Type keyword(s) to search

SNL in the Media

• Start Topic

On 8/13/2022 at 11:05 PM, Pete Martell said:

I don't think either of them would be interested - if anyone takes over (although now I'm wondering if Lorne wants to shut it down and Kenan said that to prepare viewers) I'm guessing it is someone currently working at the show.

It basically all comes down to what Lorne wants. If he personally asked Tina to do it, I'm sure she would do it. She would be obvious choice from a producing/showrunner perspective with her experience with 30 Rock. (She ran a couple of live shows from the 8H stage, too.). But she has always seemed like Lorne's protege to me.  

• Like 2
On 8/18/2022 at 5:23 PM, vb68 said:

It basically all comes down to what Lorne wants. If he personally asked Tina to do it, I'm sure she would do it. She would be obvious choice from a producing/showrunner perspective with her experience with 30 Rock. (She ran a couple of live shows from the 8H stage, too.). But she has always seemed like Lorne's protege to me.  

She definitely still seems close to Lorne. Based on some of her comments about being glad to not be a part of  SNL today I have never been sure, but there's always a possibility.

Here's one person who likely won't be taking over:

https://deadline.com/2022/08/snl-producer-lindsay-shookus-exits-20-years-1235096222/

I feel like if the show is going to continue post-Lorne, it should be radically revamped. The structure is so locked in now that it has ossified. (Cold open/monologue/fake commercial/live sketches/filmed sketch/musical guest/weekend update/yadda yadda yada.) Anyone who maintains that structure is going to be compared, unfavorably, to Lorne. Dare to give us something new, for God's sake!

• Love 1
On 8/20/2022 at 8:09 AM, Milburn Stone said:

I feel like if the show is going to continue post-Lorne, it should be radically revamped. The structure is so locked in now that it has ossified. (Cold open/monologue/fake commercial/live sketches/filmed sketch/musical guest/weekend update/yadda yadda yada.) Anyone who maintains that structure is going to be compared, unfavorably, to Lorne. Dare to give us something new, for God's sake!

We're probably getting off topic, but I'd happily retire Weekend Update for a while once Che and Jost leave. 

On 8/21/2022 at 1:51 PM, Pete Martell said:

We're probably getting off topic, but I'd happily retire Weekend Update for a while once Che and Jost leave. 

I Know That You Do Not Know Who Would Take The Place OF Colin And Michael Che, BUT, They Have ALWAYS Had Week End Update ! They Need To Do Jokes About What Is In The News ! I KNOW, They Have The Cold Open With What Is Going On In The News,  But, They STILL Need To Do Other Jokes About What Is Going On In The News ! Also, When They Have Commentaries, Then, You Get to See Characters That The Cast Members Do And You Get To Know The Cast Better ! You Get Tim Calhoun And Tim Kasserinski ! ! You Get Jane You Ignorant Slut With Point Counter Point And  Jacob Who Keeps On Reading The Bible Or What Ever Vanessa Did ! ! Some Characters Are VERY POPULAR Like Cecily Being That Person On Fox Throwing Things On Colin Or Norm Talking About OJ OR Emily Litella Or Roseanne Roseannadanna ! Bowen Would Not Be The Ice Berg OR Future Trends With Aidy! ! You Wouldn't Have Jason Being The Devil Or Even Anistotle Being That Robot Character ! ! 

• Like 1

I'm really going to miss Alex. He was very underrated and never really got a chance to shine outside of "I'm Eric!" I guess the handwriting was on the wall when they quickly axed his Biden impression. One impression I'm going to miss is his Chuck Schumer. 

I'm surprised Melissa lasted as long as she did to be honest. She was always very quick to voice her dissatisfaction, even with the audience. Lorne has usually had a very low threshold with malcontents. 

I guess this means Punkie is staying, which is one bit of good news. 

Edited by vb68
  • Like 1
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, carrier76 said:

Bummed about Alex and Melissa.

Also bummed that it seems like Sarah Sherman remains.

