Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: AKA Crush Syndrome

Did anyone else start singing "Unbreakable! They alive, dammit! It's a miracle!" at the end? Just me?

Damn, I was hoping Jessica would run into Claire Temple at the hospital. Or when the lawyer friend(?) didn't want the "loser" case, I was hoping she would refer Jessica to Nelson & Murdock, the friendly neighborhood law-firm for losers, er, I mean, underdogs.

Loved the teamwork with Luke and Jessica beating the hell out of that bunch of guys, though.

Plus, so far Kilgrave is a lot scarier than Wilson Fisk. Even though we know his weakness now.

I was worried something was wrong when Trish bled into that glass of water. Good thing she was just training to be a badass warrior. Alright then.

• Love 10

The bit with Luke sawing himself was a little goofy, but I guess they just had to establish his powers, and that's an easy way to do it. Mike Colter does have charisma, but Luke needs to be more than just a Good Person who doesn't sleep with attached women. I guess now that he and Jessica know about each other, we can learn more about him.

Trish is awesome. The meddling friend who won't let you ruin yourself. At least, not without a fight. Obviously they're childhood besties, and I'm even more intrigued at where their paths diverged to the point that Jessica is a self-destructive alcoholic PI, and Trish is a successful radio show host, who wants to interview Madeleine Albright. And she's training so she can be of practical use as well. What a hellcat.

I'm glad that Hope's story is ongoing, because I did wonder if she was a one-episode sacrificial lamb for Kilgrave to get Jessica into the game. But proving he exists is the only way to exonerate Hope. Speaking of, Kilgrave is an evil, evil bastard. He takes both the EMT's kidneys, then 'kindly' arranges for a machine to keep him alive when he probably knows he'd rather be dead. I wouldn't be surprised if the stroke was something Kilgrave caused.

Not sure who that family was at the end. I guess he just felt like dropping on a random home for dinner. More reinforcement that he's just a malign, self-absorbed villain who does stuff because he wants to. More Joker than Kingpin.

They're managing to get a bit of dark humour out of some of the weirdness Jessica witnesses, which I like. The twins with the fucked up relationship, the druggie neighbour, Malcolm (who I like, and hope sticks around). Even with the show's dark, heavy tone, those moments of levity bring it up.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 6

Did anyone else start singing "Unbreakable! They alive, dammit! It's a miracle!" at the end? Just me?

Strangely, that didn't pop into my mind, even though it does pretty much every time now I hear the word. I was thinking about that Shamala...whatever movie for some reason, that I've only seen once like ten years ago.

Curios about that Luke guy. I don't have any knowledge of comic books and he didn't show up in Daredevil or the Avengers movies (or at least I don't remember), so I'm a bit baffled.

And yeah, Kilgrave's really scary. Just watched Daredevil last week, so Fisk is fresh in my mind. And while I really liked the character work and D'Onofrio did a superb job, I found him more interesting than scary.

• Love 2

Curios about that Luke guy. I don't have any knowledge of comic books and he didn't show up in Daredevil or the Avengers movies (or at least I don't remember), so I'm a bit baffled.

Luke is the subject of the third Netflix show, but he was also a major love interest to Jessica in the comics so it makes a lot of sense to introduce him here. Also, his first girlfriend when his series started was none other than Claire Temple.

• Love 1

Good episode.

Putting the children in the closet and locking it. Then the kid peeing in there was just such a good scene showing how horrible Kilgrave is.

Liked the fight at the bar with Luke and Jessica. Not fond of the saw scene.

The twins .... EWW.

Liking the friendship with Trish and Jessica as it shows a different side to Jessica. Was worried about Trish with nose bleed and the bruises so was glad that it was her training.

• Love 2

I like how they're introducing Kilgrave a lot like Sylar in Heroes. Just glimpses and flashbacks so far; it's definitely pretty unsettling. I'm not a huge David Tennant fan (didn't even like him as the Doctor) but I admit I am enjoying him as a villain. He's always creeped me out so it works.

• Love 2

I loved the bar brawl. Luke had no fucks to give. The way he casually swatted the guys away from him really made me laugh. It was a nice moment of brevity in a series that's already emotionally tense. Jessica's style of fighting is very different but then, she's not unbreakable.

