Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

I just watched Episode 4 of Jessica Jones and I'm feeling confused as well as somewhat dim-witted. I can't understand the plot line about the woman who hired Jessica to get pictures of her husband.

I suppose I really need to re-watch the episode again. But, I'm curious if anyone else had trouble understanding that after a single viewing. Do you think I should give it another viewing? Or should I just swallow my pride and ask for help here. It seemed like the entire episode was difficult to understand. But very exciting. I actually forgot I was watching actors. That has not happened in a very long time. I rarely get lost in TV shows and forget I'm watching a staged play of sorts. However, I really and truly enjoy this show. It's very exciting and it's quickly becoming one of my most favorite shows.

I finally, after 7 months, finished watching the series.

My take : I liked the characters and the moody atmospherics. Visually, the show was appealing.

I haven't changed my mind on the over-all narrative structure, however. In episode after episode, Jessica would put into effect some preposterous, Wile E. Coyote-like scheme to trap Kilgrave ( "I'll confess to murder, get thrown into prison, and when Kilgrave comes to see me his mind control ability will be caught on the prison's cameras! How can this not work?"),  only to have Roadrunner Kilgrave elude the "trap". And we, the viewers, knew going in that Kilgrave would elude the trap because otherwise the series would be over. It made for frustrating viewing.

Anyway, I'll watch series 2. Just hope the writers can shape a more pleasing season-long arc.

3 hours ago, AliShibaz said:

I just watched Episode 4 of Jessica Jones and I'm feeling confused as well as somewhat dim-witted. I can't understand the plot line about the woman who hired Jessica to get pictures of her husband.

If I remember correctly they basically hired her and forced her into a trap. Something tragic happened to them when the aliens invaded (see the 1st Avengers movie), so they blamed all super powered people. They were going to trap and I think kill Jessica as some sort of weird version of revenge.

I have to ask ... if they want to abduct Kilgrave, why don't they just wear earplugs so they can't hear him? Wouldn't that be good enough to prevent him from commanding them until they put him into that safe room?

You also need pretty good ear plugs to completely block out sound. Generally i think  they just reduce sound levels down to safe levels. Plus i am not sure anyone really knew exactky how his powers worked. Could anyone say for sure that if he said something and you didn't hear it his powers wouldn't work? Not sure i would want to take that risk.

What would happen if he said something and kind of mumbled and you heard something else. Would you follow the direction you heard or what he said?

• Love 1

Well, I finished watching all 13 episodes and I think this is one of the best new TV shows I've ever seen.

Even though I knew it was a TV show, I was kept on the edge of my seat for almost all 13 episodes. That is something that has almost never happened to me before. There were a few minor things that I didn't like. But the central idea that someone could possess the power of mind control and whatever they tell people to do, those people feel compelled to carry out was so extremely new and fresh and powerful. I loved it.

I have more to say. But since the show is no longer in production, I will wait to see if anyone else wishes to discuss this show any more.

Does anyone know if it will go back into production for a second season?

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, AliShibaz said:

Does anyone know if it will go back into production for a second season?

Yes, they got a second season. It's going to be filming back to back with The Defenders series. 

11 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Yes, they got a second season. It's going to be filming back to back with The Defenders series. 

Oh wonderful! I have wanted to check out The Defenders. So, that is very convenient.

In the meantime, I have written to a few people and I've posted some info to a few boards where I belong to tell people about this show because I think it is just wonderful. There are some small problems with it. But they are outweighed by all the wonderful attributes.

IMHO, the main positive attribute about this show is that it's a wonderful story and all the most important characteristics (such as the acting and direction) are quite wonderful. But it also has so many wonderful small components (like the hauntingly beautiful music), that it was a real joy to watch. It is so seldom that I find a show that seems to be banging on all cylinders. I am so very happy to have discovered this wonderful show.

Thank you all very much!

5 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

I hope there won't be too much of a crossover between the Marvel property after The Defenders. I am not watching any of the Marvel movies, I have given up on Daredevil and I'm not sure if Luke Cage or Iron Fist will grab me. 

I must say that I have been so disappointed on all the Marvel movies and other properties. This show is the only Marvel property that has grabbed me in this way. I wonder what the reason might be. Do you think it is entirely due to the showrunner? Or is there some other person contributing to this show that has made such a huge difference?

