Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: If The Shoe Fits...

Some great -- and scary--things in this episode. 

--I appreciated MJ's frustration about her family forgetting her birthday. Granted, her mother fell and was brought to the hospital the day before, but no one has her birthday on their calendar? No one could send her a text or make a phone call? And I definitely know what it's like to be the 'forgotten' child simply because you're the one in the family who made it, who didn't do drugs or flounder in school or have babies you couldn't take care of. 

--I worry about MJs brothers. Patrick has started using Adderall at work (that's what A-bombs are, correct?) and PJ is mixed up with a slightly corrupt real estate broker. MJ was totally right that the government won't turn a blind eye on an Asian woman and a Black man the same way they did the Rockefellers or Kennedys. Or even the Gates family or the Cheyneys. 

--Yes, MJ was correct to tell Niecy that she shouldn't spend 1/2 of her paycheck on clothes. But being the hypocrite that she is, MJ just spend over $130,000 on birthday gifts for herself because 'she deserves it' (Nice quote at the beginning of the show). Wasn't she driving a Porsche? Why did she need a Tesla? Can she even afford that--I didn't know she was living that large. She was recently living paycheck to paycheck just to give Loretta Devine her blackmail money.

• Love 6

Could they have dropped any more anvils? If Mark is still alive by the end of the season, I will be shocked.

All the non-parental members of MJ's family are in some mess. I'm worried that Niecy will lose her job if she's caught sharing her discount. PJ could go to jail, and Patrick's using again.  A lot of interesting moral questions were presented in this episode. PJ thinks it's okay to have shady business dealings because that's how "they" got rich. MJ felt the need to have an abortion (despite wanting a child) because she had to be the good one.

Yeah, I don't get what's up with MJ's money. I understand that she gets a clothing budget, but did she also get a raise because she's being "good" now?

• Love 4

-Yes, MJ was correct to tell Niecy that she shouldn't spend 1/2 of her paycheck on clothes. But being the hypocrite that she is, MJ just spend over $130,000 on birthday gifts for herself because 'she deserves it' (Nice quote at the beginning of the show). Wasn't she driving a Porsche? Why did she need a Tesla? Can she even afford that--I didn't know she was living that large. She was recently living paycheck to paycheck just to give Loretta Devine her blackmail money.

Yeah, MJ got a quick side eye for her hypocrisy towards Niecy. She has her own money and doesn't have to be a burden to her parents, but considering that she had to ask how much the Birkin bag was going to cost her, clearly money is an issue. However, to afford her expensive gifts, and Ce Ce's shakedown, MJ must be way up in the 1% or on her way there. The most likely explanation is she's just fronting, though.

I know Birkin bags are expensive, but $30,000 for that bag!? Jesus. No bag is worth that much money.

Edited by Sheenieb
  • Love 3

I knew Birkin bags are expensive, but $30,000 for that bag!? Jesus. No bag is worth that much money.

When he said that, my jaw dropped. I had to go look up pricing on the bags, and $30,000 is on the lower end of the spectrum. The larger ones go up to $150,000!

The attitude of Niecy's friends was appalling. Grandparents are supposed to take care of your kids? As if, surely, they have nothing else they want or need to do. I'm glad Niecy is maturing, but she needs new friends. The "I don't have sex" girl made me LOL.

• Love 2

MJ and her family always were a hot mess, but I'm not looking forward to the trouble her siblings are going to get into.  Somebody's probably going to prison.  And Mark is so going to die.

I hope they revisit CeCe soon because I want to see what finally happens with her.

• Love 2

I really liked the Birkin bag storyline.  Obviously it's over the top and ridiculous but my friends and I have those stupid dilemmas on a much smaller scale.  There's nothing we actually NEED to buy and most of the time we know that we SHOULDN'T.  It's definitely something I struggle with and I know I have a problem.  I've never spent more than $100 on a bag, but I have a lot of stupid cheap bags I don't need.  Any way.  Birkin bags have also shown up on Will and Grace, Sex and the City, and Gilmore Girls....  Like I said decor and fashion is definitely not needed in my life and I know for a fact that I am wasting my money.  Then look at MJ - she is a public figure who definitely cares about status symbols and looking perfect and desired and even unattainable.  Nobody should have to buy a Birkin bag, though, unless they are really old money, LOL!  Stars are 'given' them... I think it's kind of sad for her to buy one.  Does she want to look like she was given that by the company?  