I enjoy Tennant immensely but I've always known he had the creep factor going (Barty Crouch.... JUNIOR) but this amps that up to eleven. Kilgrave is an atrocity.

• Love 8

Plus, so far Kilgrave is a lot scarier than Wilson Fisk. Even though we know his weakness now.

That scene at the end with the family was absolutely chilling.   That may be the scariest scene in any of the Marvel movies or shows.  I guess the family was random, but I was curious as to how he found them or sought them out.

The bar scene was  fun.   And I like that they are mixing some humor, especially Jessica's sarcasm and one-liners, with the dark tone.

I was also waiting for Claire Temple to show up.     

• Love 1
I was worried something was wrong when Trish bled into that glass of water. Good thing she was just training to be a badass warrior. Alright then.

It's still a bit worrying. The nosebleed could be from a mind control situation. I'm particularly concerned after seeing Trish carrying that purple bag (like Hope's backback) and hearing Jessica's comment about Trish needing to control things. I don't think those are throwaway elements.

• Love 1

It's still a bit worrying. The nosebleed could be from a mind control situation. I'm particularly concerned after seeing Trish carrying that purple bag (like Hope's backback) and hearing Jessica's comment about Trish needing to control things. I don't think those are throwaway elements.

I don't know, they already did the bait and switch with the bleeding/self-defence reveal. I'm conditioned by television to see a random nosebleed as an indicator of serious, secret illness, and I think the writers of this show were banking on peoples' thoughts going straight to that trope. If they try to say the bleeding wasn't due to her workout, but was due to something else affecting her, I think I'd be a little irritated. There's such a thing as getting too twisty and convoluted.

I would think that Trish will be controlled by Kilgrave at some point during this season. Just like I imagine most characters will. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jessica have to fight Luke, when one of them is under Kilgrave's influence. The issue of self-control is clearly going to be a big one in this show, and a source of tension for various characters.

• Love 7

I think if Claire had been at Metro-General that day, she probably would have figured Jessica out with one look.  And probably would have helped her happily, which would have prevented us from seeing Jessica have to improvise, throwing in references to both ER and Grey's Anatomy.

I really fear for poor Hope.  I just don't see this ending well for her.

• Love 1

And probably would have helped her happily, which would have prevented us from seeing Jessica have to improvise, throwing in references to both ER and Grey's Anatomy.

I meant to say that I did get a chuckle out of those lines.     I don't think  they said a lot for Jessica's detective skills, though.   If the nurse had actually been more focused, those were easy catches.  Not a big deal, but I hope she can come up with better covers in the future.

Am I the only one who is basically afraid that just about everyone in her life is being controlled by Kilgrave? I assume the major characters aren't, but every time Malcolm or the male twin show up, I keep expecting them to snap and reveal they're under mind control.

I loved the Luke/Jessica fight scene. I would sacrifice most of the sex scenes for more fight scenes like that. I loved Luke just batting them away.

I'm really enjoying Trish too. I like her trying her best not to be a victim. I got the impression that she made her apartment a fortress for Jessica as much as for herself. So few characters (especially women) are shown making the smart decision to be able to defend themselves, it's refreshing to see one who actually is.

• Love 5

C'mon, no one's making an "abs of steel" joke? It's right there!

Are powered folks not public? I thought Luke's question about others seemed a little strange.

Kilgrave is the most real villain ever. He's not about ruling the world or untold wealth, he's about doing whatever the fuck he wants.

• Love 1

Ha! No, although that ridiculous Bruce Willis/M Night movie came to mind.

There's an Obi-Wan Kenobi reference in another episode that made me laugh, though.

• Love 1

Bar Fight!!!!

So we have a super power coming out scene and it worked for me. I like Luke and he has good chemistry with Jessica.

The pilot Trish looked like the typical best friend of the protagonist but it looks like she took Jessica's warning seriously and is doing her best to protect herself. I like that.

Not sure what to make of Jessica's lawyer friend (whose name escapes me). When Hope name dropped Jessica as someone who had been victimized by Killgrace she looked geniunly surprised.

