Type keyword(s) to search

The Best Worst Movies Ever: What Do You Hate Watch?

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Dandesun said:

The Warriors came on the other night and I was compelled to watch it.

I straight up love The Warriors in all of its grungy, seedy glory. It is clearly a product of pre-gentrified  New York, but that's why it's so terrific. Can you dig it, indeed.

• Love 8

"Battlefield Earth"

I just had to watch it purely because of its notoriety as being possibly one of the worst mainstream films ever. And oh my, they weren't wrong!

A couple of questions for the cast and the crew (especially John Travolta and director Roger Christian) - "What were you all thinking?" And more importantly, "What were you all on!?"

The first 20 minutes was bad enough, and my finger hovering over the "stop" button on my remote, was trying to tell my brain to end it all; but somehow I managed to stay the course to the bitter, bitter end (a bottle of white wine probably helped along the way). 

The only good thing to say about this film is that if you have irritating guests round to your home that have stayed past their welcome, just put this on and they will flee for the hills!

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 3:01 AM, Zola said:

"Battlefield Earth"

I'm truly impressed you made it through.  I remember dying of both embarrassment and laughter during the trailer.

It's been a while, but I used to occasionally watch 15-20 minute sections of Ishtar.  That's all I could ever tolerate; take all the bad things you've ever heard about this movie and multiple by a thousand.  I guess I just needed a reminder, every five years or so, that Beatty and Hoffman could actually be that bad.

Edited by amaranta
10 hours ago, amaranta said:

I'm truly impressed you made it through.  I remember dying of both embarrassment and laughter during the trailer.

It's been a while, but I used to occasionally watch 15-20 minute sections of Ishtar.  That's all I could ever take; take all the bad things you've ever heard about this movie and multiple by a thousand.  I guess I just needed a reminder, every five years or so, that Beatty and Hoffman could actually be that bad.

I haven't seen Ishtar, but funny you should mention that because a friend of mine suggested having a bet with me - "I will give you £50 ($50), if you can watch 'Ishtar', 'Batman & Robin', 'Showgirls', 'Glitter' and 'Gigli' back to back in one 24 hour day. And I will be in control of the remote control, so no cheating with the FF button!"

That was about 3 or 4 months ago: I never took the bet because I have already seen the latter two, and oh my, it was painful to endure. And the idea of watching five of the worst mainstream films ever just didn't appeal at all.

8 hours ago, Zola said:

I haven't seen Ishtar, but funny you should mention that because a friend of mine suggested having a bet with me - "I will give you £50 ($50), if you can watch 'Ishtar', 'Batman & Robin', 'Showgirls', 'Glitter' and 'Gigli' back to back in one 24 hour day. And I will be in control of the remote control, so no cheating with the FF button!"

That's just too much pain for $50 - they're worth at least $25 apiece.  Though I have to admit I watch Showgirls for fun when I run across it, and I actually enjoyed Ishtar.  It's not art, but I thought it was stupid fun.  Yeah, I know: the only taste I have is in my mouth.

Hi, barton!

Edited by harrie

I don't know if this is considered a bad movie, but Life as We Know It. Katherine Heigl and Josh Duhamel are the best friends of a couple who dies and leave them to raise their one year old daughter and live in their house. Of course hilarity ensues with the two of them (their charachters hate each other) living together and trying to raise a kid. The ending is predictable and it is a bit cheesy, but I can't help but watch it every time it's on.

• Love 3
On 12/27/2017 at 11:44 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I straight up love The Warriors in all of its grungy, seedy glory. It is clearly a product of pre-gentrified  New York, but that's why it's so terrific. Can you dig it, indeed.

"Can you count, suckers?!?!?"

On 12/27/2017 at 9:44 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

It's like a museum piece these days. The Warriors and Escape from New York were movies you could totally buy as a possibility regarding what NYC was in the 70's. Now, it's like 'wait... what?' Kids today! They have no idea what 70's New York was like. Hell, I was in the 2nd grade in 1979 when we lived in Connecticut and my Dad worked in Manhattan so I can say that I don't know what it was like. But I do remember when my Mom took my brother and I into Manhattan that year. Seedy is right but it was exactly like the New York I saw on television so that was fine. And then I remember going back on a school trip in 1986. New York wasn't quite the 'Coolest Year in Hell' that it was in the late 70s but it also hadn't turned into what it is now. 

It's not a cinema masterpiece but, man, there's just something infinitely compelling about it. It's absolutely a product of its time.

Edited by Dandesun
(edited)

"Sex and the City" and "Sex and the City 2"

I quite liked the DVDs of the TV series during my time at university a few years back. Although in truth it was more background noise to my studies rather than being a focus-of-attention for a couple of hours a night. 

