Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E15: Finale Part 1: The Girl Who Made A Splash

That is a good point. As much as I probably wouldn't touch Mikey and as a female, probably wouldn't be his friend because I'd be sick of trying to fend him off all the time, I do think he had a world weariness that reads beautifully on camera. He's the best model they have left. Not high praise, but something. lol Nyle is stunning but a bit vacant, though with his manliness I could see him doing high end vodka ads. Mame just does one look, which was really evident in her pics with her mum where mum had this boyant joy to her and Mame was "fierce"...again. Lacey is stunning but young and inexperienced. Most of her poses seem like they come straight from a magazine in that she saw it in a magazine, practiced it a million times and does it on cue.

Can't believe I'd ever say it but, Mikey for the win.

I can't go with Mikey for the win, because....well....lust for Nyle and because Mikey looks dirty almost all the time.

But in this last photoshoot, with his hair flat ironed.....I could see what people were talking about.  He almost looked like some dangerous Scandinavian hitman, you could almost hear the accent.  And if I didn't know it was Mikey, whoever was in that picture would have a dangerous....edgy appeal.  And, that sort of man is not even my type.  

He is just so skeevy and gross, but I now see what people were talking about with him.  I would be happy with a Nyle win, but I would understand a Mikey win.  There is something there....as long as he flat irons his hair, showers, and keeps his mouth shut.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 1

Holy smokes! on Mikey's shoot with Paul Reitz. I take back every negative thought I've had about him...he obviously knows what he's doing and just needs a good photographer to bring it out of him.

I mean, really! I've thought Mikey looked so white trash/methy all season, but those pics... omg.  The shorter hair works better also.  Wow.

• Love 4

Nyle made a comment about how he's more high fashion than Mikey. I had to make a double take to ensure I'm hearing it right. Nyle is handsome, sure, but the last person I think of when I think high fashion. Mikey can do it if he cleans up, bun his hair and shave that horrible facial hair.

Nyle made a comment about recently getting into modelling, so maybe he doesn't really know what high fashion means.  He may think it means doing ads for high end commercial products.  I think that is definitely something Nyle can do better than Mikey, because I think Nyle's look has more mass appeal.  

• Love 3

Nyle made a comment about how he's more high fashion than Mikey. I had to make a double take to ensure I'm hearing it right. Nyle is handsome, sure, but the last person I think of when I think high fashion. Mikey can do it if he cleans up, bun his hair and shave that horrible facial hair.

Given the 'instruction' that Tyra gives the hamsters, I figure Nyle is probably somewhat confused about high fashion and what it entails.

• Love 3

I am going to dismiss the personalities portrayed. It IS difficult BUT... masses of financial/occupational successes are dipshits. It's not unusual.

*JUSTIN is gorgeous.*

Frankly, Mame thoroughly overshadows Lacey. And, she is a very good high fashion model. She really is. Furthermore, I think that she and Justin make a hot, hoT, hOT, HOT couple.

Since, I am relegating personality to the back burner, Mikey did look fantastic with his hair flat ironed. I liked the look--a lot.

The sleaze look was vanquished. Maybe it is a woman's world, now--that Zappo(')s representative certainly was hungrily licking her chops and salivating over Mikey. If a man had behaved in that manner on the show...

I am not a Nyle 'he's my boyfriend' fan, but he did look delicious stretched across that bed while draped in that suit. A thought or two flitted through my mind :-)

I am sick and tired of ALL of them whining and whinging about their background. They all need to shut the hell up and model.

Eh, Mame for the win.

• Love 4

Yeah like RCharter has mentioned, I think he is confusing high fashion and high end commercial. Latter one is Nyle to a t: expensive watches, liquor, suits... he will pull it off (no pun intended with the suit lol) with high flying colors, but yeah, not high fashion.

I mean, really! I've thought Mikey looked so white trash/methy all season, but those pics... omg.  The shorter hair works better also.  Wow.

I was actually surprised in the beginning when his Ty-over was this long beach hair. I was seeing something more like Erik Northman in season 1 of True Blood. lol

short enough to show off the bone structure and long enough to pull it back if needed.