Just noticed she doesn't really have a love interest right now.  Just these F buddies.  Absolutely nothing morally wrong with that in my opinion but it might be boring for me to watch.  I'm not really into that white guy from the club.  Has nothing to do with his race.  They haven't really shown anything of him and he just looks whatever to me.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I hate this woman! She couldn't just graciously accept the gift her niece bought her?! What if her father had a heart attack and died upon hearing his daughter had an abortion? And how is it that you got pregnant at 33 years old anyway..did you forget how babies are made? You can spend 1000s on bags but you couldn't have afforded a kid? You can steal a man's sperm but you can't have his baby legitimately..what utter bullshit. And another thing Niecy was a teenager that let lack of self esteem and ignorance about sex lead to a pregnancy, what is MJ's excuse? 

I'm so sick of this woman and her nonsense, but as I said her house and clothes are fly so I keep coming back.

Edited by ThomasAAnderson
  • Love 4

I'm so sick of this woman and her nonsense, but as I said her house and clothes are fly so I keep coming back.

Speaking of which, did MJ really pause next to a "For Sale" sign for a property somewhere along a country road? First of all, she doesn't need a new house. She loves her house (and so do I), so clearly she's still in the retail therapy mindset, using possessions to fill the void she feels about her love life? Career? Friendships? Connection with her family? All of the above. 

Second of all, a secluded house like that doesn't seem safe for a woman living alone. Hell, CeCe was able to get to her even though she lives in a gated community.

And how is it that you got pregnant at 33 years old anyway..did you forget how babies are made? You can spend 1000s on bags but you couldn't have afforded a kid? You can steal a man's sperm but you can't have his baby legitimately..what utter bullshit. And another thing Niecy was a teenager that let lack of self esteem and ignorance about sex lead to a pregnancy, what is MJ's excuse?

Perhaps that's one reason why she got so angry at Niecy when she found Niecy was pregnant again. Other than the fact that Niecy was unemployed with one child she already couldn't take care of on her own. Maybe she was remembering her own pregnancy. 

And I don't mean to sound sanctimonious, but how did MJ let herself get pregnant at 33? I know birth control isn't foolproof, but MJ made it through college, her twenties, and early her thirties without getting pregnant (as far as we know). Then she just "slips up" when she's 33? I'll give her the benefit of the doubt--maybe she and David weren't together together but simply hooked up one night when they were both feeling horny, and she wasn't on the Pill because she wasn't having regular sex. 

--I find it interesting that she brought up marrying David, and it made me think that she was the one who didn't want it. He quickly started shacking with the lady who's currently pregnant, and since he seems to care about MJ more (and they've a longer relationship over the years), I wonder if he proposed to her. Or I wonder if MJ ever told him she was pregnant. Maybe not, or he would have mentioned it when she stole his sperm then gave it back to him. 

Speaking of which, did MJ really pause next to a "For Sale" sign for a property somewhere along a country road? First of all, she doesn't need a new house.

That was Mark's house. She didn't know he was selling until she saw the sign. She was upset that he hadn't told her.

• Love 1

I hate this woman! She couldn't just graciously accept the gift her niece bought her?! What if her father had a heart attack and died upon hearing his daughter had an abortion? And how is it that you got pregnant at 33 years old anyway..did you forget how babies are made? You can spend 1000s on bags but you couldn't have afforded a kid? You can steal a man's sperm but you can't have his baby legitimately..what utter bullshit.

Heh, well, if Patrick's drug addiction and Niecy's flailing through life with two children didn't send him into an early grave, I doubt MJ's abortion will do the trick. I don't think the issue was she couldn't afford the child. She was embarrassed that she didn't do it the 'right' way. She wasn't married, and she didn't want to face her parents and tell them that another out of wedlock child was coming into the family.