I'd love to find out so that I could check out any other work done by that mystery person. (Well, a mystery to me. But that really doesn't make them a mystery. I am very lacking when it comes to answering questions like this. Would anyone here have an opinion on who it might be who has made such a wonderful difference to this show?)

15 hours ago, netlyon2 said:

It would keep them from hearing him, but it wouldn't protect them from anyone else that Kilgrave controlled.

Spoiler

They tried using headphones with loud blasting music. But that failed to work out very well.

But, I think it was worth a try.

It was a shame they decided not to keep this villian alive for future seasons. As villians go, he was pretty damn terrific. Don't you think?

In any case, I sure hope they find a new villian for next season who is maybe even half as villianous as that guy.

If I don't parlez with any of you until next season, thank you all very much for answering my questions. I sure did appreciate your help. I think you folks are all pretty teriffic.

In the end, I'd be interested to know just who were your favorite characters this season as well as your least favorite.

The lady who lost her twin brother had to be one of my least favorites. Her circumstances were very unique and she could have been an interesting character. But I found her to be such a miserable mess. She had almost zero redeeming characteristics. I thought it would have been quite easy to have this character behave in a few ways that would have made her somewhat endearing to the audience. But, sadly, her character was written so that she just appeared "batshit crazy" without any positive attributes. I found myself wishing that someone would just remove her head instead of her brothers. Sigh ... Oh well.

• Love 1

I've enjoyed the other Marvel movies/shows, but I really loved this one and Agent Carter.

I'm actually glad that Killgrave is dead. He was great villain, one of the best in the Marvel universe imo. However too many shows keep the villain alive because they love the actor and it starts to become ridiculous that hero is letting the bad guy continue to hurt/kill people. Even in this season how many times did Jessica have to fail and let Killgrave escape and more people were hurt? They dragged it out until the finale which was okay for me, since she did kill him in the end. I'm also not someone that thinks that heroes shouldn't kill. I think they should kill when it's necessary to save lives. Killgrave with his power wouldn't be in jail long the only way to end his reign of terror is to end his life. That made the ending of the season satisfying to me. He needed to die to make this show great.

As for least favorite characters, I agree with the sister. She was just annoying and one of the only stupid storylines in this otherwise fantastic show. I think she was only needed so they could drag out the Killgrave storyline. She needed to be stupid so Jessica would be distracted and lose Killgrave again.  

For favorite character, I'm in the minority on this board because it's Jessica. She's exactly the type of character I'm drawn too. The dark, mopey type that save the world and don't expect people to pat them on back or give them rewards like some of the more happy go-lucky types do. They do it because they can or want to, not because they want to be a hero. 

I know Trish is a fan favorite, but Trish herself is the type of character that I don't hate but also don't put much thought into the character. I really enjoyed her and Jessica's friendship though, since we don't get a lot of real female friendships in this male bromance dominated world. I know everyone else thinks she's the greatest thing ever. For me she's okay and I enjoy her presence on this show. Malcolm grew on me on towards the end when he actually realized that Jessica was helping people. I can't wait for him to be her assistant. Luke was just there, great to look at but just there. I'm not really interested in watching his show. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

For me it's the fact that this show works better on a personal level. It's really not about superheroes, villains or saving the world. It's about Jessica, her tragic backstory and her personal journey to come to terms with it. Any traditional superhero/comic-book elements are more like furniture dressing. That's the best kind of superhero story. That's why Buffy will always be my favorite superhero show. Jessica is a character that is relatable, dealing with real world issues just as much as she is dealing with larger-than-life comic book stuff. Everything else that Marvel has put out might be great escapism, but it doesn't have the same intimacy and not the same emotional punch. 

Well put! I had not seen the topic from that perspective before. That makes a few things much more clear for me. Thanks so much.

• Love 1
(edited)

I recently got curious about the relationship between Jessica Jones and other Marvel comic heroes.

