to get past and all the initial drama of arresting Jake. But now they're taking so long in between bringing the plot up again that it loses all momentum. I fully expect that by February, I won't even care anymore who did it. Actually, I suspect I might feel that way before summer's over!

Billy's an idiot, but he's not a killer. I just hope that we don't end up with a new suspect every month as they reveal that yet ANOTHER person had a fight with Lucy on Good Friday and we discover incriminating evidence pointing the finger at them...

Although I wouldn't mind if it was Tosh, just so we can get her off the show and away from Tina, who deserves better. Maybe Tosh put the moves on Lucy, she rebuffed her and Tosh got violent as she does… Heck, it would explain why she's so eager to point the finger at Billy!

• Love 1

Although I wouldn't mind if it was Tosh, just so we can get her off the show and away from Tina, who deserves better.

Exactly!  She's always annoyed me but the way she went after Billy yesterday - hate!  Yes, Billy is an idiot and a thief but he's our Billy.  Don't accuse him of murder.

Dean is also on my list.  That was awful the way he treated Lola.  Considering he's lusting after his....yikes....his mother's other son's life partner......so his kind of sister in law...he's not so classy himself. 

• Love 1

Sigh. I can't believe Billy was a good enough liar to make me believe his tale of how the photos were actually Peter's. It seemed like such a plausible story. But clearly there's something else going on...

But seriously, Billy. It's nice that you didn't sell Peter out to the cops, but maybe give Les a call to tell him you won't be coming in today? That's just common courtesy!

• Love 1

Yeah, Billy can't either lie or think on his feet so the pictures story seemed plausible but then why throw out the pictures. 

No wonder Billy can't keep a job for more than five minutes. 

I'm so glad that SOMEBODY finally saw Max with Summerhall. That affair was getting annoying. Now I just wonder how much longer we'll have to wait before Jay tells somebody. Hopefully not long, since he'll probably blab to Abby immediately.

I'm also a little worried about Tina, because she's still selling pot out of the cafe, and I really like her and don't want her to get caught. Of course, I guess they can't really show her committing a crime to raise some extra cash and then actually stop after a few weeks and come out smelling like roses. No, something will have to go awry. I'm just hoping that it's the dealer pressuring her to stay in the game when she wants out rather than her getting arrested. Because that's easier to take care of (Shirley can just put the fear of God into the dealer) than the cops.

And props to Linda for telling Dean to get stuffed and never touch her again. And I almost believe she meant it, which is nice. 

So who do we think was burying Lucy's purse and phone in the allotment? I feel like Peter's been acting EXTRA-guilty lately… :-)

I don't think it will turn out to be Lee just because they could be accused of inferring that soldiers with PTSD will kill (when Lucy was killed, Lee seemed to be suffering from it). Unless I'm thinking like an American and that's not something that would occur to the English.

The killer is stupid - why only now did they get rid of Lucy's phone and purse.

TV killers are always stupid. What do you wanna bet they're still hanging onto one piece of incriminating evidence, whether on purpose or by accident? :-)

They've been dragging out some of these plots for so long that it wasn't until Denise was like, "Who's R? They keep calling." to Ian that I remembered that he once again schtupped a hooker. And Rainie? Eew. But I really hope Patrick puts the fear of God into Ian and gets him to call off the wedding and #FreeDenise.

Oh, and Patrick? GO TO THE GODDAMN DOCTOR ALREADY BEFORE YOU DIE YOU IDIOT! (seriously, this is the story that gives me the rages more than any other right now)

What do you wanna bet they're still hanging onto one piece of incriminating evidence, whether on purpose or by accident?

They probably have video of themselves killing Lucy that they watch over and over.  They are dragging this entire thing on too long - no one is going to care by the time we find out.

I liked Cora better when she was just being a feisty old broad. This bitchy nag is so unappealing.

