Type keyword(s) to search

Eastenders (PBS) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

OMG-- A love triangle among Rose, Keith and Mike?  The lice population alone must be having an orgy.

I'm really disappointed in Mickey.  Keith has not shown himself to be a good father, husband and provider and he's sticking up for him?

I understand his resentment towards his bio dad, but come on--Keith's chronic lack of both employment and hygiene, his scamming and finagling are hardly role model material.  I cannot stand this family and resent any time the show devotes to them.  

I'm also tired of Ruby and  her shtick. Enough.

I'm not looking forward to Wednesday nights the way I used to.

Edited by One More Time
  • Love 3

Here in DC we seem to be further along than you lot. They're bringing in a slew of new characters and I'm not sure I like that. 

As for Patrick and Pat, I think she just wanted to feel wanted and like a woman, so she started tempting him sexually and he gave in because she's probably a lot more adventurous than Yolande. And he's a bit of a dog.

• Love 1

Here in DC we seem to be further along than you lot. They're bringing in a slew of new characters and I'm not sure I like that. 

As for Patrick and Pat, I think she just wanted to feel wanted and like a woman, so she started tempting him sexually and he gave in because she's probably a lot more adventurous than Yolande. And he's a bit of a dog.

I think Pat had her eye on Patrick for some time, and she also suspected that he was a bit of a dog, so it wasn't too hard to tempt him.  Plus, Yolande had become a bit of a nag so that's all it took for him to stray.

I don't like the slew of new characters either.  Too many, too soon.  I was ok with Pat's nephew, but then the father comes to town, and then the annoying, whining daughter and her husband and his family from Cyprus, with their marital problems.  And now, we have the friend of Joe's (isn't that Pauline's new husband's name?) who knows some deep dark secret about him, who just shows up at Pauline's house and makes himself at home.   I really can't stand him because he's even filthier than Keith, if that's possible. 

So yeah, it's too much.

Yeah, I've done a lot of spoiler-ing and I fear that much of the best of East Enders is behind us. Was surprised by how cold Ruby was toward Stacey, but then again, she's always been a sanctimonious little cow. And poor Stacey: her perpetually sour disposition has prevented anyone from recognizing that she's having an emotional crisis. Charlie sort of had a hint recently but then didn't give it any more thought.

• Love 1

I know Stacey has had a troubled past but I still can't stand her.

I hated her character in the beginning, but she grew on me. She hasn't had it easy and Charlie seems to be the only one who realizes that.

The Millers are going to drive me to reruns of The Big Bang Theory.  Seriously--someone actually finds Keith and Rose attractive?  I hate them and think their storyline has brought down the show.

Pat and Pat?  YIKES!  Altho Yolande has turned into a shrew, but she was never a favorite of mine to begin with.

I hated her character in the beginning, but she grew on me. She hasn't had it easy and Charlie seems to be the only one who realizes that.

But she still can't keep her nose out of other peoples' business.  Wasn't she the one who called out Pat and Pat's affair?   I made the mistake of going on wiki and it looks like she's not going anywhere soon so I'm not happy about that.

But she still can't keep her nose out of other peoples' business.  Wasn't she the one who called out Pat and Pat's affair?   I made the mistake of going on wiki and it looks like she's not going anywhere soon so I'm not happy about that.

We haven't gotten that far in the NY/N area--Pat and Pat are just getting flirty {so much second hand embarrassment}.

I will forever love Stacy because she had the balls to turn in Keith Miller for the lying scamming dirtbag  he is.

Edited by One More Time
  • Love 1

And now we're watching the slow traincrash of a marriage of Pauline and Joe. It has driven me nuts that not once has it dawned on Pauline or those around her that maybe one of the only reasons she was drawn to Joe is because of his extremely close physical resemblance to Derek. I think Pauline was as close to being in love with Derek as she could ever be with any man following Arthur's death.

Edited by TimWil

I think I am sooo done with this show:  It's become a about people I really don't care about--the Millers and now Kevin Wick and his family. I don't mind Dino so much but his father and sister? No. thanks.

I'm giving it til the first of the year and if my interest doesn't pick up, I'm out.

Edited by One More Time
  • Love 1

I Wiki'd as well and I'm not too thrilled with what the future holds.  This show has been around a looooong time and I've tried to stick with it, but I'm getting tired of seeing people I just don't like.  Take pig-faced Phil, for instance.  I can't for the life of me see what women see in him.  Not only is he not attractive, he is not a nice man.  I just can't take this show anymore.