A few years later I watched the film release of "SATC" with a couple of friends. Not half as good as the TV series of course, and to be honest I don't even know why they bothered with a full length film when a TV reunion special might have been a better idea. 

But then I read all the severe panning for the sequel; and it really was a carpet-bombing of hate  & revulsion from all the lead media critics. I thought to myself, surely SATC2 can't be all that bad?

So, just like trying to resist not picking at a scab, I relented and watched SATC2,

Damn!

It really is truly awful! Drunk or sober, it doesn't matter because SATC2 really does live up to the critics' collective conclusion of being a complete and utter waster of time, effort and oxygen.

And yet.......

For whatever reason, (car-crash television, seems an ideal example), I feel compelled to watch it again from time to time. It really is so terrible, with some really annoying characters and storylines that you just can't help yourself but shout at the TV screen! It's like watching all those dim-heads on reality-progs; they're so loathsome, vile and tedious that you just want to reach out and strangle them. But not to the point of killing them because you want to sit back and see what else they can do to push your buttons so you can scream at  them again!

Even writing this post I can feel my heckles rise thinking about SATC2. And knowing me I will probably watch it shortly, just so that I can vent and throw a few more "WTFs" into the atmosphere.

Edited by Zola
  • Love 1
(edited)

Those last two Twilight films are so batshit insane that I always have to watch them. Your miracle vampire baby is parasitic, breaking your bones, and ultimately killing you. I mean a vampire c-section with their teeth? The fuck is that even? Stephanie Meyer is a strange lady.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 4
On 12/22/2017 at 3:50 PM, Chaos Theory said:

Is that the one where Cameron Diaz finds out the guy she is dating has a wife and then when she tells the wife THEY find out he has another girlfriend.  There is also a really fun gag at the end with Diaz’s office.  Funny ass but dumb ass movie.  

I love that movie, too. 

Grease 2 with it’s cool songs. I just watched it last night, and I think ( I hope) the filmmakers meant for the film to be somewhat farcical and weren’t taken themselves too seriously. 

Jurassic Park 2 : lost world. Yes, it was dumb, but I loved it and still watch it. Jeff Goldblum and Julianne Moore were great. I actually like this movie more than Jurassic World—I at least felt connected to the characters in Lost World. Jurassic World made feel nothing for anyone.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, topanga said:

I love that movie, too. 

Grease 2 with it’s cool songs. I just watched it last night, and I think ( I hope) the filmmakers meant for the film to be somewhat farcical and weren’t taken themselves too seriously. 

I don't care what anyone says but "Whose That Guy?"  is an awesome song and an awesome moment.   And "We'll Be Together" and "Cool Rider"  worked as well.     Grease 2 doesn't have the same feel as the original but it was by no means god awful.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 7

Gods of Egypt.  It's terrible for many, many reasons (the mostly white casting is honestly just the start of it), but Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is half naked for most of it, Rufus Sewell chews scenery magnificently, and Elodie Yung is kind of kickass.  Plus, Chadwick Boseman's character, whose servants are all clones of him, has a line asking if the others think he's vain that's actually funny.  So basically I tend to catch at least part of it every time it's on, at least now that it's on basic cable rather than the pay channels.

The stars of Teen Witch remember the "Top That" scene, which was added on because executives really wanted to have some funky rap in the movie:

They basically both admit that it was humiliating but they decided to commit to it because they knew they had no choice. They also had no clue that Teen Witch, and in particular that scene, would have the afterlife that it did.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

The stars of Teen Witch remember the "Top That" scene, which was added on because executives really wanted to have some funky rap in the movie:

They basically both admit that it was humiliating but they decided to commit to it because they knew they had no choice. They also had no clue that Teen Witch, and in particular that scene, would have the afterlife that it did.

I was talking to a friend about Teen Witch the other day.  It’s so lame but I will always watch it if I see it on tv.  “Top That” is just cringeworthy and unintentionally hilarious.

I think a movie is good or bad if it means to be what it means to be.  I always thought Flash Gordon always intended to be cheesy fun.  No one went in thinking they were doing Shakespeare.   Then there was Battlefield Earth where it looks like several of the actors thought they were doing a serious movie.    Therefore I think Flash Gordon succeeded where Battlefield Earth failed.    

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

The Twilight Series. It's SO STUPID but I can't help it. I actually paid money to see them all in the theater. For one of them, I was there with a really good audience who also seemed to love-hate it and we were all laughing and yelling at the cheesy stupid crap.

• Love 7
On 12/22/2017 at 3:07 PM, navelgazer said:

The Other Woman with Cameron Diaz, Kate Upton, and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.  It's stupid upon over-the-top stupid and yet I just can't help myself. 

I actually absolutely love it.  I embrace it.  It's legitimately one of my favourites of the decade.

