Type keyword(s) to search

Rizzoli and Isles in the Media

"Edgier," huh? That doesn't bode well for Major Crimes unless having gay characters is still considered "edgy.

Major Crimes was already renewed prior to R&I.  Is R&I edgier by being a gay "tease" show between the leads?

• Showrunner Jan Nash was interviewed recently by Lori, ausxip.com editor.   Everything's lovely in R&I land, she insists.  Sounds like more sitcom on the way.

"So our hope will be that when people get to the end of season 5 that they will feel on some level that the journey through all of these things has been completed and that we are ready to start into season 6 in a new way with this family of characters together, on each other’s side and with big smiles on their faces."

http://ausxip.com/rizzoliandisles/ri_interviews/Jan_Nash_March2015.html

"TNT's blockbuster hit Rizzoli & Isles drew a combined audience of 7.6 million viewers in Live + 7 delivery for its March 3 episode and encore, a +6% increase over the prior week. The show also drew 2.7 million adults 25-54 (+5% vs. the prior week). With all replays and multiplatform viewing included, Rizzoli & Isles is reaching an average of 10.3 million viewers per episode this season."

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/03/24/weekly-ratings-notes-for-adult-swim-cartoon-network-tbs-tnt-nba-tv-rizzoli-isles-american-dad-teen-titans-go-more/379223/

"...Notably, the network has only ordered 13 episodes for the show’s seventh season, down significantly from the order for its current season. Sources at the network have stated that the limited order is due to the early renewal and the fact that several cast members are not under contract for season seven. I’m also told the order could be increased further down the line (as the orders for Major Crimes have been for the past three seasons) and there is no truth to rumours that this will be the final season...."

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2015/07/tnt-renews-rizzoli-isles-for-seventh-season/

TV Guide's Returning Winter Shows: Where We Left Off

​Rizzoli & Isles (TNT)
Premieres: Tuesday, Feb. 16 at 9/8c

Where We Left Off: After the team realized that Leanne Sampson, the dead drug addict who was killed, was hired by someone to set Jane's apartment on fire, everyone went all out to protect Jane, especially after they cracked a code on a watch that was the penal code for kidnapping. But the person wasn't after Jane: Maura got kidnapped in the end.

What's Next: Obviously Maura will make it out alive. "We'll come back and see how we save [her]," executive producer Jan Nash says. But the rest of the investigation and finally catching the culprit targeting Jane, and why exactly he/she is seeking revenge on her, will last a bit longer. "There's a mysterious element to it. It takes a while to figure out what's going on. When they do figure out what's going on, it'll take a while to catch the perpetrator," Nash says. "We want to give her a meaningful nemesis in addition to these [standalone episodes]." Adam Sinclair's Kent Drake will still be around the rest of the season and Angie Harmon's daughter Avery will make her acting debut in an episode.

http://www.tvguide.com/special/winter-preview/gallery/2016-winter-tv-returning-shows/photo/53eec868-ea79-400b-882f-6f6554e6add4/

The bolded material is newish.  If Kent  is around all season, I assume that means he isn't Maura's abductor.  

I'm kind of bummed and kind of not.  This show was never Shakespeare, but I wasn't looking for it to be.  I wanted a realistic friendship between two fully-developed women, and I got that, so that the mysteries weren't always up to par and the acting was nothing more than fine was okay.  It has provided that, but it's become a bit lazy.  So it's not some great loss to television for it to go away, but the sad fact is there's not a lot out there to fill that specific void, despite the low bar. 

They don't have more than half these final episodes in the can, right?  Meaning they have plenty of time, knowing they're canceled, to go out on a high note?  That's now what I'll hope for -- no contrived "happy" endings that pair everyone off and wrap everything up; just a natural progression that leaves us with a nice idea of how these characters carry on in perpetuity even though we'll no longer be popping in on them.

• Love 4

The remaining five episodes of season 6 are finished (since November) and will show starting February 16.  Production on season 7's thirteen episodes will start about the same time for summer viewing.

I've shipped Rizzles from the beginning and am disappointed, though not surprised, that TNT didn't go ahead with the romantic chemistry between Jane and Maura.  I hope showrunner Jan Nash doesn't marry them off to lame guys who wandered in to the last episodes..  It's time Maura and Jane got hitched.

Angie and Sasha have done a great job with what they were given.  Unfortunately, as the years went by, the writing grew sloppy and too many scenes were family sitcom material.

