Type keyword(s) to search

SNL in the Media

• Start Topic

Buzzfeed says this  is the hardest SNL quiz you'll ever take.

I did better than I thought.  It says I got 19 out of 20 right, and I guessed at more than a couple.  The hardest ones for me were the question about the jazz musician never to appear and the question that laid out the seasons in numbers.  I can't remember who was on season 10, 15, 24, etc. right off my head. 

I didn't know they were doing an updated version of Tom Shales' book "Live From New York". I found this nice excerpt on Tumlbr where Amy Poehler talks about the birth of her first child:

“In a very ridiculous way, I was thinking that I had control over when my baby was going to come… on Friday night he decided he wanted to start coming and he wanted to get there by Saturday, and so I texted Mike Shoemaker and Seth in the middle of the night and said, “I’m not going to make the show tomorrow.” From what I understand, it was really exciting because everyone had these fill-ins for my parts. Elisabeth Moss filled in for herself in a “Mad Men” sketch, and she met Fred Armisen that night, and a year later, on my son’s birthday, they were married. That was also the night where Seth had to do “Update” for the first time, and I held my newborn son in my arms as I watched Maya and Kenan sing a song to me and him. Seth tapped on the “Update” desk, which he does now pretty regularly out of a lovely habit, and I felt it was really one of those really incredibly moving moments where all these moments in my life were happening at the same time and I felt my heart crack open.

It was just love with a capital L all over there. Getting it, receiving it, feeling it, seeing this little person, my first son, and seeing the people I loved so much at my job. It felt very real to me and it is very real to me. I treasure the love and relationships that I have there and continue to have because of that job.”

• Love 3

Wait, I'm confused. Does the proposed amendment actually say that shows like SNL won't be able to do political sketches anymore or is Ted Cruz being an idiot? Cuz lemme tell you a thing about freedom of speech. As a communications and media studies major, I get the first amendment pounded into my head ad nauseam. The whole purpose of freedom of speech, the press, right to assemble, etc. is to give people the power to criticize the government so that we can make changes to it. Political speech is the number one type of speech protected by the first amendment. Censor that in any way and you're censoring a basic, fundamental American right. This country doesn't have much going for it but damn, at least it has that.

• Love 1

Ugh, I'm gonna miss Nasim. I wish her the best of luck on Mulaney and all her other endeavors, but man...I hope Mulaney does well because I like her and John Mulaney, but I feel like her talents are kind of being wasted on it, from what I've seen of promos, anyway. I mean, she's a really great sketch comedienne. She can do characters and impressions and has always been able to stand out on the show (hell, she's the lone female that survived the Wiig years). And Mulaney just looks like your basic, nothing-special sitcom and her character seems so...normal. She's got an inner weirdo and I'm gonna miss being able to see that play out.

Also, her little story about meeting Kim Kardashian was hilarious. "Do we really sound like that?" Gold.

Edited by helenamonster

What's this documentary you speak of?

He filmed behind the scenes of a December 2008 John Malkovich episode.

Speaking of which, A&E Biography aired a 2-hour episode going behind the scenes of a week at SNL hosted by Gwyneth Paltrow in November 2001. I wish I could see that again

For the 40th anniversary, Slate has been talking to a couple of writers about their SNL cast member influences.  The two they've had so far:

Jack Handey on Phil Hartman

Bryan Tucker on Keenan Thompson

I think the second one answers a lot of questions as to why Keenan has stuck around for as long as he has.

I agree with the article that Keenan's reactions are hilarious, specifically as the bartender in those last call at the bar sketches where Kate McKinnon makes out with whoever.

Key & Peele are on the cover of the Entertainment Weekly Comedy Issue and make a list of their favorite sketches. Among them are the Richard Pryor/Chevy Chase one (duh), but I was pleasantly surprised that they included Toonces the Cat. They talked about the difference between haha funny and aha funny. I remember Toonces from when Comedy Central would air reruns from the early '90s, and it seemed that they did Toonces almost every show and it was soooooo weird every time.