• Love 2
I loved the Luke/Jessica fight scene. I would sacrifice most of the sex scenes for more fight scenes like that.

Me, too. Unless I'm really invested and hoping for two characters to please kiss already -- which is extremely rare -- I find all sex scenes tiresome. The clutched sheets, the woman keeping her bra/top on throughout, and especially the panting, falling back on the bed shot at the end just make me embarrassed on the actors' behalf.

I was seriously afraid Kilgrave was going to mind control Trish over the radio, if not everyone who was listening. Thankfully it seems he has to be in their presence.

Poor Malcolm and Jessica's casual use of him as a means to an end. She was regretful afterwards but that didn't stop her.

Poor EMT. His mother scared me as much as Kilgrave does.

Edited by lordonia
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8

Man that poor ambulance driver. Donating the dialysis machine was an act of cruelty not kindness. Kilgrave is just a dick.

I love the humor on this show.

"Seattle Grace" and "Dr.Carter"

I think the creepy twins must be an injoke on the incest of the Maximoff twins in the Ultimate version or a joke on people who like to ship them!

If Trish is training herself to not be a victim, then that's commendable.

• Love 1

Small moment: Jessica's disgust at pilfering the locker of someone who wears a scrub with pink hearts. Also resignedly accepting that the first locker/badge of an Asian woman wasn't going to fly.

I'm not that familiar with Ritter from other projects but for whatever reason, she doesn't look like a Jessica to me. I could more easily accept Jess or Jessie for the character.

• Love 1

Am I the only one who is basically afraid that just about everyone in her life is being controlled by Kilgrave?

I'm right there too. Trish's nosebleed, the weird twins, just because they are weird and the guy is starting to follow Jessica like a puppy, Kilgrave obviously knows what she does for a living and probably knows where she lives, so yeah, I don't think I'm too paranoid.

Loved that Trish was quite serious about protecting herself.

I like Malcom's hair. I hope he sticks around. Although his remark about whether that was happening or only in his mind made me paranoid too. Maybe he is keeping taps on Jessica through Malcolm.

That EMT, that was terrible. I like how this and Daredevil addresses the effects that superhero shenanigans have on normal people.

That pink shrub was even worse.

And here are David Tennant's ears from behind. Why did I recognize them? That was a chilling scene. Such an asshole.

Unbreakable mind too? The thing with the saw was.......smoking. Sorry, I'll let myself out.

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 5

The first one was good but the second was even better. Glad they stopped with the voice over since voice over/ hearing thoughts almost always bugs me.

Was pretty impressed with Ritter. Typically i can only spot really good or bad acting, and the scene in her office with trish was really good.

The scene with the kidneyless guy was crazy. Although in MCU shows movies it always interests me when you see really devout religious people. I mean aliens tried to invade earth, plus a god who is not yours actually exists but people still manage to keep their faith (yes i know Thor is an alien not an actual god but he is still the same guy the Norse worshipped).

Only thing that bugged me (and i hade the same complaint about Daredevil) was that at one point we got an NYC skyline shot, but with no Stark tower.

• Love 2
The scene with the kidneyless guy was crazy. Although in MCU shows movies it always interests me when you see really devout religious people. I mean aliens tried to invade earth, plus a god who is not yours actually exists but people still manage to keep their faith (yes i know Thor is an alien not an actual god but he is still the same guy the Norse worshipped).

There was an antagonist in the Thor comics in the 80s called The Crusader who was a devout Christian who supposedly saw a vision of an ancestor who fought in the Crusades who gave knight's armor. The Crusader challenged Thor because he believed him to be a pagan and a blasphemer for claiming he was a Norse god.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Arthur_Blackwood_%28Earth-616%29

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
Am I the only one who is basically afraid that just about everyone in her life is being controlled by Kilgrave?

You guys are going to make me paranoid, too, now. Hee! It’s like having a shapeshifter in the mix, it’s easy to start suspecting everyone of not being themselves.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

The first one was good but the second was even better. Glad they stopped with the voice over since voice over/ hearing thoughts almost always bugs me.