I'm guessing that most all of you already know what I'm about to post. But I searched for "marvel comics list rank most popular" and found a link were someone claims they can rank the top 25 best Marvel Superheroes. I never got into any of the Marvel superheros before. I do not want to offend anyone, but I found most all of the characters listed on that site to be completely boring - especially the X-Men franchise and all their members. I'm guessing that many people here may like those comics and movies and as I said, I don't wish to offend anyone. The only superheroes I ever held an interest as a child were Superman, Batman and some strange group of American warriors who flew jet planes. I think it was called "Black Hawk" or something similar. But I have no idea if they were a Marvel franchise.

Anyway, here is the link to that site if anyone is interested. Sadly, they list Jessica Jones in last place:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/10/top-25-best-marvel-superheroes?page=5

However, you may find some interesting facts about Jessica Jones. I found a few that I would never have before guessed. For example:

Spoiler

The author states that Jessica & Luke were married at some point and had a child. Also the author makes other facts known concerning several other Marvel super heroes. So be careful if you don't want to have any other TV shows or movies spoiled.

Note to Sakura12. I liked Agent Carter for a while but eventually got tired of it. Very strangely, this site makes no mention of Agent Carter.

Some of you may find this article interesting. But be careful because it is full of spoiler info that might seriously spoil things for you concerning the second season. If you don't get spoiled by this site, I hope you will enjoy that article and I most especially hope you will enjoy the next season of Jessica Jones.

Edited by AliShibaz
4 hours ago, AliShibaz said:

The only superheroes I ever held an interest as a child were Superman, Batman and some strange group of American warriors who flew jet planes. I think it was called "Black Hawk" or something similar. But I have no idea if they were a Marvel franchise.

The Blackhawks were from DC Comics.  (I was a fan, too, back in the day. :))

Hey, the conversation's kinda veering away from the show itself.  We do have a Small Talk forum for that kinda thing, y'know. :)

On 2016-07-03 at 9:27 PM, The Crazed Spruce said:

The Blackhawks were from DC Comics.  (I was a fan, too, back in the day. :))

Hey, the conversation's kinda veering away from the show itself.  We do have a Small Talk forum for that kinda thing, y'know. :)

Heh. I had no idea the Small Talk forum was local to Jessica Jones. I was hoping it was available for all shows. I want to recommend a somewhat little known TV show to everyone. I'll have to find the proper forum for that.

6 hours ago, AliShibaz said:

Heh. I had no idea the Small Talk forum was local to Jessica Jones. I was hoping it was available for all shows. I want to recommend a somewhat little known TV show to everyone. I'll have to find the proper forum for that.

Every forum has a Small Talk thread. It's a nice cozy little spot where viewers of a particular show can hang out together and chat about whatever comes to mind, including show recommendations.  So yeah, it is the perfect forum for that sort of thing. :)

OK. For anyone who may be interested, I just thought of a good strategy they could use to defeat Kilgrave or anyone who ever gets a power similar to his.

You get maybe 20 people who don't speak a word of English and don't understand it and they surround Kilgrave and either bind him up and gag him and carry him off or beat him unconscious or kill him - depending on just what the circumstances are. That would be more effective than wearing earplugs or headphones which can always be removed.

That's assuming Kilgrave only knows English. Which is not a given. Hell, he may at least know a few words like "Stop" in the most widespread languages just for a situation like that.

Plus jessica and trish would need to find people who speaks no english that they can still explain there plan to. And there is still the fact that killgrave could have people around him that do speak english to defend him. Plus i can't remember if they even knew 100% how his powers worked and if they would not work on a non english speaker.

• Love 1
On 2016-07-06 at 9:14 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

Plus jessica and trish would need to find people who speaks no english that they can still explain there plan to. And there is still the fact that killgrave could have people around him that do speak english to defend him. Plus i can't remember if they even knew 100% how his powers worked and if they would not work on a non english speaker.

Yes. This is very true. They would have to do some research and maybe find some people who know two languages that could commuinicate. They'd have to know what language Kilgrave does speak but, it's a worthwhile strategy to study and the writers could probably make a good episode out of Jessica trying to use that strategy - even if it fails - it could be very entertaining.

I watched the first 9 episodes and lost interest. Can't say exactly why. After 6-8 months and watching The Defenders, I went back and watched the last few eps. 

Loved the villain. Way better than The Hand. More real and relatable. 

She was the star of The Defenders. Would like a second season of JJ. 