Which, yes, doesn't make sense considering the sperm stealing and the 'all you had to do is ask' sex that happened last season. My guess is, she thought she had more time. She could abort at 33, and in two years or so, have a do-over with David, or whomever. But, obviously, that wasn't the case. Honestly, I can't imagine MJ as a mother. Kids will cramp her lifestyle.

• Love 3
Second of all, a secluded house like that doesn't seem safe for a woman living alone. Hell, CeCe was able to get to her even though she lives in a gated community.

I've never liked MJ's house because I thought it was too "open," and with nothing on the windows.  To me, that house just screams "I'm all by myself so come get me!"

• Love 4

Exactly what I was talking about in another thread. Everybody has to be a mess...and mama is a mess in her own way. They also hinted in the first season that dad had done something unwise with money.  The only "normal" family member is the one they choose not to show and I'm sure they will reintroduce her involved in some type of mess. 

I'm just shallow. i was hoping for more eye candy. I agree her club liasion is not POW WOW to me...but neither were David, Gary D's character (sorry) and I've never thought the guy that played the married guy was attractive. I know looks are not the most important, but I do like eye candy on my shows..but worse none of her men have had a great personality either. Cuddy Buddy has a nice body, but I don't like the big muscle bound men, so he does nothing for me either once you get past how good shape he is in.  I want someone who is stylish and sophisticated. The married man's suits were always hanging off him like they were too big....

Clearly those girls are not ringing up a "discount' they are not ringing up the real price and they will expect Neicy to do the same when they come for the flat iron or whatever she is selling. She really is just unnecessary.   I don't understand why she can't just go back to beauty school?  Has that been explained?  Surely with two kids she could get some assistance? 

I am disappointed because I would like to see Patrick make it...the younger brother is just too arrogant.  A 30,000 purse when you are paying a blackmailer?  I am surprised she would be speeding down the street with her hands off the wheel. 

Love Kara...why don't they give her someone really nice?  I am still not sure why she broke up with the other guy? 

• Love 1

Love Kara...why don't they give her someone really nice?  I am still not sure why she broke up with the other guy?

I might have misunderstood, but I thought she told her boyfriend they had to break up so she could spend more time with her kids. Which, damn. To have to make that choice. Be a mother or be a loved woman? But not both? Not fair at all.

• Love 1

Love Kara...why don't they give her someone really nice?  I am still not sure why she broke up with the other guy? 

Kara moved back in with her husband to be closer with the kids and reduce her overhead.  She's the only one working and was paying a mortgage on the house PLUS rent for her own place.  She decided to use a spare bedroom in the house but not "re-couple" with her husband.

The Birkin bag means CeCe will back realllllll soon.  She "needs" her blessing.

For those questioning why MJ had an abortion - you might have forgotten that David wasn't always financially set.  I almost want to say (I would need to rewatch some of either S1 or S2), but he KNEW she had gotten pregnant and aborted because he was either in the process of growing his company or just not financially at a place where he wanted to also take on the responsibilities of supporting a family.  She (they) agreed and felt they would eventually be able to try again.  However, other issues got in the way and they were in a on/off relationship for a while until it reached this point where it's completely off.  That was really the reason why she was trying to get pregnant via turkey baster.  Time had ticked on, and she realized that she wasn't where she thought she would be - in a relationship with David and starting a family.  Her age didn't help.  

I get why MJ's dad said that she shouldn't be as hard on Niecy...but I also fully understand (and agree) with MJ's point.  Niecy is a teen with two very big responsibilities who have lots of needs that she isn't supporting in the least.  If she was a teen with zero responsibilities, I would agree that  while it's silly to spend 50% of your check on things you want (not need), it can be relatively harmless as long as you don't overdo it.  However, Niecy doesn't have that luxury.  If her parents, grandparents and MJ all were to withdraw their financial support of Niecy, where exactly would she be with $220, kids and bag of clothing?  That's really the point.

Also, I get that Niecy might not enjoy doing hair - but until she can come up with another plan to support her family, is it really acceptable that she did nothing at all to try to supplement the support she was getting from her family?