I think it works well in this case. Not only because the noir-ish genre, but also because Jessica plays it close to vest and she's really only sharing her thoughts and feelings with Trish and it would be bad to reduce that character to a "Jessica-talks-about-her-feelings" device. So it's both used sparingly and actually useful information we otherwise wouldn't get, it's not like Dexter or Blade Runner levels of voice over. Speaking of Dexter, JJ creator Melissa Rosenberg was a writer on that show, so I think she got a pretty good idea of where the VO worked and where it didn't.

Edited by Conan Troutman
  • Love 1

Jessica and Luke in a bar fight was great, and I'm starting to warm up to the paring more.  And, of course, we find out Luke is invulnerable (or unbreakable!), so now Jessica's got a new superpower buddy (and more!)

But it's the relationship with Trish though that is surprising me.  I'm really enjoying the relationship, the history, and how Trish is staying loyal to her, no matter how much Jessica pushes her away.  Trish though, seems to know that Jessica doesn't mean most of it, and isn't letting it stop her, although she's more then willing to confront her when the time calls for it.  I'm digging it.  And I'm really liking Rachael Taylor's performance, which is another surprise.

I had also wondered if we were going to get a Claire cameo at the hospital.  I guess you don't want to pull that trigger too soon.  I also was thinking that if Jessica couldn't convince Jeryn to defend Hope, she could always try to look up old Matt Murdock.  I'm sure the Avocados of Law would be down with trying to figure out this case (actually, Foggy would probably have a meltdown...)

It can't be said enough: Kilgrave is fucked-up.  He just seems like an irredeemable psycho, and I wouldn't want it any other way.  And it's just scary that he has this much power.  I didn't even think about how pretty much everyone in Jessica's life can be turned against her, and it makes him even more scary.  And the slow reveal continues to be best way to go, in my opinion.

• Love 5

I think it works well in this case. Not only because the noir-ish genre, but also because Jessica plays it close to vest and she's really only sharing her thoughts and feelings with Trish and it would be bad to reduce that character to a "Jessica-talks-about-her-feelings" device. So it's both used sparingly and actually useful information we otherwise wouldn't get, it's not like Dexter or Blade Runner levels of voice over. Speaking of Dexter, JJ creator Melissa Rosenberg was a writer on that show, so I think she got a pretty good idea of where the VO worked and where it didn't.

I just found the hard boild detective does voice over kind of clichéd at this point. I am surprised she didn't say something about dames. Ritter i think is strong enough to show what is going on in Jessica's head without spelling it out, which i thought the 1st episode did. I really liked the 2nd didn't have it and I thought Ritter showed it wasn't needed.

• Love 2

There was an antagonist in the Thor comics in the 80s called The Crusader who was a devout Christian who supposedly saw a vision of an ancestor who fought in the Crusades who gave knight's armor. The Crusader challenged Thor because he believed him to be a pagan and a blasphemer for claiming he was a Norse god.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Arthur_Blackwood_(Earth-616)

I would love it if somewhere in the mcu, on one of the Netflix shows maybe, they dealt with that. There have been all kinds of religious people showing up even Matt Murdoch. How have the really serious religious types, the ones who believe the earth is 6000 years old, evolution never happened, man was created in god's image (or other religions that are just as serious) ones dealt with the fact that the sky opened up and the Chitauri came out?

• Love 3

Two episodes in and I'm more interested in the supporting characters then I am the main one.  She seems so cliché.  Also he could have pretty much could've taken care of everybody in that bar fight without her help. Hell if not for his skin, he would've been dead.  I will give this show credit for confining it's love triangle to the supporting characters.

That scene with the villain was creepy right until they had that little girl apparently urinate a gallon of water out of the closet which pulled me out of the scene. I get that you're going for a creepy atmosphere, but that came off as silly to me.

Edited by Oscirus

Two episodes in and I'm more interested in the supporting characters then I am the main one.  She seems so cliché.  Also he could have pretty much could've taken care of everybody in that bar fight without her help. Hell if not for his skin, he would've been dead.  I will give this show credit for confining it's love triangle to the supporting characters.

He could. But she didn't know that. Just as she probably could have taken them all, but he didn't know that. The mutual reveal of their powers being the point of the scene.