Edited by vavera4ka
  • Love 2

Yeah. Nyle depicts 'luxuriousness' well. However, in the Nyle vs. Mikey bout, Mikey ( although I state this with a tad of squeamishness) is a better overall model.

Actually, the remaining four models are so 'different' that they are not comparable. Each of them has a true strength and a hindering weakness.

• Love 3

Lacey's edit this week reminds me of C15 Chelsey. Which is to say, completely and totally awesome, but a clear attempt by the editors to make her look overly competitive.

There's likely to be wide disagreement about this, but I agree. I read what we saw as likely being cultivated statements. To be clear, she actually said everything, but there was odd pacing, a kind of breezyness to them, I've come to associate with someone not saying something completely seriously.  Heck, I've deleted my recording, but I'm wondering if she was even wearing the same clothes during all of those Talking Heads (in the last episode I mean) or not.

Frankly, Mame thoroughly overshadows Lacey. And, she is a very good high fashion model. She really is. 

My issue with Mame is that there's a kind of cold quality to her expressions (Lacey called it "regal", but I think that's a generous term for it) that I think may work very well for specific jobs, but is dead wrong for what Nylon, Zappos... that kind of stuff... represents.  To be fair to Mame it's probably a pretty good look for a Paris Runway, and that's no small thing, so I guess the question here is really what this version of the show is looking for.

So Paris Runway?  Mame would have it in a pinch. Any kind of It-Girl a reader could identify with?  Mame would be lousy at (and for) that.

Maybe it is a woman's world, now--that Zappo(')s representative certainly was hungrily licking her chops and salivating over Mikey. If a man had behaved in that manner on the show...

It was pretty grotesque viewing (to be clear it would be equally so if we saw a male client do the same over a female model). 

Given the 'instruction' that Tyra gives the hamsters, I figure Nyle is probably somewhat confused about high fashion and what it entails.

This is supposing that Tyra herself even knows.

• Love 2

When his pictures look good, its because there is some depth behind them, maybe because he has experienced the difficulties of life and so he has felt a range of emotions and can easily be in touch with them.

That is a good point. As much as I probably wouldn't touch Mikey and as a female, probably wouldn't be his friend because I'd be sick of trying to fend him off all the time, I do think he had a world weariness that reads beautifully on camera. He's the best model they have left.

I see your points but it also put me in mind of Faulkner's quote about writing: "A writer needs three things, experience, observation, and imagination, any two of which, at times any one of which, can supply the lack of the others."

Doesn't every ANTM cycle talk about how much modeling is related to acting? Actors come from all walks of life and have all kinds of experiences and yet the best ones can slip into any role and make it their own while still conveying the intended emotions/effects.

• Love 3

Glad they didn't show Bello at all this episode. Hopefully he doesn't appear in the final runway either.

The fact that I was actively looking for him is a big clue to how bored I was by this episode.

Hahaha, I'm glad it wasn't just me. I was intently searching for him when they were all standing in that lobby.

• Love 1

I see your points but it also put me in mind of Faulkner's quote about writing: "A writer needs three things, experience, observation, and imagination, any two of which, at times any one of which, can supply the lack of the others."

I think a Faulkner reference in a thread about America's Next Top Model deserves something more than just a thumbs-up. Kafka--I'd expect. Orwell--big deal. But Faulkner deserves a slow clap.
  • Love 5

I'm just amazed that the two guys I find the most aesthetically attractive managed to be in the final four. That never happens.

But yeah, this was a wholly useless filler episode. Please kick some people off this show so we can crown a winner and finally get off this crazy train.

• Love 1

Mame, from the very beginning, was the only one who I thought had the goods to make it in the real world. Not commercially, but high fashion and catwalk. Lacey is very pretty, but she lacks height. Nyle is nowhere near high fashion- there is something retro 90s and kind of cheesy about his look. Mikey's features are unremarkable and quite bland. Cute guys in "real life", sure, but not model material.

I don't know, I see Nyle's look as more timeless than anything else.  I don't think there has ever been a time where a guy that looked like him wasn't going to be a one of the best looking guys in the room.  John Hamm had the look for MadMen in the 60's when he was supposed to be a stone fox, the look was popular in the 80's, the 90's and the 50's.  I see guys that look like Nyle currently modelling for Calvin Klien and in high end fragrance commercials.  If anything, I think Mikey's look is much more a throwback to the 90's with the long hair.  Mame could certainly be a cat walk model, she has the look for it.  I'm not entirely sure about high end, I don't know how many traditionally pretty girls do high end modelling work.  I actually think Hadassah might be a better high end model since she has such a unique look....almost ugly pretty.  And maybe Courtney when she grows up a little.