I think the entire reason MJ told her dad about the abortion was that she felt like every other child who sees their parents doting on and financially supporting their troubled kids but (in a sense) ignoring the more stable kids.  It's about perception.  She felt like her b-day was her time to get a little time to be doted on by her parents and family but instead, they forgot about it.   Hence, her question about whether she would get a little more attention if she was a perpetual person in need with kids, like Niecy or Patrick.  I like the way the other poster put it, "the forgotten child" because she's not needy.

Paul was a little too casual with the news that the Asian woman he was working for was under investigation.  Makes me wonder if he was involved in getting the investigation going or something.  His reasoning about making money like other folks reminds me of the many recent financial disasters due to folks reasoning in a similar manner.  He's flirting with danger.

But I was most disappointed with Patrick's "donut time".  It's clearly the set up to either him delving back into drug use OR him getting caught in some HR mess.  I think the girl that was goaded into using will be the reason too.  Either she will get into some accident and blame him or the group will pass the blame on to Patrick.  It won't end well at all.

I wondered last week why someone as caution as Mark was caught with his "beans and frank" out on the parking lot instead of in the club....just made me wonder if he did it on purpose?  Meaning, he probably knew that SNC wasn't going to send him to Nigeria for one reason or another.  So, he forced their hand knowing good and well that he could go as an independent reporter.  Sadly, this seems to be leading to a set up for him to get either serious maimed or killed.  

• Love 3
I'm just shallow. i was hoping for more eye candy. I agree her club liasion is not POW WOW to me...but neither were David, Gary D's character (sorry) and I've never thought the guy that played the married guy was attractive. I know looks are not the most important, but I do like eye candy on my shows..but worse none of her men have had a great personality either. Cuddy Buddy has a nice body, but I don't like the big muscle bound men, so he does nothing for me either once you get past how good shape he is in.  I want someone who is stylish and sophisticated. The married man's suits were always hanging off him like they were too big....

I'm shallow, too, because I haven't found any of MJ's men to be attractive.  Now in real life, I know it's more than just physical attraction that's important, but on a silly TV show I want my eye candy.  Dammit.  

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  It's unseasonably warm so I'm going out for a walk so I won't feel guilty about stuffing my face later on.  

• Love 1

I've never liked MJ's house because I thought it was too "open," and with nothing on the windows.  To me, that house just screams "I'm all by myself so come get me!"

I love her big glassy house, but did you notice that she taped newspapers all over the window/walls when she was all bashed up from her car wreck?  I guess she doesn't really mind THAT much if people observe the Cutty Buddy Olympics.  Ha, I remembered that my grandmother would lower all the shades at dusk and then tape a piece of newspaper over the tiny window in the front door before she went to bed--no peekers for Nana!

Those Birkin bags make me insane.  There's just not enough money in the world to justify spending $30,000+ for a damn status symbol purse.  Unlike cars or jewelry or houses, Birkins seem to be the officially designated affectation of wealth + vanity; I don't know why people carrying one aren't embarrassed, or the object of ridicule.

So I guess I was already in a pissy mood about that, but on this birthday thing. . .two dozen friends and coworkers put out the effort, stopped what they were doing and honored Mary Jane.  A few of her loved ones did let her down due to their own selfish agendas, like emergency room visits and so forth.  Patrick's out because addicts are never reliable about that stuff, but he does also have some other things on his plate.  And the one family member who remembered got a load of criticism instead of acknowledgement or, heaven forbid, a thank you. 

Boo fucking hoo, MJ.  I hope your Tesla's a lemon.

• Love 4

For those questioning why MJ had an abortion - you might have forgotten that David wasn't always financially set.  I almost want to say (I would need to rewatch some of either S1 or S2), but he KNEW she had gotten pregnant and aborted because he was either in the process of growing his company or just not financially at a place where he wanted to also take on the responsibilities of supporting a family.  She (they) agreed and felt they would eventually be able to try again.  However, other issues got in the way and they were in a on/off relationship for a while until it reached this point where it's completely off.  That was really the reason why she was trying to get pregnant via turkey baster.  Time had ticked on, and she realized that she wasn't where she thought she would be - in a relationship with David and starting a family.  Her age didn't help.