I suppose there is a chance another network would pick R&I up (USA wanted it 2 years  ago).  But I've got DVDs and fanfiction and tumblrs.  Rizzoli & Isles will live on!  

https://twitter.com/dorothysnarker/status/685223325056933888

Edited by Scamp

Per my tv section, TNT will show 2 new episodes of R&I this Tuesday (16th). But they aren't showing any of the prior episodes from right before the break. I don't get it ... I'd really like to see the Maura gets kidnapped episode before the (I assume) Maura gets saved.

Showrunner Jan Nash revealed her definition of "Rizzoli & Isles" to TV Insider recently, talking about season 6B.'

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/73130/rizzoli-isles-season-6-midseason-rescuing-maura/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=TVGM

"Obviously, this is a light, comic procedural, so we do try to live with as many dramatic moments as we can, and we do try and honor the drama of the situations. We will be allowing Maura to have the experience of having been affected by this kidnapping, to wrestle with what those feelings—that lack of personal safety— will mean for her life. That issue, from both the perspective of Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles, is something we deal with very directly in the subsequent episodes. At a certain point, you want to continue to acknowledge it, but you don't want to lay on it too hard, because then the show becomes a different thing."

No wonder there is more and more of Angela Rizzoli and less and less of "big brain" Maura Isles.  She's hinted at a big, fun 100th episode.  I'm just hoping that the show doesn't end with a comic, heterosexual double/triple/? wedding.  

(edited)

Just noticed (in my tv section) that Rizzoli and Isles season 7 starts up tomorrow night (Monday) @ 9:00, for two new episodes.  No season 6 recap scheduled, but it's starting Monday vice Tuesday. 

Now I have to read how last season ended. Recaps, here I come.

Edited by craziness
7 hours ago, Ina123 said:

Anybody know why there are "two" new episodes tonight? I guess the survivors will be looking for Alice.

They are trying to burn off these last season episodes at a faster rate. Also, Major Crimes starts next week to be a companion show with this one.

• Love 1

From that TVGuide article:

In terms of old flames, don't expect any of Jane's to pop up. Nash says the show did reach out to Amaury Nolasco to return one last time as Martinez, but schedules conflicted.

Thank you, universe!  It sounds like I am going to be thoroughly annoyed by the ending, but at least it won't be with Martinez.

I'm looking forward to Sharon Gless appearing.  Yvette Nicole Brown and JoBeth Williams, too, but - Sharon Gless!

I'm not pleased this Alice Sands storyline - which I didn't find anywhere near as compelling as they wanted me to - is going to continue throughout the season.  That Maura's injury won't just be dropped is promising, though.

Procedurals Returning To TNT

After flipping the switch overnight from lighter procedurals like Rizzoli & Isles to dark serialized dramas like Animal Kingdom and Good Behavior under Kevin Reilly,TNT will gradually bring back procedurals and lighter fare, Reilly said at TCA on Sunday.  The plan is to reintroduce a procedural drama on the network in late 2017 or early 2018. “There is still an audience that likes a good closed-ended story,” Reilly said. TNT’s signature procedurals, departing Rizzoli & Isles and Major Crimes, continue to be the network’s most watched series....

http://deadline.com/2016/07/procedurals-returning-tnt-detour-headed-new-york-season-2-samantha-bee-tca-1201796245/#comment-list-wrapper

Too late, Kevin.  Let R&I come back with Jane & Maura as romantic partners.  Oh, is that too "dark" for you?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Scamp said:

Procedurals Returning To TNT

After flipping the switch overnight from lighter procedurals like Rizzoli & Isles to dark serialized dramas like Animal Kingdom and Good Behavior under Kevin Reilly,TNT will gradually bring back procedurals and lighter fare, Reilly said at TCA on Sunday.  The plan is to reintroduce a procedural drama on the network in late 2017 or early 2018. “There is still an audience that likes a good closed-ended story,” Reilly said. TNT’s signature procedurals, departing Rizzoli & Isles and Major Crimes, continue to be the network’s most watched series....

http://deadline.com/2016/07/procedurals-returning-tnt-detour-headed-new-york-season-2-samantha-bee-tca-1201796245/#comment-list-wrapper

Too late, Kevin.  Let R&I come back with Jane & Maura as romantic partners.  Oh, is that too "dark" for you?

You mean they finally realized the shows that last longer are TNT the "lighter" shows?

• Love 2

Thank God for small favors. I was just thinking why does TNT feel the need to be AMC 2? I mean really, I have watched this season of Animal Kingdom but I highly doubt that I will watch the next season. 

From that article:

Spoiler

How is Jane handling the job offer she recently received?
Jane is struggling with the decision because it means such a huge life change for her. It’s a very big move — she leaves her hometown that she’s never left, her family, her best friend, her work, and it’s to take an FBI job that’s more of a desk job. It’s turning away from one of the biggest parts of who she is and accepting a different way of life. That’s her big conflict.

