Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
nymusix

SNL in the Media

Recommended Posts

Julio Torres discusses his current "status" with SNL.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/snl-writer-talks-los-espookys-how-land-jokes-spanish-english-1255161

What's your current status with Saturday Night Live?

Last season, I missed the first half to shoot in Santiago. This year, I'm not at SNL at all. It's sort of an open-ended goodbye. My relationship with SNL is currently fluid.

You wrote the SNL skits "Papyrus," "Wells for Boys" and "The Actress." Do you see a throughline to them?

Having started therapy, I look back at the work I did there — that I'm very proud of — and the throughline is lonely, introspective people.

Did you ever discuss performing on SNL?

It's not a job that I would do well — unless it were redefined in some way. And I was not a utilitarian writer. It's almost like I was off coloring in the corner. I'd come to a meeting, show my little drawing. They either took it or they didn't.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Julia Louis Dreyfus recently spoke again about her unhappy time at SNL. She's said this many times before but this one got more attention.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/12/julia-louis-dreyfus-snl-sexist-brutal.html

Here is Seth Meyers very politely trying to respond, and also talking about breaking.

 

Bowen Yang on Seth Meyers.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

The 'long-gestating' John Belushi biopic has cast Alex Brightman as the man himself.

https://collider.com/john-belushi-biopic-alex-brightman-david-frankel/

I was going to put this in the memorial thread but I felt like it should be kept to more about when someone affiliated with the show passes away.

Holy crap, yay! He's awesome in the Beetlejuice and School of Rock Broadway shows, he'll be a great Belushi!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Holy crap, yay! He's awesome in the Beetlejuice and School of Rock Broadway shows, he'll be a great Belushi!

I don't know.. I don't see it.  He's too nerdy, or something.  I know he is a great actor, but I can't see him as Belushi.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I don't know.. I don't see it.  He's too nerdy, or something.  I know he is a great actor, but I can't see him as Belushi.

If you think that's odd, there are rumors John Mulaney will play Dan Aykroyd.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

11 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

If you think that's odd, there are rumors John Mulaney will play Dan Aykroyd.

As much as I love Mullaney... I DO NOT see that at all. 

They are picking nerdy, nervous types to play these very cool, very laid-back guys.  I just can't see it, but maybe they are trying to present Belushi and Aykroyd differently?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/12/2019 at 5:45 PM, AriAu said:

So....I was trying to figure out who was going to play JJ Walker's JJ on the "Good Times" special since that is sooooo iconic and hard to duplicate without being a caricature.

I  just saw that it will be Jay Pharoah......absolutely perfect casting!

https://tvline.com/2019/12/12/good-times-live-cast-viola-davis-andre-braugher-florida-james-evans/

And he was awful. Which shocked me.

  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

Read elsewhere that, supposedly, all 44 prior seasons of SNL will be on NBC's new streaming service, Peacock, which will debut in July.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Read elsewhere that, supposedly, all 44 prior seasons of SNL will be on NBC's new streaming service, Peacock, which will debut in July.

Very tempted to start some kind of SNL rewatch podcast. This is fascinating.

If anything it'll be a great time capsule of cultural touchstones from 1975 onward.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah that does sound enticing, but on the other hand, another streaming service? Oy.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Will it be the full episodes, or the cutdown ~35-minute versions for some seasons that have been around for a while? I assume there are issues with music rights for earlier seasons, but I hope we get some of those missing sketches that have never been online.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ApathyMonger said:

Will it be the full episodes, or the cutdown ~35-minute versions for some seasons that have been around for a while? I assume there are issues with music rights for earlier seasons, but I hope we get some of those missing sketches that have never been online.

There was some speculation based on a tweet from NBC (saying it would take 30 days to watch) that these are edited, as it would take closer to 40 to watch all of them completely unedited. I guess it's only logical they will have most of the music taken out, sadly. 