I agree that Courtney had a lot of potential (she's actually a dead ringer for the girl in Thomas Sabo's ads, I don't know how to link it, but google it and you'll se what I mean - is it her?).

I can see Mickey in anything, preferably high fashion - catwalks, pictures from catwalks, high end brand perfume ads, you name it.

Nyle could do well in high end products, the kind Roger Federer has the monopole of. I still like my Roger way better than no personality Nyle, and in an imaginary world where Roger Federer retired and Micky and Nyle were the only possible replacements available, I'd still go with M.

Mamé is less versatile but she would for for catwalks/high fashion, but not for more commercial.

Lacey seems very bland to me, but she's very versatile, I can see her in many ads mid-tier, she can be the girl next door selling you anyghing from shampoo to laundry detergent. But she's not high fashion. Hell, Devin is more high fashion than she is (actually HE is my dream model as a photographer, together with Mickey, but that's just me, and I don't generally do fashion).    

• Love 3

Lacey seems very bland to me, but she's very versatile, I can see her in many ads mid-tier, she can be the girl next door selling you anyghing from shampoo to laundry detergent. But she's not high fashion. Hell, Devin is more high fashion than she is (actually HE is my dream model as a photographer, together with Mickey, but that's just me, and I don't generally do fashion).    

yeah, I see lacey as that girl who can sell Prell Shampoo or Design Imposers fragrance.  Anything being marketed to young girls.

The more I think about it, the more I like Devin's picture with the dog.  There was such a high-brow humor in it.  I guess it was the one time the eyebrow thing really worked in his favor.  I still think Devin would be better in acting, he is so outrageous and if he could harness his personality into acting, he could totally be the "gay best friend" character for so many shows.

• Love 2

The more I think about it, the more I like Devin's picture with the dog.

yeah, I see lacey as that girl who can sell Prell Shampoo or Design Imposers fragrance.  Anything being marketed to young girls.

The more I think about it, the more I like Devin's picture with the dog.  There was such a high-brow humor in it.  I guess it was the one time the eyebrow thing really worked in his favor.  I still think Devin would be better in acting, he is so outrageous and if he could harness his personality into acting, he could totally be the "gay best friend" character for so many shows.

I love that picture!  Can you picture a scenario where Mapplethorpe had met Devin? They would have made to-the-ages pictures together :)

• Love 3

I love that picture!  Can you picture a scenario where Mapplethorpe had met Devin? They would have made to-the-ages pictures together :)

I'm not that cultured, so I just looked him up and yes, I think that would have been a fashion meet up made in heaven!

• Love 1

I'm not that cultured, so I just looked him up and yes, I think that would have been a fashion meet up made in heaven!

Glad you see it too! It would have been not fashion but art for art's sake - and yes, maybe I'm on the wrong forum here! But that guy is any photographer's dream. He has these features that can make iconic pictures, as do Courtney and Mickey. Sorry, I'm repeating myself, it's just the photographer in me that cannot stop salivating at thre potential :-) 

• Love 2

Glad you see it too! It would have been not fashion but art for art's sake - and yes, maybe I'm on the wrong forum here! But that guy is any photographer's dream. He has these features that can make iconic pictures, as do Courtney and Mickey. Sorry, I'm repeating myself, it's just the photographer in me that cannot stop salivating at thre potential :-) 

Oh no, you're not on the wrong forum, I'm sure there are people that are way more cultured and in the know than I am.

I wouldn't have agreed with you, except for that dog picture.  I actually think the dog pictures overall were probably my favorite pictures.  They seemed to bring out the best in everyone, or at least their strongest abilities. Devin's dog picture was probably the only picture of the season where I didn't see fashion, but rather, I saw art.  I saw a story in that picture, almost like you can imagine Devin was some eccentric billionaire who loved his dog and had this special photograph/piece commissioned for him.  