• Love 1

Toonces was one of those late '80s/early '90s SNL recurring sketches that was super-weird, & if you put it in the wrong hands, probably would have fizzled. In the right hands? Instant hilarity! (At least in my opinion, & for the same reasons I found stuff like Massive Headwound Harry & Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer so hilarious, also.)

• Love 2

Prince was just announced as the musical guest for the Chris Rock episode. That is a freaking GET for them; I can't remember the last time Prince actually performed on TV (I know he was on New Girl last year, but he didn't perform).

I am pumped for that.

No, I think at the end of the episode he did, though he had a speaking role during the episode. As for performing on TV, I think I remember him being on Arsenio Hall's new show before it was canceled. As for SNL, according to Vulture, he was on in 1981 (promoting Dirty Mind, I'm going to guess) and 2006. http://vulture.com/m/2014/10/chris-rock-prince-snl.html Edited by DowntonStabby

I'm hoping for some Nat X.

And I'm excited for Prince, and I usually don't get excited for the musical guests at all.  I wonder if they will let him do three songs like Paul McCartney.

• Love 2

Ooh, looking forward to Chris Rock! At least the monologue will be good, if nothing else. But I think like Sarah Silverman he'll be able to shake the writers up enough to get them to try new things.

Bet he sings. Kidding. (I think).

• Love 1

Chris Rock and Prince should boost the ratings a fair bit. I hope they get him on Weekend Update to do some ranting, hopefully polking fun at how calm Michael is.

While reading the story, I can't believe Jim Carrey has only hosted twice. and that there was 15 years between the first two hosting gigs. One of his best moments on the show wasn't when he was hosting, but when he jumped on the stage and started playing air guitar for during the Foo Fighters performance (on a Walken hosted episode in 2003).

Video proof (

)

Didn't Coldplay get something like 3.5-4 songs the night Amy had her baby? It was 2008, Jon Hamm's first time hosting. There was some last-minute juggling in other areas, too, since Amy had been scheduled to take part in the show that week.

I think they threw the Black Eyed Peas out there for an extra song during the January Jones disaster.

Edited by Dejana

Springsteen ever been on?

Wiki reports that Springsteen played three songs as the musical guest in the Tom Hanks episode in Season 17. He was also the musical guest for the season 28 premiere with Matt Damon in 2002 (only two songs.)

I disappointed because Bill Hader was the guest star on an episode meant to tape Oct 24th. I'm sure there would have been laughs.

Mulaney hasn't been canceled. It's still airing. But they just finished shooting 13 episodes, and Fox has reduced the episode order to 13, which is not a good sign.

RE: Leslie Jones: I wonder what her trajectory will be...she could be huge for the show.

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 1

Aww yeah. If she and Chris Rock don't get to interact in at least one sketch when he hosts I will not be happy.

Their energy together will be great.  I just can't wait to see him back, period.

Paul McCartney kind of did three and a half songs: he and Linda sang back up for Adam Sandler's Red Hooded Sweatshirt song on WU.

I really liked Leslie's relationships piece at WU in the premiere this season, but I really hope that she has enough range to be a cast member. Having energy is great and something that this cast needs, but being over the top all the time isn't a good thing either.

I agree with the article that Keenan's reactions are hilarious, specifically as the bartender in those last call at the bar sketches where Kate McKinnon makes out with whoever.

His reaction to Amy Poehler made that classic "I'm No Angel" skit in the Josh Brolin show.

Even if Leslie Jones doesn't have a lot of range, she has been intensely funny in her over-the-top appearances so far and hopefully will continue to be so. Some extra energy in a few skits wouldn't do the show any harm, particularly with half the Generic White Guy Brigade still around competing to see who can give the most laid-back monotone delivery.

Edited by Bruinsfan