I too wish there would be a chance to see missing sketches, especially pieces cut after dress rehearsal. I know they are doing a show that will interview cast or talk about certain moments, but I hope we may get one for deleted scenes too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Mojo.com's Top 10 Sketches of the past decade. I thought there were several surprises.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, I'm realizing now that most of the musical guest performances will be completely cut out. That's usually my least favorite part of any show if I don't already know/like the guest (though there is the occasional one that will get me interested in somebody I'd never heard of before--I think Kacey Musgraves is the most recent example), but I think it would be funny to see who SNL thought the big gets were in, like, 1993. Because for all the Princes and Nirvanas and Rolling Stones, they have also had their share of go-nowhere flash-in-the-pan one-hit wonders, and that would be fun to revisit.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Yeah, I'm realizing now that most of the musical guest performances will be completely cut out. That's usually my least favorite part of any show if I don't already know/like the guest (though there is the occasional one that will get me interested in somebody I'd never heard of before--I think Kacey Musgraves is the most recent example), but I think it would be funny to see who SNL thought the big gets were in, like, 1993. Because for all the Princes and Nirvanas and Rolling Stones, they have also had their share of go-nowhere flash-in-the-pan one-hit wonders, and that would be fun to revisit.

I'm mostly disappointed because we won't get to see the very worst or the very best. There was a lot of mediocrity, but also so many moments in time we won't get to see. 1980-81 in particular is remembered as a season packed to the brim with talent, some at their peak, others, like Prince, just introducing themselves to the world. 

8 hours ago, ApathyMonger said:

Not even cut sketches, there's a lot that has just never been on online versions. Looking at the episode lengths on Amazon, almost every episode from the 80s and 90s is cut down to 25-40 minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B01EN8D8BC

Definitely. I hope if people are paying they will make as much available as possible. Yes, some sketches age badly, but that's what disclaimers are for (and they have some pretty horribly aged sketches on their site so I guess it isn't that anyway).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Does anyone know if John Mulaney will be hosting this season?  His episodes have been my favorite, hands down, for the past two seasons. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, Thalia said:

Does anyone know if John Mulaney will be hosting this season?  His episodes have been my favorite, hands down, for the past two seasons. 

Nothing has been announced (we will probably find out the next host or two this Saturday), but it looks like he will be on Seth Meyers' show tonight, along with Andy Samberg, Kenan Thompson, Colin Jost, etc. as part of Seth's "second chance" format where they stage SNL sketches that never made it.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 2/4/2020 at 7:17 PM, Thalia said:

Does anyone know if John Mulaney will be hosting this season?  His episodes have been my favorite, hands down, for the past two seasons. 

Wish granted!  And Daniel Craig (who I think was underrated last time he hosted) is hosting in March as well. 

https://ew.com/tv/2020/02/06/daniel-craig-john-mulaney-host-snl/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_term=4C61F6FE-4927-11EA-A14F-5C984744363C&utm_content=link&utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_ew&utm_medium=social&__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Surprised to see Daniel Craig come back to host. I didn't think he was that good the first time, and I don't remember him seeming like he enjoyed the experience. But who knows. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The passing of James Lipton has rekindled interest of Will Farrell's impression of him . . .

I've never been a Farrell fan, but this is super funny, especially the silences.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

20 hours ago, JZL said:

The passing of James Lipton has rekindled interest of Will Farrell's impression of him . . .

I've never been a Farrell fan, but this is super funny, especially the silences.

And the best part - the stack of cards!

 

Share this post


Link to post

While we wait for news on whether the 28th's episode will continue (I'm guessing no, to be honest), Heidi Gardner is encouraging people to write to nursing homes.

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

 It seems fairly certain the show will be benched for the foreseeable future, which isn't all bad.  I don't think I could take an hour and a half of political skits, coronavirus skits and political coronavirus skits.  

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/14/2020 at 4:06 PM, Pete Martell said:

While we wait for news on whether the 28th's episode will continue (I'm guessing no, to be honest), Heidi Gardner is encouraging people to write to nursing homes.