I'd forgotten about this. Thanks, noirprncess. I've always felt that when a couple has been in an on-again, off-again for years, it usually means that they really aren't good for each other. Despite being attracted to one another or having mind-blowing sex together, or even having a strong intellectual or emotional connection, there's something about being in a long-term relationship that doesn't work for the two of them. And it seems that's where MJ and David have always been, although I still don't totally understand the timeline (or the circumstances) of their relationship. 

And the one family member who remembered got a load of criticism instead of acknowledgement or, heaven forbid, a thank you. 

Boo fucking hoo, MJ.  I hope your Tesla's a lemon.

Ha-Ha. This last line cracked me up. 

Didn't Niecy say in Season 1 that the only thing she really enjoyed (or was good at) was having sex, and the only other option for her was in porn? There is a market for thick-girl porn, but I'm not encouraging a porn career for this teenage mother. What if she went to college then grad school and became a relationship counselor? Better yet, a sex therapist?

When he said that, my jaw dropped. I had to go look up pricing on the bags, and $30,000 is on the lower end of the spectrum. The larger ones go up to $150,000!

The attitude of Niecy's friends was appalling. Grandparents are supposed to take care of your kids? As if, surely, they have nothing else they want or need to do. I'm glad Niecy is maturing, but she needs new friends. The "I don't have sex" girl made me LOL.

Those girls were terrible, but I am willing to bet money their own grandmothers and aunties raised them. Now in their minds making their delinquent moms raise the gandkids is part of the punishment for the abandonment these girls felt as kids. I have seen this so many times with extended family. Generation after generation, the disfunctional band plays on if no one does the work to change themselves.

Heck, I can envision a world in which Niecy's own kids make her a grandma by 40 and expect her to step up for them because in their minds and experience, that's what grandparents are supposed to do.

PJ wasn't wrong, if they aren't extremely careful, their family could be a poster child for downward mobility. More than a few U.S. families are 2 or 3 irresponsible decisions or a recession away from sliding right back down the class ladder their parents and grandparents fought so hard to climb. Heck, if MJ's scars were more realistic, she would be out of a job and probably need to sell her house.

Edited by red12
  • Love 3

So I guess I was already in a pissy mood about that, but on this birthday thing. . .two dozen friends and coworkers put out the effort, stopped what they were doing and honored Mary Jane.  A few of her loved ones did let her down due to their own selfish agendas, like emergency room visits and so forth.  Patrick's out because addicts are never reliable about that stuff, but he does also have some other things on his plate.  And the one family member who remembered got a load of criticism instead of acknowledgement or, heaven forbid, a thank you.

Boo fucking hoo, MJ.  I hope your Tesla's a lemon.

While I agree that she should've said thank you to Niecy, I don't blame her for being pissed at her family's forgetfulness. I'm thinking back to the conversation she had with Salli Richardson last season. She remembers every one else's events and birthdays, but when it comes on to her, the phone doesn't ring unless someone needs something. It's great that her colleagues did something nice for her, but it's still hurtful that her family forgot about her.

• Love 2

I wouldn't find it at all hurtful if my family forgot my birthday, just that once mind you, if other things were going on.  MJ knew that the focus was on her mother, so she should have just let it slide.  I can understand her being a little hurt, but being pissed is just being mean and selfish. One year my mom forgot my birthday and I never said a word because I didn't want her to feel bad about forgetting.  I knew she was preoccupied with other things.  I don't think she ever realized that she forgot that one time, and I was happy about that.  

• Love 2

Oooooow, I must have mentally blocked Niecy saying the only thing sex was the only thing she was good at doing. But someone needs to help baby girl want more in her life than she currently does. Her grandparents won't always be there and her parents don't seem to have it in them to get it together fast enough to help her.

That Birkin bag was totally ridiculous! I would be completely worried about get knocked over the head by a thief. I guess she wouldn't consider a service like Beg, Borrow or Buy.