I'm glad that when Patrick finally went down, he did so in public with plenty of people around to take care of it. The other times he'd had his mini-strokes he'd been at home, so I just assumed he'd have his big one while alone and no one would find him for ages and that would just be painful to watch.

That said, I TOLD YOU TO GO TO THE DOCTOR, YOU FOOLISH, FOOLISH MAN!

Or at the very least ask his son the doctor what to do!!   Oh, Ian.  Yeah, running away solves everything. 

I wonder if the killer is only now getting rid of the stuff is because its really Jake.  And, he only could get rid of now that he is out of jail.  Of course, why get rid of if that way.  Get on the tube to London and throw it away there.  Of course, people in the Square are not known for their smartness.   When its a choice of getting a job outside the Square or becoming a prostitute, they always chose prostitute.

I know Anthony was the golden child of the Trueman family and Paul wasn't even Patrick's biological son. My memory of the time before Paul was killed off is sketchy - did Paul and Patrick grow close after Anthony left?

They did and they didn't.  If I remember correctly, the end of Paul's life he was under a lot of stress dealing drugs and then working undercover for the cops and he and Patrick fought a lot.  And, of course, when Paul was murdered, Patrick didn't handle it well.  It didn't help that everyone knew who killed Paul but they couldn't prove it so he had to see Andy all the time around the Square. 

I personally think he didn't say Paul - he was trying to say "Ian cheated on you with Raine!" 

Yeah, less of an "OH MY GOD!" moment and more of a "I KNEW IT!" moment...

Glad Sharon got herself together and even more glad that she's going to try and take Phil for everything he's got. That should be fun to watch. It'll probably never happen, but it'll be entertaining to watch her try. (And I was DYING at the old picture of Grant, Sam and Phil!)

I guess its a really big deal - Nick's return was on the front page of the Daily Mail.  Heh, British soaps aren't that different from American - just because you are dead doesn't mean you stay dead.  I don't like it though - why make Dot suffer like that.

I can't believe that Sharon and Marcus were stupid enough to meet in the Square.  Back in the US, Marcus has already stolen the Mitchell money but only Sam knows about it so far.  Peggy, Grant and Phil don't have a clue yet. 

Avoiding spoilers like that is why I am glad I watch this from the US. I will occasionally stumble upon a casting notice online, but it's rare. I feel like if I lived in England, I wouldn't be surprised by anything that goes on on EastEnders! :-)

I follow Eastenders on twitter so I tend to know most spoilers (they tend to blab) but both the return of Nick and Marcus were a surprise (except that we all figured out that Nick was alive).  They didn't say a word.  Though, I may be the only one who went MARCUS!!!

I gotta say, I kind of love Aunt Babe. She's scary!

Also, I never thought much of Lee and Whitney, so I just figured he was pursuing her because she was the only available female for him, but now I think they're kind of adorable.

I kind of love Aunt Babe. She's scary!

I think she's scary because there's a part of me that believes she is a Slitheen. 

they're kind of adorable.

They are but since its Eastenders....it will go horribly horribly wrong.

• Love 2

Heh, aw, but it was sweet.  Until he got arrested.  Speaking of which, if the police know where Ian really was Good Friday isn't that a good thing since he has an alibi?  Yeah, he was with a hooker but would he get in trouble for that? 

Damn, I really really want to know who Aunt Babe's partner in crime is.   My guess is we won't find out for months yet.  Heh, maybe its Lucy and she is still alive.   

And, I will say that Timothy West was really looking great yesterday.

Oh Ian...Ian...  And, poor Cora when she sees who is in court.

Couldn't Alfie easily prove he called by just showing his phone - wouldn't all outgoing calls be listed.  But that's probably too logical. 

Damn, I really really want to know who Aunt Babe's partner in crime is. My guess is we won't find out for months yet. Heh, maybe its Lucy and she is still alive.   

I'm almost certain it is Shirley & Tina's mother, she is aunt Babe's sister after all.

• Love 1