If this show doesn't pick up and improve my NYE resolution is going to be o delete this from my dvr.  I hardly know {much less LIKE} the new family and don't care what happens to them at all.

Altho Keef was shown getting out of the shower--a first for him, I assume.  He's living with Gary and Minty--they probably made improved hygiene  a requirement before they let him crash there.

• Love 1

So, the Johnny Allen era is finally closed, although we're left with Ruby.  I'm really disappointed with his whole arc.  He was supposed to be an old school crime lord, but never really manifested into such.    I wonder how long Phil will stick around this time.  Probably a good while so they can work the story line with him, his son, and Ian.   

I was hoping Ruby was gone for good.  And then Phil and Grant being back, it's just too much for me to take.  I have to take a break.

I have to take a break because I actively hate the Wix family, Honey's father and the "mysterious" friend of Joe's.  tbh I really lost interest when Nana Moon died.  The plot really went down after that.

Edited by One More Time
  • Love 1

Well, color me SHOCKED!!!

I'm actually enjoying the Miller story, am shocked that the hygienically-challenged Rose actually kicked out smelly Keef and got Mike out of the way with the 5,000 pounds.  Keef came back and bought a diamond ring for Rose trying to win her back, that was last nites cliffhanger. Will she or won't she?

As for Honey and her creepy dad and Bert, Joe's friend, I really don't care.  And Sonia leaving Martin for Naomi? Yawn. Altho Dot will have a religious breakdown and get housewives knees from all the praying she's about to do.

Edited by One More Time

Currently watch episodes from 2006 on Channel 21 WLIW in NY/NJ area.  The story about baby Janet Mitchell has got to be the most ill-conceived, poorly written storyline with the worst characters and most god-awful actors in recent EE memory.  I have to FF through it every episode.

• Love 1

Hey, if Honey Mitchell is dumb enough to think Billy would be a good agent for her modelling career, they really don't have much to do with her as a character! Poor Petal deserves better.

• Love 2
On 5/26/2017 at 2:49 AM, GussieK said:

I'm glad to see some NYC people posting here. Maybe there will be more interest in future. I started watching about a year ago. 

I'm from the DC area and I'm still watching, even though I threaten to switch channels about every other week, lol.

I don't know what the future holds for Bradley and Stacey.  He got mad at her after she crashed his office Christmas party, but I just don't think the poor lad can quit her.  I know she's had it rough and I do think she loves him, but he'll never be man enough for her.  I think he deserves better.  

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I'm from the DC area and I'm still watching, even though I threaten to switch channels about every other week, lol.

I don't know what the future holds for Bradley and Stacey.  He got mad at her after she crashed his office Christmas party, but I just don't think the poor lad can quit her.  I know she's had it rough and I do think she loves him, but he'll never be man enough for her.  I think he deserves better.  

I'm a D.C. area fan, too.  I was surprised that Stacey showed up at the party looking so obviously tarty.  We've seen here better than that.  I think she suspected that he was embarrassed by her and was trying to play up her Eastend-ness.

I'm really looking forward to an end of the Pauline-Sonya storyline.  Pauline years ago was one of my favorite characters because she was realistic and fairly complex.  It's like she's an entirely different person now and I suspect they're on a trajectory to eliminate the character.   There really isn't any place left to take Pauline.   I hope Sonya decides to move out of the country (as this show tends to do when they want to park a character without killing them.   Let Martin and Joe figure out how to live without the both of them.

Will Billy ever forgive Honey and himself?  I'm surprised he agreed to allow the foster parents to take petal.  Will Honey get psychiatric help?  Damn if she doesn't need it.

• Love 1

I, too, wish that Pauline and Sonya would be written off and Martin and Joe get on with their lives.  Pauline is just too bitter now, and I don't trust Sonya anymore.  It wouldn't surprise me if she had another affair and I just wonder how many times Martin would take her back.

I don't think Billy will ever forgive himself or Honey and I don't see this marriage lasting.  Even though he's done some bad things, being a Mitchell, I've always had a soft spot for Billy because he was always the mutt in a family of big dogs.

Do they show the same schedule in DC as they do in NYC PBS?  Two shows a week, currently from some time in 2006 or 2007?  It's so funny how no one has a smartphone yet.

I started this show about a year ago on someone's recommendation.  I love British TV, but I can now see after a year how much this really is just a traditional soap opera, where plot twists often make no sense or story lines are dropped with no explanation.  Also some story lines are dropped for weeks at a time and then brought back.  Here, some random thoughts, given that up till now there has been no activity in this board.