• Love 3
On 6/30/2016 at 4:17 PM, AliShibaz said:

But, I'm curious if anyone else had trouble understanding that after a single viewing.

I didn't.  Basically the woman had a grudge against super-powered people because her mother died in Loki's attack.  She somehow found out that Jessica was super-powered and set up the hire to lure Jessica into a trap and murder her.  It's sort of like if she'd been mugged by a Black person and decided to kill other Black people in retaliation for that.  As for how she found out, while Jessica doesn't advertise her abilities, she doesn't go too far out of her way to hide them either.  If someone in New York was really looking for super-people, Jessica would likely show up on their radar sooner or later.

The answer to my next question is "Because they couldn't afford them and also because we wouldn't have had a show," but why the fuck didn't Jessica just go to the Avengers, who are right there in NYC?  Hell, Trish is a famous talk show host who could likely score an interview with Tony Stark or even Captain America.  After said interview, "Listen, there's this guy who can control people completely.  My sister, who has super-powers herself, was his slave for a year.  This guy could easily decide to take Thor or the Hulk out for a test drive or some "urban renewal."  So we could kind of use your help on this."

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I wonder if years of trying to block out all her memories worked against her in this case. It is not like she has pictures of her family up in her apartment, that plus the drinking and other various trauma might make hrr memories of what people look like a lot less clear.

I think they answered this at the beginning of episode seven. From my understanding of the conversation between Alias and her daughter while they were able to cure the severe burn damage the procedures they used heavily altered her appearance, enough for even Jessica not to recognise her. I’m basing this on the fact they talked about how she was different, he showed her the mirror and she proceeded to ask did Jessica also look different. 

Although your thoughts make sense to me as an alternative if I misunderstood that scene :)

• Love 5

Overall I really liked this season. I enjoyed Jessica having to face her past in a unexpected way. Can't imagine the feeling for Alisa or Jessica to be reunited after everything that happened.

It was also interesting to see how Jessica's memories of her family were pretty much false. Her parents were seriously close to a divorce and she had no idea. Was that all being a self-centered teenager or because she had forgotten those things when trying to preserve her memories of her family. 

Also interesting is what they plan on doing for the Trish character next season. Is she going to be the villain or just another side plot for Jessica? I hope they don't go the villain route for Trish.

Is there something specific that Jeri wants from Pryce and his PI's or did she just want them on retainer, because that was confusing for me?

• Love 4

I liked this season.  I'm not sure what I was expecting but the story took a few left turns that I did not expect.

First off, the "big bad" of the season appeared to be IGH-and them offing people who knew anything about them. Of course, it turned that that Jessica's own mother was the one killing people, to protect Mr.Karl.

Mr.Karl was more than a bit of a mad scientist, trying to do good things, and ultimately, falling short. I actually felt bad for him when he decided to pull the plug on himself. He tried and tried to fix Alisa's mood swings, but it never worked.

Jessica found out her idyllic family life was a lot less happy than she thought it was. Her mother was more than a tad unstable, but Jess did get to know her a bit again, and was ultimately unable to do what Trish eventually did. Jessica will hold that against her for some time. I'm really curious what happens with the two of them next season. (I'm assuming there will be another). Basically the whole group of buddies at the start of the season are now at odds-didn't really see that coming, nor how it would happen..

A lot of people disliked Trish before, and absolutely hate her now. But I kind of understand her mindset. Her mother said it herself-Trish never wanted to be ordinary but extraordinary-and when she makes up her mind to do something, she'll do it.  She sees Jessica capable of doing great things, but all Jessica wants is to "exist"-Jessica wishes she never had powers, and Trish wished for them-and it seems she might get that wish.

And despite all of this, the season ends on something of a happy note.  Jess doesn't really seem that interested in drinking the booze she bought. Then she decides to try and embrace the good spot in her life, goes and has dinner with the new love interest, talks about her newest robbery prevention-and the whole time, a smile beams on her face. She might actually have personally turned a corner...going towards happiness rather than wallowing in sadness.

• Love 2
On 3/13/2018 at 12:08 AM, dkb said:

Is there something specific that Jeri wants from Pryce and his PI's or did she just want them on retainer, because that was confusing for me?

It seemed she has a specific task that she wants Pryce/Malcolm to take on that is something that Jessica would have an issue with, but is legal. 

