Type keyword(s) to search

Orphan Black in the Media

Thanks @Ceeg did they say that they wanted to make the clones women because of the inherent nature of men controlling women's bodies?

Not that I remember, specifically in that interview, but I do think that is a major theme throughout the series, and one that they've discussed before.

Here's an article where Tatiana talks about that a little.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/orphan-black-tatiana-maslany-season2-spoilers-1069736.aspx

This is written by Russ Cochrane who's a writer for the show, and he talks more about ownership of our bodies, and cites a few other works on the subject:

http://www.bbcamerica.com/orphan-black/2014/05/12/hive-recap-governed-chance/3/

I think because English has a lot of Germanic roots. English is like a dumbed down German/Dutch/Nordic language. He falls into the He's Foreign? bucket along with Joel Kinnaman and Alexander Saarsgard. 

Or a souped up version, rather, IMO.  Far more vibrant and versatile and heavily augmented by the romance languages in a way that's had almost a doubling effect on our vocabularies.  

Personally I don't think his accent's that awesome and was complaining about it last week to my wife.  It sometimes sounds a bit forced or put on to me.  Which is not to say the guy's not impressive.  And seemingly taking the television world by storm all of a sudden...

(edited)

Yesterday, Tatiana got a Television Critics Association nomination for Individual Achievement in Drama (the ceremony is on July 19), and today, she got a Critics Choice award nomination for Best Actress in a Drama Series (the ceremony is on June 19). She won both these awards last year.

Edited by Ceeg

Space aired a special last week about Orphan Black, with a ton of interviews with the cast and crew of the show, including

Michelle Forbes

. I was wondering what that actor's character would be like, because all the special said was that

she was a scientist

.  Thanks for clarifying, Grammaeryn!

Tatiana will be on The Tavis Smiley Show (PBS). My listings have it on 6/6, but I think it varies depending on your affiliate. It can probably also be watched on the web somewhere, as most public TV shows eventually become available for streaming.

Tavis is a pretty good interviewer. I don't watch all the time, but whenever I have, he's always seemed to be very familiar with the work of whoever he's interviewing, and to be able to really engage with his guests on a level beyond canned talking points. Unlike Jimmy Fallon, who squees about everything as though he's a huge fan, but never really seems to know what he's talking about, Tavis seems to actually be sincere when he gets fannish, and he's intelligent enough to ask questions about things like meaning and context, so I'm hoping we'll get some actual substance out of the interview.

(Now that I've made such a favorable review, without even having seen the interview, it will probably turn out to be insipid and boring, but I've enjoyed him with other interviewees, so that's where I'm coming from.)

• Love 1

Tatiana will be on The Tavis Smiley Show (PBS). My listings have it on 6/6, but I think it varies depending on your affiliate. It can probably also be watched on the web somewhere, as most public TV shows eventually become available for streaming.

Unless she's being interviewed by him again, this is an old interview from April, I think before season two premiered. Here's the youtube link, if you don't want to wait until 6/6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilWYPA_Kjkk

Those promotional "One. Of a kind" posters...are they actual posters or just promotional images? I was hoping to purchase one, but I saw only some "rare" posting on eBay. Amazon.com has only some photo posters, that early image with a person who is not Tatiana, and an image of the DVD cover. The BBC store had only DVDs.

I don't know if anyone mentioned these yet but Kristian Bruun aka Donnie does these awesome reviews/interviews after each episode where he rates the clones and talks about each episode. This is a link to last weeks episode, the new one for S2E8 should be up sometime today as per KB on Twitter yesterday when he answered my tweet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem, sorry, I totally fangirled when I got a reply from awesome Donnie lol

https://ca.celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/celebrity-news/-orphan-black--clone-club--kristian-bruun-ranks-the-clones--episode-207---knowledge-of-causes--and-secret-motion-of-things--191820028.html;_ylt=AwrBJR57zJVThj0ASQR_7IlQ

• Love 1
(edited)

Emmy ballot submissions announced today. OB wasn't submitted for much. Aside from Series, Actress, S Actor:

Nature Under Constraint (Makeup/Hair/Wtg), Mingling Its Own Nature (Cinematography), and

Governed By Sound Reason And True Religion (Director) - Totally narcissistic choice directed by a co-creator and far from the best.

I did like the description for the Makeup submission:

The Grifter - sooty, streetwise eyes, bare face.
Proclone - four foundations and liquid highlighters carve out her polished, perfect look. Signature red lip.
The Suburban Square - bright, electric colours applied "Shopping Channel" style.

Deranged Helena - Giotto inspired Madonna fresco.
Geek/genius - Kabuki style application and nature centric tattoos.

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 2
(edited)

That cross promotion with Almost Royal is amazing and I totally want DB to get cast in a comedy now. I wish I found his work on the show half as awesome as I find him in interviews and promo stuff. As an aside, that video is the first time I've ever thought Hot Paul was an appropriate nickname for him. He looks damn good.

Edited by hardy har
  • Love 1
(edited)

Tatiana's acceptance speech at the CCTA:

I'm thrilled by her second straight win (Yay!!!!) but at the same time I'm really bummed that my other favorite show, The Americans, was completely shut out of any acting wins.

I swear, if Tatiana doesn't receive an Emmy nomination (and win) next go-around I may very well riot.

Edited by OriginalCyn
  • Love 1

YAY!!! Congrats to TM!

Aw how cute was she when she got a little flustered during her acceptance speech. :-)

She was doing so well there, too, giving the business names, which actors have to do. But then she got to Tom and got all flummoxed with real emotions. She's adorable. I want her to win everything.

(edited)

DioxinBlues, I want TM to win everything too!

TM even made Go Fug Yourself's coverage of the CCTA fashions (with a cute little header description by GFY's Heahter): http://www.gofugyourself.com/critics-choice-television-awards-fugs-and-fabs-of-the-rest-06-2014/4th-annual-critics-choice-television-awards-los-angeles-5

I'm REALLY bad at posting links so apologies if the above doesn't work, just go GFY's main page and click on the gallery photos arrow in the CCTA: Fugs and Fabs of the Rest entry. I think TM is the 5th of 16 pics.

Edited by Kaboom 2.0

Congratulations to Tatiana! She deserves all the awards.

Seriously.  Best actress, best supporting actress, best guest actor, best director, best catering....

Don't forget Best Ensemble Cast. We don't want to sell her short.

(edited)

Dylan Bruce did a Google+ hangout today. Lots of interesting stuff about Dylan (his favorite clone is Alison, if he could play another role on the show it would be Donnie), a few tidbits about Paul's storyline going forward, and his take on the Paul/Rachel sex scene in 2x05 (he saw it as consensual).

I give Dylan extra bonus points for answering my question about whether he'd like Paul to hang out with Donnie and Delphine. Ha!!!

Edited by jaybear1701

Well i was trying to stay away but... I has to come check since I heard about TM's win...YAAAA!!

But I didn't get the Tom reference, who is that?  And surprised, she didn't mention any of the other actors, considering there is so few of them.

What I did notice during her red carpet interview and speech is she has a very distinctive smile, sort of with dimples and an interesting shape to her mouth.  What is amazing about OB is none of the clones have that smile, Cosmina maybe a little and Tony a little but TM has been able to keep that for herself so far.

But I didn't get the Tom reference, who is that?  And surprised, she didn't mention any of the other actors, considering there is so few of them.

Tom Cullen is her boyfriend. He was on Downton Abbey last season.

• Love 1