 

As long as the cards are quarantined for what, 72 hours? More? I can't tell anymore.

Share this post


Link to post

38 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

This was a no-brainer (and realistically I think it's done until fall, although I'm hoping they can come back for late April or May and have some extra episodes to reach the full 21 order. With all the hell out there at the moment it could at least be a distraction. Or even summer episodes, which are so rare for the show but could be refreshing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Not surprising,  but I'm a bit bummed to be missing out on John Krasinski.  Also the fact that I'm very quickly running out of things to watch makes it a bit disheartening.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Delphi said:

Not surprising,  but I'm a bit bummed to be missing out on John Krasinski.  Also the fact that I'm very quickly running out of things to watch makes it a bit disheartening.

I agree - I was looking forward to seeing what he'd do. 

It's not really the same, but apparently tonight at 8 Eastern SNL's Instagram is having something with Heidi and Ego. I think some other cast may also be involved. 

Share this post


Link to post

I think since Convid-19 is airborn, it is extremely hard for celebrities to fly over to NYC. Not to mention the safety of the star and employees who have to do this. I think Lorne made the right decision.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Some very sad news-

Che lost his grandma to coronavirus.

He's obviously very upset and angry, naturally.

My condolences to him and his family.

  • Sad 7

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Some very sad news-

Che lost his grandma to coronavirus.

He's obviously very upset and angry, naturally.

My condolences to him and his family.

My God. I feel his lost. I don't blame him for being upset. I don't always agree with his opinions, but no one has to go through that.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

Not sure where to put this, but it's a new video (filmed around the time John Mulaney hosted in late February, presumably) with John talking about being hired for the show and his years as a writer.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Apparently SNL will be back this weekend with an at-home show. Tom Hanks may be involved (I guess he'd introduce each bit).

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

This is going to be very interesting and I would think very challenging.

I salute them for giving it a go.

I hope Che is up to it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I hope people hear about it and catch it, because my DVR didn't pick it up (it's only set to record new episodes, not repeats) and if I hadn't seen it here, I wouldn't know about it. When I went to set the recording, my listings were still saying it's a repeat.

 

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

I hope people hear about it and catch it, because my DVR didn't pick it up (it's only set to record new episodes, not repeats) and if I hadn't seen it here, I wouldn't know about it. When I went to set the recording, my listings were still saying it's a repeat.

Yeah, it's very last-minute planning. I think Mulaney's episode was going to repeat this weekend. I'm not sure if they saw Seth's and Jimmy's shows were doing alright and they thought they'd try, or if they're worried because they may not be back on until September or October and realized that's a huge gap of time and people could just drop out of watching the show (I'd seen some fans asking for an at-home show so maybe they realized there was some interest, I don't know). Apparently this is a one-off for now, so I wonder if they will just go back to reruns from this point on or if they are just waiting to see how the technical issues fare or how viewers react. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

I'm not sure if they saw Seth's and Jimmy's shows were doing alright and they thought they'd try, or if they're worried because they may not be back on until September or October and realized that's a huge gap of time and people could just drop out of watching the show

I don't think Jimmy and Seth's formats translate to SNL. I think SNL might have been inspired by what their cast was able to do from home. 

I'm wondering if they're going to actually do it live or if it'll be pre-recorded.  They really can't have technical glitches.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't think Jimmy and Seth's formats translate to SNL. I think SNL might have been inspired by what their cast was able to do from home. 

I'm wondering if they're going to actually do it live or if it'll be pre-recorded.  They really can't have technical glitches.

If they have a host (if Tom is involved) you'd think it would be pre-recorded, but I'm not sure. I'd think they'd be more likely to tape considering all the glitches going on and also the hacking and zoom-bombing possibilities. I am curious as to how the whole thing will go - if they will just divide up pieces between cast members (like Aidy/Kate in one, Alex/Mikey in another, Kyle/Beck, etc.). I guess we'll see.

Anyway, everybody has already done these but I thought this was kind of cute:

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size