She also presumably will use them on other gigs.

• Love 1

I enjoyed season two, on the whole, with all its twists and turns - not perfect, nothing is, but I enjoyed watching it, spending time with the characters and watching their continuing stories unfold - for better and for worse.

I was a bit disappointed by the lack of interconnectivity with The Defenders and the other Netflix MCU shows, mind - only the most oblique of references to Jessica's most recent experience, teaming up with the others to take down the Hand. And I mean, on the one hand, I understand why they would want the individual shows to stand alone, so that Jessica Jones fans can just watch Jessica Jones's show and understand what's going on without having to worry about what they might have missed in the team-up, but on the other hand, the team-up stands as part of the ongoing story of these characters, and it seems pointless if it isn't going to have an actual impact on them going forward. And they can't all be completely standalone - S3 Daredevil, for instance, is directly impacted by the events of The Defenders in a way that Jessica Jones wasn't, and has of necessity to pick up the storyline where the team-up left off rather than skirting around it as JJ S2 did. So, I dunno. I'd just really like to see more interconnectivity between them.

Well really, I think I'd actually kind of like it if all four shows merged to become The Defenders full-time, within which the four leads were allowed to have their own separate stories just as they do in their individual shows, but overlapping and interweaving when required in a way that the individual shows can't, even when it makes no sense for them not to. But I know that isn't going to happen!

Be interesting to see where Jessica goes from here - eventually, given how long Netflix can go between releases of these shows!

• Love 5

Trish is an idiot. She’s a grown ass woman who used subterfuge to try and become special, because she just cannot stand not being special. She needed serious therapy, I don’t want her to come back as some kind of hero after everything she did in season two. Everything she did was totally selfish, because that’s ultimately who she is. A selfish brat. Yeah she had a bad life but so have lots of people - she had the means to do better and she chose not to.

She used Malcolm, someone she knew had his own addiction issues. She lied to Jessica; that shouldn’t go without consequence. I don’t want her to suddenly be a hero in this story. She’s sort of indirectly responsible for Alisa’s subsequent freak-out and every death that occurred after that. She doesn’t deserve to be forgiven without consequence. Ugh. 

• Love 7

Hellcat

My mind is exploding with the symbolisms I picked up.

She gets her powers from hell.

Well a hellish explosion from the nightmare lab of Jessica's past.

Her whole story arc this season has her go through a modern interpretation of 'hell-and-back' as she is destroyed physically/mentally, and claws her way back out.

Jones and the lawyer make the small talk about wearing yellow, which feels like a meta discussion with the audience.

Edited by gameboyblue
On 3/14/2018 at 10:21 AM, Llywela said:

I was a bit disappointed by the lack of interconnectivity with The Defenders and the other Netflix MCU shows, mind - only the most oblique of references to Jessica's most recent experience, teaming up with the others to take down the Hand. And I mean, on the one hand, I understand why they would want the individual shows to stand alone, so that Jessica Jones fans can just watch Jessica Jones's show and understand what's going on without having to worry about what they might have missed in the team-up, but on the other hand, the team-up stands as part of the ongoing story of these characters, and it seems pointless if it isn't going to have an actual impact on them going forward. And they can't all be completely standalone - S3 Daredevil, for instance, is directly impacted by the events of The Defenders in a way that Jessica Jones wasn't, and has of necessity to pick up the storyline where the team-up left off rather than skirting around it as JJ S2 did. So, I dunno. I'd just really like to see more interconnectivity between them.

I actually appreciated that this was pretty much separate from Defenders. I don't want to watch stuff I have no interest in just so I can understand what's going on in a different series. I only got halfway through Luke Cage, and didn't watch Iron Fist or Defenders at all (and I completely forgot Punisher even exists). Unfortunately now I guess I have to watch Defenders if I want to understand where Daredevil will be when it starts again.

I'm having the same problem with the Marvel movies. Tying things together is kind of fun when there's only a few series or movies, but quickly becomes overwhelming as they start to build up.

I didn't like season 2 very much, but that's because I'm over things (books, movies, tv) making drama simply because of family connections. If Alisa weren't JJ's mother, this season could have been over in 2 episodes.

I just finished Season 2.  So please don't read if you haven't.