• Love 6

Without even looking at the next episode, I have a feeling she already knows about his powers. Hence why she was investigating him. I have a feeling that it was more about clumsily revealing her powers to him.

I would love it if somewhere in the mcu, on one of the Netflix shows maybe, they dealt with that. There have been all kinds of religious people showing up even Matt Murdoch. How have the really serious religious types, the ones who believe the earth is 6000 years old, evolution never happened, man was created in god's image (or other religions that are just as serious) ones dealt with the fact that the sky opened up and the Chitauri came out?

Most religious folk actually believe that God created everything. It's the non-believers who hold tightly to the limits, and therefore are shocked when faith is adaptable.

I do enjoy Mike Colter as Luke Cage. Don't know anything about the comics, but I watched Ringer, in which he was rather uncharismatic and boring. Once again proves that actors really need good writing to make them shine.

Thank you! I had forgotten about that show!

I think if Claire had been at Metro-General that day, she probably would have figured Jessica out with one look.  And probably would have helped her happily, which would have prevented us from seeing Jessica have to improvise, throwing in references to both ER and Grey's Anatomy.

I was reminded of the Winchsters' non-existent FBI Agents on Supernatural!

I doubt the family Kilgrave is visiting is random, or at least, if not them, the location of their home.

• Love 3

I just found the hard boild detective does voice over kind of clichéd at this point. I am surprised she didn't say something about dames. Ritter i think is strong enough to show what is going on in Jessica's head without spelling it out, which i thought the 1st episode did. I really liked the 2nd didn't have it and I thought Ritter showed it wasn't needed.

Ha, I guess you've seen Sin City 2 then? That was a really terrible use of VO, especially the ungodly amount of it. 

I was really talking about the season as a whole, where you definitely get a lot less VO than in the pilot. I still think it was good in execution there, but I can see why you'd want less of it.

I don't mind the voiceover. It just sets the stage for this story as a film noir genre type thing. It's part of the atmosphere. Not entirely essential to our understanding of the plot and character. But fun to have all the same. (Though maybe it's more fun for people like me, who find film noir stuff amusing. Sometimes I'm just easily amused.)

• Love 3

Most religious folk actually believe that God created everything. It's the non-believers who hold tightly to the limits, and therefore are shocked when faith is adaptable.

I'd like to introduce you to my entire family along with all of their friends. I'm not a believer of any kind myself and most of my friends who are would definitely fall in line with what you call adaptability. But my relatives? Well let's just say there's a reason for that particular rigidity of faith stereotype and I'm pretty sure I'm related to all of them.

But that dichotomy in and of itself is fascinating to me in the context of the mcu and I enjoy the little bits the franchise has dropped in that speak to how various people of faith are taking things. It's so real world.

Edited by millahnna

Kilgrave is giving me the creeps. He's a complete monster in  a  very frightening way.

No wonder that guy asked Jessica  to kill  him. I  would have, too. 

I'm enjoying these episodes a lot, this show is great. I  ike the characters -Jessica, Luke, Trish...- and  I want them to crush that bastard  forever.  Although if I were her,  I'd be sending a note to  Charles Xavier asking for some help/advice.    

• Love 1

I'm enjoying these episodes a lot, this show is great. I  ike the characters -Jessica, Luke, Trish...- and  I want them to crush that bastard  forever.  Although if I were her,  I'd be sending a note to  Charles Xavier asking for some help/advice.    

It's funny because, in the comic book, it was Jean Grey that helped Jessica through her mental trauma.

I just finished this episode last night and I don't know if I can continue on with the show. It's very well-written and well-acted, but it is actually darker and more difficult to watch than I expected. That scene at the end with the kids in the closet was too brutal for me. Everyone is just so helpless against Kilgrave, and he is so very cruel. He could have ordered those kids to stay in their room. He could have let the girl go to the bathroom and then gone in the closet. He could have left the freaking light on! It was all gratuitous.

It's weird because there's really not a lot of gore and conventional violence (at least not yet), but I don't know if I can handle watching such whimsical cruelty. Especially because I'm only on ep 2, so it can only get worse for a long time before it gets better.