• Love 1

Totally agree

Oh no, you're not on the wrong forum, I'm sure there are people that are way more cultured and in the know than I am.

I wouldn't have agreed with you, except for that dog picture.  I actually think the dog pictures overall were probably my favorite pictures.  They seemed to bring out the best in everyone, or at least their strongest abilities. Devin's dog picture was probably the only picture of the season where I didn't see fashion, but rather, I saw art.  I saw a story in that picture, almost like you can imagine Devin was some eccentric billionaire who loved his dog and had this special photograph/piece commissioned for him.  

Totally agree about the dog pictures, I think they were the closer to high fashion, which for me means the closer to art for art's sake, that we had this season, and that's why they were so great.

• Love 1

Actually I see Devin as a host or co-host of some tv show. his crazy personality reminds me of Carla (?)from Top Chef. She seems to have found a good place for herself on that lunch time show.
  • Love 1

Actually I see Devin as a host or co-host of some tv show. his crazy personality reminds me of Carla (?)from Top Chef. She seems to have found a good place for herself on that lunch time show.

I really liked Carla, and I'm so happy to see her doing well (and on a solid network no less!  go girl!)

I feel like Carla was a little more toned down than Devin, but I could certainly see him doing some MTV style show where he gets to be loud and crazy and himself.

I mean, this modelling thing doesn't seem to be working for him, and thats fine.  He has a very strong personality and he should focus on opportunities around that.  Maybe take a modelling gig if one of his 6 agencies calls.

• Love 2

I feel like Carla was a little more toned down than Devin,

she was, but she is also older than Devin.

Even crazy loud people mature LOL

But he definitely needs to try to get into entertainment industry while he still has some kind of exposure, there's a good possibility that he'll do well. He just needs to cast his net wider, don't focus on modeling. Like you said, take a gig if it comes your way, but go knock on other doors, plenty of them in LA

I like Devin because despite of editing (I assume) trying to push the "bitch snitch" angle, he strikes me like a genuinely kind person. You root for kind people to do well :)

Edited by vavera4ka
  • Love 1

Since this show has no credibility in the high fashion world, then that kind of model in fact seems like a more realistic winner to have.

• Love 3

I like Devin because despite of editing (I assume) trying to push the "bitch snitch" angle, he strikes me like a genuinely kind person. You root for kind people to do well :)

Devin seems very "what you see is what you get" personality-wise. If he could learn to rein himself in (and this will come with age but the exposure he has right now is probably his best shot, so he should use the strongest bit in his tack room), I do think his brand of crazy is likable enough to get him work. Not necessarily modeling work, but doing something in the entertainment business in front of some kind of camera.

My verdict: if nothing else, this episode proves that "Zappos Couture" is just as much an oxymoron as, well, America's Next Top Model. Re the "cobrasnake" shoot, the four remaining models stepped up their game. Since it's guys vs. girls, I'm judging the guys in both challenges, then the girls. As much as I hate to admit it, Mikey was good in the first challenge and pretty great in the second. Melissa, the Zappos couture exec flirting with Mikey may have had something to do with the latter. As if her involvement with Zappos alone isn't proof enough of Melissa's bad taste, there was her flirtation with Mikey. Then again, what else could be expected from a woman who wears fur in the desert?  Then there's Nyle, who was his usual, stunning self. Losing his interpreter could have stopped Nyle, but instead it only made him better than ever in both challenges, proving that he's not the one-look pony that Mikey thought he was after all.

Re the girls, Lacey did great. She was sexy, but not skanky. While I usually find one model deliberately upstaging another during their photo shoot tacky, in this case, given Mame's snuggle-fest with Mikey behind Justin's back in the previous episode, I'll make an exception. Speaking of Mame, while her photos were great too, her near dalliance with Mikey killed what little good stock she ever had with me. IMO, if Mame was really serious about Justin, she wouldn't have given Mikey the time of day when she didn't have to, let alone shared a bed with him, however innocently. Devin's interference didn't help, either. If Mame & Mikey are the ones who get eliminated, it's karmic justice, as far as I'm concerned.

Since when was this America's sweetheart?

Given these standards Naomi would never have made the cut with her temper

Kate Moss and her various problems and bad boys....?