So why is she doing it?  They are going to have to come up with something they haven't yet shown to make this believable to me.

In much less aggravating news, I love that Sasha took as a souvenir the photo from Maura's office of women in the 1800s performing an autopsy.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Sasha did an interview with TVLine about directing the last ep and the final eps. Thankfully the writer actually watched the episode so there is a nice discussion. I didn't realize that the party scene was all one shot. I find those little directing tidbits interesting. The fireplace was different! I knew that scene with Jane and Maura talking about Edmund was different somehow, but I didn't realize that it was because we'd never actually seen a fire in the fireplace before. With the change in focus and lighting, it was like a different room.

He had to be somebody you believed was in her past, but we also had to understand why it didn’t work out at the time.

She sold this to me and I'm guessing that is because she actually recognized the need to sell it. I'm all for 'show, don't tell' in shows but they have to actually show it.

I enjoyed her memories of her cast mates. Those are more BTS tidbits I find very interesting. Her choice of the old autopsy photo is awesome! I wish I knew what the French tea set she told the Post that she took looks like. Also: I will always love and appreciate her affection for Maura. She seems to still really enjoy her. Me too, Sasha!

Since Season 2, I did want to direct this show — it was contractually there to say, “Hey, I want to do this” — and every season they found a reason not to let me do it!

I've thought it was a bit odd that Angie was given the 100th ep to direct since it was first announced. I feel that way even more now. I wonder if both Sasha and Angie were asking to direct for years? It's odd that Sasha couldn't or (more likely) chose not to make that happen earlier if she really wanted to direct and that when it did happen, the eps were close together, and in Angie's case, a huge ep for the series. It's like someone at TNT said 'fuck it, we're done with the show anyway, let them do what they want'. 

7 hours ago, l star said:

I've thought it was a bit odd that Angie was given the 100th ep to direct since it was first announced. I feel that way even more now. I wonder if both Sasha and Angie were asking to direct for years? It's odd that Sasha couldn't or (more likely) chose not to make that happen earlier if she really wanted to direct and that when it did happen, the eps were close together, and in Angie's case, a huge ep for the series. It's like someone at TNT said 'fuck it, we're done with the show anyway, let them do what they want'. 

I've read that both women wanted to direct and contractually could have as early as season 2, but their schedules were too full.  It's pretty obvious that showrunner2.0 Jan Nash is smitten with Angie; we assume that's why Angie got #100.  

I found the fireplace scene strange: summer day, yet a fire is roaring and blankets cover their laps?  Could it be a way to avoid the traditional close on a couch?  There was no synchronized phone answering either.  Jan Nash is disappearing R&I before my eyes.  

Spoiler

I have to agree about the Jan Nash bias. One thing that did stand out about the last ep was that there was only about a fourth as many shots centered on only Jane. It did not hurt the show AT ALL, IMO.

• Love 2

I get the feeling with Sasha that she loved the Maura character and would've liked to go down the Gayzzoli road with the Jane character and when that didn't happen she focused on her own character's arc. I really think she likes everyone else on the show better than she likes Angie. You can see this via how little they interact on social media.

Jan Nash confounds me on so many levels and I don't see following her to any future show she does post Rizzoli and Isles.

Spoiler

Ausxip.com, a wonderful fan site without which R&I fans would be lost, just tweeted two photos from the finale (to be seen September 5).  It appears that Angie Harmon is visiting Maura Isles.  All hope of Jane & Maura being the romantic couple they should be is now gone.  What a waste.  What a kick in the teeth for shippers.

Spoiler

Edited by Scamp

I'd be okay with that. Nina's from Chicago, right?  Tommy doesn't move back to Boston, Nina and Frankie decide to move there and Angela decides to follow them out.  (Kent can stay and learn to make dioramas.) 

• Love 1

Rizzoli & Isles Mega Buzz: The Finale Might Not Be a Real Goodbye

http://www.tvguide.com/news/rizzoli-isles-series-finale-scoop-jane-maura-spoilers/

If this TV Guide brief was by anyone other than Joyce Eng, I'd dismiss it as clickbait.  But she's interviewed showrunner Jan Nash several times and seems a reputable writer.  R&I fans (shippers and non) are upset with the upcoming announced separation of the titular characters.  Though this photo has raised all sorts of questions (including why is Jane wearing Angie's clothes?).  Is Maura holding a plane ticket or two to Paris?  

tumblr_ocuidc0fkE1qa9bx1o1_500.jpg