Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: I'm So Happy That Josh Is So Happy!

My favorite part of Hector's parking story (probably 10x more lines than he's had all season) was how it ends with "cuz I used to have to pay." Poor Hector.

Also, cuz I'm shallow, more of White Josh in tanks, or better yet, shirtless. Can't they start a sand volleyball game? It's SoCal.

Edited by PokerNerd

My interpretation is that Josh was acting out the way that Paula was acting out. He's mad that Valencia dissed the table gesture, and he's feeling conflicted between his loyalty and his frustration. I'm not saying it was good behavior, but I think we're meant to see a parallel.

I liked Valencia the most when she and Rebecca were friends. She seemed genuinely into having a girlfriend, and appreciative of Rebecca in that role. And, it was totally Rebecca's fault that fell through and that Valencia now hates her. It doesn't really excuse Valencia for being bitchy and controlling with Josh, but I bet she's a bit suspicious of him right now, as well, and rightfully so, since so are the viewers of the show, seeing him cozying up to Rebecca and hiding it from Valencia. He reacts to the tension between him and V by distancing and going behind her back, and she reacts by clinging harder and trying to control him. They are both at fault but it's like two sides of the same dysfunction. the only question is: how long as this been going on? We've seen since the beginning that Josh is scared of V. But how long as Josh been doing stuff behind her back? And where did her suspicion/jealousy/controlling and his avoidance/sneaking around start? It might be that they were both always like this, or it might be that one of them started it and the other reacted. We don't know yet.

I loved the episode, except for feeling it tried to make us hate Valencia. I'm hoping that we get to see her in a more balanced light in the future. For a show that claims to be consciously feminist (see interviews), it would sure be disappointing for them to portray a tropey one dimensional evil girlfriend as the villain of an otherwise nuanced show.

I'm also curious about why Valencia is with Josh. He's not the typical boyfriend I'd expect from a character like her.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 6

I'm also curious about why Valencia is with Josh. He's not the typical boyfriend I'd expect from a character like her.

I've noticed that one of the underlying themes of this show is the tendency to fall back into the comfortable and safe. I think West Covina represents that for both Josh and Rebecca (for Rebecca, Josh specifically also represents that). This might be kind of a stretch, but I feel like sometimes people cling to old relationships for that same reason. In high school, Josh and Valencia probably made a lot of sense - both attractive, both popular, a natural fit. For both Josh and Valencia, their relationship feels safe and comfortable and easy to fall back into, even if they might not be a perfect fit anymore. 

I think it would be interesting if Valencia wound up breaking up with Josh of her own accord. I don't feel like it'll go that way, but it would be an interesting way of progressing things if she realizes that they don't work before he does. 

• Love 3

I can't believe that Hector's song made it past the censors.

So glad that Paula finally got some loving! I hope that she divorces the singing husband and gets with Calvin.

Really liked the shrink.