• Love 4

I just finished this episode last night and I don't know if I can continue on with the show. It's very well-written and well-acted, but it is actually darker and more difficult to watch than I expected.

Ditto.  I binge-watched three episodes in a row and then realized that the show was making me depressed.  I generally love super-hero movies and I am a huge Buffy/Veronica Mars fan so this show ought to be right in my wheel-house.  But the thing that I think I'm missing is a sense of humor.  The darkness in this show is just unrelenting.

• Love 4

I just finished this episode last night and I don't know if I can continue on with the show. It's very well-written and well-acted, but it is actually darker and more difficult to watch than I expected. That scene at the end with the kids in the closet was too brutal for me. Everyone is just so helpless against Kilgrave, and he is so very cruel. He could have ordered those kids to stay in their room. He could have let the girl go to the bathroom and then gone in the closet. He could have left the freaking light on! It was all gratuitous.

It's weird because there's really not a lot of gore and conventional violence (at least not yet), but I don't know if I can handle watching such whimsical cruelty. Especially because I'm only on ep 2, so it can only get worse for a long time before it gets better.

It is a dark show and can be a challenge to watch. Certainly I would be cautious to recommend the show to people who suffered intimate partner violence or stalker. That is because the writers and cast do a terrific job in showing the impact such kind of violence can have. You don't need to beat someone into a bloody mess to destroy their sense of self and their lives, and you don't need to show a bloody mess to portray violence and cruelty. I often think even the opposite is true, much of blood and violence I see on screen makes me more laugh or role my eyes because it's so emotionally sterile and story telling wise ineffective, it's not even sensational any more most of the times. But I don't find shows like GoT for example that impressive anyway and often enough more boring, while I dig this show.

The scene with the kids in the closet, showing just that puddle spilling from behind the door, was very effective, because it didn't go into (obvious) violence but was so seemingly harmless, simple, preposterous and incidental, still drawing the right amount of attention to it with the context given. We felt the kid absolutely needlessly suffering without even seeing the kid in that moment.

I chuckle a whole lot when I'm watching this show. Is something wrong with me?

Maybe The Walking Dead gave me a high tolerance for depressing TV.

With all its darkness and gruesome look at some things, the show does have some humor, though might call it dark humor. Sometimes something can be horrific, ridiculous and humorous at the same time. I don't even find the show that depressing, after all they're trying to fight back, and we'll see if they succeed. It can be challenging to watch, because it doesn't shy away from showing some of the lasting impact of violence.

Just some humor coming to my mind from this episode: Some of the lines Jery says when Jessica tries to talk her into taking Hope's case, funny but in the context not so funny. When Jessica tells the Twins to shut up (comedy gold, while at the same time telling a lot about Jessica), at the hospital ("Where are you from?" "Seattle Grace" "Like on TV?"), Jessica telling Trish she would be like her mother (indeed a low blow, but the delivery of the lines made me chuckle), even that mother of the EMT guy, so overdone it had something ridiculous while being sad.

And David Tennant so knows how to play something as absurd, comical and creepy at the same time.

• Love 3

I'm in the camp of wanting to watch more but being wary of it being too dark/violent for me. So long as the violence isn't gruesome, I'm still here. I haven't liked Ritter in other roles but she is quite good here. I remember Mike Colter from Ringer (before I stopped watching) and I loved David Tennant on Broadchurch.

Really liked how Hope is still completely fucked up.

• Love 2

I was thinking leukemia, with mysterious bruises and mysterious bleeding. I'm so glad it wasn't that (because I have a close friend probably dying of cancer right now - maybe that's why my mind went there). So glad she's just martial arts training. But how did she bleed from her nose without getting a visible bruise on her nose that would show on her talk show?

Also, how is Krav Maga going to help against mind control? Maybe she'd be better off spending that time studying hypnosis.

In reading these first two episode threads, I'm confused by all the references to stuff that I assume is form another Marvel show. Can anyone make a brief list of what people are talking about? I'm having trouble telling who is from this show and I just didn't catch their name vs who is from some completely different show. E.g. I saw the names Claire and Malcom a lot in this thread - are either of them from this show?