I never knew Billy before the current story arc, but it is very sad, and I can't believe he'd give up the baby and go back to that lunatic Honey.  Pauline is horrible.  I started this show when Sonya was with Gus.  Also she was drinking.  Suddenly she dumped him for no good reason.  He seemed really upset but then that just ended.  

Sean is really horrible, but the actor plays him with a good sense of menace.  What will ever happen to that other guy who was running the nightclub?  Was he really killed (on the absurd mistaken order by Johnny Allen on his groggy deathbed)?  I guess Ruby is written off the show.

I liked the recent story line with Chelsea and Squiggle and their mother and the paternity test.

I could not stand the plot where the abusing father kidnapped Squiggle.

I kind of liked the story where Minty was played by that woman and her fake brother.  I felt sorry for Minty, but he was a jerk.

They seem to have temporarily dropped the plot with the girl who is going out with the married man (whose wife is trying to get pregnant).  She is being a chump.  I don't know her name.  She was also the pawn in that silly story line with Jane and Ian.  I started watching the show after he had decided to involve that girl in his silly plot to fake being his wife.  I didn't really understand why he wouldn't have taken his real girlfriend.  Can someone who has been watching longer enlighten me?  

Thanks, fans!

On 5/27/2017 at 6:52 PM, Ohwell said:

I didn't think the Bradley/Stacey relationship could survive the abortion.  Another misguided plot.

29 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Do they show the same schedule in DC as they do in NYC PBS?  Two shows a week, currently from some time in 2006 or 2007?  It's so funny how no one has a smartphone yet.

The schedule in DC used to be two half hour shows from 9 to 10 a.m. every Saturday.  However, about a month ago they switched from PBS to WETA UK.  And yes, it's still some time 2006.

33 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I started this show when Sonya was with Gus.  Also she was drinking.  Suddenly she dumped him for no good reason.  He seemed really upset but then that just ended.  

Well, first of all, as you said, this is just another soap opera, just British, lol.  Anyway...before Sonya took up with Gus, she had an affair with another woman, and that temporarily broke up her marriage to Martin, Pauline's son.   Sonya, Martin and Gus were friends (maybe they were in high school, but I don't remember)  before Sonya and Martin got married, but I think that Gus always had a thing for Sonya.  So even though I liked Gus, I was disappointed that he started seeing Sonya after her temporary breakup with Martin, because he and Martin were supposed to be friends.  However, I'm not sure that Sonya and Gus ever had sex so maybe another viewer can fill in the blanks.  I think Sonya has been a hot mess at times, but Martin still loves her.  

43 minutes ago, GussieK said:

They seem to have temporarily dropped the plot with the girl who is going out with the married man (whose wife is trying to get pregnant).  She is being a chump.  I don't know her name.  She was also the pawn in that silly story line with Jane and Ian.  I started watching the show after he had decided to involve that girl in his silly plot to fake being his wife.  I didn't really understand why he wouldn't have taken his real girlfriend.  Can someone who has been watching longer enlighten me?  

Ian has acted like an ass on many occasions, long before he met Jane.  The reason that he didn't take Jane is simply because he didn't think she was pretty enough and he wanted to impress his friends at that party with a "pretty" wife, so he took stupid Dawn, who met the married man there.  Before you started watching, Jane had had an affair with one of the Mitchell brothers so she wasn't completely innocent, but before they had the big fight and then made up, I think Ian just thought of her as a caretaker for his children and a hard worker in his fish and chips shop.  Then after the fight, I think they both realized that they really did love each other.  At least that's the way I saw it.  

Of course, this being a soap opera, there's just so much stuff that happened before but I hope this sheds just a tiny bit of light on the people you asked about.  I'm sure there are other posters who can add more to the story.   

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, Ian is officially an ass now!  (I've done a little research trying to avoid spoilers.  But it appears that  Ian has been on the show for many years, since he was a teen.??? )  Imagine if you are an actor and that's all you do for your entire life!

But what's going on with Jane?  They certainly left us with a cliffhanger.  I knew that little blackmail plot would come home to roost eventually (back when the car needed repairs a few months ago).  Whoever that guy is who owns the car repair told Ian the secret but didn't tell Jane that he had told. 

Pauline is the worst witch I have ever seen!  What is she hiding?  Am I missing something?  Last week they left her in the hospital about to get some bad news.  Was there something I missed?  Did they leave out an episode for us Americans?  Or is it just weird storytelling.

But I did like the Dusty Springfield song!

Edited by GussieK
1 hour ago, GussieK said:

Pauline is the worst witch I have ever seen!  What is she hiding?  Am I missing something?  Last week they left her in the hospital about to get some bad news.  Was there something I missed?  Did they leave out an episode for us Americans?  Or is it just weird storytelling.