Oooooow, I must have mentally blocked Niecy saying the only thing sex was the only thing she was good at doing. But someone needs to help baby girl want more in her life than she currently does. Her grandparents won't always be there and her parents don't seem to have it in them to get it together fast enough to help her.

That's what MJ has been trying to do with all her talks to Niecy. She tried to help her get in shape, work on her diet, fix her resume....But I guess MJ comes off as condescending so the message of "caring" gets lost in translation.

As for her parents, that ship has sailed. They can't go back to when she was a little girl. Her mother is working, although it would be nice if she could get in touch with her more often just to check in. But, Patrick is a drug addict, unfortunately, sadly, she has never, nor will she ever be able to fully count on him for anything, including advice. She was jealous of her little sister because Patrick seemed to be getting it together for her, but that little sister has it worse if you ask me because both her parents are drug addicts. At least Niecy's mother has never been a addict, she may be on the road but it looks like if she's really needed she can be there. With that little sister, she has double the dose of instability in having two parents that will forever be battling drug addictions. 

Anyway, isn't Niecy legal yet? She's not still a teenager is she? She's not still in high school?  I thought I heard her say that she studied for and passed the GED?

So Niecy is at least twenty-one by now and her parents no longer need to get it together to have her back, it would be nice if they did to some extent but.... Niecy is the parent now, she is the adult, she needs to get it together. As a matter a fact, her mother seems to have it together IMO. She's not a drug addict, she's not doing anything illegal, she has a career, she was trying to encourage Niecy and even telling her what to do to obtain a similar career, which she seems to have a talent for. But Niecy is just lazy. Yes, she has low self-esteem but at least she has a talent and just won't help herself. Although finally getting a job was a little effort, but she might blow it by giving "discounts" to her "friends" (eye roll).  I mean hell, even the young girl whose hair she was doing all in an effort to sell her that flat iron, even she noticed Niecy's talent and told her that she should be working in a salon instead of selling tools you use in a salon.

My goodness, come on Niecy. I mean her mother was even willing to help her, by passing her "portfolio" around, but Niecy has to do the work to get one.

I hope she does. Hell, by the end of this series she could end up being more successful that MJ if she gets her shit together.

And it was sweet for her to buy MJ a gift and MJ once again, her delivery sucks. You can't discount that your niece is the only one who remembered your birthday and spent, yes, money she doesn't have, but also spent a bit of it on you. Balance out the loving criticism with a hug and a thank you first for the thought.

Edited by represent
  • Love 4

Anyway, isn't Niecy legal yet? She's not still a teenager is she? She's not still in high school?  I thought I heard her say that she studied for and passed the GED?

So Niecy is at least twenty-one by now and her parents no longer need to get it together to have her back, it would be nice if they did to some extent but.... Niecy is the parent now, she is the adult, she needs to get it together. As a matter a fact, her mother seems to have it together IMO. She's not a drug addict, she's not doing anything illegal, she has a career, she was trying to encourage Niecy and even telling her what to do to obtain a similar career, which she seems to have a talent for. But Niecy is just lazy. Yes, she has low self-esteem but at least she has a talent and just won't help herself. Although finally getting a job was a little effort, but she might blow it by giving "discounts" to her "friends" (eye roll).  I mean hell, even the young girl whose hair she was doing all in an effort to sell her that flat iron, even she noticed Niecy's talent and told her that she should be working in a salon instead of selling tools you use in a salon.

My goodness, come on Niecy. I mean her mother was even willing to help her, by passing her "portfolio" around, but Niecy has to do the work to get one.

I hope she does. Hell, by the end of this series she could end up being more successful that MJ if she gets her shit together.

The bolded part is the essence of Niecy. MJ is no stranger to being vicious and nasty just because, but I get her frustration with Niecy. She's too unmotivated to get herself together. She only wants the hookup, but she doesn't want to work for it. But that's what happens when babies have babies. She's a teenager/young adult, so it isn't surprising that she lacks ambition. Problem is, she lacks ambition with two mouths to feed. Add the enabling on top of that, and it's easy to see why she's an irresponsible mess.