• Hugs 1

In reading these first two episode threads, I'm confused by all the references to stuff that I assume is form another Marvel show. Can anyone make a brief list of what people are talking about? I'm having trouble telling who is from this show and I just didn't catch their name vs who is from some completely different show. E.g. I saw the names Claire and Malcom a lot in this thread - are either of them from this show?

Malcolm is the drug addict neighbor that lives down the hall from Jessica.

Claire and Matt Murdock are characters from another Marvel show, Daredevil, that occurs in the same universe as Jessica Jones

A lot of the comics talk confused me too, and is sometimes also kind of spoilery, so I've just tried to skip over it, but it's hard!

Edited by wevel
  • Love 3

Malcolm is the drug addict neighbor that lives down the hall from Jessica.

Claire and Matt Murdock are characters from another Marvel show, Daredevil, that occurs in the same universe as Jessica Jones.

A lot of the comics talk confused me too, and is sometimes also kind of spoilery, so I've just tried to skip over it, but it's hard!

Thanks for the info!

Also, is Hogarth someone I should know? I saw that name thrown around as well. I guess I should just skim parts I don't recognize since there seems to be a lot of outside info floating around.

Edited by LeGrandElephant
  • Love 1

Also, is Hogarth someone I should know?

Oh yes!  Jeri Hogarth is the shark lawyer that Jessica does work for sometimes (often of the might-need-some-legally-questionable-strong-arming kind) whose fancy office we see Jessica visiting in the pilot.  She's played by Carrie-Ann Moss (of The Matrix fame). 

• Love 1

I was thinking leukemia, with mysterious bruises and mysterious bleeding. I'm so glad it wasn't that (because I have a close friend probably dying of cancer right now - maybe that's why my mind went there). So glad she's just martial arts training. But how did she bleed from her nose without getting a visible bruise on her nose that would show on her talk show?

Also, how is Krav Maga going to help against mind control? Maybe she'd be better off spending that time studying hypnosis.

Trish's talk show is a radio show, so no worries about about bruises showing. As far as learning self defense i think it has more to do with wanting to generally protect herself than mind control protection (and i can't remember how much they showed of her life in episode 2,

in later epidodes you learn about her mom which explains a lot

).

Trish's talk show is a radio show, so no worries about about bruises showing. As far as learning self defense i think it has more to do with wanting to generally protect herself than mind control protection (and i can't remember how much they showed of her life in episode 2,

in later epidodes you learn about her mom which explains a lot

).

Ah, I hadn't realized it was radio and not TV. There was a scene where she put on a jacket to cover bruises on her arms at work, but I guess she was just covering them from other people at work and not from a tv camera.

I guess her learning Krav Maga means that when she inevitably gets mind controlled to fight Jessica, the fight won't be so entirely one-sided.

But I think it would ALSO be a good idea for anyone who knows mind control is an issue to start researching ways to fight it. Occlumency anyone? Maybe they have no realistic way to fight it but they ought to be researching various traditions to see if anything could help. Maybe practicing mindful control of your mind could help, or taking certain drugs, etc. But, pretty hard to test any of those ideas before it's too late.

I also didn't really understand the idea that surgical anesthesia was some great useful weakness. If she can't just kill him she's also going to have a hard time putting him under anesthesia against his will. If she can get him to breathe an anesthetic gas surely she could just use poison gas instead? Or does she have some moral qualms about killing him? Maybe she wants him alive for proof. But that seems extremely dangerous.

Oh yes! Jeri Hogarth is the shark lawyer that Jessica does work for sometimes (often of the might-need-some-legally-questionable-strong-arming kind) whose fancy office we see Jessica visiting in the pilot. She's played by Carrie-Ann Moss (of The Matrix fame).

Thanks! I hadn't caught her name. Often when I'm watching a new show I don't catch the names for the first few episodes and usually reading the discussions here helps me figure out who's who, but al the references to people who aren't on this show made it harder to keep track of. She certainly seemed intrigued at the idea that Jessica had also been victimized by Killgrave, that's going to have to be important.

So Jessica is the Kalinda (referencing The Good Wife) for Jeri Hogarth's law firm?

Edited by LeGrandElephant
  • Love 2