Maybe Sarah Will Only Be In Sketches And Stop Being On Week End Update And Doing Things To Colin! I Thought She Was Good Being A Baby With Bowan ! I Thought She Was Good In That Store Selling Furniture Or What Ever IT Was With That New York Accent ! !

5 hours ago, vb68 said:

I'm really going to miss Alex. He was very underrated and never really got a chance to shine outside of "I'm Eric!" I guess the handwriting was on the wall when they quickly axed his Biden impression. One impression I'm going to miss is his Chuck Schumer. 

I'm surprised Melissa lasted as long as she did to be honest. She was always very quick to voice her dissatisfaction, even with the audience. Lorne has usually had a very low threshold with malcontents. 

I guess this means Punkie is staying, which is one bit of good news. 

I Think Alex Should Have Stayed And Played Eric Trump For When Eric Might Go To Jail OR Don JR Or Ivanka And IF Donald Trump Goes To Prison ! ! They Will Want Him Then And He Won't Be There ! Another Thing He Did Besides The Man Who Bought A Boat Was The Movie Critic Who Did Movie Reviews ! IT Looks Like Cecily IS Staying And Just Not Going To Be There In The Fall ! IT Looks Like Chris And Kenan Are Staying ! ! IT Looks Like Colin And Michael Che Are Both Staying And Doing Week End Update ! ! The Cast Was Too Big ! I Don't Think Lorne Should Get Any More Cast Members ! I Don't Know Whether They Will Keep Using Those Kids OR Not ! ! ! Maybe, They Might Just Be Writers For The Show ! ! ! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

With seven departures since last year, the SNL cast is down to a measly......um, 14 people.  And it's basically 17 if you count the "Please Don't Destroy" trio.

It's probably safe to guess that at least a couple of new cast members will be added.  But, SNL is already so loaded that I'd prefer to see the show make better use of the actors already on board.

• Love 2

I think having a huge cast was a hedge against COVID-induced absences and also a way to keep the long-timers around (give them the ability to take episodes off for other projects). 

It can be a good thing if it allows them to showcase different skillsets. But the problems with SNL has always been that the writing is not always up to the challenge of making great content on a fast turnaround week after week. Maybe they should add more writers.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, OutOfTheQuestion said:

With seven departures since last year, the SNL cast is down to a measly......um, 14 people.  And it's basically 17 if you count the "Please Don't Destroy" trio.

It's probably safe to guess that at least a couple of new cast members will be added.  But, SNL is already so loaded that I'd prefer to see the show make better use of the actors already on board.

Since Michael Che and Colin Jost only do Update, and Cecily is possibly  going to miss some shows as she has another project around the time the season starts, I believe, so that would bring us down to 11. I can't argue that this is still a notable number of people, but I feel like I've already seen everything of Mikey, Kenan and Cecily, so I would prefer a few new voices...at least if they aren't just attempts to replicate departed  cast members. 

I'm more interested in seeing a few of the longtime writers depart, although I guess that isn't likely. 

I had expected Aristotle and Melissa to go, but I wasn't expecting Alex. I guess I should have as he has done some outside work in the last few years and he was also on Weekend Update for the finale, which was surprising as he had already been on a number of times that season. Alex was so wasted (especially in seasons 45 and 46). We never really got to see the potential he so clearly had. I hope it was his choice to leave. I think the show will miss him.

7 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think having a huge cast was a hedge against COVID-induced absences and also a way to keep the long-timers around (give them the ability to take episodes off for other projects). 

It can be a good thing if it allows them to showcase different skillsets. But the problems with SNL has always been that the writing is not always up to the challenge of making great content on a fast turnaround week after week. Maybe they should add more writers.

I think the problem is some of the longstanding writers. Kent Sublette, Che and Jost. I know SNL is always going to have some of the same flaws because they predate any of these three, but Sublette in particular I just do not enjoy a lot of their writing - I find it clunky and tiresome.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I hope that's it, but when that's the case, don't we usually know it by the end of the season? 

Not always. Beck's exit wasn't announced until not long before the season 47 premiere. The same happened with Leslie Jones and Jason Sudeikis.