What the &$*! was the point of Griffin?!?!?!?!  He was with Trish, then they showed him acting really sketchy (didn't they?!) and then it just fizzled?!  Was there supposed to be some kind of resolution there?  Was he attempting to use Trish or do something behind her back?  Either way - Trish never found out, yes?

I missed so much about Shane in the last episode or two.  Inez was in love with Shane, yet also intrigued by Jeri?  Inez was Shane's partner in grifting?  Yet Jeri manipulated Inez into thinking Shane was using her?  I felt like that scene was so strange like I missed an ENTIRE episode where there was some Inez Shane backstory I was supposed to know.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

What the &$*! was the point of Griffin?!?!?!?!  He was with Trish, then they showed him acting really sketchy (didn't they?!) and then it just fizzled?!  Was there supposed to be some kind of resolution there?  Was he attempting to use Trish or do something behind her back?  Either way - Trish never found out, yes?

I had the same question and ICantDoThatDave helped me out.

• Love 1

After finishing Season 2 I did prefer the first season. Kilgrave was a much better more interesting villain. I found that season much darker than S2.

I just grew so tired of her mother. I felt like her and Jessica were constantly going back and forth. I was rooting for Jess to get away from her. 

Trish was so annoying this season. They made her so unlikable. As soon as she woke up in the hospital she started bitching to Jessica. Girl stop already. 

Malcom remains the only sympathetic character IMO. He is way too good for Jess and Trish. 

Costa is one of my faves. I really liked him.

Hogarth was way too disconnected this season. 

Krysten Ritter is probably the best actor of the Netflix marvel shows. She blows everyone else out of the water. Her and Jonathan Bernthal are the strongest performers. 

• Love 3
On 3/17/2018 at 11:45 AM, Nellise said:

I actually appreciated that this was pretty much separate from Defenders. I don't want to watch stuff I have no interest in just so I can understand what's going on in a different series. I only got halfway through Luke Cage, and didn't watch Iron Fist or Defenders at all (and I completely forgot Punisher even exists). Unfortunately now I guess I have to watch Defenders if I want to understand where Daredevil will be when it starts again.

I'll spoiler box it just in case but long story short:

Spoiler

Elektra is still around and still annoying. At the end of The Defenders she dropped a building on Daredevil but he survived and is being looked after at a convent. Everyone thinks he's dead right now.

My favourite takeaway is that the nosey neighbor from last season, while a bitch,  was right,  the Jones's did have an uneasy marriage at best.  It sounded true enough then but Jessica dismissed it so we excepted it.   I really enjoy the shades of grey.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, backhometome said:

I just grew so tired of her mother. I felt like her and Jessica were constantly going back and forth. I was rooting for Jess to get away from her. 

Agreed. By the time Alisa started to gain some control, with Jessica's help, it was too late for her to be redeemed and too late for me to want it to happen. I cared about the effects on Jessica, but Alisa was selfish and even manipulative, expecting Jessica to give up her life to go on the run. I get that she needed help, and it was fine for Karl because he was in love and wanted to do it, but it was too much to expect of Jessica and a terrible position to put her in. I didn't care if Alisa went to prison and popped up again at some later point vs. dying, and I certainly felt for her when the prison guard was torturing her, but ultimately I grew tired of her story.

• Love 2
On 17/03/2018 at 6:45 PM, Nellise said:

I'm having the same problem with the Marvel movies. Tying things together is kind of fun when there's only a few series or movies, but quickly becomes overwhelming as they start to build up.

I didn't like season 2 very much, but that's because I'm over things (books, movies, tv) making drama simply because of family connections. If Alisa weren't JJ's mother, this season could have been over in 2 episodes.

I mean, obviously mileage is going to vary on this point according to each viewer's personal preference, but this is kind of what I mean about it being a weird set-up all around. Because they created these four shows, all set in the same city in the same universe, and there has been overlap between the four from the start, to a greater or lesser extent. And then they merged the four together into a team for this one-off short season, after which...well some of the individual shows, like JJ, are able to just carry on afterward as if the team-up never happened, but then others, specifically DD, are directly impacted by the events of the team-up and can't pretend it never happened, and that ambiguity feels messy to me. Because on the one hand I absolutely appreciate why the individual shows need to stand alone for viewers who don't want to watch the others, but on the other hand, there's no point in teaming them up at all if it isn't going to have an impact on them going forward, and if the one is left to deal with lasting repercussions in the standalone show but the others aren't, then the standing alone thing is undermined anyway, in which case I'd rather they just go the whole hog and allow true and meaningful interconnectivity, in place of the current half measures.

