Type keyword(s) to search

The TNS Contributors: Rave? or Rant?

Jordan Carlos turned up this past weekend in the latest ep of The Affair, playing a college journalist/book critic. He got into an almost bar fight with Dominic West. Almost, because DW took a swing and Jordan dodged it with cat-like reflexes.  

Are Robin, Holly, Mike, Jordan, Ricky, Grace, and Rory the only regular contributors left?

They are the primary ones, but Kerry Coddett and Bobby Gaylor have also popped up on the panel as "Nightly Show contributors."

And just like that, there's a new contributor:

NEW YORK, February 1, 2016 - "The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore" adds Franchesca Ramsey to its roster of contributors with her first appearance on the show tomorrow, Tuesday, February 2 at 11:30 p.m. ET/PT on Comedy Central, it was announced today by Larry Wilmore, Executive Producer, Writer and Host of the program.

Franchesca Ramsey (@chescaleigh) is a New York City based writer, actress, video blogger and host of the MTV web series “Decoded.” Known to many online fans as Chescaleigh, Ramsey created her first viral video, “Sh*t White Girls Say…to Black Girls,” in January of 2012. It garnered more than 1.5 million views in 24 hours, 5 million views in just 5 days, currently has 11 million views and has been featured on MSNBC, ABC, The Daily Mail and “Anderson Cooper Live,” to name a few.

• Love 1

That really is terrible about his wife. And I like knowing more about his background. But this is really disappointing:

“When you say it’s sexist, you’re saying you know exactly what the intention was. So you’re a mind reader.”

Sexism isn't only about intent, any more than racism is only about intent. How can he not understand that what you do is not only in your mind, it's in the world and happens in a larger context, impacting others? And even if you don't consciously realize what you're doing, that doesn't mean you aren't doing it.

• Love 4
(edited)

Holly Robinson is awesome in 99% of her sketches. Didnt like the one where she's getting a massage; the other sketches were all golden. Love her! 

Edited by Tosia

Robin Thede is keeping it 100:
On Making the TV Writers' Rooms More Diverse

I didn't realize Robin was no longer the head writer on TNS. Looks like it's currently Tom Ruprecht. My guess is that as Robin took on more roles on-air, being head writer as well was just too much. (Ruprecht is a former writer for "Late Show with David Letterman.")

I saw an independent film called "Don't Think Twice" today and part of it is set at a comedy show that is based on "Saturday Night Live." At one point there is a scene in the office of the "Lorne Michaels" character and he has several Emmys on a shelf. During the end credits, there's a "thank you" to Rory Albanese for letting the filmmakers borrow his Emmys. (He won them for "The Daily Show" and not "Nightly," though I think "TNS" surely deserved some Emmy love as well!)

Franchesca Ramsey is coming back to Comedy Central with her own show! Or at least a pilot.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/franchesca-ramsey-late-night-show-pilot_us_58f635ebe4b0da2ff8638a3e

It's an interesting concept - giving a talented writer/performer a platform to explore issues of identity and present underrepresented voices to a wider audience. Certainly the kind of thing that deserves a place on Comedy Central and has been missing lately.

• Love 2