• Love 3
Unlike cars or jewelry or houses, Birkins seem to be the officially designated affectation of wealth + vanity;

How is it unlike jewelry?  I wasn't sure I understood this point.  I'd never buy a Birkin obviously but at least a purse has a function which I don't see that jewellry has at all.

• Love 1

Well, to me, jewelry can be tasteful and understated, albeit expensive.  A Birkin bag, (or any other crazy expensive bag like Hermes) while certainly functional, just screams to me "Look at me!  I've got a Birkin bag!  And it's expensive!  Bitches."

• Love 1
However, to afford her expensive gifts, and Ce Ce's shakedown, MJ must be way up in the 1% or on her way there. The most likely explanation is she's just fronting, though.

MJ s not even within sniffing distance of 1%, but I don't really think she's strictly fronting either.  I just think she's acting out.  She just goes about it in ways that are considered more "respectable", whereas Patrick uses drugs, the youngest brother schemes and hustles, and Niecy does something irresponsible.  Nobody that works for a living is 1%.   Not even the richest celebrities are in the 1%.  Those people live in a world that the rest of us never get to see.

• Love 1

MJ s not even within sniffing distance of 1%, but I don't really think she's strictly fronting either.  I just think she's acting out.  She just goes about it in ways that are considered more "respectable", whereas Patrick uses drugs, the youngest brother schemes and hustles, and Niecy does something irresponsible.  Nobody that works for a living is 1%.   Not even the richest celebrities are in the 1%.  Those people live in a world that the rest of us never get to see.

The difference with MJ is that she doesn't burden other people with the consequences of her habits and decisions. She doesn't ask for family for money--not that anyone besides her parents, and maybe her little brother, would be able to give her two nickels to rub together. I'm sure her parents helped her financially during college, and maybe early on in her career, but certainly not now. 

Edited by topanga

Let's keep in mind that MJ's first installment to CeCe came from her 401K which the financial adviser she was speaking to on the phone told her not to do. When you have to dig into your retirement fund, yeah, to say you're not part of the 1% is an understatement. 

I think MJ is part of the dying Upper Middle Class because I think they've disappeared along with the middle class. She had enough to be more than comfortable, buy herself material things of quality from time to time and still save money for retirement. 

But as soon as I saw her digging into her retirement nest, I knew there was a problem. Any financial adviser worth a damn would tell you to cut off your arm before you do that. Don't touch that money.  Not to mention she's going to have to pay a penalty for the early withdrawals.

• Love 3

Let's keep in mind that MJ's first installment to CeCe came from her 401K which the financial adviser she was speaking to on the phone told her not to do. When you have to dig into your retirement fund, yeah, to say you're not part of the 1% is an understatement.

I forgot that she dipped into her retirement funds to pay off CeCe. However, her financial situation is all over the place. If she can afford a 100k car, as well as a closet full of designer clothes, MJ is definitely not an outlet shopper, then I'm like, ok, MJ is clearly doing better than I thought. I'm sure the mortgage on that glass house must be insane, too. She's living that Carrie Bradshaw life. Her credits cards didn't get sliced up, yet, though.

But as soon as I saw her digging into her retirement nest, I knew there was a problem. Any financial adviser worth a damn would tell you to cut off your arm before you do that. Don't touch that money.  Not to mention she's going to have to pay a penalty for the early withdrawals.

Yeah, I sure hope her "it'll pay for itself" car and Birkin bag means that she's making more than enough to repay the $20,000 she withdrew. I'm still bothered by her stupidity. 

• Love 2

Isn't there a wait list for Birkin bags? I seem to recall something about at on sex and the city?

I once lusted after a Marc Jacobs bag that was 1,500.

I didn't but it but I guess I could justify someone spending that much on something you might use every day, and for several seasons, if you can afford it.

And jewelry, if it's precious stones and gold, holds its value (not expensive because it's Elsa perretti etc, which I find idiotic, but something beautiful). To me that's like wearable art.

But a Birkin bag which costs more than many people make in a year... With nothing that makes it intrinsically better than something a fraction of the cost including that Marc Jacobs bag! Ugh I can't justify it.

That MJ wanted it just shows this huge disconnect and pretty rampant materialism.