Sex and the City is legitimately a favourite of mine and one of my absolute favourites of the 2000s.  I recognize that SATC2 is bad, and I find it kind of offensive in several different ways, but I will watch it.

I also enjoyed Twilight without any irony at all.

I was always under the impression that Mommie Dearest was considered a classic because people seem to reference it so often.  I'm a little bit younger than it.  Whoops.  It's always been on my list to watch.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
On 4/23/2018 at 9:18 PM, topanga said:

Jurassic Park 2 : lost world. Yes, it was dumb, but I loved it and still watch it. Jeff Goldblum and Julianne Moore were great. I actually like this movie more than Jurassic World—I at least felt connected to the characters in Lost World. Jurassic World made feel nothing for anyone.

I like this one.  Somebody recommended it on Twitter and I ended up enjoying the hell out of it. 

I tried to watch Jurassic Park 3 though, and THAT one seemed terrible to me.  I could not get through it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
On 8/16/2018 at 9:47 AM, ChromaKelly said:

The Twilight Series. It's SO STUPID but I can't help it. I actually paid money to see them all in the theater. For one of them, I was there with a really good audience who also seemed to love-hate it and we were all laughing and yelling at the cheesy stupid crap.

I saw most of the movies on DVD at a friend's house, save for 'Eclipse', which we all did go see in the theater. I was curious about the movies simply because a favorite band of mine had songs in a few of the films :p. 

But yeah, I found them more enjoyable than the books themselves (or at least, what I read of the books-I managed to get through the first one, but never finished the second). Like you said, they were cheesy as hell, but I kind of appreciated that they just rolled with that. 

• Love 1

Last weekend I watched Salt with Angelina Jolie. I don't watch a lot of serious spy movies but absolutely nothing about that spy plot made sense. Other then wanting to protect your spouse no other motive made sense. But the stunts still made me gasp at times.  It had that.

• Love 3
On 8/22/2018 at 1:25 PM, raezen said:

Last weekend I watched Salt with Angelina Jolie. I don't watch a lot of serious spy movies but absolutely nothing about that spy plot made sense. Other then wanting to protect your spouse no other motive made sense. But the stunts still made me gasp at times.  It had that.

This is one of my favorites. I enjoyed seeing the woman be the action hero, not the sidekick.  And Liev Schreiber!!! He's not sexy 'Ray Donovan' Schreiber in this movie, but still. 

• Love 5
On 8/18/2018 at 1:17 AM, HoboClayton said:

Riding the Bus with My Sister.. No words

I still kind of love that Andie MacDowell basically hits it and quits it with the hunky bus driver. Nope, no enduring love story with the kind-hearted salt-of-the-Earth blue collar guy, no siree!

Did they have like ANY kind of consultation with cognitively disabled advocates for this movie? Like seriously.

On ‎08‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:27 AM, supposebly said:

Blade Trinity. Don't judge. It's the shirtless Ryan Reynolds scenes. I don't have a better excuse. Well, Parker Posey is rather hilarious in it too.

I would never judge you for that.  My contribution to this list is Gods of Egypt for all the half-naked Nicolaj Coster-Waldau, and for how funny Rufus Sewell's character is.  And hot.

• Love 1
On 8/16/2018 at 7:47 AM, ChromaKelly said:

Yep, it's hot garbage but the last movie may have one of my favourite end credits ever. At the very least, it's the best end credits this decade (the end credits for Call Me By Your Name a close second). 

On 12/27/2017 at 6:03 PM, Dandesun said:

It's a classic!!

I saw Roadhouse at a late night showing last year with a rather rowdy audience, and it was an amazing experience. So many amazing cheesy lines and performances! Patrick Swazey as a tai chi practicing super bouncer! A bad guy with a giant monster truck and questionable motivations! His second in command who full on cackles evilly on his motorcycle! The feeling that you might need to get an STD test just for watching it! It is a true classic.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

The feeling that you might need to get an STD test just for watching it! It is a true classic.

This made me laugh :D. 

I've lost count of how many times I've seen that movie thanks to my parents watching it and making funny comments the whole way through (I remember my dad laughing at the scene where the place is on fire and the fire truck arrives...and appears to drive right past the fire). My mom will still catch it sometimes when it's on TV-though she's there for Sam Elliott ;). My parents always said that Wade reminded them of a guy they used to know back in the day, especially when he says, "Damn, that hurts, don't it?" after knocking out a guy during a fight :p.

• Love 2
On 4/23/2018 at 6:18 PM, topanga said:

I saw that movie so many times when I was a kid that when I saw it again recently I still remembered all the words to most of the songs and the choreography to Cool Rider  :)

I really enjoy Now You See Me and Now You See Me 2.   Probably because I like the magic angle.  Oh and I love Mark Ruffalo--that probably has something to do with it ;)

• Love 2