11 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I'll spoiler box it just in case but long story short:

Reveal hidden contents

Elektra is still around and still annoying. At the end of The Defenders she dropped a building on Daredevil but he survived and is being looked after at a convent. Everyone thinks he's dead right now.

Technically,

Spoiler

it was the team that dropped the building on Matt, rather than Elektra - Colleen and Claire set the bombs. Otherwise, nicely succinct summary! Relevant points to be aware of going into DD3: Elektra was raised from the dead by the Hand; the Hand was ultimately defeated but Madame Gao was still alive last we saw her and probably escaped because she always does; Stick is dead; Matt and Elektra were fighting in a cave beneath Midland Circle when the building collapsed, so Matt's friends now believe he is dead, but the final scene showed him battered but alive, waking up in what looked like a convent - meaning that S3 has to pick up in a very different place than S2 left off.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 1
On 3/18/2018 at 10:07 PM, justmehere said:
On 3/18/2018 at 2:37 PM, backhometome said:

Agreed. By the time Alisa started to gain some control, with Jessica's help, it was too late for her to be redeemed and too late for me to want it to happen. I cared about the effects on Jessica, but Alisa was selfish and even manipulative, expecting Jessica to give up her life to go on the run.

Same.  I was relieved by the end of the season to see that Alisa really was Jessica's mother and this wasn't some long con being played out, but otherwise I was ready for her to be gone like five episodes ago.  I thought she was a pretty terrible person from the first time we saw her, and nothing she did changed that opinion.

I find it very telling that Alisa apparently knew Jessica was being hunted by Kilgrave, which means she knew Jessica was in terrible danger, and yet it was Trish getting too close to the truth about her precious Karl that made Alisa start breaking out of her room and go on rage killing sprees.  Fantastic motherly concern, that.

This season managed to make me dislike Malcolm, and I'm not sure I can forgive that.  I know the angelic good guy who really does want to devote his life to helping people can get boring, but seeing him working with Pryce just turns my stomach.

• Love 1
On 3/17/2018 at 12:45 PM, Nellise said:

I actually appreciated that this was pretty much separate from Defenders. I don't want to watch stuff I have no interest in just so I can understand what's going on in a different series.

Yeah, it's just too much television, and I'm not a "I don't watch tv person," but I am a person with limited time. I can't watch 50+ hours of a collective show to keep track. I might watch the Punisher because I like the actor. I'm sure all the shows and movies are good, but I'm not really into superheroes who are too superheroy. 

I watched on the plane. I thought they did a little too much this season. The Trish's bf plot should have been cut out. I thought the Jeri's illness was a little cliche. It was wrapped up really easy. If they were going with Jeri pulling a Mad Men, that's fine, but I think they could have sprinkled it here and there. I don't see that her having ALS was able to give her *more* motivation to screw with her partners. 

I'm fine with the main plot with the mother, though I don't how Jessica thought it would play out in the end. I felt like the writers didn't either. I would have preferred it ended with Jessica taking her to the raft and maybe the mother goes suicide by cop. Though, I won't call BS on Trish shooting her. 

I didn't have a problem with Trish. She's always clearly had issues, and addiction issues, so wanting her own powers I could buy. She's always pushing Jessica to use hers for good, and she doesn't really, so Trish figures, well, why can't I? I certainly didn't expect them to make up yet, but "I don't have any family" was eyeroll. Ok, Jessica, you grew up with her, stop it. 

I liked the sympathetic cop and the direction they went with him and Jessica. I do kind of call bs on the mother dragging the cop out of the window because I think she could have jumped and just pushed the cop back at them. 

Maybe they could have ended the mother plot earlier, but then continue to end with Karl experimenting on Trish. The last 4 episode really stretched it out too much. 

The flashback episode was my favorite, and I so hope that some early 2000s rapper did a remix of the song. Cray Cray Remix - Trish featuring Eve.