IMHO it would be interesting to see a modeling show with less backstory, sob story and less drama...

more modeling...where the winner would actually go on to be a working model, a well known model

ok maybe not a supermodel or even a "top" LOL

Other countries versions focus on young, tall slim girls - which is what models usually are

JMO it is good this is the last season cause Tyra went so off the rails with sob

stories and people who had NO chance of really being a working model

• Love 3

Since when was this America's sweetheart?

Given these standards Naomi would never have made the cut with her temper

Kate Moss and her various problems and bad boys....?

IMHO it would be interesting to see a modeling show with less backstory, sob story and less drama...

more modeling...where the winner would actually go on to be a working model, a well known model

ok maybe not a supermodel or even a "top" LOL

Other countries versions focus on young, tall slim girls - which is what models usually are

JMO it is good this is the last season cause Tyra went so off the rails with sob

stories and people who had NO chance of really being a working model

I think you've beautifully summed up most of the big issues that have been driving me nuts about this show. Thank you!

I still don't understand if this show wants us to root for models based on their potential, or their personnalities, or their sob stories, or how hot we find them, or who we'd like to meet IRL.

Based on the posts I read, I think we all have different criterias based on which we define who we root for, and that's all right - this is probably more entertainment that real model competition, after all. I still put model potential first, even if I know it's silly because it is not what ANTM is for, but I do respect all other choices and - wanted to say it because we're alomost done with this show - it's been a blast reading how other people can have such different opinions, and why. Also, TBH, often this thread was more entertaining than the show. So thank you all for the snark all the time I was lurking :-)

• Love 2

Can you imagine a scenario when Mapplethorpe had met Devin? They would have made to-the-ages pictures together. :)

Maybe, but imagine what Mapplethorpe would have done if he had met Nyle? They might have had a field day-and taken some great pictures, too.

While ITA that marketability is important, so is likability. The way I see it, there has to be something likable about a model to make me want to buy what they're selling, or at least pay attention to them.

• Love 1

Likable? 

What do any of us know about any active models really?

I think models have to show off the client's clothes or product - unless a supermodel or celeb with an endorsement deal

I think some of the hamsters have shown themselves to be likable or unlikable where it counts - with photogs, casting people, etc

the top 4 are all good IMHO

Now..Hadassah and Devin and Courtney ? all hard to direct

H and C complain...Devin does not listen

In the long run it is a business 

• Love 1

Latter one is Nyle to a t: expensive watches, liquor, suits... he will pull it off (no pun intended with the suit lol) with high flying colors, but yeah, not high fashion.

So do I!

Oh, wait. You mean, you hope he pulls it off in the competition.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

Maybe, but imagine what Mapplethorpe would have done if he had met Nyle? They might have had a field day-and taken some great pictures, too.

While ITA that marketability is important, so is likability. The way I see it, there has to be something likable about a model to make me want to buy what they're selling, or at least pay attention to them.

Nah, Mapplethorpe wouldn't have gone for a classical preppy model. All his male model had some edginess or weirdness in them.

Likeability might be important for a supermodel (and I say might because it's still a question mark for me). As for the anonymous or not so anonymous ones I see in fashion magazines ? I couldn't care less about their personality, all I care is whether I like what they're trying to sell. Same for those in cosmetics ads. Frankly, I never even thought about their personality.

Now personality might be important to book the job, but if the brand really wants you? You could be Cruella Devil and the world will think you're a harmless kitten if that's the story the brand want to sell. 

I don't think personality/likeability has a thing to do in the real world and sooooo many examples could be given. Models are selling aspiration. If they make something look good and convince me that buying it/wearing it will imbue me with same status or attractiveness, then that's what's up.

• Love 1

A model's ability to look good and make a product look good is important too, but finding something to like about them helps, the way I see it. 

I do think that a person  can exude their personality in a photo.  I mean how many times have you seen a picture of a generally shitty person smiling and it looks like an angry smile?  Or how many times have you seen a generally goofy person try to look serious and they still come off looking goofy/jokester?  So I think if a person has nice, soft, likable traits, that can come through on a photo.  The same way Tyra says you can see warmth in the eyes, or a smile in the eyes...and yes, thats right I'm quoting Tyra Banks!

So, in that vein I see your point.