• Useful 1

I don’t “do” Twitter, but I’d love to see (former writer) Bob Odenkirk host.  Or Sheryl Lee Ralph.  Pedro Pascal would be cool in early 2023 because he will have several projects to promote then.

I saw on SNL’s YouTube channel that they return on October 1.  I wonder who will host then?

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

The new  cast:

I checked out what I could find of their comedy, and Michael Longfellow is my favorite, so far.  He has a very confident, but easygoing delivery and he has an original take on things.  He seems like someone who could do well with characters on Update, as well as in sketches.  They're all very different from each other, so I look forward to seeing how they do.

Edited by LADreamr
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, vb68 said:

Just on first impressions, I hope they do not use Molly Kearney as an Aidy clone. We already saw with that poor cast member from a few years ago that it doesn't work. 

I had that thought too,  but then seeing some of her comedy and learning a little about her, I don't think there is any way they could.  They have completely different personalities.  She's a much bigger stage presence, as opposed to Aidy's sweetness.  Both of them are funny, just really different.  Molly is also the show's first nonbinary cast member.  I think she could be really interesting.  I hope they don't waste her.

• Love 4

Molly supposedly uses they/them pronouns. 

I don't know how much their nonbinary status will be really relevant in most of the sketches though as many of the female cast members (especially Kate) occasionally played male characters, and in the past male cast members would play female characters (like Dana Carvey and the Church Lady).

ETA: Molly is giving me Melissa McCarthy vibes. 

Edited by madpsych78
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Molly supposedly uses they/them pronouns. I don't know how much their nonbinary status will be really relevant in most of the sketches...

I hope not, but I think it will. It seemed like some time before Bowen Yang was playing characters that didn't come off his ethnicity.

20 hours ago, vb68 said:

Just on first impressions, I hope they do not use Molly Kearney as an Aidy clone. We already saw with that poor cast member from a few years ago that it doesn't work. 

I Could Be Wrong, But, Lauren Holt Was On Saturday Night Live In The Fall OF 2020 Which Was Last YEAR ! 

This is coming pretty late, but Chris Redd has exited as well.

I'm surprised. I expected him to continue and be one of the anchors, especially as he would now be one of the senior guys. I wonder if this was his decision. If not, why was it announced after all the other departures.

I thought he had some room to grow and take on more. I'm disappointed with this announcement.

Edited by vb68
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 5
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I'm surprised. I expected him to continue and be one of the anchors, especially as he would now be one of the senior guys. I wonder if this was his decision. If not, why was it announced after all the other departures.

I thought he had some room to grow and take on more. I'm disappointed with this announcement.

Aww, nuts! He is one of my favorites.

• Love 11
46 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I'm sure it must have been his choice as it came after all the other announcements. I saw some fan speculation that he may have had other projects in the works and would have been offered a chance of coming back for part of the season and maybe just decided to leave altogether.

I liked Chris a lot, he had such a warm presence and was great at reactions. He had a strong season last year. I do think last season was his peak - I wonder if he may have felt the same way. 

8 cast leaving. This is the most since the infamous season 20. I just hope they aren't going to rest on their laurels for the premiere, the way they usually do. The show is going to need to be in stronger shape to avoid all the negative scrutiny brought on by all the exits. 

I also wish some of the longstanding writers were going with them.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, LADreamr said:

I loved his Eric Adams, and was looking forward to more of that.

Yeah, I bet they desperately wanted him to stay just for that impression alone. That's one of the very few things from last season that everyone loved.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, vb68 said:

Yeah, I bet they desperately wanted him to stay just for that impression alone. That's one of the very few things from last season that everyone loved.

I've watched the press conference from the Ariana DeBose episode several times.  "She's kidding.  But she's from the Bronx, so is she?" 🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, possibilities said:

I wish they'd added more women. One thing I've liked is that the recent years weren't so grossly lopsided in favor of male cast. But that era seems to be over.

Not counting Jost and Che, there are now 8 men in the cast and 7 women, so not that lopsided. (Cecily's going to be out for at least the first 3 episodes of the season though, due to her doing her one-woman show). 

• Useful 2