I don't want to spoil it for you but it will be revealed shortly what Pauline is up to.  

• Love 1
On 5/28/2017 at 8:53 AM, terrymct said:

Pauline years ago was one of my favorite characters because she was realistic and fairly complex.  It's like she's an entirely different person now

Omg when she gleefully cheered on Ian to humiliate Jane, I was like, wow, this character became a monster all of the sudden. She used to be just kind of crochetedly at times.

On 5/29/2017 at 11:52 AM, Ohwell said:

The reason that he didn't take Jane is simply because he didn't think she was pretty enough and he wanted to impress his friends at that party with a "pretty" wife, so he took stupid Dawn, who met the married man there.

Ugh. I would take Jane any day over skanky Dawn, the woman who once held a fundraiser to get a boob job by implying she was seriously ill.  (lol wasn't that event like "The Greater Walford Classy Businesmen's Society" and everyone was snooty even though I thought Walford was all gritty and working-class?)

As an aside, I capitulated and signed up for Britbox and see the current show streaming. I won't ever spoil anything but it is funny to see some of the same characters 10 years later!

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Ugh. I would take Jane any day over skanky Dawn, the woman who once held a fundraiser to get a boob job by implying she was seriously ill.

Ugh.  I forgot about Dawn pulling that stunt.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Omg when she gleefully cheered on Ian to humiliate Jane, I was like, wow, this character became a monster all of the sudden. She used to be just kind of crochetedly at times.

As an aside, I capitulated and signed up for Britbox and see the current show streaming. I won't ever spoil anything but it is funny to see some of the same characters 10 years later!

Re Britbox. I'm considering this. Do you think this is how people are watching who are posting on the UK thread?  Or are those actually people in the UK?  When Downton Abbey was on apparently some US viewers were watching on BitTorrent sites, but my IT guy has scared me off those. 

Edited by GussieK

The UK thread does not have a huge amount of traffic but I think it is a mix of UK and people who were watching the show through other methods. Britbox is a great way if you want to watch the current show.

I've tried watching the current episodes when I'm in the UK, but it just confuses the heck out of me because they're so far ahead. Whole new families can show up or regulars are inexplicably missing.

(Watching from the D.C. Area.) Why didn't they have Honey give Petal to Dr. May instead of having May continue to complain about not being able to conceive, and about Rob's affair?

1 hour ago, Deni said:

(Watching from the D.C. Area.) Why didn't they have Honey give Petal to Dr. May instead of having May continue to complain about not being able to conceive, and about Rob's affair?

Well, one reason I can think of is that Honey didn't want the guilt of Petal being in the same town and her seeing her with other parents.  I think it would have been too much for her, and especially Billy.  He wouldn't be able to take it.  

I am late to post from two weeks ago, but that "wedding" scene of Jane and Ian in the pouring  rain was the most over the top fight I've ever seen. It outdid Dynasty!  How did they get so much water?  And the mud!  Preposterous. 

I guess I should have seen the plot twist coming with Patrick's fake DNA report, but I didnt. Silly me. Such a dumb thing to do. Then they have to have additional anguish of whether they will forgive him. I think anyone normal would not forgive him. 

I guess I should have seen the plot twist coming with Patrick's fake DNA report, but I didnt. Silly me. Such a dumb thing to do. Then they have to have additional anguish of whether they will forgive him. I think anyone normal would not forgive him. 

Plus we have to endure the "a small group of characters go away on a boring vacation and we the viewers have to vicariously live through it" thing that this show occasionally puts us through.

• Love 1
(edited)

Boy, I guess I'm really hate watching now.  Brandon and Stacey just can't get along.  This new plot with the estranged wife, Shirley, seems out of the blue.   Do any long-term viewers know the history on this?  Was she on the show previously?  Another soap opera lightning bolt.

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 1
On 6/28/2017 at 4:40 PM, GussieK said:

Do any long-term viewers know the history on this?  Was she on the show previously?  Another soap opera lightning bolt.

No she's new and given that I consider the Wicks family among the more boring characters on this show, I am not looking forward to this.

• Love 1

Well, Pauline dying isn't really a surprise.  They've had her on a down and out trajectory for a while.  I had hoped that it would mean less of Sonya, because I'm sick to death of that character, but no.   Are we going to have to sit through a trial?  If they want to continue the Sonya character, they need to park her somewhere for at least a year.  Jail, Australia, India, someplace away from the Square, then bring her back with a fresh new outlook and the ability to interact differently with the other characters.